Forum Settings
Forums

What are some hidden gems that you have found?

New
Oct 7, 2019 11:59 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Most of the community today (or so what I assume) tend to watch mainstream anime, such as Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr. Stone, and the others. Of course, there is no problem about that.

However, as for me, I've lately become enticed with anime that seems to have lower popularity because they have been buried with the fame of well... mainstream anime. Some of my examples would be R-15 which I really enjoyed.

How about you guys? Are there some anime that you think are not that popular, but you really enjoyed?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2019 12:06 AM

Sep 2018
Yeah, Manyuu Hikenchou. One of the best "brain off, dick out" anime series I've seen. It doesn't deserve it's rating in the low 6's.
Oct 8, 2019 12:16 AM

May 2017
There are many anime series that i love to watch that used to be popular,but they are underrated nowadays,like Shakugan No Shana,The Pet Girl of Sakurasou and some of Monogatari Series. There are many underrated shows that have low score that are good,but some are really bad and some shows that are underrated regardless of score,like Tsuki Ga Kirei,which is really good romance anime. There are many good anime that are underrated because it's have unpopular contents that casual anime fans do not care about. If you think some are hidden gems,they feel free to think so.
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Oct 8, 2019 12:24 AM
Aug 2018
Hidden gems I've found are
kyoukai no Kanata
really underrated and very smart writing

outbreak company
the rating for this in MAL is just unfair

spice and wolf
suprisingly no anime fan I've met ever heard of this

Grand blue
funniest anime I've ever seen

Asobi asobase
ONE of the funniest anime I've ever seen

Boku rawa Minna
really good romance anime

these are my picks of the top of my head
hope u enjoy them!!!
Oct 8, 2019 12:47 AM

Sep 2017
Just to mention a fews:

Hyouge Mono A very unusual perspective on the history of feudal Japan: an examination of how aesthetic ideas, social prestige, and politics intertwined each other as a growing mercantile class was struggling against the samurai class for cultural hegemony.

Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Ai Mai Mii Madly hilarious.

Yama no Susume Great animation. Well-written character growth.

Space Cobra appears to be a Hollywood-inspired generic 80s sci-fi action show, but has fantastic Expressionist-futurist art style, stunning use of colours, and great visual composition.

Kamichu! An absolutely adorable slice of life.

Fuujin Monogatari All about the magic moments in mundane life. Better than most iyashikei.

Mama wa Shougaku 4 Nense: A surprisingly fun kid show. Characters are always evolving and there's no repetitive elements. The romcom is sweet and funny.

Sketchbook: Full Color's A cute, wabi-sabi iyashikei.

For a longer list, you may see it on my profile.
Oct 8, 2019 12:54 AM

Nov 2018
Just because-It was great show mixed with romance and slice of life.

Mayoiga-A psychological series filled with mysteries and drama.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Oct 8, 2019 8:26 AM
Jan 2019
A few that I can think off the top of my head would be:

Karneval -beautiful bright and heavily pigmented colours are to die for,plot is fairly simple yet mysterious and characters are all pretty much likeable (too bad it doesn't continue into the manga)

Cuticle Tantei Inaba -charming short series, comedy mixed in with mystery,mafioso goats,a sadistic trap and a transforming wolf detective that has a thing for hair? Approved.

Peach girl -this one is fairly old (2006) but it holds a special place in my heart as it's one of the first anime I watched. Plot is basically every teen rom-com drama ever,but it's so stupid it's good.

Sugar sugar rune -loved the manga to death,as it has magical girls (witches to be exact),spells,potions,princes,evil queens etc. Something like Soul eater meets Sailor moon.
Oct 8, 2019 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
kamisama no inai nichiyoubi is the only one i can think of right now!
Oct 8, 2019 8:41 AM

Jun 2016
Natsume Yuujinchou
A closed boy that finds the courage to make friends, supernatural friends ;)

Aria the animation
So relaxing and a perfect stress relief.

Planetes
A mix of sci-fi with not over the top drama.

Azumanga Daioh
Cute girls doing funny things.

Katanagatari
A great fighter discovers the world with the help of a woman that is ready to do anything in order to achieve her goal.

Lovely Complex
Yes, it's a rom-com. But it's a rom-com about a tall girl and a short guy and it was enough for me.

xxxHolic
CLAMP are taking us to another level as we are introduced to a woman that grands wishes, but with a cost. And a story that mingles with Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.
***roaming the vast anime universe***
Oct 8, 2019 8:52 AM
Dec 2018
I think Madoka Magica doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Most of the times it's overlooked being a mahou shojo anime, and I've seen people judging most of the shojo genres, and thus I think it's would have been rated much higher if people didn't blindly hate shojo genres. The new anime watchers often think the shojo genres has show like powerpuff girls, which is completely misconception. So in my opinion most shows belonging to shojo genres are probably hidden gems.
Oct 8, 2019 9:19 AM

May 2009
Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue is a great sports story involving characters who approach the sport with different perspectives and each develop in their own way.

Kowarekake no Orgel a.k.a. The Half-Broken Music Box is a thirty-minute single-episode production and a touching story, about a musician and an android.

The Tower of Druaga is a very nice fantasy story about people whose quest it is to ascend a great tower and defeat the evil Druaga at the top...or so it seems, at least. They may have their own reasons for doing it though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 8, 2019 9:41 AM

Sep 2018
Kuuchuu Buranko - I'm not sure how to describe this. A childish, needle-fetishist psychiatrist helps various patients overcome their disorders, but it's wonderfully bizarre and has a really unique, striking art direction.

One Outs - I don't enjoy sports and I don't know the first thing about baseball, but I still love One Outs. It's more focused on the gambling/mind games aspects than the actual sport itself. Plus, it shares the same director as Kaiji.
Oct 8, 2019 9:46 AM
Mar 2019
Iya na Kao sare nagara Opantsu Misete Moraitai
Oct 8, 2019 9:47 AM

Jun 2017
salarx said:
I think Madoka Magica doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I'm sure that there's always that initial prejudice of "mahou shojou? ok...", but from what I can tell, it definitely gets the recognition it deserves
Oct 8, 2019 9:48 AM
Jan 2018
"Oh hey I'll pick shows with an 8/10 score and/or a show over 100,000 users on MAL. Clearly hidden gems."

-Almost everybody on this thread.
Oct 8, 2019 9:53 AM
Jan 2018
Tonari no Yamada-kun.
My personal favorite Ghibli film for now.

Golden Time (Movie).
Great short overall.

Africa no Salaryman.
Just released like 2 days ago, and it's insane.
Oct 8, 2019 9:57 AM

Aug 2012
Akage no Anne and the prequel Before Green Gables, it reminds me so much of Pippi Longstocking that i've watched as a kid.
Oct 8, 2019 10:00 AM
Dec 2018
GreatAide said:
salarx said:

I'm sure that there's always that initial prejudice of "mahou shojou? ok...", but from what I can tell, it definitely gets the recognition it deserves

But not as much as most of the generic overrated generic shonen/isekai. Almost every anime watchers around me (who have been watching anime long before me and probably have watched more anime than me), has never heard of Madoka Magica, Cardcaptor Sakura or the Pretty Famous Sailor Moon. Now I won't expect everyone to know about CCS or Sailor Moon since they are really old, Madoka Magica clearly lives in shadows, which I think is a drawback of being a Mahou Shojo. I know most of them will appreciate once they watch it, but the tag of Mahou Shojo itself is repelling. Maybe I too, hadn't watched it if I wasn't into this kind of genre.
salarxOct 8, 2019 10:05 AM
Oct 8, 2019 10:06 AM

Mar 2014
Now and Then, Here and There- It's a dark take on isekai.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2019 10:43 AM

Sep 2017
3-gatsu no Lion and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Two animes about specific traditional Japanese things (shogi and rakugo)

The feels. The feels in these 2 animes. They take the drama genre to a whole another level. They have breathtaking characters buildups, heartbreaking stories and emotions, and really unique vibes and atmosphere

But, because they focus on specific things, that are not especially interesting for a lot of people, they're not really popular despite their greatness
Oct 8, 2019 11:56 AM

Dec 2017
Kare Kano and Kyousougiga come to mind

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Oct 8, 2019 12:00 PM
Mar 2017
TodAboT said:
Africa no Salaryman.
Just released like 2 days ago, and it's insane.

YES i really agree, africa no salaryman really made me laugh from just one episode, and i'm really bitter that its average score is in the 6.00's just because it's a comedy :( literally the anime i was thinking of when i opened this forum!
Oct 8, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2019
Joshikousei no mudazukai would be the most recent one.
Oct 8, 2019 1:21 PM

Nov 2017
Baja no Studio - A sweet, short, fun modern fairy tale about a hamster in an animation studio, with all the polish you would expect from a Kyoto Animation production. Less than 3,000 people have it in their lists, so it's definitely hidden, and also a gem.
Oct 8, 2019 1:25 PM
May 2019
- SDF Macross
- Millennium Actress
- Paranoia Agent
- Haibane Renmei
- Digimon Adventure
- Angels Egg
- Texhnolyze
- Ergo Proxy
- Serial Experiments Lain
Oct 8, 2019 1:53 PM

Aug 2018
night raid 1931

Not really sure if it counts as that hidden though. It was released in US, Europe and Australia and had an English dub produced. I guess historical series are a bit of niche for many. Either way it was a very enjoyable watch.
Oct 8, 2019 1:56 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
There's a ton of good ecchi series from the OVA era nobody gives a damn about

Oct 8, 2019 3:12 PM

Sep 2014
Themousen said:

The feels. The feels in these 2 animes. They take the drama genre to a whole another level. They have breathtaking characters buildups, heartbreaking stories and emotions, and really unique vibes and atmosphere

But, because they focus on specific things, that are not especially interesting for a lot of people, they're not really popular despite their greatness

Ah yes the shows hidden in the top 30 on MAL. T_T
Oct 8, 2019 3:30 PM
Oct 8, 2019 3:56 PM

Jul 2012
Depends on what level you count something as hidden. I personally count anything with over 50k members of at least being well known enough for references to circulate.

That being said for me the most likely candidate would be Ashita no Nadja for a show with only like 20k members I thought it was super charming. Given the episode count might be offputting given the style of the show which would explain the low popularity.
Oct 8, 2019 4:02 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Most of the community today (or so what I assume) tend to watch mainstream anime, such as Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr. Stone, and the others. Of course, there is no problem about that.

However, as for me, I've lately become enticed with anime that seems to have lower popularity because they have been buried with the fame of well... mainstream anime. Some of my examples would be R-15 which I really enjoyed.

How about you guys? Are there some anime that you think are not that popular, but you really enjoyed?
yo, hello Alex, never thought I'd see you here. dunno if you recognize me ;)

I know I won't shut up about this anime in the Anime & Manga Recommendations forum, but oh my god...
I cannot stop thinking about Uta Kata.
That show and Princess Tutu (which isn't really a hidden gem, but...) are probably some new favorites for me, I think. Would definitely like to see Uta Kata get remade/rebooted someday, cuz I do believe improvements could be made on a few things.

I think it's pretty safe to call The Demon Girl Next Door the hidden gem of last season. It was pretty good and it's a bit sad that not many people watched this as it was airing.

Bottle Fairy is a childhood favorite, but I still like watching it every now and then. It's not rated all too highly on this site, though.
Oct 8, 2019 4:04 PM

Dec 2016
Personally, I quite enjoyed Ghost Hound (Shinreigari). Terra e is also very much unterrated. For purely aesthetic reasons, I recommend Cossette no Shouzou (also has great music). For comedy, I cannot not mention Papuwa. It's crazy funny.
mors certa hora incerta
Oct 8, 2019 4:18 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Gardia said:
Natsume Yuujinchou
Aria the animation
Planetes
Azumanga Daioh
Katanagatari
Lovely Complex
xxxHolic

salarx said:

sorry guys but legit none of these are hidden gems, there's like over 10,000 people who've seen all of these mentioned anime
what do you guys think "hidden gem" means
Oct 8, 2019 4:29 PM

Mar 2016
Manaban said:

Are you talking about stuff like Aika or what?

I used to watch as many 'adult' romance OVAs as I could find, stuff like Sakura Tsuushin. So, I'm always curious about ecchi and ecchi-like stuff from that time period. Hot cel bodies are great.
Oct 8, 2019 4:29 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Gonna at least post a few that are under 100k:

Kemonozume
Fune wo Amu
Kurozuka
Nobunaga Concerto
Planet With
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 8, 2019 4:31 PM

Oct 2015
First one that comes to mind is Uchouten Kazoku. Cant wait for the eventual 3rd season. (Assuming it happens)
XquisiteWigOct 8, 2019 4:35 PM
Oct 8, 2019 4:35 PM

Sep 2017
Hrybami said:
Themousen said:

La très vaste majorité des animes du top 50 en terme de notation sont également très populaires sauf exceptions, ces fameuses hidden gems (3-gatsu, Shouwa Genroku mais aussi Natsume Yuujinchou, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu ou encore Hajime no Ippo !)
Après tout c'est le principe d'une hidden gem, d'être excellente mais peu connue ^^
Oct 8, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2018
Juuni Kokuki, Ghost Hunt, Saki, Seirei no Moribito.

There's also manhua like My Wife is a Demon Queen and Release that Witch that I enjoy.

I also discover Solo Levelling, Tower of God before it become big.
Oct 8, 2019 5:04 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
syncrogazer said:
Manaban said:

Are you talking about stuff like Aika or what?

I used to watch as many 'adult' romance OVAs as I could find, stuff like Sakura Tsuushin. So, I'm always curious about ecchi and ecchi-like stuff from that time period. Hot cel bodies are great.

Kinda, AiKA is a good one

The two I had in mind specifically when it came to that post were Futari Ecchi and Jungle de Ikou

Oct 8, 2019 5:48 PM

Sep 2014
Themousen said:
Hrybami said:

La très vaste majorité des animes du top 50 en terme de notation sont également très populaires sauf exceptions, ces fameuses hidden gems (3-gatsu, Shouwa Genroku mais aussi Natsume Yuujinchou, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu ou encore Hajime no Ippo !)
Après tout c'est le principe d'une hidden gem, d'être excellente mais peu connue ^^

Ils ne sont pas très connus lorsqu'ils sont mis à côté d'autres œuvres beaucoup plus connu de ce classement. Or, ils demeurent relativement populaire dans leur intégralité et se situent tous les deux dans les 300-600 en terme de popularité pour leur saison primaire. Nonobstant leur popularité, ils ont déjà décroché une certaine notoriété évidente dû à leur position élevé sur le classement des scores. Ce qui en fait des spécimens très peu méconnu, ou plutôt, qui ne sont pas très bien cachés.
Je comprend ta perspective, mais je trouve que ce sont des exemples qui n'ont pas été creusé bien loin. Pour moi des exemples d'hidden gems seraient

https://myanimelist.net/anime/3358/Kure-nai
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6444/Tegamibachi
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8476/Otome_Youkai_Zakuro
https://myanimelist.net/anime/634/Koi_Kaze
Oct 8, 2019 5:58 PM
Feb 2019
Flip Flappers, Asobi Asobase, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Machikado Mazoku.
Oct 8, 2019 6:02 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Keerthan_Alva said:
Hidden gems I've found are
kyoukai no Kanata
really underrated and very smart writing

outbreak company
the rating for this in MAL is just unfair

spice and wolf
suprisingly no anime fan I've met ever heard of this

Grand blue
funniest anime I've ever seen

Asobi asobase
ONE of the funniest anime I've ever seen

Boku rawa Minna
really good romance anime

these are my picks of the top of my head
hope u enjoy them!!!

From the sight of Outbreak Company makes me want to go

DAN DAN MEBAETAAAAAAAAA
Oct 8, 2019 6:04 PM
Aug 2014
+1 Hyouge Mono

Ie Naki Ko, Tanoshii Muumin Ikka, Giant Robo, Minky Momo, etc.
Oct 8, 2019 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.

Best anime of 2019, yet I've never seen a single person talk about it. Oh well...
Oct 8, 2019 6:16 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Saga22 said:
Flip Flappers, Asobi Asobase, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Machikado Mazoku.

Flip Flappers makes me want to sing along to SERENDIPITY
Oct 8, 2019 6:17 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Fario-P said:
AlexPaulLEWZ said:

I know I won't shut up about this anime in the Anime & Manga Recommendations forum, but oh my god...
That show and Princess Tutu (which isn't really a hidden gem, but...) are probably some new favorites for me, I think. Would definitely like to see Uta Kata get remade/rebooted someday, cuz I do believe improvements could be made on a few things.

I think it's pretty safe to call The Demon Girl Next Door the hidden gem of last season. It was pretty good and it's a bit sad that not many people watched this as it was airing.

Bottle Fairy is a childhood favorite, but I still like watching it every now and then. It's not rated all too highly on this site, though.

Hey Fario. I'm going to tell you a little secret. The reason I asked this in this forum is to...
Oct 8, 2019 6:57 PM

Apr 2016
Seirei no Moribito takes place in a fantasy counterpart to medieval Japan, where the Empress secretly asks a female bodyguard, Balsa Yonsa, to protect her son the prince from his father the Emperor, who believes that he will bring about a curse on the land. You'd think that it'd be an epic road trip or the beginnings of a war story, but it is actually very much SoL in tone as the two simply try to live out their lives in hiding. Fantastic 24 episode series.

Rose of Versailles is a 40 episode series set during the final days of the Bourbon dynasty. It follows Oscar - a woman raised as a man by her father - who becomes captain of the royal guard. Oscar and her friend Andre try to protect the royal family and France as a whole. The first twenty episodes are pretty lighthearted, while the second half of the series delves into the beginnings of the French Revolution.
Oct 8, 2019 6:59 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Fario-P said:

Hey Fario. I'm going to tell you a little secret. The reason I asked this in this forum is to...

nice
now that's the ultimate plan

f r i c k i n c h a r a c t e r l i m i t r e e e e e e ! ! !
Oct 8, 2019 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
Key the Metal Idol: It's not the greatest and has its flaws but it's absolutely worth a look for the aesthetic and some of the social commentary still rings true today.

Scrapped Princess: Has a slow start but once it gets going it gets really interesting. I love all the twists and swerves it throws at you.

The Diary of Tortov Roddle: Very weird, but very nice looking and unique, it feels like a moving painting.

Chirin no Suzu: Absurdly dark, bleak, and depressing kids film. Perfect for scarring kids for life.

Ginga Nagareboshi Gin: Popular in Scandinavia and nowhere else. Cheesy awesome 80's shonen where all the characters... are dogs.

Kachou no Koi: Parodies every damn yaoi cliche in the book with the "animation" of your typical episode of Sealab 2021. It's definitely crass and offensive but I still think it's funny.

Papuwa: Less than a thousand people have this in their list, amazingly. It's nothing amazing but it's got some good gags, especially in the dub. I didn't like the sudden tone shift near the end, though.

Penguin's Memory: A serious war film dealing with all of the horrors of war... with penguins. It's not even a comedy, it's completely serious, but the characters are all penguins.
Oct 8, 2019 8:07 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Fario-P said:
AlexPaulLEWZ said:

nice
now that's the ultimate plan

f r i c k i n c h a r a c t e r l i m i t r e e e e e e ! ! !
The most evil-est plan ever. BWAHAHAHAHHA
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How do y'all watch such long series? ( 1 2 )

erikkamirs - Feb 19, 2022

92 by animegamer245 »»
3 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

83 by BilboBaggins365 »»
3 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7217 by Codric »»
12 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - 30 minutes ago

1 by yuri_pig »»
15 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 3 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

101 by Fyk0 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.