Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2021 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Show definitely has a cartoony feel, from the landscapes to the character designs themselves. First episode introduced Boji who seems to have a rather timid personality although I think he also has a lack of common sense.

Kage (the shadow thing) is a more bizarre character, definitely someone to keep an eye on. Contrary to Boji, some of the other noble characters seems arrogant, especially the queen. They're also really pushing the whole king themes by even adding crowns to Boji and other characters.

A strange show so far imo.
Oct 14, 2021 10:21 AM

Jul 2017
Considering that Wit Studio has drastically moved away from all the big-name projects, this show is truly the beginning of the end for the once prolific studio. That said, Ousama Ranking is not the type of show where I would think a studio like Wit Studio would indulge in, but for a start, this is a weird one considering that Sōsuke Tōka's manga is quite obscure at best.

The OP is pretty good though, considering that it's King Gnu. yama's ED is nice on the visuals too.

The deaf boy 1st Prince Bojji and the shadow Kage, such a weird relationship. The kid prince getting intimidated by the latter into performing "The Emperor's New Clothes" style, of course his royal family would not be happy on why Bojji is in every way unfit to be the future king. That's where sign language is important in addressing to Bojji.

Even the history pays an omage to Attack on Titan with King Bosse's backstory, and the conversation between Bojji and the king reminds me of Ni no Kuni with the Studio Ghibli reference from the PS3 game. To hear that Kage's shadow clan was a house of assassins who assassinated royalty, the Royal Guard is on its foothold. 2nd Prince Daida vs. swordsman Domas, and both brothers sparring against each other, it's truly Wit Studio at its finest.

Since this is a consecutive 2-cour that'll cover the entire manga, we'll see where this goes for a strange start between the boy prince Boji and his shadow creature companion Kage.
KANLen09Oct 14, 2021 11:10 AM
Oct 14, 2021 10:48 AM

Apr 2018
An obedient, smiling prince who's deaf and can't talk but one thing in the world can understand him (and the sword trainer) in a friendly way? That's pretty interesting. After meeting Kage, Bojji's whole life made a 180 turn. It was pretty hilarious to see Kage blushing around him. He's a pretty friendly thief.

The queen is an arrogant whore, I can't believe that she can be like that in front of her own child but back in the days. ''Worthless'' people are treated like that. The little bit of backstory on the king and Kage's shadow clan was pretty interesting.

And Prince Daida is annoying as hell. I expected him to be like that xD Forgot to mention that the action animation is pretty clean. Facial expressions are even better than Blue Period. Which is just HILARIOUS. Bojji vs Daida was amazing. Boji has some hidden talent in him and is pretty good at dodging xD His senes are probably better than the average people out there.

The anime reminded me of childhood cartoons but this is probably far better. Hopefully with this WIT studio will save themselves from breaking apart. The studio is doing pretty bad in the industry but let's see how this will play out. It'll be a 2-cour anime so a full adaptation I guess. His adventure life is near.
The artstyle is pretty childish but I expect WIT studio to add something which will (hopefully) make it better more visual pleasing. The OP is a banger too!

Here's some more information about WIT studio's financial problems.
SideCharacterKalOct 14, 2021 11:01 AM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 14, 2021 10:58 AM
Dec 2017
KANLen09 said:
Considering that Wit Studio has drastically moved away from all the big-name projects, this show is truly the beginning of the end for the once prolific studio.

Yeah, this could be it, but in different way too - studio is in big financial trouble right now.
Oct 14, 2021 11:00 AM

Nov 2007
23 eps total
https://osama-ranking.com/bddvd/?page=vol4
tsubasaloverOct 14, 2021 11:27 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 14, 2021 11:03 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm really hoping that this is a success for WIT Studio considering the latest depressing news of their financial troubles.

Feb 2018
SideCharacterKal said:
An obedient, smiling prince who's deaf and can't talk but one thing in the world can understand him (and the sword trainer) in a friendly way? That's pretty interesting. After meeting Kage, Bojji's whole life made a 180 turn. It was pretty hilarious to see Kage blushing around him. He's a pretty friendly thief. The queen is an arrogant whore, I can't believe that she can be like that in front of her own child but back in the days. ''Worthless'' people are treated like that. The little bit of backstory on the king and Kage's shadow clan was pretty interesting. And Prince Daida is annoying as hell. I expected him to be like that xD Forgot to mention that the action animation is pretty clean. Facial expressions are even better than Blue Period. Which is just HILARIOUS. Bojji vs Daida was amazing. Boji has some hidden talent in him and is pretty good at dodging xD His senes are probably better than the average people out there.
The anime reminded me of childhood cartoons but this is probably far better. Hopefully with this WIT studio will save themselves from breaking apart. The studio is doing pretty bad in the industry but let's see how this will play out. It'll be a 2-cour anime so a full adaptation I guess. His adventure life is near.
The artstyle is pretty childish but I expect WIT studio to add something which will (hopefully) make it better more visual pleasing. The OP is a banger too!

'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Sep 2019
Such a sweet episode. I haven't read the manga and I wasn't either familiar with the plotline of this anime and went in blind because of WIT studios. I wasn't disappointed in the end. The story is very moving and there is so much world-building left for the future episodes- I am very excited to watch this anime series this fall now.
Oct 14, 2021 11:06 AM

Jan 2018
Not really a fan so far, doesn't really help that I don't like the art style either. I'll stick with it though as it's by my favourite studio, hopefully it gets better.
Oct 14, 2021 11:15 AM
Oct 2016
The most anticipated new anime of this season that I had marked has begun with its late premiere. There were so many aww moments in this first episode. I'm immediately invested in everything going on. Bojji is the sweetest little boy, I love him with all my heart already. The senses with him bringing clothes to Kage made me laugh, Bojji so precious just happy to have someone understand him and he his friend. Kage definitely seemed like he came around after seeing how people treated Bojji, so I'm sure they're gonna be good friends. It hurts to see everyone make fun of him so kuch just because of his disabilities. Bojji is very strong just not in the traditional sense, hes not a hulking warrior or a fierce swordsman but Bojji has heart and doesn't let anything stop him from pursuing that dream to be a great king. The animation looked so fluid and I love th art style, it looks like an old fairy tale from hundreds of years ago amped up with stylish visuals. The duel between Bojji and Daida to end the episode got me hyped, Bojji is really good! My jaw dropped just like many of the onlookers. Bojji was dodging those strikes so smoothly, then he landed a hit! I can tell this will be a great anime and I'm glad its going to be around for a while.
Oct 14, 2021 11:17 AM
Sep 2015
Only watching a few minutes and I immediately think this is anime of the season and has a chance to be anime of the year. Plus the King is DILF.
Oct 14, 2021 11:17 AM
Oct 2016
SideCharacterKal said:
A

The artstyle is pretty childish but I expect WIT studio to add something which will (hopefully) make it better more visual pleasing

Never believe Chibi for anything 😂😂😂 dude is a fraud
Oct 14, 2021 11:24 AM
Jan 2021
this anime looks childish but dont sleep on it. after the first episode i got lots of wholesome vibes and that op was amazing.

im expecting this anime to have some beautiful story.
Oct 14, 2021 11:26 AM

Jan 2015
This blew my expectations out of the water.

I wasn’t expecting the MC to be deaf at all, which makes the anime ten times more interesting as well. The animation is 10/10, story looks pretty damn promising so far. Yeah, this is gonna be a ride good ride.

Also I heard this is 2 cours, which makes me even more excited. Haven’t been looking forward to the next episode like this in a while. I just know this is going to be something special.

Oct 14, 2021 11:27 AM

Jun 2021
Good episode. The 23 minutes flew by so fast.

The setting is very unique and interesting. Combined with Wit's high quality animation, I can see this being one of the better anime of the season. Hard to judge the overall story, especially given it's a 2 cour show, but I see potential.

Props for getting King Gnu to do the OP. They've come a long ways since doing the ED for Banana Fish.
Oct 14, 2021 11:39 AM

Nov 2016
Kage = dwarf in the flask

Absolutely great start. The art gives me WMT vibes. On the surface it seems pretty inconspicious and homely, but this will also deal with some hard hitting stuff.

Strong contender for amime of the season already. This may even turn out to be one of the best coming of age stories we had in recent years. That's how promising this seems.

P.S. The opening is one hell of a banger. Slaps fucking hard.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 14, 2021 11:42 AM
May 2016
Hmmm well that was...different.
Oct 14, 2021 11:47 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting first episode. It felt like I was watching an American cartoon at times.

I am intrigued though
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 14, 2021 11:50 AM
Apr 2018
When he cried, my heart hurt for the boy.
Oct 14, 2021 11:50 AM

Jul 2019
Such a good fucking episode, by far my most anticipated show from fall and man it didnt disappoint. Boji is such a good kid and most be protected at all costs. Kage is pretty fun as well. The staff went in man, great directing and the animation was top notch, especially the fight scene done by imai. AOTS to me by far.
Oct 14, 2021 11:55 AM

Nov 2020
damn that dodging skills were impressive and I forgot that yama did the ED song

Oct 14, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2017
I loved this episode, maybe more could have actually happened in this episode for a premiere but I'm definitely willing to give it the time to settle itself before progressing with a story further on. The show reminded me a bit of Mirai Shounen Conan with the visuals for some reason, but modernized. Very nicely animated and I love the cartoony feel with the actual drawings themselves, makes it feel more magical and nostalgic in a way and has a ton of personality clearly compared to most other shows this season. Even the dodging looks really good and so smooth.

I want to know Bojji and the other characters more before I fully come to grasp with the story but for a premiere episode, I had a lot of fun and the episode itself was charming for sure. Hope to see Bojji get some real development as time flies and he grows up. Also interested to see how much of a role Kage plays in this series as well as in Bojji's overall growth. Kind of dope seeing a shadow be Bojji's first friend. Shame that he's deaf though, but I'm interested to see despite that obstacle, how he overcomes everything face on.

The opening song with King Gnu was decent but need some time to get adjusted to it, the tone of the song feels so weird with King Gnu's vocals. ED song with yama was great though and very easy to listen to after an episode of this series.
Oct 14, 2021 12:14 PM
Jan 2021
Loved it! Ive only read the first 12 chapters of the manga and even the pace in the manga is quite fast with how they breakup the chapters which why they probably didn't wanna show too much, however nonetheless i loved the first episode, King Gnu op was great it encaptures the feeling of wanting to see Bojji succeed even though he has a disability holding him back.

This show is different but in a good way, never excpected Wit studio to take this on nor did i expect it to get 2 cours! but now that they have im really happy with the product 10/10 for me tbh. Its supposed to be more comedic adventure so i would really recommend just watching it with an open mind just to enjoy it.
Oct 14, 2021 12:35 PM

Sep 2020
Finally I watched the first episode of my most anticipated anime of this season and it didn't disappoint me at all. Love the first episode, the OP and ED was also good, unique art style and fluid animation as expected from Wit studio.

Anyway I have a feeling that this anime is gonna make me cry ಥ‿ಥ
Oct 14, 2021 12:40 PM

May 2021
I never expected Ousama ranking would get an anime adaption but here we are and it did not disappoint at all. I like the art style quite a bit and it’s interesting that the prince is mute and deaf also. Boji is really nice and I like the kage too. Looking forward to the next episode. Hope Wit studio are able to get out of their financial crisis as well. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 14, 2021 12:47 PM

Apr 2009
Very nice animation but the plot is ancient... It's a deaf kid but people are treading him as he is 20 year old. Yet he still is allowed to wonder outside the castle.
VirtueHunterOct 14, 2021 12:50 PM
Oct 14, 2021 12:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Such a great episode! Bojji is such a pure-hearted boy, I've already cried three for him. Even Kage is pretty much almost fully taken by Bojji :') I also feel for the king, since he loves Bojji a lot, but he's also worried about the future of the country.

So far we don't know much about Daida, he seems proud but also has high expectations for himself, I can't see him as not likable yet. I find him interesting for far. I think it's amazing that a child could have such intensity when fighting, I hope he won't be bad (as in having bad values, since he seems like he wants to be king, too). But anyways, I'm glad Bojji does have some skills! He might not be able to fight with physical strength, but being able to observe, dodge, then strike at the opportune moment is really amazing!

This was one of the shows that I was most looking forward to this season, and so far, it has delivered! Really excited for the rest of the series~
Oct 14, 2021 1:02 PM
Feb 2021
first episode was really good , and i know it will be drop by horny watcher because of art style
Oct 14, 2021 1:03 PM

Feb 2017
I had great expectations for this show since it was announced and those expectations were more than met! The show already gives such a special feeling. The way the world and especially the main characters were realized is so full of heart and soul. So happy I will have this great show to follow for the next 6 months! Beautiful so far.
Oct 14, 2021 1:05 PM

Dec 2009
That was so so so SWEET and CUTE I'm crying. If this level remains I'm gonna score high. <3 The story looks so unique, didn't really see similar to this. Looking forward to the rest! :)
Oct 14, 2021 1:07 PM

Dec 2016
Love this so far, can tell this is gonna be full of wholesome moments. Definitely not gonna be everyone's cup of tea but I'm on board.

Looking forward to watching more!
Oct 14, 2021 1:19 PM

Jul 2011
I didn't know that I needed to watch this one until today.

This adaptation feels like what Ni no Kuni one could had been.

Is strange to see a king that looks like a good king, love his kid and have someone to do sign language.
Is too soon say, but no one looks like over the top evil in that kingdom.

In RPG terms Bojji is a evasion/dodge tank .
Oct 14, 2021 1:34 PM

May 2018
I like it, in this show everyone is a weirdo and has hidden sides.
It definitely has some interesting concepts. Lets see how the authors will develop them.
alshuOct 14, 2021 2:04 PM
Oct 14, 2021 1:52 PM
Aug 2013
Much better than expected. This might actually become quite the interesting show. Doubt that it will be a blockbuster, but it shouldnt do too bad.
Oct 14, 2021 3:02 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I'm rooting for this kid so much TwT

That episode was very good and I can already tell that this series will just get better and better with each episode
Oct 14, 2021 3:05 PM
Aug 2015
I expected to like this show but I did not expect this episode to be one of the most amazing episodes I've ever seen in any anime. I love Bojji and I'm really rooting for him, and I hope Daida doesn't turn out to be an asshole. Imo the animation is very fitting and the soundtrack is great too. Genuine contender for anime of the year so far
"Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

"Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru?!"

-Kamina
Oct 14, 2021 3:19 PM

Nov 2012
They did a really good job at getting you to care about Bojji in such a short amount of time.

The art direction in this is really good.
Oct 14, 2021 4:01 PM

Dec 2016
Truly amazing show in all it's characteristics, animation, storytelling, old school aesthetics, music (the soundtrack during the sparring match was so engaging). This could easily be my flagship show for the season
Oct 14, 2021 4:15 PM
May 2018
The synopsis said that Bojji is a weak prince who can't even wield a children's sword, yet in the beginning we see him running and jumping off walls and trees. I was like 'man, he's too agile!' And then we see the final scene.

Interesting story and characters, nice art style, fluid action scenes. Will watch with great interest.
Oct 14, 2021 4:34 PM

Sep 2020
Reshuffling the original events for the first episode was a good choice.
Oct 14, 2021 4:57 PM
Jun 2013
KANLen09 said:
this is a weird one considering that Sōsuke Tōka's manga is quite obscure at best.

Your manga can't be "obscure" if is able to chart in the Weekly Oricon Top 50, is just not a big series, but far from being "obscure" in Japan.
Oct 14, 2021 5:03 PM

Dec 2016
I liked this episode a lot and Boji is so adorable
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Oct 14, 2021 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
I was so captivated by the characters that I already loved this anime from the very first episode,This anime gave a feeling of difference with other anime, Because it's been a long time since I've watched an anime with these types of plot elements, But I'm looking forward to the next episodes.
Oct 14, 2021 6:49 PM

Nov 2012
I love the nostalgic feel of this. I think I smiled through most of the episode.
Oct 14, 2021 7:22 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, this episode was on point!

I had high hopes for this after I saw the trailers and I'm glad it didn't let me down.
Oct 14, 2021 7:29 PM
Apr 2020
SideCharacterKal said:
An obedient, smiling prince who's deaf and can't talk but one thing in the world can understand him (and the sword trainer) in a friendly way? That's pretty interesting. After meeting Kage, Bojji's whole life made a 180 turn. It was pretty hilarious to see Kage blushing around him. He's a pretty friendly thief.

The queen is an arrogant whore, I can't believe that she can be like that in front of her own child but back in the days. ''Worthless'' people are treated like that. The little bit of backstory on the king and Kage's shadow clan was pretty interesting.

And Prince Daida is annoying as hell. I expected him to be like that xD Forgot to mention that the action animation is pretty clean. Facial expressions are even better than Blue Period. Which is just HILARIOUS. Bojji vs Daida was amazing. Boji has some hidden talent in him and is pretty good at dodging xD His senes are probably better than the average people out there.

I don't think this anime gonna save them tbh
Oct 14, 2021 7:30 PM
Apr 2020
Sondfer said:
KANLen09 said:
Considering that Wit Studio has drastically moved away from all the big-name projects, this show is truly the beginning of the end for the once prolific studio.

Yeah, this could be it, but in different way too - studio is in big financial trouble right now.
they need to adapt a big name series
Oct 14, 2021 7:40 PM

Jun 2019
Wit don’t miss. Especially with good source material. It’s art style is more reminiscent of anime and cartoons targeting kids, but don’t let that fool you. Any seinen anime or manga would only use this style if it had the writing to back it up. I’m looking forward to seeing more.
Oct 14, 2021 7:48 PM
Oct 2013
I haven't read the manga and I read the synopsis weeks ago. Right now, I think we have a really interesting anime season. But Ousama Ranking is the only one so far that put a huge smile on my face at the end of the first episode. I don't know if this anime will be anime of the season. To be honest, I don't care so much. But this feeling when Bojji made the hit is indescribable
Oct 14, 2021 8:10 PM

Sep 2020
Finally! One of my anticipated show this season. I'm loving the art style and the story so far. Bojji deserve all the love and must be protected at all cost. Him crying after being bullied made me tear up as well >.< Really hope this anime gets the hype it deserves.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 17, 2022

119 by Lanz »»
Today, 6:23 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2022

230 by HeetShah3114 »»
Yesterday, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2022

110 by Lanz »»
May 20, 11:24 PM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2022

223 by PrimeX »»
Apr 21, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2022

177 by PrimeX »»
Apr 21, 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.