Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 8, 2019 7:09 AM
Dec 2018
it's like SnK but it's has a original story good dude. must watch
Apr 8, 2019 7:11 AM

Feb 2015
Off to a disappoint ride. Cardboard characters and overused plot. No, actually any plot can always be used and recycled as long as done right.
I will see more episodes before dropping this.
I'm glad that I watched Kimetsu after this, because it convinced me how bad the first ep of Fairy Gone really is lol.
As for Kimetsu, the opening scene itself already sold me.
Apr 8, 2019 7:32 AM

Aug 2016
It's really a pokemon for adults. With blood, guns and swords, everything with epic (K)Now_Name music along it... I am in.

That pistol grip on rifle though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2019 7:38 AM

Aug 2013
Nice OP.

Meh episode. Not a good start.

Apr 8, 2019 7:42 AM

Mar 2016
The cg fairies are a nice addition. Liked it so far except for the beginning. It's hard to know where is where when you only have like half a map.
Apr 8, 2019 8:05 AM

Jan 2016
looks like Sirius, but worse. Tho I really like the art style. Also, was that Jesus at the end?
Apr 8, 2019 8:12 AM

Jan 2013
May be it will be good, but introduction to their world was awful like it was 2 episode of normal series and the first one was never made.
Apr 8, 2019 8:24 AM

Dec 2015
Honestly this doesn’t look like it’s gonna be half bad. the cgi isn’t annoying and the ost is pretty amazing. Honestly I think people set their expectations way to high for anime just sit back and enjoy
Apr 8, 2019 8:37 AM
Mar 2019
Swagernator said:

I love when anime spit all the unimportant informations about the world history we are supposed to care, with millions of names, locations and shit like that. The backstory was also very poorly done, like what ? Am i supposed to care about characters i saw like 2 min ?

Exactly what I was thinking. Seasonal shows need to cool it with the exposition dump right in the first five minutes of an episode. Viewers aren't as dumb as the studios might think we are (despite the fact that we eat up everything, whether its garbage or not). Shows need to adapt the formulas that have worked for newer shows like AoT; its possible to riddle backstory and world building throughout the first season without throwing random names and time periods at an audience that isn't even invested in your story yet

Swagernator said:
wtf, next show that has "fairy" in its title and you use the most ugliest CGI possible for them ?

I'm inclined to agree with this as well; I liked the designs of the fairies at first but as the fights went on and when we see Mariya's fairy I quickly changed my mind. CGI consistently proves to be a hindrance in quality for the industry (of course the modern anime industry doesn't care so much about quality)
FilipDespa said:
1idd0kun said:

I think this is gonna be the main show to follow this season for me

Bro go watch Kimetsu right now

Yeah, just based off the first episodes of the respective shows, Kimetsu no Yaiba pulled me right in, with hardly any exposition dumping. Though the visual presentation for both shows is dramatically different, we got a hint of what the art direction CAN look like towards the end of this first episode and I think it has some strong potential.

FMmatron said:
Uff, best opening of the season right here. At least as of now.

Absolutely! This OP is a straight banger!
Apr 8, 2019 8:39 AM

Feb 2016
lol, Usually the OP has better animation than the product itself, but witnessing the CG Fairies on the OP gave me eye cancer, I already knew the CG was going to be bad.

About the plot, well its too early for me to judge, but Marlya was kinda annoying. Hopefully with time this will get better.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 8, 2019 10:08 AM

Sep 2017
Generic action thriller. It's pretty awkward when the characters all act so solemn and grim but you just don't know enough about them to feel for them, so they all seems way too absorbed into their own seriousness.
Apr 8, 2019 10:18 AM
Jan 2019
We didn't know what happen next, since it's an original story. This anime score soon will get higher and higher, trust me, i already predicted this will be an good anime.
Apr 8, 2019 10:24 AM
Jun 2017
The first episode for me is not that bad, we have some intro to the characters of the story and idea of what this show is all about...

And by the way, this has some resemblance in Persona when they are summoning their fairies. Hahaha
Apr 8, 2019 10:44 AM

Dec 2016
What did I just watch?? Looks so cool!!! And the Opening's amazing :O

What is that cute animal?? Is that specie a chiwawa or a fennec fox? He's very adorable! <3

... What the hell!? I can't believe they are opening an audiction to sell a fake "historical" page about fairies! Talk about low and disappointing!! But at the same time I'm glad no-one payed that crap -w-

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Apr 8, 2019 11:49 AM
Mar 2017
The plot of this first episode is so basic and clicheic, i am REALLY wondering how they're gonna make it into a really good story from here.
The production really looks like it has alot of quality, i hope they won't butcher the story...too much...
Apr 8, 2019 11:55 AM
Jan 2019
orkuncan said:
X3MReaper said:
A very interesting Anime so far
loved hearing the same band who did the opening for the GATE anime doing this opening

The animation looks good , was very worried the monsters...or "fairies" would be horribly CGI'd but I was wrong ...thankfully.

Now to see if the story lives up to everything else.

lol no This is (K)now Name and Gate openings were straight Akeboshi Rockets and Kishida Kyoudan

wait rly? ....welp guess I guessed it wrong XD
Apr 8, 2019 11:57 AM
Feb 2009
hmm it was alright for episode one I guess hopefully it picks up the next few episodes
Apr 8, 2019 1:52 PM

Dec 2013
big ass "meh"

at least (K)NoW_NAME is involved
Apr 8, 2019 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
I'm gone with watching animes each week(don't know why but it decreasing my feeling by watching animes each week) so anyone can tell me from 1st episode if it's good or bad ? I will found out by myself after 12(maybe more ) weeks so that's why I'm asking :)
Apr 8, 2019 2:22 PM

Feb 2015
hiraishinx said:
I'm gone with watching animes each week(don't know why but it decreasing my feeling by watching animes each week) so anyone can tell me from 1st episode if it's good or bad ? I will found out by myself after 12(maybe more ) weeks so that's why I'm asking :)

For me, it's mediocre. They throw plenty of action, world introduction info dumping, and also gives the main girl the 'finding her childhood friend back who have become a nuisance' and based all her life goals on this. Add the lack of our understanding to their depth yet, so it's like watching a bunch of 2D characters you could barely fathom/connect with.

But, if you can look past the stuff I mentioned, it really has a nice art, interesting world and fairies and design, and enormous potential if they would focus more on the character development on next episode.
Apr 8, 2019 2:28 PM

May 2009
Something's wrong with multiple elements in this show. Animation was ok for most of it but there are some weird static shots that felt out of place. Plot is really generic. Sirius has good start, this wasn't close to it.
Swagernator said:
But hey, the fanatical shippers of female characters with other female characters are surely already deciding this as their AOTY already.

That already happened with Carole and Tuesday.
Apr 8, 2019 2:51 PM

Nov 2016
zanearaki said:
hiraishinx said:

For me, it's mediocre. They throw plenty of action, world introduction info dumping, and also gives the main girl the 'finding her childhood friend back who have become a nuisance' and based all her life goals on this. Add the lack of our understanding to their depth yet, so it's like watching a bunch of 2D characters you could barely fathom/connect with.

But, if you can look past the stuff I mentioned, it really has a nice art, interesting world and fairies and design, and enormous potential if they would focus more on the character development on next episode.
thanks alot for informations, I might see later what to do with it :D
Apr 8, 2019 2:58 PM

Jun 2013
i like the OP and OST, pretty solid so far.
Apr 8, 2019 3:22 PM
Aug 2016
It seemed okay, but I can't watch CGI. I really can't stand looking at it, it makes me feel uncomfortable and it doesn't even look good. I'll give it another episode but it's highly likely that it having CGI alone will make me not finish it.
Apr 8, 2019 3:45 PM

Apr 2015
Seems a lot like Sirius from last year, but I am definitely interested. A lot of CGI for the likes of PA Works, but its not actually too bad so far. Definitely want to know what will happen. Opening is LIT though!
Apr 8, 2019 4:59 PM

Dec 2012
Kyohe08 said:
Albi-kun said:
I stopped watching after seeing the CGI in the opening song.
that cgi bothers you..

I wasn't sure about watching it anyway, but that made me decide.
Apr 8, 2019 5:00 PM

Oct 2008
Another contender for a great 1st episode...(aside from Kimetsu which is one of the best first episode)
PA Works on their usual work but here the colors are a bit old styled as well.
Fairies looks like automatons puppets that can easily be summoned huh...
looks like dual sword wielders are common nowadays huh...
4/5.

Apr 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Dec 2010
Ew the girl is annoying.
Apr 8, 2019 6:15 PM

May 2016
I came in with no expectations and I was still disappointed :(

It was a hard episode to finish. I think I'll drop it for now and see if people say it gets better later on.
Apr 8, 2019 6:34 PM
Oct 2017
Ep. 1 “The Ash-Covered Girl”
SPOILER WARNING
This show so far is extremely my jam, for a first episode, you get a picture of the postwar world without being drowned in exposition, and immediately are introduced to the lead Marlya, a mafiosa with a hunting rifle searching for the only other escapee of her hometown, a place fairies lived, burned to ashes in the war by a traitor. She’s working security at an auction house, in a beat up auction house run by her mafia, meets some folks, may or may not have freed some living creatures that were to be auctioned, when in bursts Ver/Veronica, a Fey-empowered thief with her eye on a rare manuscript, the very person Marlya has been looking for.

Veronica and the head of security, Free, get in a fight, with Veronica slicing her enemies arms to allow her fairy, a six foot plague-doctor-ish raven creature to fill their bloodstreams with black mist that tears them apart from the inside, while Free manifests a werewolf.

Marlya tries to talk to her old friend, but she doesn’t want to, saying the person she used to be is dead.

Things are chaotic, in panic and gunfire, a bottle with an ethereal small insect like fairy is shattered, and Marlya dives to protect the creature, and the freed fairy bonds with Marlya, who is remembering her escape from the massacre. The fairy changes.

Veronica is making her bloody escape with the manuscript, pursued by Marlya and Free, doesn’t have time for a reuinion, Free and Veronica fight, impressing each other.

The two are fighting, neither winning, when Marlya and the fairy she bonded with catch up. The fairy is now a masked lady, whose form is made of ash, trees, and cinders.

Marlya ends the fight between them, Veronica escapes, and Free’s true position is realized, he’s a “government minion” as she calls him, an undercover operative working for the conquering empire that won the war, in an agency to police the fairy soldiers who were fought on all sides of the war and whose very existence is now considered a crime. He now makes an offer to the mafiosa: ”be arrested, or become a so-called government minion”. She agrees, but on no uncertain terms, she’s joining because she wants to talk to Ver for real.

10/10
Apr 8, 2019 6:44 PM

Mar 2013
Well that was decent

I mean the story looks like its gonna be a hot mess

But it'll be a good looking hot mess and I'm okay with that.
Apr 8, 2019 7:31 PM

Aug 2013
Honestly don't know how to feel. I like the whole stand premise with the fairies but I didn't find myself that interested by the end of the episode. Still overall pretty okay and will continue to watch it in hopes that it gets better.
Apr 8, 2019 8:28 PM

Oct 2015
damn. that was one bad episode. even the ost timings were pretty fucking bad despite how good they were
Apr 8, 2019 8:33 PM

Dec 2015

So those "fairies" are CGI Jojo's Stands...
EVERYTHING seemed pretty common (very standard animation included, where have people seen "beautiful animation"?), and the musics (particularly the song) sounded of place.

2.5+/5

@Swagernator Nobody's supposed to care about characters or peoples he has "known" for 1 to 20mn. It's a full-length series, it's supposed to deliver us a supply of characters-focused episodes between the 2nd or 3rd episode and the mid-series turnabout.
(writing this, but I don't even believe in "caring for characters")
Apr 8, 2019 9:50 PM

May 2014
Visually trash, generic character designs, giant CGI abilities are an eyesore and their designs are disgusting. I had no idea what was happening this entire episode, who are these characters? why are we at an auction? why did we just break out into a weak ass fight all of a sudden? The animation was weak and the soundtrack was nothing to talk about.

d,d,d,d,d,d,ddroppppped
Apr 8, 2019 10:15 PM

Oct 2014
Martin_Taylor said:
It's really a pokemon for adults.

Whatever this show is supposed to be, the fact that fairies are kept in balls in order to be seen is still way too little to be considered an adult rated pokemon series. I think the earlier comparisons to jojo/persona make more sense. Maybe Titan. Or shoumetsu toshi or magmel in that I didn't really see much going on but still curious enough to watch a second episode.
Apr 9, 2019 12:18 AM

Aug 2017
Tokoya said:
I expected something more thrilling but this is only the first episode of a 2 cour series, so hopefully I'll be more excited about this somewhere down the line

Still, I think the concept of this is pretty awesome, and the characters aren't half bad either. That and the art, animation, music and fight scenes are pretty good too, so if they keep these factors up to par, that's another plus in my books

Hatsuyuki said:

has a nano feel to it
I thought it was Nano as well when I first heard it lol

2 cour series????
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 9, 2019 1:50 AM

Nov 2010
Something about this feels off to me. I think it is the direction and the mixed action animation, but I'm not really sure. The concept seems fine, the music is good and the designs are pretty decent as well, but something feels wrong.
The storyboard or direction is weird and the pacing is all over the place.

Can someone else make out what feels so off?
zwolf12Apr 9, 2019 1:57 AM
Apr 9, 2019 3:37 AM

Sep 2013
I don't really know where to start with this Persona x Pokémon x JoJo x Attack on Titan uh, mess.

One thing for sure, though, is that I certainly feel a little deceived by the PVs. Mariya always appeared to me as already being in the military within those, not joining some division at the end of the first episode. Then again, they're trailers. They put all the best bits in there. That's not such a big issue.

The animation seemed quite clunky in places. I don't have a fault with CGI necessarily, but I did notice some clips where there was rough movements and even no movement at all when there should have been some. Quite sloppy of P.A., really.

The soundtrack is amazing, though. If anything, that's the one thing I'm interested in the most concerning this show. Even though the concept of the show intrigues me, I don't know if it's that that will keep me going for two cours (I didn't even realize this was a two-cour show if I'm completely honest) or if I'll even stay around for both cours.

Hopefully, with more fleshed out characters than what we have currently and if they somehow tie together the background of the show, I'll be able to sit through this, but right now this show is certainly the weakest I've seen this season.

Apr 9, 2019 4:03 AM

May 2012
Great 1st episode. No idea why it is rated below 7

ALso, opening song is amazing
Apr 9, 2019 4:43 AM

Dec 2009
That felt like a clusterfuck but also like nothing really happened... I like the overall aesthetic, but that was just boring and cliche. Might give this another try later on, but doubt it.
Apr 9, 2019 5:29 AM

Jul 2014
I felt nothing, the story went by so damn fast it made no sense to me whatsoever.
The art designs and OST are good tho, the VA's are also one of the main reasons why I decided to try this out, but mainly its because this is being done by P.A.
Guess I'll give it a few more eps before I decide to drop it or not.
Kick ass OP and insert songs in the battle.
Apr 9, 2019 6:42 AM

Jun 2016
I am probably a minority but I loved this first episode. It was a while since I actually felt this type of excitment for a new anime and season. A nice concept with the disgarded "war tools" aka the Fairies, and how they now basically is illegal if not employed but the state. Even if a bit generic I do like "we are the last survivers" sub-plot, and I did like all the main characters intruduced in this episode. I even got treated with some nice action scenes. Yes, the CG fairies was a bit out of place but I think people are way to picky about things like that, if it is not Berserk bad just embrace it and enjoy the story dammit.

And can´t but hope for a bit of romantic sub-plot, it definitley has the potential for it.
Apr 9, 2019 6:45 AM

Sep 2016
Fairies. Gotta catch em all.
Apr 9, 2019 6:58 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I'm really surprised about the many negative opinions. I loved the whole atmosphere, and damn, that OST.
Not too fond of the CGI, but I can ignore that since I like everything else so far, although I have to say that I kept thinking about Persona.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Apr 9, 2019 7:41 AM

Sep 2017
I really liked the first episode, and surprisingly I'm not bothered by the use of CGI

I hope this show gonna be interesting
Apr 9, 2019 7:54 AM

Mar 2016
I'll get straight to the point here. Marlya is an ass. She didn't do what the Free guy tell, use her gun once to threatened Free, collapsed, wake up perfectly in the middle of chaos. She has no charm, neither did Veronica. 3 episodes more i hope my view of them can change.
Apr 9, 2019 9:59 AM

May 2018
OP was good. Quite interesting but i waited for more. Maybe it gets better in few episodes.
Apr 9, 2019 10:22 AM

May 2009
Very boring start to me...
I do like the concept and it seems like it can become something good. Will give it a few episodes.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 9, 2019 10:51 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Nurguburu said:
Tokoya said:
I expected something more thrilling but this is only the first episode of a 2 cour series, so hopefully I'll be more excited about this somewhere down the line

Still, I think the concept of this is pretty awesome, and the characters aren't half bad either. That and the art, animation, music and fight scenes are pretty good too, so if they keep these factors up to par, that's another plus in my books

I thought it was Nano as well when I first heard it lol

2 cour series????
It's having 24 or 25 episodes I believe
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2019

51 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Feb 18, 2022 9:11 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2019

72 by JaniSIr »»
Jan 23, 2022 7:58 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

65 by JaniSIr »»
Jan 23, 2022 7:18 AM

» Is this worth watching?

removed-user - Oct 7, 2021

6 by Pangolin44 »»
Nov 3, 2021 8:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2019

51 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.