Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 6, 2013 11:14 PM

Nov 2009
Good first episode, glad I watched the movie, makes alot more sense. But anyways good series, look forward to seeing the character and plot development. With 100+ episodes I'm expecting quite a bit.
Sep 27, 2013 6:54 PM

Feb 2008
Conquest and Overture might spoil you a bit due to their budget (+ Overture came out a bit later). Lap was kinda a random character her, so his death meant nothing to the viewer. However, the Overture movie expanded his character a bit, since we got ~45min new material set before the start of the first episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 23, 2013 8:16 PM

Feb 2013
Space ships, lasers, missiles, and explosions. Count me in! I hope to see some nice battle strategies in future episodes.
Feb 2, 2014 1:35 PM

Sep 2008
Looks like it is pretty big war going on there! Apparently one side has 20 000 ships and second side has about triple that, so at least stage is set to be grand. Since everyone is recommending watching those two movies at the start, I should do so soon.
Feb 23, 2014 10:10 AM

Jul 2013
How slow are these ships in this show anyway and i'm confused about whether they have radars or are those display's just tactic tables?

Reason why i'm asking is that i'm bit confused about how the imperial forces manage to get the farthest fleet by a surprise and how the other two allied fleet's supposedly couldn't reach the one being attacked in time.

I don't really get how they main and second rear (the one that wouldn't have been attacked if the imperials had attack either right or left fleet) expected to come to rear fleet's aid if it was so hard to the rear fleet's to come the main fleet's aid.

KuruwinFeb 23, 2014 10:29 AM
Feb 23, 2014 10:31 AM

Jun 2009
Kuruwin said:
How slow are these ships in this show anyway and i'm confused about whether they have radars or are those display's just tactic tables?

Reason why i'm asking is that i'm bit confused about how the imperial forces manage to get the farthest fleet by a surprise and how the other two allied fleet's supposedly couldn't reach the one being attacked in time.

Do yourself a favor and watch Overture to a New War, which is a more in depth account of the first two episodes. Maybe, that will give you a better understanding of the battle. Also, watch my Conquest is the Sea of Stars which is a prequel and should be watched before the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 24, 2014 5:18 AM

Jul 2013
Thanks. The movie did a LOT better job setting up the battle and explained more about the limitation's of these feels. I hope that the series turns out to be more like the movie later on.
Feb 24, 2014 5:22 AM

Sep 2013
Kuruwin said:
Thanks. The movie did a LOT better job setting up the battle and explained more about the limitation's of these feels. I hope that the series turns out to be more like the movie later on.

Trust me, it does and more.
Apr 9, 2014 6:08 AM

Mar 2013
2 Important links for anyone confused about the Military Rank Hierarchy- Just avoid looking at the example's of people in that position since it can have spoilers from later in the show. You can just look at the content list at the top for a list of positions from low to high if you don't want explanations of the positions which aren't really relevant imo.

Free Planets Alliance
http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Free_Planets_Alliance

Galactic Empire
http://gineipaedia.com/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Galactic_Empire
May 29, 2014 4:29 PM

Sep 2012
I actually liked this episode. It could be that I saw the two movies beforehand and thus already knew what was going on, but minus the fact they never really introduced Lap I don't see why people say it's a bad start to the show. If I liked the bad parts though, then maybe that means the rest of the show will just be plain awesome.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Jun 3, 2014 2:07 AM

Jan 2014
Nice first episode. :) So absurd that a clever man like Lap had to die
such a meaningless death only because of an unmindful commander...

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 4, 2014 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
The animation is better than I expected. However, I was disappointed in the dialogue of this episode and it seems to be setting things up in a very basic sci-fi environment. Also, there were some quick oddities that I wouldn't expect from the talk I hear about this show. For example, do you really expect me to just nod to the fact that there are two generals of a space fleet that will go in head-first before strategizing whatsoever? One of their motives simply being that they have a friend, and they must carry out the duty of upholding his ego?

Also, a very minor thing, I think the sci-fi talk in this episode is far too basic with stating directions with "left" and "right", and stating sizes of fleets with "double the size" (which is said periodically be several people).

So far the only complex thing is memorizing these characters names, but it is only episode one so I'll see if things get tuned up as it goes. One thing I must debunk though is the talk that this show doesn't hold you hand, because it seems to do just that in this episode (besides the names, which is basically nothing).
Jul 4, 2014 4:35 AM

Jun 2009
As always, I suggest watching the movies My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War before seeing the TV series. Overture is also a more in depth, and most importantly better, take on the first two episodes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2014 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
insan3Spectre said:
As always, I suggest watching the movies My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War before seeing the TV series. Overture is also a more in depth, and most importantly better, take on the first two episodes.

Wait, why is it better to watch it in that order? If it's just to understand what's going on, then I'm fine on that mark.
Jul 4, 2014 4:58 AM

Jun 2009
Well, Conquest was actually released before the OVA series and Overture expands on the two protagonists Yang and Reinhard. Particularly Yang's relationship with Ladd and his fiance Jessica is given greater context, which is pretty important as the series goes on. Also, Reinhard's strategies may make a bit more sense to you if you watch Overture. I can't think of any good reason to not watch the two films, tbh. And, I'm pretty confident most fans would make this same recommendation.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2014 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
insan3Spectre said:
Well, Conquest was actually released before the OVA series and Overture expands on the two protagonists Yang and Reinhard. Particularly Yang's relationship with Ladd and his fiance Jessica is given greater context, which is pretty important as the series goes on. Also, Reinhard's strategies may make a bit more sense to you if you watch Overture. I can't think of any good reason to not watch the two films, tbh. And, I'm pretty confident most fans would make this same recommendation.

So, would you say the "release order" on this thread is what I should do?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=487887
Jul 4, 2014 5:05 AM

Jun 2009
Nah, I would recommend:

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Overture to a New War
LoGH main OVA series

Like what Koreye says in the 3rd page.

edit: Overture was released later down the line but, again, I cannot stress enough how much it adds to the series. Also, it's a fairly safe bet that, if you don't like the movies in any way, then the series isn't' for you. So, it's a good test to see if the main series is something you would be interesting in.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2014 5:13 AM
Jul 2018
insan3Spectre said:
Nah, I would recommend:

Overture to a New War
LoGH main OVA series

edit: Overture was released later down the line but, again, I cannot stress enough how much it adds to the series. Also, it's a fairly safe bet that, if you don't like the movies in any way, then the series isn't' for you. So, it's a good test to see if the main series is something you would be interesting in.

Alrighty, then I guess episode 2 will have to wait lol. Thanks for the pointer.

I also hear that this show is similar to Monster in some way, and since I loved Monster I'd guess there's something here I'll like aswell.
Jul 4, 2014 5:31 AM

Jun 2009
Speaking of which, if you are considering skipping episode 2, I wouldn't recommend it. I feel like there was a scene at the end of that episode that wasn't part of Overture. I may be wrong, though. Still, it's cool to see how much that movie adds I guess.

I can kind of see the Monster comparisons. They are pretty different as well, but it's a pretty decent bet you'll like both.

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2014 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
insan3Spectre said:
Speaking of which, if you are considering skipping episode 2, I wouldn't recommend it. I feel like there was a scene at the end of that episode that wasn't part of Overture. I may be wrong, though. Still, it's cool to see how much that movie adds I guess.

I can kind of see the Monster comparisons. They are pretty different as well, but it's a pretty decent bet you'll like both.

Oh, I'm not skipping anything. I'm just going to halt the tv series, watch the movies, then continue from episode 2 if I like what I see.
Jul 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Dec 2012
insan3Spectre said:
Nah, I would recommend:

Overture to a New War
LoGH main OVA series

I've been wanting to watch this series for awhile but never found the motivation. I suppose I'll start it now that I came across this very page on this thread. Thanks for the info.
Jul 10, 2014 10:00 PM

Jun 2009
No problem, I didn't get to see the series the first time I watched it in that order. After re-watching it I was like "damn, really wish I could have seen it like that the first time..."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 12, 2014 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
insan3Spectre said:
No problem, I didn't get to see the series the first time I watched it in that order. After re-watching it I was like "damn, really wish I could have seen it like that the first time..."

Yeah, the first two movies were far better to start with than the first episode. The first episode felt like a reminder of the movie more than a proper beginning, personally.
Jul 13, 2014 7:28 AM

Aug 2013
Guess I'll hold off on episode 2 and watch My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War.

Reinhard's voice is so sexy :3
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 25, 2014 2:25 PM

Jan 2013
Woah tons of information in this first episode. I am in Yang's side for now. Let's see how things develop
Sep 28, 2014 7:08 PM

Dec 2012
OmegaRed said:
I was also confused by the characters. I decide to just go with it and see what happened. I have a feel for who is who, and if their names are important i am sure I will pick them up eventually.
Sep 28, 2014 8:07 PM

Nov 2013
argh too many names

yang vs reinhard huh. can't tell who i like more
Oct 21, 2014 12:53 PM

Mar 2012
Watched Overture before this episode so it was basically a recap for me. Definitely prefer the changes in Overture but it was still a good first episode and it would be unfair to compare it to the movie that was made to expand on it xD
Oct 21, 2014 2:31 PM

Oct 2012
Remember to watch My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War BEFORE starting the OVA for a better introduction to the show.
Nov 26, 2014 9:04 AM

Jan 2013
So this is the show elitists have been raving on about......seems pretty good so far. The blonde guy seems pretty badass. I can see the potential in this show.
Nov 28, 2014 4:13 AM

Jan 2014
Dat opening though. So 80s.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 12, 2014 4:08 PM

Feb 2012
Do Free Planets ships & fleets tend to have Greek based names?

Is Phezzan multicultural or based on an existing culture ?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 12, 2014 4:24 PM

Mar 2008
Primus2x said:

Yep, FPA ship names tended to be taken from Greek/Roman mythology, but there are a handful from others (Irish, Hindu, etc.)
The Empire (obviously) is centred on Nordic and German lore.

I don't remember Phezzan showing any particular culture, but it seems it alludes to Fezzan of ancient Libya.
Dec 12, 2014 5:07 PM

Feb 2012
Ckan said:
Primus2x said:

Yep, FPA ship names tended to be taken from Greek/Roman mythology, but there are a handful from others (Irish, Hindu, etc.)
The Empire (obviously) is centred on Nordic and German lore.

I don't remember Phezzan showing any particular culture, but it seems it alludes to Fezzan of ancient Libya.
I was wondering since Rubinsky is a vaguely Polish sounding name.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 26, 2015 8:21 AM

May 2012
Coming from the movies and the prequel series I must say this first episode was just GREAT! Really love the pacing and overall atmosphere like it was in the prequels so I'm really looking forward to see what this story will offer us!
Feb 2, 2015 6:25 PM

Aug 2014
I'm liking Reindhart so far. He reminds me of Griffith which is always a good thing.
The ost is very nice as well and I like the strategy so far.
I feel like I've come across an amazing classic right here by the feel of the show. That and the fact that everyone and their mother says its godly.
Mar 1, 2015 3:27 PM
Jul 2011
An okay first episode. Pretty much exactly how I expected it to be, too. Hopefully, this series gets as good as people say it is.
Apr 15, 2015 1:55 PM

Feb 2014
Yang and Reinhard are already intriguing me from the first episode. Definitely enough to get me hooked.

Apr 23, 2015 1:46 PM

Jan 2013
Oh it is a repeat of the movie or vice versa. Still pretty good, gets right into the action.
May 22, 2015 7:15 AM
Nov 2014
Dat space battle tho... xD. Decent first episode, nothing major happened because I have already seen this from the prequel movie :P
Jun 13, 2015 6:07 AM

Dec 2013
Ok first episode. The old animation is a bit jarring but I'll probably get used to it soon enough.

Damn so many names!

Battle was pretty meh.
Jul 15, 2015 6:16 AM
Jul 2015
This show has incredibly dumb battles, and I can't believe they used them as the selling point of the series (look at the movies and the first 2 episodes). Combine this with some of the worst episodes appearing in its first season, and you get one of the best animated series ever made hidden under lots of trash.

So don't give up, watch at least 13 episodes, and remember that the second season is the highlight of the series.
Unorus_JancoJul 15, 2015 6:20 AM
Jul 16, 2015 2:14 PM

May 2014
Didn't this just happen to an overture to war ?
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Jul 16, 2015 2:22 PM

Mar 2015
Akabawi said:

if you have watched "Overture to a new war" you can start with episode 3.
Jul 16, 2015 4:01 PM

May 2014
HeroKenzan said:
Akabawi said:

if you have watched "Overture to a new war" you can start with episode 3.

Too late
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 2, 2015 10:08 PM

Aug 2013
Being the huge sci-fi fan I am I was so looking forward to watching Legend of the galactic hero's and I must say this series has so much going for it, the setting, the classical music and the art style, and talk about being thrown into the deep end with this first episode.
Mar 10, 2016 7:32 AM

Jun 2013
Motoko-Kusanagi said:
I just watched this episode and what happend to women?, only one “densetsu” girl in the intro, is this yaoi-anime if it is I don’t want to watch it :/

This is not a yaoi anime in any way, although it is certainly true that there are a lot more male characters than female characters. War and politics are the main themes of this series, with romance only playing a peripheral role.
Mar 13, 2016 6:56 AM
Jan 2015
MagisterArcanum said:
Motoko-Kusanagi said:
I just watched this episode and what happend to women?, only one “densetsu” girl in the intro, is this yaoi-anime if it is I don’t want to watch it :/

This is not a yaoi anime in any way, although it is certainly true that there are a lot more male characters than female characters. War and politics are the main themes of this series, with romance only playing a peripheral role.

Yup not yaoi at all, not even the slightest :)
However, females characters can be counted on the fingers of one hand (or two) xD. But at least, they are not useless
Mar 17, 2016 3:31 PM

Feb 2013
Not Yaoi? pfft

There was that gay Kaiser that ran off with some boy what a pedo.

And Reinhard's true love is Emil, just look at how they interact with each other, if that's not yaoi bait then i don't know what is.
Apr 12, 2016 10:19 AM

Jan 2016
This was a shaky first episode. AT the middle of it, I was tempted to drop it right there but I powered through(thankfully, if I've dropped it.. I've missed the rich political intrigue here...and I only just watched the first 11 episodes..)
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 72 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

88 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 13, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 66 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

45 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 7, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

59 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 1, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

69 by Safrichh »»
May 29, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

605 by ryzxgum »»
May 29, 12:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.