Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2016 10:56 PM

Jan 2011
Mayuka said:
IZEROII said:
I'm not going to watch a tv show that showcases romance between two dudes for the simple reason of that don't float my boat.
No, that is homophobia. If you are intentionally avoiding a show that is not romance focused because it bothers you to see someone gay, then that's being phobic of the homosexuality.

The show is not forcing a pairing on you. It's just an idea on the side. The main focus is on the mysteries and band/music so dropping something like this because there's a gay character is being homophobic. If Haru was a girl who had a crush on Sensei, then it would not be a reason for you to drop it.

Here we go. Didn't say anything was being forced, went onto say I doubt it'll even be an issue, and didn't say this shows display warranted a drop. This is a secondary plot which is what it is. If anything it's a different dynamic. Good on the show I guess. I made a point that if a show IS focused on romance between two guys (which it obviously isn't) ie yaoi I wouldn't watch it because that's not my thing. It's not my thing to watch gay romance. If you interpret that as homophobia then idk. You're wrong plain and simple. Your point can be extended to saying that in order to not be homophobic you have to draw no lines on the topic of homosexuality. That's bs. Just because I don't want to watch guys romancing themselves doesn't = homophobia. There is a difference between "phobia" and just not wanting to watch guys loving on each other. I think most men are in that camp. I can sit there and watch it without a problem. That's not the issue. The issue is it does nothing for me ie no spark, no heat since I'm straight and therefore there is no emotional connection between character and me the viewer. But call it as you see it. Seriously no sleep lost here.
Jan 6, 2016 11:07 PM

May 2013
So far so mediocre... I'd say that it is even below average... But well the thing about 21 steps to making oscar movie is true... They just made the mc a gay and everyone is wet about this show.
LiterallyEverySpecialSnowflake said:

i wAtcHeD tHis xxxx shOW aNd iT WaS tRASh, i HaTEd iT, wHy eVeRYonE liKEs It?
It iS sO OveRRateD, i AM sO UniQUe aND SpecIAL becAUSE I hAve dIFFerent opINIon ThaN othERs, sO I muST teLL abOut it to THe wHole WorlD, leT thEM knoW i HateD iT. It WAS sO tRasHy, sO GivE mE CouNTER-ArgUMENTs eVen thOuGh i Do NOT giVe argUEmeNTs SuppORTIng My PoiNT.
Jan 6, 2016 11:09 PM

Jul 2012
IZEROII said:
Your argument is that "most men" don't want to see gay people. Therefore it is normal to do so.

Normal? Sure. Homophobic? That too.

If you're lacking an ability to see romance between anyone other than heterosexuals, that's just you not having enough empathy.

"That's not the issue. The issue is it does nothing for me ie no spark" Like I said before, it's not even a romance show so there's no issue with adding homosexuals/bisexual in it.

peroroncino said:
But well the thing about 21 steps to making oscar movie is true... They just made the mc a gay and everyone is wet about this show.
That's not even why it's good? lmao How shallow.
Jan 6, 2016 11:20 PM

May 2013
Mayuka said:
peroroncino said:
But well the thing about 21 steps to making oscar movie is true... They just made the mc a gay and everyone is wet about this show.
That's not even why it's good? lmao How shallow.

Majority of the comments are like "oh shit, i didnt see that love triangle coming, how interesting, thats not your common boyxgirl crap"

It iS sO OveRRateD, i AM sO UniQUe aND SpecIAL becAUSE I hAve dIFFerent opINIon ThaN othERs, sO I muST teLL abOut it to THe wHole WorlD, leT thEM knoW i HateD iT. It WAS sO tRasHy, sO GivE mE CouNTER-ArgUMENTs eVen thOuGh i Do NOT giVe argUEmeNTs SuppORTIng My PoiNT.
Jan 6, 2016 11:21 PM

Jun 2013
Not feeling this one at all. The characters just look weird especially their eyes, not that I have anything against chaika eyes its just the weird colors. That and they are kinda ugly Kusakabe sensei's voice sounds so freaking weird with his character. This was honestly kinda boring for a first episode. Looks like im not sticking around for any possible gay pedophilia ;D
Jan 6, 2016 11:22 PM

Jul 2012
peroroncino said:
Majority of the comments are like "oh shit, i didnt see that love triangle coming, how interesting, thats not your common boyxgirl crap"
actually i'm seeing more comments on the music, character designs and mystery than that...

but it's great that we're seeing LGBT (emphasis on the two letters because there's more than just a homosexual character) in normal anime settings without it being fetishized.

and obviously, there's a lot of comments on the plot twist. thats literally the last thing the viewer sees. go to any movie and in the discussion thread, most ppl will talk about the ending first.
Jan 6, 2016 11:27 PM

Apr 2008
so i'm watching Glasslip+Hibike Euphonium+Hyouka at the same time
Jan 6, 2016 11:34 PM

Apr 2014
That was pretty dull and the visuals are unimpressive compared to the studio's previous works. Meh.. I'm not interested in gay pedophillia anyway so another drop.

I honestly don't care if you call me homophobic or whatever.
Jan 6, 2016 11:44 PM

Apr 2009
ouch i never thought that this anime was too Gay Romeo-like so i'll ignore it and continue the show
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 6, 2016 11:55 PM

May 2014
abyss333 said:

Seemed really out of wack as they introduced like 4 different genres all at once.

Neko_Damashi said:
so i'm watching Glasslip+Hibike Euphonium+Hyouka at the same time

Hopefully, the second ep has a clearer focus.
Jan 7, 2016 12:09 AM

May 2013
Mayuka said:
peroroncino said:
actually i'm seeing more comments on the music, character designs and mystery than that...

but it's great that we're seeing LGBT (emphasis on the two letters because there's more than just a homosexual character) in normal anime settings without it being fetishized.

and obviously, there's a lot of comments on the plot twist. thats literally the last thing the viewer sees. go to any movie and in the discussion thread, most ppl will talk about the ending first.

So you are admitting that majority is attracted by the ending of this episode, right? And what was the ending about? Love triangle that is. But love triangle is pretty generic thing, so what is the most appealing thing here? This love triangle include gay in it.
So far my point is true.

Jan 7, 2016 12:17 AM

Jun 2013
I'm not really bothered by the unique love triangle that this anime has. (I mean seriously, its 2016 and I been told that was part of the original adaptation that was worthy enough to get adapted). To me, its just the production value from P.A. freaking works seems to be lackluster. They gave really beautifully detailed anime like Nagi no Asukara and Shirobako but this looks like something made from a different studio.

The teacher sounds way too young for a 26 year old male and Homura's VA (who is understandably new) does not seem to fit Homura's character. Most character designs are loosely based it off the manga version which is really different from the LN and for the first few seconds we saw a CG audience with "quality" background characters seen throughout the 1st episode . I also recently found out that the twin characters are completely original characters so I really doubt they will contribute much to the anime and if they do then its going to be extremely off from the material leading to original endings or pointless one off episodes. It really feels like 3 episodes wouldn't change my overall opinion and I was intrested in the love triangle concept that they had.

Whats really fun with CG background characters is that you can play a matching game with them and I'm super stocked to play this mini-game less then a minute in to this anime.

Akio-kunJan 7, 2016 12:31 AM
Jan 7, 2016 12:24 AM

Jul 2012
peroroncino said:
Mayuka said:

So you are admitting that majority is attracted by the ending of this episode, right? And what was the ending about? Love triangle that is. But love triangle is pretty generic thing, so what is the most appealing thing here? This love triangle include gay in it.
So far my point is true.
No, I'm saying, you should expect more people to talk about the ending/climax of an episode rather than the entire episode's elements.

For me, this series is interesting because of the music aspect and the fact that the main male isn't a oblivious wussy like most Anime. He feels like the side character that knows too much. The whole "gay" thing makes it more interesting I guess. It's more so because I'm glad to see LGBT being normalized.
Jan 7, 2016 12:35 AM

Feb 2015
Lol this thread XD
so basically, they combined pedo and gay.
Jan 7, 2016 12:44 AM

Aug 2014
Brainiac solving the cipher is sooo boring.

Highlights: The twins are cute, and Chika has a cat.

What an awful first ep.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jan 7, 2016 12:45 AM

Mar 2013
Honestly getting annoying seeing everyone saying this is paedo. Students have a crush on their teachers is a really normal thing that happens all the time. If the teacher takes advantage of it then there's issues but don't go blaming teenagers for admiring an important figure in their lives lmao.
Jan 7, 2016 12:52 AM
Apr 2015
peroroncino said:
Some people were initially attracted to this series because of the thought that Haru and Chika belonged in the 'childhood friends turned lover' trope so what I'm saying is stop making a big deal out of other people being attracted to the love triangle part or the fact that Haru's gay. People are allowed to be attracted to this series for whatever reason they damn please.

I personally don't give a shit about solving the music mysteries, but in this case I do. Or rather, I'm interested in the outcome of the mysteries, because I have a gut feeling that the solved mysteries will give insight on the characters' inner angst/inner thoughts, their backstories, their romantic feelings and I'm a sucker for those things. I think (hope?) that this will be a character oriented show, with some dark themes thrown in it.
Jan 7, 2016 12:59 AM

Mar 2009
The art sure is nice, but this sure is a dull one. Took me a while to finish the first episode, actually. However, I wasn't expecting this to be a mystery series. I just thought this was going to be a music anime, so that's interesting at least. Still needs some type of spice. The leads are kind of bland at the moment.
Jan 7, 2016 1:12 AM
Apr 2015
Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.

If you're gonna be a troll at least don't reveal in it your username bruh. Where is your subtleness and tact.
ArdanazJan 7, 2016 1:23 AM
Jan 7, 2016 1:16 AM

Jan 2013
Good start, I like the twist. And Chika's personality.
Jan 7, 2016 1:22 AM

Oct 2014
Lol that was very interesting love triangle..
Jan 7, 2016 1:26 AM

Jul 2015
Chika is cute! Also I don't particularly don't have a problem with haruta being homosexual, doesn't bother me that much as is too others
Jan 7, 2016 1:27 AM

Apr 2013
Nice animation, nice music, nice characters, so far an interesting anime.

I'm a bit shocked that some users say that they dropped this show only because the MC is gay. Stop watching it because you don't like the story or animation or whatever, but seeing a gay MC won't make you sick or something you know. And if you want to stop watching the anime because of this, than just drop it and don't open new discussions to tell everybody.
And I have to agree on Senseis voice, I don't think it's a good choice.

Anyway, I'm curious what will happen next. Looking forward to next week. :)
Sayo3Jan 7, 2016 1:44 AM
Jan 7, 2016 1:37 AM

Oct 2014
Z4k said:
That was pretty dull and the visuals are unimpressive compared to the studio's previous works. Meh.. I'm not interested in gay pedophillia anyway so another drop.

Pedophile??? What..I can't see anything that is pedophile in this episode..so its pedo if a student love the teacher even if the teacher doesn't acknowledge it..yes its gay but pedophile no..
Jan 7, 2016 1:42 AM
Mar 2008
That was embarrassingly bad, holy shit. We have another Glasslip here.
Jan 7, 2016 1:52 AM

Mar 2014
some scenes the art quality is falling down. I want tobeat the shit out of the art director who manages the art of this ep.
Jan 7, 2016 1:57 AM
Apr 2015
Seems like this is not for me. I like the first episode but the concept of

Student-Teacher relationship and Gay is not really for me i think.

Some people may judge me but i think this really threw me off from the good start of the anime.

Sadly, i like Chika's character (especially her Eyes!) but this kind of setting is not for me. I follow the 5-episode rule but this maybe an exemption. :(
Jan 7, 2016 1:57 AM

Aug 2015
The first episode stated out like like ..... ! I'm a PA fan and will watch almost anything made by them. But this is yet the most disappointing first episode of all. The ED showed some promise though. Hope this thing gets better from next episodes .

And the art looked lower quality than most other PA series. I didn't quite fine the "PA Quality" here. Must be low budget.
You disappointed me PA. Get your shit together.
Z-DanteJan 7, 2016 2:05 AM
Jan 7, 2016 1:59 AM

Aug 2013
Sokah said:
Sherlupin said:
People see yuri and nobody bats an eye.

People see yaoi and everybody loses their minds.

So much hypocrisy

It's not the same thing. It's not hypocrisy, you simply lack understanding.

It's not the same thing because...???
Jan 7, 2016 2:10 AM

Aug 2014
Well.. What the actual f**k? This had a great animation and damn did I have an eyegasm for like 5 minutes. But, they throw in that Haru is gay?? Forgive me, but I dislike watching any yaoi related in Manga or Anime. I will continue watching this hoping that it was something completely different.
Jan 7, 2016 2:32 AM

Feb 2015
I'm sorry but I don't buy the "I'm not homophobic but gay romance is not my cup of tea". Here's the thing: homosexual people have had to watch heterosexual romance in every single anime, TV show, movie, book, comic, whatever they've ever watched/read. Did they get sick? Did it make it impossible for them to enjoy the romance? NO.

I went for a long time in my life without watching anything with homosexual relationships. One day I tried watching 'Queer as Folk' just because it was SO different and, even though it was strange at first (because it was something I wasn't used to), I ended up loving the series, the characters and their relationships. I'm not gay, nor a man, but I enjoyed the story because it was love nonetheless. Now I can watch any series with straight/gay/bisexual/pansexual/asexual/whatever people in it because I was able to break free from the heteronormativity of the media.

So you might think you're not being homophobic if you're dropping Haruchika JUST because Haruta is gay, but I'm sorry, you're a tiny bit homophobic. Even if you don't realize it or it's not your intention, if you like romance but you don't like GAY romance, that's homophobic and it's a shame because you're missing out on a lot of beautiful love stories. Love is the same, no matter the gender. Until you don't get that in your heads, you won't stop being homophobic.
Noragami reading/watching order: http://blessedyuki.tumblr.com/noragami-guide

"2016 will be the year of Sanji" - Eiichiro Oda
Jan 7, 2016 2:32 AM
Nov 2011
I realize about 50% of this forum's users are angry 13y olds that call each other gay every day in school and think its disgusting but I would apprecite it if they either keep their bigoted opinions to themselves or mods delete homophobic comments. Also why do people feel the need to add tags like "shounen-ai" or "yaoi". It's not. It's a music anime where the main character is a girl, there just happens to be a guy who likes another guy boo-*******-hoo, it's the 21st century people. If you're not happy with it just accept the fact other people's happiness bothers you and crawl back into the cave you came from. Stay classy MAL.
Jan 7, 2016 2:33 AM

Oct 2014
This one is totally different from pa work childhood friend love story..but you got to give them some credit for trying something different..
Jan 7, 2016 2:47 AM

Jun 2014
straggy said:
Ah, loving all the homophobia so far in this thread. A++, stay classy MAL.

Honestly though I go into these series blind and this is a pleasant surprise. Something like this is rarely done these days, so it's nice to have this kind of variation now and then. If you can't stand it. just don't watch.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 7, 2016 2:49 AM

Apr 2013
Mhm, pretty meh start so far, integrating mystery into music. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored for the majority of the episode, and the main girl is not very likable so far. Art style is decent but not the best either. The song by fhana is amazing though~
Jan 7, 2016 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
Em, wait. Hibikek? __________________________________
Jan 7, 2016 3:05 AM
Apr 2015
Z4k said:

So unempathetic to call a teenage boy who has a crush on his male teacher 'a pedo situation'.

Weird how your favorite character from HxH is Hisoka (my favorite as well might I add), a man reaching his thirties that got a stiffy outta two 14-year-old boys watching his naked form. THAT is disturbing and rather pedophilic. And don't get me started on his infamous orgasm scene with Gon.

Yet you're somehow uncomfortable with a confident guy having a crush on his teacher in a real life setting. Expected better from you.
Jan 7, 2016 3:17 AM

Apr 2014
lizebutnotrize said:
Z4k said:

So unempathetic to call a teenage boy who has a crush on his male teacher 'a pedo situation'.

Weird how your favorite character from HxH is Hisoka (my favorite as well might I add), a man reaching his thirties that got a stiffy outta two 14-year-old boys watching his naked form. THAT is disturbing and rather pedophilic. And don't get me started on his infamous orgasm scene with Gon.

Yet you're somehow uncomfortable with a confident guy having a crush on his teacher in a real life setting. Expected better from you.

No need to put words in my mouth because I just said I'm not interested.
Jan 7, 2016 3:22 AM

Jul 2015
Came for the drama about a gay character, found the thread was 99% people complaining about the teacher being a pedo, the art being shite, the characters being unlikable or it just generally being quite boring.

The homophobia thing is generally just the same 3 people posting a dozen times or SJWs crying because someone dared say "I'm gonna drop this, yaoi isn't my thing" in a polite way.

Gotta remember folks. 99% of the people here came for this being a romance anime where the standard trope is the two main characters getting together. Hell, there wasn't even the kinda knee jerk reaction I was expecting after hearing the news.

I shall post again when I watch the show to say my opinion...
Jan 7, 2016 3:29 AM

Sep 2010
peroroncino said:

Because the main relationship in the show is between Chika and Haru but it's platonic: a friendship and a rivalry. Some of us are tired to watch forced romance between a girl and a boy in every show (especially when it's generally blandly written and any lacking any sort of realistic chemistry, the reason why over a half of these 'anime' couples hook up seem to be 'oh, he's the main male character and she's the female one'). There are stories with friendships/rivalry between boys among themselves, and girls among themselves, now there's this that's rare. I dislike most romance shows (romance as focus). This show (if it follows the novel) is gonna be refreshingly against that. The "love triangle" isn't a focus, it's a plot device to establish this kind of relationship between them.

It's a mystery show, and has nice music.
ThessJan 7, 2016 3:36 AM
Jan 7, 2016 3:52 AM
Apr 2015
I gotta say this right now but the "teacher-and-student-relationship" plus a huge homo misunderstanding is a good impression for alot of people around the community. Let's hope it isn't what he met to say to Chika. Well, I hate to say this but I rather want to see a transit with a decent appearance than a boy of a masculine characteristic.

Don't get the wrong idea being gay is okay, however, sometimes I just can't stand watching it especially incomprehensible for me to understand as the same gender.
Jan 7, 2016 3:58 AM

Aug 2015
Tokoya said:
Xenocrisi said:

I think it will go that way.
But why not? You don't often find a gay character and could be interesting.
Because I want HaruChika to happen TwT

me too ! I hoped it will be romance between them ! T_T
Jan 7, 2016 3:59 AM

Nov 2014
A little boring at the start, and the whole blood/paint/cipher mystery thing was ridiculous.

I love the design of their eyes. They're really colorful and catching.

A love triangle with a gay/bi character who isn't there for comic relief or fanservice?! That was a nice surprise. Now I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

4/5
Jan 7, 2016 4:20 AM
Apr 2015
Z4k said:
lizebutnotrize said:

You said you're not interested in gay pedophilia, but this show doesn't have any gay pedophilia, lmao... The teacher thus far hasn't shown ANY sexual or romantic interest in Haru (nor Chika), so calling it gay pedophilia is bullshit and quite frankly insulting to the teacher's character. And from what I've heard the teacher doesn't develop any feelings for Haru, it's all a one sided teenage crush on Haru's part. :')

Also don't try to sugarcoat what you said, it's really annoying and unclassy.
Jan 7, 2016 4:26 AM

Jul 2013
I'll continue watching because of the twins (Sae and Kae I believe it was)

Wasn't expecting this kind of love triangle lol. For that reason (plus the twins) i shall continue watching.
Jan 7, 2016 4:29 AM

Nov 2014
lizebutnotrize said:
Z4k said:

You said you're not interested in gay pedophilia, but this show doesn't have any gay pedophilia, lmao...

Yeah. And if something does spark between the teacher and Haruta, that would make the teacher an ephebophile, not a pedophile. I'm not saying either are okay, but one is arguably less terrible than the other, haha.
Jan 7, 2016 4:53 AM
Apr 2015
Animation aside dialogues were not impressive. There was zero indication of Haru and Chika's affection towards sensei until the last minute exposition. I will watch two more episodes to see if they can combine the mystery, music and romance aspect coherently.

I liked the gay angle with Haruta though. It is rare to see an actual gay character outside of shounen ai fetishism or comic relief angle. Let's see how they play it out.
Jan 7, 2016 5:04 AM

Jul 2015
Not that much to begin with, does not excel in its main genres 'Mystery' 'Musical' 'Romance' 'Slice of Life' and at the same time, there's a Gay Rival (O_O) [well I do prefer childhood developing into romance] well let's see how this goes ...
Jan 7, 2016 5:05 AM

May 2010
Yay, both of them are in love with the teacher. Now, hurry up, hate it and move on, plebs. This is good.

The case was interesting but I have little music knowledge, so I can't say I entirely understood how it all came together. Still nice.
Jan 7, 2016 5:12 AM

Sep 2013
Endure the gay part
I Watch this for the mystery
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2016

86 by luminality »»
Oct 1, 2021 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.