Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 17, 2021 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A vampire having a fear of heights...lol

Well, at least Irina did well from her training. At any rate, she'd have to get used to high places if she wants to be an astronaut. It seems they're still building her character through training and personality.

Oct 17, 2021 10:03 AM

Jun 2019
So... it's been ten whole days since Irina has started the Astronaut training program and so far she has shown great results. Tho, there's one thing that's really hard for her is parachute training which is one of the most common things that an astronaut should definitely know. But, since she has the fear of heights, she will have to overcome this weakness of hers.

As usual, Lev is there to support her in any way possible. More Anya is always a good thing in this show. She's a cutie just like Irina. Obviously not cuter than her tho. Also, that secretary is goddamn hot and beautiful.
Oct 17, 2021 10:29 AM

Feb 2021
Irina keeps progressing more and more, we got to see more of her backstory this time, and there must be a really strong reason for her to want to go to space. Also that scene where she flies for the first time was pretty cool.
Oct 17, 2021 10:33 AM

Jul 2017
Irina can ace all of her tests, that is everything except those that puts her Acrophobia to the limit.

The USSR being the USSR, people can be tools to be disposed of if not suited to the country's growth, that includes Irina as well. Since both Lev and Anya aren't treated as fellow candidate and mercenary anymore, they're free to do what they want to help Irina.

The night flight testing of Lev for Irina to overcome her acrophobia, and it's wings of freedom soaring into the sky to add to the training. Going higher and higher, Lev places importance on Irina in case she goes into relapse.

The memories of young Irina shows a really grotesque experimental effort, and she would do it all for her sake, which is nice. But still, I can foresee Lev slowly falling for Irina.
Oct 17, 2021 10:47 AM

Apr 2018
She became pretty good after all the training but seems like she has a fair for heights. Understandable, so do I..

The test with Lev went pretty good and we all know that they'll fall for each other sooner or later. But well, it will be some kind of forbidden love cause I'm pretty sure the USRR won't allow a human to fall in love with a vampire lol.

Aside from that, pretty good episode.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 17, 2021 11:04 AM

Jul 2011
When the premier already is getting enough of purges.

Good for Irinyan getting somewhat over acrophobia.

So the vampires are hostages,probably.

And Irinyan looks like have fast regeneration, like the vampire legends.
Oct 17, 2021 11:34 AM
May 2017
Seeing Irina get over her fear of heights was good. Lev's old colleagues are even more annoying than I thought. And I don't know why but I feel like something happened to Irina's vampire clan after she got taken away. I'm interested to see how and why she was selected among everyone else to go. Hmmm we just have to see

Decent episode 3/5
Oct 17, 2021 11:36 AM
Feb 2021
a good anime without fanbase
Oct 17, 2021 12:12 PM

Jul 2015
^ This anime is pretty enjoyable albeit extremely underrated

I love the realistic 30-40's USSR background and music imo.. reminds me of the war movies and i freaking love them!
Irina is getting more and more cuter
Her body was violated by the doctors :( but we seeing some glimpse of flashback as to why Irina wants to go to space..
Oct 17, 2021 12:23 PM

Jun 2020
I’m undaunted by scenes involving the worse shit you can imagine. I lost my shit over the muzzle scene. I don’t say this often but this anime is setting me off.
Oct 17, 2021 12:39 PM

Apr 2020
This show has Plastic Memories vibes.
Oct 17, 2021 12:51 PM

Jun 2020
BestMillimeter18 said:

For fucks sake bruh! I’m dropping this shit if it’s like PM. I don’t wanna suffer through another anime I like. The ending was harsh af. I’ve watched PM once and it was also the last time I watch it.
tos_kaOct 17, 2021 12:57 PM
Oct 17, 2021 12:59 PM
Dec 2017
the character development for irina has been really great

Oct 17, 2021 1:24 PM

Feb 2012
Scenes of Zirnitra's equivalent of the Kremlin.

Lev flies together with Irina to help her overcome her acrophobia by letting her know how beautiful it is to soar in the sky. It successfully made Irina smile :)

Even though last episode they explained that the spacecraft would be automated, it is still very good experience for cosmonauts to have experience flying in the atmosphere.

I think the politician that suggested that Irina be disposed after the project was the one that sabotaged the ICBM launch.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 17, 2021 1:33 PM

Feb 2015
Its been pretty good so far, I mean the premise is a little crazy. Love the ED song though, its so chilled
Oct 17, 2021 1:34 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
fryadre11 said:
a good anime without fanbase

Unfortunately so. It’s a shame because it’s a well done series with a lot going for it, but the lack of hype around it just makes it go unnoticed. Maybe if they’d made Irina a loli , more otaku would have noticed it, lol…
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 17, 2021 1:36 PM
Dec 2016
I always only shit on bad series on this forum so i might as well write something nice where credit is deserved. For uninteresting premise this anime has amazing storytelling, and very refined writing.
Oct 17, 2021 1:50 PM
Feb 2021

Unfortunately so. It’s a shame because it’s a well done series with a lot going for it, but the lack of hype around it just makes it go unnoticed. Maybe if they’d made Irina a loli , more otaku would have noticed it, lol…[/quote]

exactly or if it has a ecchi tag so horny watcher give it high rating
Oct 17, 2021 2:09 PM

Apr 2020
Amidst all the outrage, discrimination, high stakes, and disdain that these two characters are in right now, they push forward in the name of the space race, and I love it.

Thanks to Lev's assistance, Irina is finally conquering her fear of heights, and her witnessing the moon from thousands of feet above was magical, damn that scene was good. Also Anya is too cute for my liking, but hey if it makes Irina blush, I'll excuse it. This show, though it may be good by now, is waiting for the ball to drop, where all the madness, despair, and drama arrives...so for now I'll enjoy every single sweet thing that is happening in this anime.
Oct 17, 2021 2:14 PM

Apr 2015
Irina getting over her fear of heights was a sight to see and in the end she was smiling. I even loved the fact she wanted to go again after jumping from a plane to do a proper parachute test. Lev is a good and patient teacher for her. Can't wait to see that develop into more and I am most curious on what the whole program will think about their relationship. Ganbare Irina!
Oct 17, 2021 2:30 PM

May 2021
So Anya has given Irina a nickname of Irinyan xD. This episode was mostly Irina training to fly in the air without being scared and Lev helped her get rid of her phobia by showing her the freedom you get when flying. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 17, 2021 2:32 PM

May 2018
IMMABEAST said:
For uninteresting premise

How alternative history show about a vampire cosmonaut with human prejudice, totalitarianism and political intrigues can be uninteresting as premise?
Oct 17, 2021 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Irina on a plane together with Lev and with the progress of these two, this rhythm of episode of them achieving something is interesting.
Oct 17, 2021 5:37 PM

Sep 2020
Proposing Irina's execution and orchestrating the ICBM's ''accident'' make that baldie quite dangerous.
Oct 17, 2021 5:54 PM

Nov 2011
Love this episode. I even was thinking how interesting Lev has been as a character that he has not fallen head over heels in love with Irina yet (cause I know damn well I have) but they even mention to him he better be careful not to obtain feelings for her.

I am interested what will happen going forward.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 17, 2021 6:39 PM
Jul 2021
KANLen09 said:
Irina can ace all of her tests, that is everything except those that puts her Acrophobia to the limit.

The USSR being the USSR, people can be tools to be disposed of if not suited to the country's growth, that includes Irina as well. Since both Lev and Anya aren't treated as fellow candidate and mercenary anymore, they're free to do what they want to help Irina.

The night flight testing of Lev for Irina to overcome her acrophobia, and it's wings of freedom soaring into the sky to add to the training. Going higher and higher, Lev places importance on Irina in case she goes into relapse.

The memories of young Irina shows a really grotesque experimental effort, and she would do it all for her sake, which is nice. But still, I can foresee Lev slowly falling for Irina.

Man, the USSR wasn't that bad. Seems like you got brainwashed by media shit. Every countries have their darksides, also the USA.
Oct 17, 2021 6:58 PM

Jun 2021
Another solid episode.

I'm really enjoying the historic references they make throughout this show. I believe the ICBM explosion that was brought up is referencing to the Nedelin catastrophe, which was a real life event. Also loved the music in this episode.

Looks like we'll have further development between Irina and Lev next episode so I'm looking forward to that.
Oct 17, 2021 7:39 PM
Feb 2021
It's great to see her tackling fear of height with the help of Lev. She is also starting to show her resolve of not dying and becoming stonger. Also we are getting little hints of their romantic development which is likely to be explored in future episodes.

I hate those higher up who was planning to eliminate her after the completion of their mission. Also someone should open the brain skull of those human candidates. Explosion of Rocket site and casualties cover up which is pretty much similar to the real world because government never bring truth to the public. They keep deceiving the people.

From the post credit scene, it looks like next episode will be interesting.
Oct 17, 2021 8:39 PM

Mar 2016
First call-out to Lev: don't relate to the subject. Yeah, about that...
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 17, 2021 10:18 PM
Jun 2017
I find it very funny how did they just clap to everything the Chairman said.
I don't know if that was the custom with the real First/General Secretaries of the Party like Stalin, Khruschev or Brezhnev, to mention some.

"Understanding something is the best way to beat your fear of it".
True.

"Planes are for soaring the sky, not weapons for killing people".
Also true. It reminds me of another quote from The Wind Rises:

"Listen to me, Japanese boy.

Airplanes are not tools for war.
They are not for making money.

Airplanes are beautiful dreams":

She's progressing, nice.
Even so, I don't see her with many chances of surviving in the end, not even if she returns safely... Even less, in that situation.
Unless some kind of Deus Ex Machina is involved, I wouldn't bat an eye if she ended up being involved in an "accident" shortly afterwards.

My, my...
Will we get some sorrt of romance in the next episode?
Only time will tell.
Oct 17, 2021 10:20 PM
Jun 2017
Avvenirista said:
Proposing Irina's execution and orchestrating the ICBM's ''accident'' make that baldie quite dangerous.

We can't be so sure that he was the one that orchestrated that plan.
It is a risky move, very risky.
Oct 18, 2021 1:24 AM
Apr 2020
This show is really taking its time, huh? Not bad, but I feel the pacing could've been better. Im still interested tho, I really like the premise and the 2 main characters are enjoyable, I just hope we get some more development in the next episodes
Oct 18, 2021 1:31 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The flight was absolutely beautiful and Irina is becoming stronger and stronger against her fears and the training, but she's still traumatized by her past, and seems like things aren't doing well inside the country with the conspiracies and incidents
Oct 18, 2021 1:41 AM
Dec 2016
alshu said:
IMMABEAST said:
For uninteresting premise

How alternative history show about a vampire cosmonaut with human prejudice, totalitarianism and political intrigues can be uninteresting as premise?
Yea.. the main reason this anime wont blow up
Oct 18, 2021 2:19 AM

Sep 2020
Paulotronator said:
Avvenirista said:

We can't be so sure that he was the one that orchestrated that plan.
It is a risky move, very risky.

That one close-up on his face kinda implied his involvement in the missile's sabotage but maybe you're right and it's someone else pulling the strings, someone like the newly introduced Lyudmila.
Oct 18, 2021 4:47 AM

Jun 2019
kietedward said:
KANLen09 said:

Man, the USSR wasn't that bad. Seems like you got brainwashed by media shit. Every countries have their darksides, also the USA.

The Soviet Union did absolutely use people to such an extent in that way though. The U.S. is also no different historically or whenever or wherever the need arises to advance the interest of its ruling clique. The USSR being portrayed in such a way isn't false. It's just then that if those same people turn a blind eye or try to twist or spin the U.S. and other Western countries' comparable historical acts then they are just hypocritical ideologues. It's not really an Eastern vs. Western or Slavic vs. American thing though. Any country that has the resources, will, and capacity to become even a regional power, let alone world power, empire and superpower, has behaved this way. It doesn't matter if it's those two or Britain, Japan, China, Germany, Turkey, the Netherlands or whoever.
Oct 18, 2021 6:34 AM

Aug 2012
It is an ok episodebut the portray of russian people and officials is extremely insulting. Especially considering how far worse the americans are . The California americans even served as the model on which Hitler designed his ideology.
WatchTillTandava said:
kietedward said:

The Soviet Union did absolutely use people to such an extent in that way though. The U.S. is also no different historically or whenever or wherever the need arises to advance the interest of its ruling clique. The USSR being portrayed in such a way isn't false. It's just then that if those same people turn a blind eye or try to twist or spin the U.S. and other Western countries' comparable historical acts then they are just hypocritical ideologues. It's not really an Eastern vs. Western or Slavic vs. American thing though. Any country that has the resources, will, and capacity to become even a regional power, let alone world power, empire and superpower, has behaved this way. It doesn't matter if it's those two or Britain, Japan, China, Germany, Turkey, the Netherlands or whoever.

exactly!
Oct 18, 2021 8:20 AM

Aug 2013
Glad to see Irina's training is doing well and she's showing some great improvement! This episode was p good. I'm starting to develop some attachment towards Irina as well so I'm in the same boat as Lev lol :<

I feel like this one's underrated. The story's quite interesting (at least for me).
Oct 18, 2021 9:41 AM

Oct 2016
Really good episode! The plane scene was so good and the soundtrack was especially great in that moment as well.

I forgot about the enemy from within dude until that explosion incident, it's definitely that dude that caused that incident. I like that these events are pretty much inspired by real life events itself, I don't really know much about the USSR's history or just history in general, but I feel like this is such a unique setting for an anime, I am really loving it. Plus we get a super cute tsundere vampire. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 18, 2021 10:31 AM

Apr 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
It is an ok episodebut the portray of russian people and officials is extremely insulting. Especially considering how far worse the americans are . The California americans even served as the model on which Hitler designed his ideology.
It is just a representation, in an alternate reality, of the history of the Soviet Union.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Oct 18, 2021 11:17 AM

Aug 2012
Rachiba said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
It is just a representation, in an alternate reality, of the history of the Soviet Union.
I know, but since the parallels between URSS cold war race and the anime are so many and precise you can understand the problem I hope. They changed minor things , nothing really significant.
Oct 18, 2021 12:23 PM

Nov 2013
Oh cool! Next episode's called "Deathflags by the lake!"
Oct 18, 2021 12:39 PM
May 2020
I want Irina to go to space but at the same time i don't want Russia to win this space race
Oct 18, 2021 12:51 PM

Nov 2016
Flying was a nice idea to take Irina's fear of heights.

Took 3 episodes, but I think I'm sold now. During the episode I noticed how invested I am in these characters.

BestMillimeter18 said:

Lol, now that you mention it, lowkey.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 18, 2021 7:13 PM

Jun 2019
The OST is great and probably the best part of this anime. The narrative and characters are still solid, nothing that really stands out, but I like that they’re showing some of the country’s politics as well. The art and animation are fine. The direction helps out considerably when it comes to the presentation.

This anime has been pretty under-the-radar so far, but I expect more people to start picking it up soon.
Oct 18, 2021 7:25 PM

Jun 2019
kietedward said:
KANLen09 said:

From the “Excess mortality in the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin” wiki article:

“After the Soviet Union dissolved, evidence from the Soviet archives was declassified and researchers were allowed to study it. This contained official records of 799,455 executions (1921–1953), around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulag, some 390,000 deaths during the dekulakization forced resettlement, and up to 400,000 deaths of persons deported during the 1940s, with a total of about 3.3 million officially recorded victims in these categories. The deaths of at least 5.5 to 6.5 million persons in the Soviet famine of 1932–1933 are sometimes, though not always, included with the victims of the Stalin era.”

Sounds kinda bad.
Oct 19, 2021 1:43 AM
Apr 2021
I can't help but feel this show is lightweight. Lacking a strong complex narrative or good pacing. The tone also feels incredibly bland and sometimes even inconsistent. There is no cold war paranoia here. There is no sense that a careless word could be your last.
Why set it in Soviet Russia if you're barely going to make creative use of the setting outside of aesthetic?
Oct 19, 2021 4:20 AM

Dec 2014
About the event, mentioned in this episode as explosion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe

BTW, I never thought I'd live to see khrushchyovkas in anime.

Gigas001Oct 19, 2021 4:27 AM
Oct 19, 2021 5:14 AM
Jul 2014
Blue_Maroon said:
kietedward said:

From the “Excess mortality in the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin” wiki article:

“After the Soviet Union dissolved, evidence from the Soviet archives was declassified and researchers were allowed to study it. This contained official records of 799,455 executions (1921–1953), around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulag, some 390,000 deaths during the dekulakization forced resettlement, and up to 400,000 deaths of persons deported during the 1940s, with a total of about 3.3 million officially recorded victims in these categories. The deaths of at least 5.5 to 6.5 million persons in the Soviet famine of 1932–1933 are sometimes, though not always, included with the victims of the Stalin era.”

Sounds kinda bad.

Talks about media brainwashing then ignores the 8-10 million body count... The irony is unreal.

Outside of that post - overall pretty interesting episode. It's kind of weird seeing a side of history that isn't often played out (as most of the historical fictions typically use a German-esque stand in as opposed to anything else). Hoping for a good ending though as they're doing a really good job of making you want Irina and Lev to win in a way that's as beneficial to themselves and the opposite for those in charge.
Oct 19, 2021 5:15 AM

Jul 2021
Liked this episode, glad to see Irina getting over her fear of heights. Really tempted to read the light novel or the manga, but I know if I do I'll end up reading on past the parts that have been adapted lmao
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pre_Yum - Oct 24, 2021

61 by Gvendoline »»
May 10, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2021

58 by Gvendoline »»
May 7, 8:01 AM

» A perspective from Soviet Union

Flank27 - Nov 21, 2023

14 by Flank27 »»
Dec 24, 2023 1:00 AM

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Koshi_Inaba - Dec 18, 2021

112 by TheBiggestAm »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:56 PM

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hesmiyu - Oct 3, 2021

115 by Y0AAT21 »»
Nov 24, 2023 11:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.