Forum Settings
Forums

Do You Think You'll Reach 1000 Anime Watched in Your Lifetime?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Nov 7, 2020 5:42 PM
Apr 2013
Uhh, I don't think 1000 completed shows is all that hard. I'm at 850, will probably not watch too much during November due to National Novel Writing Month, but I can do one 12 episodes show per day without problems, when I don't use the time on studying. So, I should be done by May '21. Does it change something? Not really. I mean, with every anime I watched I understood my tastes a little bit better, some shows showed me what kind of story beads I don't like, some the other way around. Some showed me new kinds of genres I fell in love with (YagaKimi and Ro-Kyu-Bu, thank you!), some showed me genres I dislike.
But I think thats kinda true for every number of watched anime, and reaching 1000 isn't really like some elite status.
Nov 7, 2020 7:27 PM

Sep 2016
Rishiri said:
Excluding sequels, OVAs and specials, probably not.

This will be true for many people.

Going by this criteria, I'm maybe half way there. I see myself reaching that 1000 mark in my lifetime, but my MAL page will likely show well over 2000.
If I liked a show, I'm likely going to watch all/most of the OVAs/Specials too.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 7, 2020 7:34 PM

Jul 2015
haha not possible. I'm still on 100 something and as you see i've had this account since 2015
Dec 5, 2020 2:05 PM
Oct 2020
ISOQuorra said:
I've always thought it was possible, but as the years go on it seems less and less likely. I've been watching anime since 2015, and right now I'm just 5 short from 500 anime completed. But my pace has definitely gone down every year. I used to be able to binge whole series in a single sitting, and now I'm lucky if I can even have enough time to watch 1 episode a day. I'm not actively trying to reach 1000 Completed or have any specific milestone; more just that I've accepted that I'm going to continue to watch anime all the time as it's currently my main hobby. My only real goal is just to not take longer than a year to finish shows I've started.

Only counting TV series, my first year watching I had completed around 50 shows, and last year it slowed down to 25, not including seasonal. Mathematically speaking, I'll probably get to 1000 eventually, but it will take considerably longer than it has just to get me to 500

PrOxAnto said:
1000 anime entries or 1000 different anime series?
For example, One Piece has like 50+ entries on MAL iirc.

If judged by entries alone, I'm close to 1000, you get there pretty fast considering there's enough entries that are just OVA's or specials for series you've seen already.

If judged by separate anime series, I have a LONG way to go probably.
I don't know how many anime series exactly, but I'm probably around 200 to 300 different series.
That is very true. If I just go off of individual entries in MAL, I'm already at ~500 entries and I can probably get to 1000 within a handful of years.

If I ignore OVA's and Specials and only count TV series and Movies by looking at the stats on Completed, then my total is only 341, and it will take considerably longer. And only counting TV entries doesn't even get me to 300 (241).

Probably the most difficult thing to do though would be to get to 1000 individual series. According to my own calculations, I've watched ~170 separate series, only counting TV entries and ignoring sequel seasons. According to my MALGraph (which considers franchises as having at least 2 titles), I'm only at 119.

So like, I'm very far away from 1000, depending on how you look at it.

nyugvo6 said:
1000+ entry guy here. I have a lot to say so I'll try to keep it short.
it took me 10 years to get here.
I can finish 200+ anime per year (I've tested it. this includes shorts, ovas and movies btw)
the mal challenge is a very good way to motivate yourself and to broaden your taste.
I wouldn't have come this far just by casually watching anime, like turning on the tv.
I have goals in mind. stuff like: I want to finish this series today. I want to watch all the extra stuff related to this series. I want to complete the anime challenge. I want to complete 200 anime this year.
currently it's: I want to finish everything I've downloaded. then to watch every anime by gainax. then by satoshi kon. (almost done with this one unfortunately)
my greatest goal of all is to find something better than eva. that show was the one that turned me from a casual watcher into someone seriously interested in anime.
the more anime you watch the lower your average score will get, this is natural and you have to accept it. you're not becoming jaded, or started hating anime. you just have a better perspective and you're a better judge now.
you must learn to drop shows. watching things you're not interested in will set you back more than it's worth.
you have to step out of your comfort zone sooner or later. (mal challenge helped me a lot with this) you will be able to find shows you like in genres you dislike overall, trust me. if I sticked to my personal preferences: horror, psychological, gore, tits, postapocalypse, swordfights, cyberpunk, I'd be around 200 entries or so.
if you're stuck not knowing what to watch, try the reccs at the bottom of your favorite entries. I try to keep my plan to watch list around 100. but it just gets longer this way. if it doesn't help, look up the studio that made your favorites, favorite directors or the artists if you loved the art aspect.
every decade has it's dominant genres and you'll find a lot of clones and different takes on the same subject. the key to watching a lot of anime is to jump around in time, so it will feel less same-y.
even if it feels all bad sometimes, after every 50 entries I find a new gem I will treasure forever. it's a journey worth investing into. hold onto series that you know you will like, and watch those as a treat if you feel like you've only seen bad shows for a while.
don't buy into mal scores, the only thing they represent is how popular a show was. I find 7/10 shows to be way more satisfying than some higher rated ones.
it's not a race, take your time. you're here to have fun and enjoy yourself. if you can, read up on the creators and studios and the influences. it's not necessary at all but you might gain some insight and appreciate certain things more.

a note to myself if somehow my past version gets to read this some day: don't bother watching anything I've rated 5/10 or below. if a show is just okay, you can spend your time watching something else. I don't regret watching most but I know I could've spent my time with better things. and trust yourself, rebuild 3 is THAT bad.
I love your response so much. It's very well put together and seems very thought out. Even for people not actively trying to reach any particular milestone, this is very good advice.

I definitely agree that challenges and stuff is a good way to broaden your interests. MAL by itself is a very good platform for being able to discover new shows. I wouldn't have found nearly the number of anime I've watched if I just stuck to the stuff airing on Toonami and [AS]. Looking at Recommendations and Reviews also helped whenever I needed something interesting to watch.

Also: "you must learn to drop shows. watching things you're not interested in will set you back more than it's worth." Definitely. Though I follow the 3-episode rule I don't generally push myself to watch things I don't like. I could care less about padding my completed. There are so many other good shows I could be watching

xiGremory said:
I am getting close. I don't have much on MAL as I just recently made an account, but if my calculations are correct, then I should reach 1000 by the end of this year. Getting ready for this weekend where I can spend some time figuring out what Fall 2020 anime I want to watch first. Already watched the first episode of Noblesse, and that looks pretty good. By far though, I'm most looking forward to the last season of AoT and season 2 of YNN. Might hold off on watching and make one of those number 1000
Welcome to MyAnimeList, man. I hope you find a lot of good shows to watch. Lowkey kind of scared that you have a plan to go from 60 to 1000 completed in 2 months. Don't know if that's physically possible, but godspeed to you. Let me know if you ever want some recommendations

I apologize for the late response, but allow me to clarify what I meant. I only recently made my account on the website, but I have been watching anime for some 15 years now. Just haven't gotten around to adding everything onto my list here.
Dec 5, 2020 2:08 PM
Sep 2020
i think that ill be able to make it to 1000 eventually
Dec 5, 2020 2:10 PM

Jul 2020
I don't think that's so far-fetched, actually. I was able to watch 150 different shows over the course of 5 months so I think that it is quite possible, as long as I stick with shorter series.
Dec 5, 2020 2:18 PM

May 2016
no, but not like there will ever be 1000 anime worthy of a watch
Dec 5, 2020 2:37 PM

Aug 2017
It's not a far off dream I'm getting there slowly but surely.
Dec 5, 2020 2:39 PM

May 2019
I probably will end up hitting 1000. Not anytime soon tho, since I don't really have that much time for it. I'm just getting into manga rn.
Dec 5, 2020 2:40 PM

May 2020
No, way too many things to do and learn in life

𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕘

Dec 5, 2020 2:53 PM
Aug 2017
I've only been watching anime for a little over 3 years now and I've completed over 2500 anime, so I think it is 100% possible for anyone to complete 1000 animes. I gotta say that my experience of watching and my taste in anime has changed and improved drastically over the years.
Z3R0215Dec 5, 2020 2:59 PM
Dec 5, 2020 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
I don't count, and I don't use the list portion of this site(I rarely come here to begin with) but I watch a lot.. I complete around 80-100 a year these days, and though I haven't always watched as much anime as I do now, I've been a huge fan since the 90s.

Like I said, I don't count, so I don't know how much I've watched, but it's a lot. I don't know if it's reached a thousand yet or what, but it's possible. If I haven't reached it it's very close, and I will most definitely probably reach it relatively soon.

I just know how much I watch on average these days. It's hard to say how much I watched 10+ years ago, as I didn't watch it as regularly and stream it back then...Most of the anime I watched in the 90s I had purchased from suncoast or magazines, and I still bought anime after the millennium and I still buy anime to this day. I started downloading anime in the early 2000s(before streaming became a thing). The first anime I pirated(sorry guys :() was the Cowboy Bebop movie back in 2001. It was when it was still in theater in Japan. Like many other pirated movies back then, someone filmed it from the seats in the theater. IIRC I had to download a separate file for the fansub, I was just so excited for it I couldn't contain myself. I still bought it when it released in the U.S. without question. Me and my friends had downloaded quite a bit of anime moving forward, but I usually just use the streaming pirate sites these days. :( Like I said, I still buy quite a bit of anime, and I do have subscriptions to several streaming services, but I prefer to use the pirate sites anyways because it has all of them on one site and it's easy to use.
removed-userDec 5, 2020 5:53 PM
Dec 5, 2020 5:04 PM

Nov 2019
I want to watch Clannad so yes, definitely.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Dec 5, 2020 5:13 PM

Apr 2019
Probably 700+ at best, since the amount of good animes each year has dwindled.

I watch like 10+ shows per year now, so I'll reach that amount when I'm a grandpa.

Dec 5, 2020 5:30 PM
Jul 2018
If you count entries, then yes, soon in a few years.
If you only count individual series of normal length runtime (not counting sequels, specials etc..., just one entry per franchise) and movies longer than, let's say 30 minutes, then it will take a while, but it's possible.
My MAL list says that I have completed 359 TV entries, but there are a lot of sequels and some shorts inbetween too, so make it a 100 to... 150 ca?
removed-userDec 5, 2020 5:33 PM
Dec 5, 2020 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
er i said early 90s? I had seen anime back then, but I didn't start purchasing anime until the late 90s, sorry idk must have been a freudian slip or something. I really didn't become a huge fan of the medium until it started airing on Cartoon Network in the late 90s. I did watch anime before then with my dad usually on Saturday nights if I didn't have any friends over or something. The Science Fiction channel aired anime movies/ovas on Saturday nights. I think it started around 1992, but I'm not exactly sure when we first caught wind of it. I had a younger friend that was obsessed with Speed Racer, but I didn't like it at all. For some reason, when it aired on SciFi, I thought I heard it called aNEEMuh, so that's how I referred to it for a long time. I think cartoon network eventually "corrected" me with its more... "je ne sais quoi" pronunciation, but tbh, I like aNEEMuh better. I only say animay so people will know what I'm talking about.
Dec 5, 2020 6:10 PM

Jul 2020
Only if I bide my time and hold out hope. (Thanks, Gankutsuou.)
Dec 5, 2020 6:30 PM
Aug 2020
Not when there's only about 400 titles in the Harem genre
Dec 5, 2020 6:34 PM

Sep 2010
I'm almost there probably by Summer 2021 I should or even sooner.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 5, 2020 10:52 PM

Aug 2020
I don't think so, I'd probably reach up to 500.

♥️ 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓵𝓲𝓼𝓽 ♥️

“𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓵𝔂 𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮, 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪, 𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵 𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓲𝓭.” – 𝓣𝓪𝓲𝓰𝓪 𝓐𝓲𝓼𝓪𝓴𝓪

Dec 6, 2020 6:10 AM

Oct 2010
Dec 6, 2020 6:19 AM
May 2018
KrisMak1207 said:
Easy and possible within the next 2-3 years with the rate I'm going through them now.
then you are gonna reach the burnout phase faster than expected XD
Dec 6, 2020 6:31 AM

Apr 2019
Darth_InVader said:
KrisMak1207 said:
Easy and possible within the next 2-3 years with the rate I'm going through them now.
then you are gonna reach the burnout phase faster than expected XD

True that. But I said "with the rate I'm going through them now." So definitely I'll be slowing down somewhere down the line.

I was rushing desperately, trying to reach the light. When I thought I did, I reached a dead end instead. Then I decided I wanted to enter that light. And at the edge of it, I found you.
Dec 6, 2020 6:35 AM

Apr 2020
Yes i will drop more 600 piece of trash to do so
Dec 6, 2020 6:37 AM

Feb 2020
If its only a watched criteria, then i think i have already reached ( because i have try out a lot out their)
But if its a completed criteria then it will take time. But still a possible scenario in few years.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 6, 2020 6:49 AM

Jul 2015
I'm about halfway there if we're including entries. Otherwise, I'm not even close with regard to franchises.
"Noblesse oblige, I pray for your continuing service as a savior." - Juiz
Mundum divit factum, atque pulchre. (The world is full of abundance and beauty.) - Re:CREATORS
My Candies (2023): Bonus Candies (2023):(2022): Bonus Candies (2022):

Dec 8, 2020 2:03 AM

Jun 2011
I completed 1000 anime as of this year... very proud of myself. My #999 was Galaxy Express 999
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 12, 2021 7:35 PM

Aug 2017
I just completed my 600th anime. I will try to reach 1000 before the end of the year.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 12, 2021 7:50 PM

Apr 2017
I have over 1000, not that different from 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, especially when your favorites don't change.
cunnysseur
Mar 12, 2021 7:52 PM

Dec 2020
This is awkward lmao

30 character limit

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Mar 12, 2021 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly don't think its realistic. I'm coming up on my 1 year animeversary and an only at a little over 80 completions, and that was with quarantine. Likely take me over a decade, I'll probably top out at 600-700 lifetime
Mar 12, 2021 8:10 PM

Jan 2020
Probably. Would take about 5 - 10 years though.
Mar 12, 2021 8:11 PM

Oct 2017
Eventually. Maybe in 10 years give or take unless I speedrun hentai
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 12, 2021 8:15 PM

Nov 2017
I don't think so, I've been watching anime for 14 years and as you can see in my list I've barely watched any
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Mar 12, 2021 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
probably not, 1000 animes seems like a high number maybe 700 at most
Mar 12, 2021 9:27 PM

Apr 2017
Easily. Especially if I were to add all the shows I saw before I made a MAL account that I couldn't be assed to list so far.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Mar 12, 2021 9:33 PM

May 2016
Probably not. I watch too slowly. Ain't gonna happen.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 12, 2021 9:34 PM

Sep 2020
I probably will within the next decade
Mar 12, 2021 9:44 PM

Dec 2015
My goal is to get to 1000 days worth of watched anime, probably I won't succeed.
Mar 12, 2021 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
Henceforth, I am unable to can......
Mar 12, 2021 9:52 PM

Jun 2012
Getting to 1000 takes a while, you can "cheat" by watching a lot of films, short series, OVA's and specials.

Mar 12, 2021 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
I've completed 150 shows in 7 months so probably yes.
Mar 12, 2021 10:09 PM

May 2020
Nah I have something called a life and I'll easily give up on anime and move on to other mediums

Something that’s supposed to die and doesn’t… will eventually rot away , whether it’s a man or a nation
Mar 12, 2021 10:11 PM

Jun 2020
Nope, schools are starting and I easily get bored of things.
Mar 12, 2021 10:27 PM

Sep 2012
do i count for this?

--
what are the rules?
NO ova? no Special? no movies? no music type ?

if no rules,,, i already did that xD
Mar 13, 2021 12:03 AM

Jul 2013
The odds will be against me, so no! I won't be able to watch 1000 anime in my lifetime.

Besides, I prefer quality over quantity. Substance over style, anime-wise.

I leave such crazy challenges to the hardcore dweebs. I rather dedicate myself to science like Jimmy Neutron than to watch that many anime.

I'm the future engineer not a basement dweller.
Kurt_IrvingMar 13, 2021 12:09 AM
Mar 13, 2021 12:26 AM
Feb 2015
I will al ready be surprised if I manage to reach 500 let alone 1000
Mar 13, 2021 2:59 AM

May 2020
I don't think I'll ever reach that amount because my standards for enjoyable anime would definitely increase. I would totally get bored of watching anime at that point.
Apr 14, 2021 8:08 AM

Feb 2019
Ye, easily.only 100 anime needs to complete 1000 anime.
Apr 14, 2021 8:31 AM

Apr 2016
I'll have over 800 completed after this season ends so I think in 1 or 2 years I'll have over 1000 (Hentai not included 😅)

Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Do you find modern disclaimers to be annoying?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime with least plotholes

JoeChip - Yesterday

34 by APolygons2 »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general?

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

22 by RainyEvenings »»
29 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - 9 hours ago

17 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
43 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - 10 hours ago

42 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.