Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 13, 2019 7:28 PM

Feb 2015
This is the first episode I've had a problem with period, and it's from a "willing suspension of disbelief" point, which isn't good. These fights came out of nowhere and winning against multiple lions is really pushing it. One I could have bought, the old one I could buy, but multiple young ones.... eh. Even with Gouhin's jacked panda ass supporting him and carrying most of the weight, this is a bit much.

Anime really, really need to stop over relying on voice acting and not be afraid to use properly manipulated sound effects. The growling is particularly what I have a problem with. Get some good audio engineers. You've already got fantastic VAs, get the other part of the auditory equation.

@AnotherGuy
You're not entirely wrong or being unreasonable. This is excessive. I personally don't give a shit, but it's easy to see how seeing 20 spoiler tags about the manga and the differences between it and the anime is annoying. While the disclaimer specifies it's spoilers (IE future chapters, which if you're being pedantic, don't include comparing differences) that are the issue, there should be some separation, and a separate thread could and should be made for something of this degree.

xStrayWolfx said:
Haha guess you're right. Hasn't felt like one so far to be honest. But now the shounen vibes are getting real, especially when we have a kinda OP protagonist with a buff sidekick. Also, Gouhin looks much like Rambo in the manga xD

The (unreasonable) fighting in this episode is probably the only thing that really denotes shounen within this series. I maintain that the only reason this is listed as a shounen is because its manga is published in a shounen mag. If this were a standalone anime or the manga was not published in shounen mag, it'd 100% be seinen or devoid of either label. It just does not fit the shounen genre or demographic. Especially considering some of the content of these last two episodes and in general.
Dec 13, 2019 11:25 PM
Feb 2015
ProofByColor said:
Seems like there was a lot of zero sum changes this episode, but also some really stupid ones. Idk why they didn't have Legosi and Panda team up in the alleyway. The anime made it look like Legosi just happened to stumble into the Lions base immediately after leaving Panda behind. I thought to myself the second I saw that scene that they must have cut something. Of course I was correct.

Additionally it's a bit unrealistic how Legosi and Panda man were able to storm into the base with a total of 35 lions and make it all the way to the top unharmed basically.

I mean all the character focused stuff was great like usual but still.

"Unharmed" are you serious ? They both took quite the beating.
Dec 14, 2019 1:17 AM
Dec 2019
ProofByColor said:
Idk why they didn't have Legosi and Panda team up in the alleyway.

My guess is they wanted to make the fight scene more interesting. Basically Gouhin just stays behind in that scene and at the end shoots the guy so Legosi doesn't get killed. In the manga it's pretty much as if he is not there during the fight till that final shot. If that is worth sacrificing the explanation how Legosi found the base? Dunno. He already knows it's at a pond, so maybe that made it easier?

For the people criticizing the shounenness of this scene: there is more of that to come, but most of it in parts that will not be adapted this season. I sometimes wonder whether this is what Itagaki wanted to tell, or if she had to do it. Because the readers in the Shounen magazine she is publishing in were expecting some action. Some people argue that some of her father is shining through in these manga sections.

The funny thing is that Orange already toned that tonal discrepancy down by
But I guess there is only so much you can do to the source material before it becomes unrecognizable.
Dec 14, 2019 4:09 AM

Jun 2013
Despite some of the changes, I was quite satisfied with this episode. It still delivered its intent. Even though we didn't get an exact gynecological examination the boss lion gave Haru in the manga he still inspected her in an extremely humiliating way as Haru wrote her mental farewell letter.

Yeah, it's unrealistic for a wolf and panda to storm in a yakuza den but then again, lots of shounen are pretty unrealistic with their action sequences.

I'm excited for the next episode! I always look forward to Beastars every Friday since I get to watch it on Fridays, where I live.
臭い-
Dec 14, 2019 7:15 AM
Apr 2015
Yautja said:
I maintain that the only reason this is listed as a shounen is because its manga is published in a shounen mag.

That's the only reason anything is considered shounen really.

Yautja said:
This is the first episode I've had a problem with period, and it's from a "willing suspension of disbelief" point, which isn't good. These fights came out of nowhere and winning against multiple lions is really pushing it. One I could have bought, the old one I could buy, but multiple young ones.... eh. Even with Gouhin's jacked panda ass supporting him and carrying most of the weight, this is a bit much.

I think it's kind of funny that you were being told in a roundabout way that this would be the case in the last episode thread and were still surprised.
Dec 14, 2019 8:06 AM

Feb 2015
PrettyColors said:
Yautja said:
I maintain that the only reason this is listed as a shounen is because its manga is published in a shounen mag.

That's the only reason anything is considered shounen really.

Yautja said:

I think it's kind of funny that you were being told in a roundabout way that this would be the case in the last episode thread and were still surprised.

We've already been here done that; no, not really. It is a genre and that's proven by almost every site, including MAL, listing it as such and the vast similarities almost all shounen share. A group of writings all gathered under one banner, sharing innumerable similarities, targeted at one audience is a genre. It's a change people do not like, but shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei have become genres just as much as they are demographics. It's especially clear when they intersect with other genres like romance, action, comedy, etc.

Yea well seeing it done and been told it's going to happen are two different things. I'm not going to actually give my verdict on events that haven't happened or are only implied to happen in the future, neither of which I've experienced for myself. It's almost like the last episode and this episode are not the same and do not share the issues I complained about.
Dec 14, 2019 10:02 AM
Apr 2015
Yautja said:

We've already been here done that; no, not really. It is a genre and that's proven by almost every site, including MAL, listing it as such and the vast similarities almost all shounen share. A group of writings all gathered under one banner, sharing innumerable similarities, targeted at one audience is a genre. It's a change people do not like, but shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei have become genres just as much as they are demographics. It's especially clear when they intersect with other genres like romance, action, comedy, etc.

I believe I said in the last thread that while I think battle shounen is a genre, which is what most people mean when they say shounen, shounen itself isn't really. If you go to the shounen genre page here on mal it shows slice of life dramas next to romantic comedies next to the standard super power shows. They don't have the same style or content and form is vague enough that it could just mean "they're all comics." If it was as easy to tell which demographic something falls into as you say people wouldn't be surprised that Beastars is a shounen or Nana is a shoujo or that 95% of cgdct shows are seinen. I mean Dead Tube of all things is a shounen for god's sake (something that MAL gets wrong but MU and Anilist get right).

Yautja said:

Yea well seeing it done and been told it's going to happen are two different things. I'm not going to actually give my verdict on events that haven't happened or are only implied to happen in the future, neither of which I've experienced for myself. It's almost like the last episode and this episode are not the same and do not share the issues I complained about.

It's not that I'm saying they're the same. Last episode you were asking why it was considered a shounen and said that it had nothing in common with battle shounen. I'm just pointing out that Gosha32 said last episode that there's shonen elements and listed off a few (though they didn't do an amazing job articulating them all) which you brushed off and in this episode you're complaining that there's an element strongly associated with battle shounen. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to complain or not like the direction this episode took. Nor does it mean that you can't disagree with it being a shounen, I just find it funny.
Dec 14, 2019 11:27 AM

Feb 2015
PrettyColors said:
believe I said in the last thread that while I think battle shounen is a genre, which is what most people mean when they say shounen, shounen itself isn't really. If you go to the shounen genre page here on mal it shows slice of life dramas next to romantic comedies next to the standard super power shows. They don't have the same style or content and form is vague enough that it could just mean "they're all comics." If it was as easy to tell which demographic something falls into as you say people wouldn't be surprised that Beastars is a shounen or Nana is a shoujo or that 95% of cgdct shows are seinen. I mean Dead Tube of all things is a shounen for god's sake (something that MAL gets wrong but MU and Anilist get right).

And I believe I disagreed. You don't get to have your cake and eat it. Arguing shounen isn't a genre but battle shounen is is insanely contradictory and hypocritical. It's overt cognitive dissonance. Battle shounen is just shounen + action, if you wanna argue it's a subgenre of shounen and action, like a romcom is to romance and comedy, fine, but you don't get to have your cake and eat it.

Like I said, it's most clear what shounen is when it intersects with other genres. Shounen romance is all very similar to itself, as is shounen action, shounen comedy, shounen SOL. Go on and try and tell me all shounen harems aren't exactly as similar to each other as all "battle shounens" are as similar to each other. The commonalities between the shounen genre also remain clear, but of course the manga themselves seem generally different due to the varying genres, as is the case with every genre and manga. You wouldn't say romance isn't a genre when it's matched with horror and it looks completely different than stand alone romance or a romcom. Manga which share one or two common genres tend to look very different when they also have one, two or several antithetical genres.

Deadtube is listed as Seinen, and considering the content of the manga, idk what the hell you're on about. MAL got that one "right" and everyone else is wrong as far as I'm concerned. What fucking moron thinks that's fit or aimed at shounen (8-18) or fits under the umbrella is beyond me. If anything, that being classified as shounen and published in a shounen mag makes my point for me.
1) The only reason some shit is labeled as a shounen is because of the magazine it's published. This does not make those things "actual shounen", but just gets the label even though they aren't "actual shounen".
2) People wondering "wtf that isn't shounen / why is that listed as shounen / why is that in a shounen mag?" makes the genre & demographic point. If magazines defined "shounen" either as a demographic or a genre, people would not be surprised when they find out those series are in a shounen mag / for some reason listed as shounen.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that bit at the end, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but I am pretty sure you don't quite understand what I'm saying, and we're not on the same page.
PrettyColors said:

It's not that I'm saying they're the same. Last episode you were asking why it was considered a shounen and said that it had nothing in common with battle shounen. I'm just pointing out that Gosha32 said last episode that there's shonen elements and listed off a few (though they didn't do an amazing job articulating them all) which you brushed off and in this episode you're complaining that there's an element strongly associated with battle shounen. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to complain or not like the direction this episode took. Nor does it mean that you can't disagree with it being a shounen, I just find it funny.

First off, no I wasn't asking that. Anyways, that is completely irrelevant to what you're responding to and what I originally said. You found it funny and said I should have expected X development to which I responded about how my expectations are irrelevant; my complaints about this episode and what I should have expected and the previous episode are all completely non-intersecting. I wasn't complaining about shounen or action but the execution and believability of this episode, which are completely unrelated to anything you've said.
Dec 14, 2019 3:24 PM

Dec 2014
Will really like if it is more than 12 episodes...the episodes keep on getting better
Dec 14, 2019 4:13 PM

Dec 2016
Meh, I was enjoying the ride when the show was focused on drama, mystery and psychological content, but with this hamfisted action shift just to keep entertained the demographic it's aimed to, does break my immersion along with my enjoyment.

As a couple had mentioned, Legosi either fighting or just avoiding a whole group of 30+ fearsome lions that no one even in the black market filled with predators want to deal, break my suspension of disbelief. It feels incredibly dumb that only the front gate guard is the only one with an actual gun. What's so intimidating about a group of lions that can be overrun in the most cheese videogame like speed run by just a teenage wolf and a panda armed with a xbow shooting bamboo sticks?

Haru's internal monologue and metaphorical will also broke the flow of the already cheesy story. It's okay to put her on the soapbox to make the audience understand how she feels about her life, but it feels very dragged to put it right in the middle of a sequence that had already stablished a faster flow. It could had been easily presented as either a monologue or a dialogue with Legosi after they were safe, away from the Lion's den. Sadly this was a cheap shonen trope terribly overused to stretch out content, and a good reminder of why I don't watch action shonen series on regular basis.

Guess I'll just lower my expectations for the finale and think of the series as a superb show in the early stage and forgetable later on (kinda like Mahou Tsukai no Yome's OVAs and the forgetable TV series)
Dec 14, 2019 5:27 PM
Nov 2019
I wasn't very happy with this one, not gonna lie. I currently have Beastars at an 8/10, but this episode was very blehh. They should have spaced this out more and made it a two parter or something, I mean in one episode Legosi not only finds the hideout after searching and getting no help from anyone, but we get a Haru backstory as he takes on all 35 Leo members with Gouhin, makes it to the top of that crazy tall building and confronts the boss... Thats just way too much and the content and potential emotional pull visibly suffered for that very reason. This episode alone is really making me consider dropping Beastars from an 8 to a 7/10 along with taking it down a solid peg in my list for best of season. Regardless, its still a good show this was just very disappointing after all this build up.
GooneyTunezDec 14, 2019 5:31 PM
Dec 14, 2019 5:36 PM
Nov 2019
Kimurah said:
Meh, I was enjoying the ride when the show was focused on drama, mystery and psychological content, but with this hamfisted action shift just to keep entertained the demographic it's aimed to, does break my immersion along with my enjoyment.

As a couple had mentioned, Legosi either fighting or just avoiding a whole group of 30+ fearsome lions that no one even in the black market filled with predators want to deal, break my suspension of disbelief. It feels incredibly dumb that only the front gate guard is the only one with an actual gun. What's so intimidating about a group of lions that can be overrun in the most cheese videogame like speed run by just a teenage wolf and a panda armed with a xbow shooting bamboo sticks?

Haru's internal monologue and metaphorical will also broke the flow of the already cheesy story. It's okay to put her on the soapbox to make the audience understand how she feels about her life, but it feels very dragged to put it right in the middle of a sequence that had already stablished a faster flow. It could had been easily presented as either a monologue or a dialogue with Legosi after they were safe, away from the Lion's den. Sadly this was a cheap shonen trope terribly overused to stretch out content, and a good reminder of why I don't watch action shonen series on regular basis.

Guess I'll just lower my expectations for the finale and think of the series as a superb show in the early stage and forgetable later on (kinda like Mahou Tsukai no Yome's OVAs and the forgetable TV series)

Agreed, this one was a swing and a miss. It really killed all the intrigue and suspense that it pushed on me in the beginning. Now I just think they can't do good fight scenes, or finish a climactic plot point which isn't giving me much hope for what the finale will be like.
Dec 14, 2019 8:45 PM

Apr 2015
Gosha32 said:
twoego said:
I think it's pretty strange how nerfed the lions were, did Legosi actually stand a chance against them? Some interesting stuff about Haru's life were shown, it was nice.

To be fair, he didnt actually fight most of them. He mostly dodged and just ran on.

Bingo, most he did was headbutt one of them and make another fall in the staircase.

There might be a sense of disbelief for some but don't worry, Gouhin definitely has the tools to kick those lion butts ;) (I guess they just don't wanna show it in the anime).
Dec 15, 2019 2:04 AM

Sep 2019
That bridge scene was nice. He friggin' shot his ear off and Gohin shoots him right in the back after a realisation, and then they had a bro-ment . Shame Legosi didn't have a full Yakuza (the game) moment, but hey, it was close enough.

Legosi really is a hero, but I'm glad Haru also stood up for herself.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Dec 15, 2019 5:39 AM
Apr 2015
Yautja said:
And I believe I disagreed. You don't get to have your cake and eat it. Arguing shounen isn't a genre but battle shounen is is insanely contradictory and hypocritical. It's overt cognitive dissonance. Battle shounen is just shounen + action, if you wanna argue it's a subgenre of shounen and action, like a romcom is to romance and comedy, fine, but you don't get to have your cake and eat it.

I'm not sure how it's hypocritical. Battle shounen has a distinct formula and tropes and the issue only arises because we didn't come up with a unique term for battle shounen and just use a modifier word (which I actually think is kind of a problem because Tsugumomo is basically a battle shounen but it runs in a seinen magazine).

Yautja said:
Like I said, it's most clear what shounen is when it intersects with other genres. Shounen romance is all very similar to itself, as is shounen action, shounen comedy, shounen SOL. Go on and try and tell me all shounen harems aren't exactly as similar to each other as all "battle shounens" are as similar to each other. The commonalities between the shounen genre also remain clear, but of course the manga themselves seem generally different due to the varying genres, as is the case with every genre and manga. You wouldn't say romance isn't a genre when it's matched with horror and it looks completely different than stand alone romance or a romcom. Manga which share one or two common genres tend to look very different when they also have one, two or several antithetical genres.

Shounen harems may share a lot of commonalities with each other but they also share those commonalities with seinen harems. I wouldn't say romance isn't a genre but I would definitely say that "teen boy" is not a genre which is what you're arguing for.

Yautja said:
Deadtube is listed as Seinen, and considering the content of the manga, idk what the hell you're on about. MAL got that one "right" and everyone else is wrong as far as I'm concerned. What fucking moron thinks that's fit or aimed at shounen (8-18) or fits under the umbrella is beyond me. If anything, that being classified as shounen and published in a shounen mag makes my point for me.

I don't see how it makes your point at all. If anything it just reinforces that you're going based on feel and nothing else.
Yautja said:

1) The only reason some shit is labeled as a shounen is because of the magazine it's published. This does not make those things "actual shounen", but just gets the label even though they aren't "actual shounen".

Yes the demographic it's aimed at and the magazine something runs are are the actual determining factors of if something is shounen or not. Your definition is too loose to actually be useful. See what I said about feel.
Yautja said:

2) People wondering "wtf that isn't shounen / why is that listed as shounen / why is that in a shounen mag?" makes the genre & demographic point. If magazines defined "shounen" either as a demographic or a genre, people would not be surprised when they find out those series are in a shounen mag / for some reason listed as shounen.

Doesn't that mean that people just have extremely narrow expectations for demographics or that there's major cultural differences in what's appropriate?

Yautja said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that bit at the end, it doesn't seem to make much sense, but I am pretty sure you don't quite understand what I'm saying, and we're not on the same page.
PrettyColors said:

First off, no I wasn't asking that. Anyways, that is completely irrelevant to what you're responding to and what I originally said. You found it funny and said I should have expected X development to which I responded about how my expectations are irrelevant; my complaints about this episode and what I should have expected and the previous episode are all completely non-intersecting. I wasn't complaining about shounen or action but the execution and believability of this episode, which are completely unrelated to anything you've said.

Dude you absolutely asked that:
Yautja said:
How is this in the same category as Fairy Tail, Blue Exorcist, Fire Force, Soul Eater, Nanatsu no Taizai, etc? How is it not with Kiseijuu, Erased, Black Lagoon, etc?
Dec 15, 2019 6:55 AM

Sep 2011
This was so good! I loved when Gouhin appeared and Legoshi was like: "Panda!" XD And it's really cool that he is risking himself to help Legoshi save Haru too since he barely knows them. He is a cool panda for sure. And I suspected as much, but I loved to get to know Haru better through that mental will too. That's what sex was to her, a form of validation. People didn't pity her during it, they desired her and she could finally be on equal ground with others. And she didn't care if people judged her either. After all, being hated was still better than being pitied. She also admitted she loves Louis-senpai even though she can't be honest about it. But she also thought about Legoshi when she was trembling and suffocating with regrets while thinking that she was about to die. She pictured Louis-senpai distant, but Legoshi was right there, holding her hand and giving her strength to make a last stand against that disgusting lion. It was all really good, but it isn't over yet. Louis-senpai did say that "someone might die tonight." There's also the way Legoshi referred to Haru as "prey" in the heat of the moment too. Welp, an episode came and went by, but I'm still on the edge of my seat.
Dec 15, 2019 7:24 AM

Oct 2008
OMG! That was a friggin' cliffhanger! but heroic as well! GO LEGOSHI! SAVE HARU!!!
5/5.

Dec 15, 2019 8:34 AM

Feb 2015
PrettyColors said:
I'm not sure how it's hypocritical. Battle shounen has a distinct formula and tropes and the issue only arises because we didn't come up with a unique term for battle shounen and just use a modifier word (which I actually think is kind of a problem because Tsugumomo is basically a battle shounen but it runs in a seinen magazine).

If you don't see the hypocrisy this is a pointless conversation. I think it's pretty clear how it's hypocritical. By admitting battle shounen is a genre (shounen + action) you admit shounen is a genre. Battle shounen is literally just shounen tropes, the shounen genre + action. You're basically saying cake doesn't exist, but spongecake does. You make it worse by denying the same applies to harems, or SoL, or comedy mixed with shounen. You admit battle shounen is a genre because of the tropes and formulas which are exactly what I use to describe shounen.

PrettyColors said:
Shounen harems may share a lot of commonalities with each other but they also share those commonalities with seinen harems. I wouldn't say romance isn't a genre but I would definitely say that "teen boy" is not a genre which is what you're arguing for.

The exact same could be said for battle shounen and seinen with action. All series that share genres share commonalities. And the lines between seinen and shounen are by definition thin. You're trying to have your cake and eat it again.
"You wouldn't say romance isn't a genre?" Jesus Christ man what is with that round about bullshit? Now I know this is pointless. You just don't know what genres are and what you're talking about. If you're going to nitpick that translation of the word, the same could be said about half the genres in the world that sound weird. Shounen, seinen, shoujo and jousei all have very clear themes, atmospheres, content, that align them together. It's insane how you can believe battle-shounen is a genre, but shounen isn't, for the exact same fucking reasons I believe shounen is a genre.

PrettyColors said:
I don't see how it makes your point at all. If anything it just reinforces that you're going based on feel and nothing else.

Because you very clearly don't know what you're talking about or what I'm talking about. That bit at the end also seems like some heavy irony and projection.
PrettyColors said:

Yes the demographic it's aimed at and the magazine something runs are are the actual determining factors of if something is shounen or not. Your definition is too loose to actually be useful. See what I said about feel.

No, they determine whether something gets the label, not whether or not they are shounen. If Nightmare on Elm Street was published in a shoujo manga that would not make it a shoujo. Dead Tube is obviously not aimed at a shounen demographic, and it doesn't fit the shounen genre, aesthetic, whatever term you wanna use, in any sense.

PrettyColors said:

Doesn't that mean that people just have extremely narrow expectations for demographics or that there's major cultural differences in what's appropriate?
No it means that these things exist as I say. If I said this duck is a dog you'd go "what the fuck, that's a duck, that's not a dog". It shows that people have a pretty clear conception of when something isn't what it's presented as. People realizing that Dead Tube or Beastars are not "shounen" shows that people actually have an idea of what shounen is and at the very least realize magazines do not properly dictate what shounen is. It also implies that shounen exists as a genre. If it were just a demographic that confusion would not exist.

PrettyColors said:

Dude you absolutely asked that:

You do know what a rhetorical question is yea?
YautjaDec 15, 2019 8:45 AM
Dec 15, 2019 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
I wasn't a big fan of the battle sections of this episode, but when the character work is as strong as it is, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief with it.
Dec 15, 2019 3:28 PM

Jun 2013
First bad episode of the anime.

Seriously? 2 dudes took out an organization of 35 seasoned gang members with a bamboo gun and fists? Even for a show about talking animals, this is just too much to accept.

The kidnapping thing is old and boring. How many times have I seen this same exact episode before in other shows? Hundreds at least.

Kind of a bummer because I thought the show was pretty unique before this. Now it's just a generic shounen. I'm hoping this little diversion is short lived so I can forget it happened.
Dec 15, 2019 7:41 PM

Jul 2016
Another fantastic episode. Curious to see so many people complaining about how "shounen" it was (despite this show being exactly one) but honestly, I didn't mind it at all.

Regarding the episode, I personally found Haru's monologue sequence to be quite interesting to hear. It helped a lot in giving her more characterization as well as making her behaviour be more understandable.
The OST was also on point this time. I absolutely loved it, especially the insert song used when Legoshi finally reached Haru.
Dec 16, 2019 4:21 PM

Nov 2014
I'm wondering how they plan on ending it if it's gonna be 13 episodes. I was expecting the search for Haru to be longer so I really don't know what to expect for the (hypothetically) last 3 episodes.

Dec 16, 2019 9:52 PM
Jun 2017
ttcchen said:
xStrayWolfx said:
Really great episode overall - slowly, the anime producers seem to cut out a bit of explanation for the sake of more action scenes. Beastars is turning into a shounen xD As long as they keep up the amazing story-writing / stick roughly to the manga, it's a nice direction :)

it is a shounen though lol

Shounen has just become a synonym of "fighting anime". Still, I don't consider Beastars a fully fledged shounen, nor a full-blown seinen. It's not a shounen because it has many themes that don't really suit a young adult audience, comparing it with the majority of the shounens out there, like sex, drugs, cannibalism, people trafficking, prostitution, turf wars and a long etc as the manga progresses.
Nonetheless, it lacks a more realistic and serious tone due to the highschool romance plot to be considered a seinen by plot alone.
Dec 16, 2019 9:55 PM
Jun 2017
So, for all I got Haru took a liking for Legoshi due to him not judging her like everybody else and treating her as a normal person, and he took a liking for her due to him being a shameless lolicon.

This is where the P L O T begins.
Dec 16, 2019 11:37 PM
Jan 2019
I really like the music in this episode always so immersive ! I hope for a development in the relation between haru and legoshi. I'm curious to know how they will finish it in only 3 episodes ?
Dec 17, 2019 3:59 AM

May 2009
Based Kousaki Satoru, he is so noticeable
Dec 17, 2019 8:25 AM

Apr 2015
Paulotronator said:
ttcchen said:

it is a shounen though lol

Shounen has just become a synonym of "fighting anime". Still, I don't consider Beastars a fully fledged shounen, nor a full-blown seinen. It's not a shounen because it has many themes that don't really suit a young adult audience, comparing it with the majority of the shounens out there, like sex, drugs, cannibalism, people trafficking, prostitution, turf wars and a long etc as the manga progresses.
Nonetheless, it lacks a more realistic and serious tone due to the highschool romance plot to be considered a seinen by plot alone.

By your own definition litteraly, an anime like Kiseijuu (or Parasyte the Maxim) should be labeled in the same way since the protagonist is intertwined in a highschool romance + the utilization of heavy thematics.
This just doesn't work.
Dec 23, 2019 4:34 AM

Apr 2018
Damn that ost plus that scene at the end was so cool
Dec 25, 2019 10:25 AM

Nov 2016
The reasons for Haru's sex life are human nature after all, nice touch.

Pretty great action in this episode and I was just waiting for Gouhin to show up. One thing, tho, even with those two teaming up, it's hard to believe they would be able to take down so many lions.

But anyway, directing was absolutely stellar in this episode, especially at the end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 26, 2019 3:16 AM

Mar 2015
Panda-san was awesome!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 26, 2019 2:46 PM
Nov 2016
I'm loving this anime so far but I have mixed feelings on this episode, I'm not a fan of the super-powered characters on animes that tries to be realistic like this one. The anime itself is good, however... that rambo crap thing going on in this episode was crap, how the hell does a teenage untrained wolf and an old panda is fighting their way through a mafia consisting of thirty-something LIONS... that was retarded, I knew it was going to be retarded when the first lion with the gun was talking crap instead of shooting with his damn gun... sigh

The last part of this episode was good and kind of emotional so I liked that one but I totally hated that rambo crap. I still like this anime a lot but this episode made me eye-roll quite a bit.
Dec 26, 2019 3:36 PM

Aug 2017
I binged watched the rest of the show yesterday but I forgot to copy and paste my comments of each episode on the forum so:

We really had a lot of action this episode. I'm a bit surprised that Legosi actually stand a chance against the lions.

2/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 2, 2020 8:12 PM

Feb 2014
i cant come to like this romance... it's so forced !><
Jan 9, 2020 12:56 PM

Aug 2015
It was a little bit weird to see one young wolf and a panda beating up a famous mafia group of vicious lions, kinda didn't make sense
but im liking haru and legosi' bonding a lot and really enjoyed the episode overall.
Jan 15, 2020 1:34 AM

Mar 2017
awee so that explains why she would always sleep with anyone :<
But still, I can't find my self shipping them >.<

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jan 16, 2020 6:28 PM

Oct 2013
It was epic and full of tension and stuff, but... come on - one angry wolf and buffed panda with a crossbow bested over 30 lions (and some of them even had guns)? ;p Meh.
Jan 25, 2020 5:56 PM

Nov 2012
So are the Leo group the ones who originally had Louis captive? I hope they can succeed in changing this society they live in and toppling the leo group.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 20, 2020 6:02 PM

Sep 2018
I want to say Haru don't deserve Legosi but her life is so sad and I want her to be happy too 😞 Legosi risk his life just to save her!!!! Haru so lucky to find a guy like him ❤️

I'm glad Panda saw him!! He have ally now!
Mar 19, 2020 7:47 AM

Aug 2009
Really not a big fan of the entire Haru getting kidnapped and Legoshi having to save her. The first half of the show was definitely more interesting.
Mar 23, 2020 4:52 PM

Apr 2016
I like how 3 members of the Leo Group came out of a door, opened it and everything, but then it's magically closed again. Legosi bursted through a door that was supposed to be opened already. I have mixed feelings about this. The whole break-in scene was kinda flawed.

Apr 1, 2020 3:04 PM

Mar 2019
Even the baddest of wolves can be noble at heart, but Legosi is the noblest of good boys. 10/10 have as a boy in your crib waiting to get the bread
Apr 1, 2020 5:13 PM
Mar 2020
What an intense episodes. Did i said this worldbuilding is superb? It is superb. Crime sindycates that operate in a forbidden food business? That's pretty cool. Old lion is a man of high tastes i see. The kind of tastes that makes you hate him even more.

Not a furry, disgusted by them. But i'd be damned if i said this wasn't a superb show. And i still have two more episodes left
Apr 13, 2020 1:06 PM

Jan 2016
Poor Haru >_<

That shit was really humiliating for her,

glad Legoshi came to help in time.
Apr 16, 2020 1:22 AM

Feb 2013
Legoshi was cool, against all those lions.
Apr 21, 2020 5:57 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I enjoyed this episode like a little kid in Disneyland, but my suspension of disbelief had to be adjusted. My man Legoshi got a powerup that would have made any shounen manga proud He was literally owning some hardcore gangsta lions. I don't know if the Beastars manga universe has wolves as being the alpha species, but it took some getting used

SquishyAtaraxia said:
LOCAL GRAY WOLF LITERALLY TOO ANGRY AND HORNY TO DIE

LOL, indeed, indeed!

Ashhk said:
I begin to understand how well written is Haru's character, wonderful episode.

Yeah. I didn't like her too much up until now. I understand more of why she behaves the way she does.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 2, 2020 12:53 PM
Feb 2019
This is a good anime but this episode was crap, period, this is the worst episode of this anime.

This anime didn't needed that Rambo crap thing, it would have been better if the wolf and the panda saved the rabbit in a "stealth" operation by cutting out the electricity and then relying on the wolf sense of smell to find the rabbit and rescue her but no, it had to be that "Rambo" bullshit and fight their way through the front door with a mafia full of blood thirsty LIONS... goddamn, that was retarded.

I would have given this anime a 8.5 but because of this retarded episode I will give it a 7.5, *sigh*
May 12, 2020 5:42 PM
Jun 2013
we got some crazy ass action and also we got a more in depth look into harus past and her through process on the sleeping matter and yea its makes sense. I dont get why some people here hate her since again it makes sense for the character. I guess haru did have some feelings for loui, but still ends up thinking about legoshi since he saw her just for her. At least haru was going to go out with some dignity then legoshi came bursting in like a hero. I'm willing to throw my sense of belief out the window for this.
souledge94May 12, 2020 5:45 PM
May 20, 2020 4:46 PM

Mar 2010
Legosi really proved he had what it takes to move forward, even if it costs his life. His virtue is true. Yet something bothers me when I see how reckless he is being. But if he doesn't do it.. who will?

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 27, 2020 10:17 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, surely, Legosi come to save the little bunny girl. But never expect the doctor panda to comes to join the escort! Nice battle action out there. The lion just too fragile to even called them a king of jungle. The wolf ftw, and ofc Haru will love Legosi now. Happy end!

Still, the reason of how Haru becoming a bitch really unacceptible to me. She just completely got brain-washed by that horny brown rabbit to take her virgin in such an easy attempt and do a slutty moment for awhile. Ofc Haru's happiness only got a temporary term, because you dont feel the eternal love by yourself. O Fuckbunnygirl, is she really the best girl? Your own decision to choose her! Still, love just clearly come in such a mystery way. I can't even blame that shit to happen. I just only hope the drama can satisfied my curiosity, how the life of animal bring the happiness. Only that.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 22, 2020 7:20 PM

Feb 2019
The panda was awesome, but I want to see Legoshi go beast mode on the lions
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beastars Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2019

112 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 10, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

178 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 10, 7:27 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2019

199 by chittripper1 »»
Feb 18, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2019

115 by Kvistis »»
Jan 10, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Beastars Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2019

104 by Kvistis »»
Jan 10, 11:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.