Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu' Gets Anime Adaptation

New
May 23, 8:52 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014

Production company Kadokawa announced an anime adaptation of Mokumokuren's Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu (The Summer Hikaru Died) horror mystery manga on Friday.

Mokumokuren originally began posting the horror mystery manga on their X (formerly Twitter) account before Kadokawa began serializing the manga on its Young Ace UP website in August 2021. The fourth volume went on sale last December, with the fifth volume scheduled to be released on June 4. The manga series has a cumulative 2.1 million copies of its volumes in print, including electronic versions.

Kadokawa began releasing a light novel adaptation by Mio Nukaga in December 2023.

Yen Press licensed the manga in English in September 2022 and released the third volume on April 16. The fourth volume is scheduled for an August 20 release.

Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu placed first in the Kono Manga ga Sugoi! 2023 Rankings in the male readers category and was nominated for the 16th Manga Taisho Award in 2023. The manga also placed 11th in 2022 Next Manga Award in the web manga category.

Synopsis
Best friends Yoshiki and Hikaru have been stuck together like glue for most of their lives. Living in a small village and being the only children their age, the two boys find solace in each other's company. Their friendship seems picturesque at first glance, but Yoshiki has noticed a shift in Hikaru's demeanor ever since one fateful summer.

The "Hikaru" that sits beside him now is nothing like his friend. Despite his physical appearance and memories remaining exactly the same, Yoshiki knows something is amiss and that the Hikaru he once knew is gone. When he brings this up, Hikaru partially transforms into an otherworldly being, threatening to kill Yoshiki if he cannot accept it—while also professing its love for him.

Wracked with grief and unable to let go of his best friend, Yoshiki struggles to move on with his life as he finds himself getting closer to the new Hikaru. At the same time, strange occurrences begin to plague their village, bringing unsettling chaos. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Manga official site: https://promo.kadokawa.co.jp/hikarugashinda/
Manga official X (Twitter): @hikarugashinda

Source: Press Release

Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu on MAL
VindstotMay 23, 9:07 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 23, 9:35 PM
Apr 2018
I LOVE THIS MANGA SO MUCH IM SO EXCITED!!!!!
May 23, 9:52 PM
Nov 2013
AGJFJAJSJDJSA!! WORDS CAN'T EXPLAIN HOW HAPPY I AM FOR THIS! SERIOUSLY ONE OF MY TOP MANGAS!
May 23, 9:56 PM

May 2017
OMG i've been following the manga, glad this will get adaptation, hope they will do it justice, i love the manga TT
May 23, 10:14 PM
Nov 2020
I HAVE BEEN EXPECTING THIS FROM THE VERY FIRST DAY i SAW THE MANGA AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HOW CREEPY VIBE IT GAVE I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH IT I AM SOOOO EXISTED!!!!!!! Hope the studio manages to pull of the vibes well (><)
May 23, 11:10 PM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Kadokawa.... another manga that will be butchered by studio ENGI.
May 23, 11:53 PM

Apr 2012
Is this the that seinen BL manga that regularly appears in the tops and wins competitions?
RobertBobertMay 23, 11:56 PM
May 24, 12:12 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
Is this the that seinen BL manga that regularly appears in the tops and wins competitions?
@RobertBobert It appears in the tops because people who live in a circle jerk like to read pretentious psychological stuff.

:)
May 24, 1:00 AM

Jan 2019
Sounds like the plot for The Banshees of Inisherin lmao
May 24, 3:07 AM

Feb 2021
Great news! I hope that Ao no Flag gets an anime too, it would be amazing!!
MemoreMay 24, 3:34 AM
May 24, 3:49 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
Great news! I hope that Ao no Flag gets an anime too, it would be amazing!!
@Memore I can already see how much heatedly this will be discussed, especially the ending.
May 24, 8:58 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Swagernator
@RobertBobert It appears in the tops because people who live in a circle jerk like to read pretentious psychological stuff.

@Swagernator really weird comment considering this is not a particularly pretentious anime. think it appears in tops because people like it. that’s usually why people read things in my experience.
May 24, 9:02 AM

May 2024
Woah, reallly!?? It's still in it's very early stages so I'm shocked. It only has like 20 something chapters right? I'm a bit nervous about the studio though.. I'm not too familiar with their works.
May 24, 9:14 AM
Jul 2017
Reply to Swagernator

@Swagernator Bro your favorite anime is Evangelion. You don’t get to talk shit about those who like “pretentious psychological stuff”

May 24, 9:58 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to 4630_Yen_Chan
Woah, reallly!?? It's still in it's very early stages so I'm shocked. It only has like 20 something chapters right? I'm a bit nervous about the studio though.. I'm not too familiar with their works.
@4630_Yen_Chan Studio? I don't see them announcing anywhere the studio that will adapt this. Kadokawa is a publishing company that produces anime based on their manga and LN. As for the manga, although I don't read it and can't say for sure, judging by how often it appears in various tops and competitions, it is incredibly popular and critically successful.
May 24, 10:32 AM

May 2024
Reply to RobertBobert
@4630_Yen_Chan Studio? I don't see them announcing anywhere the studio that will adapt this. Kadokawa is a publishing company that produces anime based on their manga and LN. As for the manga, although I don't read it and can't say for sure, judging by how often it appears in various tops and competitions, it is incredibly popular and critically successful.
@RobertBobert My bad I thought I saw someone talking about studio. Looking back, I misunderstood
May 24, 10:34 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to 4630_Yen_Chan
@RobertBobert My bad I thought I saw someone talking about studio. Looking back, I misunderstood
@4630_Yen_Chan As far as I can see, this was just speculation. But no problem, I also periodically misunderstand other people’s conversations.
May 24, 11:43 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Memore I can already see how much heatedly this will be discussed, especially the ending.
@RobertBobert, why?
MemoreMay 24, 12:47 PM
May 24, 12:31 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@RobertBobert, why?
@Memore Please don't forget the spoiler tag. The endings of romantic titles rarely do not cause heated discussion, and then there is the shonen rom-com at the intersection with BL.
May 24, 12:47 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Memore Please don't forget the spoiler tag. The endings of romantic titles rarely do not cause heated discussion, and then there is the shonen rom-com at the intersection with BL.
@RobertBobert, sorry.
May 24, 10:20 PM
Jan 2023
LET'S GO!!! It's so deserved
Here's hoping they do the manga justice
May 25, 7:57 AM

Nov 2013
So very predictable. I mean the quality of this manga spoke for itself. It was bound to have an adaptation sooner or later. Although, I don't think it has enough material for anime adaptation as of YET!
May 26, 11:02 AM

Jun 2008
Oh, niiice. I doubt it will be on the manga's level but it's still a work worthy of being adapted, so color me excited~

watching, waiting, commiserating
May 26, 11:32 AM

Jun 2014
Reply to SAGEOFTHE6PACK
@Swagernator really weird comment considering this is not a particularly pretentious anime. think it appears in tops because people like it. that’s usually why people read things in my experience.
@SAGEOFTHE6PACK That dude always has something slick to say and I never, or very rarely, at best, see him say anything positive about anything. He'll even appear in the forums of series that aren't even on his list just to get in some kind of dig at it 💀
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

More topics from this board

» 'Kakkou no Iinazuke' Gets Second Season in 2025

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

17 by fabiandewa19 »»
32 minutes ago

» Web Manga 'Niwatori Fighter' Receives Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

26 by Vacerino »»
3 hours ago

» 'Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite' Reveals Main Cast, Teaser Promo, Fall 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Jul 24

12 by bastek66 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Haigakura' Unveils More Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

1 by 40826DToothyCow »»
8 hours ago

» Web Manga 'Shakunetsu Kabaddi' Ends Serialization

DatRandomDude - Jul 24

2 by Yudesei »»
Yesterday, 4:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.