Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 18, 4:04 PM

Nov 2007
I love how this show just casually introduced infant mutilation and doesn't even spend time on it. geez, this show deals with some heavy themes in such a light-hearted way, I can't think of any show like this.
Mar 18, 4:57 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Man all they wanted was just to have a good game of chess/go, but they HAD to get horny right before Lakan had to be sent away.

Am curious though to know what the outcome of that game would've been had they actually completed it; each promising to grant one wish to the other should they lose. Though with how things went down that night, I'm sure both of their wishes would've been more or less the same.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 18, 4:58 PM

Jul 2013
No doubt I'm in the minority with this one, but Lakan's backstory pissed me off. Given how good this show has been so far, I'm disappointed they went for the cliche "oh you thought this was the bad guy but ACTUALLY his backstory is super tragic-" boooo! Get off the stage!!!!

Like, yeah, obviously my opinion of Lakan has changed now, and I do feel sorry for him. It's just such a cheap and overly played out plot device.
Mar 19, 7:09 AM
Jul 2022
This anime changed my brain cells just like the novel and the maga. I'm deeply sad that next week is going to be the last episode, we need a second season!
Mar 19, 8:44 AM
Apr 2023
Been finding it a little weird that they're doing a sudden revelation that MaoMao's father is actually "good" and that all of the obvious signs and literal statements that he's bad and untrustworthy were apparently not correct 🤷

Bit weird, but still enjoying it though.
Mar 19, 10:31 AM

Jun 2021
Well well, Lakan really did mess up 2 lives, but what it comes down to is that it wasn't intentional at all, just late realization of life altering facts till the point of no return. The sequence of events are really tied up together in an interesting manner, so props to that!
Mar 19, 5:59 PM
Mar 2023
The topic of this anime has been abortion and homocide in most if not all episodes.
Mar 20, 5:33 AM

Jul 2023
Penultimate episode! I didn't expect to see Lakan narrating his backstory, but it's great. We get to see 猫猫's mother as well.

It's a sudden character shift. Prior to this, Lakan has always been portrayed as someone sinister and cannot be trusted. But now, you can't help but feel for him.

So he did not force himself to Maōmaō's mother contrary to what was hinted earlier.

Anyway, whilst Maōmaō couldn't actually win a game, she outsmarted him. Will she then be reconciled with her father next episode? Let's see.
Mar 20, 1:22 PM

May 2020
Reply to Estoy_Gordo
An interesting game of logic and wit, where Maomao was guaranteed to win by having her father trapped from the very beginning, all without any need to win the chess games.

After some searching, I found Lakan's psychological issue which is apparently a very real thing...[copied]: "A neurological condition called 'prosopagnosia', also known as 'face blindness', where individuals have difficulty recognizing or distinguishing faces. This condition can be congenital (present from birth) or acquired due to brain injury or neurological disorders." But I guess there's still a handful of faces he can recognize just fine, like Maomao, and people he takes an interest in like Maomao's mother.

Maomao's adoptive father (Luomen) is Lakan's uncle , so that would also mean Luomen is Maomao's grand-uncle. I know Luomen was expelled from the family...but I wonder if Maomao can ever reclaim her birthright from having the lineage of a noble family through Lakan. If she can...maybe she can have enough of a social status to one day be eligible to be a partner to Jinshi as a lover one day.

In the manga it should have been being sent off to a military campaign, whereas they changed to being forced to study abroad in the anime. Maybe they did this to put more of the onus on Lakan with his "mistake" of not returning sooner or realizing she was pregnant...because if he was on a military campaign, then he would not have as much control to return to his own volition.

The whole situation between both of Maomao's parents is tragic...all victims of circumstances. Speaking of the past...Lakan's monocle changed eyes. I know it's possible since I personally experienced one eye going bad sooner than the other and vice versa over the years and needed to either prioritize looking through one eye more often or just get a stronger prescription lens to even them out...but still, I just thought I'd point it out anyway.

Maomao's pinky finger was sliced off as a baby by her mother going insane after contracting syphilis. Would explain why she would occasionally look at her pinky finger every now and then throughout the series. I've always known that if it's just the very tip (that's what she said) then it can technically be regenerated...to an extent. If the nailbed is intact, then it might pass as normal looking enough at a glance, but noticeable that it's slightly shorter upon closer inspection.

Next episode...I hope it's not a recap. It's the last episode! I'm not ready...(unless they renew a sequel season).
@Estoy_Gordo
Speaking of the past...Lakan's monocle changed eyes. I know it's possible since I personally experienced one eye going bad sooner than the other and vice versa over the years and needed to either prioritize looking through one eye more often or just get a stronger prescription lens to even them out...but still, I just thought I'd point it out anyway.

Ah, since you noticed that little detail, I think it's worth pointing out a bit of trivia that the anime left out. If I'm remembering right, his monocle actually isn't real! It's just glass. It's not an important detail, but this is noted in the novel at some point.
Mar 20, 2:18 PM

May 2015
So, this is the story of a player.
Mar 20, 5:09 PM

Aug 2014
Reply to Zefyris
@RPWPA Season 1 adapted 2 novel volumes.
The 15th volume will be released in Japan in a few days. So, there's enough for 13 more cours, or 6,5 more seasons of 2 cours.
@Zefyris

Wow, I didn't expect that. Thanks for the info.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 20, 6:59 PM
Apr 2020
honestly, before this episode, I hated Lakan's Guts because of the way he looks at Maomao, but then we got this backstory and i'd say I dislike him now instead of hating him. but yeah, just unfortunate things happened all at once and Lakan wasn't able to realize things much sooner.

10/10 episode.
Mar 20, 8:09 PM

Jul 2016
Are we supposed to find this episode "good"? Because it practically ruined both Lakan and Fengxian's characters by making them act like complete idiots. Lakan for nutting inside a PURE courtesan and never realizing he could impregnate her (while also knowing the risks of a pure courtesan getting pregnant -> loss of status/practically becoming a streetwalker) and Fengxian for never ever telling Lakan about her plan of making him impregnate her so that her price could decrease enough for him to finally buy her and live together.

And on a side note, the brothel's Madam (the old hag who always wants to make Xiaomao become a prostitute courtesan) must be the most inconsistent character I have seen in a while. There is something wrong with the way she's written.

Anyways, 2/5 episode. Can't wait for this to end next Saturday.
SouthRzVaMar 20, 8:12 PM
Mar 21, 12:18 AM

Dec 2022
I never doubted Lakan's game. Maomao mama is so pretty the backstory is very saddening
Mar 21, 4:52 AM

Dec 2007
Reply to removed-user
@Piushae Tell me you're either a die hard feminist or never had a partner w/o telling me you did.

I mean they actually did sleep together because they liked each other and it was probably the moms plan to start with.

Sure you could argue that he could have realized that she was pregnant earlier on but thats really it.
@FoodstampDayo nah. I consider myself a Die hard feminist and Fengxian was no victim here.

She knew exactly what she was doing, I even believe she planned for the pregnancy without discussing it with Lakan first. Sleeping with him could be kept a secret for a while without a problem, so going abroad for a while and have her wait, would be no problem at all. also she had other valuable attributes, her purity was not the only sellable point.

High value courtesans do not need to be pure, just look at Pairin.

A pregnancy is much harder to conceal on the other hand, and it will definitely reduce the courtesan value to almost nothing.Also it's very unlikely that a courtesan gets pregnant agains their will, they have means to prevent and stop said pregnancies.

Since Lakan was not aware of the possibility of pregnancy, I don't see how you can blame him, besides what he himself have said, that he should've made the connection with her not being bought after all.
Mar 21, 7:13 AM

Dec 2022
Damn, he really was just a broken man who failed to save/notice the woman he loved was going through, Military life will do that to you...
Mar 21, 9:45 AM
Jul 2021
To be honest, seeing what Maomao's father went through in his past and how he met his mother would satisfy my curiosity at least a little, but there is a problem that I don't really care about, I feel like it would be okay if I didn't know, because I can't say that I like Maomao's father, but this is my own opinion, other than that, it was a pretty good episode.
Mar 21, 6:06 PM
May 2020
!!!WHOLESOME!!!
Mar 21, 9:59 PM

Oct 2022
They really did a good job in this episode with the direction and the intensity of the scenes! You can really see how much anguish Lakan was in when the realization hit him. I wonder if he acts scummy and puts up a 'bad guy' front because he believes that's how he deserves to be treated
Mar 22, 5:18 AM
Jul 2019
Reply to Maisan888
@IzanaSolos Personally, I find the backstory makes Lakan more understandable. He was born with a disability that made it difficult to interact and understand those around him. Both Fengxian and Lakan loved each other and they got in bed together with each other's consent. Immediately after, Lakan's father sent him off abroad (which he can't really disobey). When he learned what happend after he got back, with no hesitation, he immediately rushed to find her and their daughter. Unfortunate circumstances was what led to where their story is now
@Maisan888
The story of Lakan is one of the saddest in the entire series.

Disadvantaged from birth, despite his high status, he achieved remarkable things through his intellect alone.

His only "crime" was being born into a family that valued status over anything. So, when his uncle was cast out of the Palace (and I think most of us know who that uncle is), Lakan was cast out of the country by his unfeeling father.

The same father who left the family for his mistress, so he wouldn't go down the same path as his uncle.

And something Lakan had no choice over as, if he had defied him, he would have been cast out of his job, his life and onto the streets.

But he loved Fengxian, and she loved him and, if he had been in the country, he would have married her once he knew she was pregnant.

Being emotionally stunted though, he wasn't able to figure out that she was pregnant until it was too late and, when he did, he immediately rushed to the brothel wanting to apologize for his lack, and to save her and his child.

That she had then been "disappeared" by the brothel owner, who refused to tell him where she was, is not his fault.

Interestingly, the same blue rose he created years before for entertainment is now being used by Maomao to give him the valuable knowledge that "Even when withered, something can retain its shape".

Telling him Fengxian is still alive and closer than he thinks.

Meanwhile, I am always amazed when I read people's comments how they miss so much valuable information in the anime they watch, or "hate" a character because they don't act they way THEY think they should.

Especially in the case of Lakan who, may have a problem personality, but underneath it all is actually a very nice man.

Interested to see how the anime ends next week too although, with this being such a huge hit, and with Season 1 only finishing out the first two novels, I have a feeling Season 2 will be announced as soon as the first one ends.

There are 14 volumes out in Japanese so far with the 15th coming out next week, so a helluva lot more material to cover and, believe me, the story gets even better as it progresses.

So I cannot wait for Season 2 or for what Toho Animation and OLM do with it, as they have done a phenomenal job with Season 1.
Mar 22, 4:39 PM

Jul 2019
I never expected Lakan to be more than an arrogant jerk, but I must admit that his backstory was truly interesting. It made his character feel real and alive. Even though he abandoned the woman he loved, he still tried to reconnect with his daughter (perhaps to atone for what he'd done?), which makes him more of a morally grey chracter. It'd be great to see more of Maomao's feelings towards her parents and who she is at the core. I doubt they'll show anything of the sort in the next episode thoug, especially since the title suggests that it's going to be about Maomao and Jinshi's relationship. Nothing to do but hope for season 2
Mar 22, 7:32 PM
Oct 2021
The storytelling in this series is really next level. Lakan so quickly turned from a character that I really didn't like to someone I have sympathy for. I'm sad this season is coming to an end.
Mar 22, 8:56 PM
Feb 2024
It was a mix of multiple emotions with maomao's parent's flashbacks and her game of chess with her biological father.
Mar 23, 12:31 AM

Oct 2013
Fantastic episode. At last we could see Lakan's backstory. It appears that his smart relative who made him kind of believe in himself was, in fact, Maomao's adopted father.

Maomao is quite a gambler, not gonna lie. Her plan was risky, even if she learned beforehand how weak Lakan's head is when it comes to drinking alcohol.

Fengxian was a humble and beautiful courtesan. It's a shame that life can be so tricky. Several months turned into three years, and love turned into hatred. I bet Lakan doesn't even realize how close the love of his life is. Knowing his personality, I doubt he'd be interested in taking care of her. Even despite everything that happened.

It seems the next episode, the final one, will be a recap. I didn't expect such unconventional way to conclude a season, but whatever. The whole anime is fantastic and I don't mind treating ep. 23 as the final episode, and ep. 24 as a compilation of many awesome Jinshi and Maomao scenes happening throughout all these episodes.
AdnashMar 23, 12:35 AM
Mar 23, 12:39 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Fentastic
I love how this show just casually introduced infant mutilation and doesn't even spend time on it. geez, this show deals with some heavy themes in such a light-hearted way, I can't think of any show like this.
@Fentastic I don't think there was a need to elaborate on it. It was just a form of cursing someone, sending a message. What can be shocking for us, living in the modern times, wasn't that much shocking for people living in China centuries ago. Also, I don't think the presentation of it was lighthearted. The show depicted Lakan's surprised and curious reaction, that suddenly turned into shock and panic after he realized that those items in a pouch weren't dried plants, but fingers. And that those fingers had a certain meaning, corresponding well with the pile of letters on the table.
Mar 23, 11:43 AM
Mar 2024
Very interesting turn of events that captivated the viewers
Mar 23, 8:24 PM

Mar 2014
Damn I really was convinced he was evil but the whole time he was just a careless flake whose thoughtlessness destroyed the woman he loved.
Mar 24, 5:47 AM
Feb 2024
This episode is amazing how heartbreaking it is. Lakan’s character is very deep and more complicated than he seems. Lakan has proved to be a good person; he wants to have Maomao by his side not out of lust, as he seemed at the beginning, but because he is trying in every way to make up for the mistake he made in the past. Actually he wants to be just a good father for Maomao as he would have liked to be a good husband for Fengxian, but unfortunately because of non-communication what could have been a beautiful love story has turned into a tragedy. I hope Lakan can get close to his daughter, I’m so sorry for him and for Fengxian💙
Mar 24, 2:25 PM
Oct 2016
Reply to Dukino
I'm going to preface this by saying that if anyone defends Lakan after this episode I will personally wring their neck!!! Lakan is a heartless bastard who deserves only ridicule and shame!! He slept with Maomao mom knowing what would happen after he did. I don't care about how he was forced away by his father for three years. Lakan set Maomao mom down this disastrous path!! If he hadn't have slept with her in that moment so many hardships she faced wouldn't have happened. He got her pregnant which lowered her value and forced her to sleep with lesser clients which made her get a horrible diseases that has now ravished her body and mind. Maomao could've lived with her mother peacefully but nope Lakan destroyed any hope of that. I wish Maomao had actually poisoned the glasses during their five game bet. Lakan deserves to be punished for his horrible treatment of those around him. I hope either Jinshi or Maomao herself puts this wild dog down.
@Dukino bullshit dumb
Mar 26, 2:29 AM

Feb 2019
Lakan's background makes him a character I can sympathise with now. I thought he was just a pragmatic, cold person with an aloof facade suddenly taking an interesting in his daughter. But it turns out it was more tragic than that. That was pretty sad. But why does he think Fengxian is "gone"? She's still there, just an empty shell of her old self.

Maomao's mom was also so beautiful back then! And she had brains too. No wonder our Maomao is very intelligent. Both her parents were exceptionally intelligent.

And is Lakan's uncle the Old Man that raised Maomao? I think so. A physician in the rear palace that got exiled, after all.

I wonder what the last episode has in store for us. I hope this isn't the end of this storyline with Lakan, Fengxian, and Maomao.
Mar 26, 3:38 PM
Sep 2008

WHY THE HECK THEY CHANGED MAOMAO'S MOTHER BACKSTORY!>!>!>!!!?!?!? SHE DIDNT BECAME SICK BECUZ OF THE MEN SHE SLEPT WITH (she was healthy as they come while working, SHE BECAME SICK AFTER GIVING BIRTH TO MAOMAO SINCE SHE WAS THROWN AWAY TO THE SLUMPS AND CAUGHT SIPHYLIS THERE only after a while the old lady took pity on her and took her back and stashed her in a secret room...
IF SHE GOT SICK BEFORE HAVING MAOMAO, THAN MAOMAO WOULD HAVE HAD IT HEREDETERY (BUT SHE DOESNT: HER HAND PATCHES ARE FROM HER EXPIREMNETS)
what the scripters were thinking doing a mushpotato from the back story
Mar 26, 3:42 PM
Sep 2008
Reply to _Sanchay
FoodstampDayo said:
I mean good episode but thanks to people spoiling the novel I already knew what was going to happen these two episodes. Mao and her alcohol/poison resistance tho x) Saving the day, its kinda cheating but hey, cheating is a strat. Anime, where getting drunk happens in 5 secs. Gotta feel bad for the mom tho. Yes she went crazy but syphilis (its 1 of the worst thing you could get back then, still is but we got cures) and being a streetwalker are both just..ye.

Also I hate to go political but if you're complaining as a woman in the west it's a joke. Obviously every crime is a bad and every victim is a victim no matter what but it's not like you guys are bigger victims than men.

If we talk about the non-western world however yes I completely agree

just a question.

how did she actually get syphilis? by sleeping with others?
@_Sanchay they changed her back story in the anime about how she got the illness: in the anime they said she had it while working in the house. they completely removed the part about her being healthy as heck, she only got sick after being kicked to the slumps and getting it there and going crazy in the process which led her to hurt maomao when she was a baby (she wasnt sick before having maomao like they told it in the anime, otherwise maomao would have been born with the illness too).
the reason shes back in the house, was becuz the old lady took pity on her and took her back in so she can die peacefully
Mar 26, 6:43 PM
Apr 2019
love maomao, love xiaomao. love detective mao
Mar 26, 11:40 PM
Apr 2023
narutosister said:
@_Sanchay they changed her back story in the anime about how she got the illness: in the anime they said she had it while working in the house. they completely removed the part about her being healthy as heck, she only got sick after being kicked to the slumps and getting it there and going crazy in the process which led her to hurt maomao when she was a baby (she wasnt sick before having maomao like they told it in the anime, otherwise maomao would have been born with the illness too).
the reason shes back in the house, was becuz the old lady took pity on her and took her back in so she can die peacefully

thank you but where did you get this source of information?
Mar 27, 7:52 AM
Aug 2014
Wow, this episode kinda changed my whole opinion of him. I thought he was just an evil man plotting something.
Mar 27, 12:03 PM
Aug 2014
Reply to NoelleIsSleepy
@_Sanchay it's really sick but yeah... because she "betrayed" the brothel she was forced to accept any customer that came to her. hence, contracting syphilis.
@Noelle43

That's not really what happened.
Mar 27, 9:07 PM

May 2018
Reply to Gasaraki-
@Noelle43

That's not really what happened.
@Gasaraki- oh really? because that's the impression I got. how did you take it?
can't yuck my yum

Mar 28, 2:26 AM

Oct 2017
I knew it was gonna be something tragic and yet it still felt so sad to watch. Fengxian was beautiful, breathtakingly beautiful. Wish she could find her happiness with Lakan, if only he wasn't so dumb back then.
Mar 28, 5:03 AM
Dec 2016
never thought I will enjoy this ep I didn't expected
Mar 29, 2:23 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lakan's backstory was really interesting loved it, that's a terrible fate for Maomao's mother though, but it explains a lot
Mar 30, 5:13 PM

Jun 2014
So, now we know more about Lakan, and he came to meet Maomao's mother.

One more episode left for this season. I can't wait to see it.

Mar 30, 11:42 PM
Apr 2023
His flashback was sad
Mar 31, 2:11 AM

Jun 2020
I think I would have liked this episode a lot more if there wasn't so many source material readers "hinting" that Lakan was really not that bad. It was still nice to see how everything tied together but I just wasn't expecting to see a sob story in this anime tbh

Mar 31, 4:21 AM
May 2023
Beautiful everything
Apr 2, 10:04 AM
Feb 2015
It a bad timing and consequences, Lakan a tactician lament his own mistakes of being narrow minded although he's one of greatest mind in kingdom. Maomao ask him to buy her mother isn't it? they were in loved Fengxian and Lakan. Maomao would have the best life if not for Lakan going to study abroad.
Apr 4, 9:56 AM
Dec 2023
Great story, can't wait for season 2.
Apr 10, 9:30 AM

Jul 2013
What? So that sickly woman that Maomao was caring for a few episodes ago was actually her mom?
Apr 11, 12:28 AM
Mar 2024
Loved it, the last 5 eps is amazing
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Dec 2020
Ok the back story is revealed and when we were first hinted with clues I immediately thought of the worst. He's conniving looking, spoke about how he devauled a courtesan, maomao says a way to do so is by pregnancy and then she takes care of a woman we haven't seen all banged up and barely hanging on. So I thought he forced himself on her.

Instead it's more like ignorant abandonenment.
Apr 14, 11:45 PM

Feb 2019
now how can i possibly hate lakan now after hearing his backstory? did what happen to him before made him the weirdo he is now? still, tragic.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

120 by Sugram22 »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

165 by Sugram22 »»
Yesterday, 1:19 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

265 by rmcold »»
Jun 16, 10:01 PM

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Jun 13

68 by bassbabe »»
Jun 16, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 13, 2:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.