Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2010 5:54 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
One of the most amazing stories I have ever seen, both visually and dramatically, anime or not. I was literally overwhelmed by the power of this movie, the story is so well directed and with a perfect pacing in my honest opinion.

The movie starts by explaining the background and then the actual story begins with a bang. It puts you into the hell that is the presented society, it throws tragedy at your face, it gives you time to digest the story, follow the plot and understand the characters (Fuse is one of the most interesting characters I have ever seen in the anime medium) and it delivers one of the most thrilling endings ever with the only possible sad conclusion.

I can't believe I took so much time to watch this movie or even hear of it. I watched it with some expectations since I've heard good things of it and it sounded like something I would like, but nothing overly excessive really. In the end I was blown away by its artistically presentation and depth, in the edge of my seat the whole time. Memorable story, to remember and to rewatch.
Aug 30, 2010 8:17 AM

Mar 2008
Awh man it was so freaking sad.

*Goes into depression phase*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2010 11:25 AM

Apr 2010
I haven't seen anything so real and so impacting since I watched Chinatown five years ago. That being said, it was a very good story but I felt it was too slow at parts especially near the beginning. Although it still gets a solid 8/10 from me.
Jan 19, 2012 3:49 AM

Aug 2010
Too much exposition for my taste, but at least it was justified, we had a nice little plot to follow. A sad, but fitting ending. Nobody truly had a moral advantage, it usually irks me when studios try to make us sympathize with a group that is clearly in the wrong, as opposed to the good side. 9/10, a very good movie, will watch it again one day I'm sure.
Jan 19, 2012 8:25 AM

Feb 2009
I wanna marry with this movie dressed as a wolf brigadier
Feb 18, 2012 1:58 PM
Apr 2010
meh I didn't like it.The animation was good though
Mar 10, 2012 1:22 PM
Jun 2011
I don't understand the low rating i guess we all have our differences. I was blown away by the movie absolutely loved it. Its one of my favorite anime. The characters actually look asian! and it is not the generic happy ending that you see so much in anime.
Apr 19, 2012 5:07 PM

Nov 2008
Underrated. I'm ashamed.

The plot, perfect. The art, perfect. The characters, perfect....Score: 7.8X

WUT???

Saya53 said:
I don't understand the low rating i guess we all have our differences. I was blown away by the movie absolutely loved it. Its one of my favorite anime. The characters actually look asian! and it is not the generic happy ending that you see so much in anime.

MAL - where amazing happens.
Apr 27, 2012 2:18 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, that was fantastic. I just came in watching it due to the Helghast lookalikes and got something truly great in surprise. Definitely don't understand the average rating on MAL either, but then again this is the same site that thinks Brotherhood and Steins;Gate are respectively the 2nd and 3rd greatest anime of all time.
Jul 4, 2012 5:57 PM

Jul 2009
To me this feels like this had the potential to be a masterpiece but just fell short of that.

The soundtrack is bloody fantastic. The special unit forces looked downright frightening with their gear in those tunnels and the sound of their heavy machinery made them came off as truly devastating, also the gore felt pretty realistic, which some might found disturbing but I don't mind it and I loved the "dream sequences".

Unfortunately to me it too often felt like the movie hit the pause button, continuously forcing its symbolism in your face. Time that instead could had been spent giving you more information and back story of the world and/or and let you get to know and further develop the characters. As it stands I felt a bit detached from it all to truly care about what was going on.

Also the visuals while technically great, the actual art felt perhaps a bit too desaturated, despite the movie's grim and dark themes, to the point where sometimes things started to blur together in the scene not looking distinct enough so to speak but this is me nitpicking but I did love the design of the special units armor which was packing a lot of detail.
Sep 13, 2012 3:54 AM

Feb 2010
That was stunning. Especially the opening fifteen minutes.

I was surprised by the amount of animated detail, rare for a late 90s animation. Beautiful handwork; it was drawn like top budget 80s film (see Akira, Macross, Wings of Honneamise, &c). The soundtrack was fitting as well, and man, what a mood it set. Oshii had created a story and a world.

I can understand folks being turned off by the in-your-face symbolism. I found the constant use of metaphors and over-narration somewhat pretentious, but they ran full circle by the conclusion. Compared to GitS, the symbolism here was relevant and for the most part, unobtrusive. Bravo.
hellogoodbyeSep 15, 2012 12:53 AM
Oct 28, 2012 1:48 PM

Aug 2012
Almost a masterpiece.
Mar 17, 2013 3:33 AM

Feb 2010
Up front, this is one of my favourite anime movie-size. I don't even realise why it is so. It's not just the story or visuals or theme, but something of a whole experience.
I always liked Mamoru Oshii's pacing in anime. The amount of screen time he gives to the world around characters and it's subtle beauty, if I can apply the word to a mundane urban surroundings, not pretty. But there is some inner light among the dark tones, which I appreciate in Osii's works. And the music, strangely not of Kenji Kawai this time, it certainly helped to make this experience complete.
I had some difficulty following the plot and characters motives on a first run, the logic of it is not obvious to me, like in many other political thrillers. And I don't believe I got the whole of symbolism either. But it was awesome. It won't be the same if symbolics were more subtle and pacing faster and more dialogue was added, it wouldn't have the same realsurreal feeling then.
It is a movie that I won't rewatch often or much, unlike Patlabor 1 and 2, but it surely a masterpiece and one of anime gems.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 31, 2013 6:27 PM

Sep 2011
Great film. It was one of those films doesn't really move till the climax and oh boy was that an amazing climax. Excellent animation, voice acting, script, story, etc.

You usually hear a lot about how amazing Akira is, but in my humble opinion this film far exceeds it in terms of over all plot.
Apr 2, 2013 11:26 AM

Dec 2011
Excellent movie, was confused for a second when they went down into the sewers for the last time and he started putting on the armor. Then i suddenly released he was part of that inside group.

Was watching the credits and noticed like 15 animation companies doing the in-between animation. Studios like AIC and J.C Staff, etc. Always thought it was those Chinese unknown studios that did it lol. Well i guess this was like 15 years ago.
May 14, 2013 9:11 AM

Nov 2010
Very psychological movie with brutal actions and nice scenery
I watched because the Kerberos Panzer Cop design resembled a Hellghast from Killzone (2004) which peaked my interest
May 21, 2013 11:15 AM

Oct 2012
What a very realistic way to tell the story of red riding hood.
Oct 17, 2013 3:16 PM

Jan 2012
What's with the low score? So underrated! I can't believe how many people called this masterpiece boring in their reviews. If watching a realistic violent movie is considered boring, then what's fun? It's story, pacing, soundtrack, art and ending are remarkable and memorable. What more could you possibly ask for?
Oct 20, 2013 6:02 AM

Jan 2011
Wow, this film amazed me.
I really like dark physiological stories like this one.
Still thinking about it, I guess it will still be thinking about this for a few days.
Very interesting film man, I'll probably re-watch it one day.

I also checked out the English dub and I just couldn't help but find it very awkward even though it appears to be pretty good.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Dec 18, 2013 3:27 AM

Feb 2010
I like those notes on symbolism here, I feel the same http://vortigar.freeservers.com/Tjinroh.htm
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jan 24, 2014 6:02 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty good. It's Oshii so you kinda know the pace might drag a bit, and the symbolism will be heavy.

The romance between the two let it down - mainly because they're not exactly the most engaging of characters to carry the middle of the movie. They're positively catatonic.

It's also a bit odd she gave him Little Red Riding Hood to read, of all stories (hey, she's literally a Riding Hood, he's literally a Wolf (but no-one knew that...)).

Besides that the ending tied it up well I thought.
Jan 28, 2014 4:32 PM
Dec 2010
Somehow this movie failed at pulling me in and that prevented me from getting into characters. I guess it was mainly bc of the symbolism part as someone already mentioned.

Maybe due to that it felt like MC was lost and did everything exactly the opposite way from what he wanted it to be like.

But it surprised me i expected him to take her away and dying sometime at the end maybe leaving little wolf cub or two behind, you know that interbreeding stuff they were talking about.
greenmartyJan 28, 2014 4:36 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Feb 12, 2014 8:22 PM

Sep 2011
greenmarty said:
Somehow this movie failed at pulling me in and that prevented me from getting into characters. I guess it was mainly bc of the symbolism part as someone already mentioned.

Maybe due to that it felt like MC was lost and did everything exactly the opposite way from what he wanted it to be like.

But it surprised me i expected him to take her away and dying sometime at the end maybe leaving little wolf cub or two behind, you know that interbreeding stuff they were talking about.

The movie is heavy on symbolism and many things are implications for the viewer to contemplate rather than just being said. The movie is great if you can understand all the subtleties and put it all together. The symbolism to Red Riding Hood is really stretched and it suffers there a bit. The end justifies the overkill of the references to it though.

The MC wasn't lost per se, but rather conflicted. At the end of the day he is a wolf that disguises himself as a human. He also knew that she was an undercover scapegoat/spy the whole time.
Apr 1, 2014 1:18 AM

May 2010
watched this movie back then in 2001 on tv and back then i was fairly new to anime and i thought " oh awesome movie" but i really didnt fully comprehend it back then (tons of symbolism). now i finally rewatched the thora 1080p release yesterday and i still liked it alot but it wasnt as impressive as for the first time.

i saw ppl talking about ´jin roh being underrated and the ratings on mal..which i almost agree on. what i noticed is that this movie is "running idle" (i cant come up with a better description..my english isnt the best) quite alot especially in the middle part. so the pacing could have been abit better.

what i loved was how it ended. if this were some hollywood movie he would take her with him and become human and leave the pack behind for love or something like that.

8/10
Apr 11, 2014 3:26 AM

Jan 2013
There comes a time where all the cynicism in your heart fails, you stand up, take off your hat and acknowledge the magnitude of a masterpiece. Jin Roh is amazing to say the least. Bitterly realistic, subtly paced, a bit symbolic; it has it all. The plot complexities, the heartfelt characters are all the buildup; and with a bitterly unforgettable ending as the iceing, I proudly acclaim it to be a masterpiece.
10/10.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 14, 2014 2:37 AM
Apr 2013
A lot of things to think about, but the pacing was slow and it just wasn't an enjoyable or gripping film most of the time. The plot got mangled and the symbolism was a bit strange.
Jul 8, 2014 3:45 PM

Jan 2013
Thank you Demo-senpai for recommending me this anime. 10/10 would sugoi again
Aug 31, 2014 5:32 PM

Jun 2013
This was absolutely fucking incredible.

And also solidifies my lack of faith in the MAL community after seeing it's rating on here. This deserves a high 8, or 9 even.
Sep 5, 2014 11:26 AM

Oct 2013
Great movie,gotta rewatch it sometime 8/10

Sep 11, 2014 10:24 PM
Jun 2014
Rance-sama said:
Thank you Demo-senpai for recommending me this anime. 10/10 would sugoi again

Haha I also watched this film because of Demo's review of it. I am glad I heard about this.
Sep 25, 2014 3:28 AM

Jun 2008
Kerozinn said:
what i noticed is that this movie is "running idle" (i cant come up with a better description..my english isnt the best) quite alot especially in the middle part. so the pacing could have been abit better.

This right here. This was the biggest problem this movie had. The atmosphere was good, the plot seemed decent the cinematography was good also but at some point it felt boring and i don't care if i get criticized for saying so by the people who think it's a masterpiece.
Because of that the movie failed many times to keep you engaged, i found my self wanting to take a break while watching because it felt so heavy and slow.

The characters were so-so, the main guy hardly ever speaks really or express himself much. I guess it was so we can keep guessing on what the hell was in his mind until the ending revelation of who exactly he is but it made him kind of uninteresting. For the most part the voice of the girl pulled the movie along ether with telling the red-riding hood story or by talking to him. Despite that the movie gave a good picture of the complexities of human nature which is a very positive thing.

All in all a decent movie with great potential that didn't completely fulfilled all of it.
A watch you want regret but something that will also be hard to find the appetite to re-watch again because of the "running idle" problem that made it seem like a chore trying to keep your attention at the screen.
Sep 27, 2014 12:14 AM

Jun 2013
Monad said:
Kerozinn said:
what i noticed is that this movie is "running idle" (i cant come up with a better description..my english isnt the best) quite alot especially in the middle part. so the pacing could have been abit better.

This right here. This was the biggest problem this movie had. The atmosphere was good, the plot seemed decent the cinematography was good also but at some point it felt boring and i don't care if i get criticized for saying so by the people who think it's a masterpiece.
Because of that the movie failed many times to keep you engaged, i found my self wanting to take a break while watching because it felt so heavy and slow.

The characters were so-so, the main guy hardly ever speaks really or express himself much. I guess it was so we can keep guessing on what the hell was in his mind until the ending revelation of who exactly he is but it made him kind of uninteresting. For the most part the voice of the girl pulled the movie along ether with telling the red-riding hood story or by talking to him. Despite that the movie gave a good picture of the complexities of human nature which is a very positive thing.

All in all a decent movie with great potential that didn't completely fulfilled all of it.
A watch you want regret but something that will also be hard to find the appetite to re-watch again because of the "running idle" problem that made it seem like a chore trying to keep your attention at the screen.

Must suck having a shit tier attention span.
Oct 2, 2014 12:29 PM

Jan 2011
That was great, I can't believe I waited until now to watch this.

All that background of political intrigue and scheming involved with an active story for the main cast of interesting characters is really reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell, which I know Mamoru Oshii was involved in for writing as well.

I might even start reading Kerberos Saga now.
SacredFactorOct 2, 2014 12:32 PM
Oct 12, 2014 12:27 AM

Mar 2012
This film was magnificent. Most certainly one of the best animated films I've set eyes on and engaged with. The symbolism, animation and interesting parallel with Red Riding Hood sets this anime film aside as one of the greatest.

10/10
Oct 31, 2014 2:25 AM

Aug 2012
Watched it when I was 14. Other than the start and end of the movie, I was bored as hell and the final scene left such a bitter taste in my mouth because I just wasn't used to that kind of ending. Immediately thought it was meh.

Watching it again after seeing Demo's review this year (even though my eveloving taste already made it more palatable over the years) has made it my benchmark of Anime films. It has memorable character and armor designs (I only realised that the Capitol Police Armor was a mixture of WWII German uniforms layered on top of Japanese Samurai armor), realistic and fluid animation along with an attention to detail, gorgeous sound and solid unfolding of the characters by the ending. It also has the best incorporation of CGI in a hand-drawn film, and this was from 16 years ago.
Nov 10, 2014 6:28 PM

Jul 2011
Oh, I thought I missed the chunk of the plot, but apparently I didn't. It was actually pretty basic, but layered with heavy symbolism and some long time development here and there.

That was a great watch though and I love that it left me surprised in the last bit. Glad I watched it.

Seriously, when they went down to the sewers and met up with the unit... then Fuse started changing, that really hit me. I loved the atmosphere as well, though at times the I couldn't distinguish objects because of the color and blur. The armor is amazingly eerie.
Feb 4, 2015 8:27 AM

Dec 2012
For once I found the symbolism in something easy to interpret. The pacing like many said could have been better, the first part movie was fairly boring with nothing particularly happening though with good atmosphere, it got interesting by the second half, when everything was revealed but at that point, I honestly didn't care much, I felt it was too late, and wasn't emotionally invested in the two main leads.

Decent movie, but I didn't find it great or something that I will remember in the future. 7/10
Feb 8, 2015 3:43 PM

Sep 2013
After two years of searching a good file finally I was able to watch this movie in good quality.

It was a really good movie, but I felt like it was lacking something. Its like the movie only develops one side of the things that are happening in it.

The Wolf Brigade and the other institutions weren't explored at all.

However, the movie is good for what it is. Now that I know all the twists to the story it would be nice to rewatch it.

8/10 this time.
Feb 14, 2015 1:16 PM

Jul 2014
Loved it. It's a type of movie you could watch again and again and again... And that gorgeous music, for me, one of the best soundtracks
Aug 5, 2015 5:58 PM

Feb 2014
Absolute loved it i was going to give this 8/10 but that ending made me rise it to 9/10
Aug 30, 2015 7:24 PM

Feb 2013
This version of Little Red Riding Hood is better than the kiddy version.

I saw this on TV somewhere years ago. It was alright the first time I saw it. Same this time. It has a nice overall story, but it's a bit slow at times.
Sep 30, 2015 8:19 PM
Jul 2014
Wow, brilliant! Really good stuff. Story is somewhat simple and linear but so well made and captivating. For example, that powerful psychological scene where Fuse and Amemiya are on the roof (with a kid) and he's overwhelmed with premonition - in underground tunnels running after that girl who made suicide at the beginning and wolf after wolf enters the scene quickly becoming a pack of wolves! Maybe it would be even better if the pack would haunt him as well... Okay, maybe that would be too revealing for the story itself ... Anyway, that music and tearing up of girls body by the wolfs - all hair on the back of my neck bristled! I will never forget that scene!!!
Of course - yet another brilliant Anime which is rudely and unjustly underrated!!! Too many spoiled brats were having a go with this Anime and in their ignorance they failed to recognize the quality... Sure, story about politics and terrorism (although nowadays relevant) charged with psychologically reflection of main protagonists simply cannot prevail over some big boobs over which these dumb kids jerk off! LOL
Seriously - this Anime hasn't reached even an 8!?! So it's up to us, who are mature and intelligent enough to correct those grades by rating it with 9 and 10. Grades that are surely more than deserved!
Nov 12, 2015 1:49 AM
Mar 2012
Very well animated. I found it more depressing & powerful than grave of the fireflies, both with post-war setting. The couple felt very tragic from the outset so felt mixed about the romance. Political plotting seemed confusing but I think with the integrated references to lrrh, story flowed through, with all the heavy baggage of humanity, the wolf pack, the lone wolf, moral choices, & Fuse's development or lack of. I definitely need some time to think over the film.
Dec 27, 2015 8:17 AM

Nov 2011
I just don't understand what kind of a fucking brain Oshii Mamoru has.
Feb 28, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2014
First IG Production that I was bored by. The animation was great and is what I've come to expect from IG. The story was just too slow. One of the things I really like about IG Production shows is their balance of a very good plot with action. GITS has a deep storyline with great action in-between. This was a fairly thin plot IMO with little action to keep it lively. I actually feel asleep before it was over. Something that has never happened with any other IG Production movie or series. I might watch it again so I can see the end but I doubt it will do much to change my review or rating.
Feb 28, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2014
First IG Production that I was bored by. The animation was great and is what I've come to expect from IG. The story was just too slow. One of the things I really like about IG Production shows is their balance of a very good plot with action. GITS has a deep storyline with great action in-between. This was a fairly thin plot IMO with little action to keep it lively. I actually feel asleep before it was over. Something that has never happened with any other IG Production movie or series. I might watch it again so I can see the end but I doubt it will do much to change my review or rating.
Jun 21, 2016 3:36 PM

Feb 2013
Very boring, the story wasn't bad, but it didn't have anything special at all.
Sep 25, 2016 8:45 AM

Aug 2012
I dont get it.Meaning too deep for my head
Oct 10, 2016 11:00 AM

Aug 2014
The movie was good.
I liked the animation and the art work however the character design was bland and i didn't like it.
OST is very good.

I think the narrative of the story was boring, the story itself didnt have a powerful meaning and this red riding hood stuff? i think it was pretentious.
Also the idea of the story; I have seen it many times, could've been a bit more original, can't say the same for the ending though.

7/10
Oct 14, 2016 8:12 PM

Dec 2015
Only one word sums out this movie for me, power. Power resonates throughout the plot, characters, imagery and soundtrack. This entire film was fittingly about how a wolf should act- instinct, hunting as a pack.

Crazy good climax and ending although a little rushed towards the end.
~
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Satoshi Kon got nothing to do with the script

Vanhibiki - Mar 21

3 by Theo1899 »»
Mar 22, 8:14 AM

» Tatsuki Fujimoto just recommended this!!!

Chirag_the_Neko - Dec 17, 2023

5 by Steez76 »»
Dec 18, 2023 3:22 PM

» Kei Amemiya from "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade" (1999)

RJDA - Feb 21, 2023

0 by RJDA »»
Feb 21, 2023 6:50 PM

» Do I need to watch any other movies in the "Kerberos saga" before I watch "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade"?

BearfootTruck - Dec 28, 2020

2 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 26, 2022 4:05 AM

» Fuse made the right choice?

Milk-plus__ - Nov 26, 2008

42 by -Xenophon- »»
Aug 26, 2022 12:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.