Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 26, 2018 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, Ayano showed more of her normal self as I remember before. The girls had some fun together outside of the usual competitive atmosphere.

Of course, once they got into the badmitton area, Ayano reverted to her more intense personality. I'm still getting used to the change even after 9 episodes since it's so different. Another very tense match between Ayano and Connie this time.

I think it's also kinda interesting to see more of Connie's past.
Aug 26, 2018 8:33 AM

Apr 2017
Fumble with less infodumps and cringy match.. plus iffy direction.. This gives me that sh*tty Fuuka vibes
-HippySnob-Aug 26, 2018 8:40 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 26, 2018 9:42 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

The little outing was super cute and fun to watch, I love the cosplay bits and Connie with the Chinese attire is so much win. <3

You know what, people have been hating on Connie ever since her introduction but I don't really see any grounds for that anymore. She just has trouble expressing herself and all she wants is to have Ayano acknowledge her as a sister. I'm with Riko and Elena, she's surprisingly really cute and I loved the little scenes from her past. I'm far more attached to Connie as a character than Ayano now, if they probably play again I'm definitely rooting for Connie.

In fact I don't see how people can support Ayano's behavior or justify her actions, she's just cold and ruthless with almost no reason to act that way. I really disliked how she decided to just straight out attack Connie with that smash when she thought they were just gonna have a chill game for fun. Just because she has Mommy issues doesn't mean she has to lash out on everyone. If there's someone here who can justify Ayano's actions for me or redeem her character in some way please try.

The part where the team members welcome Connie back and she starts to cry was really sad. T.T

That ending though, Ayano must be horrified. xD
Aug 26, 2018 9:49 AM

Dec 2014
Can't blame Connie for wanting to get closer to Ayano, however she should have sort of expected this outcome after how she confronted her after the practice match.

Ayano definitely needs some counseling to get over what her mouther put her through, and I'd have hoped for Erena to step in more by this point considering how close they have been since they were young; but now the mother is back.

Nagisa not looking good either, so I wonder if her match will be where Ayano will come back to her senses; or if a bloodbath will happen in Hanesaki household before that.
Aug 26, 2018 10:05 AM

Nov 2010
Ayano seems to drift more and more into schizophrenia even if her mindset of abadoning her mother to reverse the feeling of her mother abadoning her, her second personality is seriously closing in on health danger territory.
It will be very interesting to see what they do with the end of the episode bombshell next week.
(Easy out would be for her to run away, but my prediction still is that the mother never meant anything bad but is just bad in human interaction and thought her vanishing would help her child more.) (which obviously was incredibly off)
Aug 26, 2018 10:32 AM

Nov 2011
Ayano just becomes a better character each week!!!
She stands alone as a MC in a Sports anime who is edgy and only cares about getting the Win.
People should feel bad for Ayano more then being annoyed with her, it's really everyone else's fault she is the way she is. If you think about it it's true.

Connie all of a Sudden wants to be family? Okay I guess so.

I could really care less about the Romantic interests of the side characters.

The Bitch Mother returns!

Lelouch0202 said:

In fact I don't see how people can support Ayano's behavior or justify her actions, she's just cold and ruthless with almost no reason to act that way. I really disliked how she decided to just straight out attack Connie with that smash when she thought they were just gonna have a chill game for fun. Just because she has Mommy issues doesn't mean she has to lash out on everyone. If there's someone here who can justify Ayano's actions for me or redeem her character in some way please try.

Okay so she starts High School with no interest at all in playing badminton. She is forcefully pulled back into the badminton scene by the team, her best friend, and the coach. Even though she wanted absolutely nothing to do with badminton anymore she's back in.
Add in to the fact that the Coach tells her that she has Olympic potential....Think about that for a second when you have the potential to be a Medalist in the Olympics, that makes you one of the best Athletes in the WORLD. I would justify that as having a tremendous amount of pressure on you. Ayano only caring about winning and bettering her self makes sense in the fact. Especially when you look at her teammates. None of which are continuing badminton in college and Nagisa's knees basically being broken. Since she is not in doubles competition there really is no need for her to worry about her teammates improving. She a realists and she calls things as she sees them. (Go back to episode 8 when she talks about Nagisa's match)

Then we're introduced to Serigaya who is the catalyst as to why Ayano's mother left her in the first place, thus causing Ayano mental Anguish during her Middle School years. Wanting acknowledgment from her mother in the hopes she would return and to coach her.

Continuing on Ayano starts to open up to her teammates and is having fun playing badminton again. Then enter Connie ANOTHER Catlyst. Who is a BITCH the first time we meet her, and behold she is the person who Ayano's mother left to train and win competitions.

Put yourself in Ayano's shoes. Your parent is the best at their Profession. It doesn't even have to be a Sport. They could be the best Chef, Electrician, Carpenter whatever. You as their child look up to them and not only do what they do but surpass them...and then one day they go...BYE and go and find a DIFFERENT child to mold into their prodigy. Wouldn't YOU be a little pissed off??? The poor girl has severe mental issues and honestly I feel that most people should feel bad for her instead of hating on her.

Ayano stands in a category of her own when it comes to Sports anime. Look at Haikyuu, Yuri on Ice, Kuroko's basketball etc. No other character has had such an unhealthy obsession over winning. You might not like how she turning out character wise by being mean and rude. But (OPINION) she's still freaking awesome and is honestly a breath of fresh air.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 26, 2018 10:34 AM
Apr 2017
SoraSenpai said:
Ayano just becomes a better character each week!!!
She stands alone as a MC in a Sports anime who is edgy and only cares about getting the Win.
People should feel bad for Ayano more then being annoyed with her, it's really everyone else's fault she is the way she is. If you think about it it's true.

Connie all of a Sudden wants to be family? Okay I guess so.

I could really care less about the Romantic interests of the side characters.

The Bitch Mother returns!

Lelouch0202 said:

Okay so she starts High School with no interest at all in playing badminton. She is forcefully pulled back into the badminton scene by the team, her best friend, and the coach. Even though she wanted absolutely nothing to do with badminton anymore she's back in.
Add in to the fact that the Coach tells her that she has Olympic potential....Think about that for a second when you have the potential to be a Medalist in the Olympics, that makes you one of the best Athletes in the WORLD. I would justify that as having a tremendous amount of pressure on you. Ayano only caring about winning and bettering her self makes sense in the fact. Especially when you look at her teammates. None of which are continuing badminton in college and Nagisa's knees basically being broken. Since she is not in doubles competition there really is no need for her to worry about her teammates improving. She a realists and she calls things as she sees them. (Go back to episode 8 when she talks about Nagisa's match)

Then we're introduced to Serigaya who is the catalyst as to why Ayano's mother left her in the first place, thus causing Ayano mental Anguish during her Middle School years. Wanting acknowledgment from her mother in the hopes she would return and to coach her.

Continuing on Ayano starts to open up to her teammates and is having fun playing badminton again. Then enter Connie ANOTHER Catlyst. Who is a BITCH the first time we meet her, and behold she is the person who Ayano's mother left to train and win competitions.

Put yourself in Ayano's shoes. Your parent is the best at their Profession. It doesn't even have to be a Sport. They could be the best Chef, Electrician, Carpenter whatever. You as their child look up to them and not only do what they do but surpass them...and then one day they go...BYE and go and find a DIFFERENT child to mold into their prodigy. Wouldn't YOU be a little pissed off??? The poor girl has severe mental issues and honestly I feel that most people should feel bad for her instead of hating on her.

Ayano stands in a category of her own when it comes to Sports anime. Look at Haikyuu, Yuri on Ice, Kuroko's basketball etc. No other character has had such an unhealthy obsession over winning. You might not like how she turning out character wise by being mean and rude. But (OPINION) she's still freaking awesome and is honestly a breath of fresh air.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1Z02vuppxP1Pa/giphy.gif
Aug 26, 2018 10:35 AM

Jun 2014
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san had Yuuna in a Chinese dress yesterday, then this show has Connie in a Chinese dress in today's episode. I'd say this was a good weekend for anime.

Jokes aside though, it was nice to see Ayano acting like her old self for a bit. Unfortunately, as soon as she stepped onto the badminton court with Connie, the edgelord side came back. I'm sure that aspect of her personality (winning over everything) is found in real life, but I think it's the faces that are the most jarring, and where I have the biggest problems. Those "look at me and how crazy I am" smiles that you would see in, for instance, Kakegurui, just really don't fit this type of show.

Nagisa continues to have knee issues, which I'm sure will bite her when she faces Ayano since she isn't properly resting it. The last part though....I wonder how Ayano will react now that she's face to face with her mom.
thebrentinator24Aug 26, 2018 10:39 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 26, 2018 10:36 AM

Apr 2016
OOOOO Ayano's mom is back... Can't wait too see what Ayano will tell her. Hope something like: "Why the f*** did you came back? To apologize?"

Aug 26, 2018 10:52 AM

Apr 2012
Elena more and more shows herself as a responsible older sister or mother Ayano. I already have the impression that I'm watching the "struggle" between the biological mother and the adoptive mother.
Aug 26, 2018 10:54 AM
Jun 2017
Nice episode, as in here i have seen the normal ayano again with her club mates..

This time the focus is with connie. Well i like what she is doing just to be close with ayano, but sadly when ayank heard her intention, her other mode is back. Hahaha

Lets see the next episode...
Aug 26, 2018 11:16 AM

Apr 2016
Well... I do hope we get some interesting words between Ayano and her mom. I'm wondering what the anime's reason will be for her mom leaving her. Could be the same as manga but who knows.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Aug 26, 2018 11:23 AM
May 2016
UUUH Boy i smell some Drama next Week
Aug 26, 2018 11:25 AM
Mar 2018
God, what a load of crap... When Conny met Ayano the first time she nearly hated her without reason and now suddenly she is desperately trying to become family xD Writing 10/10

But I do like Ayano this way. Fuck them up, girl
SNDTAug 26, 2018 11:34 AM
Aug 26, 2018 11:51 AM
May 2017
For me the big Achilles' heel of the story can be the way they are resolving this situation. I can't come up with a reason I would find acceptable for Ayano's mother abandoning her the way she did.

Oh, poor Connie is crying,,, WHATEVER ANSWER WERE YOU EXPECTING??

Also:

imSOuniqueAug 26, 2018 2:51 PM
Aug 26, 2018 11:51 AM

Dec 2017
um, what a dramatic match. agree with SNDT, when Connie first realized that was Ayano she hated her guts and shat on her in 2 v 2 match and suddenly she loves her? like what?

and her mom just went in and adopted a child under condition "the best here". some next level parenting right here. selective breeding or something

at least Ayano is better this badass way, rejecting this mother that shows out of nowhere like nothing happened...
Aug 26, 2018 11:54 AM

Feb 2007
As sad as it is to see Ayano behave like that, it's mainly Connie's own fault for acting the way she did until now. Silly tsundere complicating things. Well, mom is here now, though, so let's see whether she can turn things around again. Ayano may be too stubborn for now, though.
Aug 26, 2018 12:45 PM
Mar 2018
True. Ayano did nothing wrong.
Aug 26, 2018 12:48 PM

Apr 2008
What the fuck was this episode really? :D Have we kinda forgotten Ayano became like this because of Connie, and suddenly she wants her to be family? I supposed to feel sorry about her? Also Ayano acts like a spoiled brat the whole time, then she suddenly goes into full villain mode? At this point I don't expect any consistency regarding Ayano's writing, but this was a new low. When her mom showed up at the end, I gave up: I bursted out laughing :D

This was possibly the worst episode as of yet and I already have mixed feelings about this show.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Aug 26, 2018 1:07 PM

Feb 2014
It was a surprise to see Ayano acting all normal again..............well, until halfway point of the episode before she went back to her possessive personality. Still, it was nice to see her fangirling over the Wei Wei plushies though. =3

As for Connie, well, I do have mixed feelings for her. It was nice of her to try and build bridges with Ayano, wanting to get along with each other and become a family along with Ayano's mother. However, Connie should've seen Ayano's reaction coming from a mile away and honestly, she did deserve it in a way. Her actions from episode 5 were harsh on Ayano and although a complete 180 degrees on that is a step in the right direction, it was HUGELY satisfying to see Ayano put Connie in her place on the badminton court.

Still, Ayano's expressions can give most horror anime a run for their money when it comes to scary faces, at least for me, anyway. X_X

As for Ayano, the grief train won't be departing anytime for her soon, as her own mother greets her when Ayano gets home. Now I'm expecting the drama level for the next episode to shoot through the roof and I do hope Ayano's mother FINALLY tries to explain her full reasoning for leaving Ayano for the other side of the world. I want those questions to be answered, dammit. >_<
Aug 26, 2018 1:29 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
As someone who was once disowned by a parent, I completely sympathise with Ayano. It is not something that you get over quickly (or really at all). If my "step-brother" became my rival (especially in badminton, which is a sport I excel at), I would probably turn into a demon on the court too. Connie sought Ayano out... Twice. And the first time was to completely humiliate Ayano. To not expect some kind of push back based on that behavior is foolish.

I enjoy the juxtaposition this episode presents, though to me it was kind of obvious how it was going to play out. It lulls you into a false sense of security with a cutesy meta story that really has nothing to do with anything plot related, before pulling the audience back to the reality that Ayano means business now.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Aug 26, 2018 1:35 PM
May 2017

Exactly.

Lelouch0202 said:
... all she wants is to have Ayano acknowledge her as a sister.

You know, I have been sending letters to Samuel L. Jackson for months, as I think of him as my brother. Sure we don't have any connection by blood, nor am I black, neighter am I living in the US or have any positive connection to him, stalking him apparently isn't one :'( , but still I strongly think of him as family.
I suspect he's ignoring my mails, how rude... >:[
imSOuniqueAug 26, 2018 1:58 PM
Aug 26, 2018 1:45 PM

Mar 2013
Hopefully Ayano deals with her mother like a true badminton player and challenges her to a battle to the death
Mastery through endless repetition.
Aug 26, 2018 1:54 PM

Aug 2017
Fuck you Connie!

We have Connie's past but I didn't give a fuck because that she hated Ayano in episode 5. And now they try to make her friendly. WTF??

Ayano's mom is back. pd: this show is 3/10.
NurguburuAug 26, 2018 2:14 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 26, 2018 2:03 PM
Mar 2018
Hahah in your face, bitch. Didn't see that coming.

Aug 26, 2018 2:10 PM
Mar 2017
The old and lovely Ayano came back, I missed her so much, her moments in the wei-wei event were adorable.
The moment of the photo I found it more like an aggregate, we know that Connie has a good physique and it looks good in any feminine outfit
I can´t believe how hypocritical Connie is, after how she treated Ayano in the training camp (episode 5 i think), now she wants them to be family? hahahahaha, the rejection of Ayano was more than clear, "it is not possible that the three of us are family, I will abandon mom now".
Those moments where they shared the nikuman, i felt them cruel, we knew that Ayano did not want to know more about her mother thanks to the events that Connie unleashed.
The most cruel of the episode, is the flashback of when Uchika "adopts" Connie, she abandons her biological daughter because she found another talented girl ?, Mother of the history, she gave Connie all the maternal love that Ayano needed .
Finally the part that bothered me the most was when Connie returns with her classmates, I really should feel sorry for her ?, I'm sorry but that was the least felt, let's be honest. she deserved it, maybe it's not Connie's fault that Uchika left and abandoned her daughter, but in a way she has a relationship with it.

changing the subject drastically, Nagisa worries me a lot, her knee will not stand in the game with Ayano and I really want Nagisa to win so that Ayano wakes up, but I see it difficult.

the end of the episode left me perplexed, how could she receive Ayano as if nothing had happened, the next episode I look forward to it, I want to know the reaction of Ayano, will be the "fuck you mom?" or the emotional "mom came back, I missed you so much"
Aug 26, 2018 2:15 PM

May 2015
Connie enters in out of nowhere! With a miniskirt on!

WHALES! We devote this episode to Ayano and her obsession with WHALES! Is there going to be a gacha game for this? Because it will most likely be filled with WHALES!

Connie wants to be a family with Uchika and Ayano? Pfff. I want to hear it out of Uchika's mouth first.

"Let me be your mama." Is Connie an orphan?

"It's not possible for the three of us to be family." YOU TELL EM AYANO!

"Because this time I'm abandoning mom." If she said "...just like she abandoned me." afterwords, that would have sealed it.

Shut it Connie. You want Ayano to be your big sister? We need to hear it out of Uchika's mouth first...And speaking of which, Uchika was waiting for Ayano to come home. I want to see some RAGE! GIVE ME RAGE! Sure there's going to be forgiveness, but first RAGE! Next episode better be the absolute most dramatic episode in the series. GIVE ME ANSWERS!
TarotistAug 26, 2018 2:23 PM
Aug 26, 2018 2:28 PM

Jul 2015
Yup Savage Ayano is a beast! No matter what people say, she isn't wrong. Literally all circumstances stacked up against her and her brain is just reacting that way as a mechanism of defense. I wonder how she'll interact with her mom next ep
Aug 26, 2018 2:29 PM

Aug 2013
Okay so I got a few things to say about this.

First off, what the hell are we supposed to even think when it comes to Connie? How does she come in being the egotistical chick that basically wanted to wipe the floor with Ayano and prove that she was the better child of Uchika to suddenly wanting a family? Recall that back in episode....anywhere between 4 and 6 that Connie played Ayano and the Megane-chan at that training camp. After it was all over, Connie was pretty much gloating about how Uchika chose her and not Ayano when it comes to her kids. This is basically what prompted Ayano to bring out that edgy side all over again. Now here we are at episode 9 and the dynamic shifted? The hell?

Fun fact: Their relationship is completely different in the manga. Plus their confrontation went totally different so the cutesy part between them would have made sense if they met each other the way they did in the source.

Next, we see basically Ayano's response to Connie's proposal in this episode via their match which was pretty much a "fuck you" in the best of ways. Okay makes sense. And then, FINALLY Uchika actually comes back. However, they STILL didn't bother doing some form of a retcon for the ending of episode 6 where she showed up at the end of the tournament and spoke to the Badminton club. Not sure if production didn't know what they were doing or what but that will still bother me.

All in all, the biggest issue I take with this series at this point is the inconsistency of this show. It started out promising, but some of the main points are causing it to stumble over itself. I read a few chapters of the manga and the show is completely different in atmosphere. The pacing and tone are just completely different. I wasn't expecting this to be one-to-one since I checked out these chapters as the anime aired and I found myself enjoying the anime presentation of the story more. Especially since the manga is more light-hearted, kinda cutesy, serious on a limited scale, and kinda gets fanservicey...however now I'm at full tilt here.

Anyways, now that Uchika has shown up I can't wait to see how they decide to asspull this encounter. Four episodes to go, time to ride this derailing train to the end.
Don't believe the hype.
Aug 26, 2018 2:37 PM

Jan 2016
For once I actually really liked the drama and it didn´t feel forced, but for fuck's sake why does Ayano have to go all demon on her? I don't think that anything Ayano does now will redeem her. Her reason for being angry is very understandable but her anger is portrayed in such a cringey way.

Connie was so sweet throughout the whole episode, which just made Ayano look even worse
Aug 26, 2018 2:42 PM

Feb 2014
Lelouch0202 said:
Great episode.

The little outing was super cute and fun to watch, I love the cosplay bits and Connie with the Chinese attire is so much win. <3

You know what, people have been hating on Connie ever since her introduction but I don't really see any grounds for that anymore. She just has trouble expressing herself and all she wants is to have Ayano acknowledge her as a sister. I'm with Riko and Elena, she's surprisingly really cute and I loved the little scenes from her past. I'm far more attached to Connie as a character than Ayano now, if they probably play again I'm definitely rooting for Connie.

The part where the team members welcome Connie back and she starts to cry was really sad. T.T

That ending though, Ayano must be horrified. xD

They're introducing characters incorrectly imo that's why people hate Connie and still root for Ayano. As for justifying her behavior, you can. Ayano loved her mom and watched her play badminton growing up even going so far as to pick up the sport herself because she loved it and it made her feel closer to her mom. Then one day, without explanation or at least one we know of yet, her mom just up and disappeared. For an elementary school child that is a scarring and mind altering event. Then years later after what we can only assume is zero contact between the two shes sees her mother on the cover of a sports magazine with some other young lady who is being called her daughter, and to top it off she also plays badminton. So in Ayano's mind not only has she been abandoned she' s been replaced as well. Then, as icing on the shit cake this same girl shows up in Japan and essentially taunts Ayano in their very first meeting with the hair ribbon and calling Uchika her "mama" and saying "if mama doesnt acknowledge you then theres no point in playing badminton". Now Connie doesn't know Ayano's situation and Ayano has no way of knowing Connie's back story at this time so there's no reason she'd feel any sympathy toward her or even know the level of despair she just brought back to the forefront of Ayno's mind. Its a shitty situation but Ayano's behavior is completely justified given the facts and the information known. Long story short Uchika is a shitty parent and has caused all this drama with her unnecessary bullshit. Sorry for the essay If anyone wants to dispute this rant feel free.
Around and around the cycle goes.
Aug 26, 2018 2:43 PM

Feb 2012
Connie becomes a completely different character in both actions and motives, last we saw her she was a total different person. Inconsistency is the key word for this show. and I don't even know what to think about Ayano acting all cutesy all of a sudden (just for the 'plot twist' moment).

oh look, the mother who abandoned her child for years without a word comes back with a smile, like nothing happened LOL

Aug 26, 2018 2:57 PM
Apr 2013
Regarding Connie's bizarre attitude change, some speculation: Connie was shown on the phone to Uchika after meeting Ayano. Maybe Uchika told her she had to make Ayano accept her into the family or something. It wouldn't surprise me if Uchika thinks she's done nothing wrong this whole time (obviously she has.)

Personally I think Ayano is a fascinating character. It's really sad that so many viewers say they hate her for how she behaves, when there are a whole series of reasons for all of it that have been shown very clearly all along.
Aug 26, 2018 2:57 PM

Apr 2015
Ayano with that Wei Wei obsession was adorable! Good to see her again acting more like her usual self. Eventho it didn't last long, we quickly get to see savage Ayano back. Rejecting Connie and Uchika as a family and to be honest, I can't really blame her at this point.

Uchika finally shows herself again to Ayano, I wonder what will happen next!
Aug 26, 2018 3:11 PM

Mar 2018
So a few episodes back Connie was mean to Ayanon and now she wants to be her sister like "nothing happened before"

Ayano should dismiss Connie, and now that Trash Mom is back, Ayano should finally gave up on her...
Aug 26, 2018 3:16 PM
May 2017
imSOunique said:

Exactly.

Lelouch0202 said:
... all she wants is to have Ayano acknowledge her as a sister.

You know, I have been sending letters to Samuel L. Jackson for months, as I think of him as my brother. Sure we don't have any connection by blood, nor am I black, neighter am I living in the US or have any positive connection to him, stalking him apparently isn't one :'( , but still I strongly think of him as family.
I suspect he's ignoring my mails, how rude... >:[

Honestly I think this anime is bad character wise. First they introduce Hanesaki as a cute girl who wants to have friends etc then... Boom, she become a cold, and unlikable character. I get that she had a terrible past with her mom abandoning her (Karuoko) + she found out that her mom found a substitute, but I really don't think that's a reason to be mean with her teammate or like everyone she plays against. I can't comprehend that. But, Karuoko and Connie too are weird. They are first introduce as vilain like character but you don't think the same after their backstory and after they play Hanesaki. The Connie from several episode ago and the Connie from this ep are like twowo different person. I really think that's why people (or maybe just me idk) care more about the other like Connie than Hanesaki because she acts like a "vilain" now.

Next episode is gonna be very weird with her mom returning for no reason. I'm curious to see if they gonna find some BS reason as to why she left Hanesaki. But again, character aren't consistent in their behaviour in this anime.
Aug 26, 2018 3:27 PM

Dec 2016
Ok it was very random of Connie asking Ayano to be a part of family, but I think she does feel something. Sadly Ayano doesn't return the feelings after she mentioned about her mom.

That ending o_o" ... I wonder what will Ayano say to her mom. I bet Ayano will act cold towards Uchika. Can't blame her after being abandoned by her own mom after all this time without a single word. I feel nervous just thinking about it while imagining Ayano become a beast with those cold eyes like always...

Feeling very curious, but I have to wait till next week XP

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 26, 2018 3:37 PM

May 2017
imSOunique said:
For me the big Achilles' heel of the story can be the way they are resolving this situation. I can't come up with a reason I would find acceptable for Ayano's mother abandoning her the way she did.

Oh, poor Connie is crying,,, WHATEVER ANSWER WERE YOU EXPECTING??

Also:

This. Where dem parents at lmao!?

Aug 26, 2018 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
Unnecessary drama as fucking usual, oh my god. Abusive mother that we are supposed to like? Connie wanted to be sisters? The fuck? The girl with knee pain trying to get herself an injury
I just... Seriously, this anime suck. I can't believe I held expectations at the beginning. Disappointing as hell.
Aug 26, 2018 4:18 PM
May 2017
Some of the people here are like: Why won't Ayano just get over her "mommy issues" already??

Well, that's not how it works at all (I guess it does in some animes out there, but not in real life).

Most of us (luckily) don't have this kind of experience in real life, so it might not be that easy to understand. To put it simply: the person who should be the one who loves you the most, simply takes her shit and leaves.
Again, (luckily) I didn't experience this personally and I am no expert, but I know someone who did. In my opinion these "mommy issues" are (mostly) IMPOSSIBLE to solve (again not talking about anime world).
Actually usually the "solution" is this:

Never ever meeting again.

Anyway, I doubt the anime will end like this because Ayano deserves to be happy and I guess it doesn't hurt ending on a positive note. So I won't be too disappointed if they make up with her mom, who's having some stupid reason for all this.
Altogether I'm glad this kind of drama is present in the series, I probably would have lost interest a long time ago (I am not a sport anime fan).

As you can guess I am not a big fan of Connie, but I don't think she is evil.
Simply put she has absolutely no idea about the situation. She is kind of trying different methods of getting closer to her "sister", not knowing Ayano despises not just her, but even more so her own mother.
And she has a good reason to do so.
Imagine the aforementioned situation: Ayano's mother leaves her. Pretty bad, eh? But now as an addition, her mother "adopts" a new girl, who happens to be a talented badminton player, meaning Ayano wasn't good enough.
But here comes the best part. That f###ing brat comes here and rubs salt into her wounds.
"Want to be a family? You mean what we were before she left me for you??
EAT SHIT AND DIE."

Again, I don't think Connie is doing this with ill intent, she just happens to have no clue about what is going on.
Although it is not so difficult: if Ayano's mom is here with me constantly for X years, then she isn't with Ayano, and there is a good chance that Ayano is slightly bothered by this.
But well, she probably hasn't been thinking too hard about these things, since she was and is still young.

The real villain is Ayanos mother, who still seems to show no remorse, and no matter what happens I won't accept her.

The ending we deserve:
Aug 26, 2018 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
This episode has got me mixed bag feeling since something good and yet random drama came out of nowhere but at the end personally liked the direction in positive way some way around considering the cliffhanger was perfect.
Speaking of this episode, at first I was quite surprised to see Ayano's happy going personality since last episode ended with her being bossy side criticizing others. Also was pleasant to watch some SoL moments on the first half which was really cute :3 and on the other hand it was quite shocked to see Connie's sudden change in her rough character (and her role as well) as if her last match didn't create that impact and she lost this match very easier despite on her last match she almost beat two of them by herself! And now she wants Ayano to acknowledge her while last time she had her rough personality. But I am liking now the overall direction of the story is going more focusing on Ayano's side against her mother (and her sufference) which kind of very understandable and interesting family drama imo and curious to see how story develops from here. For now I can't accept any redeeming excuse from Ayano's mom.. she is easily now the worst mother I have seen considering she abandoned Ayano as child and was taking care of random child..

Aug 26, 2018 5:06 PM

Nov 2017
Hahahhahahha you go girl ayano!!!!

Now lets fck this mom up and abandon her 4ever.
Connie deserves humiliation but shes ok for the rest and I hope she becomes a better person, abandons her kidnapper ‘mom’, reunites with her real parents and becomes friends with ayaon XDXDXX

plz @ me
Aug 26, 2018 5:08 PM

May 2016
Regarding Connie sudden character shift, I think you need to look at from both her's and Ayano's perspective.

When we first saw Connie she's arrogant and self-centered, having no respect for Ayano. She seriously believed she was the better player because she was trained by Ayano's mother. But when she really got to know Ayano and the suffering she went through(most likely explained in that telephone conversation with Uchika) Connie realized she had practically pushed Ayano over the edge and is now trying to figure a way to make up for it since he unintentionally stole Ayano's mother away from her. But that's the problem: How do you make up with a person who's life you partially destroyed?

Connie asking for forgiveness by asking Ayano to acknowledge her as a sister probably wasn't the best move, but it was probably the only thing she could do. She can't take back what she said or did before so in the end it's up to Ayano to forgive her.

Now look at Ayano. This poor girl love both her mother and badminton dearly. To her, it was her life. She wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and perhaps surpass her mother's accomplishments.

Suddenly she has a one time failure, even though it was not her own doing, and she sees her mother literally walk out of her life. No letters, no phone calls, no communication of any kind, nothing. Ayano is suddenly abandoned and left on her own. She deals with it by continuing to play badminton because it's the only thing she has left and it's the only thing that keeps her going. She turns herself into a badminton monster in hopes of getting her mother's attention so that she returns to her.

Then one day Ayano discovers that her mother has taken in a new protege and her whole life shatters. Feeling ultimately betrayed, she abandons the sport she loved so much. She only returns because of her friend's insistence and here she discovers a new love for the sport. But then her mother's protege arrives and proudly announces she is Uchika's adopted daughter. This finally pushed Ayano over the edge and it scares everyone around her, including Connie.

Which leads us to now. Connie is at a complete loss with what to do with Ayano since she had played a role in destroying her "sister's" life. Chances were she knew that asking Ayano to think of her as a sister instead of an enemy wouldn't work, but she had to try anyway. Ayano's anger is completely justified. Your "replacement" suddenly shows up looking down on you and now she's asking you to be her sister? I'm honestly surprised Ayano didn't physically assault her. Anyone else would have in that situation. Now that her mother has finally returned after a decade Ayano will finally be able to vent all that pent anger towards her.

When I really think about it, this anime is kind of a cross between two Sylvester Stallone movies, Rocky IV and First Blood. Ayano is very much like John Rambo. To list examples:

1. Ayano was abandoned by her mother only because she "lost" one game.
Rambo was abandoned by his country simply because he served as a soldier.

2. Ayano continues to play badminton because it's all she has.
Rambo uses his army skills to survive because it's the only thing he's good at.

3. Ayano takes revenge against Kaoruko, the one who started it all because she wanted a "fair" match.
Rambo eventually takes down Sheriff Teasle, the one who started it all because he considered Rambo a nuisance.

Now when it comes to the hostility between Ayano and Connie, it's very much like the Rocky vs. Drago match.

1. Connie arrives and inadvertently sends Ayano over the edge when she announces she is her step-sister.
Drago kills Apollo Creed in the ring, forcing Rocky to come out of retirement and to take revenge for the murder of his friend.

2. In their first match, Connie shows how she considers herself a far superior player over Ayano only because they had the same teacher.
In the first round, Drago easily overpowers Rocky with his superior height, strength, and reach.

3. Ayano then strikes back with her monstrous side in their second match, completely turning the tide and scaring the hell out of Connie.
In the second round, Rocky manages to cut Drago, turning the tide of the fight and shattering Drago's confidence.

I imagine Ayano's conversation with her mother is going to be very much like the ending scene of First Blood with Rambo and his CO.
DirectorKAug 27, 2018 9:16 AM
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Aug 26, 2018 5:13 PM
May 2017
KanashiiSekai said:

Honestly I think this anime is bad character wise. First they introduce Hanesaki as a cute girl who wants to have friends etc then... Boom, she become a cold, and unlikable character. I get that she had a terrible past with her mom abandoning her (Karuoko) + she found out that her mom found a substitute, but I really don't think that's a reason to be mean with her teammate or like everyone she plays against. I can't comprehend that. But, Karuoko and Connie too are weird. They are first introduce as vilain like character but you don't think the same after their backstory and after they play Hanesaki. The Connie from several episode ago and the Connie from this ep are like twowo different person. I really think that's why people (or maybe just me idk) care more about the other like Connie than Hanesaki because she acts like a "vilain" now.

Next episode is gonna be very weird with her mom returning for no reason. I'm curious to see if they gonna find some BS reason as to why she left Hanesaki. But again, character aren't consistent in their behaviour in this anime.

IMO it is done pretty well, but yeah not exactly perfectly (I am not a big fan of the "crazy" faces).

Without first showing the nice Ayano, and being "crazy" the whole anime, it couldn't have been shown what exactly provoked her to be this way, she would just be that bullshit thing called yandere or something, but no, she is a quite normal girl, who is well, going through a difficult period of her life.
Yes, not being too nice to her opponents is part of her current (not so healthy) "win at all cost" mentality, and well what can one say, this is a tournament, not daycare.
And opposed to what everyone says I don't think she is particularly mean to her teammates. Yeah, she is in a disagreement with Elena about her playstyle (Ayano kind of has a point: "please Elena, you haven't held a racket in your life, don't tell me how to play") and in episode 8 she analyzes Nagisa's play in a cold but objective way.
Other than this we don't see her being especially mean to anyone, opposed to Nagisa who with her attitude for 3 whole months almost destroyed the club. Ayano's change of heart happened like a couple of weeks ago, and she's not really causing any harm.

Karuoko is well, overly competitive. Connie had a "redemption arc" after the match in episode 5, I guess that's why she's acting quite differently.

And if you ask me it is quite interesting seeing our hero playing the villain (they definately portray it better than in Overlord, which is an anime about exactly this idea).
imSOuniqueAug 26, 2018 5:19 PM
Aug 26, 2018 6:13 PM

Jan 2011
did ayano/Connie just turn into sasuke /naruto???

feel like this show has no idea what it wants it characters to be ,kept asking myself what the flying fuck was going on Connie is now considered the good one wanting to be family despite her being the one that turned ayano back into the cold hearted person she currently is and they're still trying to make her mom look like she isn't that bad.

well i hope Connie learned a good lesson today and ayano gives her mom a good one
Aug 26, 2018 6:51 PM

Sep 2015
I really need Ayano to give a good SLAP on her "mother" now. Just that. No need to talk, just a slap!
Aug 26, 2018 6:52 PM
Feb 2007
imSOunique said:
Some of the people here are like: Why won't Ayano just get over her "mommy issues" already??

Well, that's not how it works at all (I guess it does in some animes out there, but not in real life).

Most of us (luckily) don't have this kind of experience in real life, so it might not be that easy to understand. To put it simply: the person who should be the one who loves you the most, simply takes her shit and leaves.
Again, (luckily) I didn't experience this personally and I am no expert, but I know someone who did. In my opinion these "mommy issues" are (mostly) IMPOSSIBLE to solve (again not talking about anime world).
Actually usually the "solution" is this:

Never ever meeting again.

Anyway, I doubt the anime will end like this because Ayano deserves to be happy and I guess it doesn't hurt ending on a positive note. So I won't be too disappointed if they make up with her mom, who's having some stupid reason for all this.
Altogether I'm glad this kind of drama is present in the series, I probably would have lost interest a long time ago (I am not a sport anime fan).

As you can guess I am not a big fan of Connie, but I don't think she is evil.
Simply put she has absolutely no idea about the situation. She is kind of trying different methods of getting closer to her "sister", not knowing Ayano despises not just her, but even more so her own mother.
And she has a good reason to do so.
Imagine the aforementioned situation: Ayano's mother leaves her. Pretty bad, eh? But now as an addition, her mother "adopts" a new girl, who happens to be a talented badminton player, meaning Ayano wasn't good enough.
But here comes the best part. That f###ing brat comes here and rubs salt into her wounds.
"Want to be a family? You mean what we were before she left me for you??
EAT SHIT AND DIE."

Again, I don't think Connie is doing this with ill intent, she just happens to have no clue about what is going on.
Although it is not so difficult: if Ayano's mom is here with me constantly for X years, then she isn't with Ayano, and there is a good chance that Ayano is slightly bothered by this.
But well, she probably hasn't been thinking too hard about these things, since she was and is still young.

The real villain is Ayanos mother, who still seems to show no remorse, and no matter what happens I won't accept her.

The ending we deserve:

THIS. Everyone should read this! D:<

Let's see what Mama Hanesaki has to say in the next episode. I'm thinking maybe she's not Ayanon's real mom at all. :'D
Aug 26, 2018 7:01 PM

Dec 2015
Wow this is was a Great Episode and It Was a Fun Episode Too I'm Excited For The Next Episode
Aug 26, 2018 8:20 PM

Jan 2013
seriously, other than the part with her teammates, what dafuq happened between now and the last time Connie showed up for her to wanting to be family? a mini-flashback does not help since she still was kinda bitchy in her first outing and practically caused psycho Ayano.
like its cute that they had a hangout and Connie being a redeemable character can be done right but the character 180s (in Connie and maybe even Pinky''s case) without proper explanation are too much and way too sudden

also the mom can go eat rocks
dannymilkAug 26, 2018 8:24 PM
Aug 26, 2018 9:30 PM

May 2012
I want to know if Ayano is adopted like connie, or she is real biological daughter of her mother ? The eye color look different that her mother which makes me feel that Ayano is also adopted.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2018

209 by Destroyer31 »»
May 9, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

126 by Ronninn »»
Dec 10, 2022 10:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.