Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 11, 2020 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This Souma vs Asahi match has a lot of high expectations. Asahi has the advantage in experience with this particular match but never count out Souma when it comes to creativity.

The foodgasm and audience reactions were priceless. I think one of them paid a tribute to the The Scream. A hell of a rivalry though. This is probably Souma's toughest opponent this season.
Sep 11, 2020 8:59 AM

Feb 2018
Looks like Yukihira's part got a good response, I can see the audience taking off their clothes ... is it a clue? The results haven't come out yet and I'm very curious about the results in this semi-final round. Will Yukihira win, hhmmm ....

Parents really has a big influence on our life.... Cant wait for next eps.

Sep 11, 2020 10:11 AM

Jan 2014
Lmao, I'm mad that we're gonna have to wait a week to find out, but still. Fun stuff.
Sep 11, 2020 10:12 AM

Aug 2013
We'll have to wait next week to see who wins.

Both dishes looked nice. Even Erina's mother has the gifting ability.

Sep 11, 2020 10:17 AM

Feb 2019
JC staff really be putting out PowerPoint slideshows every week and it’s still gas 🔥 lmao.

I enjoyed this episode a lot, it was great to see Hayama and Kurokiba who haven’t got much screentime in a while.

I got goosebumps when they both said soma was the top guy in their generation. Gonna really be sad to see this end in a few weeks.
Sep 11, 2020 10:25 AM

Apr 2014
They literally went all out for this match for Yukihira and Asahi. Like that is what I call a well done way to do a match. Despite the major issues given in this arc. I cannot deny that they did a good work on this match.
Sep 11, 2020 10:33 AM

Aug 2019
How many episodes is this gonna be?? doesn't seem like a 12ep thing
Sep 11, 2020 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Man we gotta wait a whole week to see who wins, come-on now.

The gift still gets me every time though lol.
Sep 11, 2020 10:39 AM
Oct 2019
RauMac29 said:
How many episodes is this gonna be?? doesn't seem like a 12ep thing

13 episodes and after watching this episode i've strong feeling that the 3 final chapter of le dessert will be the in final episode 13 , and too many manga readers expecting an original ending and to me i'm expecting an original scene
like they did in season 4
ithyphallic60Sep 11, 2020 11:08 AM
Sep 11, 2020 11:16 AM

Jul 2013
Souma made his dish based on what his mother could cook. That was beyond sweet.
Two episodes until Shokugeki no Souma ends for good...
Sep 11, 2020 11:41 AM

Oct 2018
CMIIW
I dont remember if there's Kurokiba & Hayama in this part of manga.
The anime actually doing amazing job modifying the small details despite the hate from the manga readers.
And I'm still hoping a happy ending for Soma & Erina.

2 episodes left, I'm gonna miss Yukihira's character so much :(
custardloafSep 11, 2020 11:45 AM
Sep 11, 2020 12:02 PM

Jun 2015
The Gifting!!!!! Was nice too see them pull this out again. You know shits going down when everyone has there clothes ripped off them.

You can tell the Noir guy is pure evil as he included shark fin in his dish. While we undergo the planets sixth mass extinction event one of the biggest travesties of our time is people who consider shark fin a delicacy. Sharks are killed enmass in our oceans. Fished up, have there fin cut off and are thrown back into the water to die. Destroying the biodiversity of our oceans and contributing to the ecological cascade effect.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 11, 2020 12:23 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They're really trying to do the biggest cliffhanger possible for the season finale, well we'll see who wins in the next ep
Sep 11, 2020 12:44 PM

Jan 2014
ok i actually liked this episode! am pleasantly surprised, it was paced well and had a sweet tribute to soma's mom. wonder who will win...!
Sep 11, 2020 12:54 PM
Jul 2019
WTF Gifting, where every audience were starting to have their clothes flying off of them????? Geeeezzz, Overratedly lame....
Sep 11, 2020 12:57 PM

May 2018
This week's episode was alright. A good part for me was seeing Alice, Hisako, Ryo, Hayama and the others again even if its only brief. Best part was honestly seeing the entire gang just spectating and narrating about Soma's match which we haven't seen since Central.
Azami's return which was supposed to be the big shock of the episode was minimized surprisingly. He was just reduced to "its your responsibility to be here" and "you tried to save Mana and Erina but failed". (Manga spoilers rest of paragraph) In the manga, I believe there was this whole story about how he met Mana and what led him to trying to save the God Tongue. Honestly, I never knew what to feel about this because it seems like the story is trying to excuse what he did to Erina as a child as a horrible attempt to save her that ended badly though I guess at the core he does care about Mana and Erina.
The match itself didn't seem that different from the manga but the worst part was the "gifting". This instance of it honestly looked so stupid. However, seeing Soma during this match was pretty satisfying from the risks and chances he takes, everyone's reactions to his dish and the story behind his dish.
My biggest concern is the pacing. As others have stated, this episode didn't even cover the end of the match. Even though we're really close , this has me concerned about how much change to the ending we're going to get. However, (Spoiler. kinda) the final match of BLUE is relatively short so the anime might speed through the rest of BLUE next episode. So to sum it up, hopefully episode 12 wraps up BLUE (though I'm having doubts it will) and episode 13 is the ending after BLUE.

Sep 11, 2020 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
the mom’s Gifting is even more overdone and ridiculous than the grandad’s.
a better episode but all the powerpoint sliding is still very vomit inducing

as stated from the commenter above, the dad’s appearance is supposed to be some shocker but it treats like as if its just some casual “hey come here and see this”
dannymilkSep 11, 2020 1:02 PM
Sep 11, 2020 1:24 PM
Jul 2020
Its raining clothing, from out of the sky.

clothing...

no need to ask why

Ya'll I've come to love this crazy fast paced season. You'll never know what'll happen next. (expect I do cause I've just got to this part in the manga ahaha)

Did you guys not see azami's little smile. omg that melted my heart.
mostly because it was so innocent.
We loooove sympathizing with antagonists( and villanous protags.), as i've said on numerous occassions

Sep 11, 2020 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
Ice cream ravioli?????

This show is absolutely insane when it comes to mixing the ingredients, that will probably only work in a fictional world, in a reckless fashion and I love it.

Nice to see some more familiar faces also.
Sep 11, 2020 3:18 PM

Dec 2016
I've imagined that Saiba Asahi doesn't know the taste of failure. I would like to see him being defeated so he can tell how it tastes like >w>

Darn, now I have to wait next week to see the big revelation >< Two gifting from Mana for the 1st and 2nd place already says everything *-* Even so, It's a though decision but I never doubted Souma! He always been a box full of surprises since the beginning :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 11, 2020 3:33 PM

May 2019
This was probably the best if not only good episode of the season, so far. The only other episodes I'd say were good were when Soma made the Christmas cake and the convenience store episode. They actually had a focus on the food, like old times. That's what I came here for.

It's obvious for the plot's sake Soma bagged this fight. But now it'll be God Tongue vs. Demon Lord. I hope that ends up being a good battle.
Sep 11, 2020 3:42 PM
Aug 2020
BRO... I CANT HANDLE THE CLIFFHANGER... I JUST WANT TO KNOWWWWW
Sep 11, 2020 4:42 PM

Jul 2017
Surprisingly this one was way better than thr rest of the season. Even though JC Staff still uses powerpoints to animate the show, this ep was far more entertaining and "old-school" than the others. Secondary characters getting some screentime, Azami as well, actually surprising food from both of them and, of course, Souma's mother, which is the best element of the whole season. 3/5 for this one.
Sep 11, 2020 5:30 PM

Jul 2013
So they didn't forget that this is an anime about food. And the pacing is actually decent for once. Enjoyable episode even though Asahi still sucks.

I think the winner is quite obvious at this point.
Sep 11, 2020 5:43 PM

Dec 2014
Probably the best episode so far this season.

Enjoyed the Shokugeki and I loved the fact that Soma chose to make fried rice of all things. It's actually such an all purpose dish and you can probably mix cuisines really well. I should probably try his ridiculous egg coating at home when I make Omurice, I full expect it to not end well though.

Nice touch with Soma's dish being inspired from his Mom. Loved the little detail with his Dad smirking the moment he heard Soma say his dish was fried rice.

Looking forward to next week.
Sep 11, 2020 6:17 PM
Oct 2017
Souma: *Cook fried rice*
Uncle Roger: *sweating intensifies*
Souma: *Use wok*
Uncle Roger: Fuh, he use wok instead saucepan... good good
Sep 11, 2020 8:27 PM

Jul 2017
for what it's worth the reactions from the characters this ep was pretty funny lol.

as for the actual match itself, was better than I thought it would be but still felt kinda anti-climatic. Like was hoping to see something to show Soma's growth throughout the series (say for instance, using all the techniques he learned from his rivals) or at least have the hype from previous battles even like the final one from last season.

i also find it funny how Soma despite being Elite #1 has been losing most of the shokugeki's in the flashback. I get dur hur Soma's not invincible, but remember the good ol days when Soma was omega OP lul
Sep 11, 2020 8:31 PM

Jun 2014
Damn there was supposed to be a whole ass backstory after the Azami reveal about
I doubt that will be included later. Also, Hayama wasn't talking to Kurokiba in that scene about leaving everything to their "head honcho" (Souma), instead he was supposed to be talking to Jun. That's not really a big deal though. Anyway, this episode was pretty decent, but the bar hasn't really been set very high this season. I think there's only about 5 or 6 chapters left to adapt so I imagine we'll probably see 2 more episodes.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 11, 2020 10:55 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
It's been a pretty disastrous arc so far honestly but this match-up was certainly quite the treat. Reminiscence of Season 4 where the season for the most bit was fine at best but then Episode 11 totally knocked it out of the park. I'm not necessarily saying that this episode beats S4 E11 though, please don't get me wrong there - I think the second last Stagiare episode takes my number 2 slot for favourite episode of the series even.

Anyway, enough about that. It's been a good while since we've seen such exaggerated reactions played earnestly and not just for the sake of moving on to the next development, and it was honestly great. You won't be hearing me say this often in other franchises when it comes to heavy ecchi moments in particular but this series really knows how to hit the spot for me.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but starting the episode with the finest side characters, Alice - Ms. Secretary & Ryo - Hayama, probably sold me from the start, lol. My biggest issue with the season has to do with the lack of these characters but hopefully whatever they're up to will convince me otherwise.

Now, on to the main topic. Keeping aside the first 5-6 minutes which was just to fill some time, the rest to follow was great! Asahi's crossed knives vs. Souma's first ever dish, it's really hard to top that and I'm glad the directing this episode was on-point. Mana-san's "Gifting" was quite the spectacle too, especially that scene of Asahi flexing mid-episode and the clothes flying around xD.

One more thing, I knew Souma was going to come up with something insane but those bewildering moments (perfectly captured by the puzzled reactions) sure surprised me too. You'd think I'd get used to it by now but no, not at all xD. And I knew fried rice was special, no wonder why I love that dish.

Definitely looking to the final decision next week! It's pretty clear already that the "Taste of Failure" will triumph but I'm more curious to see the reactions and such. Speaking of "Taste of Failure", I knew he'd challenge the 3rd years but I didn't expect such a beat-down, quite the fighter he is...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 11, 2020 11:50 PM
Apr 2018
So YUKIHIRA is a "Demon King". I like this analogy.
Demon Kings have always been my favorite in most Anime.

YUKIHIRA : Yup. This dish hides its fangs when it's first served, and then attacks the customer at full power once it's consumed. I call it Odorless Fried Rice.
Doutei-kunSep 11, 2020 11:57 PM
Sep 12, 2020 12:44 AM

Jan 2020
So now a foodgasm can give clothes the ability to fly....what's next? Clothes will become alive beings and start to cook?lol

I like Souma's phrase "I have something you don't, the taste of failure", it's the only remarkable thing this last season. Even if irl things are not that simple because natural talent is a huge advantage that can only be defeated working hard to compensate it (and maybe it won't work cause people with talent usually work hard either, sometimes even harder than anyone), you will learn more things from failure than success, it will show you how far you are from your goal and how much work you need to reach it. Despite the fact that Souma is the typical character that overcomes every important problem in front of him (plot), there's a true hard work behind his success, he faced stronger opponents, learned from failure and used it to improve his skills to a level Asahi could never taste because he became mediocre the moment he realized his skills were enough for his goals. While Asahi is stuck in his own success, Souma wants more and will never stop cause improving is what he enjoys the most.

Sep 12, 2020 12:55 AM
Apr 2015
my prediction: yukihira loses but inspires nakiri to go all out and she winds up beating asahi in the finals
Sep 12, 2020 8:08 AM

Feb 2014
This was a pretty good episode and it had that "classic" feel to it that made the previous seasons very enjoyable.

Both dishes made by Asahi and Yukihira looks really tasty and both of them were successful in making Mana unleash her own gifting powers by, of course, causing the audience members to lose their clothes apart from their underwear. XD

Azami also made a surprising return and although a part of his backstory sadly got skipped here, I'm sure he'll learn something really valuable from this match, hopefully.

I do hope that Yukihira wins this match. He was right to point out to Asahi about lacking the experience from failing. Asashi's response to that felt reminiscent to Erina saying the same thing to Yukihira back in, I think, the first season. Look how far she's grown since then, huh? XD
Sep 12, 2020 9:38 AM

May 2015
Ah yes, the GIFTHING
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 12, 2020 10:30 AM

Apr 2015
Who knew that the gifting could be even more ridiculous XD

A full episode of tasting and still no winner.. eventho it's gonna be obvious.

Also, that Dutch flag... It's funny when I saw that appear, Dutch cuisine isn't really worldy known like French or Italian. But as it was about Nagasaki and the history we share there, it was a nice touch to use the Dutch flag instead.
Sep 12, 2020 10:31 AM
Jan 2019
Yukihira using Gate of Babylon. ( First, he did UBW and now this?)
Sep 12, 2020 12:03 PM
Sep 2018
OMG was a perfect episode, unbelievable. I loved it, it was the final boss duel, you could say that. The story then the story of the mother to Sôma was also unbelievable. just wow. 6/5
Sep 12, 2020 1:12 PM

Jun 2017
I liked this episode. Reminded me of the glory days of food wars. I have no idea if jc staff changed anything from the manga but if so, it was probably for the good. I increased my rating for this season to a 6 from the 4/10 I had given before.
Sep 12, 2020 5:12 PM

Jul 2013
There it is again that gifting thing lol. But anyway the highlight of this episode for me is that fried rice. Of all the dishes cooked in this show this is the first time they showed a dish that I'm very familiar with, something that I cook myself from time to time. Motherfucking fried rice baby! It's true, you can put almost anything in a fried rice, no complaints about that. Cook it in a wok and not a saucepan cause woks are deeper and rounder, can toss the rice in it, which is not only satisfying but it even outs the flavor of the seasoning in the rice just right. And also the egg, it's not a fried rice without egg lol. But one thing I noticed is that, Soma's fried rice is fucking wet! It's shiny and gloopy! It's not supposed to look like that. Fried rice is fried, it's supposed to be dry not wet. Two reasons how this can happen, either he added the eggs on the rice and not on the ingredients cause eggs would make the rice sticky. They should be added on the ingredients while being stir-fried, rice is actually one of the last things to add in cooking fried rice. Or, and I think this is what happed given the nature of this cooking contest, he used freshly cooked rice. That's a big fucking no. You use cold rice straight out of the fridge, left over rice from the night before, not fresh cooked rice. Man, fried rice is a very common East Asian dish how come this is what they got wrong? How many other great dishes did this show butcher I wonder lol
Sep 12, 2020 5:37 PM

Aug 2017
This episode is already better than all season 3 and especially season 4 episodes together. Effort, dedication and explanation without feeling forced by plot reasons.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 12, 2020 5:42 PM

Aug 2014
finally an idea in this season that I want to use myself - fried rice, but only how he prepared the rice not all the rest
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Sep 12, 2020 9:16 PM

Aug 2017
Nice shounen moments from Soma and hot fanservice from tan Nikumi. Happy to see Alice get some screen time too. Bringing in father and grandpa Nakiri, things are hitting a climax

Sep 13, 2020 5:16 AM

Jun 2019
Souma v/s Asahi. A pretty hyped up match ends with hype as well. Can't say who'll win the match but at least we saw clothes flyin' around everywhere. LMAO
Sep 13, 2020 6:00 AM
Aug 2020
If erina marries soma. Who he name change to yukihira or stay nakiri. Also wouldn't soma get the gift that would be awesome
Sep 13, 2020 6:40 AM

Oct 2017
what a nasty cliffhanger lmao.
Sep 13, 2020 1:23 PM

Apr 2018
Damn both of the dishes look extremely good but that cliffhanger. Can't wait for next week to see who wins. Lowkey kinda happy to see Erina's father in this episode.
Sep 13, 2020 1:40 PM

Apr 2016
This episode was good, I enjoyed it. I’m curious to know how it will end but I do think it’s easy to say that the winner will be Soma.
Sep 13, 2020 2:20 PM

Jan 2016
Heh this was one of the better episodes so far. I enjoyed the match, it was quite intense from beginning to end :P And ofc it had to end in a cliffhanger xD Let's see how this settles next week.
THANKS SENPIEX
Sep 13, 2020 8:11 PM

Nov 2012
Gifting my a@@! What kind of gift is that?
I'd be mad as hell if someone sent my clothes flying over a dish I didn't even taste...twice!
Sep 14, 2020 1:37 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
The cooking was back this episode. Finally we get some actual explanation of dishes that's not completely bogus!!! Yippee!!!
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

234 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 30, 8:25 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2020

83 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 30, 7:47 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2020

75 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 30, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2020

80 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 30, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

72 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 30, 7:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.