Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Oct 9, 2017 4:03 PM

Aug 2015
"Why?" Nice! Good OST, animation and story. Trying to accept and understand the fact that a skeleton marries a human.
Oct 9, 2017 4:44 PM

Jun 2017
I love the chibi skeleton xD

Did the fairy hitting the window scare anyone else?

I really liked this first episode, coming in not really knowing what to expect, but i'm hooked!
Oct 9, 2017 6:05 PM

Nov 2007
Seeing all the comments regarding Chise being the bride. Haha!

But honestly, this is one of the most beautiful manga I have ever read. Chise is one of my all time favourite heroines in manga. Anyone would think her to have an indifferent personality because of what she had gone through but she remained one of the most selfless characters I have come across throughout the manga.

Elias is s bit weird, but I won't say he doesn't have the charm of his own.

That being said, Mahoutsukai no Yome is one of the most unique stories I have ever read. Hopefully the anime will make more fans for this manga in other parts of the world (it certainly doesn't need many in Japan because it's already very popular).

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 9, 2017 7:03 PM

Jan 2011
remember hearing about this one being good ages ago so was really looking forward to seeing it despite all the confusion with it's air date.

this story seems like it can be really interesting ,animation and music are beautiful just seeing that OP makes me feel like this is gonna be quite sad i mean it already reminds me sorta of a depressing Shirayuki
Oct 9, 2017 8:03 PM

Apr 2016
I wasn't really sold on it tbh and can't see myself becoming a big fan although it seems kind of cute

Probably keep watching it just for the sake of having another completed show on my list lmao
Oct 9, 2017 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
By making Chise already familiar with the fantasy elements (which are unique and interesting), we get to skip the whole, "MC gets freaked out" part, but at the same time, she isn't familiar with them, allowing the audience to put our shoes into her position more.
I'm really dissapointed in how Chise's background is revealed. That one shot of her flashback conveyed everything we needed to know about her, in a subtle way, but then it was ruined by actually explaining it.
I don't get why she'll be the Mage's bride, when their relationship appears a lot more parent-child.
I don't love this as much as others, but it's definetely one of my favorites for this season.
Oct 10, 2017 12:43 AM

Aug 2011
Easily AOTS, hand down
Oct 10, 2017 5:02 AM

Oct 2013
I didnt mark for watching initally till i saw voting this was first on coming season.

No disappointment at all and i love elias. He's reliable and cute.
Oct 10, 2017 7:20 AM

Nov 2010
I really love this. I'm really excited for the next episode!
Oct 10, 2017 8:22 AM

Mar 2013
Watched the OVA and I love It... And this first Episode isn't disappoint me at all.

Good Music (Especially the OP is pretty good), Animation, and the story looks promising... Easily AOTS for me, Can't wait to watch more.
Oct 10, 2017 10:24 AM

Jun 2007
it was..... alright. hopefully it gets more interesting later
see you, space cowperson . . .
Oct 10, 2017 3:00 PM

Apr 2013

I wonder how i forgot to include these in my comment

Oct 10, 2017 7:03 PM
Jun 2017
great... i love the 1st episode of this series...
Oct 11, 2017 2:20 AM

Nov 2015
topazio said:
When is the second episode coming out? Can anyone provide a schedule of all the episodes?

Here :

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35062/Mahoutsukai_no_Yome/episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2017 10:16 AM
Sep 2017
to be honest, I love the soundtracks and the OP songs.. also the opening plots 😌
Oct 11, 2017 11:11 AM

Apr 2016
duderus said:

I wonder how i forgot to include these in my comment

So cute!!!! Hopefully we see more of these scenes...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Oct 11, 2017 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
kanekeren said:
She's selling herself, as you can see her signing herself away, because she just wants someone to go to after being unwanted by her family.
Also if you were thinking she was planning to sell her body, I have no idea what's going on in your mind, but that's horribly wrong. Watch the fucking episode again, it's clear.

Whole collar and chains is pretty much suggestive enough.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Oct 11, 2017 1:39 PM

Feb 2013
SO this guy buys a female calls her puppy and then wants to marry her.. Gross.. dropping it.. Not sure why so many people are into stuff like this
Oct 11, 2017 6:26 PM

Jul 2013
Pyoung said:
SO this guy buys a female calls her puppy and then wants to marry her.. Gross.. dropping it.. Not sure why so many people are into stuff like this

No offense and I actually love this show, but Hisoka perving over Gon is much weirder than Elias calling Chise puppy. Seems to me like you might have missed the point of this episode and how Elias works. Oh well lol
Oct 11, 2017 7:51 PM

Mar 2009
I guess it's fair to be a little creeped out or offended by such a relationship, but it depends on how the rest of the series deals with it. At the moment, he's really not forcing her to do anything.
Oct 11, 2017 8:26 PM

Feb 2013
Calal-Chan said:
Pyoung said:

No offense and I actually love this show, but Hisoka perving over Gon is much weirder than Elias calling Chise puppy. Seems to me like you might have missed the point of this episode and how Elias works. Oh well lol

Yeah I guess it's just a perception thing. I mean I loved Tokyo ghoul which is super dark and twisted lol.. For some reason though this just put a bad taste in my mouth.
Oct 11, 2017 8:35 PM

Jul 2013
Pyoung said:
Calal-Chan said:

Yeah I guess it's just a perception thing. I mean I loved Tokyo ghoul which is super dark and twisted lol.. For some reason though this just put a bad taste in my mouth.

Thank you for handling that with super great consideration. All I can say is don't let that small silly joke (which I actually dislike as well) ruin what might be a good show. :)
Oct 12, 2017 1:01 AM
Dec 2012
Put the manga on-hold and here I am.
I must say, this has been a really good adaptation.
Oct 12, 2017 5:16 AM
Aug 2016
I'm already charmed by this, looks promising.
Also, nice work by the voice actors too.
Oct 12, 2017 7:02 AM

May 2015
Pyoung said:

Lmao. You're hilarious man.

Oct 12, 2017 7:23 AM

Jun 2013
I have some minor concerns. If the series aims to build a romance between Chise and Elias, it will probably have some ambiguous Stockholm syndrome implications (and then we haven't even talked about Chise's age and the immense power imbalance between them lol). I say ambiguous, because at certain times in this episode it seems like Chise does have a choice in the matter, while other times not so much. For example, the thing with the fairies provided a chance for Chise to make a conscious decision to stay with Elias, and Elias breaking Chise's chain is obviously a symbolic gesture that implies Chise is not a slave. Well, the prospect of a romance is clearly weird and messy, but it could be interesting.

Otherwise I like Elias more than I expected; despite acting weird occasionally, and the implications of what he aims to do with Chise, he's an impeccably polite person with a soothing voice. His personality also complements Chise's gloomy and aloof disposition. Since I've seen the OVA's, I'm already predisposed to have sympathy for Chise. While she's little more than a victim in this episode, it's still easy to sympathize with her. She could be an interesting character down the line, if she starts showing more personality and develops some kind of a motivation.

One thing that bugs me is that for all we know, Chise didn't just sell herself as a slave, but literally gave herself away in the contract she signed, asking no compensation in return (because she just wanted to be taken in by someone, anyone). This can sort of make sense for her character, but what it really means is that the people facilitating the black market slave auction not only didn't get any kind of comeuppance - they made insane profit from Chise's misfortune (Ł5 million or something), without Chise really getting anything in return. (Sure, she got lucky, because Elias is probably the best thing that could have happened to her, but if it had been anyone else buying her?) I get that this isn't a "fight for great justice" kind of story, but it's still a depressing thought.

Besides potential for a messed up but interesting romance, and some character development, I have no idea what to expect from this show. And since the world of magic is presented with a lot of care so far, the idea of seeing more of it does make me curious. It's fine if it ends up being just some wish fulfillment story, but if it's even more than that, I think it has the right elements to become something special.

topazio said:
Also, this certainly may be uncomfortable depending on the part of the world you live in, but even though it's not common in most places for 15yo people to marry, the consent age varies from country to country (Japan, for example, is 13).

Nope, that is simply not true about Japan. Technically it is true on the national level, but every prefecture has laws that set the age of consent higher than that, and almost everywhere it's 18. There's like one small uninhabited island that's an exception, and that's it. I'm so tired of people spreading this stupid meme.
LeeTailorOct 12, 2017 7:42 AM
Oct 12, 2017 10:57 AM

Jun 2013
topazio said:
Okay, thanks for the correction I guess (?)

My issue isn't with you personally, so I apologize for the harsh words. I should know better that lashing out doesn't help anyone.
Oct 12, 2017 2:27 PM
Mar 2015
Great first episode for a manga I've been following for quite some time now. It was adapted very well and quite faithfully. A couple notes I've noticed throughout the thread though:

Sleigh Beggy is actually the correct term for the folklore that the author based the term off of. Some folks over at stack exchange had a thread about it that links to some of the folklore in question, if anybody is interested.

https://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/23149/what-is-a-slay-vega

A second note. I agree there are a couple of uncomfortable aspects about the power dynamic of the relationship. I felt that way about the manga too. The slight discomfort to me is the sign that the author is doing a great job, considering that stories are supposed to be evocative of emotions anyway.

Some of yall are getting super bizarrely defensive of the fact that others found this uncomfortable. I don't really care that it's an animated work of fiction. I'm not obligated to approach it with a detached shrug, nor am I going to because some weebs on here say I shouldn't.

No I'm not saying people should just call it bad and drop it. I'm saying that it's fine if people find it uncomfortable, because it means someone wrote something engaging. It would be without substance otherwise.
Oct 12, 2017 5:17 PM

Jan 2014
Ayyy it's finally here. Interesting story for sure, but I wonder if it will lose traction later.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 12, 2017 5:34 PM

Mar 2015
Yuichiro said:
MC looks a lot like Shirayuki from Akagami no Shirayukihime..

Yay I'm not the only one who thought that haha
Oct 13, 2017 2:31 AM

Jul 2015
i gradually understand how to continue an anime or not.
it's simply if it catches your interest or not. duh :v

and this one catches my interest.

but, maybe the next episode wont, who knows. it's been a long time i start to watch anime again.

oh, i like chise's seiyuu.
Anime Song Bass Vocal Transcriber. I sell my works legally on dlmarket.jp.
https://www.dlmarket.jp/manufacture/index.php?consignors_id=17053
Oct 13, 2017 6:45 AM
Jun 2015
Exeterna said:

and btw its slay vega in the manga not sleigh beggy

Is that so? I owned the first 2 physical volume from Seven Seas and it was actually written Sleigh Beggy
Oct 13, 2017 6:49 AM

May 2015
Rawa_Rauf said:
Exeterna said:

and btw its slay vega in the manga not sleigh beggy

Is that so? I owned the first 2 physical volume from Seven Seas and it was actually written Sleigh Beggy

Beggy is the official translation, while Vega is the fan translation. Tbh, Vega looks and sounds better, but oh well I guess.

Oct 13, 2017 3:47 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing first episode! It has kept me glued to the screen and I love the music too. Will be sure to keep a close eye on this show throughout the season. Very intriguing characters and world.
Oct 13, 2017 4:29 PM

Jul 2009
One heck of a strange first episode, but in a good way. Technical-wise, it has superb animation, visuals, and soundtrack. I'm not sold on the premise yet, but I'm already enjoying the relationship between the two protagonists. I look forward to seeing Chise develop and hopefully evolve from her timid self.
Oct 14, 2017 2:39 AM

May 2017
My first thought while watching this episode was that both the OP and ED are amazing, I love the music in this one. The visuals are great though. I'm not that into the premise as of now, might change. Only problem I have currently is that I'm not comfy with the relationship between the protagonists yet. Hopefully the flow of the next few episodes will help me adjust.

I'm considering watching the OVAs just to get some backstory and context.
Oct 14, 2017 12:42 PM
Jun 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Rawa_Rauf said:

Beggy is the official translation, while Vega is the fan translation. Tbh, Vega looks and sounds better, but oh well I guess.

Well yeah, in the Steins;Gate VN one of the main routes were named Vega and Altair and since then I really liked the word Vega. it's cool. maybe a Star name
Oct 14, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2014
OP is pretty nice, didn't feel like skipping it

i'm glad i didn't get far in the manga, i prefer watching anime for these type of stories
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2017 12:22 AM

Jan 2013
Great start, liked it a bit more than the prequel episodes.
Oct 17, 2017 5:58 AM

Jan 2016
Really been looking forward to this anime, read some of it about 2,5 years and i got hooked and when i heard the anime was going soon i was soooo excited and meanwhile i was in japan the 3 first episodes where going crazy, and now when i was there once again it still where going like amok loving it this this is going to be exciting!!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Oct 17, 2017 9:07 AM

Aug 2013
This is actually a lot better as anime than manga. I was bored reading the manga, but this adaptation looks really promising.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 17, 2017 4:19 PM

Sep 2017
Interesting first episode. Really liked the art style and the little comedy moments gives the episode a nice feel.

The back story for Chise was really quite sad but with the introduction of Elias, mages and sorcery it lightened up a whole lot.

Absolutely loved Elias’s home! Very beautiful and I think it makes a great setting for the rest of the series. Looking forward to this one!
Oct 17, 2017 5:10 PM

Aug 2016
I said enough compliments to seasonal animes that don't deserve and maybe never deserved such words that I have dedicated in comments on forums previously, a clear example of this error, Koi to uso. But now I want to risk, I want do it again with this anime, I want to believe in my feelings... From the bottom of my heart I feel something, that feeling difficult to explain but that is so beautiful when it presents, a unique feeling and without comparison, that feeling that tells you that you found something that will make you happy.

10/5

Mahoutsukai no Yome.
Oct 20, 2017 2:14 AM

Jun 2013
and so it begins!!
Oct 22, 2017 10:36 AM

Oct 2017
It was OK

Upsides:

• The opening was good. Nothing spectacular, but good.
  • Some scenery are beautifully draw/animated.
  • The 'slave' market is a nice idea, though I hope they'll elaborate on it on futur episodes.
  • I enjoy the voice acting.

Downsides:

• Chise seems pretty... Bland.
  • The whole 'being my bride' thing really put me off for some reasons.
  • Couldn't Elias warn her that the ariels were manipulative? Wouldn't that have made a better 'lesson', if after a warning she still choose to trust them?
  • Chise's flashbacks are right out of a Naruto episode.

Seeing the ratings, I honestly expected better. This is a story line we saw more than once. However, I am aware that it's the first episode and they're still 23 episodes to change my opinion.
Oct 23, 2017 5:22 PM

Dec 2010
I really like the mature artwork and transcript so far.

Oct 24, 2017 2:54 AM

Mar 2012
hurrchan said:
random question but why was this thread made in july if the show didnt start airing until october?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35062/Mahoutsukai_no_Yome/moreinfo
Oct 28, 2017 10:01 AM

Jul 2014
This is good stuff! really dig how the story is going! will definitely keep watch, glad it has 24eps!
Oct 28, 2017 4:17 PM

Oct 2017
This anime looks pretty neat. I haven't seen something beautiful like this for a while and I'm really looking forward to read the managa as well!
Oct 29, 2017 4:22 AM

Aug 2008
After seeing the OVA I thought I might give it a try but I'm not sure if I'll stick to the end. Much older, wealthy, wise and strong mage taking some nobody girl as bride to be sounds like something straight out of run-of-the-mill shoujo series. Her being so young makes it even more jarring and "shoujo-escue".

It would be easier to let it slide if the girl was better. I'm not exactly sure why but I can't bring myself to like her in the slightest. Her looks are as bland and unappealing as possible without making her ugly, sob story from the OVA was really corny and it's hard to come up with anything to say about her other than "she is". Now that I think about it, she's kind of like player/reader insert MC where it can't have any actual characteristics so people can project themselves onto it.

Bottom line is, it's very aesthetically appealing series (without the girl) and I'm a little curious about the world and magic there but the girl (i. e. her character and story) makes me feel like it's some kind of anime version of "50 shades of whatever" or that vampire series for teenagers only less sick and disgusting and more creative in world building.

I guess I'll watch it for the world and graphics till the girl becomes unbearable.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.