Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 25, 2008 9:15 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
In part I was hoping Yang would have an engaging battle for Iserlohn but that thought flew right out of the window when they revealed the fortress commander and the fleet commander don't get along at all and often run at odds. That kind of strife is just begging for a weakness to be exploited.

I like Yang's overall planning. Large numbers have constantly been defeated time after time so a small infiltrating group is a good idea. His thoughts of having peace after the battle seems a bit too idealistic though.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 9, 2008 1:48 AM

Apr 2008
Fairly entertaining episode, though a lot more characters wer introduced -_-. Hopefully they die in the battle. How did Yang get an Empire's ship again? Don't they have passwords and stuff? Did they just completely skip it, they are going to flashback or I missed some, I don't know.

Really liked the music right at the end. 4/5
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jan 9, 2009 5:54 AM

Jan 2008
tainteddonut said:
I like Yang's overall planning. Large numbers have constantly been defeated time after time so a small infiltrating group is a good idea. His thoughts of having peace after the battle seems a bit too idealistic though.

I think you mean the rosen-ritter dude's idea of peace was idealistic, whereas Yang's was realistic. Peace comes and goes and is not permanent, right?

LoveWifeLunch said:
How did Yang get an Empire's ship again? Don't they have passwords and stuff? Did they just completely skip it, they are going to flashback or I missed some, I don't know.

I suppose we can consider it belonged to the rosen-ritter guys when they were exiled from the empire, but then while watching the episode I was wondering why the Empire didnt question where the Bremen had been all this time, and if it did belong to the exiled members of the empire, why the commander didnt acknowledge this fact, or why the commander's database of Empire ships acknlowedge it. Argh, too many questions!

Nice Yang flashback though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
May 30, 2009 10:34 AM

Mar 2008
Beatnik said:
LoveWifeLunch said:
How did Yang get an Empire's ship again? Don't they have passwords and stuff? Did they just completely skip it, they are going to flashback or I missed some, I don't know.

I suppose we can consider it belonged to the rosen-ritter guys when they were exiled from the empire, but then while watching the episode I was wondering why the Empire didnt question where the Bremen had been all this time, and if it did belong to the exiled members of the empire, why the commander didnt acknowledge this fact, or why the commander's database of Empire ships acknlowedge it. Argh, too many questions!

They said it was "war spoilers". Basically a ship from a defeated fleet. And that explains why the database acknowledged it.
Jul 27, 2009 1:13 AM

Jun 2009
I hate to say it but i'm confused. Kind of cool, because i haven't been like this in an anime in awhile.

On a side note: it's kind of cool that Yang's aide is a woman. It's nice to have a female in a mostly male cast, besides Annerose of course.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 3, 2009 11:44 PM

Jan 2009
War spoils for the win indeed. Fortunate for Yang that he was able to have Cazellnu do him that small favor.
Sep 12, 2009 5:26 AM

Nov 2008
Finally, there's a woman who appears in the story and who has a role in the war :D
Nov 22, 2009 5:22 AM

May 2009
I wonder if Yang will succeed in capturing Iserlohn. I also liked that Yang's aide is a woman. It's a nice addition in a story with mostly old men, lol.
Dec 18, 2009 1:38 PM

Apr 2009
HooHiraiBunny said:
Finally, there's a woman who appears in the story and who has a role in the war :D

yep this is nice))

haha the plan seems to work perfectly ^_^
Yang pwnes X)
Jul 17, 2010 8:17 AM
Jun 2010
Cool, infiltration mission. Are they enough to capture the sphere or Yang will have to help them later ? Good to see that this episode was a little better than episode 5...

Nov 15, 2010 8:23 PM

May 2010
I want to see more of the Galactic Empire
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 16, 2011 8:48 AM

Dec 2010
cantius said:
It's a trap!
This XD
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Mar 2, 2011 10:46 PM
Jul 2010
Yang fights for great tea and a livable military pension. such a beast

I hope the empire researches that ship a little and finds it didn't report back after the battle it was lost in, or maybe that it has different personnel. It'd be disappointing if Yang's plan went off with no resistance.
Mar 29, 2011 4:42 AM

Feb 2010
Just like the previous episodes, lots of insight dialogues, this one is especially hilarious.

' Because we can only drink good tea while we're living, everyone let's fight so we don't die. '
Jul 8, 2011 9:14 AM

Aug 2010
Taking over the Fortress will prove to be a difficult task. If Yang really pulls it off, my hats off to him
Jul 29, 2011 6:39 PM
Jun 2011
So I'm a little confused about the Rosen Ritters...they're defectors from the empire? If not, they have some ties to it? Well, my question would be why would they even be allowed to exist as a military force? It's a great idea, but if everyone's so afraid they'll just betray the alliance why are they even around?
Jul 30, 2011 2:02 AM

Jan 2008
Grisle said:
So I'm a little confused about the Rosen Ritters...they're defectors from the empire? If not, they have some ties to it? Well, my question would be why would they even be allowed to exist as a military force? It's a great idea, but if everyone's so afraid they'll just betray the alliance why are they even around?

The group has been outcast from the empire so you could say their motivation for toppling it is just as strong as the Alliance. Presumably each individual's past would have been thoroughly researched before being allowed to join the group, but they're hated simply because they were born in the Empire.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 30, 2011 3:58 AM
Jun 2011
Thanks for the info. The subs on my video files are a little wonky and I have to stop it sometimes just to read a regular statement so I'm a little more forgiving when I'm a little lost cause I don't want to spend 40 minutes watching one episode. Didn't the captain say that 6 guys before him had betrayed the alliance? I guess they just seem like a risky bunch, but obviously that's what the writers were going for.
Jul 30, 2011 1:25 PM

Sep 2008
Grisle said:
The subs on my video files are a little wonky .

what subs you got dood? if its Central-Anime, you should be all set. If its not, just drop it and switch to C-A
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 1, 2011 12:33 AM
Jun 2011
I guess I got the old files. I did get the C-A version for this episode after having some issues and I must say it is way better.
Aug 11, 2011 3:36 PM
Jul 2010
Reinhard: Among the stars that sparkle in space, individual movement is insignificant. However, the appearance of just one new star is a matter that will change the map of space. Yang Wen-Li… are you only a planet, or are you a shining new star?
Guy got one comment for the whole episode, and he didn't waste.

The Empire is so damned corrupt. Not only are their bases suffering from excessive management, the managers can't even get along with each other. Their aristocratic society is trying to consolidate power into so many expanding families that everyone, regardless of ability, has to command something. It doesn't even matter if that something already has someone in charge, or how well the two work together.
Oct 1, 2011 8:04 PM

Mar 2011
I must say, Yang has a lot to fight for; great tea and chillin' on a pension. Like a boss.
Apr 8, 2012 7:10 PM

Mar 2012
Grisle said:
`

their history is a lot better explained in the gaidens
Apr 10, 2012 9:36 PM

Feb 2012
There were parallels between episodes 3 and 4 and now parallels between episodes 5 and 6 -- not to say that Siegfried's assignment even comes close to the strategic importance or tactical difficulty of an assault on Iserlohn Fortress.

I like Frederica and Schenkopp. Frederica seems like she'll be a permanent addition to the cast, but I hope Schenkopp doesn't go off and die anytime soon.
May 22, 2012 10:30 PM

Jun 2009
Really liked the dialogue when Yang was discussing his plan with Frederica, Shenkopp and the others. Especially the stuff between him and Shenkopp, both had nice lines there. Of course, Reinhard's line the Luthimal quoted was fantastic as well.

As for my previous post, no idea why I was confused. It's an infiltration mission, pretty simple.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 9, 2013 10:12 PM

Nov 2009
The empire is in trouble ... Though if that one ship could capture the entire massive sphere full of people then they are pretty sad.
Sep 15, 2013 4:50 PM

Jul 2011
LOL. "I hate coffee. I wish you'd given me tea." - Yang Wenli.
I actually laughed there!

Waiting to see how this strategy plays out.
Oct 26, 2014 7:21 PM

Mar 2012
Mirorin said:
LOL. "I hate coffee. I wish you'd given me tea." - Yang Wenli.
I actually laughed there!

Waiting to see how this strategy plays out.

Even if it saves his life, he still hates coffee. All the feels.
Feb 1, 2015 12:04 PM

May 2012
Impressive development! Looking forward to see what happens next!
Feb 5, 2015 4:21 AM

Aug 2014
It seems that the rose knights have gotten into iserlohn. I wonder how they are going to defeat it?
Apr 23, 2015 4:11 AM

Feb 2014
Nice plan, using infiltration to get Iserlohn Fortress. Wonder if the Rosen Ritter guys will get found out though, since even if the commanders don't get along/think irrationally, at least Oberstein seems competent.

Apr 27, 2015 9:52 PM

Aug 2014
This episode is basically just a set up for the upcoming battle it would seem. We should definitely take note of the 2 new characters being introduced. One of them seems to be the first female officer from what I've noticed, helps that she also has some sort of past history with Yang. This area Yang has been set to capture looks to be very vital since it's smack in the middle of the Empire and the Alliance forces. I wonder if there will be any retaliation form possible Reinhard himself if Yang and co are able to capture it

I also just want to point out how different Yang and Reinhard are. Reinhard cares about moving up in the ranks and being as powerful as he can while Yang could care less as we see with him sleeping in and the speech he gave. All he wants is to capture this area to force peace negations so he can retire and live at ease.
Apr 30, 2015 1:41 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting plan and set up.
A little bit more backstory too.
May 23, 2015 1:25 AM
Nov 2014
Yang's plan was well thought out instead of just barraging the fortress with cannons and lasers. Let's see what the rose knights dood will do nao.
Jun 10, 2015 3:21 AM
Nov 2013
good episode of things to come, episode 3 is still my fav so far tho.
Jun 15, 2015 6:11 PM

Dec 2013
Decent episode. Definitely picked up towards the end. Enjoyed Yang's speech lol
Jun 29, 2015 9:37 AM

Feb 2015
Pretty good speech by Yang.

I'm liking Yang a lot more than Reinhard he wants peace and Reinhard wants power.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2015 3:39 AM

Jan 2014
"Because we can only drink good tea while we're living,
therefore everybody, let's fight so that we don't die."
You go, Yang! :D :D :D
Oct 11, 2015 1:58 PM

Nov 2012
Royalirishman said:
Pretty good speech by Yang.

I'm liking Yang a lot more than Reinhard he wants peace and Reinhard wants power.

yeah, I can't really sympahthize that much with Reinhard's goals in comparison. From what I gathered from the flashback episode , he wants power to get back his sister, which I guess is a decent goal. But other than that his motive seems shallow, from a previous ep he was just spouting some junk about already starting the acent to power, he wants to own the stars/galaxy? IDK about that. I even like his red headed aid friend dude a little better than reinhard, he seems to be extraordinarily smart and multiple instances of Reinhard heavily relying on his advice as well, he seems like the more peaceable and level headed one if anything.

Yang just seems like a chill dude that simply wants to live in peace. Very wise admission from him in this episode, he's not unrealistically expecting a permanent peace to such a long winded conflict, he seems to really care about that kid living with him more than anything we've seen so far.
midnightbladeOct 11, 2015 2:02 PM
Apr 23, 2016 11:06 AM

Jun 2010
Some space-Germans are part of the Alliance military? Maybe makes how the battle's going to go a little predictable?

Had to laugh at Yang's flustered reaction when Greenhill came to speak to him; "Gee willikers, it's a lady!"

We may have finally gotten some background to how this war works. For the past episode or two we've heard Imperial characters refer to "rebels" which indicates they deny the legitimacy of the Alliance as a state and implies they want total conquest. Yang's speculation that capturing the lynchpin fortress will allow the Alliance to make an acceptable peace raises the question of why the Empire hasn't done likewise with their territory so safe from invasion.

While we've seen the Alliance has a corruption problem in its officialdom and political culture it seems that the usual political prejudice is borne out; the Galactic Empire is aggressive and warlike.
May 29, 2016 5:29 PM

Aug 2014
Awwwww! Yang has a fangirl :)
Jul 15, 2016 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
the ol' Trojan Horse chestnut

those Knights of the Rose seem to un-defect a lot
Jul 18, 2016 1:31 PM
Jun 2013
It looks like things are about to get REALLY interesting with the infiltration.
Dec 10, 2016 2:41 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
First step of th Yang tactic to take Inserlhon!!!!
Apr 25, 2017 11:33 PM

Jun 2015
So far I am not enjoying this show as much as I thought I would. Guess it was hyped up too much to me.
:)
Dec 30, 2017 4:52 PM

Mar 2014
The infiltration was easy, but a probable explanation is that with fleets so large, it is difficult to maintain and access a database of destroyed/MIA ships.
Apr 26, 2018 3:07 PM

Sep 2017
Boring. I feel like they are teaching kinder garden stuff on how to win in paintball. The decoy was something I smelled from a mile away. I dunno how those generals managed to man this blockade.

There is no battle or fight. Just tactics. I hate them, especially if they are fucking obvious. And also a backstory and a PA who distract us from the story.

This is stagnating. If the next episode doesn't involve strategy, I am calling out.(Especially after watching Overture).

I am starting to wonder how this became soo perfect. What is the episode when this turns around?

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Aug 28, 2018 9:31 PM

Feb 2017
Interesting how the Rosen Ritter is made up of Imperial exiles, which adds another layer to the complexity of the conflict.
Dec 11, 2018 6:14 PM

Dec 2015
Seeing Yang be promoted so high so fast when he threatened the President is pretty weird.

Nice to see where Fujisaki got his inspiration for the Greenhill girl, I like this one better.

3/5
Sep 18, 2019 11:18 AM

Sep 2018
Episode that does not conquer me for the narrative rhythm, but for the dialogues, especially that of Yang and partly for the strategy put on the battlefield, and the motivations of a political nature. So far this anime is proving serious and mature, I like it!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - May 25, 2008

262 by bubba460z »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 66 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

45 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 7, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

59 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 1, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

69 by Safrichh »»
May 29, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

605 by ryzxgum »»
May 29, 12:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.