Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 6, 2014 1:28 PM

Oct 2007
Disgracik said:
Why everyone already started to compare Buddy Complex with Valvrave??? I don't think this 2 animes would have something in common (exception - main place of actions is future)... They are already quite different, even judging from the beginning ^_^

Anyway, 1st episode was, let it say, interesting... Actually nothing special for me... But it's too early to jump into any conclusions. Hope this to be great mecha ^_^

At this point I'm no longer surprised at the lengths that people will go to bury any mecha series as early as possible. I've accepted it, pretty much anything with giant robots in it is DoA now in the English speaking community cause there's just too much baggage, prejudice and butthurt that people can't get beyond to just watch the damn show and gauge it on it's own merits and failings. Look almost anywhere and it's mostly just people whining about other mecha shows they didn't like instead of focusing on this particular show.

Plus with all that BS there's also the title which is obviously going to have people being all stupid over thinking it's a purely yaoi anime cause this community is essentially full of man children now who don't know how to just shut up and watch a show and see where it goes for a bit before offering up stupid typical comments. Everything always has to be instant gratification and bare bones simplicity to yeah this is a show that has a ton of things that people pissy over working against it.

The sad fact is all it probably needs to do is start working some straight shipping angles or engage in some form of yuri-baiting and I can almost guarantee the show will suddenly become popular and well liked. That's how simplistic this communities expectations and standards are.
PeacingOutJan 6, 2014 1:35 PM
Jan 6, 2014 2:34 PM
Jan 2014
MC is competent and manly which is really rare nowaday. That is a huge positive point, especially when comparing him with Haruto. And also he's the one NTRing another dude and not the contrary.
I didn't like the character design looking at the first pics released, but it looks kinda good once animated.
I think the time travel if handled well, can lead to interesting shenanigans and twists.
My heart is already bleeding for the NTRed psycho

I'm left with a pretty positive opinion after this one episode.
zuulJan 6, 2014 2:57 PM
Jan 6, 2014 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
MAL throws around the term NTR way too often in situations that it rarely applies to.
Jan 6, 2014 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
heiqi1hu said:
msnhao said:
So far this is what I'm thinking:
There are 2 timelines. The first timeline is where Watase Aoba does something that changes the course of history. The guy who accidentally went back in time is on the opposing side so he tries to kill Aoba. However, future Aoba predicted that this might happen so he sends Hina to go back in time and protect past Aoba.
When Aoba goes to the future, the timeline splits because he is no longer a part of history. Hina disappears because in the new timeline, Aoba never changed course of history so he never asked Hina to protect him. Therefore, there is a Hina somewhere in the new timeline who has never met Aoba.
Or at least that's what I think

Time traveling stuff, hmm, always will have loophole here and there. that's somehow quite good assumption.

You don't need multiple timelines if you have a stable time loop. However, it is also a paradox because there is no beginning and no ending to the loop.
Jan 6, 2014 3:53 PM
Jan 2014
I sort of like Hina (I like her VA and I've a thing for long black hair) but I'm slightly irritated by the fact she crushes on Aoba. Is it too much to ask for relevant female characters who doesn't want to bear the MC's children ?
Oh well ! At least Aoba isn't a completelly worthless imbecile who is loved because 'he's nice' like in many series with extremelly bland and mediocre MCs.
Jan 6, 2014 7:48 PM
Oct 2010
Decent episode, was dull for a bit then really picked up. The budget for this series is pretty low (extremely low compared to sunrise's standards) but it still looks good enough, OST was alrite, the VAs were pretty bad at some points imo and the battle was decent, I am interested in seeing more.

Also people shouldn't compare this to valvrave, I can only hope this show turns out to be half as entertaining as that was but they are doing their own thing. So far the terminator scenario is interesting, but like I said I need to see more.
Jan 6, 2014 8:20 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
phoenixalia said:
'Nice coupling'....yeah, good job Sunrise.

All aboard the AobaxDio ship!

aye maties

Jan 7, 2014 2:55 AM

Jan 2009
Thoughts:
4:38 yumihara's voice is something to die for

8:30 good to see the time setting is in the year 2014...for now

12:34 the bad dude had so many opportunities to kill aoba & couldn't do it. What a fail

-----------
Overall:
1. OP & ED songs were just ok

2. Feels like gundam with time travel

3. Voice acting, music, graphics are very good. Characters are ok and story has yet to be seen.

4. I think the reason I got really hooked on this anime is because the time traveling and especially the dialogue between the main characters and the bad guy. Made me very curious on what's going on & it put me in a nice deep trance. Ep1: 8/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 7, 2014 5:28 AM

May 2010
I can't say anything yet but I will keep watching just to know the explanation of what the hell is going on with this whole time travel
Jan 7, 2014 6:18 AM
Jan 2014
Initial impression : Story is picking up pace, this sort of feels like a Gundam story to me . Somehow a boy finds a giant robot with incredible powers. However the future story is kinda interesting. This show also reminds me of Steins;Gate somehow.I Like the op and ed though. 4 stars for solid ep 1 - make you want to see more of the next episode. so nice ep 1 :D
Jan 7, 2014 9:29 AM

Jun 2009
Will have to keep an eye on this one. It kinda looks promising :)
The spring I met you,

The spring without you.
Jan 7, 2014 9:40 AM

Apr 2009
I do hope the main duo will become friends during the show, otherwise I call bs with the name XD. I just need more bff anime similar to Tiger & Bunny.

'Nice coupling' reminds me of Pacific Rim for some reason, even though here the two pilots have their own machines and it's unclear what this connection is.
Jan 7, 2014 11:47 AM

Nov 2010
Plot Twist. Aoba was the one trying to kill his past self.
Jan 7, 2014 2:14 PM
Mar 2008
Holy shit, this was much worse than I thought. Cliches all over the place. Fucking dropped.
Jan 7, 2014 3:34 PM

May 2012
That was incredibly stupid, sure was nice to see MC plot armor in full effect when there was about a million ways he should have died.

Oh wait, Sunrise original anime, should've seen it coming.
Jan 7, 2014 3:36 PM

Jan 2013
The opening gave me seed flashbacks for some reason. It was hilarious to see Aoba yowamushi pedal the fuck out of the robot.

The time travel concept seems to be a recipe for disaster in terms of the plot and it's disturbingly convenient how he finds himself in his mecha, near his future comrades. Oh well, the characters are pretty likeable so far, I'd watch this until the end.
Jan 7, 2014 4:58 PM

Jan 2008
No... CG.... mechas...

PRAISE THE SUN
Jan 7, 2014 7:45 PM

Jul 2012
Time travelling huh? Interesting...

The main guy is better than expected and Hina <3

I kinda support the theory of alternative timelines. I really hope Hina reappears with no recollection of meeting Aoba and that she'll be in the enemy camp (Guess I'm a sucker for hero/heroine x villain romance xD )

Theories and wishes aside, I'm liking it so far :)
Jan 7, 2014 10:05 PM

Aug 2007
This is about as generic an anime as it gets. I am hoping the time travel element will make it worth watching, it's about the only vaguely original thing in the whole thing.
Jan 8, 2014 10:06 AM
Dec 2012
finally a good mecha anime ... been sometime since gundam 00! (all since were ****)
Jan 8, 2014 11:39 AM

Dec 2008
So much for Aoba's carefree daily life.
An interesting first episode.
I think I'm going to like it.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 9, 2014 4:18 AM

Jun 2011
Great 1st episode. Love the mech designs, especially those exhaust things on both the main characters mechs.

Though i wonder how Hina's gonna be introduced later on. Is it Hina before she traveled to the past? It cant be the future since she sorta died or they're gonna somehow bring her back.

Curious to see how the story will unfold
Jan 9, 2014 8:09 AM
Feb 2013
How retarded this pilot could be, since he couldn't hit (or even step on..) a running teenager using god damn 30-meter agile mecha?

Everything else sounds massively cliché. I'm not sure if I want to see another episode.
kcuf
Jan 9, 2014 1:24 PM
Nov 2013
ArcanaTrace said:

Though i wonder how Hina's gonna be introduced later on. Is it Hina before she traveled to the past? It cant be the future since she sorta died or they're gonna somehow bring her back.

Curious to see how the story will unfold

well if she sorta died, aoba sorta died too both were in same mecha who about to explode

FalKKonE said:
How retarded this pilot could be, since he couldn't hit (or even step on..) a running teenager using god damn 30-meter agile mecha?

well if you actually pay attention to what you watch you would know why beside it's difficult to aim/shoot person from a giant robot
Jan 9, 2014 2:36 PM

Mar 2009
Right now, I'm only watching for the time travel aspect.
Jan 9, 2014 4:25 PM
Jun 2013
Wow, what an exciting episode!
Time travelling - I'm curious why the pilot was surprised when he travelled back in time
Speaking of which, he suddenly wants Aoba's blood!
I wonder what bigger role Aoba and Yumihara --I mean Hina played in the future, it must be big - Like why would this pilot show such hate and disgust
Those were some fluid action scenes with fitting OST's too.
Dat OP and ED
Then suddenly into the future what is exactly going on, I don't know... can't wait for next week's episode
Jan 9, 2014 5:43 PM

Nov 2013
when the hell is episode 2 coming out!?!?!
Jan 9, 2014 8:40 PM

Oct 2011
Celestrial2 said:

THIS!!!
According to Anichart. Episode 2 will air on Monday. I believe they re-aired the 1st episode again. The one we watch was a pre-air. So that's why we don't see episode 2 until next week.
Jan 9, 2014 8:41 PM

Nov 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Celestrial2 said:

THIS!!!
According to Anichart. Episode 2 will air on Monday. I believe they re-aired the 1st episode again. The one we watch was a pre-air. So that's why we don't see episode 2 until next week.

damn lol, I've been excited. This easily trumped all other premiering shows I've watched this year so far including space dandy :O
Jan 9, 2014 9:02 PM
Nov 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Celestrial2 said:

THIS!!!

next week? doesn't ep 2 air on 12th that only about 2 days in sunday, i remember they aired ep 1 again last sunday, the pre-air was from 29th December, so the day after tomorrow we will get new episode, ep 2

from Anichart said :" Ep 2 - 2d 9h 41m"
Takeoff31Jan 9, 2014 9:12 PM
Jan 9, 2014 10:14 PM

Sep 2011
This could be cool but this episode suffered from some downright terrible dialogue, my god why was every single line out of everyone forced exposition, the animation music and fights were nice and the premise as i said before could be cool, but right now its off to a bumpy start, i just hope the dialogue will improve or else this will be doomed

3/5

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 10, 2014 4:15 AM

Nov 2009
Interesting start to the series!!!

Sunrise has packed another series for us and I think this has high potential. It will be interesting to see how the future unfolds for Aoba as its clearly different from his timeline. A lot of characters appeared in the first episode so it builds a lot of mystery. Hina is most likely going to be the center of attention of this show. Looking forward to see how this show progresses!!

5/5

Jan 10, 2014 9:53 AM

Sep 2010
hmmmm, except for the last 30 secs or so, is easily the most forgettable start for a sunrise show i remember.

and that op is so bad is hilarious.

come on sunrise, step up your game.
Jan 10, 2014 6:40 PM

Sep 2011
The first ep felt pretty meh to me. It was okay but nothing that really stood out. Pretty typical mecha anime, hopefully it'll improve later.

Also, was it just me, or were the character designs almost exactly like Kakumeiki Valvrave? I know they were both produced by Sunrise, but no excuse. They main characters look exactly alike =.= (Haruto=Aoba, L-elf=Dio, and Shoko=Saki)

Shall keep watching though in hopes of improvement. Plus can't resist mecha action :3.
BlackAngel5Jan 10, 2014 9:18 PM
Jan 11, 2014 12:05 AM
Nov 2013
Catastrophic said:
hmmmm, except for the last 30 secs or so, is easily the most forgettable start for a sunrise show i remember.

and that op is so bad is hilarious.

come on sunrise, step up your game.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thought that it was... an extremely disappointing opening... I cringe everytime I hear the beginning of the op to be honest. It sounds like it's trying to hard to imitate a classic gundam opening but still trying to be it's own thing... and failing miserably. Also... not too fond of hina's seiyuu. I've heard her in other roles and she's fine, but for some reason she sounded a little mechanic.

Don't know if anyone else hears it but she kind of pronounces each and every hiragana with extreme precision(like a staccato) . Now that I think about it maybe it fits her character since she's probably in the military and stuff.
Jan 11, 2014 7:47 AM
Sep 2011
I really like it so far, much better than I expected.

zannet_t said:

Some observations/speculations:
1) Bizon, the silver-haired guy that appears alongside Yumihara in the ED, is probably the man who came after Aoba.
2) Judging from how the uniforms are different between the two duos, it's likely that Dio x Aoba and Hina x Bizon are opposing pairs fighting on different sides, with Bizon being Hina's partner.

I also think this is Bizon :D the first thing I did after watching the first episode was going through all characters and look for yellow-eyed one, haha.
And it may be that they are on different sides, however I hope for other scenario- they are on the same side, but Aoba in the future does something wrong, which makes them loose or which makes someone die. Or at least Bizon thinks it's Aoba's fault.
Jan 11, 2014 4:10 PM

Feb 2013
Not a bad start. I'm glad this is going to take place in the future instead of the present (better tech in the future). The whole time-travel bit should tie things together nicely when the anime ends.
Jan 11, 2014 4:54 PM

Oct 2012
Really good first episode , makes me wanna see more .
But being a mecha anime by Sunrise , I guess we'll see lot of drama in this .
And I can't help but worry about the ending though , I hope it'll be less messed up than Valvrave ...
Jan 11, 2014 11:08 PM

Jan 2012
Oh God! When i saw the opening i was like "Its the same shit from Gundam Seed!". First episode was ugh, no feel to it. This reminds me of Gundam AGE, more aimed for kids in their early teens or younger. Nothing special. >.>

....and the mechs are ugly

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongJan 12, 2014 10:49 AM
Jan 12, 2014 2:26 AM
Nov 2013
Valencia said:
....and the mechs are ugly
double post.
But I agree, the mechs aren't very impressive but... gotta give them props for not using cg.
Jan 12, 2014 7:13 AM

Mar 2013
Well... That was more entertaining than I thought it would be. I like all the characters so far. Aoba is very level headed, reasonably intelligent, not stupid around girls, selfless enough, and has some great friends. I can see why Hina might like him. Apart from the random Yen hacking, Hina is (or was... ) while not outstanding, a decent character with motives that make sense enough as far as I can see them. I think that she doesn't die either unless I read Aoba's character wrong, since it would seem he deliberately sent her on this mission (He would have to know that telling her would lead to this, since she even tells him why she came) and he wouldn't do that if he knew she would die. Unless his character changes later, or the past can be altered. It would seem there's already a singularity paradox going on here however, even disregarding that the wormhole is apparently called a singularity. There could also be other factors, but they can be cleared up easily.

Also of note is how Hina didn't consider the lives of others more important than Aoba's, including her own. Her first thought when the bad guy latched on with his self-destruct was to eject, leaving all the citizens to die. (It would have to be a pretty big blast to destroy the armor that blocked those point blank range shots that she fired into the other guy's cockpit, so there would almost certainly be casualties.) She didn't even consider flying out over the ocean. And it wasn't fear for her own life either, since she threw herself knowingly into the singularity. Interesting girl.

Of course, I'm assuming that there's a basic adherence to logic in this anime, which is pretty unlikely, being an anime. Still, there's nothing immersion breaking so far.
Jan 12, 2014 12:37 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty interesting start, I like the time travel/alternate dimension? angel.

I actually think the mech designs are pretty BA. Kind of like 00 + Code Geass. And I'm just glad the mech aren't cg!

Aoba seems like he will be a good mc. It's refreshing he doesn't seem to be super angsty or emo, but actually has some balls.

I see this becoming great! The character designs are a little generic, but overall a great first impression.

I'll say it again. I've watched all of FUNi's simulcasts now, and I'm very impressed with their lineup this season!

4/5

Urahara Out!!
Jan 13, 2014 9:46 AM

Oct 2009
Hmmm...wasn't too impressed. Though I really love the look the anime has, something about the lighting.
It did feel a bit rushed. Hina is cute, the mech designs were a bit meh though.
Jan 14, 2014 2:17 AM

Jun 2011
This is great! Holy crap it hypes me up so much, especially the awesome first half, that was prefect. I love the characters, especially the villain of this episode, I like his voice and attitude.

I do have a few minor problem with the episode, but nothing major, like Hina's voice actress, not saying she did a bad job but at some instances I feel like it should be softer or deeper. I also wonder how did the giant robot being kept in that warehouse in the first place, how did it.. get itself into there. Another problem is, how come there is no death, or there wasn't any of that I could see yet, especially during the chase, the dude crazes for the MC, and yet it seems like nobody died..

Oh, and I didn't like the OP, bad song imo, not sure if it fits the show, but yeah.. The ED was fine for me, nothing that great but it's fine.

Edit: And for some reason I lol'ed at the "Nice Coupling" XD

Edit 2: Looking at the score, I can already tell that this will yet be another underrated anime that I'll come to like, if it gets better and remain entertaining later on, instead of going downhill like Galileo Donna and Coppelion from the previous season.
ToG25thBaamJan 14, 2014 2:22 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 14, 2014 7:45 AM

Dec 2011
Is the video itself problematic with blotches and stuff or is it just Daisuki's video? (it was like this both on their site and youtube)

http://oi43.tinypic.com/262031w.jpg

Because that seriously damaged my ability to enjoy it.

Mecha vs bicycle. Bicycle wins. Of course.

Why would you put a 5 minute timer on a self destruct button?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 15, 2014 2:41 AM

Dec 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
Is the video itself problematic with blotches and stuff or is it just Daisuki's video? (it was like this both on their site and youtube)

http://oi43.tinypic.com/262031w.jpg

Because that seriously damaged my ability to enjoy it.

Mecha vs bicycle. Bicycle wins. Of course.

Why would you put a 5 minute timer on a self destruct button?

Funimation has licensed the anime.
The 5 min timer for self-destruct might have been for the pilot to get off.
Jan 16, 2014 7:41 AM
Dec 2011
NICE COUPLING

YAOI ANYONE ?
Jan 18, 2014 12:45 AM

Dec 2011
ThangLong said:

Funimation has licensed the anime.

Daisuki are the only ones who have it in the UK
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 18, 2014 4:29 AM

Oct 2013
"Nice coupling" that was weird XD .
Jan 19, 2014 4:59 PM

Sep 2011
This must be my first Mecha anime... Because I'm pleasantly surprised...
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

2 by Damolisher »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2014

91 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.