Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 3, 2014 2:39 PM

Mar 2009
This show is so dramatic. lol

But hey, at least they stopped with all the abuse and bullying.
Dec 3, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2008
Omg this anime!
Dec 4, 2014 7:35 AM

May 2010
Emi is the gendbend ver. of me when it comes to motivation. Have a hard time with that. Loved her performance the most, it was breathtaking. I want her to win.
Dec 4, 2014 1:35 PM

Aug 2013
Ya' know, in my town, when there's winter wind, it's cold as fuck and it have no damn leaves :/
More seriously, it was really well done. It was a really heartwarming episode, like some old friends having a reunion.

It look like Kosei is a girl magnet and he doesn't even knows it! Fuck you, Kosei! You ungrateful bastard!

You don't know how glad I am that I never participated to a competition. I was offered once, but I never have been on the level of those genius and never will. Because I ain't no genius and I knew it. And there is nothing to be ashamed about that, I just loved to play for the pleasure of seeing your relatives be proud of you :')

I prefered Aiza melody. I am always more fond to partition with a fast tempo, I always found them easier to play and more entertaining.

Get ready for Kosei fucking up in the next episode! No but seriously, I don't know... I don't think he's ready for that challenge. He can't even hear his freaking performance!
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 5, 2014 6:10 AM

Jan 2014
I knew she'd be better than that blonde guy. I guess Arima's gonna screw up next
time. And it's probably gonna be emotional and stuff. I'm so looking forward to it x)
Dec 5, 2014 1:01 PM

Nov 2013
The OST is extremely enjoyable, some scenes were pretty drawn out though :( I wish the rivalry was less revolving around Arima and more of a 3 way thing where they all respect each other and stuff and admire each others skills. Just seems like his two rivals are practically living for his comeback as characters.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 8, 2014 12:01 PM

Oct 2009
Beautiful.
Dec 8, 2014 6:54 PM

Oct 2013
What a moving episode.

But right now there's nothing I want more than for Kousei to SMASH THOSE LOSERS. Perhaps Emi in a different way.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 11, 2014 8:56 AM
Nov 2014
Shoot I just want to know what the song playing right before Emi started her performance was T_T I want to know the osts not the piano songs played.
Dec 11, 2014 9:22 AM

Dec 2011
That second performance was... impressive.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 11, 2014 8:26 PM

Nov 2011
It was a fun episode.

I get the feeling Kousei will fail, but I'm hoping he does well.
Dec 11, 2014 8:40 PM
Aug 2013
Those performances were beautiful. I'm so impressed. Emi is such a good pianist and I liked her better than Takeshi.
Dec 12, 2014 5:58 PM

Apr 2009
Emi's performance trumps Aiza's but both of them were fueled by their pride, revenge and persistence to make Arima notice them. I guess they've succeeded since they've taken turns telling Kousei about the other's motivation while performing.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 26, 2014 6:43 AM

Oct 2014
They're both awesome! But I didn't expect Emi to be this...good. Her emotions really have power.

As I said, Kousei better be learning something from these two. I can't wait for his response.
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Jan 2, 2015 3:49 PM

Apr 2013
Emi's a beauty, her performance was great as well.
Jan 3, 2015 12:13 PM

Oct 2012
Beautiful performace, excellent visuals, great characterization! Marvellous episode!

Now I only wonder if they could make Arima's performance even better... to surpass those two.

Is that even possible?
Jan 6, 2015 5:06 PM

Jul 2014
Emi was... awesome.
Jan 7, 2015 4:14 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Wonderful performance. Aiza and Emi both want to defeat Kosei, yet they admire him as well. The crowd reaction was much louder than when Aiza played.

It'll be interesting how Kosei does in his performance and how far he will place.

Jan 29, 2015 8:18 AM

Dec 2014
This episode pretty much showed that Kaori doesnt really have feelings for Watari. She only used him to get close to kousei. Too bad the story is going towards a bad ending :( .
There’s no hope on the battlefield.
It has nothing but unspeakable despair.
Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated.
Yet humanity has never recognized this truth.
And the reason for that is, in every era,
a dazzling hero has blinded people with their legends and prevented them from seeing the evil of bloodshed.
The true nature of humanity has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age!
Feb 13, 2015 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
Takeshi's performance was really good, but all the backstory, dialog, and animation before, during, and after Emi's performance was just stunning.

I'm excited and nervous to see how Kousei does with his performance in this next episode.
Feb 15, 2015 11:16 AM

Aug 2010
Love this episode! Nice to see character development on these two! And those performances were stunning! And the way they put their passion and feelings and all into their music~!
Mar 1, 2015 10:40 PM

Aug 2012
AAAh Emi and Takeshi performances was so beautiful !
I'm already in love with Emi ! her character kinda similar to mine xD

I hope kousei doesn't miss up in his performance *^*)
Mar 5, 2015 5:56 AM

Jun 2011
I love these 2 new characters, Takeshi and Emi, especially Emi who was given more focus. Now I can't wait for Arima's turn. Hype!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 19, 2015 4:23 PM

Mar 2012
Watari is such a pos. At least control yourself with when Kaori is nearby you inconsiderate douchbag.

Now lets see if Arima can get a grip and do well this time.
Mar 27, 2015 8:11 PM

Jul 2014
All this classical music is boring me to death
Mar 29, 2015 7:09 AM

Aug 2013
It's so tiring to watch these performances phew....
They were astounding..
Apr 3, 2015 7:52 AM
May 2012
Damn, Emi is beautiful, just like her performance~
Aiza's performance was great, too.
What will you do, Kousei??
Apr 18, 2015 1:59 PM

May 2012
Fantastic performance! Really epic, oh boy do I love this anime!
Apr 23, 2015 9:37 PM

Oct 2014
It was really cool seeing both of their backstories and performances - but yet another episode without Kousei's performance! Looks like the next episode will be it. I doubt he'll live up to those two brilliant performances, but we'll see!
May 20, 2015 7:53 AM

May 2015
WOW ! The animation and the music are just perfect ! *o*
Both are genius !
Love this episode ! 5/5
May 31, 2015 5:27 PM

May 2015
Those performances.... Too good. Bravo
The wolves are at my door... And I can see the writing on the wall.
Jun 3, 2015 11:58 AM

Oct 2014
Wow that was a beautiful episode, and the music is stunning.
" Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future. "
Cloud Atlas
Aug 16, 2015 12:47 AM
Aug 2015
the main highlight of this ep was the music. god damn, it felt like being moved by them playing at there very best.
Oct 21, 2015 4:41 PM
Feb 2015
Awesome episode with cute girl :p
Oct 31, 2015 11:07 AM

Dec 2013
I've always liked the piano. Hoping that Arima doesn't fail...
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 21, 2015 9:50 PM
Nov 2015
Amazing performances! Wish I could play the piano :'(

Well, can't wait for Kousei to perform!! :D

Nice episode.
Dec 11, 2015 9:17 PM

Jul 2014
The episode seemed somehow slow. e.e
Dec 28, 2015 11:30 PM

Jun 2009
the melodrama is off the charts.

at least the chopin were good.
Jan 9, 2016 11:28 AM

Jun 2015
loved it Magnificent performance by Emi
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 11, 2016 7:57 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A Takeshi´s solid representation...

--
Una representación sólida de Takeshi...
May 18, 2016 6:31 AM

Aug 2015
Nah, all of them play so wonderfull! I don't eaxctly understand Emi feelings, but her performance was fantastic! I am curious hoe Arima will play.

And I don't get why she was crying xD
Jun 7, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
Such an amazing episode, loved it.
Emi's preformance was really good, I actually felt the music. Anger and Loneliness.

Great! I give this episode 5 out of 5.
Jun 28, 2016 11:39 PM

Dec 2013
I'm really liking these rivals right now. The musical performances in this series are amazing :)
Jul 24, 2016 7:54 AM

Jan 2013
"Little Boy" ... lmao

Loving the performances
Jul 26, 2016 5:04 AM
Dec 2015
I guess the performances were good, but they don't stir up any kind of emotion inside of me, which I feel is what this anime is aiming to do. I'm just not really getting drawn into this anime, but I'll wait until the last episode before I give my final verdict.
Jul 26, 2016 8:18 AM

Jan 2013
Quorthon1983 said:
I guess the performances were good, but they don't stir up any kind of emotion inside of me, which I feel is what this anime is aiming to do. I'm just not really getting drawn into this anime, but I'll wait until the last episode before I give my final verdict.

I know exactly how you feel.
Started watching this anime because of the "supposed" emotion it would bring me (said by a friend) ... I mean the show is good but not bringing the amount of feelings Clannad or Steins;Gate did for me for example.
Aug 26, 2016 4:16 PM

Jun 2016
Both Takeshi and Emi performed well, they want Arima's attention by their performance and they have succeeded in that.
Lets see if Arima could payback and deliver what they exoect him to..
Aug 28, 2016 10:52 PM

Jan 2010
First, my criticisms.

I'm heavily wary of shows that have an unbelievably cheerful, whimsical, magical way of presenting itself, especially when its set up is clearly to create a fun atmosphere as a prelude to heavy drama. I dislike the manipulative feeling of having fun, charismatic characters used as set pieces for inevitable drama later on. This is made evident by how the show immediately and clumsily sets up a vague romance polygon to run alongside whatever happens to be wrong with Kaori. I've been exposed to some level of spoilers beforehand, bu since I don't know the full details, I'm only speculating at this point, but I'm still quite cautious.

I also dislike the treatment of Kousei and Kaori with regards to their playing styles respectively. Kousei was given a lot of crap for playing robotically and in accordance to the apparent original intent of each piece, while Kaori gets crap for trying to implement her own personality and flare into her individual renditions. One is criticized for being emotionless and the other is criticized for having too much emotion. I know these criticism aren't by the same people, and I know they're supposed to balance each other out as per narrative reasons,- but it just feels like the show is trying to have its drama cake and eat it too.

Additionally, this show explains a lot. The strength of music-centric shows is their, well, music. What should have been powerful and profound performance were, instead, drowned out by inner monologues and cuts to other characters' reactions. Perhaps it's more of a selfish reason, as I would like to hear and see the performance with all thoughts and emotions instead narrated through music. If music, as the show exalts, can speak words and feelings through an emotionally-charged performance, then it would be a great crime to not have the anime itself allow its characters to just play their hearts out. Anime is a visual medium, and shows like this have the ability to display anime's ability to tell a story through just sights and sounds.

And I suppose my last concern is the vague romance triangle itself. I have guesses of where it's going, but the setup has Tsubaki, who has vague feelings for Kousei, introducing him to Kaori, who Tsubaki acknowledges as being cute and knows is a musician as well. First, how did Tsubaki and Kaori know each other? Did Tsubaki not think Kousei wouldn't be attracted to Kaori's fiery personality and passion for music? Second, was Tsubaki using Kaori as a means to bring Kousei out of his shell? Otherwise, why was she pushing so hard to have them two perform together? Did Tsubaki really think Kousei wouldn't become more distant as he became more engrossed in the musical world again, and by association Kaori as well? To be fair, Tsubaki does somewhat acknowledge that she had no right to complain, but the setup seems quite clumsy with regards to how I think this anime will end.

Now, for what I like so far.

Your Lie in April is a beautiful anime. In terms of how it looks, how it's animated, and how it sounds, this show excels in ways I haven't seen in a while. I still have my nitpicks and concerns, but as a whole, I am greatly enjoying this anime. The use of visual metaphor and theatrics helps to tell the story visually, portraying the characters' emotions through really stark imagery. One of the moments that stuck out the most was Arima acting as Kaori's accompaniment. Visually, the scene's colors were slowly sucked out. The sounds produced were lifeless thuds. Excited desperation combined with Arima's sinking feeling portrayed on screen worked extremely well.

The anime also knows extremely well how to treat its characters with respect. When Kaori is about to pass out after a piece with Kousei, she first leaves the stage first with the blinding image of her performance burned into her audience's eyes. She doesn't destroy the illusion created before the crowd, steps behind the blinds, then collapses out of the audience's eyes. Then, at a meta level, the episode immediately ends without the chance for any character to really react. This defines her character as wild and hotheaded, yet serious and professional on stage. A lesser show would have had Kaori collapse on stage before the entire audience, creating a huge dramatic scene that screams "feel bad for her!!!" Or, even worse, another show would have had a character scream Kaori's name, further emphasizing how bad we, the viewers, should feel.

First, Kaori maintains her image before collapsing off stage. Second, it doesn't emphasize the event as the main point of the entire scene. The focus is the performance, not Kaori's health. Third, by not allowing the other characters to react with the episode ending immediately after, the show doesn't tell the viewers how to react. It lets us draw our own conclusions, whether if it's concern for her well being or, in my case, my concern for her image both in story and as an anime character. It's the aspect Kaori seems to value the most, so it's my attempt to respond in kind. That's the power of a single decision from a directorial standpoint, and I appreciate Your Lie in April for having a number of these scattered throughout the show.

With this episode in particular, I enjoyed seeing the effect Kousei's presence had for Emi and Takeshi. It's an interesting inverse where, normally, you'd have a main character looking up to a more skilled character or is rivals with another character, constantly trying to prove themselves to be better than the other. In this case, Kousei was already at the top, and it's everyone else that have to prove themselves. Of course, I have a prediction for how this competition will end, but while it's inevitable, my hope is that it'll still result in some great performances like the ones shown in this episode.

Seriously, this show looks and sounds amazing. My goodness. In part, I'm a sucker for slice of life dramas. I've also been watching anime primarily from the early 2000s for the past month or so, causing this anime to look ridiculously brilliant in comparison. I haven't kept up well with anime released in the past few years, so perhaps Your Lie in April is one of many shows that look just as good. I remember iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls, also by A-1 Pictures, looking just as good, so perhaps the audiovisuals of Your Lie in April wouldn't be that special for someone who has been keeping up with recent shows. As such, I'm additionally cautious as not to be blinded by how the show looks and sounds, and pay attention to how the show itself is progressing. Else, I'd end up judging this by purely by its audiovisuals and not by how its characters and story work out.

I must restate this though: I was spoiled for the ending in the past, but I've waited long enough for those memories to be too distant to really remember. Still, I know the general idea, and from the episodes so far, I feel like I can guess the show's general trajectory. In spite of the spoilers however, I'm still enjoying Your Lie in April.

I feel that a truly well made anime isn't defined by great moments. They can include great moments, and great shows can consist of great smaller moments accumulating to one giant climax, but the singular moments can't be the end-all to shows. As I see it, this is the true reason why spoilers are so powerful. If the big twist or event is revealed in a show, what's left? The journey to a known end? If a show is all about that big twist or event, would the entire show be rendered a waste of time upon the reveal of the spoiler?

A truly great show isn't great by virtue of a single detail. A great building shouldn't stand on a single column. It can, but that would be but a singular gimmick. What else is interesting? What else is endearing? What else about the show kicks ass or is laugh out loud hilarious? What else makes the show as gripping as a lobster claw soaked in super glue? Thus far, Your Lie in April has been great with each episode having great individual moments of either character interactions or character self-expression. I recall a vocal rejection of this show a while back, but I've yet to really see glaring issues with the show itself. Again, I have concerns with its romance polygon setup and its insistent need to verbally relay character emotions when the music and animation should speak for themselves. Those aside, I'll continue to watch and hope nothing horrifically bad happens in the meanwhile.
Oct 3, 2016 4:30 PM

Nov 2015

The "Sempai noticed me!" face Aiza made when Kousei told him that he did great jajaja xD

Really, another episode in which Watari acts like an ass. Wasn't he going out with Kaori? (even when she spends way too much time with Kousei) First, he didn't sit next to her, second, he proceeds to melt over Emi. I mean, I don't really care about him being for who knows how long with Kaori in that "relationship" destined to failure but, isn't it just natural not to do the things previously stated?

Oh look, Kousei has yet another secret admirer... typical MC is typical jajaja xD

@Shocked well, yours was a long but good to read comment. Maybe you are addressing some issues a little bit late but it's good to see people appreciating those details AND writing about it, something I find myself usually forgetting to do.
I may start to pause the episodes and write my thoughts since, when the episode ends, the most prominent thought is about how the episode ended.

HumbertoZeroOct 3, 2016 4:46 PM
Jan 27, 2017 5:24 PM

Dec 2009
We're going to keep showing a performance per episode Kousei will be about episode 20, hold on! No life is enough indeed!
Such junk...
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1178 by anniemanga »»
May 23, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

332 by Jalexo »»
May 21, 12:10 PM

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.