Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 23, 2022 3:46 PM

Apr 2018
Okeanix said:
Yumekua said:
There are really people who think that Re:Zero is a masterpiece and that Monster is an overrated work?

Are we really at this level of bad taste?

You didn't even watched Monster lmao.

Don't trust my whatchlist, it hasn't been updated since 2018 (because of laziness).
It's been a long time since I've watched all the classic japanimations, including Monster 2-3 years ago.

I will update it right away.
Apr 23, 2022 3:50 PM

Jan 2019
Yumekua said:
Okeanix said:

You didn't even watched Monster lmao.

Don't trust my whatchlist, it hasn't been updated since 2018 (because of laziness).
It's been a long time since I've watched all the classic japanimations, including Monster 2-3 years ago.

Ah okay then my point stands.

Monster is simple detective anime, there is 10x better detective based tv series and books.
Re:Zero is dark fantasy anime, there is no better dark fantasy anime & manga & novel or tv series.

Monster is not even top nor close in its own genre while Re:Zero my opinion sits top of the dark fantasy. Including Novels vs other books and mangas.

I never understood why Monster is so loved, i think ending is mediocre and most of clues are pointless anime stands in same circle without single new information for 30 episodes, most of side characters are trash and unimportant. You could cut half of monster and still nothing will change, maybe manga had better pacing.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Apr 23, 2022 4:16 PM

Apr 2018
Yumekua said:

Ah okay then my point stands.

Monster is simple detective anime, there is 10x better detective based tv series and books.
Re:Zero is dark fantasy anime, there is no better dark fantasy anime & manga & novel or tv series.

Monster is not even top nor close in its own genre while Re:Zero my opinion sits top of the dark fantasy. Including Novels vs other books and mangas.

I never understood why Monster is so loved, i think ending is mediocre and most of clues are pointless anime stands in same circle without single new information for 30 episodes, most of side characters are trash and unimportant. You could cut half of monster and still nothing will change, maybe manga had better pacing.

Re:Zero, a dark fantasy anime !!!! Ayaa

What a load of crap I just read XD

Berserk, Hellsing or claymore that would return in their grave XD
Apr 23, 2022 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
Re:Zero is cringe
Apr 23, 2022 5:51 PM
Apr 2022
I created an account just to confirm that Re:Zero is indeed cringe af
Apr 23, 2022 10:11 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, what an episode! Loving this so far, can't wait for more.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 24, 2022 1:29 AM
Apr 2022
Spcshpinsky said:
I created an account just to confirm that Re:Zero is indeed cringe af

Creating an acount just to say something is cringe is cringe af
Apr 24, 2022 2:24 AM

Oct 2021
Re-watched this ep. It really is similar with Re:Zero's Return by Death ability of the MC. The difference is that this MC is not cringe and stupid (so far).
Apr 24, 2022 5:34 AM
Jun 2017
Lets Go.. Atleast now he is having some idea of what is happening right there
Apr 24, 2022 7:25 AM

May 2009
Hoping for shimapan in every episode.
Apr 24, 2022 10:48 AM
Mar 2015
its deja vous all over again
Apr 24, 2022 2:15 PM

Dec 2014
The, "this isn't America" definitely cracked me up.

Part me believes that this is all some weird simulation loop given the effects and rather strange way the copy happens with the old body almost disintegrating.

Overall, another promising episode. This good turn out to be really good.
Apr 24, 2022 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
It's like Re:Zero met Higurashi and had a baby.

Apr 24, 2022 6:37 PM
Jul 2020
Good, it's rare to see an anime like this after so many isekai releases. I think I will like it, not inferior to other anime. 8/10

Apr 25, 2022 2:36 AM

Sep 2009
This show seems super interesting :) happy to see how everything unfolds.
Reminds me of movies like source code and groundhogs day!

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Apr 25, 2022 8:01 AM

Jul 2009
aha, I noticed last ep in his flashback shinpei's eyes were both the same colour! Strange that none of his friends or family have commented on one of his eyes literally changing colour......

also "he's already..." he's already what?? a copy?

i hope everybody stops talking about re:zero soon lol
Apr 25, 2022 9:22 AM

Jul 2016
Dying painfully to time leap, time leapers have it rough. (⊙‿⊙)

This indeed has supernatural entity, the shadows. Shadow replacing yourself and poses as you, and acts like you, that was creepy. ('◉⌓◉')

Shinpei adapting to his time leap situation early on. Good job. Looking forward to his discoveries regarding this mystery.(つ✧ω✧)つ
Apr 25, 2022 12:15 PM

Jan 2022
Hey hey hey I hope they'd add even more mystery that could give me goosebumps or send me beating the sh*t out of my head
Apr 25, 2022 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
ZNoteTaku said:
The obvious comparison one could make between Shinpei and another anime character is Subaru from Re:Zero. The main difference in their character backgrounds and actual situations however are VITAL in making them entirely separate - Subaru's background is, compared to our own, relatively ordinary. As such, the idea of being able to be reborn or go back in time in some fashion is something that one could more easily chalk up to a dream or crazy hallucination. Also, let's be reasonable - I don't think everyone would immediately jump to the "OMG I can loop time" conclusion.

To contrast this, Shinpei was born and raised on the island. As a result, he is more privy to and more likely to listen to the folklore surrounding the island and its spirits / populace. It is, to use another word, more engrained in his cultural upbringing than someone like Subaru, who didn't grow up in such a place. Plus, he was not simply "plucked" and put somewhere else - he is reborn into the world he already knows, with the exact same circumstances that brought Shinpei to the island in the first place (the death of Ushio).

I want to make it clear that this is NOT a comparison between "which character is better." Rather, it's just a demonstration that the knee-jerk comparison is perhaps not as clean-cut as we might like to think.

Solid points! And you know, now that you say that, I kind of wish they'd play up Shinpei being from the island more as directly impacting the events happening. Sure, he gives us overviews of some of the modern fare and whatnot, but it doesn't really seem like his island knowledge is connecting to these mysterious events in any meaningful way (at least, not so far).

For example, if he knew something special about the little girl's family (being a smaller community) that goes missing that would contradict the idea that they were in debt, thus making their disappearance in episode 1 more sinister/questionable to him, that could have been cool. If he took some interesting or special action at the shrine that demonstrates the superstitious beliefs of the island, that would have emphasized how tied to the odd and unknown everyone is (and also made his quick adaptation more understandable). It's weird now, come to think of it, that both Mio and Ushio knew the shadows legend, but Shinpei, who was brought into their family did not.

Basically, I love the point you raise and would hope the show would integrate that more directly into the plot/atmosphere.

Liking the lady with the glasses more. Although, got to say, she's kind of feeling like a bit of a rip off of FBI agent Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks now. Wonder if the mangaka and/or director (not sure how accurate she is from the manga) was a fan of that show.
Apr 26, 2022 12:56 AM

Aug 2011
Huh I guess there are super natural shenanigan's on that island.

Apr 26, 2022 1:18 AM

Dec 2008
I considered dropping that anime after episode 1, because the shooting looked super brutal and like exploitation horror at the end. Glad that our MC is able to learn and prevented not only his own third death, he also saved the policeman and underage tanline girl on this day.

I liked the eerie atmosphere when the shadow stand before the house and didn't enter.
Quite a scary ability to let corpses dissolve into thin air. This has a lot of potential and the episode amount should be good enough to tell a good story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2022 7:46 AM

Jan 2022
I love the eeriness of it all, also love that the mc is actually like doing something and isn't the annoying whiney type

really can't wait to see this all unfold
Apr 26, 2022 10:44 AM

Jan 2013
That shadow really doesn't hold back on killing does it. Scary stuff going on there in that island. The main character is very fun to follow, his character is on point

Also love the America joke. So good
Apr 26, 2022 6:36 PM

Jun 2019
Still interesting. I didn’t think the Mio shadow replaced the police officer so that was unexpected.

The editing continues to be the main issue with this anime. How it hid the gore was distracting and how scenes start and end on a dime makes this anime feel more unpolished. It’s likely to not give away too much this early, but it’s still causes the early episodes to suffer.

Nevertheless, this anime has the highest potential of all the debuts this season (outside of Spy x Family).
Apr 26, 2022 10:51 PM

Jul 2019
So in comparison to EP1 now we know how the shadow substitution process goes, Mio achknowledges her own shadow and booba girl is on a mission connected with shadows galore. Plus Sinpei's eye changed (not sure at what exact moment) and that should be some kind of Ushio spirit flowing inside his astral.

Apr 27, 2022 1:46 PM

Mar 2014
Okay so we got a guy with reset power and doppelgangers who are killing people and replacing them... Hmm interesting

Apr 28, 2022 1:45 PM
May 2020
The slow but steady increase of terror and horror has got my bones tingling
Apr 29, 2022 3:19 AM
Aug 2021
I noticed the show uses a lot of real-life scenes for example in the Ending Song.
Apr 30, 2022 11:10 AM

Jul 2015
I'm pumped to have another show come out in years that is incredibly reminicient of BOTH Umineko no naku koro ni and Steins;Gate. Super excited to see how this show goes
Have a healthy, happy, day of hilarity!

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

May 4, 2022 1:25 AM

Oct 2017
LMAO ok it's confirmed.
This show is basically REZERO now due to the supernatural nature of thing.
A normal protag-kun having the ability to return from death vs Overpowered supernatural creature.

I was expecting this show to be subtle mystery with more ground to reality thing like Steins Gate but nah, is supernatural.
I aint complaining though.
May 6, 2022 10:05 AM

Dec 2016
It really is creepy. Those stabbing and shooting scenes really gives me the goosebumps.

That lady seems to have the same powers as Shinpei. But she definitely knows more about whatever is going on. I wonder when Shinpei's gonna team up with this lady.

The Shiori in the funeral could have been the shadow, the real Shiori must have been killed way before. Also if after killing someone their shadow is born then what about the superstition that someone dies when they see their own shadow.

After this episode this seems like a mixture of ID:invaded and a little bit of Tokyo 24th Ward.
Rickydory123May 6, 2022 10:15 AM
May 12, 2022 2:51 AM

Jul 2021
Ah shit, seems like Shinpie is going to suffer the same fate as Subaru, let the suffering commence.

Shinpie was pretty smart to do what he did and was easily able to survie 22nd July.

Also I think the lady knows about the shadows as well, would be nice if Shin and her get to know each other soon. Pretty interesting episode again. 5/5.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 13, 2022 8:20 PM

May 2015
We've figured out how the shadows steal appearances and replicate! They also have quite the way of getting rid of evidence. Pretty spooky over-all. We still don't know what exactly they want, or what they gain from replacing people in town though. I'm excited to see whats next.
May 17, 2022 11:10 AM

Jan 2013
As a follow up to watching the series with a friend of mine, I felt amazing going into this episode. I dunno how many of yall watched mystery cartoons as a kid and enjoyed solving the mystery before it even showed up... well, I made calls at the end of episode 1 that turned out to be proven true during this episode and I loved it!

Reacting and Reviewing new anime every season!
May 26, 2022 2:42 PM

Dec 2018
...so where is ushios shadow? or can they only take over so many at a time?
May 28, 2022 1:08 PM

Aug 2019
MC dying over and over again but is Ushio never coming back. I mean I guess she’s completely dead.

I’m loving the mystery.
Jun 6, 2022 7:10 PM
Jan 2021
Amazing episode! Goddamn
Jun 11, 2022 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
Natsude_tanaka said:
AcceleratorAngel said:

What did they censor mate?

the sex and etc basically disney dont like 18+ material

Damn, between whom lol.
Jun 19, 2022 12:50 PM

Mar 2010
Not sure what else he could have done... but helping Mio not fall into the water backfired lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 28, 2022 10:01 AM

May 2016
I wish they stop using Mio as fanservice already, I'm already hooked on the theme also the
fact that its happening on island of 700 people gives it more mysterious feeling.
Jul 6, 2022 3:16 AM

Dec 2021
Man this anime is so interesting. I wonder what theyre gonna do about Mio’s Shadow?

Also a lot of fan service xD

Jul 8, 2022 12:25 AM

Apr 2020
It's not America.
I don't know how signatures work

Jul 10, 2022 1:12 PM

Jan 2020
Shin, what do you mean when did your eye change color? Has he been looping longer than he realizes? We have to assume that has something to do with either the reason he is resetting or is somehow connected to the Shadows in someway.

I don't know what he thought was going to happen by jumping in front of Mio's bike. I pretty much lost it when he fell in the ocean and was like, "I can't swim." It worked out, but I wonder if there are an accidental redos in stories like these that go on behind the scenes? Like outtakes of Re:Zero or ERASED where the MC like trips and breaks their neck on accident.

Anyway, things are getting crazier with each episode. I guess it's toned down a bit from the manga, so I'll probably end up binging the manga either after this finishes airing, or if things get too intense I'll just start reading it while waiting for new episodes.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 15, 2022 5:36 PM
Jan 2022
Ohhhh yeahhhh getting hella Re:Zero vibes from this anime, that's not a complaint though its just such an intriguing mystery!
Jul 16, 2022 8:43 AM
Oct 2019
"This ain't America." bruhh

So that's why the cop in the first episode was sus and how Shadow Mio got the handgun.
Also the Flash was from the Shadow copying body?
Still wondering who is that glasses girl and what is her role here.
Jul 19, 2022 10:14 PM

Jan 2011
aight this second ep was better tha the first, ithink i might get hooked on this show, im glad the mc isnt acting stupid towards this situation but i wished he payed attention to the flash when he was in the ceremony
i guess we having at least one Mio fanservice shot each ep
silversaintJul 19, 2022 10:19 PM
Jul 20, 2022 7:13 AM

Feb 2021
Why does this look like Steins Gate? I still love it anyway XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 3, 2022 8:01 AM
Aug 2022
Can anyone explain why the inn owner on episode one told him he was looking for oppai lady if he haven't figured out timelooping?

And who did the shadow copied on the funeral?
Aug 13, 2022 4:13 PM

May 2020
I'm liking SR so far, but I could do without the time loops. I've seen the gimmick plenty of times in other media, and the mystery is already interesting enough on its own.
Aug 15, 2022 11:22 AM

Jun 2019
Oh boy... things are getting more and more interesting. Shin died on 22nd but then managed to survive later on and he also told Mio. So, I help something else happen instead of them dying again.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2022

180 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Jun 25, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 12, 2022

152 by infring »»
Jun 19, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

476 by DynaXam »»
Jun 11, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2022

82 by yusufonur98 »»
May 31, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2022

200 by jaesverse »»
May 24, 1:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.