Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2008 3:58 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Standing proud in front of his attackers Reinhard has either got balls, a death wish, or a combination of the two. 1 billion Imperial Marks for his head isn't enough.

They haven't explained who was behind it yet. Reuental never mentioned an attack like thisl. Would Lang have those type of connections? Perhaps I spoke too soon and the Earth cult is making a comeback? But then there's the question of how high would they infiltate to pull off such a large scale attack? The lower ranked enlisted men would have to be extremely gullible to believe just a stranger's words that they'd get paid 1 billion marks.

At the least, this sparked a positive change for Julian as he looks to start making his own decisions and breaking from Yang's shadow.
tainteddonutJun 5, 2008 4:14 PM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 25, 2008 4:05 PM

Mar 2008
Seeing Lutz killed angers me... although I saw it coming when he waved to his wife as they were departing. Just sucks that he had to go down like that.

Overall, this episode was full of awesomeness. Besides the Kaiser putting those fouls in their place, my favorite part was right after they broke through the barricade. They are driving in the middle of the road at like 200kph, and then there is a car ahead of them in its lane. They run it off the road and then Muller casually leans out the window and fires off a couple rounds. Then, like nothing happens he leans back into the car as sounds of explosions are heard in the distance. There is an attempt to show that this was a car full of bad guys. For all I knew, and what I actually thought, was that it was just some guy out for a drive, that due to their recklessness, they ran off the road... but then Muller shot the car.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
May 21, 2009 6:36 PM

Sep 2007
OmegaRed said:
Seeing Lutz killed angers me... although I saw it coming when he waved to his wife as they were departing. Just sucks that he had to go down like that.

Precisely what I felt as well. And Lutz was one of the characters that began to get a bit of development at this stage and he actually was pretty awesome. It just pained me to see him get killed after making that promise to Reinhard.

It's during these times that you question yourself why some of the cool characters get killed, but you can't help but to think that it couldn't be helped.
Aug 22, 2009 8:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
many ominous foreshadowing in the previous episodes were realized in this one....

Now, I wonder if one of their new fortresses will change its name to "four admirals" instead of three, like the joke one of the admiral made in the past episodes....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 29, 2009 10:24 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, Reinhard really came off as a badass in this episode. Lutz's death was really memorable and his probably one of the best deaths in the series so far. But, this sounds interesting in that the rebels never came out and said Reuental is behind this assassination attempt. It was only speculation on Lutz and Muller's part, though I really don't see how Reuental's reputation could be repaired regardless.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 6, 2009 11:11 PM

Jul 2008
Wow Awesome episode! I never wanted Lutz to die after what he said to Reinhard T.T
very memorable death...
Nov 20, 2009 4:19 PM

Dec 2008
tainteddonut said:

They haven't explained who was behind it yet. Reuental never mentioned an attack like thisl. Would Lang have those type of connections? Perhaps I spoke too soon and the Earth cult is making a comeback? But then there's the question of how high would they infiltate to pull off such a large scale attack? The lower ranked enlisted men would have to be extremely gullible to believe just a stranger's words that they'd get paid 1 billion marks.

Indeed, it shouldn't be forgotten that the Earth cult managed to get 2 Imperial Destroyers and lots of uniforms for Yang's assination. However, the attackers' behaviour (motivated by money, hesitating when seeing their emperor in the flesh and the corporal who shot his own men to protect the emperor) is clearly that of Imperial Soldiers and not religious madmen. With that in mind, it's hard to see who it could be either than Reuenthal.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 24, 2009 10:52 AM

Dec 2008
RIP Lutz

This series just keeps getting better and better.
Dec 29, 2009 5:54 PM

Oct 2009
What an awesome episode! It was so interesting to watch, that I'll probably watch it one more time. And yeah, sadly, another great hero dies.
Feb 13, 2010 2:19 PM

Jan 2009
Rest in peace, Cornelius Lutz. Looks like you'll never get your formal promotion to Fleet Admiral. You did well to ensure Reinhard's safety, but not so well to hold to your promise and your fiance. It's always depressing to see someone go and leave their loved ones to grieve.

This failure of an assassination attempt should reach Reuenthal's ears soon. If Reinhard and company (the audience as well) believe that this wasn't his doing, it shouldn't prove difficult to think who was behind this.... that damned Lang. It would sound like his doing provided he place a bounty on Reinhard's head.

Reinhard was exceptionally badass this time, calling those money-motivated cowards out. He even managed to turn one of those men around for a brief moment. That was something.
Jun 30, 2010 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
Another Admiral Down. I was way more attached to him than to Fahrenheit or Steinmetz so it was quite sad, but at least he ensured the Kaisers escape with his death.
Still wondering who was behind all this, I can't really imagine it to be Reuental..
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 25, 2010 11:53 AM

Sep 2009
*edit* double post.. mes excuses!
JungleJaneJul 25, 2010 12:07 PM
Jul 25, 2010 11:56 AM

Sep 2009
I think it was Rubinsky who was behind it somehow. Didn't he say to Lang before that he'd make it so that Reinhard would just survive and therefore would suspect Reuental? And also as Reinhard himself said, if Reuental would've planned it, he would have succeeded.
Sep 26, 2010 6:20 AM

Apr 2008
What an amazing episode. firt, it made me appreciate Julian a little bit more (which I never thought I would) as a mature character. I liked his system of letting people expressing themselves freely; and Attenborough reply about him being a performer was beautiful and meaningful.
Then, the battle at Uruvasi showed how magnificent and brave Lohengramm is, he really had guts. And Lutz's death was so sad, but once again prove how much fleet admirals have such a sense of honor and responsibility. Just sad that everyone's trusting the rumor that Reuenthal is betraying his Kaiser, even the latter.
Nov 24, 2010 12:07 PM

Jan 2010
oh man,another one goes down :(
RIP Lutz,and just when i started to like him...but he left a family behind

great episode!maybe the best out of the 4th season ones so far...

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 14, 2011 9:20 PM

May 2010
Now Bittenfield's joke is no longer a joke!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 18, 2011 10:33 AM
Jul 2010
Only good things about this episode were Reinhard and Lutz's badassery. The subordinate of Reuenthal's who guarded that planet rebels, so everyone assumes the treachery started at the top of command.

Given the rumors, this isn't such a big deal, but on top of that we see a ridiculous thing like infantrymen bounty hunting for their Kaiser's head. Who promised that, why would they believe it, why wasn't the information leaked if so many nobodies knew, and who the hell thought they wouldn't get executed for regicide?

I suppose they wanted us to be satisfied when, after being asked whether or not Reuenthal's subordinates would follow him in revolt, Merckatz just nodded. No reasoning... just a fucking nod.
Jun 22, 2011 4:58 PM

Sep 2008
Nooo, Lutz! D:

And Reinhard's words to the assassins in the woods are epic.
Dec 4, 2011 6:51 AM

Apr 2009
D: Lutzzz

Pretty sure Reuenthal has nothing to do with all this commotion, like Mittermeyer thought, he wouldn't resort to something like this. Can't stop watching now, and I HAVE to, to study for a test D: Talk about bad timing...
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 17, 2012 3:46 PM

Sep 2009
That was a badass last stand by Lutz.
Both he and our Kaiser knew he wasn't going to be making it out alive.
Feb 18, 2012 8:24 AM
Nov 2010
No! Lutz! ;-; Just when his character was reaching a very interesting development.
I don't think Reuenthal is the one behind this, he wouldn't do such a thing. Rubinsky is probably the one behind all of this. Maybe (quite probably) those terraists are also involved.

And I love the fact that we are seeing different aspects of Reinhard, first we got moe!Reinhard in episode 89 and now we get super badass!Reinhard. Nice.
Mar 13, 2012 1:13 PM

Oct 2011
lutz is awesome, gotta respect him, you could just tell those 2 soldiers left when he died just wanted to salute him.
Mar 15, 2012 6:24 PM

Aug 2010
May your soul lay in rest in Valhalla, Lutz.
May 3, 2012 1:18 PM

Mar 2011
RIP Lutz, your death wasn't in vain.
May 7, 2012 3:05 AM

Feb 2012
I'm not sure I like the direction this show has taken. It's turned more pompous than before and every episode now has moments that almost seem like parody, like Reinhard's pose after hearing they need to escape. I'm not sure if it's intentional. It was funny when the narrator talked about Julian "Without the flamboyant and passionate confidence of Kaiser Reinhard...". There is definitely something flamboyant about him. The most obvious pairs for slash fiction in this series would be Reinhard/Kircheis or Reinhard/Emil.

I didn't think Reinhard facing the enemies' guns was badass, it was more like showing a deathwish. If you've gone as far as rebelling against the emperor, there's no way that his defiant attitude is enough to make *everyone* hesitate when they know they'll be executed for treason anyway. In that desperate situation there would surely be people who would just try to finish the mission no matter what the cost.
May 7, 2012 6:44 AM

Jan 2012
The part where Lutz convinces the others that he'll stay behind has always bothered me.

They could easily have gotten safely to the ship and escaped in those 2½ minutes they spent talking O.O
May 27, 2012 11:19 AM

Feb 2012
@Feorg
I mostly agree with you, but as a corollary to your first sentence I would add "I'm also not sure that I don't like the direction this show has taken."

I'm ambivalent at this point and just going along for the ride. I don't have a problem with the existence of season 4 itself -- the end of season 3 felt like a natural conclusion to the story, but it was also an intentional anticlimax. It's considerably more difficult to write a post-anticlimax dénouement than a post-climax dénouement, because there's nowhere for the narrative to "fall" after an anticlimax.

But as for the execution of season 4...I'll just say that I'm ambivalent and leave it at that.
May 28, 2012 8:19 PM

Aug 2010
R.I.P Lutz. He had a great end
Sep 3, 2012 10:11 AM

Mar 2009
i shred some tears there~

RIP Lutz
Sep 17, 2012 9:28 AM
Mar 2012
people keep dying in this show that it becomes nothing special, funny how they kept talking and the enemies came right when they finished and how he died the moment that brunhit took off, well it's an old show so it's not a problem
and those democratic guys should die already
Jan 29, 2013 1:24 PM

Feb 2012
Just realized that Reinhard's dramatic "I am your Emperor" speech is riffing off of Napoleon's return from exile on Elba in 1815. Tanaka really does love history, doesn't he? (Assuming that's in the novel, too.)

EDIT: Here's a good account of it if you don't know the story. Napoleon was a fascinating man.
CuriousThingJan 30, 2013 7:55 AM
Feb 11, 2013 2:59 AM
Feb 2013
Thanks for pointing that out. I somehow sensed it must have been based on something from history.

It was a great episode - but alas, it makes no sense, just like the episode before and after it. Think about it: if there were rumors about Reuental's rebellion, he could have simply chose to ignore them. There are rumors every day. What Reuental did was borderline retarded. He fell into the trap like a nitwitt. Even after the Uruwasi incident, why didn't he simply send an appology to Reinhard? Why didn't he explain himself? More so, wouldn't the soldiers immediately arrest Reuental after he publicly made his decision to rebel against Reinhard? Too much of a plot gimmick.
Aug 7, 2013 12:27 AM

Jun 2013
So exciting episode! What a chase and escape!!!

NOOOOOOO Lutz..... :(

This was a truly BRILLIANTTTTT scheme coordinated by Rubinsky and Lang to FRAME Reuenthal and prove that the rumors of rebelling are true, thus forcing Reuenthal to a position where he must rebel. It was Lang that bought out the imperial soldiers to attack Reinhard, but Reuenthal takes the blame! I am really IMPRESSED! AMAZING!!!

Reuenthal got outsmarted this time, he tried to test if the Reinhard trusts him by inviting him despite the rumors, but Reuenthal neglected on the safety of Reinhard, giving Rubinsky a chance to set him up.
Sep 30, 2013 4:19 PM

Nov 2009
That sucks, Lutz gets a fiancee and then dies . . . Very sad. Anyways, I actually doubt this little incident was due to Reuenthal, it would be weird for Reinhard to fall for this trap (also the fact their were no ships surrounding the planet would suggest that this little trap was staged only on this planet, and not a reflection of all of Reuenthal's people)
Oct 18, 2013 9:43 PM

Jul 2011
wakka9ca said:
many ominous foreshadowing in the previous episodes were realized in this one....

Now, I wonder if one of their new fortresses will change its name to "four admirals" instead of three, like the joke one of the admiral made in the past episodes....

The foreshadowing in this series. :/

HydraA said:
Nooo, Lutz! D:

And Reinhard's words to the assassins in the woods are epic.

Reminds me of Napoleon's return to France. XD
Jan 25, 2014 6:30 PM

Sep 2010
RIP Lutz. If only you hadn't indulged in idle conversation with your Kaiser it might've ended differently. Sigh, it's glaring faults such as this that drag the series down - and they've really piled up.
Feb 12, 2014 10:11 AM

Sep 2013
Goodbye Lutz, you were a great man. May you party forever in Valhalla, with other great men such as Yang Wenli.
Feb 27, 2014 8:30 PM
Jan 2014
For those of you who don't know, the scene where Reinhard dares the soldiers to blow him away was pretty much the exact same thing Napoleon did, except Napoleon literally did it in front of 8,000 soldiers and instead of one guy deciding to join him all of them did lol. Just an example of how sometimes real life can be cooler than fiction.
Mar 27, 2014 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
Damn I really hope the Earth cult is behind this and not Reuenthal, nice history reference, would have been a lot more badass if it was done in front of an army though like Napoleon did. Gotta chime in on the crazy irritation I have towards bad time usage in fiction, don't start fucking debating shit while the enemy is on its way, freaking move already lol. Great episode, next!
Aug 12, 2014 4:10 AM

Nov 2013
Poor Lutz :(
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 12, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2012
RIP Lutz
Looks like Reuenthal is going to give in to his own political ambitions though he is obviously being setup as well. This gonna be gewd.

Nov 16, 2014 1:06 PM

Mar 2012
I hate it when a series decides to kill off most of its characters just because it's about to end >_> Wouldn't be surprised if most of the cast doesn't make it by the last episode.
Dec 23, 2014 4:16 PM

Jul 2014
Reinhard was GAR standing headstrong against those soldiers!

Lutz put up a good fight, even when he was dead leaning against the tree with his gun he was still badass
RIP.
Jan 13, 2015 2:09 PM
Sep 2014
Goodbye Lutz. Wow, a lot of characters have been dropping recently.

Reinhard should retreat to Phezzan and bring a large fleet to Heinessen to confront Reuentel, but I'm not sure if he'll do that.
Mar 14, 2015 1:22 PM

Aug 2014
Luuuuuuuuuutz!
That guy was awesome. I wonder what Reinhart will do now?
Jun 4, 2015 3:44 PM
Nov 2014
Lutz's death scene was fantastic, the way it was executed was perfect. I wonder what will happen now.
Jun 21, 2015 1:40 PM

May 2012
Intense episode! Really like where this is going! Let's just hope Reinhard won't be killed before he returns!
Jul 25, 2015 3:50 AM

Dec 2013
RIP Lutz. You had a pretty awesome death.
Jul 25, 2015 5:54 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Every wife in this anime will become a widow in the direction we are going!

RIP Lutz.

I really admired Reinhard's respect and trust for his people in this episode.
Dec 1, 2015 1:45 PM

Nov 2012
At least Lutz killed a bunch of those traitors.. sucks that he died.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

59 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 1, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

69 by Safrichh »»
May 29, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

605 by ryzxgum »»
May 29, 12:32 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 106 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

91 by ryzxgum »»
May 28, 12:21 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 6, 2008

82 by ryzxgum »»
May 27, 12:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.