Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 5, 2015 11:13 PM

Jan 2015
so there r many views on what good taste is, like how similar someones taste is to ours, but is there any way to pin down what actual good taste is instead of hating on anyone u think is a casual or something, like what would u do to have a more civilized disposition to taste in anime.

mine to start off with:
1. good taste doesnt just say whats popular is good.
2. good taste doesnt let majority opinion affect their opinion.
3. good taste can accept that each taste and show has its flaws and merits, but reasonably defend there own preference.
4. good taste doesnt blindly hate on popular shows.

so, please discuss, i am interested in what mal users have to say about this matter.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 5, 2015 11:14 PM

Jun 2014
Just look at my anime list for an example of good taste. ;)
Jun 5, 2015 11:15 PM

Jan 2015
good taste is what people think makes anime good.
Jun 5, 2015 11:18 PM

Feb 2015
I read the word taste so much, I'm not even sure what it means anymore.
Jun 5, 2015 11:25 PM

Jan 2011
No such thing as good taste, but there is such a thing as having taste, and it can be developed, undeveloped or somewhere in between.
Jun 5, 2015 11:26 PM

Jan 2015
Protaku94 said:
School Days at least 7/10=Good tastes.

a good example of what i was saying before as good taste. he doesnt let different opinions sway his
Jun 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Mar 2015
who need good taste? as long i enjoy it, i dont care people say my taste bad.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 6, 2015 12:08 AM

Jun 2013
Knowing why you like what you like.
Jun 6, 2015 12:26 AM

Nov 2014
We typically has a different taste on anime. Good taste only applicable particularly to "you". *Think*
Jun 6, 2015 12:33 AM

Feb 2013
SNKFanboy said:
so there r many views on what good taste is, like how similar someones taste is to ours, but is there any way to pin down what actual good taste is instead of hating on anyone u think is a casual or something, like what would u do to have a more civilized disposition to taste in anime.

mine to start off with:
3. good taste can accept that each taste and show has its flaws and merits, but reasonably defend there own preference.

so, please discuss, i am interested in what mal users have to say about this matter.
5. good taste enjoys anime from all kinds of genres and eras
6. good taste has their scores on a bell curve
7. good taste knows notable directors and writers
8. good taste does not have 5 favourites from the top 100basically point #1 but this is just a big red flag to me
Jun 6, 2015 12:34 AM

Mar 2012
You have good taste. I have good taste. Everyone has good taste.
Jun 6, 2015 12:44 AM

Dec 2011
romagia said:

8. good taste does not have 5 favourites from the top 100basically point #1 but this is just a big red flag to me

If that's true then if you added anime to your favourites and then they entered the top 100 your taste would suddenly stop being good.

That's got to be one of the silliest ideas I've ever read on this topic - and believe you me I've read a lot of very silly things regarding "taste".

---

Just as there is no such thing as shit taste, there is no such thing as good taste either. The closest thing would probably be the ability to appreciate and enjoy a wide variety of different things, I guess.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 6, 2015 12:52 AM

Feb 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
romagia said:

If that's true then if you added anime to your favourites and then they entered the top 100 your taste would suddenly stop being good.

That's got to be one of the silliest ideas I've ever read on this topic - and believe you me I've read a lot of very silly things regarding "taste".
how often does that happen anyway? i'm only aware of shin sekai yori
Jun 6, 2015 1:02 AM

Nov 2014
romagia said:
SNKFanboy said:

mine to start off with:

7 has nothing to do with taste.
8, why?

Jun 6, 2015 1:04 AM

Oct 2013
I think it's more important to watch anime you personally enjoy than trying to slavishly develop some "good taste".
Jun 6, 2015 1:05 AM

Feb 2013
AzureDaora said:
romagia said:

7 has nothing to do with taste.
8, why?
eh, thats how i feel about stuff
i always have a better opinion of people with less voice actors and top anime in their favourite list
Jun 6, 2015 1:07 AM

Mar 2008
The ability to smell is essential to having a sound ability to taste. As an added bonus, good olfaction allows one to identify pugnent odours prior to actual consumption, allowing for the good smeller to avoid spoiled and upsetting meals.

Thus, the power of one's nose is the true indicator of good taste.
Jun 6, 2015 1:14 AM

Jan 2015
Good tastes appreciate Ninja Slayer's story, Vampire Holme's uniqueness, and Inferno Cop's glorious animation. They also have Idea Factory, A-1 Pictures and Studio Cucurri as their favorite studios
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 6, 2015 1:17 AM

Feb 2013
Remv_quevav said:
Good tastes appreciate Ninja Slayer's story, Vampire Holme's uniqueness, and Inferno Cop's glorious animation. They also have Idea Factory, A-1 Pictures and Studio Cucurri as their favorite studios
cucuri and idea factory are mainly game studios, presumably with an well developed animation branch for the cinematics and such, and occasionaly they make anime tie-ins to their games
cucuri sounds pretty funny tho
Jun 6, 2015 1:23 AM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
Remv_quevav said:
cucuri and idea factory are mainly game studios, presumably with an well developed animation branch for the cinematics and such, and occasionaly they make anime tie-ins to their games
Indeed
even the 2 mentioned studios are basically game devs, they managed to make animu series and OVAs. While Studio Cucuri is basically new to the industry, they managed to make a controversial show that wrecked the Spring 2015 charts to a bang. I have high hopes to that studio. An individual with such good taste will definitely appreciate their works
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 6, 2015 1:24 AM

Dec 2012
Hoping Metal slug would get some kind of OVA is in good taste I feel
Jun 6, 2015 1:31 AM

Feb 2013
Remv_quevav said:
romagia said:
Indeed
even the 2 mentioned studios are basically game devs, they managed to make animu series and OVAs. While Studio Cucuri is basically new to the industry, they managed to make a controversial show that wrecked the Spring 2015 charts to a bang. I have high hopes to that studio. An individual with such good taste will definitely appreciate their works
we're gonna wait a while because vampire holmes was such a runaway hit, i bet they'll still wanna cash on it before launching their next killer app, and then adapt it
Jun 6, 2015 2:20 AM

May 2015
I care less what you like, but why you like something. Even if you like the same things as me, if you can't explain and defend your opinion it's useless.

How you think about anime is far more important than what anime you like.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 6, 2015 2:22 AM

Feb 2013
KavadaKedavra said:
It doesn't exist.
that's just your opinion :^)
Jun 6, 2015 2:31 AM

Sep 2014
If I say Berserk is one of the best manga I've read and TTGL is one of the worst anime I've seen, what's my taste?
Jun 6, 2015 2:42 AM

Feb 2013
Some people like spicy food. Some people like sweet food.
Some find pleasure in simple bread. Others seek gourmet dishes.

Good taste is to enjoy what you enjoy.
Jun 6, 2015 2:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Good taste is a myth
Jun 6, 2015 2:59 AM

May 2015
Balong said:
Kagumayo said:
Think again.....

Good? :)
Maybe you're just a minority that hates TTGL, but nevermind. I wouldn't make you to like it. Just consider it again. ^^
Jun 6, 2015 3:20 AM
May 2015
Hey SNKFanboy. Indeed, <Shingeki No Kyojin> is a great anime. There are really good animes which aren't really popular but it's your choice to search them. I watch an anime for 2 or 3 episodes, and if I don't like it, I just give it up. I watched 1 episode of <Nanatsu No Taizai> and it was clearly (by my opinion) the best anime I've seen. I also really like <Naruto (+ Shippuden)> and also <Kuroko No Basket> even if I don't really like sports. Maybe you should watch my anime list. I don't have much animes, but it's the one I like. I'm planning to watch more of them.
Jun 6, 2015 3:54 AM

May 2015
Good taste=people that have my taste.
Anyone who disagree is ofc with a bad taste.
Jun 6, 2015 4:08 AM

May 2014
Good taste is based on the majority.
If the majority think an anime is bad, and you think it's good, people will say you have bad taste and vice versa.
A really popular/good example is the battle-shounen lovers.
Although battle-shounen are enjoyed by many viewers, very few of them consider them "good"(critically viewing). So if a person like bunch of battle-shounens and does not like and watch other types of anime, that person would be considered to have a "bad-taste" in the community right now.
Jun 6, 2015 4:56 AM

May 2013
Good taste is my taste. If your scores aren't completely identical to mine, you have bad taste. Sorry bout that.

Jun 6, 2015 5:00 AM

Jan 2014
Doesn't exist. Don't listen to all the make-believe critics on this forums. They are just little kids that THINK they understand art.

Watch whatever makes you feel good and rate it according to your own personal preference. Don't pretend to be a critic or a snob, it just makes you look bad.

If you like boobs watch ecchi, if you like romance with no development whatsoever watch romantic comedies, if you want to cry watch tragedies if you want manly men fighting watch shounen, if you want manly men fighting with their minds watch seinen, if you want robots watch that piece of garbage genre called mecha, if you want spaceships watch that other piece of garbage genre called sci-fi, if you want forests and oceans and mountains watch adventure. Whatever you want, watch it. Don't follow the majority.
I love my gurlz
Jun 6, 2015 5:02 AM
Nov 2014
u guys all have good taste
Jun 6, 2015 5:12 AM

Sep 2014
Kagumayo said:
Balong said:

Good? :)
Maybe you're just a minority that hates TTGL, but nevermind. I wouldn't make you to like it. Just consider it again. ^^

Already done many times, always the same conclusion...
Jun 6, 2015 5:16 AM

Jan 2013
Having real good anime as your favs
Jun 6, 2015 6:00 AM

Sep 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Good taste is a myth

probably

but shit taste is real for sure
Jun 6, 2015 6:01 AM

Nov 2014
Ckan said:
The ability to smell is essential to having a sound ability to taste. As an added bonus, good olfaction allows one to identify pugnent odours prior to actual consumption, allowing for the good smeller to avoid spoiled and upsetting meals.

Thus, the power of one's nose is the true indicator of good taste.
Science, bitches.

Jun 6, 2015 6:02 AM

Oct 2012
Good taste is not liking chinese cartoons in the first place.
Jun 6, 2015 6:17 AM

Apr 2014
good taste is what i feel what is good

taste in things is just like taste in food

some people think Chinese food is disgusting while others love it
Jun 6, 2015 6:19 AM
Mar 2014
For me, good taste just means being aware of yourself and your preferences or bias. If you can explain why you liked or disliked something in a manner that allows others to understand your opinion, then that's about as much as one can ask for.

Erm, I mean, good taste is measured by the amount of compatibility someone has when comparing their list to mine.
Jun 6, 2015 6:47 AM

Mar 2012
Well, people usually say that I have a bad taste, others say that I have a good taste.
Good taste for me is like many animes, and further some animes considered very good by people.
Like some bad animes(animes considered bad by many) does not make taste be bad in the overall, but liking many "bad animes" and disliking most of "good animes", something is wrong.
I think that we should respect others opinons about animes, after all, people not choose what they like
Jun 6, 2015 7:03 AM

Jul 2014
You wanna know what good taste is? Check my list.
Jun 6, 2015 7:05 AM

Feb 2013
Everyone thinks they have good taste, let them think whatever they want, in the end if you enjoyed watching something you won't get upset from the comments of others.
Jun 6, 2015 7:11 AM

Mar 2015
people just want their taste become superrior. deal with it or leave.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 6, 2015 7:12 AM

Aug 2014
Good taste doesn't exist. It's an urban legend much like fair scoring.
Shit taste does exist, tho. Everyone who likes LOGH more than Inferno Cop has bad taste.
IN ALL SERIOUSNESS.
Jun 6, 2015 7:15 AM

Mar 2015
Poltergeist18 said:
Shit taste does exist, tho. Everyone who likes LOGH more than Inferno Cop has bad taste.
IN ALL SERIOUSNESS.
i think you should hide.
Jun 6, 2015 7:16 AM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:
Poltergeist18 said:
IN ALL SERIOUSNESS.
i think you should hide.

Good idea. Or maybe I shouldn't? Maybe they'll see through this as trolling?
Jun 6, 2015 7:18 AM

Apr 2013
As much as I'd like to disagree, 'good taste' is relative to opinion. There's no ironclad rules that dictates what's what's 'good' or 'bad'.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Jun 6, 2015 7:18 AM

Nov 2014
Anyone who has a 70% or higher compatibility with me.

But on a serious note: There is no such thing as good taste when it comes to entertainment. Taste in this regard is completely subjective.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores ( 1 2 )

Kimo45 - Jun 25

53 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you wish there were more historical anime?

SimplyBrazen - 11 hours ago

29 by -Fantastical- »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » how "loved" is your #1 fave character of all time ?

ame - Jun 25

45 by Timeline_man »»
12 minutes ago

» In a fight to the death, which anime girls would have the best chance?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 25

13 by IpreferEcchi »»
15 minutes ago

» Does an Anime with Good Fanbase even exist?

Dragevard - Yesterday

26 by TheMechaManiac »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.