Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 8, 2020 4:56 AM

Dec 2016
That was OK.

This show isn't something I can Hype for but it isn't boring either.

The OP goes with this show really well and that rap ED is really good.
Oct 8, 2020 8:20 AM

Sep 2012
Meh.

Following the 3-episode rule just in case it improves.
Oct 8, 2020 8:49 AM

Aug 2019
pretty meh actually the 12year old girl killed it for me like why tf are you thinking bringing a little girl on a mission involving drugs and shes like "i want to see what kind of people hurt my mom" bro its not like your mom is dead and the voice acting is really annoying wish i wont see her again, overall this is just annoying and boring guess ill also follow the 3-episode rule
Oct 8, 2020 12:42 PM

Jul 2012
That wasn't a huge jump to the other building, that guy could've following them.

Can't believe how dumb the story is, and they have to explain every little detail like the viewers don't know how to put hints together.

Character design and personalities are so mediocre too. Idk why I was excited for this. The poster probably fooled me.
Oct 8, 2020 12:48 PM
Oct 2020
In case you gys wanna know what is the background music played in the 1st episode, the title is bradenburg concerto 5
Oct 8, 2020 1:00 PM

Jan 2013
bootleg durarara he we come.
Oct 8, 2020 1:43 PM

Mar 2016
I thought that it would be like those gung ho gangster type of anime, but no. It's really good for an anime that is detailed, but gangster type. Pretty nice op and that ed was just vibez! I don't know why it's rated below 7
Oct 8, 2020 7:46 PM

Mar 2018
Y'know what? This is objectively not that good, but I had such a fun time with this episode, I'm looking forward to more of it.
Oct 8, 2020 11:08 PM
May 2020
Can someone explain why the anime have romance genre?
Oct 8, 2020 11:13 PM
Sep 2016
The most frustrating episode of a show i have ever watched, is this funded by the japanese government to stop drug use lmao?
Oct 8, 2020 11:38 PM

Jun 2020
this was definitely not my thing... I thought the writing was horrible

I'm still not sure if this is a fkbu parody or a loli hentai.
Oct 9, 2020 12:04 AM

Sep 2020
Holy shit !! What's with that insane OP ? That's literally the definition of a banger of an OP ! I had to replay it quite few times to make it to the end of the episode
Oct 9, 2020 12:08 AM

Sep 2020
HibiChika said:
bootleg durarara he we come.
Sorry to break your bubble but IWGP is a novel series that came long ago back in 1998. If anything, Durarara is inspired by IWGP, the Live action adaptation is immensely popular in Japan
86societyOct 9, 2020 12:13 AM
Oct 9, 2020 2:54 AM

Aug 2017
It has a vibe of K series and Tonkatsu Ramen.... Looks promising indeed.
Row-anOct 9, 2020 3:58 AM

Oct 9, 2020 3:24 AM

Oct 2008
IWGP Ikebukuro huh...not enough tense events! let's see...but didn't expect that the studio is Doga Kobo!?!?
4/5.

Oct 9, 2020 6:11 AM

Sep 2020
JemuzuKarubin said:
Can someone explain why the anime have romance genre?
Maybe read the synopsis, the lower part. Sounds spoilery so don't kill me later after reading it. I already read it so don't know how much it would affect later
Oct 9, 2020 9:15 AM

Nov 2013
This episode had many things happening but somehow I was fall asleep. Not sure if I keep up with this.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 9, 2020 10:21 AM

Sep 2020
Been looking forward to see this ever since they announced it and then the anime got delayed and now people review bomb it lol. For those who don't know, it's as @86society said.

The anime is adapted after a novel and Doga Kobo's style already does it justice, which can be easily seen with the OP and ED. It's gonna turn well if they do a great job adapting the source material, and since it's only been the first episode, so far I say it's looking great. Have some faith, people.
Oct 9, 2020 10:51 AM

Sep 2018
Knew nothing about this series before the season started, but after doing a little research seems like the original work (the novel) is far superior than the anime. I usually don't like judging things too early but this first episode really rubbed me the wrong way in several ways. Will give it a chance to see if it improves at all, but so far very underwhelmed with it.

I hope it gets better but if it doesn't then I'm just going to drop it and eventually read the source material.

Edit: Apparently the live-action drama is pretty good? Haven't delved into LA dramas at all but if it's really worth watching I'm willing to. I really like the concept and if it's done well then I think I'll enjoy my time a lot.
PhantomTomOct 9, 2020 11:03 AM
Oct 9, 2020 1:13 PM

May 2018
Ehhh?? I was pretty hyped and I was not dissapointed. I am excited for what's coming next!

►"The deeper the darkness the more dazzling the light shines." ◄
►"As you live you lose reasons and hope. But as you keep on going, you pick up new reasons and hope."◄
►"If I don’t stand up here… If I don’t reach higher here… When am I ever going to do it?"◄
Oct 9, 2020 1:38 PM

Apr 2016
An interesting first episode, I hope for a good series.
Oct 9, 2020 4:09 PM

Jul 2013
nightshadekait said:
I thought the writing was horrible

I haven't logged in since January, but these are my exact thoughts when I tried to watch the first episode (and I just have to share them, yes I'm that irritated). Not sure though if this is just horrible writing or mind-numbing stupidity.

- they hunt down 1 drug addict with an army of people, okay
- they get him on stage (why is there a stage?) so that one narcissistic guy can beat him up in front of a cheering crowd, instead of just pinning him down with like 3 people until police officers arrive. These are the cool, good guys, right?
- "Smoking Kills" Shirt.... pfffffffft.. is that guy 50+ years old?
- strange gang leader guy kidnaps little girl and her face is dirty. Did he A) punch her too because he likes punching people, B) found her lying around with her face in some ash or is this C) just random, never explained dirt that doesn't make sense?
- obligatory "MC eats weird stuff" eating scene
- girl asks "What do you want from me?"
- after a way too long exposition speech, they reply with "Tell us what we can do to help." She immediately trusts and tells them everything. What? How and why does she just trust some criminal gang members?
- now they gotta eat and sit down again at a new, more fancy restaurant, fantastic. I love watching two "sitting at tables scenes" in a row. In a pilot episode.
- it's cleary evening or even nighttime, but nobody thinks it's weird that a little girl is sitting at a table with 2 grown up man that aren't related to her
- the 2 grown ups start to talk about drugs IN FRONT of the little girl
- one of them is a police officer and he is completely fine with that situation, okaaay

That's the moment I had enough questionable nonsense in my head. I had zero expectations and still dropped the anime after only 12 minutes. I thought King's Raid would be the most trashy anime this season, but the latter show is at least logical, generic trash and therefore watchable.
Oct 9, 2020 6:43 PM

Feb 2018
_GeekyWeeb said:
TenshiTobacco said:
Poor man's Durarara.
Below-average visuals, meh direction, dull characters and seiyuu = boredom. Drop.
It's all fine with dropping this show if you fine it meh but Durarara was actually inspired by this

Yeah, I know about 1998 novel and dorama adaptation.

I asked about this and most of the fans told me that this anime has a very little common with both of them (mostly only character names lul). Original was much more mature, deals with real criminal stuff, has better humor and relationships between characters, etc.
This show lacks any of that and looks only like a cheap Durarara copy.
Oct 10, 2020 2:15 AM
Dec 2019
honestly the episode was ok , it doesnt make any feeling on me
Oct 10, 2020 10:48 AM

Jul 2013
i'm surprised this has such a low score so far? do people expecting everything to have an over the top explosive first episode or something??? i guess it's different taste, i personally enjoyed the slower pace and them not trying to force-feed you a bunch of information in the first ep, instead it seems they're going to let us learn more at a more natural pace.
Oct 11, 2020 2:55 AM
Mar 2012
not that into detective shows, but Moriarty had a way better premiere.
The ost & OP are great. MC is fine, but a few issues that dont sit right.
Oct 12, 2020 6:21 PM
Feb 2014
This seems like a pretty cool anime. Seems like it might be problem of the week type anime with hints of a big story underneath it all till it goes blown out story. Feel to like this is going to et darker and darker as it progresses. Any other gang anime people know about? (Other than Durarara or Baccano)
Dokia
Oct 12, 2020 8:31 PM
Oct 2020
im getting some flashback to crows zero
Oct 13, 2020 4:32 PM

Sep 2014
It was OK. I like the ending theme song!

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Oct 13, 2020 8:56 PM

Feb 2015
It was ok, first problem solved the first episode, I don’t know if that girl is going to continue, but she annoyed me. Lot of strange decisions, but I’m interested. It wasn’t clear what G-Boys is, I thought, by the anime’s atmosphere, that it was a gang that sells drugs and fights for territory, but I’m not sure, they’re like good guys, which is kind of boring tbh.
Oct 13, 2020 11:09 PM
May 2018
Honestly the first episode was all right. The whole idea that there is a gang that works to together to close illicit activities is played out.
This doesnt mean I wont give it another shot because the quality of the show looks promising.
Oct 14, 2020 1:46 PM

Aug 2018
this anime looks good and it has a Durarara vibes and the opening is good too but goddamn I didn't like that little girl she ruins the episode for me she was acting in a dumb stupid way she was just throwing stuff at people
overall
4 out of 10
Oct 14, 2020 11:16 PM

Jul 2016
Gangsters playing at being detectives, uh?

Well... not the best of cases to start a series, honestly. This one was actually pretty lame with Makoto having all the resources being given on a tray.

So-so start overall.
Oct 15, 2020 2:31 PM

Aug 2019
MenchiK1 said:
Remember kids cops are good and drugs are bad...also it's OK to join a vigilante gang as long as they work with cops and don't do drugs 9_9

made me laugh, thought the same.
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Oct 20, 2020 10:54 AM
Jun 2020
Finally a show that doesn't glorify potheads. Weed literally stinks. Get 'em outta here!
Oct 21, 2020 6:06 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
This is not related to the anime at all, buit ya'll cannot convince me that the seiyuu for Rei and Takashi are different... nope nope no.
Oct 22, 2020 5:35 AM

Apr 2008
The only people who don't think drugs are bad don't what it's like to have their lives/families destroyed by addiction.

That said this was a meh first episode. Usually I love detective shows because of the mental gymnastics involved, but there was no mystery to think about, Makoto really did have everything handed to him on a plate. Three episode rule, I guess.
Oct 22, 2020 1:42 PM
Nov 2019
Looks pretty basic and average to me
Oct 22, 2020 1:43 PM
Nov 2019
I didn't like it. It's like Durarara but boring and meh
Oct 25, 2020 5:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So this show is fighting against drugs haha, that "smoking kill" t-shirt lol... well it was a fine first episode I guess, the characters seem cool so far
Nov 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Mar 2016
This wasn't so bad, but the girl was annoying. I wish writers would use kids' stupidity to solve problems sometimes.

There is a romance tag in this anime, which kind of scares me. I like stories with two or three hot guys and a lot of drama, but I hate romance. Since this has the former two, and has no signs of the latter, I will watch the next episode.
Dec 21, 2020 12:00 PM

Nov 2012
"AS YOU KNOW [pile of exposition]" Really? You bring in a kid who doesn't know squat and then have one dude remind another dude of stuff he obviously already knows instead of taking advantage of the novice in the room? Sure, alright.

Does anybody else feel like the style of the show just doesn't match up with the story? Like... the style is good, but very clean and sort of the "standard" modern anime look. This feels like it's SCREAMING to be in a more surreal/rough style like Mob Psycho 100. The animation and art here isn't BAD by any means but... it feels like for a series like this they could have been a bit more creative with the style.

That said, I'd rather see a well animated series than a poorly animated one using style to cover for it, so maybe I'm just looking for reasons to gripe at this point.
Feb 25, 2021 12:21 AM

Jul 2015
Dammit Mion, blewing up their cover as customers by throwing the jar of herbs at the owner.

Not sure what to think of how they caught the drug dealers, on one hand Mion got her justice but on the other hand faking the evidence (placing the drugs in their store) so they get caught is kinda sketchy thing to do in my opinion.

Oct 8, 2021 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
Most naïve crap I ever seen in anime. So much of talking and arrogance. Extremely slow and boring pace direction with MC which is worse than most of minor characters in other anime.
May 19, 2022 10:13 PM
Oct 2019
it was ok

bringing a 12 year old around to all these places made no sense though. and having all those connections (police chief, police detective, hacker dude, g-boys, blonde suit guy, etc) was too "convenient". on top of that he eats his fruits and veggies, he can basically do parkour, and he's a good fighter?

6/10 first episode. nothing about this episode made me want to just straight into episode 2. i'll put it on hold for a few weeks and come back to it later
Oct 27, 2022 9:34 PM
Jan 2021
Nice intro episode
Jul 23, 2023 6:37 AM
Oct 2020
I had low expectations especially since it’s just the first episode, but it was actually pretty good! Also my homosexual ass liked the dynamic with makoto and takashi so i enjoyed it more. Can’t wait to see what happens next :>
Aug 31, 2023 9:34 PM

Jan 2016
Was wondering why this anime had low ratings. The characters seem cool, and G-boys seem ok, like a version of the colored hangs from Durarara. I didn’t like the rushed ending though, maybe it needed two episodes?

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

37 by Feary7 »»
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM

» I've heard the drama is a better adapatation of the novel. Are there any viewers of it out here ?

clomapni - Dec 22, 2020

6 by neonkirsche »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:52 PM

» live action IWGP

removed-user - Dec 8, 2019

17 by mdo7 »»
Nov 7, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Dec 22, 2020

77 by GTPROX01 »»
Oct 12, 2023 4:52 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2020

51 by senekohan »»
Aug 28, 2023 10:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.