Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 24, 2015 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
Confusing start to the series , but very interesting episode , i like the dark atmosphere , also good OST , lets see were this goes .
Feb 2, 2016 9:00 AM

Aug 2013
I love this huge build up. You can't find diamonds like this often.
The art and animation are surprisingly good compared to cheap anime these days.
The heavy and dark atmosphere is thrilling making me eager for more.
The fact that its confusing is the point of psychological anime like this.
The badass entrance at the end was epic.
Re-l in sexy undies was a good bonus.
Apr 26, 2016 2:22 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Really nice episode, I am very curious what will happen from now on!

Sep 9, 2016 5:27 AM

Mar 2010
All i got to say is interesting. Intertwined stories which will probably connect later on in the serie.

And i find lil pretty interesting, look-wise as well
Sep 25, 2016 5:55 PM

Jan 2010
First episode and we got a dystopic cyberpunk-ish city, science doing science things, a blend of technology and religious symbolism, a 5 minute wait until the title screen with no opening themes or nothing, heavy themes of existentialism brought up through the robots attaining sentience being treated as an infection, that iconic gun pose, fast action and the sexualization of its female lead, and whatever that ending was.

I've held off on this anime for years, and for good reason. I don't think I'm ready to watch this yet, or at least I'm nowhere near the right mindset to tackle this title. I walked in expecting Serial Experiments Lain, but it's closer to Ghost in the Shell in many respects, of which I still haven't really delved too deeply into yet either. However, if I don't conquer this demon, I don't think I'll be able to properly face other similar titles. So I guess it's down the rabbit hole I go.
Sep 26, 2016 7:42 PM

Jul 2015
Why the fuck is everyone saying it's so confusing? This episode wasn't confusing imo

Really interesting start. Can't wait to watch more.
Nov 10, 2016 6:57 AM

Jun 2016
Seems like an interesting show.

Don't exactly know why but some scenes in this episode reminded me of Blade Runner movie.
Nov 16, 2016 10:40 PM

Oct 2012
I just feel like they threw everything at us at 1st episode
I don't understand a thing.. well most of them xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 30, 2016 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
Decided to watch this anime in the English dub which I haven't done for the longest time for an anime series.

First episode looked alright, ofcourse we're not going to get what's going on with just 25 minutes.
I am really looking forward to finding out though, so far it's already been set-up pretty well.
Kinda reminded me of GitS and Texhnolyze.

Re-L looking fine in her undies.
Dec 10, 2016 4:59 PM
Aug 2016
I loved the first episode, such a god start with such an amazing blow mind situations.
Even though they through at us with everything at one time, such good mysteries and etc. Really good in my point of view. I'm already on episode 9 but decided to share my ideas of episode 1
Dec 26, 2016 4:37 AM

Oct 2016
Does anyone know where I might stream this in the Oceanic region? So far Funimation is the only source I found, and they geo-block all non US & Canada IPs.
Jan 8, 2017 9:28 AM

Dec 2016
I quickly give it a try after I realized that they use my most favorite song as it's ED song.

Good start so far. And the ED song fit really well with the anime.
Mar 3, 2017 7:16 PM

Aug 2010
Does anyone know where they took the bird images that are included in the Opening? I've seen them already but I can't recall.

Relatively to the first episode, it's ingenuous for me to say I liked it because it's not explicit at first. There were quite some things I enjoyed but overall it was still confusing. I can't wait for the next episode though.
Mar 10, 2017 4:30 PM

Apr 2016
The premise is good. I think i've somewhat see the goal of the series after hearing the female lead' thought, but if they prove me wrong at the climax (in a good way) then i'll consider give is a bonus point. Pacing is nicely done, animation is not the best but not the worst, i think it's very good for 2006. The only part that bug me is perhaps the creepy character design. Sound seems ok, well-distributed through the stages in this episode.
Mar 20, 2017 7:03 PM

Jan 2016
Animation was great, i don't know what else to say... weird af
May 6, 2017 11:55 AM

Jun 2013
Wow, where to start! The atmosphere is just thick as hell; there are only muted colors, especially turquoise and brown, and there's this techno inspired soundtrack, too. I love the bloom effect when characters stand in front of a very bright background.

Re-l and Iggy have really cool designs! The two specimen are interesting, too. The smaller one looks like a raggedy doll, and the bigger one is like a gargoyle. I like those quiet moments where Re-l just sits back to relax and mull things over.

I'm glad I didn't read the synopsis before this. Kind of (but not really) post apocalyptic society where consumption is rewarded, there's kind of a caste system (but not really), and there are robots with masks running around. Re-l's file on Vincent showed they had his psyche fully profiled; this setting is looking pretty cyberpunk-ey. I heard the phrase "unnecessary factor" a lot, what could it mean? And it's pretty sad that the self aware robots are called an infection.

LeeTailorMay 6, 2017 12:07 PM
Jun 11, 2017 3:37 PM

Jun 2017
Is this trying to be a comedy? Because it seems like an exaggerated parody of the shows people seem so eager to compare it to. It just keeps trying so hard to be cool and edgy that I'm not sure I'll be able to take it seriously, especially with that "Maybe I'm the unnecessary one!" line.

People seem to have thought this episode was confusing, but I think it laid its cards out on the table, and honestly I am not impressed. "Muh immigrants," and "Muh class," I mean Jesus, why does that seem to be the most popular theme in shitty dystopias?

Gotta say though, it has pretty good character designs, and I felt something in the scene with cyberloli and big guy crying. Guess that's because they're both such moeblobs, but still. Oh, and speaking of big guy, I bet you the show's going to head down a "Maybe they were real human" route at some point. It's either gonna be big guy, the robot things, or both. The show seems too run of the mill, if indeed it's possible to be run of the mill among an area with only a few real examples to follow. It just seems to lack its own soul. But I'll keep on watching. I mean, this many people can't be wrong about what makes a good show, right?
Jul 26, 2017 12:08 AM

Mar 2012
first, rei-l looks just like any Lee on the first evanescence album cover.
second, the guy that called her ojou-sama kinda looks like hitler.
and third, radiohead, really?

but anyway, the art is pretty nice, but i don't know how i feel about the atmosphere yet. one thing that i almost never notice is the voice actors, but i actually really liked rei-l's voice for a change. very fitting, at least so far.
Aug 10, 2017 5:49 AM
Jan 2017
This episode was awesome.I really hope I end up liking this series and not call it pretentious like others.
Nov 10, 2017 3:11 PM

Dec 2015
What the hell, that ending was so confusing...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 18, 2017 6:11 PM

Feb 2016
Ergo Proxy round 2 here I come.
Jan 17, 2018 8:49 AM

Mar 2012
Interesting setting, not sure what to make of that ending though.

Seems like the big fella that barged into her bathroom might have been the one infecting the robots and not the other one that protected her for some reason.
Mar 7, 2018 4:22 PM

Feb 2013
First time rewatching this after 9 years!

This episode was so good! So much mystery. So intense. So interesting.
5/5
Apr 7, 2018 10:09 AM

Sep 2017
Quality dystopian stuff. Reminds me of the action and tension in Minority report and the bizarre mix of ancient style with modern world in Blade Runner and Fifth Element.

The robots look like aliens. (Or is it the other way around?) That immigrant discrimination too.

The fight scenes look cool.Have to see if the next episode matches up to this. I don't expect to understand this world anytime soon. Think I will have to watch Casshern Sins after this.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 13, 2018 8:19 PM

Jan 2018
So from what I've gathered in this episode:

1) Lil is an inspector with upper class background.
2) Some scientists are secretly experimenting with and observing a comatose "monster" which escaped and started killing a bunch of people....for some reason (perhaps they're what Raul was talking about when he mentioned Proxy)
3) There is some sort of virus that's infecting Autoreivs, causing them to attack humans iRobot style.
4) We were led to believe that Autoreivs are just machines, but in reality, they have flesh and blood (noted by that one Autoreiv that jumped off the staircase and sprained her ankle as well as that "child" getting an examination)
5) We get a glimpse of the culture:
--The area is an isolated utopia as a result from a global ecological crisis.
--Immigrants are being discriminated and aren't allowed to enter the Citizen Residential sector
--The city encourages wastes for some reason
--Autoreivs are there for a variety of purposes (Assistant for work and basic needs, child substitute for childless parents, sexual companionship, etc.)
6) Raul is a newly appointed Bureau chief tasked to investigate the Cogito Virus incident
7) Some Alucard wannabe actually broke into Lil's home, wrote "awakening" on her mirror, quite possibly attempted to rape her and started fighting with the monster
8) Lil is pretty hot

Highlight for me is Lil's one-handed shotgun:

This is quite an interesting first episode.
BofthreeMay 13, 2018 9:47 PM

May 21, 2018 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
I have no idea what happened in this first episode. I don't think that was a good choice to keep me interested, but I'll continue watching none the less. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it will get better. Still, it felt like to me all these plot points were just flung out of nowhere in a disjointed way rather than progressing in a sensical manner.
Jun 12, 2019 6:53 PM

Oct 2016
Duuuuude Paranoid Android as ending.
I really loved that.
Apr 4, 2020 7:42 PM

Dec 2013
They went all out with animation. Am i only one who's heard music similar to Death Note. Didn't expect criminal case vibe from this series.
Apr 5, 2020 1:53 PM

Mar 2016
paranoid android at the ending gave me goosebumps
Apr 24, 2020 8:16 PM

Mar 2020
This is why i hate putting shows on hold. Now i'm gonna have to rewatch this whole shit just to remember wtf is going on
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jul 16, 2020 10:38 AM

May 2016
Well at least we got some info unlike the other dark show that had similar vibes.
Nov 23, 2020 7:48 AM

Jun 2010
A bit too much exposition for my taste; Re-l explicitly stating that she's aware she's arrogant and wonders if it's herself who's the lesser person was especially too direct, but there were a few touches of subtlety like Rel chiding Vincent for relying too much on his robot and needs to improve his social skills only for her to need her own robot to remind her of his name. Well, that wasn't that subtle but at least it wasn't talking to the camera.

Better was the wealthy woman's frightened reaction when her child-shaped robot was reactivated and chided her to conform to official doctrine; it nicely implied that while robots seem to be servants they may actually serve the government rather than their apparent owners; that this scene also conveyed that people need permission from the government to have children (I even got the impression a baby would somehow be given to the woman rather than her becoming pregnant) and use robots as a substitute also said something significant about the setting.

Re-l forcing her robot to shut up and turning off the music playing in the car to apparently relish the silence (when we were shown propaganda messages preventing silence elsewhere) was also a good way of showing her frustration at the way of life in the city.

I hope now that a fair amount of information has been conveyed bluntly (but quickly) things will more tasteful like the better examples from this episode.

It struck me as strange that the last scene panned across a discarded bra only to show Re-l wearing a (tiny) camisole; did she take her bra off from underneath that but keep it on for a few more minutes while she prepared her shower? Well, without that camisole we couldn't have been teased with goth-girl nudity only to be denied by sci-fi action!

All the English text on screen and using an English-language band's song for the ending theme makes me wonder if this show was trying hard to be a success in the American market. 2006 seems like the right time for a Japanese studio to attempt something like that.
Dec 27, 2020 1:50 PM
Mar 2018
the episode was relatively easy to follow until the last scence
Jun 2, 2021 8:59 PM

Jul 2009
Finally decided to rewatch this!

It's been almost 10+ years now since I last watched it. Reason being is due to Re-L's look which may or may not been inspired by Evanescence singer Amy Lee.

Such a shame Manglobe shut down and filed for bankruptcy in 2015.

Had amazing titles like Samurai Champloo, Michiko & Hatchin, Deadman Wonderland, Samurai Flamenco, Gangsta

I'll definitely watch Michiko & Hatchin after this!!

Re-L is soooo iconic!! Even 10 years later, her character design is so memorable and unique!!!

Also watching this, made me wanna rewatch some more cyberpunk theme shows like Ghost in the Shell, Psycho-Pass (need to watch Sinners of the System and S3) etc.
Jun 18, 2021 1:52 AM

Aug 2019
really liking the atmosphere, and a plus is Re-I is hot as shit with that blue eye shadow
Sep 29, 2021 10:53 AM
Nov 2020
Wow this anime looks awesome. I'm totally going to enjoy this series.
Oct 11, 2021 3:52 PM

May 2018
The soundtrack reminds me of Deathnote- was it composed by the same guy?
Jul 6, 2022 2:49 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great 1st episode, I love the world-building and the noir ambiance along with how they're introducing the mysterious plot, I believe these monsters we saw are what they call "Proxy" even though we don't know who they are so far but it might be related to the Cogito virus
Aug 22, 2022 7:03 PM

Feb 2015
too much gray, awkward early digital art (coming from having watched the OG Gundam series), does the thing where stuff happens and they don't explain it (can be bad or good), robots becoming self-aware is enormously yawn-inducing. Gonna keep watching because of Radiohead tho.
Sep 8, 2022 9:32 AM

May 2018
Noooo we were so close to getting Re-l booba
Sep 24, 2022 1:32 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
lmaoooo she really made that robot autoreiv shut the f*ck up
can't see how this is "confusing". It's very similar to I, Robot (2004)'s plot or at least so far.
nostalgiaasSep 24, 2022 1:37 AM

Oct 6, 2022 11:13 PM
Jun 2016
what an amazing introduction...
Nov 7, 2022 9:37 PM
Sep 2021
Lots going on. Need to watch more to decide.
Nov 10, 2022 12:41 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just finished Texhnolyze and Serial Experiments Lain, and was half-expecting Ergo Proxy to be similar to those. And to my pleasant surprise, it isn't, and falls more along the lines of something like Psycho Pass. This first episode has succeeded in getting me invested in this world

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 3, 2023 12:19 AM
Nov 2022
Love the aesthetic and its very cool so far! very mysterious and there are things you should know before watching the show but im interesteddd.
Mar 19, 2023 4:59 PM

Apr 2016
I can smell the Dystopia from this anime haha
Mar 23, 2023 9:30 PM

Jul 2021
Aight going back to some classics and this is even more confusing than Serial Experiment but I do love some dystopian 
Mar 27, 2023 10:07 PM
Mar 2023
Loved the world and character. Also enjoyed the characters allot.
Mar 30, 2023 10:38 PM
Mar 2023
lot of action but kinda confusing
May 17, 2023 10:56 PM

Oct 2013
Very promising and mysterious start, though it felt confusing at first. The episode had good visuals and music, everything coated with awesome movie-like direction I am personally a fan of when it comes to anime. I hope it will keep me interested in the next episodes.
AdnashMay 17, 2023 11:08 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

pietel - Dec 13, 2007

194 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 8:36 PM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

235 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

BUD - May 5, 2008

129 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 4:55 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 12, 2008

84 by Spirelord »»
Sep 8, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 18, 2008

109 by Jeffboi2008 »»
Aug 31, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.