Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 17, 2021 11:13 AM
Jul 2019
Marinate1016 said:
sageT_T said:
ohh sorry what i meant was that 2 volumes can get adapted in the 1st cour. even if they adapt one chapter per episode it can't get adapted for 11 episode cause there are like 8-9 chapter's in volume.

They’re just doing one based on the pacing rn, they’re adding anime original scenes and what not. We’ll see if that changes next week

sure i look forward to it, adding anime original makes me happy too.the longer the better yk
Apr 17, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
The life of the 86ers is ruthlessly tough with many deaths unaccounted for by the Republic of San Magnolia, yet Undertaker leader Shin manages to hold everything together, now with their 6th Handler Major Vladilena.

The real glimpse of what the 86ers, or the Spearhead Squadron are facing with their enemy forces called the Legion from the neighbouring Kingdom of Giad, many enemy types to thwart but Shin and Co. work tirelessly around them with their Juggernauts, with SawanoHiroyuki's OST backing it up for the immersive effect. A-1 Pictures have always put out S-tier animation in regards to the action, and 86 is no different from the pedigree of insane visuals, even down to the CG.

Vladilena, as much as her words pierce hard towards the new recruits, the amount of humanity discrimination and hate around the people of the 86 labelled as "colossial pigs" of a failed experiment, she vows to change the perception of thinking, and this is just the start.

Still a good show with a deep sense of lore.
Apr 17, 2021 11:20 AM

Mar 2016
So that’s the route they went for to convey some of the exposition. I like it ngl.
Another amazing episode. LN reader satisfied here. Hype for next episode.

Jul 2015
Another Great Episode.It really hits your emotions.

Also that Anime original part where Lena was lecturing really fits well.Looking forward to the next episode.
Arjuna777Apr 17, 2021 11:24 AM

Dec 2020
Chris_Concept said:
Damn I feel bad for the life of an 86
Also I probably missed this but why do they have 2 years to end the war?

The Legion have limited timespan.
Apr 17, 2021 11:21 AM
Sep 2020
the fight scenes were much better than I thought they would be
Apr 17, 2021 11:25 AM

Oct 2020
Considering that Alba have silver hair and I'm guessing blue eyes, wouldn't that make the "Snow Witch" one? Wonder what her story is.

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Apr 17, 2021 11:31 AM
Jul 2017
Why are they kids?
Apr 17, 2021 11:35 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I can't believe how faithful this adaptation is! At this rate, this season may only cover volume 1, and season 2 maycover volume 2 and 3. However, don't see volume 1 needing anything more than 8-9 episodes honestly. Maybe we might get some anime-original scenes on how...

EDIT: Though looking back at the LN, this season might still be able to cover up to volume 2. 7 episodes for the first volume and 4 episodes for the second volume seems doable. Especially since the second volume is quite shorter than the first volume.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 17, 2021 1:46 PM
Apr 17, 2021 11:44 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Plotva741 said:
Chris_Concept said:
Damn I feel bad for the life of an 86
Also I probably missed this but why do they have 2 years to end the war?

The Legion have limited timespan.

Oh right!
She did mention that undertaker has 1 year left
Apr 17, 2021 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
I really enjoy watching the 86 interact, they are a fun group... See the title of the next episode... GOD DAMMIT!

I see that as usual, the characters voiced by Saori Hayami are waifu, please be safe Anju. Speaking of her, it looks like the blonde guy wants another kind of cake from her lol.

So if you don't have silver hair and eyes, you are a humanoid pig that failed to evolve and have no rights? Ugh. Lena has quite a difficult battle there.

Fights are amazing.
Apr 17, 2021 11:49 AM

Aug 2020
Pretty good battle scene, the op and ed is wonderful, and kidda Esdeath ~ Lenna ?

Apr 17, 2021 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
Who read the original LN or the manga adaptation? How much potential does this title have? I really liked the first episode and premise because it fits my tastes very well, so I wonder how much my expectations are too high.
Apr 17, 2021 12:07 PM

Dec 2020
great episode!! That scene where Lena was in the classroom was perfect.

Apr 17, 2021 12:24 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It's weird to see CG in anime that's actually good and doesn't cheapen the feel of the rest of the animation.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 17, 2021 12:30 PM
Apr 2016
How come the war started just *9* years ago and after just 9 years they've started to believe everybody who doesn't have silver hair is "a humanoid pig that failed to evolve"???

I would understand if it was 90 years ago, but 9 years ago? I just don't get it. Didn't anybody have any contact with these "humanoid pigs" in the past 10 years? Before the war started? Didn't they see and communicate with them like with normal humans???
Apr 17, 2021 12:35 PM

Jul 2019
We have the real unlimited budget works here, seriously!
Apr 17, 2021 12:40 PM

Jun 2014
Decent episode, I'm not too big of a fan of anime-original content but it fit I guess.

From the pacing I assume it will only cover the first LN in the first cour, which would be great. I still have time to read the 2nd volume and try to get the others.
Apr 17, 2021 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
that's some nazi shit right there...
someone made a comment about it being similar to attack on titan and I'm kinda starting to see it now, especially undertaker reminds me a lot of levi
besides another great episode, I hope the score will get past 8.0 once it's over cause it really deserves it if it keeps going that way
Apr 17, 2021 12:51 PM

Dec 2017
Yuvensius said:
ShikishimaKrile said:
I don't know why Shinei reminds me a bit of Sukasuka protagonist, though it has ayanokouji voice

I can see that they have similar appearance, but some part of the personality is different though. Willem is more carefree and can actually make a funny joke sometimes, while Shin is already lost that side of personality (war and discrimination can change people personality).

Yea thats right but I think its because the time. Willem suffered the lost of a person/or in plural long time ago so he was able to recover a bit and is able to be more carefree meanwhile Shin is losing people right now. I havent read 86 novel so I dont know how much character develompent he has but in the sukasuka novel
I'm not really saying that they are equal or something, just that he resembles him a bit, when willem is in the serious moments, they can be similar, but true enough Willem show more his emotions.
Apr 17, 2021 12:52 PM
Apr 2019
RobertBobert said:
Who read the original LN or the manga adaptation? How much potential does this title have? I really liked the first episode and premise because it fits my tastes very well, so I wonder how much my expectations are too high.
The LN is great, I assure you. And you've only seen the tip of the iceberg till now in the anime.
Apr 17, 2021 12:53 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
We get to see the 86ers in action this episode. Unfortunate that the Undertaker didn't write any reports though, but who can really blame him? 😂

Lena was pretty brave for standing up for the lives of the 86ers in that lecture. However, I don't see it coming without any repercussions, realistically.
Apr 17, 2021 1:00 PM
Dec 2018
Lamss said:
We get to see the 86ers in action this episode. Unfortunate that the Undertaker didn't write any reports though, but who can really blame him? 😂

Lena was pretty brave for standing up for the lives of the 86ers in that lecture. However, I don't see it coming without any repercussions, realistically.

Yes, but that scene is an anime-only content.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 17, 2021 1:01 PM

Apr 2012
Sb98 said:
RobertBobert said:
The LN is great, I assure you. And you've only seen the tip of the iceberg till now in the anime.

So, will all characters except the main pair also receive development? I love dramas that really make me feel and empathize with the characters.
Apr 17, 2021 1:07 PM
Nov 2019
JanPri said:
How come the war started just *9* years ago and after just 9 years they've started to believe everybody who doesn't have silver hair is "a humanoid pig that failed to evolve"???

I would understand if it was 90 years ago, but 9 years ago? I just don't get it. Didn't anybody have any contact with these "humanoid pigs" in the past 10 years? Before the war started? Didn't they see and communicate with them like with normal humans???

Isn't it obvious they trap themselves behind the walls and forced only 86 to fight. They subconsciously ingrained in their minds that 86 are pigs.
Apr 17, 2021 1:10 PM
Oct 2015
Really liked this episode.

Great sound design and action direction. The sounds of the explosions and guns was top notch. The CG again, very crisp and clean, didn't feel out of place at all.

I like how passionate Lena is about getting people to recognizer 86ers as humans. The arguments of the students felt kinda stupid tbh, "Have you ever fought with them", okay and how is that question relevant at all? She's trying to make a point that their lives are not to be thrown away.

The ED was absolutely gorgeous, Sawano and Mizuki back at it again with great music, I'm prolly never going to skip this.

Wholesome conversation towards the end and Shin seems to be fairly overpowered lol.

Looking forward to the next one, the title has me intrigued. Could it be a near death experience for Shin?
Apr 17, 2021 1:11 PM

Sep 2019
The animation and music were amazing. Mirize wanted them to learn the real history but they obviously didn't believe her. She has to try harder.
Apr 17, 2021 1:29 PM

Nov 2016
Lena giving real ass history lessons and the prof just like "oh God, please stop" lmao. In other nations security would be on her along with a summon to military court.

I enjoy this thoroughly so far. Usually not a LN reader, but this might be one of the series to change that.

Have the feeling the next few episodes are going to be dark and there will be a reality check for Lena.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 17, 2021 1:39 PM
Mar 2021
Really interesting. This is not a story about war, it is also a story that reflect humanity in how humans treat humans. And this anime is doing the same thing. The Sci-Fi elements are really interesting I hope it stays interesting.
I feel like I am understanding more and the animation is good.
Apr 17, 2021 1:42 PM
Dec 2007
Not a bad episode, but things feel like they're going eay faster in the anime than the book. I'm also not a fan of how they handled that lore dump in the back half of the episode.

Conceptualhero said:
Lamss said:

Yes, but that scene is an anime-only content.
Yeah I'm not a fan of how they handled that scene. It sort of changes her character a bit.
Apr 17, 2021 1:51 PM

Feb 2018
AnonymousGuy9 said:
Apr 17, 2021 1:53 PM

Jan 2021
Great really great yh
Apr 17, 2021 2:03 PM

Jul 2020
Holy crappppp

This is going to make for a really good series, I love the animation, it's great as expected from A-1.

I must say that Milize is definitely looking like a top 3 girl of this spring season so far, and 86 looks like it'll be a top 5 anime for the season.
Apr 17, 2021 2:16 PM

Apr 2020
Wow the scenes with the juggernauts were fantastic
good episode as expected
Apr 17, 2021 2:18 PM

Jan 2020
This week's episode CGI was GREAT! A lot better than last week's. I enjoyed this episode, I think the pacing they're going at is good. There was something really sad about Shin's smile and the overall atmosphere, but I like how despite everything, the 86 district soldiers still want to "enjoy" life.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 17, 2021 2:23 PM

Nov 2015
Really solid anime so far. Two good episodes in a row!
Apr 17, 2021 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
I cannot wait for episode 3
Apr 17, 2021 2:46 PM

Jul 2015
Amazing ED song.

The CGI was pretty good.
Apr 17, 2021 2:48 PM

Mar 2008
Nice pack ep. but for me, this whole war looks artificial? Legion has a numebers and technical advantage, but AI is stupid and unable to reach its full potential. And I'm not getting something. If all 86 are people who didn't meet some set of genetic standards and have been thrown outside the walls. So why are they actually fighting? I wonder if they are additionally controlled. I do not know. Some kind of bomb in the skull? The end of the episode shows that if they live to the end of their contract, they (maybe) will regain their rights and will be able to live within the walls again. But who's gonna let them in? Now they are not even recognized as human. On the other hand, if the war would actually end in two years, a large group of people would remain outside the walls. An armed group of people with actual combat experience. Srl... It all reminds me of some kind of experiment.

Apr 17, 2021 3:03 PM

Mar 2008
JanPri said:

Read some world history. A crisis in the country (for example a war), a few years of hardcore propaganda and before you know it a whole group of the population are dehumanized and then usually killed. Well known examples. The Bolsheviks in Russia, the Nazis in Germany, the communists in Kabodja.

Apr 17, 2021 3:04 PM

Jul 2015
Saygram said:
Nice pack ep. but for me, this whole war looks artificial? Legion has a numebers and technical advantage, but AI is stupid and unable to reach its full potential. And I'm not getting something. If all 86 are people who didn't meet some set of genetic standards and have been thrown outside the walls. So why are they actually fighting? I wonder if they are additionally controlled. I do not know. Some kind of bomb in the skull? The end of the episode shows that if they live to the end of their contract, they (maybe) will regain their rights and will be able to live within the walls again. But who's gonna let them in? Now they are not even recognized as human. On the other hand, if the war would actually end in two years, a large group of people would remain outside the walls. An armed group of people with actual combat experience. Srl... It all reminds me of some kind of experiment.

All these questions will be answered in this season. The studio is taking the time to drop infodumps quite slowly without burning the anime-only watcher

The adptation is *VERY* slow paced... and that's a good thing. It will probably be only 3 volumes for the entire 2 cours.

AdrianRubinskyApr 17, 2021 3:07 PM
Apr 17, 2021 3:12 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
We get to see a little bit more action on the front lines and the OST from the battle scene was really good. It was very bold of Lena to tell the new recruits about the truth of the Republic war effort, but I feel like its going to fall on deaf ears because they were taught that the people of 86 were pigs who fail to evolve. It seems that she is trying to bring awareness about the Republic War, but she doesn't have the proper platform to get it out there despite having a very notable position within the military. Not to mention that she only been to the front lines once, but never seen any real combat. Even Spearhead doesn't take her seriously even though she trying to connect with them. It's going to be very difficult for her to fight against the fascist/racist propaganda the Republic keeps spewing out. She needs more allies within the military to turn things around.
Apr 17, 2021 3:28 PM

Aug 2020
So the people referred to as 86 are just people kicked out of society because they have different features, smh.
Apr 17, 2021 3:40 PM

May 2018
1. Ok, the battle was fun...some absurd moments in it (like dodging projectiles and cutting metal with metal) but really fun.
Apart from the "rule of the cool" I didn't get the gemming part - if the radio frequencies are blocked and the laser communication can give up your position. How "directional laser-based transition" differs from "verbal communication"?
In other words how this Para-RAID thing works and why it can't be gemmed?

2. The infodump cleared some of the mysteries...but:
- A segregation which happened overnight? Something doesn't match. Maybe the colourless guys were cooking that for years and just used the crisis as an excuse?
- The MP guy should've arrested Lena despite her having backup from a higher place. It's his job to prevent or stop scenes like that. Her being released later is issue for another day.
- The theory that the war will end after two years is pretty naive or a propaganda lie.
They have no idea if there aren't other bots on storage which just wait to be activated or maybe there could be some automatic factories which repair and recharge kill-bots. Not to mention there are different models, some of which can be more durable than others.
- Yeah, they don't call them drones, so some people here should stop too.

3. Oh, so those guys have some technical support on site...which makes possible some tinkering with the junk they find, cobbling some useful bots and even achieving more complex technical goals.

4. The 86-ers sounded a bit too cheery for canon fodders send to be killed by relentless robot army. I don't buy the explanation "They behave like this to distract themselves.". Like there should be some sings of PSD or whatnot.
alshuApr 17, 2021 3:45 PM
Apr 17, 2021 3:45 PM

Jun 2017
Wow at Lena spelling some truths.....it's extremely weird she wasn't shot on the spot considering the society she lives in but I guess that uncle protection is really strong then.

The action was excellent, I dare say the CG was Ghost in the Shell levels good.

Everything is shaping up greatly so far.
Apr 17, 2021 3:50 PM

Feb 2012
The dialogue with old man Audreht was quite close. I think they cut out their bit about reports so Lena's scene and the epilogue would have more impact.

03:43 Kujo being added to the box of names

No Latin Bible line.

03:51 The backgrounds and scenery look really nice.

Exposition about the legion was integrated into character dialogue so I don't really see a problem. I like the artistic contrast to the Juggernaut's appearance.

09:48 The slow-mo projectile and the Juggernaut action sequence look so good.

We get two perspectives of when Lena gives the same order to Shin; Shin's at 08:41 and Lena's at 11:17

11:45 In an anime-original scene, the light novel's exposition is framed in a lecture, with Vladilena Milizé invited to speak as an experienced Handler.

16:20 You can't spell angel without Lena. We got a pouty face Lena and then an elevated heartrate when she talks about Undertaker, so adorable.

The ending is a real banger:

20:17 Anju's misunderstanding of Daiyu cracks me up

20:50 Shin is a true badass.

22:10 Kaie's reaction to Shin's signal.

22:42 You can see that Kurena doesn't take kindly to Lena communicating with them.

23:24 Shin's smile
Fortress_MaximusApr 18, 2021 12:09 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 17, 2021 3:52 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I think someone already mentioned this in the thread, but it's highly likely that the ED visuals will change with every episode. Aniplex's upload of the ED titled it as the "Episode 2 ED Video", so we'll probably see the visuals changing.

That being said, I would rather have a proper ED because it's kinda weird seeing an ED with only two still-shots as it's visuals, lol.
Apr 17, 2021 3:58 PM

Feb 2014
So the 86 people are differentiated due to their hair color? If that's so, why is Anju aka Snow Witch in the 86?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 17, 2021 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
The explanation of Mirizé was very well informed.
Apr 17, 2021 4:04 PM
Dec 2007
dasprn said:
So the 86 people are differentiated due to their hair color? If that's so, why is Anju aka Snow Witch in the 86?
Its hair and eye color. She has silver hair but has blue eyes, Super minor spoiler....
GGcc78Apr 17, 2021 4:08 PM
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

385 by lightningtorch »»
Jun 23, 12:45 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

266 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jun 11, 4:21 AM

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - May 22

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
May 22, 10:05 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
May 22, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by lordmisanthrope »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.