Forum Settings
Forums

Akira Toriyama, the Creator of Dragon Ball, Dead at 68 on March 1st due to Acute Subdural Hematoma

New
Mar 7, 7:20 PM

Jan 2009
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_2499.html
https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon-ball-creator-akira-toriyama-dead-68/

damn rest in peace legend, he never finished dragon ball super, someone gather the dragon balls
degMar 7, 8:49 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 7, 7:24 PM

Feb 2021
Passed away 7 days ago, but we only learn now, damn...
Mar 7, 7:25 PM

Oct 2013
I'm shocked. It was inevitable to happen one day, since no one lives forever, but still... Very sad information. Rest in piece, Toriyama-sensei. Thank you for everything you've done.
Mar 7, 7:27 PM

Dec 2022
MadanielFL said:
Passed away 7 days ago, but we only learn now, damn...
Yu-Gi-Oh's creator (Kazuki Takahashi) also only had his death reported on several months after he died. Apparently this isn't even a particularly delayed example of death reports.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 7, 7:29 PM

Jan 2011
the man was a national treasure, a true legend
Mar 7, 7:29 PM

Sep 2018
Dragon ball may be the most popular series globally in terms of anime. Big respect for his work including Dr. Slump.
Mar 7, 7:34 PM

Feb 2023
I thought this was fake, then clicked on the article 😢 A bit too young to die at 68, especially in Japan.

RIP Legend.
ForgotEyeWasHereMar 7, 7:37 PM
Mar 7, 7:34 PM

Nov 2013
Some like, others dont, but the impact that Dragon Ball had very few others came close. His passing is a bit surprising, there werent any news about him being sick, and he was not even 70.

RIP legend.
Mar 7, 7:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
were only in March and that's already TWO mangaka... i think last year was like 5 and those were just the ones we heard about...

I could just be another "OMFG RIP LEGEND" person... but SERIOUSLY this shit NEEDS to stop...

how many mangaka are going to die from 30-70 of some more than likely preventable shit?
EcchiGodMamsterMar 7, 7:46 PM
Mar 7, 7:39 PM
Dec 2022
Havent gotten into Dragon Ball yet but damn this is sad
RIP legend
died too young
Mar 7, 7:42 PM

Jan 2020
Thank you for all your contribution for the world, master Toriyama. We will miss you.

Mar 7, 7:45 PM

Jan 2023
Massive respect for his work and the impact that it had, thank you Toriyama-sensei.
Mar 7, 7:46 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I-I'm very shocked to hear this, RIP

His Dragon Ball manga were among the first manga I read

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 7, 7:53 PM

Jun 2020
Wow, I just got to the Piccolo arc and have been incredibly addicted to the og Dragonball recently. This is really depressing. RIP to a legend and his work will live forever.

Mar 7, 7:57 PM

Dec 2021
Didn't believe it at first, but seeing Kishimoto's and Oda's message really made it kick in that he's really gone... This is really where the story of Dragon Ball ends.

IzanaSolosMar 7, 8:03 PM

Mar 7, 8:00 PM
Aug 2023
I’m very sad because this man created one of the best action adventure battle shounens
Mar 7, 8:01 PM

Nov 2018
Fuck man, that's a real shame. RIP Toriyama.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 7, 8:01 PM

Oct 2023
This is a unique type of tragedy that leaves me almost speechless. Genuinely heart wrenching. Few men are capable of doing what Toriyama accomplished.

May he rest in peace.

deg said:
he never finished dragon ball super

We can only hope that Toyotaro carries the proverbial torch to the best of his abilities.
Mar 7, 8:03 PM

Dec 2020
Rest in Piece to a legend. Grew up watching him and his influence was great amongst the animanga industry

"ᴇᴠᴇɴ ɪꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ʟɪɴᴇ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇꜱ, ᴀꜱ ʟᴏɴɢ ᴀꜱ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴏʀɢᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ, ɪ'ᴍ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ."
-𝙈𝙖𝙠𝙞𝙨𝙚 𝙆𝙪𝙧𝙞𝙨𝙪
Mar 7, 8:03 PM

Oct 2016
Nowadays I don't give a fuck about any of his works, but the man left a mark on my childhood and practically my life as a whole, as he did with many others around here. So, respects and goodbye.
Mar 7, 8:04 PM

Sep 2022
Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. Dragon Ball was definitely one of the most influential anime that helped build the foundation of the anime industry.
Mar 7, 8:06 PM

Mar 2019
He formed millions of people's childhoods. He inspired children who had a hard time. He's a legend in manga, and a hero for many.
Mar 7, 8:06 PM

Aug 2019
Now wonder why Super Hero Saga of Dragon Ball Super Manga took 1 year (or 2 I haven't caught up) like the film was out a 2 years ago
Aight I won't be seeing another saiyan transformation
RIP Legend
I make OC maymay
Mar 7, 8:10 PM

Feb 2022
I found this out because I decided to peek /a/ on a whim.

Jesus... RIP to one of the industry's pillars.
Mar 7, 8:15 PM

May 2019
Rest in peace legend of anime and manga.
Mar 7, 8:17 PM
Dec 2017
This is a massive blow to the gut. The original Dragon Ball is what got me into anime many years ago. I would've never gotten into this medium without the Dragon Ball anime. I don't think it has completely set in with me yet. It feels so unreal that he's gone. Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. You are a legend.
A psychic dwarf escapes from a prison. It was a small medium at large.

(×__×)
Mar 7, 8:20 PM

Jan 2012
Just found out the news. Watching my weekly Dr. Slump episode next week is sure gonna have a different feel now. It is not an exaggeration to say I owe my anime fandom to Dragon Ball, still my favorite series of all time. Rest in peace to the legend, Akira Toriyama.
Mar 7, 8:22 PM

Nov 2020
Insane. Rest in peace.

Kamehameha, Toriyama
Mar 7, 8:22 PM

Jul 2019
Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. We will never forget you! Thank you for everything!

----

The amount of worlds that he created that resonates with me like no other is not written... he marked his legacy in my life with Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger.

It's so strange to think about it... to realize that the time has finally come.
I just wish that he's in a better place.

Mar 7, 8:23 PM

Apr 2022
no fucking way man RIP legend. created the first anime i ever watched and inspired my favourite animanga, godfather of shounen.
Mar 7, 8:28 PM

Jan 2010
Just heard about this while watching the State of the Union. This is so sad to hear because Dragonball Z (along with Sailor Moon) was my gateway to the world of anime and I wouldn't be a fan today if it wasn't for both of them. RIP Toriyama-sensei!!! You will be missed!!!
Mar 7, 8:31 PM

Jul 2020
Absolutely tragic. RIP to a legend.
Mar 7, 8:31 PM

May 2018
RIP and thanks for the Dragon Ball memories.
Mar 7, 8:33 PM

Jan 2021
Rest in Peace to a legend. One of the most significant artists in anime history.
Mar 7, 8:38 PM

Dec 2014
I can't believe it. RIP Akira Toriyama, thank you for everything.
PreachElectrickMar 7, 8:51 PM
Mar 7, 8:40 PM

Feb 2009
Remember finding about DB on TV back in 1992 when FOX TV was debuting it in the mornings at 6 am. I was instantly in love with it, told a lot of my classmates about it and nobody knew what it was nor they showed interest, like most they all found out about it when Toonami started to broadcast it several years later. Got to say DB and DBZ was a huge part of my life, sad that Akira passed away. I got a feeling Toei and corporations are gonna start milking his product more than ever to no ends, ala Disney. Wish DB in general stopped and rest in peace, but we all know that ain't gonna happen. I guess like Berserk, I can say DB is done, without the creator for me is no longer canon and worth watching. Anyways, thanks to Akira Toriyama, Dragon Ball will go down as the most famous and successful anime of all time. Can't think of any other anime that has created a fanbase like DB, Pokemon did something but DB surpassed that, Akira Toriyama's work will live forever. RIP
Mar 7, 8:40 PM

Jan 2018
Condolences to the family. He made my child hood a bit better.
Mar 7, 8:44 PM

Jul 2016
Apparently he died from a brain stroke,this is so sad.
Rest in Peace and thank you for the memories.🙏

Mar 7, 8:45 PM

Jun 2015
zeno kun were feeling lonely so they took him.

RIP Toriyama
Mar 7, 8:57 PM

Jun 2011
I couldn't believe it when I saw the news, gone way too soon. Rest in peace to the legend and Godfather of shonen, Akira Toriyama.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 7, 8:57 PM

Mar 2021
Not really an emotional guy, but this hit me in the heart.

Seeing this news instantly sent me back to the happiest days of my life, watching Dragon Ball Z with my brother as a kid. I can never be more grateful to the guy for creating something that shaped my childhood, my hobbies to this day and played a massive role in my bond with my brother.

RIP, Akira Toriyama. What a legacy you left behind.
Mar 7, 9:00 PM

Mar 2021
The level of influence this man's work has had on the anime community and the medium, in general, is immeasurable.

RIP to a legend
Mar 7, 9:00 PM

Jul 2021
What a tragedy this is, to see a legend go so soon. I've haven't been a dragon ball fan for long but the series has become one of my favourite and it honeslty pains me to see him go. Watching Dragon ball for the first time was something truly special and as I'm watching Dragon ball Z right now I'm enjoying every moment of it, I'm gonna cherish every moment now. Seeing such a talented man go breaks my heart.

He paved the way for what shonen anime is today and inspired many people from mangakas to fans of his series, he created something truly spectacular something loved by so many, he created a masterpiece of a manga/anime series that will go down as one of the best series to ever be created.

I never thought I would wake up today and see such a tragedy unfold may he Rest In Peace.

My condolences go out to his friends and family.

RIP Akira Toriyama, forever in our hearts
bubba460zMar 7, 9:07 PM

Mar 7, 9:01 PM

Mar 2021
I just noticed the news of his death.

I enjoyed the anime in real time broadcast, so I am sad to see the original author go. I loved the manga, the illustrations with the detailed mecha in the manga.

RIP.

Mar 7, 9:04 PM

Dec 2020
68, that's way too soon

Fly high king
                                                                                                                                                                                      My reviews

Mar 7, 9:06 PM

Jul 2012
Damn, that is just really sad to hear.
Mar 7, 9:08 PM

Jul 2020
Thank you for all your works. They were a huge part of my childhood and shaped me into the person I am today. You were an absolute legend. Rest in peace Akira Toriyama.

Mar 7, 9:08 PM

Jan 2011
Passed away just a day before my birthday...
As a 90s guy I spent a good chunk of my childhood with Dragon Ball. Thx for this awesome anime.

R.I.P.
Mar 7, 9:10 PM
Nov 2019
Was genuinely stunned when I heard the news. RIP to a legend.
Mar 7, 9:10 PM
Sep 2023
Rest in Peace, Legend. What a tragic day.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

54 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

25 by Tirinchas »»
9 minutes ago

» Say, how does an anime look like on an HD CRT television from the early to mid 2000's or a rear projection TV manufactured around the same time period?

MaximumHolder500 - Jun 2

9 by alshu »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you self-insert? ( 1 2 )

ateks - Sep 7, 2022

72 by Serafos »»
37 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1028 by DEKUO7 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.