Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 24, 2017 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
RealityRush said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
You can write a goddamn book on why characters like these's behaviors are justified, and I wouldn't care.
Why?
Because their personalities are beyond obnoxious, contradict the tone, try TOO hard to be intimidating.
Just like how I didn't care about the character development in Flip Flappers, because I didn't care about any of the characters' personalities to begin with.

I mean, if you just hate that character type, fair enough, you do you.

I take issue with it "not fitting the tone" of Mud Whales though, as this episode is literally the one meant to set the tone. Previous episodes subtly alluded to things not being quite right despite the pleasant visuals to comfort you. There was always something in the background, and you saw it in the jittery council, the desire to ignore emotion, the blue-haired girl, etc. That laid the groundwork for this episode, which is very clearly the "tone" they are going for.

There's a large difference between, "there's actual shit going on" and, rubbing "Look how evil I am? Get it, I laugh slaughtering people! GET IT?!" to your face.
Oct 24, 2017 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
RealityRush said:

I mean, if you just hate that character type, fair enough, you do you.

I take issue with it "not fitting the tone" of Mud Whales though, as this episode is literally the one meant to set the tone. Previous episodes subtly alluded to things not being quite right despite the pleasant visuals to comfort you. There was always something in the background, and you saw it in the jittery council, the desire to ignore emotion, the blue-haired girl, etc. That laid the groundwork for this episode, which is very clearly the "tone" they are going for.

There's a large difference between, "there's actual shit going on" and, rubbing "Look how evil I am? Get it, I laugh slaughtering people! GET IT?!" to your face.

I mean, this just comes back to your personal dislike of that character archetype then. If that's the case, so be it. Presumably pink-bro will be explained so I'll withhold character judgement til we know more about him.
Oct 24, 2017 7:49 PM

Mar 2014
This show is giving off a lot of shinsekai yori vibes and I'm digging it.
Oct 24, 2017 7:59 PM

Jul 2015
Hmmm... while it was all still tragic and quite hard to watch, having the masked dudes just kind of standing in the background watching people talk and stuff right in front of them without doing anything kind of killed some of the tension for me, along with how long it took them to attack people at times. It felt a bit too slow. Episode wasn't bad though, it had it's moments, it was just flawed in my opinion.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 24, 2017 8:41 PM
Dec 2014
This episode made me drop (or put on hold depending on consensus going forward) this show . The edginess combined with the lack of consistency with the "emotionless" people and the awkward dialogue really annoyed me.

If you found this annoying too, I recommend Future Boy Conan for a similar premise that is payed off well and it is also the directorial debut of Hayao Miyazaki.
smackellsOct 24, 2017 8:52 PM
Oct 24, 2017 8:49 PM
Aug 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Himawari9 said:

They are isolated people who had never seen outsiders and conflict before so the idea of fighting back didn't come their mind. They don't have a self-defense force or even practice any kind of fighting ability. You cannot apply our normal sense to them.
The MC and his people still have room to learn and improve especially after they tasted despair.

The MC's VA is experienced in voicing characters with tragic backstory like Tokyo Ghoul's Kaneki, Twin Star Exorcists' Rokuro so I expect more tragedy and actions in the future.

This is what I hate about people online:
They excuse any criticism towards any anime with, "oh but it makes sense within logic" like the anime is about actual people, and not a fictional story, deliberately manipulated by somebody.
It's not.
A creator is free to manipulate a character in literally an inifintie ways, while still being perfectly in the boundaries of logic.
The creators could've EASILY made the actual MC of this anime useful to the plot, while STILL being a pacifist.
If every anime in existence was excused of criticism because, "it makes logical sense" then there'd be 10/10s everywhere.

It is the fact that this anime is still logical. Plenty of people don't find the MC action is out of place. If you cannot take other opinions then I suggest you stop posting online. You really are cynical.If you think anime have no logic then don't watch it. You are the type of person that think he is superior and only his opinion is right. Get off your high horse. You are just a teenager who doesn't know how the world work.
Himawari9Oct 24, 2017 8:54 PM
Oct 24, 2017 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

This is what I hate about people online:
They excuse any criticism towards any anime with, "oh but it makes sense within logic" like the anime is about actual people, and not a fictional story, deliberately manipulated by somebody.
It's not.
A creator is free to manipulate a character in literally an inifintie ways, while still being perfectly in the boundaries of logic.
The creators could've EASILY made the actual MC of this anime useful to the plot, while STILL being a pacifist.
If every anime in existence was excused of criticism because, "it makes logical sense" then there'd be 10/10s everywhere.

It is the fact that this anime is still logical. Plenty of people don't find the MC action is out of place. If you cannot take other opinions then I suggest you stop posting online. You really are cynical.If you think anime have no logic then don't watch it. You are the type of person that think he is superior and only his opinion is right. Get off your high horse.

I find it ironic how people online can plan what they say for as long as they feel like it, vs people in real life who have to reply almost immediately, yet people online, manage to fuck this up much more.

When did ANY of my posts, mention ANYTHING, that implied that this anime did NOT make LOGICAL sense?
When did I say ANYTHING that suggested that I can't take anybody else's opinion? All I said was that I hated the, "your criticism is invalid because the story makes logical sense" argument, which isn't even an opinion; it's an argument.
When did I say ANYTHING that suggested that MY opinion was "superior"?
I didn't insult anyone.

You are being a straw man, and doing nothing but throwing ad hominems at me, because you did not pay attention to anything I posted.
My suggestion: take advantage of the fact that you're talking to me online and not in person, and actually take your time and READ peoples' posts, before you reply.
Because frankly, from my perspective, your embarrassing yourself.
Stop it.
Oct 24, 2017 9:44 PM
Aug 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Himawari9 said:

It is the fact that this anime is still logical. Plenty of people don't find the MC action is out of place. If you cannot take other opinions then I suggest you stop posting online. You really are cynical.If you think anime have no logic then don't watch it. You are the type of person that think he is superior and only his opinion is right. Get off your high horse.

I find it ironic how people online can plan what they say for as long as they feel like it, vs people in real life who have to reply almost immediately, yet people online, manage to fuck this up much more.

When did ANY of my posts, mention ANYTHING, that implied that this anime did NOT make LOGICAL sense?
When did I say ANYTHING that suggested that I can't take anybody else's opinion? All I said was that I hated the, "your criticism is invalid because the story makes logical sense" argument, which isn't even an opinion; it's an argument.
I didn't insult anyone.

You are being a straw man, and doing nothing but throwing ad hominems at me, because you did not pay attention to anything I posted.
My suggestion: take advantage of the fact that you're talking to me online and not in person, and actually take your time and READ peoples' posts, before you reply.
Stop it.

You did said that you hate people online for that kind of dumb reason. Anime are still based on human' logic and behavior. The ones who wrote them are also humans. It would be actually stupid if the MC suddenly become a badass and fight against trained soldiers with weapons. An untrained person in that moment would be paralyzed by fear and shock that he would not able to do anything. That is why soldiers have mental training. And a true pacifist would never fight back. I believe the people here are not pacifists but they are people who have never seen conflict so it is interesting to see how they will change after this experience.
You have your criticism. That is fine. But you are bashing people who counter your criticism and have a different opinion from you, people who find your criticism is ridiculous. So anime characters have to act inhuman? I find this MC is perfectly fine due to his background. Of course, I still have to see if he would change after this. If his personality in the future is still the same then I would call this bad writing. And it is the fact that at this point, this is just the prologue of the anime.
You are really easy to trigger huh? Remind me of my aunt. When you get into the workforce, you find people throwing nonsense at you and won't actually listen to what you have to say.
Oct 24, 2017 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

I didn't insult anyone.

Stop it.

You did said that you hate people online for that kind of dumb reason. Anime are still based on human' logic and behavior. The ones who wrote them are also humans. It would be actually stupid if the MC suddenly become a badass and fight against trained soldiers with weapons. An untrained person in that moment would be paralyzed by fear and shock that he would not able to do anything. That is why soldiers have mental training. And a true pacifist would never fight back. I believe the people here are not pacifists but they are people who have never seen conflict so it is interesting to see how they will change after this experience.
You have your criticism. That is fine. But you are bashing people who counter your criticism and have a different opinion from you, people who find your criticism is ridiculous. So anime characters have to act inhuman? I find this MC is perfectly fine due to his background. Of course, I still have to see if he would change after this. If his personality in the future is still the same then I would call this bad writing. And it is the fact that at this point, this is just the prologue of the anime.
You are really easy to trigger huh? Remind me of my aunt. When you get into the workforce, you find people throwing nonsense at you and won't actually listen to what you have to say.

I never said that I hate people online. I said that I hate it when people use the, "it makes logical sense, so your argument is invalid" argument.

The MC being a pacifist isn't an excuse; there are countless pacifists, in anime and in real life, who are far more useful.
3 episodes of the MC having little to no impact on the plot, even if he's supposed to be a pacifist, is boring and stupid. Not helping is his incredibly bland expressions. His voice actor is so bland, that even I, somebody who rarely pays attention to voice acting, is greatly bothered by it.

Even before the Clown Inquisition showed up, the blue-haired edgelord what's-his-name was far more proactive, and should've been the MC.

"When you get into the workforce, you find people throwing nonsense at you and won't actually listen to what you have to say."
This has literally nothing to do with this discussion forum, or what we've been talking about.
Stop going off-topic.

You have provided 0 evidence of me insulting anyone, or saying that the anime's MC sucks because he doesn't fight.

All you're doing is being a strawman by making up things I've never said, and throwing ad hominems at me like a 10 year old covering his ears and screaming.
Oct 24, 2017 11:02 PM
Aug 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Himawari9 said:

I never said that I hate people online. I said that I hate it when people use the, "it makes logical sense, so your argument is invalid" argument.

The MC being a pacifist isn't an excuse; there are countless pacifists, in anime and in real life, who are far more useful.
3 episodes of the MC having little to no impact on the plot, even if he's supposed to be a pacifist, is boring and stupid. Not helping is his incredibly bland expressions. His voice actor is so bland, that even I, somebody who rarely pays attention to voice acting, is greatly bothered by it.

Even before the Clown Inquisition showed up, the blue-haired edgelord what's-his-name was far more proactive, and should've been the MC.

"When you get into the workforce, you find people throwing nonsense at you and won't actually listen to what you have to say."
This has literally nothing to do with this discussion forum, or what we've been talking about.
Stop going off-topic.

You have provided 0 evidence of me insulting anyone, or saying that the anime's MC sucks because he doesn't fight.

All you're doing is being a strawman by making up things I've never said, and throwing ad hominems at me like a 10 year old covering his ears and screaming.

You can triple 10 years old and that would be my real age.
That Ouni is the one who is acting illogical and would be a boring MC. I don't want to watch another edgelord like Sasuke. I didn't say MC is a pacifist. He is not. He is just a naive kid who didn't know anything about the world and still have room to grow. MC has impact on the plot. He is the one who found Lykos and changed her point of view, influenced her future actions in turn put whatever plan her brother has in mind to action. He is the only beside Ouni tried to fight back.
Nobody said your argument is invalid but it is ridiculous in my point of view. And Hanae Natsuki's voice is boring? It's suited with the character.
Now you are insulting me by saying I am like a kid covering his ears and screaming. Which part did I scream? I am talking normally. You said "I hate it when people use the, "it makes logical sense, so your argument is invalid" argument.", that is an insult. It showed your prejudice against us who feel that this anime is fine. I want to repeat, no one said your argument is invalid, all I did is providing a counter argument to you argument and you said you hate people like me as part of your argument. You brought your personal feeling which has nothing to do with what I said into the discussion. Well, hate me all you want. I am actually amused and not angry by your response so keep writing.
Oct 24, 2017 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Stop going off-topic.

He is the one who found Lykos and changed her point of view, influenced her future actions in turn put whatever plan her brother has in mind to action. He is the only beside Ouni tried to fight back.

He just stumbled upon Lykos; he didn't do anything for her, all he did was talk to her a bit.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku
Hanae Natsuki's voice is boring?

There's literally no personality to his voice.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku
I am talking normally.

The fact that you make up things I've never said proves otherwise.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku
You said "I hate it when people use the, "it makes logical sense, so your argument is invalid" argument.", that is an insult.

If I'm insulting somebody's shirt, that doesn't mean I hate that person.
If I hate your cooking, that doesn't mean I hate you.
If I hate your argument, that doesn't mean I hate you.
This is common sense.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku I want to repeat, no one said your argument is invalid

I love it when it's so easy to tell who's lying or not online.
I never said anything about you saying my argument being valid.
It's ironic how you claim you're 30, yet don't possess the attention span of one.
My complaint, against people like you, is excusing every criticism with, "Oh, but it makes logical sense", as though that addresses the POINT of my criticism.
Oct 24, 2017 11:20 PM

Jun 2016
Fuck. This was a very dark episode. My best girl in this show is now gone JUST LIKE THAT! Fuck. Samiiiiiiiii! ;-; This show took a dark turn and I'm honestly not okay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the people from Lykos killed almost all the Mud Whale folk just for a research and they thought that blue-haired Lykon was killed by them? Fuck you then. Even the good Lady Taisha was killed. Godfuckingdamnit. My freaking ship sank so hard. I'm not okay with this. I barely know her, but it hurts me so much. They didn't bother killing the children, too. Ohmygod! Heck, these Lykos folks have no emotions whatsoever because of THAT THING.

Chakuro carrying and talking to Sami's corpse made me cry so hard. Ohmygod. Poor Sami. She didn't deserve to die, she deserves so much more. I fucking hate thisabfkjabfiauhgind.

Ouni killing all them motherfuckers. Go, Ouni Coco. You go, Ouni Coco! ;-;

For them Skylos motherfuckers, Mud Whale is called Falaina. And that big ass boat of theirs where that blue-haired Lykos folk mission is to exterminate Falaina for what reason, assholes!?!! I don't understand why they have to exterminate people who didn't do them wrong. Fuck you. Just fuck you. I'm so fucking pissed. And that Lykos girl is apparently the sister of the commander in charge of the extermination THAT FUCKING LONG-HAIRED GUY.

The funeral scene made me cry ten times harder. Samiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! ;-;

5/5 for this episode. And 8/10 for this anime from 7/10, maaan.

RebelPanda said:
I get that violence isn't common in Mud Whale, but did all of the characters need to act like brainless idiots for half the episode? Finally, Ouni came and kicked ass

AGREED.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 24, 2017 11:24 PM

Apr 2016
This series is really great but the Direction is bad, just bad, i hope it would improve in later episode, since this is one my fav series this season.
Oct 24, 2017 11:53 PM
Aug 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Himawari9 said:

He is the one who found Lykos and changed her point of view, influenced her future actions in turn put whatever plan her brother has in mind to action. He is the only beside Ouni tried to fight back.

He just stumbled upon Lykos; he didn't do anything for her, all he did was talk to her a bit.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku
Hanae Natsuki's voice is boring?

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku
I am talking normally.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku
You said "I hate it when people use the, "it makes logical sense, so your argument is invalid" argument.", that is an insult.

This is common sense.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku I want to repeat, no one said your argument is invalid

It's ironic how you claim you're 30, yet don't possess the attention span of one.
My complaint, against people like you, is excusing every criticism with, "Oh, but it makes logical sense", as though that addresses the POINT of my criticism.

I didn't find this anime is bad so it's not like I used the logical argument to cover for mistake in the anime. Chakuro defied the Elder's order by bringing Lykos outside and helped her understand and regain human's emotion.
My argument showed what kind of person I am and I assume others are the same. I usually dislike some people online based on what they wrote so I apologize for jumping into conclusion.
You said that you hate when people say your criticism is invalid because the story makes logical sense implying I did invalidate your criticism.
Of course, I am not fully paying attention to this discussion since I am reading articles, doing assignments for post-baccalaureate school , watching TV and grinding in an online game as the same time.
And when did I lie? What do I lie for? This didn't bring me any benefit. Why do I have to lie for some trivial online discussion? The bland expression and the action of the MC is not out of place and I do not find anything unpleasant about him.
Himawari9Oct 25, 2017 12:05 AM
Oct 25, 2017 12:36 AM

Apr 2016
So, i was waiting until the actual shit hit the fan, guess its time.
Oct 25, 2017 12:40 AM

Oct 2012
I agree with many of the opinions here that this episode was disappointing. It raises a lot of questions that I don't expect to be answered and despite the bewitching visuals the directing of the show has been really weak.

When Sami died I didn't really feel sad so much as just feeling sick because she was a child, that's about the only reaction this episode got out of me, besides disappointment.

The talking during fight scenes was definitely ridiculous, but what stood out to me even more is when the group of children called out to Suou and ran towards him as if they were about to embrace him and then just stopped and cried in front of him. So much of the movement and feeling feels stiff it's hard to describe but that scene pretty much sums up what irks me about this show.

I will continue to watch it to see if it does get better, and if it doesn't I'll have a good time shitting on it. Besides the art is great and also Ouni is a badass.
Oct 25, 2017 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
Himawari9 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

This is common sense.

I didn't find this anime is bad so it's not like I used the logical argument to cover for mistake in the anime. Chakuro defied the Elder's order by bringing Lykos outside and helped her understand and regain human's emotion.
My argument showed what kind of person I am and I assume others are the same. I usually dislike some people online based on what they wrote so I apologize for jumping into conclusion.
You said that you hate when people say your criticism is invalid because the story makes logical sense implying I did invalidate your criticism.
Of course, I am not fully paying attention to this discussion since I am reading articles, doing assignments for post-baccalaureate school , watching TV and grinding in an online game as the same time.

I don't know how to respond to this.

Himawari9 said:
[quote=ThatCynicalOtaku And when did I lie? What do I lie for? This didn't bring me any benefit. Why do I have to lie for some trivial online discussion? The bland expression and the action of the MC is not out of

Can we please just call it a misunderstanding and go?
Oct 26, 2017 6:47 AM
Oct 2017
imo, this episode is a trainwreck
Oct 26, 2017 12:07 PM

Jun 2015
- for emotionless people these folks are pretty emotional
- ow, the edge
- Sasuke is the most stock anti-hero ever
- exposition!
Oct 26, 2017 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
lady_freyja said:
Rythme said:
Such a shocking and great episode. I didn't expect a shoujo anime to have this much violence, let alone PG 13, lol.

kyoudai said:
Your guess is better than mine why it's considered shoujo. It's published in Monthly Mystery Bonita, which isn't really really shoujo per se, but seems like most of its titles are categorized as shoujo here on MAL.

The Bonita iterations are definitely shōjo magazines, you can check on the editor's website, where "ミステリーボニータ" is in the shōjo section.

Seriously I'm glad, if this anime and the up-coming Banana Fish (which is far worse in term of violence and "darkness") teach some people that yes, shōjo can be pretty mature and serious.
The level of violence in Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau is not surprising for a shōjo. It's not that common, but not unheard of either.

Top Secret is an other example of very mature and dark shōjo anime.
I wish more shōjo manga like that were adapted into anime. Maybe the opinion about « shōjo » will change, at least a little.

Another adaptation of a cool, dark and not typical shoujo is Trinity Blood. But the anime adaptation wasn't as good as the manga adaptation. (it is originally a novel) Another manga that has shoujo-like artstyle (it's actually josei) I enjoyed a lot was Magical Miracal. I wish they would adapt that too. Also there is Tegami Bachi that is shounen but the artstyle could be that of a shoujo-josei.
I think that some mangaka like to draw manga that are in between and are made to be liked by both genders regardless the type of magazine they end up getting published in.
In general, shoujo that have little to no romance, can be as badass as shounen and of course shounen with elements of a shoujo can be awesome too.
Oct 26, 2017 2:33 PM

Apr 2009
The only way to stop the murderous clowns is to talk to each other. They'll just stop attacking and stare at you.

Oct 26, 2017 3:34 PM

Jan 2015
My immersion was ruined when the enemies just stand there for minutes while everyone talks. Other than that a good episode.
Oct 26, 2017 8:27 PM

Dec 2015
BEST GIRL SAMI DESERVED BETTER!!! I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER MY BEAUTIFUL ANGEL!!!

this is so tragic ohmygod
Oct 26, 2017 11:37 PM
Mar 2013
For the people from Lykos' homeland to not have emotions, that pink haired guy was waay over the top. Honestly didn't expect the massacre but it seemed kinda random as to why the military guys would even bother with them. Though I'm sure that will be explained more next episode.
Oct 27, 2017 2:49 AM

Apr 2012
I'm starting to have doubts about this show. I'm certainly hoping it will be great, but the fact we just had a Big Episode and I still have no idea what the narrative is trying to do is concerning.
Oct 27, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2015
Weirdly enough, no ones noticed how beautiful the soundtrack is. It's very rare for a studio put this much money into the OST.

Oct 27, 2017 8:36 AM

Jan 2017
Some plot holes started to arise in this episode, the direction was a bit all over the place but STILL i'm loving this.

Music is waaay too on point.
The animation is fantastic

And i loved the new characters that were supposed to be emotionless but got really exited with killing. Ryodari is so good looking like, wow, he's perfect.

AND WHEN THE COMMANDER TALKED I DIED, I DIDN'T KNOW ISHIDA AKIRA HAD A ROLE IN THIS *fangirling really hard*

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 27, 2017 11:16 AM

Mar 2017
Okay so I loved this episode. Going into it I figured that they were going to go with the "friendship conquers all" troupe. Gladly they didn't. I have to say that I love the OP and ED again and it leaves me with lots of questions for the series.

Also, music was beautifully done. They didn't use sad music for the deaths but more of an action paced tempo which made it even more sad for me. Almost like the perspective was from the poeple on the Mudwhale but the music was the perspective of the Clown dudes. So, I liked it.

The episode honestly made me cry... not that hard. I'm a crybaby. But I enjoyed it. Some people are saying that the Clown dudes make the show less serious. I think it works well 1. It is from the perspective of the people on the mudwhale so to them these dudes must have been terrifying. 2. For emotionless people they were done well and I think the mask gave them a disconnection from those with emotion. So, I thought the action was done well.

As for Lion "pink haired guy" I have two guesses on why he acts like he has emotion even though he isn't supposed to. 1. They say that he joined in the genocide, telling us he wasn't in it originally. So maybe he does have emotion? And 2. Maybe he doesn't have emotion and the way he acts is an adrenaline rush sort of thing. Because he lacks emotion Adrenaline probably does some wacky stuff. (Just some theories)

As for how they don't fight back I think thats common for a group that has no experience with war. So, I think their reactions were well done. "fix it with peace not confrontation" is a common way an underdog in a war reacts, especially when they don't want to fight.

I don't really have anything to complain about. I'd give the episode a 8/10
CamerieraOct 27, 2017 11:20 AM
Oct 27, 2017 12:39 PM

Jun 2015
I already know this anime will become my fourth anime of the year, stories like this are simply amazing.

Also, this is the second show this season that's giving me NieR:Automata vibes
Oct 28, 2017 4:52 AM

Apr 2015
Felt similar thoughts to my Sukasuka review, except this looks much much better yet has even less effective directing. A bit strange cos I felt the O;N(and probably Shigatsu for that matter) direction to be un-anime-characteristically good and effective. Watched SSR after this and the gulf in direction is plain to see

Not full of moans or anything, since I'm very ready and craving for the next episode
LanzOct 28, 2017 5:31 AM
Oct 28, 2017 5:36 AM

Oct 2013
Although it had a couple of great moments (Ouni is a badass, and the ending bit did leave an emotional impact on me), this episode was probably the weakest to me so far. A few too many jarring mood changes, such as with the pink haired guy and the sudden appearance of the jester. Also, I'm beginning to worry that this anime is rushing too much to advance the plot without properly establishing the world, characters and context more.

Even if the authorial intent is to keep us in the dark about certain things, more time should have been needed in order to make us empathize with what happened this episode with the attack on the Mud Whale. For instance, it's hard to care about Sami and empathize with Chakuro about her death when we were just barely introduced to her before she went.

I still have high hopes for this anime and hope it is the GOAT AOTS I was looking for. I just hope they pace things better from here on out.
Oct 28, 2017 5:58 PM

Jan 2014
Sad that it turned out this way, but wow I wonder what happens next tbh.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 29, 2017 5:07 PM

Oct 2012
Terrible episode... after good build-up last time they totally blew the aftermath in this episode. The suffering and kills were interesting but for some reason I felt nothing. I felt like I'm watching some horrible acting in B movie soup opera.
There were many flaws that lowered my enjoyment of this episode:

a) Action was painful to watch. Literally everyone was taking turns in their actions this time. It felt like turnbased combat, enemy soldiers always waited while Mud Whale people were talking or trying to do something, they only acted after the camera switched to them, such a horrible direction work.. o_O
b) the dialogues were all over the place, many sentences just didn't make sense and other were said in such cringe manner it hurt (like the little girl who said Ouni did nothing wrong, defended him infront of her parents... like small girl like her could even understand such concepts.. it was totally out of character and there were many other places of weird reactions, like when MC needlessly asked Lykos who she was. Lots of overdone crying to the point it was almost pathetic and the way Mud Whale people acted to killing was just bad (some of them just stayed on spot, clueless, didn't even tried to run away - I get it they weren't used to violence but not even this, really?).
c) subtitles weren't good either and there were many times when it was clear the one who translated this didn't even know what setting is this... SDF wtf?
d) Ryodari was the worst - not only was FSN Shinji type character (I can deal with that) but he was terribly written and acted - he should be emotionless as everyone else (hell, he even said that) but he talked in such affect noone can honesly believe in such thing.
e) the enemies came to the Mud Whale fortress with moment of surprise and they could easily exterminated them all while talking Lykos with them at the same yet they withdrew and lose this advantage only to leave Mud Whale people without supervision and let them regroup? What fucking logic is that? o_O
Honestly, this felt way too forced (as it was obvious and blatant plot-device for more action later), it literally destroyed my suspense of disbelief.

Sorry but after this episode I nearly lost all my faith into this series and if the next episode won't get any better it would be drop for me.

I give them 2/10, one point for their effort but it fell so flat I don't think they could save it in further episodes so easily (as now I don't really care about those characters at all).
Oct 30, 2017 12:12 PM

Jun 2014
Lol, I don't understand how people can say the directing is bad for this. The music is phenomenal and works great for the mood and atmosphere the show is going for. I loved how the peaceful pastel colors meshed together seamlessly with the very violent scenes, this show really has something unique going on, just in general, with its idea, message and presentation. This show is an experience and I'm enjoying it so far.
:3
Oct 30, 2017 1:02 PM

Jul 2014
So the show took a dark turn that I very much welcome. BUT WHY DO THE ATTACKERS STAND AROUND AND LET THE CHARACTERS MONOLOGUE??? I couldn't help but laugh as Ouni made his dramatic "duh world is cruel" speech when the 2 dudes who literally killed his friends seconds ago are standing there right in front of him. Not the mention all the time the MC was given to tragically clutch the body of his childhood friend WHILE THE SOLDIER GUY WAS STANDING THERE THE ENTIRE TIME. Hell, why is the MC even ALIVE??? The girl took like 1 bullet but its clear from the end of the previous episode that the dudes were firing shots everywhere. Theres no way he should have gotten out unscathed. The comically evil pink haired psychopath also gets eye rolls from how cliche bad he is. Lastly, I find it hilarious how shocked and disgusted the villagers get when they see Ouni fight back and kill some clowns when said clowns literally committed mass murder against their population. I don't buy this dramatic moral conflict even for a second. Being raised in a pacifist society doesn't justify such stupidity.

But y'know, at least the show is still gorgeous looking...
Oct 30, 2017 9:50 PM
Sep 2013
Andrzej2 said:
Yet another anime where main hero is a pussy. I loughted when even while being attacked this leader guy said that they can't respond with violence. I hope that main hero will toughten up and whole story won't be naively pacifistic.

While I admit that the people there are stupidly pacifistic to the point where they won't even defend themselves, it makes absolute sense for the MC to act the way he did given the life he has had til then. It would actually be more annoying, unrealistic, and Marty Stu-ish if he was just all of a sudden some kind of murderous "badass." The real important point is how he will grow in responds to his experiences. Its called character development, which seems to be missing in large chunks in your usual "insert self" type of wish-fulfillment animes that are popular nowadays.
Oct 30, 2017 9:53 PM
Sep 2013
The tanned girl is obviously the main heroine but the MC obviously has mutual feelings towards his childhood so I was wondering how they were gonna develop this inevitable love triangle but they just went and murder the hypotenuse, just like that. I suppose if they did it too late than it would piss more people off cuz it would give them more time to get attached to her; if they gonna do it, might as well do it now?
Oct 31, 2017 10:44 AM

Apr 2012
dude...
Sami...

Brutal episode. No clue why people feel there's bad directing going on. They showed multiple points of view while remaining chronogically coherent. Even delivered some information while doing it.
Nov 2, 2017 6:44 AM

Sep 2017
I feel like l should be sad about the events in this episode, and l do a bit, but it feels like this whole story's being rushed through. lf they took a few more episodes to get me attached to the characters before this episode, l think the deaths would have had way more of an effect on me. Either way, l think this is the best episode of the show to date.
MelodyFireNov 5, 2017 4:37 PM
Nov 5, 2017 4:20 AM

Jul 2009
I wonder why they are "sinners"?
Also, Lykos's brother is really a pain! And she could have told them sooner...so they all could run, it was sad to see they all dying...
Nov 6, 2017 5:24 PM

Apr 2017
Poor Sami, she's my best girl but she did not hold her anymore and she died. I was angry to Chakuro's character, he could not even fight like Ouni even though he has a power to protect Sami and himself. Ouni was so badass, I like his character.This episode was pretty heavy to watch, I am glad they did not censor everything.
Nov 13, 2017 11:21 PM

Dec 2016
This got real dark real fast, but do you know what is annoying? The fact that everyone except for Ouin and his friends are cucks who want to use "peace" when people were getting killed right in front of them with the enemies not even speaking a word. What a retarded society
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 18, 2017 10:14 AM

Mar 2014
Reactions here are somewhat harsh, I totally get the response of the victims, these people seem to have no concept of real violence and killing.

The soldiers doing the killing, I think it's pretty obvious how their not having any emotions affects their movements, and they expected defenseless prey, so there was no sense of urgency whatsoever.....if their movements really are deliberate, then the problem is not with the directing
LauraBirdieNov 18, 2017 10:20 AM
Nov 27, 2017 12:55 PM

Apr 2014
This went downhill very fast. Awful directing.
Nov 30, 2017 9:25 PM
Jun 2016
I am confused by this episode.
This anime started off so well, and looked like it was going to be unique and different, and then this episode happens. I really hope this isn't just going to be fighting, war, and more fighting... Also... the pink-haired dude was clearly showing emotion, what the hell is going on...
Can anyone tell me if this gets better and stuff is explained later on, or is this just going to be filled with plot holes and violence for the sake of it?
Dec 1, 2017 12:03 PM

Aug 2015
Sad. I didn't expect this. But, from my point of view, they seem to have emotions.
Dec 23, 2017 2:35 AM

Jun 2013
so much death it's sad
Jan 20, 2018 10:28 PM

Nov 2014
Well that was.......surprisingly brutal.
Mar 10, 2018 12:50 PM

May 2012
Damn what tragic development, especially to those suspected to be main characters! Really shame to see so many deaths here! Really great episode though, and the pacing is just perfect!
Apr 9, 2018 10:14 PM

Dec 2012
The Fire Nation are killing everyone.
Taisha is dead?
Oh shit! Right in the neck!
Oh shit! Taisha and Kuchiba are dead!
Sami is dead!
Parley? I don't think so.
I didn't realize Kicha had oppai.
Ouni is mad.
That girl in red is back. Nice side oppai.
Ouni killed em.
Chakuro...has awoken.
Dat pink hair.
Kuchiba is alive?

Taisha is dead and Kuchiba didn't get to smash. That's on him. He had a good 30 years to do it.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

95 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 24, 1:33 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

63 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

66 by RawrOMG »»
Aug 17, 2023 6:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.