Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime has huge potential in the beginning but eventually failed

New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2014 9:14 PM

Feb 2013
Blue Exorcist had a really solid setup, then it pigeonholed itself into mediocrity once the 3rd episode hit
Jul 7, 2014 10:03 PM

Dec 2011
Akuma no Riddle was a recent disappointment. The premise was super interesting with the whole assassin lesbians it had going on.

Kaimon said:
Nikoka said:
OT: D. Gray Man could have been much more, too, looking back.

If only it’d gotten a reboot.
Jul 7, 2014 11:37 PM

Nov 2013
Sword art online
Guilty Crown
Deadman Wonderland
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 7, 2014 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
Deadman Wonderland, good first episode but went downhill from there
Jul 8, 2014 12:03 AM

Apr 2014
Mekakucity Actors since its made by one of the goat anime studios
Jul 8, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 2011
mayukachan said:
Galilei Donna and Wizard Barristers

They could have been so much more, although I didn't exactly have high hopes in the first place.

Something I actually had hope for, Gakuen Alice unfortunately ended up the same.

I was hoping Mars of Destruction would be hilariously bad, but instead it was just boring bad. Except for the decapitation bit, that was funny.
Jul 8, 2014 12:48 AM

Jun 2014
ReaperCreeper said:

I was hoping Mars of Destruction would be hilariously bad, but instead it was just boring bad. Except for the decapitation bit, that was funny.

The decapitation was the funniest thing ever. And then the doctor who covered her corpse: "She's gone..." Because that wasn't obvious at all.
Jul 8, 2014 1:12 AM
Jul 2018
Not done yet but Gargantia. Was really enjoyable for the first 9-10 eps now it is feeling rushed. It really needs 26-50 episodes instead of 13.
Jul 8, 2014 1:22 AM

Jun 2014
Rurouni Kenshin had one good season, then a great season, and then... Christian magic and ley lines and depressed blind Kenshin something something? Yeahhhh...

And then a couple OVA/movies I hated and then a live action movie that made me mad... How can such a great manga have such an infuriating franchise?
I have never met a reverse harem that would not be greatly improved
by eliminating the female main character.
Jul 8, 2014 3:12 AM

Jan 2014
sword art online: i prefer it focused more on getting through the floor rather than skipping to 50th floor and focusing on romance

wizard barristers: i want it to focused on trial more like danganronpa/ace attorney though i have only watched until the 3th episode.. will it focused on trial more?
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jul 8, 2014 3:19 AM

Jul 2014
AkatsukiWolf said:
Bleach first comes to mind.

I loved the Soul Society arc and it introduced some of my favorite characters. After that arc the others begin to drag out and so many fillers.

I completely agree with you there, bleach did have the potential to become an amazing show but, it all went downhill after that arc sadly and it's now a really bad show

Jul 8, 2014 6:15 AM

Sep 2013
-Riptide- said:
Guilty Crown
Jul 8, 2014 6:37 AM

May 2008
Guilty Crown and Deadman Wonderland
Jul 8, 2014 12:19 PM

Jun 2014
I agree with Blue Exorcist and Gantz.

Blue Exorcist had a great setup (albeit commonly used). But the lame MC ruined another good show.
Gantz: the pacing was bad, didnt care for the filler in the middle. And they could have done more than just rounds of the game.
Deadman Wonderland was just kinda meh the whole way through.
Jul 8, 2014 12:23 PM
Apr 2008
Moodie said:
Mekakucity Actors since its made by one of the goat anime studios

The honour of goat animated studio goes to madhouse.
Jul 8, 2014 12:32 PM

Dec 2013
well, summer 2014 anime has almost no fantastic first episode, so I think there wont be any of them in this thread
Jul 8, 2014 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
Gene Shaft

It has a great premise but the execution and plot holes stopped it from becoming great, so many questions left unanswered?
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Jul 8, 2014 1:00 PM
Dec 2009
Code Geass
Jul 8, 2014 4:25 PM

Jul 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
No Game No Life. After the
all the other games were incredibly lack luster.

Why ?
I've read the light novel of it and the studios that made the animation didn't skip out many line and some thick conversation to the main plot.
and anyway

Here is some list personally from me of anime that had a great beginning but failed eventually.
- Kamisama No Inai Nichiyoubi : Many peoples thought that Hampnie Hambart would be one of the MC and the rating of the shows went downhill after his death.

- Mahou Sensou - When the first episode got aired, I thought the series would be interesting and i was expecting too much. I dropped watching it eventually.

- Black Bullet - They rushed many things from LN

- Mekaku City Actors - Even though backed up by great studios and great writer + Author, the story is kinda confusing and at some point will makes the watchers becomes confused. Well, the music wasn't really bad though xD

Jul 8, 2014 4:35 PM

Feb 2014
Death Note. First 8-10 episodes were good, then it just went downhill from there (although the very end was alright, so was ep 25/26)
Jul 8, 2014 4:39 PM

Feb 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
mayukachan said:
Galilei Donna and Wizard Barristers

They could have been so much more, although I didn't exactly have high hopes in the first place.

Something I actually had hope for, Gakuen Alice unfortunately ended up the same.

Both titles were headed by Yasuomi Umetsu. Anyone who thought he'd handle a court premise well after the abortion that was the Galilei Donna finale made a grave mistake
Jul 8, 2014 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
Well, I do intentionally try to watch "good" anime...so pretty much anything I scored really low is a pretty big disappointment to me. Well, except for Mars of Destruction which I did watch on-purpose knowing that it was bad.

Although, if I had to pick 5 anime that I thought were going to be really great and turned out to be shit (and I'm sure the fanboys are going to rip me apart for saying this)...

1. Death Note - I was completely enamored with this series when I started watching it. It was intense. It was frightening. It was the sort of thrill I had been looking for for a long time. However, as the series went along, so did my suspension of disbelief. It seemed like the plot twists were becoming more and more ridiculous and when "a certain character died," so did my hopes in the series. Everything after that lost it's touch and I just couldn't enjoy the series anymore. Even the ending, which was supposed to be amazing didn't do anything for me. The series was so far gone by that point that I just couldn't enjoy the ending for as amazing as it should've been.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Of course, I'm not alone in this one. When I started watching it, I heard that it was an anime classic and that it's "one of the most amazing anime ever made." Perhaps for it's time. From a narrative standpoint and character standpoint, it was torture in the latter half. I'll admit, I did dig the first few episodes and saw the potential...but my God, it went down the toilet fast. To this day, I don't see how anyone can call this "amazing." Half the characters made me want to bash my head through the wall and don't get me started on it's "budget cutting techniques." This series makes me want to puke...

3. Eureka Seven AO - YOU BASTARD! I HATE YOU! YOU RUINED A PERFECTLY GOOD ANIME FRANCHISE! *ahem* I mean, this series seemed like it had some potential in the beginning. I was genuinely interested in seeing what exactly happened since the original Eureka Seven. Even I thought the first half of the series was pretty solid. However, as this series wore on, so did my patience for it. One of the few times where I said "we need more Renton and Eureka!" and then when they showed up, I said "never mind! Take Renton and Eureka out of this piece of shit! Oh, and how the hell could you ruin Renton's character like this?!" Seriously Bones, what the ever living fuck...

4. Devil Survivor 2 - The first few episodes kinda hooked me. I was genuinely interested in what was going to happen. Man, as this series wore along, it sure dug itself a hole it couldn't dig itself out of. No character development, forced character deaths that had no impact due to lack of development, deus ex machina ending where we don't see what happened to cause it. Overall, this series was just a mess and I feel sad that I looked forward to this...

5. Coppelion - Conceptually, it seemed pretty cool. I loved its animation style and I was pretty interested in the characters and how this plot was going to play out. Ugh, what went wrong? This went from a series with a ton of potential to a series that did NOTHING with it's run. It had probably one of the worst open-ended finales I've ever seen and it just made me want to cry at how much it underachieved.

Just a bonus, Bleach - Loved the first arc and the Soul Society arc...everything after that was a complete waste of time.
ToucanbirdJul 8, 2014 4:46 PM
Jul 8, 2014 4:43 PM

Jan 2014
midnightblade said:
judals said:
Naruto.
Went from ninja show to dragon ball z to the tsundere show.
Went from clever tricks to talk no jutsu, Chakra welfare no jutsu, cheesy speech no jutsu, everyone-do-a-jutsu-together-just-like-that-gay-scene-from-last-airbender-movie no jutsu.

Went from well developed characters to melodramatic teenagers.

Could not have said it better amigo.. Naruto was my shit when I first starting watching it when they originally aired the dub on cartoon network (think I was in 8th grade, so similar in age to characters too).

I'm still reading the manga, but I got so many chapters behind since March or so. A lot of shippuden and esepcially this war arc has taken much of what I originally liked about the series when I was first watching it (interesting justsu tactics, detailed characters you actually cared about, exploring interesting ninja world) and threw it out the window. Now its more about ridculous overpowering God-Tier Justsu, chosen-one bullshit.

I think the charm of the series that was done really well in the beginning was the funny interactions between characters the anime made you care about, and watching them fight with cool tactics and learn more about ninja world dymamics and history.

I guess I can say some of my dip in enjoyment may be to my age as the series went on and possibly not being able to connect as well with the characters anymore, but still, I think my complaints are valid.

Yeah, that as well.
Senseless powerups played a factor as well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2014 4:45 PM

Dec 2012
gedata said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Both titles were headed by Yasuomi Umetsu. Anyone who thought he'd handle a court premise well after the abortion that was the Galilei Donna finale made a grave mistake
Even Galilei Donna looked like a flawless episode of Law & Order in comparison to Wizard Barristers. I hate remembering that judicial farce, urgh bleh boo. Anyone who studies law and takes it seriously go watch Wizard Barristers if you want to be offended as your practice is spit upon. That guy should stick to his super duper hentai I've heard so much about instead of showing off his poorly versed legal knowledge.
Jul 8, 2014 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
gedata said:

Even Galilei Donna looked like a flawless episode of Law & Order in comparison to Wizard Barristers. I hate remembering that judicial farce, urgh bleh boo. Anyone who studies law and takes it seriously go watch Wizard Barristers if you want to be offended as your practice is spit upon. That guy should stick to his super duper hentai I've heard so much about instead of showing off his poorly versed legal knowledge.

I can't comment on Wizard Barristers since I've never seen it, but Galilei Donna was a pretty disappointing anime. I would've listed it if I didn't think of 6 anime that I thought were more disappointing than Galilei Donna.
Jul 8, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2014
i thought hitman reborn had potential it has a nice setup and some good characters but tsuna and the pacing made it unbearable
Jul 8, 2014 4:58 PM

Dec 2012
Toucanbird said:

I can't comment on Wizard Barristers since I've never seen it, but Galilei Donna was a pretty disappointing anime. I would've listed it if I didn't think of 6 anime that I thought were more disappointing than Galilei Donna.
Well looking at your post I think Coppelion is far worse albeit it had far more potential and I think it could have at least hit a 6 for me without Aoi. That and I thought that when it wasn't melodramatic, it was just flat out dull. I liked the atmosphere that came with the first episode but after that I was constantly weighing whether or not to drop it.

As for Wizard Barristers, this isn't a spoiler but this might give you an idea as to what kind of logic it operates on.

Defendant: Stop saying mean things, my client isn't like that!
Prosecutor: But you have no evidence to support that claim.
Judge: That's a fair assessment.
Prosecutor: Now your Honor, I think the defendant plays tic tac toe in order to raise funds for his illegal panty trafficking.
Defendant: Objection there's no proof.
Prosecutor: There doesn't need to be, I called your client a poopy face earlier so my word is infallible.
Judge: I...I think he may be onto something. Overruled.
Jul 8, 2014 5:00 PM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Toucanbird said:

Well looking at your post I think Coppelion is far worse albeit it had far more potential and I think it could have at least hit a 6 for me without Aoi. That and I thought that when it wasn't melodramatic, it was just flat out dull. I liked the atmosphere that came with the first episode but after that I was constantly weighing whether or not to drop it.

As for Wizard Barristers, this isn't a spoiler but this might give you an idea as to what kind of logic it operates on.

Defendant: Stop saying mean things, my client isn't like that!
Prosecutor: But you have no evidence to support that claim.
Judge: That's a fair assessment.
Prosecutor: Now your Honor, I think the defendant plays tic tac toe in order to raise funds for his illegal panty trafficking.
Defendant: Objection there's no proof.
Prosecutor: There doesn't need to be, I called your client a poopy face earlier so my word is infallible.
Judge: I...I think he may be onto something. Overruled.

I don't know why, but for some reason, I pictured the judge from Family Guy as the judge in this scene. I lol'd.
Jul 8, 2014 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Toucanbird said:

Also the plot was nonsensical and the villains were completely laughable, the sort who
Jul 8, 2014 5:59 PM

Jul 2012
gedata said:

I don't really take in staff in consideration on how good a show can be usually, unless it's voice actors casting. The court premises in either weren't horrible. It was the other factors like plot execution and pacing.
Jul 8, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2012
BasedGodzilla said:
AnoHana episode 1 left me anticipating far better than what was delivered.

It wasn't necessarily bad for me, but just slightly disappointing.
Jul 8, 2014 6:10 PM

Aug 2010
Trinity Blood, although it kind of had its reasons for rushing the ending as much as it did.
Jul 8, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2014
Chaos;Head.
Been a while, but from what I remember, I thought the overall premise was incredibly interesting. Then it got...stupid.
Jul 8, 2014 9:52 PM

Nov 2012
Guilty Crown. I know everyone's said it already but it was seriously that much of a train wreck, so it bears repeating.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Dec 2012
Sword Art Online

:3
Jul 9, 2014 1:26 AM

Mar 2014
Definitely Sword Art Online. The series had alot of potential, but the creators messed it up. Adding unnecessary fanservice along with the story developing into Kirito's own little harem. The whole idea was brilliant, the if you die here, you die in real life rule was perfect. They could of done so much better if they didn't end "Sword Art Online" the virtual game and then bring it into some stupid Elfmania bullcrap whatever its called, who cares. Ugh I had big hopes for this show but it failed! Theres my 2 cents...
Jul 9, 2014 1:27 AM

Feb 2013
Most recently, Black Bullet would be my top pick.
Jul 9, 2014 1:46 AM
Apr 2013
Akuma no Riddle comes to mind.
Jul 9, 2014 2:27 AM

Jun 2013
mayukachan said:
BasedGodzilla said:
AnoHana episode 1 left me anticipating far better than what was delivered.

It wasn't necessarily bad for me, but just slightly disappointing.

I feel like it was the other way around. Was soooo boring for every single episode then the last episode came and hit hard.
Jul 9, 2014 3:35 AM

May 2014
+1 to the most popular name in this thread. Yep. Guilty Crown. I loved art, soundtrack, characters, but last episode was...... Well it is still in my top 10 favorites. If it had a better ending it would be in top 5 atleast
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2014 4:34 AM

Sep 2013
SAO i loved the begining and then it turned out shit
Jul 9, 2014 7:17 PM

May 2014
Guilty Crown and Sword Art Online are the first two that always pop in my head when I hear this question. *sighh
Jul 9, 2014 9:20 PM

Oct 2012
Sword Art Online (second half)
Jul 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Jul 2012
Etari said:

SAO (first half) for me. Second half made it better. First few episodes still was the best overall.
Jul 9, 2014 10:04 PM

Nov 2012
mayukachan said:
Etari said:

SAO (first half) for me. Second half made it better. First few episodes still was the best overall.

Agreed on all counts. Though to be honest, the second season only made it marginally better; it was still largely mediocre overall.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jul 9, 2014 10:13 PM

Dec 2013
Angel Beats

Pretty much everything between the first twenty seconds ("hey wait what are they doing, she's kinda cute and cherubic") and the last eight seconds. Apologies for the sarcasm.

Agreed with Anohana, as 'fail' came early for me there too.
Jul 9, 2014 11:22 PM
May 2014
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia the ending destroy everything -_-
Jul 9, 2014 11:24 PM

Oct 2013
Again. Psycho pass. It had potential.
Jul 10, 2014 12:11 AM

May 2014
haiden no aria. could have been a FTW imo if the story actually was somewhat complete. its like, what, 1/3 complete?

legend of the legendary heros. going great nice psych and rom plots, but 2nd season never came so the story is unfinished
Jul 20, 2014 5:35 PM

Jul 2012
Bleach and Fairy Tail.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime you wouldn't watch? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - Jun 15

54 by Chronon »»
2 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ?

ame - 4 hours ago

11 by Chronon »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Yesterday

16 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago

» What's a period of anime you miss and have lots of nostalgia for?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

14 by Zowabo »»
16 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9125 by anime-prime »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.