Forum Settings
Forums

Do you wish there were more historical anime?

New
Would you like to see more historical anime being released?
Jun 27, 3:18 AM

May 2024
There's a lot of anime titles in the "historical" theme tag here on MAL, however most of them are more fantasy-based stories which don't really focus on historical events, but rather create their own narrative with little to no ties to actual historical contexts. I wonder if this has sth to do with historical titles not being all that popular in comparison to fantasy stories that implement some historical elements, or maybe it's just the fact that mangakas and anime writers aren't all that knowledgeable on history or lack the skills to do it justice.

Nevertheless, I think more historical titles like Vinland, Vagabond, Kingdom, etc, would be a lot more interesting than all the processed garbage isekai, harems and dull love stories we've been getting in abundance every season. Maybe a story set in Roman times or medieval Europe and Asia would garner some attention, at least overseas.
SimplyBrazenJun 27, 3:21 AM
Jun 27, 3:24 AM

Feb 2020
For me, they are usually more or less boring. :(
Jun 27, 3:42 AM

Jan 2021
Well, i definitely would be glad to.

SimplyBrazen said:
however most of them are more fantasy-based stories

I don't have much problem with fantasy x historical mix.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jun 27, 3:43 AM

May 2024
Cielord said:
I don't have much problem with fantasy x historical mix.

I don't mind that mix myself, but they're usually poorly executed from what I've seen, and there's also a lot of em.
Jun 27, 3:45 AM

May 2014
I know the upcoming Elusive Samurai anime is historical. Can't say how accurate it is though since I'm clueless about that.

I've seen Nobunaga is a ton of things, but none of those anime were historical lol.
Jun 27, 3:52 AM

Feb 2020
@jhzs0029 "Booring!" -Homer Simpson

So far, I have liked these historical anime:

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
Koihime†Musou
Mushishi
Neko Neko Nihonshi
Princess Principal
Uchi no Shishou wa Shippo ga Nai
Jun 27, 4:05 AM
Aug 2016
Japan is too cowardly to make a Ted Kaczynski anime
Jun 27, 4:15 AM

Sep 2016
There are over 4 times as many historical anime than there are isekai, that's certainly enough but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have more.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 27, 4:31 AM

May 2024
Zarutaku said:
There are over 4 times as many historical anime than there are isekai, that's certainly enough but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have more.

I already explained that. Most of those anime tagged as "historical" are more fantasy anime with one or two historical elements. They're not actually historical in setting and plot wise.
Jun 27, 4:35 AM

Oct 2019
Historical is a big word.

It really depends on what period and what setting wr are talking about.

I would LOVE to see a proper pirate anime, or an anime about gladiators.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 27, 4:43 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to SimplyBrazen
Zarutaku said:

I already explained that. Most of those anime tagged as "historical" are more fantasy anime with one or two historical elements. They're not actually historical in setting and plot wise.
@SimplyBrazen I filtered out the unrealistic genres and themes, still about 1000 left. Besides, almost every historical Anime has a historical setting, not sure what you mean by historical plot, but real historical events are rare indeed.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 27, 4:45 AM

Dec 2015
Yes, yes and yes. Especially early middle ages, mainly associated with Francia, Vikings, First Piast Dynasty, Kievan Rus and so on...
As late middle ages are literally the theme for many isekai or fantasy titles, while early middle ages, not to mention ancient times. [In Poland we're using mainly Early and Late for medieval description, which is why I don't mention here high middle ages.]

Which is why I have high hopes after Frieren form Madhouse to deliver some good food within Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite, which is a historical title as it is set in 15th century Poland, I wish they'll show the largest medieval battle - Battle of Grunwald. [Obviously I have additionally high hopes because it shows my own country, making it a 2nd anime set in Poland (theoretically 3rd)]
Grunwald - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald
Jun 27, 4:45 AM

May 2024
APolygons2 said:

You can find enough historical evidence and thrilling events throughout most of human history since antiquity. Even boring events can be turned into compelling narratives with the right writers and director involved.
Jun 27, 4:50 AM

May 2024
Zarutaku said:
Besides, almost every historical Anime has a historical setting, not sure what you mean by historical plot, but real historical events are rare indeed.

I was referring to accurate portrayals of historical events or sth like Vinland Saga which keeps most facts accurate and diverges slightly to add a more dramatic effect.

There's also a reason why the historical tag here on mal is a theme and not a genre, because most anime use history as a foundation, but very rarely decide to accurately portray historical events.
Jun 27, 4:50 AM
Apr 2024
The problem is that animation goes so well to fantasy and sci-fi so there isn't a lot of incentive to make a realistic historical anime instead of a fantasy based in history, but I guess a good one will be interesting
Jun 27, 4:53 AM

May 2024
Guilmon1 said:
The problem is that animation goes so well to fantasy and sci-fi so there isn't a lot of incentive to make a realistic historical anime instead of a fantasy based in history

I don't think that's really a problem. If that were the case then why do we get so many slice of life anime with better animation than most fantasy and sci-fi stories? The average isekai nowadays isn't even action-focused anymore, they're usually SoL these days.
Jun 27, 5:00 AM

Mar 2008
I feel they are too historically inaccurate. I only like it if it is accurate or just obvious it isnt pretending to be accurate and just going for aesthetics.
Jun 27, 5:02 AM

May 2024
Zettaiken said:
Which is why I have high hopes after Frieren form Madhouse to deliver some good food within Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite, which is a historical title as it is set in 15th century Poland, I wish they'll show the largest medieval battle - Battle of Grunwald. [Obviously I have additionally high hopes because it shows my own country, making it a 2nd anime set in Poland (theoretically 3rd)]

From what I've seen that anime will mostly be about astronomy. I'm not that familiar with it, but I don't actually think it'll be an action anime, might be wrong tho. Regardless I'm excited about it since the setting and historical basis seem interesting.
Jun 27, 5:20 AM

Nov 2021
there are already plenty of historical manga that are not fantasy, it wouldn’t hurt if some of them gets adapted into anime.
Jun 27, 5:23 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to SimplyBrazen
APolygons2 said:

You can find enough historical evidence and thrilling events throughout most of human history since antiquity. Even boring events can be turned into compelling narratives with the right writers and director involved.
@SimplyBrazen I don't doubt that, I'm just not as interested in a lot of historical settings.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 27, 5:59 AM

Aug 2013
Not really. I’m not into historical themes. There are some series which took place in the past that I liked though. It all depends on what the series is about too.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 27, 7:08 AM

Dec 2015
Reply to SimplyBrazen
Zettaiken said:

From what I've seen that anime will mostly be about astronomy. I'm not that familiar with it, but I don't actually think it'll be an action anime, might be wrong tho. Regardless I'm excited about it since the setting and historical basis seem interesting.
@SimplyBrazen I know that it is mainly about astronomy [I guess some sort of parallel character connected with Copernicus or fictional character who's the teacher/inspiration for Copernicus - didn't read the source so that's my blind guesses], nonetheless it is set in 15th century and the war with Teutonic Order was a major thing so it would be a nice touch to mention some stuff or maybe spend a single episode to showcase that.
Jun 27, 9:51 AM

Feb 2016
SimplyBrazen said:
There's a lot of anime titles in the "historical" theme tag here on MAL, however most of them are more fantasy-based stories which don't really focus on historical events, but rather create their own narrative with little to no ties to actual historical contexts. I wonder if this has sth to do with historical titles not being all that popular in comparison to fantasy stories that implement some historical elements, or maybe it's just the fact that mangakas and anime writers aren't all that knowledgeable on history or lack the skills to do it justice.

I think it just means those tags are worthless.

SimplyBrazen said:
I think more historical titles like Vinland, Vagabond, Kingdom, etc, would be a lot more interesting

No, I don't think those are interesting. Gosick, Golden Kamuy, The Rose of Versailles, and Phoenix are interesting.
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 9:58 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to traed
I feel they are too historically inaccurate. I only like it if it is accurate or just obvious it isnt pretending to be accurate and just going for aesthetics.
traed said:
I only like it if it is accurate or just obvious it isnt pretending to be accurate and just going for aesthetics.

But that describes the majority of anime with the "historical" tag. I too dislike it when an entirely fictional story pretends to be based on real events.
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 10:09 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to APolygons2
Historical is a big word.

I would LOVE to see a proper pirate anime, or an anime about gladiators.
APolygons2 said:
I would LOVE to see a proper pirate anime
Do you mean the Black Lagoon? By the way, can you recommend me any anime based on my list?
Added you as a friend, guy from Iran
Jun 27, 10:11 AM

Jul 2013
>do you wish there was more historical anime?

No, I do not.
Jun 27, 10:45 AM

Oct 2020
I'd love to see a historical anime based on the Crusades.

Jun 27, 11:07 AM

Sep 2020
yes i wish there were more historical anime or at least somewhat historically relevant
Jun 27, 2:17 PM

May 2022
Yeah, from what I've watched, a lot of historical anime are actually pretty good. I say yes for more historical anime being released.
Jun 27, 3:50 PM
Sep 2013
I wouldn't mind but only if they were actually diverse setting-wise.

Getting, say, a bunch of historical samurai shows would be nice at first but quickly get old, much like Isekai.
Jun 27, 3:59 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to Swyzen
APolygons2 said:
I would LOVE to see a proper pirate anime
Do you mean the Black Lagoon? By the way, can you recommend me any anime based on my list?
Added you as a friend, guy from Iran
@Swyzen Black lagoon is a fantastic show, but no I mean something a long the lines pirate of the Caribbean and black sails. Funnily enough the closest thing to a proper pirate anime is Vinland saga.

Based on your list, I actually think you'll really like Black sails, even though it's not anime. It's very similar to vinland season 1 with it's writing, has a lot of cool and bad ass characters that also have a ton of depth to them, and since it came out at a similar time where game thrones was huge, it also has a lot of sex and violence, specially at the start.

Which is good, cause the start is the weakest part, the show picks up towards the end of s1, and from s2 onward is a 10/10.

Anime wise,

I suggest Akudama drive, It's pretty action packed, gory and tragic, which seem to be hitting a lot of the marks from the other shows that you have enjoyed.

I also strongly suggest made in abyss, you might find it a little slow at the start, since it's not as action heavy, but I'm fairly confident you love it by the end.

If you enjoyed Akudama drive, you should also definitely check out cyberpunk edge runners afterwards. or vice versa if you think cyberpunk looks more interesting, both are great and have very similar qualities, even though I personally prefer akudama drive.

You seem to also like a good amount of anime that deal with time travel, to which steins;gate is the goat of. The start is a lot more slice of life-y with some sci-fi nerd appeal and great mystery writing. Which I still love cause the character interactions are gold, but even of you weren't a huge fan of that, it does pick up. and when it does, there are very few people on earth that won't fall in love.

Even fewer when it comes to time travel fans.

Oh also,

For Akudama drive and Cyberpunk I suggest the dub over the sub

and For made in abyss I suggest the sub over the dub

And for steins;gate I definitely think you should try both and see which one you like more, because both are incredible, but they feel VERY different. So again, I really really suggest watching the first episode, or at least a few minutes of the first episode in both to see which one you prefer.
Also available at:

Jun 27, 4:14 PM

Jul 2023
I would not complain if A Bride's Story was given an adaptation, if that's what you are asking, but I do not think that this is not the strongest medium for historical accuracy, and the examples offered (from Vinland to Kingdom) are all romanticized fiction, made more for entertainment purposes than to be informative. Historical is a loose term to use when talking about an anime, and creative liberties would be quick to follow. I am all for anything and everything that is visually interesting and thoughtfully written.
Jun 27, 5:34 PM

Aug 2018
As someone who's majoring in history in university, I would much rather watch historical anime than do my readings lol
Jun 27, 6:13 PM

May 2018
Yes 100%, historical anime are right up my alley. In general, I love learning true history, but I don't mind allowing a little romanticization and creative liberties.
can't yuck my yum

Yesterday, 12:34 AM

Jan 2023
Sure, I think more historical anime would be good overall, but I also enjoy the fantasy and isekai ones personally :)
Yesterday, 12:40 AM

Aug 2012
Absolutely. Though I would strongly prefer if they are more grounded and realistic. It'd be a huge plus if they were also informative about real histoical events.
Yesterday, 5:12 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to APolygons2
@Swyzen Black lagoon is a fantastic show, but no I mean something a long the lines pirate of the Caribbean and black sails. Funnily enough the closest thing to a proper pirate anime is Vinland saga.

Based on your list, I actually think you'll really like Black sails, even though it's not anime. It's very similar to vinland season 1 with it's writing, has a lot of cool and bad ass characters that also have a ton of depth to them, and since it came out at a similar time where game thrones was huge, it also has a lot of sex and violence, specially at the start.

Which is good, cause the start is the weakest part, the show picks up towards the end of s1, and from s2 onward is a 10/10.

Anime wise,

I suggest Akudama drive, It's pretty action packed, gory and tragic, which seem to be hitting a lot of the marks from the other shows that you have enjoyed.

I also strongly suggest made in abyss, you might find it a little slow at the start, since it's not as action heavy, but I'm fairly confident you love it by the end.

If you enjoyed Akudama drive, you should also definitely check out cyberpunk edge runners afterwards. or vice versa if you think cyberpunk looks more interesting, both are great and have very similar qualities, even though I personally prefer akudama drive.

You seem to also like a good amount of anime that deal with time travel, to which steins;gate is the goat of. The start is a lot more slice of life-y with some sci-fi nerd appeal and great mystery writing. Which I still love cause the character interactions are gold, but even of you weren't a huge fan of that, it does pick up. and when it does, there are very few people on earth that won't fall in love.

Even fewer when it comes to time travel fans.

Oh also,

For Akudama drive and Cyberpunk I suggest the dub over the sub

and For made in abyss I suggest the sub over the dub

And for steins;gate I definitely think you should try both and see which one you like more, because both are incredible, but they feel VERY different. So again, I really really suggest watching the first episode, or at least a few minutes of the first episode in both to see which one you prefer.
@APolygons2 Thank you very much for the recommendations! I will add all 3 anime to my list. Made in Abyss was already on my list by the way. Thanks again!
Yesterday, 5:28 AM
Feb 2014
Yes, please! I love historical anime, it's one of my most favorite genres/themes! I agree that it would be a lot better if more historical anime would come out each season, however, i for one, love when fantasy, supernatural or mythology gets mixed with the historical setting, so it doesn't bother me if they aren't completely historically accurate or something.

Of course i also enjoy historical anime without any of the above mentioned too, like the World Masterpiece Theater series, Versailles no Bara and Yuukoku no Moriarty.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Yesterday, 5:59 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Swyzen
@APolygons2 Thank you very much for the recommendations! I will add all 3 anime to my list. Made in Abyss was already on my list by the way. Thanks again!
@Swyzen Hope you enjoy, oh and just a heads up that I forgot to mention earlier, for akudama drive make sure to watch the blueray version.

The tv format has horrible censoreship for the violence, and the bluerays even has an extended final episode.
Also available at:

Yesterday, 6:35 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to APolygons2
@Swyzen Hope you enjoy, oh and just a heads up that I forgot to mention earlier, for akudama drive make sure to watch the blueray version.

The tv format has horrible censoreship for the violence, and the bluerays even has an extended final episode.
@APolygons2 What is BlueRay? Can I have a link?
Yesterday, 9:44 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Swyzen
@APolygons2 What is BlueRay? Can I have a link?
@Swyzen Blueray is a disc, think CD and DVD but the one that they have been using for the past decade or so. When a show finishes airing it generally gets a blueray release which tends to have some bonus content or extra polish. A lot of OVAs are made for bluerays. Generally, they aren't that different from the original. but in rare cases like Akudama drive, or Jujutsu kaisen s2, the Blueray has a pretty big impact on how good it is.

I will send you the link of a site that has the bluerays in messages.
Also available at:

Yesterday, 9:48 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to APolygons2
@Swyzen Blueray is a disc, think CD and DVD but the one that they have been using for the past decade or so. When a show finishes airing it generally gets a blueray release which tends to have some bonus content or extra polish. A lot of OVAs are made for bluerays. Generally, they aren't that different from the original. but in rare cases like Akudama drive, or Jujutsu kaisen s2, the Blueray has a pretty big impact on how good it is.

I will send you the link of a site that has the bluerays in messages.
@APolygons2

It's called Bluray, not Blueray.
Yesterday, 9:53 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to JoeChip
@APolygons2

It's called Bluray, not Blueray.
@JoeChip Damn, the more you know, I knew "blueray" looked weird, I just couldn't place my finger on why.

My spelling is dog shit, thanks for the correcting me!
Also available at:

Yesterday, 6:14 PM

Aug 2022
SimplyBrazen said:
I was referring to accurate portrayals of historical events or sth like Vinland Saga which keeps most facts accurate and diverges slightly to add a more dramatic effect.

When you put it that way, one realizes that the number of anime that fit this description is rather small. I don't seem to recall any notable anime such as Vinland Saga or Kingdom that matches this filter. Even anime such as The Apothecary Diaries - which seem historically authentic and have no fantasy elements - do not fit this bill simply because they take place in a completely fictional setting.

Yeah, we really do need more anime based on real events. Or at least historical fiction that incorporate real events, such as War and Peace or Les Miserables.
Today, 12:29 AM
May 2020
i think a lot of the better historical animes came out in the 1970's and the world masterpiece theatre series
Today, 12:59 AM

Nov 2018

• FICTIONALIZED HISTORICAL ELEMENTS : Every single damn DAY!!!

Nothing tops fictional elements into humanity's thousands of years of recorded history. With the right execution and unique idea, A HISTORICAL ANIME ALWAYS BANGS

• ACCURATE PORTRAYALS OF OUR HISTORY: Maybe, just maybe, anime aint the best media for its portrayal, maybe I am wrong, id gladly concur if im hit with some knockout classics from the past or so.

To add to: There are some historical mangas out there with very accurate portrayals of settings and characters from history, but they then of course go for fictionalized routes and character designs, something like HISTORIE, the same mangaka of Parasyte. I guess, staying true to historical elements in tandem with pulling in great viewership is tough in these times, who knows?
Lion_SinToday, 1:08 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is this example a harem?

rohan121 - 2 hours ago

10 by Kwanthemaster »»
4 minutes ago

» How would you describe the Mary Sue characters and how would you like them?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

48 by JaniSIr »»
35 minutes ago

» Best year of anime

kirA_-_ - 58 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
56 minutes ago

» What if, anime/ series that produced by different studio?!

nirererin - 6 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
1 hour ago

» A Goddess pays you a visit and promises to grant you a wish.

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

25 by MechKingKillbot »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.