Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 2, 2016 10:28 AM

Aug 2015
A policewoman sent to investigate the troubles at Cheddar Village, her squad is killed and she is nearly raped and killed by the mad vampire priest inhabiting the dead village, but is "saved" when Alucard sends a bullet through her to kill the priest. On the verge of death, she allows Alucard to turn her into a vampire, and joins Hellsing as Alucard's minion.

She is reluctant to embrace her new powers at first, but gradually comes to terms with what she is, and eventually discovers her true powers after a certain event.

g
ElfezenJun 8, 2022 4:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2016 10:35 AM
Aug 2016
Because long anime are more prone to mistakes than the short ones.
Oct 2, 2016 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
Let's make a simple theory you have a budget let's say of 10 000 (random number)

If you spend the same amount of many on a 100 ep long series and a 24 ep series the latter is going to have higher animation quality and such

On a side note, Isn't one piece the best selling manga/anime franchise of all times? I heard it is
Oct 2, 2016 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
They don't have shit ton of fillers.
Oct 2, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2016
Why are shorter animes usually better(except they fuckn aren't)?
Oct 2, 2016 10:42 AM

Aug 2014
jjba is a long anime though? The different arcs just span different timelines, allowing to rebuild hype, because the author has the possibility to start a story in the beginning again. Either way jojo isn't all that good until part 6~7 IMO

It's just because long-ass anime stretch a story and all the smaller arcs never matter. Whereas smaller stories can condense all of that and deliver meaningfull arcs. It's not that that complicated

But in the end it comes down to what you enjoy. I mean, I see someone tweet enthusiastically about one piece on a weekly basis (although it's the manga, idk if you think the same goes for manga).

And I mean, DBZ and JJBA are just "power/battle of the week"-ish things, so all there is is hype and no actual meaningful story (apart from diamond is not crash, but diamond is not crash has a terrible tendency of being boring. The only good parts are when Kira is there tbh)
Oct 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Jul 2014
Long anime is more prone to filler, hiatus, plot holes, etc.
Oct 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Jul 2009
Well attention span does play a big role in this issue
Oct 2, 2016 10:48 AM
Jul 2016
It's for the same reason we get tired of Western fictional shows after the first few seasons: they run out of decent material but won't stop milking the dead cow. It takes a REALLY good set of writers to make something that keeps its steam for a long time, rather than simply riding on the work's past success.

This is especially true of series that use an intriguing/innovative idea as their main hook. After a while, the idea stops being new and exciting.

Possible other contributors:

It tends to be easier to write when you know exactly where and how the story is going to end, rather than having to say "Okay, this is what we have planned for the first season. We'll figure the rest out as we go."

Pressure to appease all of the existing fans, cutting down on freedom with the script.

Studio brass getting their hands on a series after it takes off.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 2, 2016 10:50 AM

Feb 2013
39 episodes is the realllll sweet spot
Oct 2, 2016 10:51 AM

Oct 2014
I would personally argue that 50 episode anime, which I guess are mid-length if 200 episodes is what we're calling "long", are the best kind of anime since they have enough time to properly tell their story but don't have to clog themselves up with filler (sometimes this will still happen, though). The reason why those super-long battle shounen anime are bad is because of what they are. Space Brothers, LoGH, and Major are all long anime that are known for being good because they're written well. They're not battle shounen with a lot of filler.
Oct 2, 2016 3:08 PM

May 2015
DBZ has content, what?

Shorter anime are better because they actually end. They're more focused, have less time to waste and so don't need to just pass the time. It's hard to drag a story. Often, the more content we pile up the more the story splits into different paths. Good storytellers tend to have smaller arcs that connect instead of one gigantic thing that builds and builds until it crumbles.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 2, 2016 3:12 PM

Apr 2014
Because Trigger's Inferno Cop couldn't save anime alone, so they passed on the torch to other short anime like Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls -- Inferno Cop's spiritual successor.
Oct 2, 2016 3:58 PM

Apr 2014
They aren't, have you seen the top of the MAL ranking list?
Oct 2, 2016 4:26 PM

Jan 2014
short is better? long is better? no they both have their bad sides i would say. the short ones tends to miss a couple of important scenes in the anime. long ones tends to prop fillers in it as if it would work like one piece (yes their fillers actually works as important pieces)

well guys only few can manage to create an anime with the right amounts of episodes. be honest, you dont wanna get useless informations in a whole episode but you dont wanna miss out lots of important shit.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Oct 3, 2016 3:45 AM

Dec 2012
Better planned out because they only aiming for a few seasons and less time to stagnate and make mistakes that kill longer series. Plus even when shorter series suck you at least wasted less of your life on watching them.
KruszerOct 3, 2016 3:54 AM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 3, 2016 6:01 AM

Aug 2013
They are literally not. Where did you get that? How are they better?? Bullshit11!1!!!!
Oct 3, 2016 6:55 AM

Apr 2014
without becoming boring and filled with unnecessary fanservice and fillers

12% of Dragonball Z is filler and 14% of Dragonball is filler.

Also, because Goku slapping bulmas vagina isn't unnecessary fanservice, bulma showing her vagina to master roshi isn't unnecessary fanservice, master roshi in a whole, while funny, isn't an unnecessary fanservice character. Sure man. Not to mention Dragonball/z was boring 50% of the time.

This happens almost all the time, the animes that have short seasons up to 24 episodes always deliver more excitement/feelings,better story and overall hype that the long ongoing animes fail to bring. The biggest example is One Punch Man, the first season was just 12 episodes yet the epicness and hype they brought to the world are more than anything we have seen before

I mean, look at Absolute duo, it's so much better than one piece and it's only 12 episodes long! No wait, there is also Mayoiga, so much better than one piece or any long shounen, even hundred, better than that hunter x hunter crap.

Also, judging by your favorites, you are obviously trolling. /bait thread
Oct 3, 2016 9:55 AM

Apr 2016
Short anime is only good if its an OVA. Otherwise 900 episode long anime are the best kind.
Got oppai?
Oct 3, 2016 9:59 AM

Jan 2014
You're right Bananya was a masterpiece even though it was short.
It's better than long-running series like Jojo's Homosexual Adventures or Shotas x Shotas.
Oct 3, 2016 10:10 AM

Jun 2016
....They're not. Just look at the top rated anime. FMA Brotherhood, Gintama, Monster, Hunter x Hunter, Clannad, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, etc. They're all over 24 episodes

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Oct 3, 2016 10:11 AM

Feb 2016
Animes wiv under 50 are the best imo the only exceptions for me were bleach naruto and dragon ball, anime such as fairy tail, one peace and hxh i cba to watch especially since imo they aren't anything special, they get to the point where it should stop yet carry on and on, also they are never 10/10 shows for me max 8.5 for overall enjoyment because to me i rather watch a bunch of great short animes then 300+ episodes of 1 anime and my ratings for short anime are much higher.
This is my opinion so fuk off.

Oct 3, 2016 10:12 AM

Feb 2010
They are not. They are usually unfinished, unsatisfying and, if they're really good, just leave you craving for more without delivering more. Exceptions exist but on average, because the source material is usually much longer, they will end when things are just getting started and not get a sequel unless they're lucky.

50-100 episodes, or even 50-200 episodes are the ideal length for a lot of anime genres.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 3, 2016 10:16 AM

Feb 2016
Gintama is laughing so hard at your post
Oct 3, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2015
Zaltherion said:
This happens almost all the time, the animes that have short seasons up to 24 episodes always deliver more excitement/feelings,better story and overall hype that the long ongoing animes fail to bring. The biggest example is One Punch Man, the first season was just 12 episodes yet the epicness and hype they brought to the world are more than anything we have seen before, it beats any 600+ episodes mainstream anime, yes i am looking at you Monkey D Luffy.

An anime with 12 episodes is (usually) going to have better animation than one with 400+, because it's shorter and less costly. And it's certainly going to have better pacing than an anime adaption of an ongoing anime with 400+ episodes. Most of the time, at least. And I would surely argue that One Piece, sans filler/pacing is far more consistently good than One Punch Man, Kill la Kill, Your Lie In April..etc, anyway.

Another big example is JoJo's Bizzare Adventure and a lot more.

I would argue JoJo's adapation is excellent actually, alot shorter than long runners because it's allocated into 8 different parts with a really passionate studio behind it, I think most would agree with me here too.

Edit: By the way, you read the wrong JoJo and you only watched one part (the part near unanimously considered the worst, the first).

This is the first JoJo part
https://myanimelist.net/manga/1517/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_Part_1__Phantom_Blood

Not this
https://myanimelist.net/manga/57051/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken

It's split into 8 different parts. Very hard to judge on less than 5% of the series.

Probably Dragon Ball is the only large mainstream anime that delivers both a lot of content and at the same time a lot of epicness without becoming boring and filled with unnecessary fanservice and fillers like Naruto, Fairy Tail and One Piece. I understand that some animes have to stay long and neverending on purpose to sustain the anime industry but the cost is that their quality drops.

Ah yes Dragon Ball, instead of being filled with unnecessary filler, it just drags out actual canon. Not much better.

and neverending on purpose to sustain the anime industry but the cost is that their quality drops

Neverending anime like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, those didn't end 20 years ago...

If you are a long runner and you drag on too long you suck, and it sure sucks to suck. But good long runners are usually far more satisfactory in the end.
ashfrliebertOct 3, 2016 10:58 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Oct 3, 2016 10:20 AM
Sep 2007
There are some short stuff that I like, but in general, I will never be connected with characters that I saw in few episodes, compared to some from series that I followed for years.
Oct 3, 2016 10:31 AM
Jun 2016
When an anime is bigger, they have to usually wait for the manga to catch up, or they want to add more to the story, creating fillers. But when it comes to 12-24 episode anime they can fill the episodes with the main plot points instead of fillers or extra content.
Oct 3, 2016 10:34 AM

May 2014
I actually disagree with that idea...I just think it's that a lot of people automatically associate "long anime" with ridiculously long running shounen anime like Naruto, One Piece and Bleach and more often than not, those types of serious get bashed for pacing and filler issues.

For me at least, some of the better anime out there are the relatively long ones spanning more than 2 cours- FMAB, JoJo, Monster, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Gintama...all really great and some of my all time favorites with none of them being shorter series...although I guess that depends on what you classify as short!

I just feel that it takes one hell of a writer to tell a full story with fleshed out characters and plot and tie it up in a neat little ribbon in 12-24 episodes. A lot of the time, there are questions left unanswered or you're left with an unfinished or unsatisfying end. Maybe you'll be lucky if the series has more source material to follow. I guess I just prefer something to follow over long periods of time ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2016 10:37 AM
Sep 2015
Long running animes like One Piece (I know, I didn't watch it) have 1 week for an episode. Producers can complete whole short series before airing because they can start 2-3 months before airing.Also a short anime's 12-13 episode budget is more than 12-13 episode budget of a long anime.
And I reccomend you to look at top animes once again.
Oct 3, 2016 10:46 AM

May 2015
Once upon a time, a very long long time. The One Piece anime pacing was GOOD, those were the days.

edit: And by a long time ago, I mean a decade actually. Water 7, the last good One Piece anime arc. Sad days.

Your favorites list includes

Naruto - Shippuden
One Piece
Bleach
Fairy Tail

Mixed messages man..
ashfrliebertOct 3, 2016 11:00 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Oct 3, 2016 1:17 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Always the noobs with the freaking bs threads, man. At most 28 times is not "all the time" or "always".

Zaltherion said:
The biggest example is One Punch Man, the first season was just 12 episodes yet the epicness and hype they brought to the world are more than anything we have seen before, it beats any 600+ episodes mainstream anime, yes i am looking at you Monkey D Luffy.

No, it does NOT. Not even close. No way OPM beats the entire arcs of build up and foreshadowing One Piece can afford.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Oct 3, 2016 3:40 PM

Sep 2016
I think that most people just do not want to put a lot of time into one singe series, they want to finish it and move on to the next show. Impatience is also a factor. And most new anime fans are scared of the length and watch something shorter instead. Not that I can blame them, though.

But I do no think that shorter anime are better than long runners. I love long series and think that it's a shame that there aren't as many long runners as back in the day.
Oct 3, 2016 4:00 PM

Oct 2013
Tighter pacing, less time to screw things up. Longer anime usually have one point or another that people consider weaker than the rest and keeping up consistent quality can be very difficult for the author.
Oct 3, 2016 4:05 PM
Nov 2013
They aren't.

Because shorts are straight to the point and succinct, they don't need as much character development, which also means they don't really need that complicated of a plot. Which means there are a lot less times to mess up.
Oct 3, 2016 4:09 PM

Sep 2009
Because anime don't actually make money; getting people to buy $$$ does. So you can consider a short anime as a single, high-impact advertising project (like a super-bowl ad), while longer animes are like the same crappy advertisements you see all the time.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 3, 2016 4:09 PM

May 2015
They aren't. Best length is 39 episodes like @romagia said.

>one punch man was hyper then anything else before

no it wasn't.

>jojo's bizarre adventures

Has more then a 100 episodes and shows no signs of stopping.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Oct 3, 2016 4:12 PM

Feb 2010
ya its a trend however there are meny 24 ep animes that are good. but a lot more 13 ep anime are good then never get to continue sadly meny long long runners are pretty bad *cough*Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu*cough* *takes cover*
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 3, 2016 4:13 PM

Nov 2008
Phendrus said:
It's for the same reason we get tired of Western fictional shows after the first few seasons: they run out of decent material but won't stop milking the dead cow. It takes a REALLY good set of writers to make something that keeps its steam for a long time, rather than simply riding on the work's past success.

This is especially true of series that use an intriguing/innovative idea as their main hook. After a while, the idea stops being new and exciting.
This is why I can seldom watch TV shows anymore and have moved a lot more to movies. They just keep going and going, etc. I stop caring.

Oct 3, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2016
Well, some one-cour or two-cour season anime can be, well I can say, short but sweet but not all can do that. Some turns out to be lacking in character development and the pacing tends to be awful that you can't understand what was going on (in case of one-cour), and some even drags the story with nothing going on the plot (in case of two-cour), but it all depends on how many arcs will be shown (in case of other genres except SoL).
SkyWing0Oct 3, 2016 4:32 PM
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 3, 2016 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
Because short series are able in just a few episodes are able to adapt a series at a( for the most part) good pace. While long running ones are filled with fillers and progress rather slow making it boring to watch for most people.
Oct 3, 2016 4:41 PM

May 2015
I'm so confused after looking at your favourites, OP. As said above though, longer anime will obviously be more prone to filler and plot holes (even if they're usually very minor). Everybody has there own opinion but I personally prefer long running anime as I get more attracted to the characters of them.
Oct 3, 2016 4:48 PM

May 2009
I don't like them all that much. I find them to be rushed and fast paced because of the episode count.
Oct 3, 2016 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
I scoff at this low grade bait, your favorites betray you OP.
Oct 3, 2016 4:57 PM

Sep 2016
Because they stay true to the plot and do not have any fillers... Ahem >.>

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2016 5:07 PM

Apr 2016
Longer running anime are mostly shounen, so you can't exactly expect a masterpiece when it wasn't meant to be that way. There's some good long anime. Gintama, Hajime no ippo, Monster, HxH, space brothers. You're pretty much basing it on cheesy long running shounens like naruto or fairy tail. Just look at sword art online, the ep count is in the 20 ep range, did that deliver?. Depends on the anime, not the ep count.
Oct 4, 2016 6:41 AM

Oct 2016
Shorter animes have their benefits and flaws. It's great for simpler stories or slice of life. There are less episodes so it's less grueling to sit through. Also you won't get sick of them as easily. Shorter episode counts can lead to more seasons/arcs sometimes. I like Kyoto Animation's shorter anime series, the structure is very suitable for less episodes!
However, shorter anime can sometimes leave you unsatisfied and wanting more. Sometimes less episodes backfires, and the ending suggests that there is more story, or it ends at a sudden or unsatisfying place. Sometimes it's meant to get a second season but the show didn't do well so it gets cancelled, which really sucks. That's just my opinion on this. I tend to lean towards shorter anime, because I'm scared I will run out of bandwidth in my house (the longest series i've watched is 75 episodes)
Oct 4, 2016 2:01 PM

Oct 2015
Because they run out of ideas with series that run hundreds of episodes so the episode get bad, often times they will half to wait for the Manga to catch back up to the show so they just put a bunch of filler in the show.

Most shows of my favorite animes have 24-26 episodes 12 episodes can be good to like One Punch Man, Often times I've seen animes that have 12 episode and it felt like they rushed things as it felt like the show should have been 24-26 episodes. Mayaogia comes to mind.

There are shows over 24-26 episode that are good like Both FullMetal Alchemist shows Hunter x Hunter (2011) and Monster but most long shows aren't good enough to want to watch hundreds of episodes of them. Those shows I just mentioned aren't even long compared to a lot of long running shows.
Oct 4, 2016 2:10 PM

Sep 2016
Better is subjective, and I prefer longer anime in general. There might be a short series (less than 30 episodes) I enjoyed so much, I think is the best anime I've watched, and then a month later I've forgotten what was so great about it.
With long anime, you can get emotionally attached over long periods of time, and that counts for something. Short anime rarely leave as strong of an impression on me. Even if the writing is better, less filler, less dragging on, if I can move on quickly, then the series isn't that amazing.
For me, impact & content > writing & execution.
...better to be hated for what you are than loved for something you are not.
Oct 4, 2016 2:22 PM

Jul 2014
short animes usually get straight to the point...i guess??
Oct 4, 2016 2:28 PM

Jan 2014
RE1031 said:
Better is subjective, and I prefer longer anime in general. There might be a short series (less than 30 episodes) I enjoyed so much, I think is the best anime I've watched, and then a month later I've forgotten what was so great about it.
With long anime, you can get emotionally attached over long periods of time, and that counts for something. Short anime rarely leave as strong of an impression on me. Even if the writing is better, less filler, less dragging on, if I can move on quickly, then the series isn't that amazing.
For me, impact & content > writing & execution.

i couldnt describe the reason any better than this xD but its def what i was thinking when i watched naruto today. all those feels are something that has been build up inside of me for many years and no short shit like angel beats can ever beat that
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Jun 6

45 by Mayahuel »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

79 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these shonen is the best in your opinion?

Yaaceen - 14 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

55 by I_shoot_kids_fr »»
12 minutes ago

» Are Anime "Controversy" just ragebait?

Dragevard - Jun 2

28 by Mayahuel »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.