3It was OK
8.1%
2Disliked it
2.5%
1Hated it
2.7%
Average 4.4
2,221 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2014 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Damn, I really liked the way the OST was done so far although I kinda expected it.

Looks like they're not wasting any time to draw everything in. Toka was pretty awesome. Ah, the MC got bit like I had expected. Not bad for the set up :P

All that blood and screaming yo. Anyways, I thought it was a good setup. I'm actually excited to see more of this. I feel sorry for the MC now. His life is like hell. Meat is good for you. Great episode.
Stark700Jul 3, 2014 11:48 AM
Jul 3, 2014 8:30 AM

Apr 2009
huh, they got a bit further than I expected. I figured they'd end it on Rize being killed and the effects of the blood transfusion, but they got all the way up to the Touka forcefeeding.

Good episode, though.
Jul 3, 2014 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
They skipped the coffee scene! It was still really good, tho. The animation is really nice, too. Can't wait till next week~
Jul 3, 2014 8:36 AM

Oct 2013
Excellent episode, but I'm concerned now. They adapted 5 entire chapters, counting the first one that had the double the amount of them. So basically 6 chapters an episode. It seems it will really be only 12 episodes :'(

Now, they removed a lot of stuff from those 6 chapters, but it was still super exciting and awesome. I don't believe they can do that for all 12 episodes :(
Jul 3, 2014 8:37 AM

Apr 2014
They skipped some foreshadowing stuff (Kaneki's first meeting with Nishiki at the supermarket) but other than that it was pretty good, hard to believe it's Pierrot with how great it looked.
And I'm confused on WHY they thought adding that random scene with Yamori and Rize at the beginning was a good idea. I guess I'll find out when subs come out.
And the coffee thing was pretty important to the plot, dunno why they skipped that.
Jul 3, 2014 8:38 AM

Oct 2012
That looked a lot better than I was expecting. Pretty interesting start, OP and OST were both great. Time to check out the manga, I guess.
Jul 3, 2014 8:40 AM

Apr 2009
Moonchipz said:
And I'm confused on WHY they thought adding that random scene with Yamori and Rize at the beginning was a good idea. I guess I'll find out when subs come out.

Because in terms of getting people to watch a show you have to hook them in the first few minutes, and having a naked woman eat someone and then get into a fight is a much better hook than two guys talking in a cafe.
Jul 3, 2014 8:56 AM
Feb 2011
Amarrez said:
Moonchipz said:

Because in terms of getting people to watch a show you have to hook them in the first few minutes, and having a naked woman eat someone and then get into a fight is a much better hook than two guys talking in a cafe.

yeah pretty much.

I'm hoping they add a substitute coffee scene next ep (I mean, it's really needed)...
It was rushed but I enjoyed it. the animation was really nice too, and kanahana's performance as rize was top notch, esp. the maniacal laughter before she got squashed.
Jul 3, 2014 9:36 AM

Dec 2011
Bravo. I love the dark atmosphere... and damn, Kaneki is battling a boss character right at the start!

Kana Hanazawa's voice like this, haven't heard it in a while since her character as Shiro in Deadman Wonderland. Really good.

I haven't read the manga, but I am guessing the soul of Rize will stay inside Kaneki and consume his sanity/soul on the inside.

Can't wait to see how this develops, keeping his humanity or becoming a full blown ghoul in the end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2014 9:39 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Did Funi censor this in any way?

Like how does the raws and Funi's version compare basically?
Jul 3, 2014 9:40 AM
Aug 2013
Ok, this episode was amazing. Really looking forward to this. Anyone know where I can watch it uncensored?
Jul 3, 2014 9:51 AM
Oct 2012
darn, the movie is so damn good.
i'll bet it's going to be a big hits in this year,
Jul 3, 2014 9:52 AM

Jun 2014
I haven't read the source material, but I really like this so far! It's nice to have a gory show once in a while, and I might even say this was the best first episode of this season so far.
Jul 3, 2014 9:56 AM

Jun 2013
That was an awesome first episode, this anime is going to be one hell of a ride.
Jul 3, 2014 9:56 AM

Jul 2013
that was really good. interesting start and the animation was brilliant. looking forward to more.

the opening seems good too.

this season is off to a pretty good start
Jul 3, 2014 9:57 AM

Jul 2010
I was looking forward to this and came without having any expectations for the best experience. Now though, I want to have expectations :P
Ghouls having to feed on humans!
That incident and operation made him into a Ghoul!
Kaneki refusing to give up his humanity! Toka basically shoving the food in his mouth seemed pretty cool!
The Ghoul society seems pretty interesting. Can't wait for next episode!
Jul 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Apr 2013
Awesome first episode. The action was great and I love the overall dark feeling of this series so far. HanaKana's evil voice <3
I'm very interested in seeing how the story is going to develop. Can't wait to see the actual OP because I really like the song.
Jul 3, 2014 10:01 AM
Mar 2012
I didn't like it...it was way to fast. The manga moves at a good pace and has a lot if interesting symbolic references...this felt like a very watered down version of Tokyo Ghoul.

I know it's only episode one, but it feels like this is confirming my fears that this is going to be 12 episodes of rushed story and pretty animation...honeslty I was hoping for a lot more out of this anime.
Jul 3, 2014 10:08 AM

Nov 2012
Kreion said:
I didn't like it...it was way to fast. The manga moves at a good pace and has a lot if interesting symbolic references...this felt like a very watered down version of Tokyo Ghoul.

I know it's only episode one, but it feels like this is confirming my fears that this is going to be 12 episodes of rushed story and pretty animation...honeslty I was hoping for a lot more out of this anime.

I read the manga and agree that the pace is faster than the manga, however they wrapped it up pretty well IMO. The emotional pain Kaneki went through is very well done. I still hope for coffee scene next ep :D
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Jul 3, 2014 10:11 AM

May 2011
Kreion said:

I read 1 volume of the manga and I agre with this.
So yea, anime dropped. I'm sure it won't be bad, but I refuse to watch an inferior version of the manga.
Jul 3, 2014 10:11 AM

Mar 2012
Hmm it seems promising i will say that at least, I like the intense Gore this show has, it has been quite a long time since i have watched a series this gory as it airs.

But from what i have read i am still holding back on my opinion as some people are saying they are rushing this series, I have already been disappointed before because of rushed pacing so i will see how they would continue to adapt it.

The soundtrack was good and the story plot seems interesting as well. Ghouls are not exactly one of the more common supernatural creatures to be featured so that is something new.

I just hope they don't mess this up.

i also noticed there were some, not all but some of the scenes censored, i just don't understand why showing all that blood and gore and yet u still have to censored a few scenes what is the point of that anyway?
Jul 3, 2014 10:15 AM
Oct 2013
Not bad. I hope it doesn't rush like Gokukoku no Brynhildr and have a crappy anime ending.
Jul 3, 2014 10:15 AM

Jun 2013
This was okay, I suppose. It has all the makings of another overhyped SnK mess, though. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point.
Jul 3, 2014 10:19 AM

Aug 2007
Not a bad start at all. Hopefully they can keep this up.
Jul 3, 2014 10:19 AM

Mar 2010
Looks interesting but that censorship...
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jul 3, 2014 10:24 AM

Aug 2013
This is the first Anime to air this season that I was actually looking forward to and it didn't disappoint.
Jul 3, 2014 10:24 AM

Jan 2014
I had high hopes for this series and it's so far delivering. I hope it gets better from here on out. But seriously, that bloody censorship has got to go to get the full experience.
Jul 3, 2014 10:26 AM
Mar 2012
PetitFours said:
Not bad. I hope it doesn't rush like Gokukoku no Brynhildr and have a crappy anime ending.

They've already changed it from the manga, the scene at the start with Rize and the other character isn't in the manga.
Jul 3, 2014 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
Where the f*ck the Prologue came from? It wasn't in the Manga at all... Well It's seriously awesome!
Kamishiro, Rize's (Human) character illustration was a bit off. Was she really looking fat like that in the manga? And then after she turned into a Ghoul she turned awesome scary one!

Ow Pierrot Studio cut out the "Big Girl Restaurant" scene and they straight it up to horrifying scene!!! And it's better they do it like that than putting the same as what happened in the manga.Then the scene about the little kid was removed huh? Also changing how Kamishiro, Rize and Kirishima, Touka met each that evening which is Touka was assaulted by a rapist... Well They did a good choice removing and changed/altered those scenes because it just destroys the mood when then followed it like what happened in the manga.

Well they cut out and altered some stuff which a really bothers and also they add up some of stuffs that doesn't exist which is actually great specially making it much darker theme than the Manga and as long as this will be Epic Dark Fantasy Horror Anime I will be just fine how it goes.

I'll give this a full 5/5 score for this Episode... And I can't really wait for the next episode next week!

Edit: I was wrong that this Episode just covered 2 Chapters but It was actually 5 Chapters... And yes it was rushed now... I just wish that they rearranged the scenes and put the cut off stuff on the Next (2nd) Episode.
RayzerJul 3, 2014 11:58 AM
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 3, 2014 10:28 AM
Aug 2013
This is just awesome, i think its going to become really popular.
Jul 3, 2014 10:28 AM

Sep 2013
That was entertaining to say the least. I never felt scared or thrilled at all, but damn did it ever make me laugh out loud with Kaneki's over the top freak out. Lol.

Censorship was unnecessary, but whatever, that's a nitpick. Seems like it's gonna go a route of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I am okay with that. Should be entertaining, I shall continue watching.

I was expecting some dumb gore fun, and I got it, maybe a little more too. :3
Jul 3, 2014 10:29 AM

Jan 2013
Feels a bit rushed, a few chapters covered in one episode, but otherwise it did excellent in terms of animation.

For me the only issue is the anime is the pacing, it's around 6 chapters into episode 1 so no idea on whether or not it will be more than 12 episodes, but it's more than likely only 12.

Sadly I'll never be pleased with anime adaptions, but for those who are watching Tokyo Ghoul having never read it will enjoy it perfectly fine. (Think that goes for a lot of people in terms of how they feel towards anime adaptions of their favorite mangas)
Jul 3, 2014 10:29 AM

Sep 2013
ALL THE BLOOD

i feel sorry for kaneki

Jul 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Oct 2012
I'm feeling pretty meh after the first episode, it seemed really slow at parts and really fast at others, which doesn't bode well for future episodes. Also I find it hard to believe that people we be so blasé about the fact that there are monsters running around killing and eating people, its like its an every day thing. I know its a fantasy and you need to suspend disbelief, but its making it hard for me.
Jul 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Jun 2012
Interesting first episode. Looking forward to seeing how this'll turn out.
Jul 3, 2014 10:31 AM

Apr 2014
Kreion said:

WorldInverse said:

I read the manga and agree that the pace is faster than the manga, however they wrapped it up pretty well IMO. The emotional pain Kaneki went through is very well done. I still hope for coffee scene next ep :D

ActofGod said:
Feels a bit rushed, a few chapters covered in one episode, but otherwise it did excellent in terms of animation.

For me the only issue is the anime is the pacing, it's around 6 chapters into episode 1 so no idea on whether or not it will be more than 12 episodes, but it's more than likely only 12.

Sadly I'll never be pleased with anime adaptions, but for those who are watching Tokyo Ghoul having never read it will enjoy it perfectly fine. (Think that goes for a lot of people in terms of how they feel towards anime adaptions of their favorite mangas)

What are you guys talking about? It wasn't rushed! It was actually longer version which is seriously awesome!!!
Seriously They just adapted 2 chapters of the manga in this episode so it wasn't rushed!
RayzerJul 3, 2014 10:36 AM
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 3, 2014 10:34 AM
May 2014
Well that was awesome!!! I loved it!! 5/5 great start to the summer season! The ghouls look awesome and I can already tell this will be very gory.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 3, 2014 10:37 AM

Jan 2012
It was definitely an interesting start.

Tokoya said:
Did Funi censor this in any way?

Like how does the raws and Funi's version compare basically?

I've been wondering this myself. I haven't really joined in any conversations online and I don't know many people who ever care for anime so I've never heard any discussion on this. Does anyone know how a Funi version compares to the TV broadcasts?

Mar 2012
Weird scene of Rize with that other ghoul is added (never in manga), lot of plot and character development cut from first 6 chapters.
I can already see how this adaption will be. Rush job with anime original ending. sign, my hope is ruin already.

Aug 2010
That was epic!! Too bad there's some censoring but i guess it can't be helped <_<

HanaKana with her yandere sadistic voice was friggin awesome. I really wonder how Rize won't be dead since she's in the MC list.

The animation of the fights and the gore were f***n amazing. Perriot actually did a great job.

Loving Toka a lot. So she's also a ghoul and so is Hide's friend.

Loved the denial Kaneki went through when he was eating everything and throwing it up then when he was in the middle of the street wanting flesh.

And the last scene was EPIC. How he didn't want to give up his humanity but Toka forced him to eat :O Loved the OP playing along with it.
Jul 3, 2014 10:38 AM
Mar 2012
Rayzer said:
ActofGod said:

WorldInverse said:

Kreion said:

What are you guys talking about? It wasn't rushed! It was actually longer version which is seriously awesome!!!

It bloody well was.

The manga starts much slower, there's more narration by Kaneki and more depth to the universe. The anime completely ignored the in-universe literary references, it missed out his line about a story written about him being a tragedy.

It changed how he met Touka, making her seem far more sympathetic than she is at the start of the series...it doesn't matter if it was actually longer or shorter, it felt rushed to me. And it wasn't two chapters, there are scenes up to chapter 4 at least in that one episode. The coffee bit was skipped too.

I mean how can you not say it was rushed.

May 2010
who had this great idea to put ghoul organs into a normal human? this felt off and way to convenient.

the ghoul expert on tv was albert einstein it seems.
i dont know the source material for this but it felt extremely fast paced to me.

the animations felt fluid and the art is fine

anyways..this was a good first episode and i wanna see more. 3/5

Feb 2013
A bit rushed but pretty good episode.
They skipped some stuff but I like the adaption so far.
Liked the prologue with Rize even thought it doesn't happen in the manga.
Censorship was ok I guess, not as bad as I feard.
HanaKana was amazing as Rize.

Jan 2012
I'm pretty disappointed that they skipped a bunch of stuffs... I really hope it won't be too rushed next just to get the badass moments of Kaneki...
I guess I had set my expectations too high for this >< I thought the episode was okay...
Jul 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Feb 2011
Best animation since Shingeki no Kyojin.
And thanks FUNimation for the horrible censors.
Jul 3, 2014 10:40 AM

Jun 2013
Too much edgyness :D Havn't read the manga but it did feel a bit fast paced but that's to be expected in a 12 ep series. Interested to see next episode but not expecting a masterpiece by any standards. Looking at a 6-7/10 here I think
Jul 3, 2014 10:41 AM

Apr 2013
Looks really promising.

Dec 2012
Blood everywhere!

Looking forward for next episode. I don't really watch psychological/gore shows but I think I'll start with this one.

Jan 2009
1. That was some beating that kaneki took in the 1st half

2. Not really into flesh eating but the way that ending song came in like that… gave me chills

3. funimation subs is very accurate & true to the literal translation. i would know cuz im studying japanese

7/10
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

322 by chris1763 »»
Sep 17, 8:55 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul EX: Celebration of the 10th anniversary of the anime!

nirererin - Jul 3

36 by reTIKYI »»
Aug 12, 11:35 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

521 by RGreatDanton »»
Aug 7, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

850 by Yeryin »»
Jul 31, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

431 by Magicalgirl_fan »»
Jul 13, 8:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.