Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2007 5:20 PM

Oct 2006
Keep it going. That's all I can say.

That move by the shaman, making it look like the Prince had indeed died this time, will mean no more chasing around for the moment. And prolly also means no action for a while I guess. Which isn't bad. Apparently the next episode will feature some development around Chagum (for the record that hair cut looks better ^^. Though I know long hair was a sign of status in the old tradition.) Looking foward to it.
May 14, 2007 7:46 PM

Apr 2007
Just saw and it and I thought I was really good. I still can't wait for the next episode 3 though ;P
May 15, 2007 5:30 AM

Oct 2006
I didn't realize there would be another episode 3... I always figured the next one would be 7 =P

I'm definitely enjoying this one, though I think some of the shaman's talks could use a little more explaining. I get kinda lost with the terminology still.
May 15, 2007 9:41 PM

Apr 2007
gave those hunters a runaround and then ends up at the capital again,pretty smart lol
May 16, 2007 5:27 AM

Mar 2007
This was just genius man to set it up like that and then get back where it all started and everyone thinks he died, but he is actually home lol xD

Also i find it a bit harsh and sad for Tanda he doing his best and taught something bad happend too Balsa, but non the less awesome episode :D
Jun 5, 2008 8:40 AM

Oct 2007
good episode and cool what they did with that wolf i actually toght he gonna try eat them! lol
Jul 5, 2008 5:16 PM

Feb 2008
Those giant wolves, they sure are handy, and whaddya know, they did make some use out of his old hair after all, lol. There was more development with Tanda this episode, brilliant consider he only appeared very briefly in this episode. I like how his rant to the search party is not just a ploy. He really does like her and wants her to see him as more of a healer, but he knows she has to recover from her past (her "wounds") first and he has to help her, or at least that was my assumption. He says he's like a wife waiting for the warrior to come home, that's what I was thinking too, lol. I never figured her love interest would be a medicine seller, that's interesting. That was kinda goofy when the pro hunters need to know where she is and are like, "let's meditate!" xD Although, given that meditation was actually used back then, I let it pass. (And looks like Jin is going to show again too!)
new_userJul 5, 2008 5:20 PM
Oct 5, 2008 7:08 PM

Jul 2008
The giant wolf scared the crap out of me. I paused the episode to grab a drink at the exact second before it popped up and I bet you can guess what happened when I unpaused it. xD

Besides that, this was one of my favorite episodes so far. I loved the wild-goose chase Balsa was pulling. "She went east, no west, no north! South? I'm confused. D:"
Dec 13, 2008 10:56 PM

Oct 2008
i thought i missed an episode... the beginning of this episode compared to the previous is way off.. someone explain plz...
Dec 13, 2008 11:02 PM

May 2007
^It's been like a week

Anyway I liked the ringaround Balsa did, and the wolf part was a jumper, just so sudden.
My anime list
Jan 7, 2009 2:58 AM

Jul 2008
That was a big ass wolf, and the old lady has some craftiness. So they are thought to be dead.
Mar 29, 2009 3:10 PM

Aug 2008
It looks like that old woman there has a lot of tricks on her sleeve.

I am also surprised that the imperial assassins there are no pushovers too.

It looks like the prince will learn to live as a commoner from now on.

Apr 6, 2009 9:45 PM

Feb 2009
Even though the prince didn't die I feel the pain of the captain; it is weird how many mixed feeling the pursuers have. And damn that's freaking huge wolf and that's some funeral!!
MaxCrazy7Apr 6, 2009 9:48 PM
Jun 10, 2009 12:05 AM

Nov 2007
Woah, I initially thought the wolf was normal sized but when it went up close O_O ... man that's one big wolf.
Jul 25, 2009 9:12 AM

Jun 2008
Nice plan. The wolf looks actually bigger than I thought. xD
Sep 29, 2009 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
That wolf...yeah, that made sense ~_~ Can't wait for the explanation to /that/.
Dec 14, 2009 2:56 PM

May 2009
That wolf is huge, I didn't realize how big it was when it stalked Chagum in an earlier episode. Maybe it was another wolf though? I got really surprised when it appeared. "What the hell just happened?" Totally unexpected.

It was a great chase through the canyon though. I liked how the hunters had to predict Belsa's next move. But now, it seems they've lost them completely, thinking they are dead.
Jul 4, 2010 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
I wonder how the poor soldier explained it to the emperor: a wolf suddenly jumped in, killed them and left. rofl

at least now the way is free for some Balsa x Chagum development ^^
Aug 1, 2010 10:40 PM

Jun 2009
Omg I was hoping for the Shaman to aid them together - but good thing she helped them out with the wolf thing

Using the 30 slaves as a decoy was impressive
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 3, 2010 8:01 PM

Dec 2009
Ah the sneakiness and a nice chase. It was interesting to see them get upset at the prince's death when they planned to kill him anyway.

Aug 19, 2010 12:34 PM

Sep 2008
Gin-iro said:
Besides that, this was one of my favorite episodes so far. I loved the wild-goose chase Balsa was pulling. "She went east, no west, no north! South? I'm confused. D:"

YES. That was awesome. Made me happy that she made them sit there for a while contemplating where the heck she'd gone. :D I figured she had something planned when those two guys had trapped her, but I didn't know it was THAT... and it most definitely look spontaneous and completely un-planned.

Must've been weird for Chagum, attending his own funeral. At least he can see the city from the commoner's point of view now... Maybe if he ends up as the emperor somehow (I have no idea how that would happen, but who knows?), he can make changes if the city-folk don't have satisfactory living standards. [Haven't seen much of the city yet.]

Anywayyy... I'm loving this series. This episode reminded me to go back and thank the person who recommended it. And YAY! Balsa's back home so hopefully we get BalsaxTanda development alongside Chagum's character development. :)
Aug 28, 2010 9:25 PM

May 2010
Princess Mononoke...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 31, 2010 11:03 AM

Oct 2009
Thats on big wolf, great tactic they used x)
Feb 11, 2011 2:44 AM

Apr 2009
cantius said:
Poor horse.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 14, 2011 10:29 AM

Apr 2009
Man I do feel for Tanda i.e. his anguish of waiting for Balsa... but even more for the poor horse. :(

merle_noir said:
Must've been weird for Chagum, attending his own funeral. At least he can see the city from the commoner's point of view now... Maybe if he ends up as the emperor somehow (I have no idea how that would happen, but who knows?), he can make changes if the city-folk don't have satisfactory living standards. [Haven't seen much of the city yet.]

Yeah that was weird, "Dude, it's your funeral today!" XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 15, 2012 7:09 PM

Aug 2008
shaman thing, it's magic! So, I didn't get it!
It's a shame for the horse :(

But yeah, they can stay quiet for a while...
And I like Tanba, "the wife who is waiting for the warrior's return"
KuriniJan 15, 2012 7:13 PM
Mar 6, 2012 12:06 PM

Aug 2010
How did they survive that fall? God damn, what a waste of a really good horse.
Aug 17, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2011
Poor horse. :/

But that was great. That wolf... reminded me of Twilight werewolves. >> (Or Maybe Princess Mononoke?) HUGE. It looked normal size before - I swear.

I want to see my own funeral!

Edit: 2016. What am I saying here lmfao. Tanda's sentiment. </3
MirorinJan 21, 2016 11:16 PM
Sep 12, 2012 5:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was pretty well done. Love the Wolfus Ex Machina.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 17, 2012 7:15 PM

Nov 2011
Well shit, that chase in the mountains ended up abruptly by a big bad wolf.
Oct 21, 2012 10:29 AM
Mar 2012
I want that cute wolf too, soo cute when she strokes it oohhhh
Dec 26, 2012 6:09 AM

Feb 2008
I feel sorry for the horse.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
May 19, 2013 3:46 PM

Jun 2009
I found it so very strange that the Boss of the secret service hunters and the Old Sage were upset upon learning of Chagum's "death".

After all, didn't they want to kill him in the first place? I thought the scene where the Hunter boss was trying to climb down the mountain to get to Chagum's body seemed rather out of place.

Other than that, I'm absolutely enjoying this series. Can't believe it's taken me this long to watch it.
Thanks to mikan-icon for the awesome one piece icon :)
Jun 28, 2013 11:18 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Oh wow that huge wolf. I had a feeling it wasn't some random stray wolf. And it was clever that Balsa used the slave to mislead the army. But yeah, poor horse and poor Tanda with his rant. I laughed when the soldiers were like, "Forgive us. Perhaps our question was inappropriate." LOL way to make them feel bad. At the end, Tanda must have been tired from being worried about Balsa. Jin was right about Balsa looping back, but that wolf attack was pretty believable.
Dec 24, 2013 7:14 PM

Nov 2013
Damn, Balsa is a lot more clever than she looks. Reminds me of the Major, both in wit and appearance.

I just realized how good the sound is in this anime, notably in the chase sequence. The pounding of hooves and the cracking of the reins, with the added bonus of the soundtrack, made for a great watch.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised that Shuga didn't read out loud the letter he received, like most anime would have done. Instead, we simply see his stunned reaction as he drops what he is holding. But we all know what the letter said. Props to the writer for good storytelling.

As for how Balsa and Chagrum survived the fall... I think the wolf carried them in its mouth as they fell.
Feb 13, 2014 3:41 PM

Nov 2009
So they decided not to cross the mountains? Wise choice I guess . . . Although being where the hunters are runs the risk of them recognizing her . . . With out without the prince it is probably unwise for her to be recognized by them.
Jan 13, 2015 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
I love anime where the characters go on journeys.
Great episode.
Feb 10, 2015 5:16 AM
Aug 2014
Great anime so far; mind games, magical trickery and good pacing.
Mar 15, 2015 11:38 PM

Nov 2013
Plenty of sick mind games this episode.

Props to Balsa for confusing the hunters.

Torogai was definitely MVP this episode for helping Balsa and Chagum fake their deaths.

Great episode. One of the best ones yet.

8.5/10

Sep 23, 2015 4:35 PM

Mar 2012
What the hell has that wolf been eating? lol

Confucius said:
Princess Mononoke...?

I have yet to watch Princess Mononoke, because I'm bad, but I thought the same thing when I saw the wolf next to the old lady xD
Apr 24, 2016 1:58 AM
Jan 2012
Worst episode yet, the quality of the writing took a sudden dive in this episode.

Balsa could have just departed earlier, it was stupid to wait that long. It's not like her wounds would heal much in those few hours that she stayed longer. She even had time to swing the spear around in the morning.. It was all in service of the wolf scene.

The "ninjas" (or w/e) sit around and meditate and when they learn about her location they say "Well played... she kept us pinned down here", I found that to be hilarious. xD

Why didn't they check the body? It's the prince not some random peasant..

And then they just casually walk around the town. Even if the suspicion is gone, there are still some people that know how she looks like, it's not worth the risk.
Oct 20, 2016 12:37 PM
Aug 2012
like that Tanda is such a caring person, Life isn't meaningless if there is such person who would always wait for you to com...Oh man, poor prince to witness your own funeral
May 5, 2017 5:45 AM

Oct 2012
That was a really big wolf.. Or is it Okami? :3

Oh wow distraction and fake deaths
That's really clever
Well.. I called it Reverse reverse counter psychology xD
Rayl1ghtMay 6, 2017 6:30 AM
"Signature removed"
Aug 17, 2017 2:26 PM
Nov 2010
That was not a harmless fall, I'm surprised they're both apparently pretty well from it. Could the two men really not go down to check the bodies? They even saw the wolf leaving its prey for some reason.

Balsa seems not to have chosen the best path on that track. If it was done on purpose, I'm hoping they'll find it a bit weird a bit later, too, once they sit down and think about it, but this could've already happened before they sent the hair.

A bit shaky there in the end with who believes that Chagum is dead, since the water spirit could've protected him. I guess it'll be more clear in the next episodes.

MatijaxD said:
Balsa could have just departed earlier, it was stupid to wait that long. It's not like her wounds would heal much in those few hours that she stayed longer. She even had time to swing the spear around in the morning.. It was all in service of the wolf scene.

And then they just casually walk around the town. Even if the suspicion is gone, there are still some people that know how she looks like, it's not worth the risk.

I guess she simply didn't believe she could escape anyways without convincing them of her and Chagum's deaths.

As for going around the town, I do agree it's still fairly risky. There should be a good reason for it in the following episodes (the boy seeing his own funeral and them seeing how Tanda is doing are not quite enough to say the least).
Nov 20, 2017 3:41 AM

Dec 2015
How the hell did they survive that fall??
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 24, 2018 10:09 AM

Sep 2011
This episode was incredible!

First, I felt really bad for Chagum, finding himself forced to cut his hair to increase, even if just a bit, his chances of survival. He's truly throwing away what he had, and what he was to survive, and it has to be hard for a child. I also felt bad for Tanda, he never knows how Balsa is doing, and all that he can do is to wait in worry, this is too much too, but there's no helping it.

Then Balsa! Her strategy with the slaves was superb! She managed to divide the enemy's forces, and to buy some time, and after that amazing pursuit on horseback, they now believe that Chagum is truly dead, so at least for now they are safe, it was a total win for her. Torogai's giant wolf friend/summon was also so cool too! I just feel really bad for the poor horse, but Balsa is really brave, she went back to the city. I guess that it's "safe" since they won't be looking for them there, but it's still too risky. Now some more character development is on the way for Chagum, next episode!
Aug 18, 2019 6:44 AM

May 2015
nice doggy.......
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 30, 2019 8:08 PM

Mar 2016
Not sure what how that diversion was supposed to work. A bunch of random people wandering around that Balsa has never met somehow resembling her and the prince (and even Tanda in green, who wouldn't even be a person of interest for searchers)? Like I understand the idea behind it, but what is presented on screen with people being let out en masse from some hut in the middle of nowhere has no connection to them being strategically placed later on. Hard to believe that it could be so precisely carried out based on vague implications by Balsa in that one scene. This episode was put together quite oddly.
syncrogazerDec 1, 2019 8:22 AM
Jan 20, 2021 5:19 AM

Jul 2017
It was a sublime episode as a whole, especially with the whole funeral scene feeling incredibly personal to Chagum, who's literally seeing his own funeral happen in front of him despite knowing the truth of his father wanting him dead, and the whole funeral itself felt bleak yet grand, worthy of a funeral of royalty. The music and directing for this entire scene felt remarkable, especially the music to capture the atmosphere tragically.

Even the scene with Tanda and the soldiers were great as he went on a vague rant about Balsa, which to them feels like he's just tired of his customers but to him, its a blatant showcase of his worries and feelings for Balsa over the years which feels again, really personal and well-written despite the actual nature of their relationship only being revealed in vague amounts and with vague details.
Jan 10, 2022 1:47 PM
Apr 2020
MatijaxD said:
Worst episode yet, the quality of the writing took a sudden dive in this episode.

The "ninjas" (or w/e) sit around and meditate and when they learn about her location they say "Well played... she kept us pinned down here", I found that to be hilarious. xD

Why didn't they check the body? It's the prince not some random peasant..

Yeah too many plot holes in this episode unfortunately plus stuff that is straight up stupid as you mentioned
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - May 26, 2007

50 by Om-Nom-Nom »»
May 31, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
May 28, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 14 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 16, 2007

38 by Safrichh »»
May 15, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.