Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 5, 2020 3:32 AM

Oct 2013
I mean it looks cool visually but feels really lame story wise to me
Tai getting so much more focus than the others makes me worried the other characters aren't going to get proper character development/fleshing out down the road unless it has several episodes more than the original
Being a Digimon fan is hard sometimes I swear. The art style being reverted back to original compared to Tri feels like its just pandering like the Force Awakens used practical effects in super obvious ways to please fans of the original while just being a retelling of the original but different in context and time period
I hope this wont turn to trash like the Star Wars sequels but I'm honestly really worried now after the first episode
Apr 5, 2020 3:41 AM

Dec 2016
Oh boy, I had always been optimistic about this and had faith in that they were going to do something good, but never this good. I'm more than pleasantly surprised, I must say that I really fell in love here. This was just pure childlike wonder, what a magical ride.

Is this really Toei Animation animating this? Are they actually putting true love into one of its most well remembered and beloved franchises? The production was so impeccable to the point that you couldn't even believe it was them, the infamous Toei, the ones behind. There was a level of craft here I hadn't ever seen in any regular TV episode of any digimon series ever! Perhaps with the exception of episode 21 of the original, the one directed by Hosoda. The direction was also fantastic, this is the result of doing things with care and love.

Speaking of Hosoda, it was clear that they opted to go his route kicking the show with an Our War Game! type of narrative, and also the first movie one, by introducing Koromon, Agumon and Greymon all of them in the very first 20 minutes, and with Tai partnering in the mission with Izzy/Koushiro the same way it was in the movie, loved that.

And yes, having Greymon appearing already in the first episode is rushed, but he also only first appeared in episode 2 in original so it's not that much of a difference really.

I liked the facts that i) only 2 of the kids had dialogue and that i) 1 of them was shown with his digimon already digievolved without showing the rookie form, because this added much more spontaneity, straying from rigid narrative structures (all the kids appear in ep 1, all of them meet their digimos in baby form, all of them evolve at once to rookie form, then it's 1 entire episode per kid and digimon to see their adult form, etc., this one seems to aim for more natural/flexible developments).

I also liked the fact that they dared to make an Adventure entry not relying on Butterfly and Braveheart, but with original themes this time, successfully communicating that this is not going to be just an easy and unoriginal Adventure nostalgia-bait rehash. I don't expect the music to be as godly and full of charm and personality as the original one (that is really one hard task!) but this one is doing a great job too and I liked it a lot. Did anyone else feel that it sounded kinda "Hollywood-esque"? Gave so much Thomas Newman vibes lol.

Op and ed felt more shounen than kodomo and it felt weird xd, Yamato was soo Sasuke in the ed lol, but I liked them, it was charmingly-weird. No op here will ever be as legendary as Butterfly tho, but it's doing its job.

However, not that I'm much bothered by this but I kinda missed that Tai and Izzy didn't react very surprised when realizing the existence of another world and talking creatures, like if all that had been pretty normal; in the original you could see they were shocked to find these creatures, they didn't know one shit of everything going on around them and they were slowly finding clues to solve the mystery of where they were, it took them time to realize they were in another world, however now Izzy finds out everything almost immediately, with no sense of inviting the viewer to solve the mystery. Didn't like much this detail, but it isn't that damaging.

One of my fears also though is to see if this is going to be more centered around the action and solving situations rather than the character development of the kids or not. Original did a fantastic job in fleshing out its cast going hand-in-hand with the story progression, I don't want this to be just fighting menacing digimons causing trouble in the real world and nothing else, which can certainly get dull in the short and long run.

I also fear, based on the opening, ending and this first episode alone, that this one might emphasize too much in Taichi and Yamato relegating the rest to just secondary/supporting roles. Despite the original also making always clear that those two were the central characters, it never forgot of the rest and assured to give everyone a fair share of spotlight at some point. We'll have to see how this plays out in the way.

Comparisons to the original are going to be inevitable, but we can't forget that this is a reboot and not remake, which makes this not exactly and apples-to-apples comparison. Let's give it a chance to see it shine for its own merits.

I'm wishing the best to this, I hope it succeeds and we get at least 50 eps.
Apr 5, 2020 3:43 AM

Dec 2014
well like this was not as expected.. original is always better. but still gonna watch it though
Apr 5, 2020 4:06 AM
Apr 2009
Where is the digievolution scene? Its song is carved on my mind forever. Please, don't take it away from us. :(
Apr 5, 2020 5:14 AM

Jan 2014
Not only lots of nostalgia, but it actually has good animation and I like the fact that even so this is directed for kids, they didn't make it cringe with exaggerated expressions, recently Toei is on a roll. Let's hope that it keeps being this good.
Apr 5, 2020 5:48 AM

Feb 2014
I am hoping to see SkullGreymon again, that bit was terrifying when I was younger.
Apr 5, 2020 6:26 AM

Dec 2015
Nice beginning, I liked it even though tis whole project is a very bad idea. Also, I thought it was pretty well done in terms of visual. (I won't talk about the opening and music )

What a fast start, thanks to the combo of various Digimon's épisodes 1. And it will only get faster: let's remake Hosoda's 2nd film next ! So much for the feeling of "Adventure".

Looks like we will have even less of a choral series as

4/5 TOEI used nostalgia, it was super effective ! (I should be ashamed)

The peoples criticizing others for "not coming with a blank mind", "judging based on what came before", "forgetting this is INTENDED FOR young children that have never seen Adventure" amuse me.
If this was the case, they wouldn't have used the characters from back then (especially drawn in a similar style/proportion), throw in our face the original "symbols" (crests) as soon as possible (to reassure us), winked at us with the opening's intro, would have designed an entirely new digivice toy, not included all the winks to original "Digital Monsters" toys, etc (not the courage to list them all). Who is supposed to put the children in front of the TV? The parents, let's say... some 30ish year old young parents who watched Adventure/played with Digimons when they were young kids (just like the fathers taking their children to the theater to watch the "Kami to Kami" DB film)

It's the exact same system that made so many 80s flavoured things come "out of nowhere" in the USA (novels, movies, TV shows, ...) in the last years, and the resurgence of UC labelled products among the recent Gundam animated production.

Rei_IIIApr 5, 2020 6:33 AM
Apr 5, 2020 6:26 AM

Jul 2019
really good tbh, animation was surprisingly good and it seems like it will be quite different from the original series, im kind of hyped for this.
Apr 5, 2020 6:35 AM
Jul 2011
pkmaster99 said:
The animation and everything were good. Though I'm a little disappointed at the evolutions. It also feels a bit rushed. At least the new plot and all that looks interesting so far.

They are trying to do Hosoda way of Digimon evolution(though Hosoda is "making fun" of typical Digievolution scene from TV series on other people PCs during streaming in Our War Game.)

shayed__ said:
Hmm not sure how to feel about this. Boruto's VA for Taichi and the old grandma Goku VA for Agumon.. kinda putting me off not gonna lie why couldn't they keep agumon's va from the TRI movies..

Nope, Agumon is still reprised by Chika Sakamoto which she is voiced as Agumon literally in every Digimon media(except Agumon in Savers/Data Squad). Most Digimons are from the same casts from TV series two decades back. Which is same with Tri.

Masako Nozawa(Goku VA) is only doing the narration. She is not new to Digimon either because she voiced as Guilmon/Dukemon in Digimon Tamers and Dukemon(Royal Knights) in X-Evolution and Digimon Savers/Data Squad.
Apr 5, 2020 6:39 AM

Feb 2016
finally airing.. woooaahhh
<nostalgia intensifies>
Apr 5, 2020 7:22 AM

Apr 2012
Very good first episode, hope they will keep the quality
Apr 5, 2020 7:31 AM

Apr 2011
The animation is looking like shit and the OST is a bit too dramatic for my liking. But it was a fun episode, I was glad to see my boy Koushirou was relevant and the episode didn't focus only on Taichi. But I missed the evolution sequence when Agumon turned into Graymon.
Apr 5, 2020 7:39 AM

Nov 2016
Can someone tell me if I need to watch every other season to understand this one?
Apr 5, 2020 7:58 AM

Aug 2014
It was okay.

Art is in the style of the original series, which is immediately better than what things looked like in most things past season 4. Animation and action were pretty good.

Guess we won't see much of the Digimon World in this, as they replaced it with a network in the style of Megaman - Battle Network. Shame, cause I really wanted to see some of the dumb creativity, that was present in it in season 1 and the Digimon World game for PS1.

My main issue is how unrelatable it seems. First season's (and second season's mostly, because of it's timeliness with the spread of internet) bigger appeal was it's relatability and how it wasn't too deep in it's empowerment fantasy. It presented a bunch kids facing a world they don't understand. They didn't know what to eat, where to sleep, where to go, how to get back home and were surrounded by gigntic monsters, they initially didn't know how to battle as their Digimon were still underevolved. This seems lost in this series, as Taichi immediately accept the role of the hero and teams up with Agumon with little to no fear.
Apr 5, 2020 8:06 AM

Aug 2014
Alvaritoterreos said:
Can someone tell me if I need to watch every other season to understand this one?

Nope. Go for it.

It's a reboot of the 1999 original. Uses same characters, but story seems headed in an entirely new direction and there seems to be no story-relevant connection to the older shows.

I would however recommend the original show + season 3: Digimon Tamers for further viewing, should you become more interested. Season 1 is a classic, but a bit rough around the edges, season 3 is unconnected to the first one with a new set of characters, but is arguably the best of the franchise's anime series.
Apr 5, 2020 8:15 AM

Mar 2019
Alvaritoterreos said:

Imagine the original Digimon, but with new story and is set in more recent years.

I didn't know what to expect from this, turns out really enjoyable. I just hope they didn't splurge all the budget on the early episodes.

Also... Tachikawa Computer??? Didn't know Mimi's dad is a software engineer.
Apr 5, 2020 8:19 AM
Aug 2018
The reboot of Digimon was great. I hope the'll put Brave Heart for the Digievolutions but I think they'll not do it. It's ok, it's good to be back Digimon
Apr 5, 2020 8:26 AM

Dec 2010
Nemesis16 said:

You have no idea what you're talking about man. Toei's pre-production and planning has been much better after DBS, with most projects after that period that had good/great staff doing very well. Which is how they were able to produce DBS Broly, which is one of the best movies and DB products, much like other projects.

u clearly dont know what ur talking about, a weekly series vs a movie series has completely different production methods and timelines behind the scene ya dipshit
Apr 5, 2020 8:46 AM

Jul 2019
Ferien said:

I also fear, based on the opening, ending and this first episode alone, that this one might emphasize too much in Taichi and Yamato relegating the rest to just secondary/supporting roles. Despite the original also making always clear that those two were the central characters, it never forgot of the rest and assured to give everyone a fair share of spotlight at some point. We'll have to see how this plays out in the way.

This is honestly my biggest worry, While I like Tai and Matt, what I loved about the original, was the entire cast and their interactions and developments. Would be disappointed to find out this is basically the Tai and Matt show, with cameos from the other characters occasionally.
Apr 5, 2020 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
I loved this! Getting to see how Taichi and Koushiro met each other for the first time was pretty heartwarming. Taichi's new voice feels perfect for him too, and Koushiro's new voice struck me as weird at first, but I think I already like it too. It's hard to dislike it when it's Koushiro. xD And Agumon is the same as always. I love how Koushiro already saved lives even though this just started too. lol I mean, I don't know if Taichi and Agumon would have made it in time without his guidance, and even Yamato and Garurumon only got there after it would be too late. Can't wait to see Tentomon and all the others making their debut here. It also seems that things are going to escalate quickly already. lol Oh, and I love the OP and ED, even though they focus too much on Taichi and Yamato respectively, and my only complaint is that Brave Heart didn't play when Agumon evolved. The OST seems to be really good so far, but no matter how good that specific one was, it can't compare to an insert song with vocals. I won't hold my breath, but I do hope an insert song plays in a special moment or something. But again, I loved this and I truly hope we are in for a long ride!
Apr 5, 2020 8:56 AM
Oct 2012
Adventure was a mistake
It's nothing but trash
Apr 5, 2020 8:58 AM

Aug 2015
Why does the first episode already have an emotional OST? Lol. That said, it moves so fast. I'm a little irked that Izumi accepts everything so fast but that's that I guess.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Apr 5, 2020 9:16 AM

Apr 2012
pkmaster99 said:
The animation and everything were good. Though I'm a little disappointed at the evolutions. It also feels a bit rushed. At least the new plot and all that looks interesting so far.
Yeah, I feel the same.

The plot itself looks fine, but we're already at Greymon level in the very first episode? And I know the situation demanded it, but I liked the way the Digidestined bonded with their digimon in the first episode. Taichi meets Agumon in this and they're already fighting together no questions asked.

It seems like this one will focus on advancing the plot over everything else which will be kinda "meh" to me, but hopefully I'm wrong. I liked everything before the fight started.

robiu013 said:

Guess we won't see much of the Digimon World in this, as they replaced it with a network in the style of Megaman - Battle Network. Shame, cause I really wanted to see some of the dumb creativity, that was present in it in season 1 and the Digimon World game for PS1.
Yeah, this also bothered me. I like Cyber Sleuth but I really don't think the setting fits with the "ADVENTURE" part of Digimon.

Oh and the fact that we're getting so much Taichi in the OP (and Yamato in the ED) is also making me scared of what the show is going to do with the other characters. They worked well together as a group. Even if Taichi and Yamato are the "true" MCs of this, I hope the other characters at least get an episode to shine.

Plus, no Brave Heart = profound sadness.
BluexMageApr 5, 2020 9:23 AM
Apr 5, 2020 9:31 AM

Jun 2014
My Relatively Spoiler free thoughts:

The Music is decent, OP is no Butterfly, but it's good enough.
The Animation/Art Style is straight out of the 90s except with a little flair and polish, which is great.
The Plot is original, but with nostalgia baked in. Lots of nods to the old anime, with some new liberties taken.
And most importantly, the characters are behaving like themselves so far. (Screw you , Tri)
Apr 5, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2016
Marinate1016 said:
This is my first time watching Digimon in Japanese, I grew up with the fox kids dub. Has taichi always had Boruto’s Seiyuu??

Only in the reboot, in the original series (Except in Tri. and Last Evolution Kizuna which being voiced by Natsuki Hanae) Taichi is voiced by Toshiko Fujita (Who already passed away back in late 2018)

Marinate1016 said:
Also, was Goku’s seiyuu always the narrator for parts of the story? That’s really cool

Again, only in the reboot, in the original it's voiced by Hiroaki Hirata (Leomon and Young Gennai's VA). Although Nozawa did voiced Guilmon in Tamers (Nozawa basically used her Dukemon voice for her Narrator's voice lol).

Marinate1016 said:
ED is great too, man I’m hyped as fuck!! Lets hope it stays consistent

The ED wasn't bad but I kinda missed AiM's (Mimi's original VA) voice here since she has been sing almost every Digimon ending songs since beginning.
MahiaErebeaNegiApr 5, 2020 9:47 AM
Apr 5, 2020 10:38 AM

Aug 2016
Well, that escalated quickly. The original series had some comfy camp shenanigans and allowed us to know the characters better before things got too seriously, this one already has cyberterrorism and fucking world-threatening nukes. Not sure what to expect, but I'm interested anyway.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 5, 2020 10:42 AM

Feb 2015
Eh... while I liked it alot, it already looks like it's gonna be Tai & Yamato only - and that's exactly what I hated about every single Adventure movie.
The Opening and Ending really make it look like Sora, Koshiro, Mimi & Joe are going to be sidekicks :(
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Apr 5, 2020 11:06 AM

Dec 2008
I was thinking the voice at the start sounded Goku-esque then remembered, duh, it is Goku, lol. I like the new seiyuu for the kids so far.

It was okay as a first episode. There was too much focus on the battle and not enough on characters for my personal taste. The digivolutions were cool looking. Taichi was focused on like a lot in the opening and the episode itself. I hope they aren't going to just give all the time to the figurative red ranger and downgrade the others to sometimes appearing supporting characters. But Yamato had the focus in the ending song even though we didn't see him until the end, so that's a good sign there. But like others mentioned that could just mean Yamato is the other main, meh.
Apr 5, 2020 11:12 AM

Jun 2013
I think the music was really good. The animation also, but I'm really mixed about the story.

I fear that we will have an episodic anime with War Game each week. Also, I'm quite surprised to see Tai getting all of the screentime.
I hope it will not be Tai & Yamato all the time.

We will know more next week...
Apr 5, 2020 11:16 AM
Jul 2015
Where can I watch this?
Apr 5, 2020 11:24 AM

Jun 2011
So much polarizing opinions. I thought it made a pretty good impression. Toei updated the source while still keeping the stuff people loved about the original like the character designs. While the way Taichi gets transported into the Digital World differs drastically, I still think him and the rest of the Destined Children will still visit the place proper at some point. Plus, Our War Game was the better origin story so I'm glad this reboot took that route. My only real gripe is the OST. I kept waiting for a successor to Brave Heart during Agumon's evolution, but only got some stock Hollywood track. Huge bummer there. Overall, still was an enjoyable first episode. Good luck on Toei keeping this quality until the end.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 5, 2020 1:41 PM
Jun 2013
raifuresu said:
The animation is looking like shit

Like seriously, buy a pair of glasses, you need it.
Apr 5, 2020 1:52 PM

Apr 2011
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:
raifuresu said:
The animation is looking like shit

Like seriously, buy a pair of glasses, you need it.

I have two, thanks for worrying. You need to get better standards tho.
Apr 5, 2020 2:26 PM
Mar 2020
Okay, i watched digimon 1 in my childhood, in brazilian dub, but, in my adolescence in japanese, so, Koji Wada and Ayumi Miyazaki are like trademark to the franchise, i'm disappointed about the music, however, was a strong premiere, different than Digimon Adventure tri, for example.
Apr 5, 2020 3:03 PM
Jun 2015
okay, i'm hype with this but after watch it now i don't know what i should say with this. basically it only take the brand and modify it to "current trend". make different prologue is okay but don't change it to another level but sadly that change itself still acceptable and logic. so what about other problem in it?

1. did you know that attack digimon who still evolving can cancel their evolution? but the problem is it only happen in movie especially diablomon part
2. okay, champion level is more superior than rookie level but why champion level give aura that "almost same" like ultimate level? or it is just me who feel like that?
3. why the hell taichi start to fight together with agumon??? i know that he will in the future but this is still episode 1 right? honestly his adaptation ability is not from kid adaptation ability

it is very sad that this remake give same worst adaptation like tri and it is more better if they just start to make new digimon series rather than do remake
Apr 5, 2020 4:07 PM

May 2015
Lol "Manga"?!! Anyway, I loved it, my hype was through the roof the moment I played the episode, THIS is the Digimon follow-up season that I always wanted to see although it's probably too early to say this and it took 20 whole years... Toei is FINALLY doing it right, seeing kid Taichi and co again was a long overdue and it was an indescribable joy.

They nailed the art and animation and wasn't expecting them to do, now why they didn't do the same with Tri?!!!!!! beats me... Music was fine, the OP and ED were cool tho and tells a lot about whom the focus of the show going to be on! Story felt rushed to me, Taichi and Agumon bonded faster than they probably should've and Koshiro all of a sudden knew everything about the digital world after getting his digivice which made no sense expect for Toei probably not wanting to spend time on that again. It took me to the preview to realize that this is pretty much a retelling/alternative version of Our War Game yet still an original story at the same time which should've been the REAL TV sequel instead of a movie back then, yes I am a 02 hater, 02 should have never existed or at least it should have been it's own damn thing which probably explains why the digital world is different than the original one, I guess, if I'm not wrong it's similar to the network or whatever world the kids fought Diablomon in back then, it also gives the Tamers digital world vibe, and also making a fresh a new world might be Toei attempt to make the story fresh, original and different from the original show, whether this works or not is yet to be seen, so far I don't like it.

Taichi sounds like an adult.
Agumon to Greymon was LIT.
Yamato and Garurumon made a badass entrance.
Diablomon in the preview of the 2nd episode might mean Omnimon might appear sooner than I expected.

That's all I have to say about the 1st episode and I'm totally looking forward to the 2nd one and the show as a whole although I'm keeping my expectations at check to not be let disappointed later on.
Apr 5, 2020 5:31 PM

Jul 2012
Visually it was awesome, it's so nice to see the old art style again!

Now, my thoughts on the actual episode are... eh.
When I think of Digimon I think of emotions, self-growth, and bonds but I felt a completely different vibe watching this one. I thought the pace was way too rushed also. And music was pretty forgettable.

That said, I think is way too soon to judge this reboot. As a Digimon fan I REALLY want to like it!
Apr 5, 2020 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
The animation looks crazy good holy shit. Now I wish it’s a remake instead of reboot. I was skeptical at first, but if it’s going to look this good, please remake 02, Tamers, Frontier, and Savers as well.

Still wish they'd put Brave Heart in here somehow.
Apr 5, 2020 7:19 PM

Apr 2009
Great animation. Soundtrack feels like it's loyalty-free. No evolution music :(
Apr 5, 2020 8:30 PM

Apr 2011
My childhood reboot done right so far, I like it overall, a bit slow start. Before even going to the camp, the kids are introduce to Digimon. Since the series before this was long running, I hope Digimon will be pumping out episodes, hopefully over 100+.

I was surprise Matt was there with his evolved partner, I wonder if he was battling virus digimon as well. I guess the rest of the digi kids will be focus on with their digimon's.

Since we're in alternative timeline, I wonder what type of possible villains are we getting or same mon's from season 1?
Apr 5, 2020 8:57 PM

Jun 2010
BluexMage said:
pkmaster99 said:
Yeah, I feel the same.

The plot itself looks fine, but we're already at Greymon level in the very first episode? And I know the situation demanded it, but I liked the way the Digidestined bonded with their digimon in the first episode. Taichi meets Agumon in this and they're already fighting together no questions asked.

It seems like this one will focus on advancing the plot over everything else which will be kinda "meh" to me, but hopefully I'm wrong. I liked everything before the fight started.

Exactly how I felt. Unless they are playing into their childhood and he figured out everything. Though... I really don't know how to feel without explaining things at all.
Apr 5, 2020 10:13 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good and much better than expected. It's nice they kept the original character designs but revamped the art style to be more modern.

Seems to be taking a different direction right from the start when compared to the original. Greymon already damn, seems fast but I guess it's fine.

Not sure what to expect but I'll stick with it and remain hopeful.
Apr 6, 2020 1:59 AM

Aug 2011
Quite optimistic about this first episode.
Not that much of a Digimon fan myself(only watched the OG serie, 02 & the Tri. movie collection) but this episode was actually quite good.

Also ok OP and nice ED.

4/5
Apr 6, 2020 2:33 AM

Jun 2013
Ohhhhh boi, this reboot is actually so much better than I was expecting (so far)! Tri disappointed me so much that I couldn't force myself to finish the movie series, but the animation quality in the trailer got me cautiously optimistic and the final product really blew my pessimism out of the water.

Honestly, where do I start? Just seeing every subtle twitch a character makes, every eye-pupil-change, and all the other nuances shows how much care and attention Toei is putting into this reboot, directing and animating-wise, and I appreciate it so SO much. The Tri movies were truly bland and tone-deaf and horridly-directed, but here every moment is timed perfectly, and the show-don't-tell philosophy is actually put into practice *coughTricough*

Example: Agumon flips over Taichi and Taichi, still having a wtf-is-going-on moment, lets out an awestruck "woah" with his head and eyes following Agumon's movement.

Pretty sure I'm overhyping this show in my nostalgic excitement haha. But honestly, I'm not just ecstatic about this series b/c of how low my expectations were for Toei. So many shows I've watched lately default to a moving manga aesthetic with characters just standing around. The directing for this show feels rather fresh and dynamic in comparison. (Which I'm also probably exaggerating but I'm excited, sue me)

Ok so character-wise, I know Toei had a very good template to base Taichi and Koushiro off of, but I'm sooooo glad that they both have such grounded and real personalities. A lot of anime can have very colorful or strong personalities (Hinata and Kageyama from Haikyuu can be rather intense (great chars tho)), and occasionally characters get so cartoonish or defined by a single quirk/catchphrase that they become extremely offputting (sorry AppliMon). Like the original digimon adventure, character personalities, interactions, and actions are kept normal and grounded, and I'm so very grateful. Taichi is outgoing and brave, but someone I can see meeting outside of anime-land. Eri Karan from AppliMon... I really can't.

I appreciate Toei taking a fresh direction in so many ways but keeping the personalities similar enough that it's like watching my childhood characters thrown into an alternate universe :)

The soundtrack isn't anything to write home about so far. An interesting choice of song to play right when Taichi puts on his goggles, jumps past the train gate and subsequently enters the digital world (or, the "network" is what it's called now?). A mysterious otherworldly fantasy-esque start-of-an-adventure song that definitely brought out the nostalgia emotions. :)) Feel like I'd expect a more action-y uplifting song in that scene, so at first I thought it was blatantly playing to the nostalgia of older fans. Now that I look back on it, I think it works tho? Or is that just the nostalgia talking LOL

Also it was a nice touch when three of Agumon's fireballs hit the viruses (what digimon even are they tho?) one by one to the beat of the soundtrack I guess.

I have criticisms of the first episode, but also this post is damn long enough so I'll leave those thoughts for next episode haha

Extra example: During Taichi and Koushiro's first meeting, the directing and animation and voice acting come together to show so much about their personalities and thoughts. We can see Koushiro go from stiff and nervous to more relaxed when Taichi introduces himself carefreely, to startled and unsure when Taichi invites him in, etc. etc. Love the fact that it's all in the body language!
Apr 6, 2020 2:38 AM

Jun 2013
Read through the comments, highly amused to see how polarizing this reboot is. XD

jrShark said:
I was hoping that it'll be good though. I find the character's decisions/actions/train of thought to be quite awkward and and unnatural so I guess this reboot isn't for me.

I actually thought the characters were a lot more realistic than usual anime characters, so I'm curious to hear why you thought they were awkward and unnatural instead
ThymeCatcherApr 6, 2020 2:59 AM
Apr 6, 2020 2:48 AM
Nov 2019
For a "kids" anime I actually enjoyed that far more than I should have...

Nostalgia sure takes you back to the good old "pre lock-down" days.

Just need an English dub so I can show it to my Grand-daughter who's 3.
Apr 6, 2020 3:01 AM
Jul 2019
Tbvh, on one hand I'm hyped and it was a really good ep but on the other hand, I'm so scared that it will only focus on Tai/Yamato and that we are going full circle towards the 02 ending. Can't shake off the feeling that they dropped a few hints:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6e4818ce4ae2009d73834c3198c3fff8/9b890a106e397fc3-db/s1280x1920/0e9ef8901c0cc022dc417731c7968dab049d1503.png

https://66.media.tumblr.com/c62f210fb49e596d357a4814843d5444/c0dcad3c0b29b86a-51/s540x810/23cb50b048f2531bf503c85f6b57dc70cd6c64e8.png

Pls, pls don't traumatise the next generation and give them what they want, it's just a kid's show.
Apr 6, 2020 4:11 AM

May 2017
hikarunu said:
pkmaster99 said:

They are trying to do Hosoda way of Digimon evolution(though Hosoda is "making fun" of typical Digievolution scene from TV series on other people PCs during streaming in Our War Game.)

shayed__ said:
Hmm not sure how to feel about this. Boruto's VA for Taichi and the old grandma Goku VA for Agumon.. kinda putting me off not gonna lie why couldn't they keep agumon's va from the TRI movies..

Nope, Agumon is still reprised by Chika Sakamoto which she is voiced as Agumon literally in every Digimon media(except Agumon in Savers/Data Squad). Most Digimons are from the same casts from TV series two decades back. Which is same with Tri.

Masako Nozawa(Goku VA) is only doing the narration. She is not new to Digimon either because she voiced as Guilmon/Dukemon in Digimon Tamers and Dukemon(Royal Knights) in X-Evolution and Digimon Savers/Data Squad.

pretty freaking sure that the grandma is voicing agumon. it sounds exactly like goku when he screams. I guess they sound really really similar then
Apr 6, 2020 4:34 AM

Dec 2018
The music was really good . But imo the animation could be a bit better! People didn't move in the backgrounds so they look like statues , But the other characters moved and other stuff like cars . And that made it look weird in my eyes

I really like Agumon and its personality and hes willingness to fight! Its a brave little guy and I like that! So overall not great but not bad either .And I definitely going to watch the next episode, For now I give it 6/10

Yuri-CrusaderApr 6, 2020 4:38 AM
Apr 6, 2020 5:01 AM

Jul 2017
Growing up with this along with Pokemon (the English dub for better or for worse), it's for sure that Toei Animation will (of course) keep its true source to the 20-year-old original whilst updating visuals.

OP is no Butterfly, but sounds as generic as shounen tends to go, which is all good and fine IMO. ED is nice.

The real caveat is of course, the characters (Taichi and Co.) along with their respective Digimon, which brings immense nostalgia...into the digital age, which is more ferocious than before (when compared to the original).

Needless to say, the fanboy I was so many years ago has reignited my love for Digimon, even as a kid living and breathing the Pokemon latter through this premiere episode.

A good start to a reboot of a long-running franchise.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2020

80 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 7 Discussion

Ishkoten - Jul 18, 2020

24 by lucsxcx »»
Apr 28, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 58 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2021

20 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 5:22 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 57 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2021

24 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 56 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2021

26 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 4:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.