Mar 8, 2:01 AM

Feb 2021
Rest in peace, Akira.
Mar 8, 2:09 AM

Aug 2021
Rest in peace sir.

Mar 8, 2:14 AM

Jan 2014
I thought my day couldn't get any worse, I was wrong. I thought it juts some distasteful joke since I first saw this news on a meme page, but no. RIP, legend.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | ๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ต๐“ต๐”‚๐“ฐ๐“ช๐“ฐ๐“ฐ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ

Mar 8, 2:27 AM
Dec 2020
Never watched or read any of his work but Rip to him :(
Mar 8, 2:32 AM
Aug 2016
Real Mystical Adventure (Makafushigi Adventure) just started sensei Toriyama. RIP.
Mar 8, 2:34 AM

May 2023
rip to one of the greatest
Mar 8, 2:40 AM

May 2015
Damn! What a news to start the day.... It's a shame that it happened before Dragon Ball's fortieth anniversary. Thank you very much for all your work Toriyama-sensei.
Mar 8, 2:57 AM

Feb 2015
68 is very young, especially for a Japanese man. Rest in peace, legend.
Mar 8, 3:16 AM
Nov 2015
It's very hard to find the words to describe my sadness!
The author who introduced me to the world of manga in my youth has just left.
I belong to the generation that was lucky enough to discover Dragon Ball on TV in the 80s, and I grew up with Gokuu.
Akira Toriyama is one of the people who made me what I am today.
Thanks again for everything you've done! Rest in peace Sensei Legend
Mar 8, 3:17 AM

May 2018
It's so good to see there's still religious people on the internet honoring our fallen legend.
R.i.p. to the creator of more than 80% of my 32 year old life...
And good luck to my old internet friend, Toyble, who later got an official job, then became Toyotarou, then became the official manga artist, and is now the owner of our beloved franchise. It's so strange to know a friend of mine owns this now... Sucks it had to happen this way instead of being passed through retirement...
Mar 8, 3:17 AM

Oct 2018
rip legend. animanga wouldn’t have reached these heights without him. o7

Mar 8, 3:23 AM

Jan 2014
completely unfathomable...

One of my childhood's fondest memories
Mar 8, 3:24 AM
Feb 2023
I still can't believe it! It's a huge shock for me and every fan in the whole World. Dragon Ball was my childhood! A Legend left us. T_T
Mar 8, 3:48 AM

Jul 2021
I haven't touch much on Dragon Ball but the amount of impact it had on the anime/manga industry is something to be treasured. Oda sensei's comment made me moved to tears.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 8, 4:01 AM
Sep 2018
I just wake up. Wish all of this was just a nightmare. I'm lost of words.
Mar 8, 4:02 AM
Dec 2022
This is like a shocking moment for Indonesian men and SE Chinese men who grew up around the 1990s-2000s.
Mar 8, 4:03 AM

Oct 2015
It's the most MAL thing ever to somehow incorporate racism into what is uncontroversially the saddest anime industry related news in a good while.

I sadly did not engage with DBZ in my life but the media I did engage with, Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest, would not be the same without his trademarked art style, possibly the most recognizable art style in all of anime. He will be missed..
Mar 8, 4:11 AM

Jan 2009
Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump were the first manga series I've read in my life. Thank you, Akira Toriyama, for introducing me to manga and for many happy moments I've spent with your works. May you rest in peace.
Mar 8, 4:21 AM

Jan 2010
Rest in peace sensei. You created a story that will live forever.

Thank you for everything.
Mar 8, 4:23 AM

Jan 2013
Thanks for everything, always in my heart.
Mar 8, 4:30 AM

Nov 2012
We would be living in a very different world without Toriyama's work. Not just anime and manga fans, but fans of animation and comics as a whole.
Mar 8, 4:35 AM
Dec 2022
https://twitter.com/SupaChronicles/status/1766050021277941997

PRC's Ministry of Foreign Affairs expresses condolences on Akira Toriyama's passing. Brought to you by the spokesperson, Mao Ning.
Mar 8, 5:00 AM

Dec 2014
So sad. R.I.P you made my childhood. I watched Dragon Ball back in the 90s and it was one of the first anime I ever watched before I knew what anime was. I rewatched it again when I properly got into anime and it never disappointed.
Mar 8, 5:10 AM

Nov 2016
Dang...still in disbelief. Watching and reading this man's creation gave so many of us tons of joy. The playground was empty since children were running home when an episode of Dragon Ball dropped. Me and my brother were so invested and we would talk about what happened with everyone else in kindergarten/school the next day. Will forever be grateful to Toriyama for these memories. He didn't just revolutionize battle shounen, his work and characters impacted the whole world. Rest in peace, absolute legend.
FMmatronMar 8, 5:14 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 8, 5:10 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I'm really devastated about the news of his passing. I just couldn't believe it. I was introduced to the world of anime thanks to the Dragon Ball series - the most iconic & most memorable anime that I've watched during my childhood. Honestly, it's thanks to Dragon Ball that I love anime up till this very day.

Toriyama-sensei will never be forgotten because of all his contributions to the world of anime. A huge thank you to him for creating Dragon Ball which influenced many inspired stories that eventually became manga & anime to this generation.

Akira Toriyama is one of the most influential figures in media history. We're really going to miss him. I pray for the peace of his soul. T_T Rest in Peace...
Mar 8, 5:17 AM

Sep 2014
RIP legend. Thank you for creating one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had...
Mar 8, 5:38 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
It cannot be overstated how great Toriyama-san's impact on the manga and anime industry was. Very few will reach this kind of legend status. Rest in peace.

staff.applicationsใ€€โ–ผใ€€
guidelines.faqใ€€โ–ผ
ใ€€

report.abuseใ€€โ–ผใ€€

thx.skittlesใ€€โ–ผใ€€
thx.kinaใ€€โ–ผ
ใ€€

[H+] ³ใ€€โ–ผใ€€
Mar 8, 5:43 AM

May 2015
You may not be here anymore, but you're still in our hearts. Your soul lives on in the people you touched. Thanks & R.I.P. Sensei!
Mar 8, 5:48 AM

Nov 2015
Rest in peace.

What will happen to Dragon Quest video games?
HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Mar 8, 6:05 AM

Jul 2017
it was too soon for him to go
๐ฟ๐’พ๐’ป๐‘’ ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐’ฟ๐“Š๐“ˆ๐“‰ ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Ž
ใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…ค๐ฟ๐’พ๐’ป๐‘’ ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐’ฟ๐“Š๐“ˆ๐“‰ ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Ž
ใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…ค๐ฟ๐’พ๐’ป๐‘’ ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐’ฟ๐“Š๐“ˆ๐“‰ ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Ž (แข..แข)
ใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…คใ…ค »[๐’ฅ๐“Š๐“ˆ๐“‰ ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Ž]«
Mar 8, 6:08 AM
Apr 2012
thank you for everything
Mar 8, 6:28 AM

Jul 2009
68 was still too early..

A legend has left us, what a sad day.

He's the person who had the most influence over an entire generation.

If you grew up without DBZ, you had no childhood.

RIP Toriyama.
Mar 8, 6:42 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Vene
68 was still too early..

A legend has left us, what a sad day.

He's the person who had the most influence over an entire generation.

If you grew up without DBZ, you had no childhood.

RIP Toriyama.
@Vene Please don't go to extremes. Dragon Ball is one of the best things to grow up with, but that doesn't mean we can blame those who grew up without it.
Mar 8, 6:44 AM

Feb 2012
RIP, a legend gone.

Dragon Ball has changed the world for a lot of 90s and early 2000 kids. Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz still a underrrated fight.
Mar 8, 6:56 AM
Aug 2021
Goodbye old friend
Mar 8, 7:18 AM
Sep 2016
This is such tragic news, 68 is still young :( I may not have grown up with any of his works, but he is truly a legend. May he rest in peace.
Mar 8, 7:22 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread cleared, I don't see how a discussion about Filipinos fits in here, please refrain from off-topic chatter and switch to your PM's/profile comments if necessary.
Mar 8, 7:26 AM

Jul 2023
I remember those nights I would run to my TV screen on Saturday, eagerly waiting for the next episode of Dragon Ball to come on. Toriyama made literal childhoods, man. The sad part is he's been gone for a week and nobody knew until now, it's tragic.

Gone, but not forgotten.

Thank you for the good memories, Akira Toriyama.

It'll all be okay in the end. If you're not okay, it's not the end.
Mar 8, 7:32 AM

Aug 2020
Rest in peace great Toriyama, Hope you'll be reading manga next to Tezuka in heaven.

Mar 8, 7:33 AM

Oct 2008
RIP, was truly and iconic figure in the art world.

Deeply concerned what his passing means for the Dragon Quest franchise.
Mar 8, 7:35 AM

Apr 2011
RIP!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’” A massive inspiration and influence to artists and creatives everywhere. He will never be forgotten ๐Ÿ˜ญโค๏ธ
Mar 8, 7:49 AM
Feb 2023
I hope he rests in peace.
Mar 8, 7:57 AM
Feb 2022
What a loss this is, I grew up with the Dragon Ball series and still play the Dragon Quest games. My condolences to the friends and family.
Mar 8, 8:00 AM

Jul 2014
F

One of the most influential mangakas of all time if not the most influential, so many influential mangaka/artists based their late 90s/early 2000s style on his, like Pokemons great early art, by ken sugimori was greatly inspired by Toriyama, in fact I'd say the rough lines and "edgy" early art *is* what made me love pokemon. Modern style doesn't call me as much.

His work will forever have defined over an entire decade from the mid 90s to the 2010s

Rest in peace king
Mar 8, 8:02 AM

Jul 2014
Reply to ryzxgum
simply grateful what he's done. without him there would be no one piece and countless other shounen, his impact is crazy. and DB was my first ever anime but i've been thinking of reading the DB manga this year and seeing other DB installations this year, so the coincidence of his passing now is wild to me, RIP again legend.
@ryzxgum

Okay while art wise it's true, it's also *not* true, Saint seiya came out before dragon ball and it was arguable more shounen than og dragon ball was, it was also a pretty large hit in many parts of the world, so other shounens would have copied the formula regardless
Mar 8, 8:20 AM

Feb 2010
As a kid from the 90s, Dragon Ball really helped define my childhood. I was one of the many kids who tried doing a Kamehameha, and watched Dragon Ball since it's first episode until DBZ's last religiously. I played with my friends as if we were characters from the series, played with figures from the many characters, collected albums, played video games and many other things.

The news of Akira Toriyama's passing saddens me deeply, much more than you'd normally expect from a man I never knew personally and was likely never gonna get the chance. May he find his way through the snake way and become more powerful than ever under King Kai's training. But he will be sorely missed. Thank you for so much.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Mar 8, 8:28 AM

Aug 2018
I can't believe it :(

RIP
Mar 8, 8:30 AM
Apr 2013
you were a father for many of us. without you i wouldn't have met my best friends who i consider brothers to this day. the list of what you've done for us would be endless.
Mar 8, 8:32 AM
Aug 2017
Om Shanti...to this great soul.
Mar 8, 8:36 AM
Apr 2013

say hello to them for us!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

10 by RobertBobert »»
22 minutes ago

» 'Hitoribocchi no Isekai Kouryaku' Unveils Production Staff, Additional Cast, Teaser Promo for Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Apr 21

11 by NewestPersonHere »»
1 hour ago

» Orange, Qubic Pictures Produce 'Leviathan' Anime for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

14 by keepinup »»
3 hours ago

» 'Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu' Season 3 Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, 90-Minute Premiere

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

11 by MrRant »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu' Gets Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - May 23

24 by iyoa »»
11 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.