Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 6, 10:02 PM

Mar 2007
Wow that was an exciting episode. I'm only surprised she didn't kill anyone, especially that asshole from the village. At the very least she could have said Good luck with them and their future wheat harvests.

And then our poor Lawrence got hosed by tacked on regulatory, administrative and transaction fees. Anyone who has paid a phone or internet bill without those knows there's added on charges, instead of the bill being $100, it's $118 because of regulatory recovery charges, 911 fees etc. Looks like even those in the fantasy world can't escape that.
May 6, 10:24 PM
May 2021
and there's the title drop :D
May 6, 10:25 PM

Feb 2016
aawww, her power is to turn into a big ass shiba inu, how cute!!!

This episode was better than the 2 previous ones, at least.

At the end: OMG THE GUY WITH GLASES SAID THE THING OOHHH WOOOOW lmao
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

May 6, 10:34 PM

Jul 2020
Another episode and another victory for Holo! A more serious Holo episode but you don't mess with Holo. Holo is so cute when she's mad.
Yarei is an enemy of The Holoist State and Holo dealt with him personally
May 6, 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
W episode

Is yarei ded?
May 6, 10:56 PM

Feb 2014
One thing that most people can agree on is how persistent the Medio Trading Company goons are with their pursuit of Holo and Lawrence, which our duo had no choice but to fight back, despite their efforts to evade them in the previous episode.

Eventually, it did lead to Lawrence getting stabbed in the arm, which did lead to our duo being cornered by the goons, led by Yarei. When push comes to shove, Holo used her trump card and transformed into her wolf form and it was a pretty awesome moment. I wasn't expecting any amazing animation from Passione, but I do think they did a pretty good job with with this scene overall. The OST from Kevin Penkin was at its best as Holo smacked the goons around like they were annoying bugs.

After this, and with Lawrence making a quick recovery, the pair are ready to set off once more. It felt fitting to name drop the series as the episode ended, especially after acquiring pepper to trade in the future. Huge respect for Milone Trading Company for helping our duo out all the way through. =)

So far, with this arc done, I'm still enjoying the new adaptation so far. Hopefully this quality keeps up as we head towards the next arc.
May 7, 12:06 AM

Feb 2022
Reply to Liban6
@Knighthammer619 chloe is not in LN, yarei was there
@Liban6 Indeed, she was an Anime only character in the original series, added so there was a bit of "romantic" tension.
May 7, 12:13 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Finally, the first Holo transformation happens; it was very nicely presented. Passione is making a good job with the reboot, unlike how they butchered Higurashi. Penkin's music during the scenes was the cherry on top.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
May 7, 12:29 AM

May 2015
It is normal if I find Holo's wolf form very cute ?
May 7, 2:10 AM
Mar 2019
The episode where we get to see the title coined. Also, Holo goes full beast mode, and not the damsel in distress. More trading info...and another beautiful episode.
May 7, 3:09 AM

May 2015
Reply to IzanaSolos
@billybub Yeah my bad, it's 1 AM where I live when this airs, so I make mistakes. The point I was trying to get across was the differences, but I was half-asleep making this, so I forgot to say some stuff.
@IzanaSolos right it being 1am causes you to mention a non existant character on 3 separate occasions. The only mistake you made was not proof reading your shitty chat gtp "synopsis" before hitting send in order to be 1st to comment. Pathetic
May 7, 3:12 AM
Feb 2012
Good episode but i can't miss "hashiru" from the original adaptation OST for the escape. Maybe it's the nostalgia but i found the scenes with Lawrence in bed a little too low budget. I could be just overexpecting from this great story XD
May 7, 3:19 AM

Oct 2020
I don't feel bad for Yarei and his friends they should have lost, backstabbers.
May 7, 4:34 AM
Jul 2021
animejas said:
Good episode and a nice way to conclude this arc. Only thing was that Yarei was not a character that did much for me in this episode and arc, even with the tie-ins that were presented in the episode for his motives, but the rest of it was very good. The transformation for Passione-standards looked fairly good, music was a bit over-the-top at times in the middle but mostly very good to bring out the intensity of what was taking place in this episode. And the ending was a satisfying little conclusion to the arc as Lawrence and Holo join up again to continue on their journey together for Holo to 'repay her debt' and Lawrence to 'fulfill his contract'. As an adaptation, for a first volume, not perfect and I still prefer the atmosphere in the first season but this was respectable to say the least. I hope the other volumes are done justice too.

One thing that was a mixed bag for me was the design of the wolf compared to the original anime. The original's wolf definitely looked more striking, intimidating and badass to scare the others away and truly showcase Holo being intimidating to human and other animals alike. This one looked a lot more 'cute' but fell flat given what was happening, and the moment with Lawrence stopping Holo from killing Yarei being a little weaker for me as a result by a touch. It was a bit distracting but overall, the episode itself was good enough to not have this be that big of an issue for me. Plus, Holo's voice acting was really good in this episode and sounded great in pure wolf mode.

I agree so much. It is my first time watching, but I like to check the original every week too, and the old definitely had a very cool vibe.
Also, transformation in the original is great, It's clear the budget wasn't there either, but the talent shows.
May 7, 4:36 AM
Jul 2021
Marmotzel said:
Who's the idiot who translated this? Lawrence's contract with Milone was that he gets 5%, not 50%. 120 out of 2400 is 5%

That explains a lot. I thought It's just the extra costs that resulted in that final reduction.
May 7, 4:55 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to billybub
@IzanaSolos right it being 1am causes you to mention a non existant character on 3 separate occasions. The only mistake you made was not proof reading your shitty chat gtp "synopsis" before hitting send in order to be 1st to comment. Pathetic
@billybub How about before starting an argument, you actually know what you're talking about? Chloe is a real person, just so you're aware. If you had read the second paragraph, you would understand that my point in mentioning Chloe was to compare and contrast the OG to the remake. You would know this if you weren’t illiterate and actually paid attention in English class. Your parents are paying good money for that bud.

Also, I find it funny that you're making false accusations against me, such as claiming I was trying to be first, when it's clear that there are two people above me. And falsely accusing me of using chat gtp.

May 7, 5:03 AM

May 2015
Reply to IzanaSolos
@billybub How about before starting an argument, you actually know what you're talking about? Chloe is a real person, just so you're aware. If you had read the second paragraph, you would understand that my point in mentioning Chloe was to compare and contrast the OG to the remake. You would know this if you weren’t illiterate and actually paid attention in English class. Your parents are paying good money for that bud.

Also, I find it funny that you're making false accusations against me, such as claiming I was trying to be first, when it's clear that there are two people above me. And falsely accusing me of using chat gtp.
@IzanaSolos everyone can see you edited your post.
May 7, 6:19 AM
Apr 2024
They did an amazing job at displaying Holo's hidden strength. The show is generally doing a great job at keeping me hooked to it!
May 7, 6:55 AM

May 2015
After a decade she is still the best girl of all! Now that the adaptation of the first volume ended I started to wonder how well it is received / watched in Japan because the whole point of the remake should be the continuation of the story after the first season ends, so if we don't get a second one because the viewing numbers says so then it wiill be just a wasted potential.
IshitatesoMay 7, 6:59 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
May 7, 7:53 AM

Sep 2013
Reply to Ehentalix
I feel like they leaned a bit too hard into dog-like features for the wolf form in this one, but it wasn't crappy CGI so I'll take it lol
@Ehentalix I agree. while watching the that scene I couldnt help to think that is a very "doge" like wolf.
May 7, 8:38 AM

Sep 2008
Watching this episode now and know what I'm in for with how things resolve in Lawrence and Holo's situation.

Just one question that has me curious about the 2008 adaptation: was there ever a reason provided as to why they swapped Yarei's character with Nora since they essentially served the same role from the light novel?
May 7, 8:41 AM
May 2023
I really liked this episode
May 7, 9:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I'm glad that in the end everything will end well for both lovers!
kekeke
May 7, 9:24 AM

May 2018
Kinda hard to tell who did it better 🤔

May 7, 10:37 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Dariat

@Dariat new version >>>
May 7, 1:22 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to Dariat

@Dariat The more I look at these two versions, the more I prefer the original. Especially with the context of the scene and how intimidating Holo is as a wolf, the other one looks like a cute dog but giant compared to the former.
May 7, 1:37 PM

Apr 2015
Oh he said the thing!!!!

I feel the story is about to true start from now.
May 7, 2:00 PM

May 2018
Reply to animejas
@Dariat The more I look at these two versions, the more I prefer the original. Especially with the context of the scene and how intimidating Holo is as a wolf, the other one looks like a cute dog but giant compared to the former.
@animejas Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. Also I noticed that the animation looked more fluid in the original
May 7, 9:49 PM

Jun 2013
I always love the moment Lawrence goes running down to the loading dock reciting the items on the invoice. Ahhh so good.
May 7, 11:39 PM

Nov 2013
Lol, for some reason Holo's wolf-fox form seemed more cute than scary :)
May 7, 11:53 PM

Jan 2008
In the end, Yarei ordered the hit on Lawrence for profit, and with the intent to sell off Holo to the church to be killed too...he really is the scum of the earth, not even his God would forgive his sins. I seriously hoped he got what he fucking deserved, but alas, the crunch of broken bones will have to do.

And FFS, Lawrence, why did you stop Holo from finishing the job? Your "friend" literally tried to kill both you and Holo. Once someone sells you out, they'd be more than happy to do it again if they could, especially if they're a merchant.

Holo looked amazing in her wolf form. Visually stunning. I much prefer this look compared to seeing screenshots of her old look, which felt more like a huge coyote. Goodbye, expensive nice clothes. She should have at least taken off the vest or something. Oh well, money can always be made again if they're alive—better to get out of that predicament first.

The paltry sum of 120 silver profit after all the expenses/tariffs/taxes/etc...feels just like my tax return; the government taking a dollar and giving back a penny. That was just the profit from the trade of silver itself, but the amount gained from the privilege sure made up for it being 1000. At least Lawrence now has some capital to kickstart his peddling business again without having to rely on his cash on hand, or at least that would have been the case...-

100 silver for new very nice clothes, and 40 silver worth of apples...and all of sudden, Lawrence is in the negative, unless he takes a small chunk out of the 1000 silver worth of pepper (excluding whatever was in Lawrence's wallet or other belongings he had on him before he fainted).

And that title name drop; perfectly capping off the end of this arc. Looking forward to next week.

@Marmotzel Who's the idiot who translated this? Lawrence's contract with Milone was that he gets 5%, not 50%. 120 out of 2400 is 5%

I missed that tidbit. Hope they fix that in the subs and release a v2. Because otherwise, Lawrence would be the greatest merchant in the world if he could negotiate an even 50/50 split in profits with zero capital investment, selling only information, while his business partner has to foot the entire cost of the risky investment.

Edit: Nevermind...120 out of 2400 is indeed 5%, but I looked back at the previous episodes to try and find more details of the contract and to refresh my memory (a lot was omitted) but what could be gleaned:

From Episode 4:
>If Milone Trading gets 10% profit from their (upper limit) 400k investment (and after expenses/deductions) Lawrence's compensation is 50 percent of that.
Lawrence's 50% comes to 2000 by his expected estimate.

From Episode 6: 307,212 silver total was invested, with the total trade amount rounded to 350,000 for exchange into another currency.
Lawrence gets 50% of the profit (which totaled 120). That meant Milone got 240 profit from the silver exchange, after the unexpectedly larger amount of deductions (delivery costs, tariffs, handling fees...etc) that was tacked on. It's like for example, a cop arresting someone on one charge, and later adding more charges after all the paperwork is said and done, but I digress.

That was for the exchange trade of silver itself. The 2,400 total profit mentioned here was likely supposed to be before the deductions, done between the Royal Family and Milone as the 2 parties. I didn't read the novel or manga in years so I may be missing some context (completely forgot almost everything) but I assume the reason he throws this number out is because the Milone manager is simply lamenting that he expected a much bigger profit...until they Royal family's merchants intervened.

That means Lawrence's "50%" is still plausible with all of that taken into consideration.

Medio's real goal was lucrative trade privileges more so than the silver exchange, which means Medio is now sitting on a lot of lower-value silver coins they need to hawk off after losing that contract with the Royal family, as they now need to recoup/minimize their losses, and thus forced to sell to Milone at a loss for an undisclosed agreed upon amount after Medio made an offer, which Milone immediately accepted. However, from the tone of what the manager said and Lawrence's "Are you sure?", the 1000 extra from that new deal would likely exclude Lawrence, so I would assume that extra grand is just an act of goodwill from Milone. Goes without saying, but that 1000 would not be part of the 2400 profit Milone manager mentioned earlier, as it would have been 2 separate contracts on the table.
Estoy_GordoMay 8, 1:09 AM
May 8, 2:27 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to animejas
@animejas Tbh even it's more frightening, the original version is literally a fox. This one looks like a wolf at least lol. Not the mention it's cleaner. But no matter what some people will still think old is better than the new ig
meyveMay 8, 2:39 AM

May 8, 2:44 AM
May 2020
Holo's wolf form is not a wolf anymore. It was Shiba inu or something like Japanese dog breed. I'm disappointed at it.😢
May 8, 2:46 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow Holo's transformation into the big wolf to protect Lawrence, well that's the good ending, and he managed to find Holo in the end so obviously their travel together continues
May 8, 2:59 AM

Jul 2017
Reply to meyve
@animejas Tbh even it's more frightening, the original version is literally a fox. This one looks like a wolf at least lol. Not the mention it's cleaner. But no matter what some people will still think old is better than the new ig
@meyve The newer one looks like a giant Shiba Inu dog to me, more the kind I would want to pet than be intimidated by.
May 8, 3:02 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to animejas
@meyve The newer one looks like a giant Shiba Inu dog to me, more the kind I would want to pet than be intimidated by.
@animejas Dog is still closer to the wolf than fox tho. But yeah, it should've be more threatening.

May 8, 6:00 AM

Oct 2016
I didn’t think we’d get much action this for this series, so this was definitely a surprise. Seeing how everyone was scared of Holo’s wolf form, even Laurence, made me feel bad for her since she gets feared for just existing. I really liked how the said the title and the end of the episode too, as a way to mark the start of their journey. (9/10)
May 8, 10:08 AM

Aug 2015
She looks like a shiba Inu in this remake, but in the old version she was a giant Tanuki, so it's not like she looked like a wolf either 😂
May 8, 12:45 PM

Nov 2019
Spice and Doge

Translations are all over the place with so many big shows airing at the same time.

6 episodes/volume feels nice, I have faith in this adaptation. Too mechanical at times, but has a heart that shows up occasionally.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 8, 4:29 PM
Jul 2022
Great episode. enjoying the new animation style but you can't beat the original.
May 8, 4:42 PM
Jul 2014
I love holo so much she paid him for the clothes 🥺 my beautiful baby :c
May 8, 4:45 PM
Jul 2014
Reply to animejas
@animejas the issue is the first one looks like a fox, not a wolf, that's why the change
May 8, 5:12 PM
Feb 2020
Uguu_Tsukimiya said:
It is normal if I find Holo's wolf form very cute ?

She looks like a dog and dogs are cute and adorable
May 8, 9:33 PM

Jun 2008
He said the thing!!!1

May 9, 6:07 AM
Mar 2020
There! They said it! The title of the story!
May 9, 6:36 AM

Feb 2021
She transformed into a beast for a moment by sucking a blood.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 9, 10:57 AM
Oct 2019
I love the dynamic between those two, it's so much fun
May 9, 5:31 PM

Sep 2016
My favorite part is when they said "it's spice and wolfin time" and then proceeded to spice and wolf all over the characters.
Truly one of the adaptations of all time.
bruh
May 9, 6:45 PM

Aug 2015
It was fine, she didn't look as intimidating as a wolf here compared to the original. I think most people who are watching this and haven't seen the original should just watch that instead, even if this seems to follow the LN more closely with Yarei
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
May 9, 9:44 PM

Nov 2022
Holos true form looks like a big ol regular fluffy dog. She doesn't look like a threatening wolf so I don't understand how the mc is still getting scared. Especially knowing that Holo doesn't lose her sense of self when she transforms Lol
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 23

97 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
2 hours ago

» Where did this season end of at?

Cneq - 10 hours ago

3 by Piromysl »»
8 hours ago

» About the adaptation

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 16

28 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Yesterday, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 22

89 by anakpnana »»
Yesterday, 7:12 AM

» Season 2 Confirmation

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 23

16 by JizzyHitler »»
Yesterday, 2:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.