Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2023 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
It's cute how everyone gets so well in this episode and show. We got some volleyball, ping pong, and pretty much the standard sports stuff you'd see at most schools.

The volleyball segment was fun although I wish it lasted a bit longer. A lot of spirit and energy came frmo this episode and it was nice to see most of the cast be part of it.
May 2, 2023 7:35 AM

Nov 2010
  • Egashira's positive feedback of negative thinking goes round and round as usual. But thanks to people around her, the oscillation was suppressed.
  • I think high school girls in Tokyo don't wear jersey pants under their skirts.

May 2, 2023 8:16 AM

Apr 2010
Egashira learned a few things this episode and we got to see some of her backstory which explains her behaviour.
She didn't want to help out at the start but she realised there was more to Mitsumi the others helping out was also nice.
Those upperclassmen where not so nice tho except for the one that helped out the girls. 
May 2, 2023 8:31 AM
Mar 2017
Loved this episode! Glad to see Mika opening up and speaking her thoughts, and that sincerity really spreads between people.
May 2, 2023 8:32 AM
Sep 2017
This is a friking GEM OF THE SEASON lads!
May 2, 2023 8:56 AM

Jul 2017
The class match is firing up...and some unathletic people like Mako are not so enthusiastic about it. Even Mitsumi admits her shortcomings, though she tries to make a front about it, since she's participating in volleyball. Mika helping her in willingness that Shima is around to assist her, it's a tit-for-tat trade, for someone that lives for expectations while being jealous that Mitsumi is being very natural towards the handsome school idol. Haha, the Senpais of Shirai and Shibamoto getting onto Mika's Death Note list, but Mitsumi is the complete opposite of her, and in an unfair world such as this, the chubby and not so straightforward girl, who will choose her? Mitsumi, it seems, because without a shadow of doubt, she remembers all of Mika's good points, and that pushes her determination to succeed and aim for the top. The nasty girl, seemingly transformed for the better, and that's nice to see.

Yuzuki braiding Mako's hair, and Mitsumi's topknot just will not work, and Mika provides her hairpins for extra support. With that, the class matches engage, and while the girls' volleyball match has Mitsumi's class advancing, the boys' basketball match is where Shima shines and flutters the hearts of girls, though Mitsumi wanting to pass lunch to Shima...is kinda of a bad time. Mitsumi at least can read the room, though the Drama Club's Kanechika-senpai appearing out of nowhere to make onigiri from Home Ec. class for others. Despite what Mitsumi thinks of Shima as someone who holds back, yet wanting to be a friend to her, he's just that kind of guy who goes with the flow, that's all. And even though the girls' lost to claim 2nd place, the boys advance to the finals, and Mitsumi steels her heart to still give the lunch box to Shima and cheer him on.

Friends together, it's more fruitful than being in a complicated relationship.
May 2, 2023 9:03 AM
May 2021
the past episodes i really didn't like egashira, but it was nice seeing her open up this episode. it feels like she's starting to warm up to mitsumi. hopefully that keeps up in future episodes and she doesn't go back to acting how she did before.

i hope there starts to be a progression in the romance aspect in the coming episodes as well. i just want to see mitsumi and shima being silly and in love
My 2023 candies:
May 2, 2023 9:05 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Midterms is always the first real trial that students face. Well considering how Shima first meeting with Mitsumi went i think her lack of talent in sports is a known factor. Looks like Mika got to where she is now via hard work. That list of hers sounds scary. But its nice seeing Mitsumi's honest nature break through to Mika. The practice the girls went though really paid off. Class 5 really played dirty though. But even if they only got to second place that match was awesome.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2023 9:06 AM

Dec 2022
it was good because egashira realized her mistake but ..........i dont know what to say
May 2, 2023 9:10 AM

Feb 2021
And here is the awaited Egashira redemption arc! And it succeeded, I like her more now
May 2, 2023 9:15 AM

Mar 2021
This was an enjoyable episode it was nice to see Egashira realise her mistake and it was great to see Mitsumi be able to cheer Shima on in his match
May 2, 2023 9:15 AM
Sep 2021
It's sport time, liked the development and backstory of mika and also the development of mitsumi shined at the last made it good.
May 2, 2023 9:20 AM

Jul 2012
Even Egashira has had a rough past that she possibly wants to forget. It seems like she can learn something from Mitsumi, maybe to stop comparing herself to others.
May 2, 2023 9:27 AM

Apr 2023
Mika has slowly become likeable. Mitsumi and Shima's romantic compatibility with each other is starting to show well too.

May 2, 2023 9:37 AM

May 2016
PA got to flex it's muscles during the vollyball match, nice!
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
May 2, 2023 9:40 AM
Aug 2019
man, this anime is getting better and better
May 2, 2023 9:42 AM
Oct 2016
Some team competitions to being everyone together around test time. A nice bit of student bonding now that they're moving along their first semester. Mitsumi volunteering for volleyball despite not being good at sports was funny. She has enough enthusiasm to fill a room but gets ahead of herself sometimes. But she didn't let that stop her, waking Mika to help her with the volleyball training before their class matches. Mitsumi and Mika haven't been on the best terms as we've seen during these past episodes. Now that there's some more context to how Mika feels it makes more sense. Mika sees how naturally Mitsumi acts and how pretty Yuzuki is and thinks comparably she doesn't have those same things to offer. Wondering why others have it so easy while you must scrap by to barely get anything is rough. Its a relatable feeling especially during teenage years. So I understand Mika a lot more now, but like Mitsumi said her personality still isn't great but the effort she puts in everyday is commendable.

Their class did good in the volleyball matches too, until they ran into some actual volleyball players in another class. Going to cheer on Sousuke at the boys basketball game was sweet, he's a nice guy and helps them out so it's nice to return the favor. Mitsumi running back later to deliver those vegetables and cheer him on personally. So sweet seeing them talk after the basketball game. They do compliment each other very well.
May 2, 2023 9:48 AM

Jul 2017
Another strong episode as a whole, nice to see more of Mika's character in-depth and her awkward relationship with Mitsumi during their preparation for volleyball. Good to see Mika have more of an understanding of her and observe the contrast that the two of them have personality-wise. The volleyball portions were pretty well animated with some nice cuts a couple of times that looked cool, made up for the background characters that were in a little awkward CG during the segment with the third years and Mitsumi/Mika.
May 2, 2023 10:02 AM

Feb 2019
Egashira redemption arc worked for me. Her being bullied and insecure about her weight when she was younger explains why she constantly compares herself to others. In the short time they’ve been together, Mitsumi has already had such a positive impact on her.

Loved the scene of all the girls surrounding shima but his eyes were only looking for Mitsumi. So cute 😩
May 2, 2023 10:04 AM
Aug 2021
pickled vegs very nice
they be also balling
good stuff bros and sis
we do be looking at some
nice actions frens
May 2, 2023 10:05 AM

Jan 2021
Everyone is studying hard for their midterms. Mitsumi isn't that athletic but she still joins the volleyball team and asks help from Mika to train her, little by little she gets better.

Mitsumi speaking up since it was their turn to use the gym. Mitsumi likes how Mika never lied to her even if she can be harsh. The girls win their first match. Mitsumi brought food and also wants to give it to the boys but is nervous, meanwhile the boys team win their first match as well. Mitsumi decides to not give the food. Yamada gets praised by Yuzuki. Narumi made some rice balls. The girls tried their best even though they got 2nd place, which is an nice thing as well. Mitsumi gathers up her courage and decides to deliver the food and Shima be like "What's this?" lol. Wholesome episode.

May 2, 2023 10:15 AM

Jul 2020
Not me liking mika from the very beginning, 

anyways, this was another great episode and a great dive into mika and getting to understand why she feels the way she was and her thoughts, if there are reasons for why a character acts the way they do or stuff that hints towards it (aka if they are well written) i find myself liking them even if they have annoying qualities to them and mika is no exception. It was fairly obvious that she has a lot of insecuries about her apperance and her image pretty much, especially with how hard to worked to get to where she is, feeling overshadowed by other people around you can feel very dejecting. this is not only great character work for mika but it just goes to show mitsumi's positive effect on everyone around her

every character feels explored in some way and there are always nuanced messages present in every episode, even if subtle
May 2, 2023 10:17 AM
Dec 2020
Great episode in character development, Mika learns a lot from Mitsumi during the sports day, and Mitsumi also thinks more about her friendship with Sousuke.

Mika's envy seems more understandable now, sometimes you just need to try much harder to achieve what others may easily done. The unbalanced feel is real but it is what it is. The same can be applied to relationships, it's not like you'll always win someone's heart even if you do all you can for them.
May 2, 2023 10:39 AM

Mar 2016
In what would've been otherwise a forgettable episode of the characters partaking in various school sports activities and such, Egashira's previous remarks come back into light. While she tries to teach a clumsy Mitsumi how to play volleyball, it is revealed to the audience that Egashira used to be that unathletic, podgy, shy outcast back when she was much younger. While she endeavored during all those years to change herself physically, though, she didn't do anything about herself on the inside. She still has a short temper and gets easily irritated and frustrated at a drop of the bat. This mentality she has more or less is the different between her and Mitsumi, and is emphasized by how the two remember names during a minor incident with a couple of seniors during practice in the school gymnasium. Mitsumi remembers names for given kindness, whereas Egashira remembers names for grudges and revenge.

Look, this may not seem like much, but there's an important moral to be taught here. We've all our fair share of moments of being thrown into unfavorable situation and been on the receiving end one too many times, and we have good reason to feel upset or depressed due to how someone else caused them to happen. But how we react or behave in response still matters A LOT in the end, as well as whether or not we can deal, cope, adapt, and/or move on from such mishaps and misfortune.

I also like this dynamic that Egashira and Mitsumi managed to gain here. I thought it's a bit too sentimental with how it was presented within the episode, but it makes sense and I still do very much like it. Egashira does care about Mitsumi and takes notice and acknowledges the effort she makes. Sure, the messages may be blunt and harsh, but like Mitsumi pointed out: Egashira is being honest and frank about it. No sugarcoating or beating around the bush with it, just being straight-up sincere and straight to the point.

While this might've been my least favorite episode, it was still very solid throughout with a nice animated brief cut or two during the volleyball match (Haikyuu, anyone?).
May 2, 2023 11:19 AM
Apr 2022
just like haikyuu but with a higher level
May 2, 2023 11:32 AM
Sep 2016
Can we just talk about the falking paint on the railing in this EP (the scene where Misumi and Shima is talking alone about Misumi confess being unathletic)? Like that was totally unecessarily added details, but the animation team just "Eh, we're so good we're far ahead of the schedule. We've got time. Let's just add this unecessary detail to flex a bit since we're bored". Show off....

Egashira is like Ami from Toradora, huh?! Starting off kinda unlikable but has the potential to become the best girls, due to their complex character devs later on.
uncleqrowMay 2, 2023 11:35 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 2, 2023 11:43 AM

Feb 2014
Mitsumi's angry face is one of the cutest things that I've seen from this series! X3

I do like myself an episode focusing on sports, so you can see how those who're not so athletic weren't looking forward to it. For Egashira, this does run deep, as she used to be very unathletic when she was younger, so you do have to admire her for working hard to change her appearance. I enjoyed seeing her teach Mitsumi the basics of volleyball and, while a bit awkward a times, you can see how Egashira does her best to help Mitsumi. She might be harsh at times, but as Mitsumi says, I do like how Egashira tells it as it is without hesitation or any need to sugar coat the criticism. More people in the working environment these days needs this treatment, honestly...

The hard work paid off as the girls got themselves into the finals of the volleyball competition, but despite their best efforts, they lost to the regulars of the volleyball club. I do love the odd cuts of excellent animation from this match. =)

I also liked how Shima, despite being surrounded by so many girls after his team won the basketball match for the boys, was looking at Mitsumi. That was a very cute moment!
May 2, 2023 12:46 PM
Nov 2022
Egashira's backstory and her insecurities brought a tear to my eye, it felt really relatable imo. Glad we got to see more of her.
May 2, 2023 1:24 PM

Jan 2021
Embient said:
And here is the awaited Egashira redemption arc! And it succeeded, I like her more now
+1! Loved all her inner dialogues and explanations. Im loving this show more and more each week! my favourite anime of the season! 
May 2, 2023 1:31 PM

Jun 2019
Some nice development for Egashina. But, my daughter is superior to everyone in this show. Mitsumi, you go my girl. It's such a pleasure to watch this girl do things. So amazing.
May 2, 2023 1:32 PM
Oct 2021
nice to see a lil back story and more context. another great ep
May 2, 2023 1:53 PM

Jul 2007
I've drawn the same conclusions as Egashira in the last scenes of the episode about what we look for in our partners. For all her flaws, she's one of the more relatable characters and whose unkind environment shaped much of who she is today. I'm sure if she was brought up in a relatively safe and warm environment as Mitsumi, that she'd be a much happier and positive person. I think the appeal to someone like Mitsumi is that she is able to maintain much of her innocence, authenticity, and purity, a lot of what I see as privilege not afforded to everyone. In any case, in a world that tries to break down a person, Mitsumi must be protected at all cost. And I hope Egashira is able to shed a lot of the pessimistic thinking and survival/coping skills she's picked up from having to endure so much pain from her negative experiences.
May 2, 2023 2:09 PM
Mar 2015
Our gril came through with the pickled vegetables
May 2, 2023 2:19 PM

Jun 2015
We're finally seeing a little more of what's going on inside Egashira's head and, surprisingly, there's nothing about "killing puppies" or "blowing up orphanages", much to the dismay of half the people commenting here. She's just an average high schooler with issues of her own to deal with, who is now slowly warming up to those around her.

Other than that, great episode, as usual.
May 2, 2023 2:30 PM

Nov 2013
Show always leaves you with a smile :D

Mitsumi is such a vibe.
May 2, 2023 2:38 PM

Nov 2021
Another great episode. I see now why manga readers were telling us to wait on Mika, she's not as rude as she seems at heart and is only the way she is because of her need to fit in.

Also love how Mitsumi was able to take action and run to Shima-kun at the end, she is really smart and is able to realize people's feelings.
May 2, 2023 2:40 PM
Oct 2020
I am so happy she is stepping out of her comfort zone!!
May 2, 2023 2:40 PM
Mar 2023
Our Mitzumi helped another person by changing her perspective and it seems that the romantic feeling came to her.
That beauty.
May 2, 2023 2:42 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
There's the character development i was hoping to see, hope we get more for Egashira. 

I do like her more after hearing about her struggles, they are relatable.
May 2, 2023 2:52 PM

May 2019
landofthekwt said:
Our gril came through with the pickled vegetables
Yes, Mitsumi came through with the pickled vegetables lol. Wanted to add that Mitsumi looks good with the hairpins and it was nice to see that Mika has lightened up a bit.

uncleqrow said:
Can we just talk about the falking paint on the railing in this EP (the scene where Misumi and Shima is talking alone about Misumi confess being unathletic)? Like that was totally unecessarily added details, but the animation team just "Eh, we're so good we're far ahead of the schedule. We've got time. Let's just add this unecessary detail to flex a bit since we're bored". Show off....
I was also staring at the flaking paint on the railing thinking like wow extra attention to detail that wasn't necessary but impressive for the fact that they did it because they could.
May 2, 2023 3:15 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
"While I learn the names of people who pissed me off.... she remembers the name of someone who was kind to her."

Idk man, that moment kind of spoke to me. Speaking mainly for myself here, but I'm sure a lot of us might have a more negative outlook on life whether we realize it or not. And what good does that do?

I needa be more like Iwakura-san here.

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 2, 2023 3:38 PM

Aug 2017
Episode that focused on Mika and we learned something of her past, hell yeah. I like the way the characters are written in this show, characters do have some struggles, but it's not done in an overdramatic style and rn Mika has not immediately changed, it takes it time. 
May 2, 2023 4:02 PM

Dec 2019
lol take the L Mika you're not the main character
May 2, 2023 4:07 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ahah they did better than expected in sports, 2nd place for the girl is already good. Now Mika's character makes more sense with her backstory, especially being chubby in a Japanese society at school is tough regarding how much social pressure she can get from that :/
May 2, 2023 4:13 PM

Jan 2021
Mitsumi so silly thinking no one knows she’s not athletic. Like girl, everyone knows.

Egashira still being fake af I see. Having been the “ugly fat kid” before her transformation, I get why. But I feel like she gave up too much of herself to be “perfect”. Honestly seems like a miserable way to live. I mean as hilarious as it was to see Shibamoto and Shirai get added to her shit list, she’s right about how fast Mitsumi recognizes kindness while she’s only focused on those who’ve wronged her.

After everything Mitsumi said about Egashira, she really ended it with “I’m not saying you were nice. You’re not.” Lmao this kid. At least it seems she’s starting to have a positive effect on Egashira. I like that even she can see Mitsumi and Shima make a good couple. They complements each other very well because they each have what the other lacks in a sense.
May 2, 2023 4:16 PM
Aug 2018
this anime is so good at ending every episode with a huge smile on my face. (; w ; )

egashira's redemption arc in this episode was expected, but done really well! her character is obviously shaped from her insecurities and after learning what she went through, i sympathize and understand her far deeper now.

also just obsessed with the friendship between the girls. they are so wholesome and supportive of each other <3
appiiMay 2, 2023 4:19 PM
May 2, 2023 4:26 PM
Mar 2018
'm starting to see how this show works. It's not at least now focused on anything romantic. It's all about the characters, their personal issues or mental states and Mitsume's clumsy yet motivated actions having some emotional impact on them.
May 2, 2023 5:11 PM

Oct 2022
Ahhh Mitsumi is so effortlessly cool. Never thought I'd like a character like this in anime, she's so well written..

May 2, 2023 5:14 PM

Dec 2022
Hope she doesn't get bullied. I feel Shima is keeping his distance so as not to hurt others or cause conflict. But it's going to happen.

May 2, 2023 5:32 PM
Feb 2013
Another amazing episode in the books. Weekly dose of Mitsumi accomplished
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Mika Egashira deserves more love imo

seroza23 - Jun 11

15 by Whimsykat »»
Today, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2023

233 by capyvaraw »»
Jun 14, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2023

120 by perseii »»
Jun 12, 11:36 PM

» Skip to Loafer Season 2 possibilty?

thermoquasi - Feb 29

26 by imjayhime »»
Jun 10, 11:05 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2023

139 by PokefanPT »»
May 26, 11:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.