Forum Settings
Forums

So how do you deal with MAL only having 10 quantized values for score?

New
May 18, 2022 3:34 PM

Jul 2021
I'm not suggesting to change the system because it's not going to happen anyway. But kinda need to figure out my ratings for my own sake.

10 possible values is not a lot... It's especially not a lot when you consider that the site wide average is between 6 and 7, so basically there are 3 values for good shows, 2 for average, and 5 for bad.

I kind of don't need 5 values for stuff I dropped after an episode or two.
Whereas I actually found some good stuff recently, so it's getting a bit crowded up there.

8 is quite a big barrier, like I put a lot of shows there that I remember fondly, but in general have many flaws. Though not like the 10s are flawless anyway...
So if I wanna give something an 8, I kind of run into the issue of was that actually better than that other show I watched a long time ago, and only remember through nostalgia glasses? And that's how a non-committal 7 happens a lot.

Maybe should just inflate my scores, use 10 and 9 more liberally, so that I don't hurt the average of the shows I did like too much...
Or just stop caring, but that's easier said than done.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2022 3:44 PM

Feb 2013
as i like to say, less rating more watching

:) :| :( is the best system
May 18, 2022 3:48 PM

Jul 2021
romagia said:
as i like to say, less rating more watching

That's the issue, the more I watch, the more I need to rate, and the more confusing it becomes.
If I just never watched anime, none of this would have ever happened!
May 18, 2022 3:50 PM

Feb 2021
i think the number rating system is helpful it’s efficient and there’s even words to help if you’re confused what you should rate something (exp: great good average ect) idk the complaining about the rating system what more do people want
bam
May 18, 2022 3:54 PM

Sep 2020
I wouldn't call 7 and 6 just 'average', because it's not like irl score where those are perceived as mediocre because many of the shows on this site have a 7, they just pass the mark of being forgettable. 5 and below are actually more clear than shows latter to a 7 (I always find myself reevaluating those shows), you have reasons for why you didn't like them so I do agree on that front of the last 5 values being used when you dislike something.

Personally, I keep the list of tens quite short because I see it as a "special place" if that makes sense, they aren't a 'Masterpiece' as the value suggests or even the 'Perfect show'; I found it better to list my favorites because you get to see that even shows you've rated highly don't enter the list due to it being just a matter of personal preference but also recognizing an anime's merit. I didn't keep the show's average in mind because with a favorite of mine being a 6 on MAL, sometimes you've got to see it for yourself.
ReSeinenMay 18, 2022 4:04 PM
May 18, 2022 3:54 PM

Sep 2010
I mainly rate the stuff based on the word behind the numbers. Was the anime good? 7. Was the anime a masterpiece? 10. Was the anime bad? 4.

Couldn't care less about some arbitrary numbers.
May 18, 2022 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
you could probably narrow it down to bad, average, and good.
May 18, 2022 3:56 PM

Jul 2021
N2OBLUe said:
i think the number rating system couldn’t get better it’s simple and efficient there’s even words to help if you’re confused what you should rate something (exp: great good average ect) idk the complaining about the rating system what more so people want
The words actually make is worse, because the closest integer to the actual site wide average is 7, and not 5.
Like sure, a numbering system is simple, and it does not need to be perfect anyway, but it still annoys me more than it should.
May 18, 2022 4:00 PM

Oct 2014
I deal with it by actually using all of them instead of rating on a 5 point scale. 10 numbers is actually enough. My scoring is a bell curve based around 5. 1 is an outlier.

May 18, 2022 4:02 PM

Jul 2021
ReSeinen said:
I wouldn't call 7 and 6 just 'average', because it's not like irl score where those are perceived as mediocre because many of the shows on this site have a 7, they just pass the mark of being forgettable. 5 and below are actually more clear than shows latter to a 7 (I always find myself reevaluating those shows), you have reasons for why you didn't like them so I do agree on that front of the last 5 values being used when you dislike something.

Personally, I keep the list of tens quite short because I see it as a "special place" if that makes sense, they aren't a 'Masterpiece' as the value suggests or even the 'Perfect show'; I found it better to list my favorites because you get to see that even shows you've rated highly don't enter the list because it's just a matter of personal preference but also recognizing an anime's merit. I didn't keep the show's average in mind because with a favorite of mine being a 6 on MAL, sometimes you've got to see it for yourself.
I only have shows favorited that I gave a 10 to too. I am on the opinion that trying to rate something objectively is just your own subjective value judgement, so might as well tie how much I liked something to the rating.
May 18, 2022 4:03 PM

Jan 2022
I am in the same boat as you where not all 8s are as equal as I would like but I cannot really do anything about it without hurting shows I actually enjoyed.

I think the system would be much better if they just moved average from 5 to 3 and let the community sort out the rest. We only really need to separate unpleasant shows into “bad” or “terrible” and even then it's a bit unnecessary because I'm not watching them either way. Knowing the nuances of how good something is is far more important.

I say go ahead and inflate your score. I always round up anyway if ever I am unsure what to give something. Always better to be more generous than more critical if it can be helped.
-insert NGE meme here-
May 18, 2022 4:16 PM

Aug 2020
by cutting it down even more and majority using the top 3 scores LOL

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

May 18, 2022 4:17 PM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
I'm not suggesting to change the system because it's not going to happen anyway. But kinda need to figure out my ratings for my own sake.

10 possible values is not a lot... It's especially not a lot when you consider that the site wide average is between 6 and 7, so basically there are 3 values for good shows, 2 for average, and 5 for bad.

Whereas I actually found some good stuff recently, so it's getting a bit crowded up there.

8 is quite a big barrier, like I put a lot of shows there that I remember fondly, but in general have many flaws. Though not like the 10s are flawless anyway...
So if I wanna give something an 8, I kind of run into the issue of was that actually better than that other show I watched a long time ago, and only remember through nostalgia glasses? And that's how a non-committal 7 happens a lot.

Maybe should just inflate my scores, use 10 and 9 more liberally, so that I don't hurt the average of the shows I did like too much...
Or just stop caring, but that's easier said than done.

I don't find it confusing at all

1=pathetic
2=dreadful
3=poor
4=decent
5=mediocre
6=fair
7=Good
8= Very Good
9=Great
10=outstanding. the only ones that could be reworked I tihnk are 4 5 and 6 . Maybe 4 could be passable, 5 could be average and 6 could be above average
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿฅ€˜”*°•.˜”*°•๐“˜๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐”€๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ป๐”‚ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ญ ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“ต๐“ฎ, ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐”€๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ ๐“ฌ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ต๐”‚ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ... ๐“ช ๐“ฝ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ญ๐”‚.•°*”˜•°*”˜๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿฅ€

May 18, 2022 4:18 PM
Jan 2017
romagia said:
Yeah you're kinda right about that.
May 18, 2022 4:22 PM
Jan 2017
Why does it matter what others tend to rate things? People usually watch stuff they know they'll like, so of course the average will skew more towards the positive end. That doesn't mean 6 or 7 is average. 5 is almost universally agreed upon as "average", it's even the subtitle for the rating on this website. And in the end you decde what each score means to you and rate based on that, you don't need to look at the collective userbase's average to decide that.
May 18, 2022 4:27 PM

Jul 2019
do what I do.

0 = why did you make this?
1 = ehhh
2 = decent
3-9 = very good (as you go up the scores, it signifies better quality)
10 = masterful anime that will not be transcended for a very very long time (in my case, Madoka Magica)
May 18, 2022 4:29 PM

Mar 2015
10 is too much already. I have yet to rate something below very bad (3). also fine (6) and average (5) seem like something more or less the same. I probably could get around with just 5 distinct scoring values
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
May 18, 2022 4:32 PM

Feb 2014
I like 10 the most. 100 is too much for me and 5 is not enough.

What most people don't understand is that, when starting to rate a show you should start at the middle of the scale (so 5 or 6) and then count up or down dependent on how much you like or dislike it.
Most people start at 10 instead and then count down, and then they notice they never rate a show lower than 4 or 5.

So my recommendation: Start at 5 and then count up or down dependent on how much you like the anime. If you felt neutral about it then give it a 5, if you felt positive about it give it higher than a 5, if you felt negative about it give it lower than a 5.
May 18, 2022 4:34 PM

Jul 2021
LuzNoceda said:
Why does it matter what others tend to rate things? People usually watch stuff they know they'll like, so of course the average will skew more towards the positive end. That doesn't mean 6 or 7 is average. 5 is almost universally agreed upon as "average", it's even the subtitle for the rating on this website. And in the end you decde what each score means to you and rate based on that, you don't need to look at the collective userbase's average to decide that.
I only watch shows that I think I might like too. (And I still ended up dropping a lot of them.)
MAL score doesn't matter much, but still might as well not hurt the score of shows I did like, especially since the stuff I know I would not like I don't even start.
May 18, 2022 5:22 PM

Sep 2010
RitoDeviluke said:

1=pathetic
2=dreadful
3=poor
4=decent
5=mediocre
6=fair
7=Good
8= Very Good
9=Great
10=outstanding. the only ones that could be reworked I tihnk are 4 5 and 6 . Maybe 4 could be passable, 5 could be average and 6 could be above average

Omg I love the 1=pathetic, sounds much better than appalling.
Other than that I would maybe say 8=great, 9=amazing, 10=masterpiece.
May 18, 2022 5:59 PM

Sep 2019
10 is sufficient.

"Maybe should just inflate my scores, use 10 and 9 more liberally, so that I don't hurt the average of the shows I did like too much...
Or just stop caring, but that's easier said than done."

You answered your own question, just stop caring, no one actually gives a damn about any of this lol.
May 18, 2022 6:03 PM

Mar 2021
I think that 10 is more than enough honestly. I even think that a system out of 5 would be more than adequate. any more than 10 thought is just way too much imo.
โ˜…ใƒปใƒปใƒปใƒปใƒปใƒปโ˜…
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
โ˜…ใƒปใƒปใƒปใƒปใƒปใƒปโ˜…

May 18, 2022 6:08 PM

Sep 2008
well, a lot of people don't use the full scale, or misuse it for their own amusement.
I personally find it really hard to give 10s, so you could say I only use 9.
้ฆฌ้นฟใ’ใŸๅ€ซ็†ใ€€ๅ…จ้ƒจใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใง
May 18, 2022 6:09 PM
ๅฑใชใ„ใŠๅ…„ใ•ใ‚“

Nov 2016
Just use all numbers that they provide to us then

May 18, 2022 6:11 PM

Dec 2014
I just group them into pairs of two. 9-10 are favourites, 7-8 are anime I liked, 5-6 I have mixed feelings, 3-4 I dislike and 1-2 I hate.
May 18, 2022 6:34 PM

Aug 2020
Just what they say. 5 is average, 6 decent/fine, 7 good, 4 bad etc. 1 and 10 meanwhile are simply those i can say the worst/best (not "perfect") i've ever seen beyond reasonable doubt.

I also don't think that simply higher rated shows say 8/10 are necessarily better than lower ones like those 7 or 6/10. That score is simply for how good that show does what it does not how it compares to other anime which again, exceptions to 1s and 10s. They're at the very top/bottom regardless of what they do. Large scale? Small scale narrative? 100 eps? 1 eps? None of them counts.

Yes there's also a problem occurs whenever i think that an entry falls exactly at 0.5. Higher or lower i just give it whichever it deserves more, carefully or arbitrarily.
May 18, 2022 6:38 PM

Jul 2017
For me, I have 5 values for good, 1 value for average, and 4 values for bad. The way that I score anime, a score of 6 would be considered decent or slightly above average.

I also used to write decimal point scores in my tags section of my anime list, but I eventually stopped doing that lol. But yeah, it would be quite nice if we could have the option to rate in increments of 0.5
May 18, 2022 6:41 PM

Dec 2021
never had a problem with this tbh, wouldnt like decimals. if i see a show that is slightly better than another but they are both 7s, then i just leave it at that
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
May 18, 2022 9:35 PM

Jan 2018
a show could be enjoyable to you but you disagree with the direction they took for example. so not necessarily 1 would be the indication to skip but yeah something definitely went wrong in that anime.
May 18, 2022 9:38 PM

Jun 2021
Yeah I feel you, I'm kinda in the same boat and a majority of things I've seen are rated 7 or 8. Even something as simple as a .5 would help me split them up more.
May 18, 2022 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
In my rating scale 9 and 1 do not exist.
May 18, 2022 10:14 PM

Aug 2016
I put decimal scores in an Excel sheet instead since MAL staff had already rejected that suggestion
May 18, 2022 10:21 PM

Jun 2016
>there are 3 values for good shows, 2 for average, and 5 for bad
Nope. According to Theo1899's rating system, there are 5 values for good shit, 1 for average and 4 for bad. I think OP should just give 6 and 7 more love.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 18, 2022 10:22 PM

Apr 2018
No need to overthink this. Just use the full scale even for things you don't drop and stop giving a damn about "hurting" the MAL sitewide averages.
May 18, 2022 10:30 PM

Dec 2014
Exactly the same as Steam's review scores, I don't.
May 18, 2022 10:40 PM

Jan 2020
I'm fine with it. I've adapted to it and it works for me

May 18, 2022 11:11 PM

Jul 2021
It's easy.

7 means ok good, 8 means I enjoyed a lot good, 9 means I enjoyed so much that I'm gonna remember this for a long time, 10 means I enjoyed a lot, gonna remember this for a long time and will rewatch sometime in the future, this anime will always stay with me.

6 means I kinda enjoyed it at some points but mostly it was boring or bad.

Whenever I rate anything less than 6 it means it is really really bad as I for one enjoy most animes I watch, my mean score shows that too. I only rate less than 6 to animes that are utterly and completely garbage. The lowest I've scored an anime is 4.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 18, 2022 11:17 PM

May 2021
10 possible values is enough, if you feel like you need more values then you can just map it to the 10 given values and it would be the same, just dont care about anything but the integrity of your scale, if you feel like it is strange compared to the usual scale then you can clarify that in your profile. scores are just meant to convey an abstraction of your opinion, by themselves they are just sterile fluff

May 19, 2022 12:35 AM

Sep 2018
- If 4 = bad, it means that 5 = not bad and thus worth watching
- 6 is a fully positive score, it just means that I don't love it (but I do like it)
- I use 9 (usually one per season) and 10 (one or two per year) effectively, instead of leaving them as some unreachable goals
May 19, 2022 12:52 AM

Mar 2022
if smth makes into my top 10, i give it a 10(aside from movies)
if i liked smth and its rating is 8-9 then i give it a 9 (am a positive person, kek), even if i think a series is 8.1 deserving, i give it a 9. which is why there are a lot of 9s in my list.
8 is when i liked smth but really not a fan of it. like jjk.
below that its just me giving 1-7 rating to things i hated, 1 being hated a lot and 7 being hated a little
May 19, 2022 12:55 AM

May 2018
"how do you deal with MAL only having 10 quantized values for score?"

Can't sleep at night, my guilty conscience is eating me.
May 19, 2022 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
I've battled with it since I've been on here. I do like to give some thought as to what shows I get more enjoyment from than others. But the 10-point rating system can be kind of difficult as I can sometimes be stuck between what scores to give an anime. And I also had difficulty defining certain scores for myself. In the beginning, I wasn't the type to give 1s or 2s as I felt that the ratings and definitions for those scores were too harsh. I also didn't give 9s or 10s freely since I wanted to give some meanings to my scores. Even now I still struggle with being comfortable giving such high scores. But maybe I'm overthinking it. I can't say that I would prefer a decimal system though since I've experimented with that on Anilist before and found it more difficult than the 10-point system.
May 19, 2022 1:32 AM

Jun 2010
JaniSIr said:
[The words actually make is worse, because the closest integer to the actual site wide average is 7, and not 5.
Like sure, a numbering system is simple, and it does not need to be perfect anyway, but it still annoys me more than it should.

Just substitute average with mediocre. Otherwise you're just confusing yourself more by conflating the statistical average with the judgement of the good and bad qualties of a singular show and how they balance each other out.

Was it "meh"? Did it have neither any positive or negative things that stood out? Or did they balance/negate each other? That's mediocre (or average if you want).
May 19, 2022 1:49 AM

Jul 2021
JaniSIr said:
This is not to criticize anyone, but perhaps the reason why scores between 1 and 5 aren't that useful is because people tend to like most of the stuff they watch, so their ratings are more sensitive within the positive side of the spectrum.
May 19, 2022 2:10 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Luckily there are not that many good shows competing for the higher ratings and I don't care that much about the bad ones.
May 19, 2022 2:15 AM

Mar 2021
I feel like my scale is all sorts of fucked up. A bunch of 7s looks a lot weirder than a bunch of scores 5 and below. Then again, I just feel like I haven't found that special show just yet, so maybe it's not all my fault.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 19, 2022 2:32 AM

Jul 2020
I'd make the scale 0-6, like
6 = wow so cool
5 = way better than expected
4 = better than expected
3 = exactly as expected
2 = worse than expected
1 = way worse than expected
0 = shit
May 19, 2022 2:39 AM

Nov 2018
I go to bed crying knowing I can't give LotGH a rating higher than 10/10. Other than that, everything else is normal.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
May 19, 2022 3:01 AM
Aug 2021
Just apply what has been made and don’t make it complicated.
May 19, 2022 3:35 AM

Jul 2021
I only needed 4 tiers: bad, average, good and great. I have to spread these into the 1-10 system.

My only wish would be we could order anime with the same score.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your first impression on studio (part-6) : KYOANI? ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Jan 9

55 by velvetnyan »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

36 by ibanezpunkotaku »»
21 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts? ( 1 2 )

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

55 by Fischer77 »»
21 minutes ago

» Has anime ruined your perception of 3D Girls?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

23 by APolygons2 »»
21 minutes ago

» Does it REALLY matter if media gets ruined?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

8 by APolygons2 »»
27 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.