Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 5, 2017 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The hype that went through my body when Gintoki entered and told Kamui off! fcking best ep! upcoming one better have the best animation this series has! make it happen BNP!
Kouka still best mom this season.
NEP's gonna be a beast.
Gintoki finally said his best line in this arc! too.much.greatness.
-StrayMar 5, 2017 9:15 AM
Mar 5, 2017 9:03 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Now we get the flashback in Kamui’s perspective. Umibouzu and Kamui’s past relationship was adorable though. Lol at baby Kagura. So Kamui’s original goal to get stronger was because he wanted to protect his mom when Umibouzu wasn’t around. Also, younger Abuto! Still though, Kamui’s complaint makes very little sense. I mean, if Umibouzu didn’t make Kouka leave, Kamui would’ve never been born.

We get more of Kamui’s flashback of him getting stronger and how him and Abuto started working together. Kamui was a skilled brat though, haha. Also, Housen (hah). And we get to see how the conflict between Umibouzu and Kamui started and how Kamui cut off one of Umibouzu’s arm. And I guess Kagura is a burden for Kamui due to how similar she is to their mother.

Meanwhile we get more of Umibouzu vs. Utsuro and it’s really badass. Umibouzu’s finishing move on Utsuro was awesome! Utsuro went half titan there! Utsuro too OP, pls nerf. Poor Umibouzu lost his other arm and isn’t in very good condition. And Gintoki’s here to stop Kamui! Lol at Gintoki's failed headbutt. Gintoki vs. Kamui next episode.

Damn, 4 and a half chapters adapted this time (The rest of chapter 580, 581-584). Though, the last two chapters had less dialogue and the flashback isn't as dialogue heavy as the chapters adapted in the last episode. 4 and a chapters adapted worked quite well for this episode. Next episode should adapt 5 chapters since there's very little dialogue. 3 more episodes until this arc ends. Final arc should start on April 2nd.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerMar 5, 2017 9:35 AM
Mar 5, 2017 9:07 AM

Sep 2015
Kamui! someone pls give him hug

are Kamui into incest?
Into the Internet!
Mar 5, 2017 9:14 AM

Jul 2014
ZBlastHistory said:
Kamui! someone pls give him hug

are Kamui into incest?

Nah, just a mom con. Tho yes he loves Kagura to a degree as well, you'll see later on.
Mar 5, 2017 10:27 AM

Oct 2016
Ayy they cut off a bunch of lines. Pity, I really liked the dragon analogy they used in the manga.

Well, on the upside, the various faces of baby Kagura are adorable. So I got that going for me.

Germs_N_SpicesMar 5, 2017 10:35 AM
Mar 5, 2017 10:35 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Germs_N_Spices said:
Pity, I really liked the dragon analogy they used in the manga.
Yeah, the analogy it good, but it wouldn't have worked well in the anime. It happened at the beginning of the chapter and if you look at it, the end of the previous chapter and the beginning of the next chapter doesn't flow too well. It's not noticeable when you read the manga weekly, but when put all together, it doesn't work so well. If the next episode started with Chapter 583, then the dragon analogy would've worked. Idk if I was able to explain my points properly.
Mar 5, 2017 11:05 AM

Feb 2012
Ma duds I finally managed to get a good stream for the original airing, its raw but fuck it I read the manga anyways.

Good episode, and I was surprised to find out there will be more after one cour of 12 episodes. Wonder how will they handle it.
Mar 5, 2017 12:25 PM
Mar 2017
So theres gonna be another arc after this one? Thank god i dont want this to end
Mar 5, 2017 12:28 PM

May 2016
Although it was expected, I'm glad that Kamui actually has a heart in there. Hang in there Kamui ;;
Mar 5, 2017 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
Another amazing episode!We finally saw the scene where Umibozou lost his hand by Kamui and the whole reason behind their conflict.Loved how Abuto and Housen were shown in the flashback as well.Gotta feel rally bad for Kagura.She went through all this in the past now she's taking a beating from her brother;after that she finds her father getting slayed by Utsuro and then see her other "parent" fighting with her brother.Gintoki appeared like a boss;well excluding the moment he headbutted Umibozou lol.I cannot wait to see how their fight will go.
Mar 5, 2017 12:37 PM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode, Intense and really emotional at the end.

Baby Kagura face kicking Umibozu was hilarious. XD

The Kamui flashback was really nice, interesting to see how his perspective of 'Strength' was formed and deluded. Can't blame him though, he just couldn't find an explanation to the word he could accept. It was pretty cool to see training with Hosen, that brings back memories from the Yoshiwara arc.

Utsuro vs Umibozu was freaking epic, that heart crushing move was simply awesome on some many levels. I had chills, hype and literally every form of excitement running through me at that point. Sadly, Utsuro is just OP as hell and regenerated into something like a half titan? I guess it's as he states and doesn't have enough Altana to do a full regeneration. Still, I just couldn't watch Umibozu being taken down with a straight face. :(
Unmibozu's line after his defeat "I lost my left arm casting aside my family, but I lost my right one protecting it. It was a surprisingly good job, for me." was just so emotional, Couldn't help but tear up. T.T

For a second there, I thought Kamui was gonna end up killing his dad when he was already in that state. Gintoki's arrival had me cheering so loud, that was an epic as hell entrance. XD

Nice to see some Yorozuya reminisces, that stuff always gets me emotional. :3
Gintoki is officially the strongest man in the universe, Leave it to Gin to get himself the glory. XDD I love how Gintoki intimidated Kamui by telling him how worthless his pursuit of ' The Strongest' was.

Gintoki vs Kamui next, this gonna be epic. :D

Also cheers to Gintama getting more than 1 cour. :D
Mar 5, 2017 1:07 PM

Dec 2015
Kamui is a big fucking idiot.

Next episode is gonna be simply EPIC.
joe_g7Mar 7, 2017 8:28 AM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 5, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2015
Man, the feels are back watching their flashback again.
"I lost my left arm casting aside my family, but I lost my right one protecting it. It was a surprisingly good job, for me." So deep. You can always count on Gorilla-sensei for the best lines in any situation. How does he even come up with these?

Wow the new strongest man in the universe looked pathetic lol. Gintoki vs Kamui next episode. \0/
Mar 5, 2017 1:30 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
MrMik1995 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Yeah, the analogy it good, but it wouldn't have worked well in the anime. It happened at the beginning of the chapter and if you look at it, the end of the previous chapter and the beginning of the next chapter doesn't flow too well. It's not noticeable when you read the manga weekly, but when put all together, it doesn't work so well. If the next episode started with Chapter 583, then the dragon analogy would've worked. Idk if I was able to explain my points properly.

The analogy would have actually worked perfectly,it was Abuto's monologue,that monologue intensified the fight and showed us on which level it was going while also showing what a beast Utsuro is,also the fact that Abuto wouldn't have been reduced to a guy who only screams "Commander" and "Umibozu" most of times but it looks like they really are in an hurry to wrap up this arc under a episode limit.

Oh well looking forward to next episode.
But here's the thing, the monologue happens while Umibouzu is pulling out Utsuro's heart. If that happens it the manga, it would dilute the intensity you get when things are silent. The manga showed the scene twice, so they were able to first show the sudden move from Umibouzu, then in the next chapter, they repeated that moment with the monologue. The only way the anime could adapt that is this: Umibouzu pulls out heart, commercial break, after break, they'll repeat the scene with the monologue.
Mar 5, 2017 1:47 PM

Jul 2015
The biggest challenge for someone who's achieved heights so hard to reach is themselves. I can see, or actually I can't totally see, how amazing Sorachi actually is, when I witness extremely awesome characters, each character trampling all over the previous one slightly weaker than him characterization-wise, but the scale keeps elevating to a degree where you stop imagining how something even better could ever show up, but you appear to be mistaken and it does. That's how awesome Gintoki is. And that's how Sorachi keeps outdoing himself.

I hear that somethings are even more solid in the manga, keeping in mind that this was a masterpiece episode by all meaning from my standing point. All what I've left to question is who the fuck Sorachi is?!
Mar 5, 2017 2:12 PM

Sep 2014
Damn these Yato centered episodes have been great! They really do have a wonderful family, but man are the relationships all kinds of messed up.

Always love it when Gintoki shows up.

Great episode. It was intense and emotional :)
Mar 5, 2017 2:14 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
MrMik1995 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
But here's the thing, the monologue happens while Umibouzu is pulling out Utsuro's heart. If that happens it the manga, it would dilute the intensity you get when things are silent. The manga showed the scene twice, so they were able to first show the sudden move from Umibouzu, then in the next chapter, they repeated that moment with the monologue. The only way the anime could adapt that is this: Umibouzu pulls out heart, commercial break, after break, they'll repeat the scene with the monologue.

Do the scene just once with monologue,that's it and I was also talking about the monologue Abuto had right when we got back to this fight.All of that was cut down to "I can't budge an inch".
Oh yeah, that monologue happened throughout the fight when I look at it now. I guess they cut it out for the sole purpose of saving time (and some dialogues between Kamui and Kouka in the flashback). It would have been nice if they kept the first half of the monologue, but I'm happy that the second half was cut out (with the dragon images), since it's too lengthy and it ruins the pace of the fight in anime format. But yeah, they should've had at least the first half of the monologue in the anime since Abuto basically became a Shinpachi character.
Mar 5, 2017 3:25 PM
Apr 2015
Ramkec said:
Ma duds I finally managed to get a good stream for the original airing, its raw but fuck it I read the manga anyways.

can u share the source?

edit1 well, i could search for it too later... i suppose
Mar 5, 2017 3:34 PM

Feb 2013
Epic fight!
Umibozu destroyed Utsuro's body but he regenerated and created another body from the arm he cut off earlier in the fight.
I suppose that Utsuro's next death will be his last one.
Gintoki and that headbutt was epic too.
Mar 5, 2017 3:40 PM

Nov 2014
One of the best episodes so far. The flashback was so well done, and the chill when Gin jumped in.
Hi there
Mar 5, 2017 4:18 PM

Dec 2013
Loved this episode. Epic fight was epic but I like Utsuro's return more in the manga. It felt more menacing.

Flashback was well done. Kamui is a massive mama's boy lol

Gintoki needs to learn more about head butting from Katsura.
Mar 5, 2017 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
THE BACKSTORY OF THE YATO MONSTER FAMILY IS TOO DAMN EMOTIONAL! Such a wonderful family it pains me to see how broken they are now, and wow Kagura had it rough! she's one tough kid for bearing all that! and still wanting to fix their issues until now, makes me love her even more!

So many great moments!

BABY KAGURA is so cute!
HERE!

Can't help but love Umi in this ARC!
Utsuro vs Umi was really epic! just wish they would have animated this better, the manga has a much impact on me
Fairly equal fight to be honest, Umi could have won but too bad Utsuro's immortal and can regenerate. this guy is OP! but I also wouldn't call it a lost for him. Umi still depleted Utsuro's altana and was able to let him experience death.

Also Really appreciated Abuto in this ep! How he defended little Kamui to Hosen and Umi to Utsuro and Kamui! This dude needs more love! haha!

This episode also has so many great quotes! DAMN IT SORACHI!

This arc has all the fights I've anticipated!
From UMI vs KAMUI! to KAMUI vs KAGURA! to UMI vs UTSURO!
THEN NEXT WEEK! Dadtoki GIN vs KAMUI! SO HYPED!
QueenSapphireMar 8, 2017 6:43 PM
Mar 5, 2017 5:47 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode.
Loved the Umibozu flashback. Kagura is so adorable.

DAMN Utsuro is a Monster.
Gin vs Kamui. Hell Yes.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 5, 2017 7:42 PM

Jul 2014
Well, I can certainly see where Kamui's coming from. Being exposed to such a burden may have proved too much for him.
Also....... I can't be the only one who wants Kamui to kick Gintoki's ass right? xD
I hope they make this fight legit (Haven't read the manga) cuz the way i see it, Kamui can downright kill Gintoki.
Mar 5, 2017 8:04 PM

Jan 2015
I kind of didn't like the headbutting scene between Gin and Umi...seemed out of place for a comedy scene..also kind of confirmed that he won't die.

The scene was nice for the set up of the fight though, I guess

Still 5/5

When Utsuro appeared behind Umi, I got chills.

Oh and Kagura is so damn adorable
Mar 5, 2017 8:15 PM
Jan 2016
Just_Away said:

Yes remember when gin-san cut off yoshida shoyou's (A.K.A utsuro) head and utsuro re transform his body again
ame17Mar 5, 2017 8:39 PM
Mar 5, 2017 9:22 PM

Jan 2015
Housen was so unexpected, hype!
Mar 5, 2017 10:04 PM

May 2015
Just_Away said:
I kind of didn't like the headbutting scene between Gin and Umi...seemed out of place for a comedy scene..also kind of confirmed that he won't die.

Still 5/5

I don't know why you're surprised, Gintama does wacky comedy in serious moments all the time. Plus, it appeared as if the headbutt did no damage at all.

Mar 6, 2017 12:35 AM

Jan 2016
FKN HELL BEST EPISODE OF THE SEASON!
Mar 6, 2017 3:15 AM

Jun 2013
Wasnt abuto missing an arm? Did I forget him getting it back or something
Mar 6, 2017 3:28 AM

Oct 2016
lucidbrandon said:

He got his arm broken and replaced twice already and you still didn't realize its a prosthetic?
Mar 6, 2017 3:30 AM

Jun 2013
fucking amazing!
Mar 6, 2017 7:13 AM

Dec 2014
Oh my God I thought Kamui had his reasons before now he is just hating the father...Damn that Mama's Boy
Mar 6, 2017 8:04 AM

Feb 2014
It still weirds me out how much the Harusame flag looks like the Korean flag from afar...
Mar 6, 2017 8:13 AM

Nov 2012
Why couldn't the green crystal save Kagura and Kamui's mom?
Mar 6, 2017 8:37 AM

Jul 2014
this episode is so goddamn epic, Utsuro is too op for anyone right now....and of course Gintoki came to cut off the fight is so badass..!!
i hope i still can see Kouka for next episode, man i still want to see her although she only appeared in flashback :((
Mar 6, 2017 8:46 AM

Aug 2015
Great episode! Loved the Chinese Yato family backstory. I just hope the Yorozuya+Abuto vs Kamui will be well animated because that's the best part of the arc, get your shit together BNP.
Mar 6, 2017 8:57 AM

Dec 2016
FUCK YEAH! Gintoki vs. Baka Aniki HYPEEE
Mar 6, 2017 11:49 AM

Apr 2009
So even Kamui can't break Gintoki's sword
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2017 12:43 PM

Sep 2014
So, why can't Utsuro just go to another planet and wait there till his Altana dries up? Or better yet, let Umibouzou kill him, since Umibouzu found a way to do that? For a character who wants to kill himself, his actions don't make much sense.
Mar 6, 2017 1:38 PM

Jan 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Just_Away said:

Still 5/5

I don't know why you're surprised, Gintama does wacky comedy in serious moments all the time. Plus, it appeared as if the headbutt did no damage at all.

Yeah, but not always as out of place like that one...if they didn't have Shinpachi do his straight man act reaction at the very least, it would have been better. As a viewer we are not sure if he is going to die, so do a comedic act at that very critical moment was a bad choice imo. And if he does die, it'll seem weird especially after that scene.

I don't know, it just seemed really out of place even for Gintama
Mar 6, 2017 2:29 PM

Feb 2008
Utsuro regenerated from his bloody arm? That must have destroyed the opponents' morale. At least he will probably have some time to regenerate in peace...

Kamui's past was also interesting to delve into, as it did highlight why he is a truly stupid older brother. He should have respected his mother's wish.
Mar 6, 2017 2:32 PM

Jun 2013
Germs_N_Spices said:
lucidbrandon said:

He got his arm broken and replaced twice already and you still didn't realize its a prosthetic?

he lost that again last season irrc but yeah whatevs
Mar 6, 2017 5:09 PM

May 2014
Just when I had given up on the idea of Gin vs. Kamui too!
Seriously, this has been a long time coming- it's been foreshadowed since Yoshiwara so I'm happy af.

U-um, I also hope Umibozu is okay...the dude has no arms tho I'm sure he can get two mechanical ones.

Also the stuff with Utsuro was really creepy- that's some mad regeneration. There are so many different versions of him because his severed body parts literally grow a new person. Ew. How the hell are they gonna get rid of him?!

Anyways, Gintoki vs. Kamui incoming- pretty hyped for next week!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 6, 2017 6:12 PM

Feb 2016
Loved Dad Gintoki

Soo if Utsuro said hes out of Altana does that mean hes now killable?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 6, 2017 6:43 PM

Aug 2010
Best episode so far. Finally we find out everything about Kamui and his perspective of things.

Loved Gintoki's entrance this episode. Looking forward to the long awaited fight between Gintoki & Kamui.
Mar 7, 2017 12:55 AM
Mar 2016
So is this season's gintama going to be 20-ish episodes?
Mar 7, 2017 12:57 AM

Aug 2014
Vallhallla said:
So is this season's gintama going to be 20-ish episodes?
It's going to be 13 episodes.
Mar 7, 2017 1:59 AM

Jul 2016
SuperRed said:

That crystal is a piece of condensed Altana from his home planet.
That would have give her more time but the only way to completely save her was going back to his homeplanet.

Umibozou was trying to keep collecting that kind of crystals but that wasn't the solution

Kamui's plan was to take her to his homeplanet. But he didn't realize that he couldn't live with her, Umibozo being the strongest Yato only could survive 3 or so days in that harsh environment. Imagine a kid living there. The other option was to leave her alone in that planet without his family, she would almost be like a prison inmate or hospital patient for his whole life.

But she wanted to be with his family for all the time she could. And that's what killed her. The thing that killed an immortal was the love for his family.
Mar 7, 2017 3:10 AM

Jul 2015
SilverDio said:
SuperRed said:

That crystal is a piece of condensed Altana from his home planet.
That would have give her more time but the only way to completely save her was going back to his homeplanet.

Umibozou was trying to keep collecting that kind of crystals but that wasn't the solution

Kamui's plan was to take her to his homeplanet. But he didn't realize that he couldn't live with her, Umibozo being the strongest Yato only could survive 3 or so days in that harsh environment. Imagine a kid living there. The other option was to leave her alone in that planet without his family, she would almost be like a prison inmate or hospital patient for his whole life.

But she wanted to be with his family for all the time she could. And that's what killed her. The thing that killed an immortal was the love for his family.

That being said, let's not forget how devastating immortality can be. I think after evaluating their whole picture that it was totally the best for her to love as normal people, get married, have children, love and be loved by them, and die like others. What would the situation have been had she returned to her homeplanet and watched her family pass away before her? It'd have been unimaginably horrible, thus, Umibozu did the right thing to have loved and taken Kouka.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 26, 2017

188 by wibugar »»
May 9, 2:43 PM

» Anyone could explain ep 12 i couldnt able to understand whats happening?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 15

6 by seelenfresser51 »»
Feb 17, 2:10 PM

» Katsura loves ikumatsu ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Feb 16

4 by Tsuna10vongola »»
Feb 16, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Jan 22, 2017

109 by otakuweek »»
Jan 11, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Gintama. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Mar 19, 2017

67 by Alex_TheForest »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.