Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2017 5:42 AM

Oct 2015
Darek said:
I noticed a trend around MAL, people think that simply mentioning buzzwords and speaking about writing and quality while never forming proper arguments makes them somehow smart, like what? I do not understand how can someone talk about writing, and then whenever an argument pops up start using stuff like "fun to watch" or "funny" as if they held any meaning in a thread that is supposed to be about yet again... writing. On top of that there is nothing as amusing as screaming at how the top on MAL is bad while giving code geass, a show with more holes than a lesbian orgy a 9/10, again, what? I really do not like to play a pseudo-critic and a elitist of a sort but come the fuck on, you guys are so fucking dumb it is not even funny.

he says american cartoon are superior he he gave baccano probably the closet to western shows a 4, that says enuf
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Sep 13, 2017 5:43 AM

Jan 2016
IndianAnimeReker said:
kingraptor724 said:
Steins Gate is one of the animes that actually makes me think I shouldnt take MAL ratings seriously at all. I dont recall even laughing once, or finding the pseudo science even slightly interesting.

Correction. It's called Science-Fiction not Pseudoscience. As someone who has a fetish for Science-Fiction stories, and as someone who has re-watched the show countless times to find plot holes and to figure out the science behind it makes sense, I can guarantee you that S;G has one of the most scientifically accurate interpretation of possible backwards time travel in anime...no any show. Only movies like Interstellar are more scientifically accurate.

If you find time travel uninteresting then that's just your taste, the show didn't fail to pique your interest, you just have different interests.

More importantly, I highly disagree with your assertion that 'Japanese writing' sucks. If you haven't seen shows like Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Bakuman, Rakugo, LOTGH, Death Note, Sangatsu no Lion, Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell, Fate/Zero, Oregairu, Samurai Champloo, Terror in Resonance, Mob Psycho 100 or any Ghibli/Makoto Shinkai film then you have no right to even assert that American shows are better.

Avatar, Samurai Jack, Regular show etc., are all 'well-written' (whatever that means) but that doesn't make American cartoons any better. In fact most of them are highly similar/generic because cartoons are targeted squarely at children. Anime is the only medium that expresses a huge dynamic array of genres through 2D animation. From Hentai to Sci-fi.

If you take a scoop of water from the ocean you can't then conclude that whales do not exist. You need a bigger sample. Start watching the shows I've listed here and then see whether or not Japanese writing is worse.

Excellent reply even though I dont agree with your liking of steins gate. I hated baccano too so possibly I just hate plots around time travel. But I have seen death note and code geass and loved the writing for both. I just mean that there is like 100 animes for every good story opposed to 1 out of 3 for like american series. I do plan to watch spice and wolf and lotgh eventually, they both seem interesting.
Sep 13, 2017 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
kingraptor724 said:
Darek said:
I noticed a trend around MAL, people think that simply mentioning buzzwords and speaking about writing and quality while never forming proper arguments makes them somehow smart, like what? I do not understand how can someone talk about writing, and then whenever an argument pops up start using stuff like "fun to watch" or "funny" as if they held any meaning in a thread that is supposed to be about yet again... writing. On top of that there is nothing as amusing as screaming at how the top on MAL is bad while giving code geass, a show with more holes than a lesbian orgy a 9/10, again, what? I really do not like to play a pseudo-critic and a elitist of a sort but come the fuck on, you guys are so fucking dumb it is not even funny.

And do you think anyone takes you seriously rating the best cat and mouse show ever created as a 3? Death note was a master piece before L died.
Here we go again, no arguments just buzzwords. Come on, explain to me in detail then, how is death note a masterpiece? I wanna hear about its excellent writing, directing, 3 dimensional characters, amazing development and morally ambiguous questions that make you consider what is good and bad.

Also here is a funny thing tho I know you, just like any other MAL pleb will try to twist around. I never said anything about writing in here, I did not stated I rate my anime critically to begin with. While you talk big about it all while not applying it in practice in any shape of form, again, I wanna hear arguments, not one liners and buzzwords/phrases.
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Darek said:

he says american cartoon are superior he he gave baccano probably the closet to western shows a 4, that says enuf
He only mentioned two western shows with "excellent writing" (while to nobodies surprise not explaining what is so great about them) so eh, I don't even know why I bother with AD anymore.
Sep 13, 2017 5:46 AM

Mar 2012
Most probably because they don't care about the plot but rather make stuff that will sell. If the fans like a certain character they add in more fan-service scenes involving that character, they'll try to give him/her a prominent spot an make their role seem even more important to please the fans. And then to hell with the other characters and plot. Another thing might be using generic tropes and cliches most probably when they are stuck somewhere or simply to please the fans by satisfying their imagination. Unfortunately, its always the shitty tsunders that gain favoritism and have the upper hand either ways :(

I don't like American animation btw, even if not all anime may be great, Japan still has a wider variety.

May 2017
kingraptor724 said:
Darek said:

And do you think anyone takes you seriously rating the best cat and mouse show ever created as a 3? Death note was a master piece before L died.

You thick twat, do you really think that your opinion is the best one and everyone else is wrong?

Jul 2014
Darek said:

This. Granted, I've only seen snippets of Geass, I can't imagine it's a 9/10. Plus, Deathnote's latter 1/3 is reason enough to make it an 8 max.
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Sep 13, 2017 5:49 AM

Aug 2016
kingraptor724 said:
This thread was suppose to be about how japanese make far worse writers than americans. Ignoring hollywood movies though, most are trash.

Alright, this is a blanket statement. Go read novels by Haruki Murakami, Yasunari Kawabata, and Yukio Mishima. Then come back and say that Japanese writers are crap.

Seriously.

Sturgeon's Law, man. 90% of everything is crap. The only reason it seems like so much anime is crap is because there's so much more of it now than ever before. Granted, I'd argue that the corporate mill that churns out these shows for mass consumption is failing to do anything really interesting right now and that the majority of Japanese pop culture is disposable by design. That's good for business but it is no different than how Hollywood has been operating for decades. You have to search for good stuff nowadays because whereas once the cream would rise to the top, currently the mass of mediocrity buries and obfuscates the meritorious. Yeah, anime might be stagnating but the "Galapagos Syndrome" has a lot to do with that and stagnating does not mean "descending into garbage."

As for MAL rankings? Yeah, don't take them seriously. The site administrators had to make it so that you couldn't rate a show that hasn't yet aired because Attack on Titan Season 2 topped the charts over a year before it was released. So yeah, anybody who tells you that you can take MAL rankings seriously wants to stay in their safe space and will do whatever it takes to preserve it.

Also, put your own opinions in check a bit. Arguing taste is ridiculous because taste is one of those things that is totally subjective. Just because you like or dislike something doesn't make it bad. There's a chance that you just didn't "get" it. Lots of anime out there are bad but lots are also misunderstood and get lower scores than they deserve.
Sep 13, 2017 5:50 AM

Dec 2016
kingraptor724 said:
SuperRed said:
You and your 20 completions sure gives your opinion a lot of weight.

If you noticed alot of my list is animes on top of MAL, so it doesnt take like 400 animes to realize this is the best anime Japan can bring out.

The best that Japan brings to us will NEVER be found in MAL's top 20, bc most people (like me) would rather be entertained than have their brain cells tickled. It's just how things work.
If you're so picky, search for Josei and Seinen anime with 8+ ratings. You'll see what Japan can truly offer.
Sep 13, 2017 5:50 AM

Jan 2016
Darek said:
kingraptor724 said:

Here we go again, no arguments just buzzwords. Come on, explain to me in detail then, how is death note a masterpiece? I wanna hear about its excellent writing, directing, 3 dimensional characters, amazing development and morally ambiguous questions that make you consider what is good and bad.

Also here is a funny thing tho I know you, just like any other MAL pleb will try to twist around. I never said anything about writing in here, I did not stated I rate my anime critically to begin with. While you talk big about it all while not applying it in practice in any shape of form, again, I wanna hear arguments, not one liners and buzzwords/phrases.
Scarlett_ryuken said:

He only mentioned two western shows with "excellent writing" (while to nobodies surprise not explaining what is so great about them) so eh, I don't even know why I bother with AD anymore.

If I wanted to write you a detailed review why death note is great and you're wrong for giving it a 3; then I would write a detailed review and link you to it. Why waste paragraphs on top of paragraphs discussing this in a forum.
Sep 13, 2017 5:51 AM

May 2017
themegamancave said:
Darek said:

This. Granted, I've only seen snippets of Geass, I can't imagine it's a 9/10. Plus, Deathnote's latter 1/3 is reason enough to make it an 8 max.

for me code geass was a 9, even though it had its flaws but I still enjoyed watching it(which is the only criteria rate by)
Sep 13, 2017 5:52 AM

Oct 2015
>I hated baccano too so possibly I just hate plots around time travel.
fcking lol
im done,
Sep 13, 2017 5:52 AM
Jul 2018
kingraptor724 said:
Darek said:

If I wanted to write you a detailed review why death note is great and you're wrong for giving it a 3; then I would write a detailed review and link you to it. Why waste paragraphs on top of paragraphs discussing this in a forum.
Of course it is totally true and it is not that you just can't form a proper argument for shit, and also... again... one liners, how do you expect anyone to treat you seriously?
Sep 13, 2017 5:53 AM

Apr 2017
I'd bet you like that western adaptation of Death Note in Seattle.. since you despise their culture very much lol

These guy seems so cracked about my routine today

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 13, 2017 5:53 AM

Jan 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
>I hated baccano too so possibly I just hate plots around time travel.
fcking lol
im done,

Time travel ruins alot of animes. Why would you take a classic and unique 1900s America gangster anime and throw in potion drinking immortality.
Sep 13, 2017 5:55 AM

Jun 2015
Grabs popcorn.

Well that escalated quickly.
Sep 13, 2017 5:57 AM

Oct 2015
well considering time travel means travelling through time and baccano is just immortal people, either you're misusing buzzwords to sound cool, or you literally didnt get baccano
Sep 13, 2017 5:57 AM

May 2016
Lol, sometimes I feel like the only one who likes time travel shenanigans. Specially when is a elaborate clusterfuck the likes of the Zero Escape series.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 13, 2017 5:58 AM

Jan 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
well considering time travel means travelling through time and baccano is just immortal people, either you're misusing buzzwords to sound cool, or you literally didnt get baccano

Not that kind of time travel. Baccano was not showing scenes in chronological order. You start to feel you are understanding whats going on and then they throw it all away near the end.
Sep 13, 2017 5:59 AM
Aug 2017
kingraptor724 said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

First of all, that's a retarded statement. I can find more than a hundred shows outside the top rated ones which are more or less better.

I believe you, so lets make room by removing garbage like gintama, kimi no na wa, and steins gate off the top.

I know this is supposed to be the most dumbest thread on MAL and your each post is as hilarious as it can be so I am not taking your any word seriously because I know that you have a good humor and trying to make others laugh as well .

But even for a joke , how can you call an anime garbage when you haven't seen it yet ? Let's hear your funny reply again .
Sep 13, 2017 5:59 AM

May 2016
kingraptor724 said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

Not that kind of time travel. Baccano was not showing scenes in chronological order. You start to feel you are understanding whats going on and then they throw it all away near the end.

What, you don't like plot twists and mind games with the audience?
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 13, 2017 6:00 AM

May 2017
Stop enabling him, please. He thinks that only his opinion is correct, you can't really do anything about that. Like you can't debate about shows if the criteria you judge them by are totally different
Sep 13, 2017 6:00 AM

Oct 2015
oh right since this IS an anime vs cartoon discussion, lets call it AD's expert
@Pullman
@Johnnyd3rp
Sep 13, 2017 6:01 AM

Oct 2015
kingraptor724 said:

Excellent reply even though I dont agree with your liking of steins gate. I hated baccano too so possibly I just hate plots around time travel. But I have seen death note and code geass and loved the writing for both. I just mean that there is like 100 animes for every good story opposed to 1 out of 3 for like american series. I do plan to watch spice and wolf and lotgh eventually, they both seem interesting.

Well it is true that most anime shows are pretty bad or not 'well-written' but the number of really great shows in this Medium alone is already quite high compared to American cartoons. I don't really see this as a flaw since great, unique, well-written shows are very hard to produce, market and sell.

Most anime is made to be sold as entertainment and most people are entertained by simple, generic type shows like comedy, romance, drama, action-thrillers, and let's not forget the elephant in the room: Ecchi. So it should be unsurprising to find a medium like Anime to make so many 'dumb' shows that are made to be sold or enjoyed. Also a well-written show doesn't mean everyone who watches it will like it because they are generally more complex to truly understand. This is probably why Ghost in the Shell is not as famous as Attack on Titan.

The fact that there are so many hidden gems and well-produced/meaningful shows in this Medium that pumps so many shows every season and employs underpaid workers, producers, directors etc., is a testament to the strength of the industry (and hence their writing talent) not their weakness. This is just my point of view on the matter anyway.
Sep 13, 2017 6:02 AM

Jan 2016
CoolNameOmoenai said:
kingraptor724 said:

I believe you, so lets make room by removing garbage like gintama, kimi no na wa, and steins gate off the top.

I know this is supposed to be the most dumbest thread on MAL and your each post is as hilarious as it can be so I am not taking your any word seriously because I know that you have a good humor and trying to make others laugh as well .

But even for a joke , how can you call an anime garbage when you haven't seen it yet ? Let's hear your funny reply again .

You dont have to watch an anime to know its bad. Just look at the poster for it and watch the op music video and then you will know.
Sep 13, 2017 6:04 AM

May 2016
"You don't need to watch na anime to know its bad"

Oh boy, things are escalating quickly XD

Dude, this is literally the definition of judging a book by it's cover.
HyperLSep 13, 2017 6:16 AM
Sep 13, 2017 6:04 AM
Jul 2018
You dont have to watch an anime to know its bad. Just look at the poster for it and watch the op music video and then you will know.
Alright, I am done, I am done, either this is a bait or I do not know anymore.
Sep 13, 2017 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
kingraptor724 said:
CoolNameOmoenai said:

That's just fucking stupid,You shouldn't judge an anime by the poster/opening
Sep 13, 2017 6:05 AM

Jan 2016
IndianAnimeReker said:
kingraptor724 said:

Well it is true that most anime shows are pretty bad or not 'well-written' but the number of really great shows in this Medium alone is already quite high compared to American cartoons. I don't really see this as a flaw since great, unique, well-written shows are very hard to produce, market and sell.

Most anime is made to be sold as entertainment and most people are entertained by simple, generic type shows like comedy, romance, drama, action-thrillers, and let's not forget the elephant in the room: Ecchi. So it should be unsurprising to find a medium like Anime to make so many 'dumb' shows that are made to be sold or enjoyed. Also a well-written show doesn't mean everyone who watches it will like it because they are generally more complex to truly understand. This is probably why Ghost in the Shell is not as famous as Attack on Titan.

The fact that there are so many hidden gems and well-produced/meaningful shows in this Medium that pumps so many shows every season and employs underpaid workers, producers, directors etc., is a testament to the strength of the industry (and hence their writing talent) not their weakness. This is just my point of view on the matter anyway.

So this is why waifu animes are ranked so much higher than they actually deserve. You make a good point, quality writing doesnt = fans. The world is unfair in many ways, not that Im surprised.
Sep 13, 2017 6:08 AM

Jan 2016
Darek said:
Alright, I am done, I am done, either this is a bait or I do not know anymore.

Which great animes have bad ops? You just have to watch the HxH op and then you know its going to be an epic show.
Sep 13, 2017 6:11 AM

Sep 2017
Why the hell am I late for this shit. Sad. Hahaha
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

Jul 2012
If you want more diversity I suggest reading manga more. Sadly because the industry is the way it is they won't produce something unless it has a cookie cutter format. You may find manga to have a more unique stand point on things. You will also get internal character conflicts you don't really see in anime(but is common in western animation).
As far as your list of seen, I would say the problem is that there are some gem animes that just don't rank high with the MAL community. Maybe checking out some Anime Youtubers recommendations will help you find something more you are seeking?

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

May 2017
kingraptor724 said:

Fuck, I took the bait.
Nice one, played us all good
Aug 2017
kingraptor724 said:
CoolNameOmoenai said:

Well here we go . Now I have just heard the most dumbest and hilarious (if you intended it to be funny ) thing on MAL. So MAL users who by any chance is taking this guy seriously , just read this guy's post .
Sep 13, 2017 6:13 AM

Sep 2016
>Completed only 20 anime.
>Death Note rated as 10
>Says Japanese writers are trash.

Oh, we're either with a not very original shitposter or someone that's really that stupid. Anyway...
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Sep 13, 2017 6:15 AM

Jan 2016
Oh boy. Not trying to sound all high and mighty but if you have to watch an anime from start to finish to judge it. Then well you are not the most intelligent person out there.
Sep 13, 2017 6:15 AM

Oct 2015
kingraptor724 said:

So this is why waifu animes are ranked so much higher than they actually deserve. You make a good point, quality writing doesnt = fans. The world is unfair in many ways, not that Im surprised.

Yes, although it is a chore, you really have to dig into the medium to find the truly great shows. Which is why this website MAL is so great. Simply trawl back in time season by season and scope out shows that you think are great. No easy feat I'll tell you. After watching more than 6000 episodes of anime I've only amassed maybe around 50 truly great shows. Not a big deal. All of these shows were highly entertaining and interesting to watch and unlike most of the scrubs on MAL I wouldn't want things to change in the industry. Let Japan do Japan and let the market forces run their course.

If anything the real flaw of this industry is their annoying tendency to not make complete adaptations. Whether that will change or not is entirely upto the demands of the Japanese audience anyway.
Sep 13, 2017 6:17 AM

Jan 2016
IndianAnimeReker said:
kingraptor724 said:

Yes, although it is a chore, you really have to dig into the medium to find the truly great shows. Which is why this website MAL is so great. Simply trawl back in time season by season and scope out shows that you think are great. No easy feat I'll tell you. After watching more than 6000 episodes of anime I've only amassed maybe around 50 truly great shows. Not a big deal. All of these shows were highly entertaining and interesting to watch and unlike most of the scrubs on MAL I wouldn't want things to change in the industry. Let Japan do Japan and let the market forces run their course.

If anything the real flaw of this industry is their annoying tendency to not make complete adaptations. Whether that will change or not is entirely upto the demands of the Japanese audience anyway.

You need to use alot of free time to find the truly great shows that are buried under the popular ones. I do have faith that there is some gems out there I havent seen yet just a shame it will take awhile of time.
Sep 13, 2017 6:17 AM

Feb 2012
Maybe that is true, but I will still continue to watch anime instead. That is because I use this life-hack, where I watch/read things instead of percentages. If it happens to get patched out, I'll reconsider my stance then.
Sep 13, 2017 6:19 AM

Jan 2016
mecharobot said:
Maybe that is true, but I will still continue to watch anime instead. That is because I use this life-hack, where I watch/read things instead of percentages. If it happens to get patched out, I'll reconsider my stance then.

I continue to do so because there is a severe lack of american tv series that are like anime. Its mostly normie crap like rick and morty and gravity falls etc.
Sep 13, 2017 6:19 AM

Nov 2014
kingraptor724 said:
there is already 2 that would be on top of MAL

How would you know they'd rank anywhere up there? Last time I check MAL ratings don't bend to anyone's personal opinions, so your opinion that them 2 would rank top doesn't make that happen.

Sometimes I'm surprised that certain kinds of anime rank pretty high, other times I'm surprised no one cares for a great show. You are mistaken in assuming those American animation would slot into the MAL rankings exactly how you think it would.

kingraptor724 said:
If you noticed alot of my list is animes on top of MAL, so it doesnt take like 400 animes to realize this is the best anime Japan can bring out.

Yes, because the only thing that you could possibly find good are anime that a great number of other people already find great.
-said no one with a taste, ever.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 13, 2017 6:21 AM

May 2017
kingraptor724 said:
Oh boy. Not trying to sound all high and mighty but if you have to watch an anime from start to finish to judge it. Then well you are not the most intelligent person out there.

IKR, I just usually have to look at the name of the anime to understand its story.
After seeing a poster for death note I already knew that L will die and N and mellow will take his place.
But my high iq is also a curse, I can't enjoy anime at all as there is no excitement left.
I am happy I found someone like me,
What's your iq mate?

Jan 2016
BurningSpirit said:
kingraptor724 said:
there is already 2 that would be on top of MAL

How would you know they'd rank anywhere up there? Last time I check MAL ratings don't bend to anyone's personal opinions, so your opinion that them 2 would rank top doesn't make that happen.

kingraptor724 said:

Yes, because the only thing that you could possibly find good are anime that a great number of other people already find great.
-said no one with a taste, ever.

It is fair to say castlevania and avatar would top MAL because they both top imdb. And imdb has a wide variety of reality shows and cartoons.

Feb 2016
Jesus christ you guys! MAL forums are really getting cancerous lately :p
Sep 13, 2017 6:22 AM

Mar 2017
I refuse to acknowledge humanity has fallen so low that this is an actual serious thread so I rate 6.5/10 bait.

Castlevania was shit. It's a meme, nothing more. Any praise it got here was just a failed attempt at a redux of SHELTER vs r/anime mods. The MAL mods didn't bite and the community largely didn't give a rat's ass.

Clebardman said:
@kingraptor724 Toradora! also has some of the less believable highschoolers and dialogues ever, and an awful case of overblown and pointless drama. And that story-telling, eeeew. But hey, keep bashing S;G publicly, I'll cover you (^:

Oh really? Which drama is that?

IndianAnimeReker said:

More importantly, I highly disagree with your assertion that 'Japanese writing' sucks. If you haven't seen shows like Space Brothers, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Bakuman, Rakugo, LOTGH, Death Note, Sangatsu no Lion, Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell, Fate/Zero, Oregairu, Samurai Champloo, Terror in Resonance, Mob Psycho 100 or any Ghibli/Makoto Shinkai film then you have no right to even assert that American shows are better.

>Makoto Shinkai
>good writing

>Ghost in the Shell
>good writing

Pick one.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 13, 2017 6:24 AM

Oct 2015
kingraptor724 said:

It is fair to say castlevania and avatar would top MAL because they both top imdb. And imdb has a wide variety of reality shows and cartoons.

Imdb gave Spiderman:Homecoming an 8/10 which I find truly appalling considering I found it to be one of the worst Marvel films to ever come out (not as bad as Ant Man). I know it's unrelated but I'm generally highly sceptical of Imdb and Rotten Tomatoes' ratings.
Sep 13, 2017 6:25 AM

Jan 2016
IndianAnimeReker said:
kingraptor724 said:

Imdb gave Spiderman:Homecoming an 8/10 which I find truly appalling considering I found it to be one of the worst Marvel films to ever come out (not as bad as Ant Man). I know it's unrelated but I'm generally highly sceptical of Imdb and Rotten Tomatoes' ratings.

Ill give you that since cowboy bebop and one punch man are 8.9 on imdb. But even then the ratings on imdb for animes are very similar to mal
Sep 13, 2017 6:28 AM

Nov 2014
kingraptor724 said:

You replied pretty quick. I did add this into my previous post
BurningSpirit said:
Sometimes I'm surprised that certain kinds of anime rank pretty high, other times I'm surprised no one cares for a great show. You are mistaken in assuming those American animation would slot into the MAL rankings exactly how you think it would.

Basically I'm saying that you ideas of these shows slotting into MAL wouldn't go as smoothly as you'd think.

In any case, all in saying is that you have a taste. Only bouncing from top list anime to another top list anime isn't going to satisfy that. There's bound to be top list anime you dislike and non-top list anime you love.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 13, 2017 6:35 AM

Oct 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:

>Makoto Shinkai
>good writing

>Ghost in the Shell
>good writing

Pick one.

Um. Both? Are you trying to imply that either Ghost in the Shell or a Makoto Shinkai film are not well-written? A show that deals with Sci-Fi, Mystery, Police, Psychological, Philosophical genres/themes is the complete opposite of a Romance, Tear-jerker (a highly generic direction). The fact that Makoto Shinkai can make 'feels' stories without making them epicly stupid (like Anohana) is a testament to how well-written his movies are.
Sep 13, 2017 6:36 AM

Jun 2015
You listing of a single good American TV show to justify your blanket statement ensures your lack of basis for this entire claim. If you aren't willing to gather a considerable amount of experience in a particular medium, then you're in no place to project this kind of farce.

There's really nothing more to say here. Best to just watch this thread crumble on itself as OP goes down with the sinking ship.
Sep 13, 2017 6:42 AM

Jul 2015

IndianAnimeReker said:
kingraptor724 said:
Steins Gate is one of the animes that actually makes me think I shouldnt take MAL ratings seriously at all. I dont recall even laughing once, or finding the pseudo science even slightly interesting.

Correction. It's called Science-Fiction not Pseudoscience. As someone who has a fetish for Science-Fiction stories, and as someone who has re-watched the show countless times to find plot holes and to figure out the science behind it makes sense, I can guarantee you that S;G has one of the most scientifically accurate interpretation of possible backwards time travel in anime...no any show. Only movies like Interstellar are more scientifically accurate.

If you find time travel uninteresting then that's just your taste, the show didn't fail to pique your interest, you just have different interests.

More importantly, I highly disagree with your assertion that 'Japanese writing' sucks. If you haven't seen shows like Space Brothers, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Bakuman, Rakugo, LOTGH, Death Note, Sangatsu no Lion, Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell, Fate/Zero, Oregairu, Samurai Champloo, Terror in Resonance, Mob Psycho 100 or any Ghibli/Makoto Shinkai film then you have no right to even assert that American shows are better.

Avatar, Samurai Jack, Regular show etc., are all 'well-written' (whatever that means) but that doesn't make American cartoons any better. In fact most of them are highly similar/generic because cartoons are targeted squarely at children. Anime is the only medium that expresses a huge dynamic array of genres through 2D animation. From Hentai to Sci-fi.

If you take a scoop of water from the ocean you can't then conclude that whales do not exist. You need a bigger sample. Start watching the shows I've listed here and then see whether or not Japanese writing is worse.

@kingraptor724 tell how awful japanese writing is and gave Death Note a 10. After the death of you know who, the whole show went downhill in quality. I would say it is bad as the first eps of Steins;Gate, if not worse.

It is the same old subjective "taste" issue hidden as a writing critic.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

622 by Shizuna »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9399 by anime-prime »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you think male ecchi for men could work as a concept?

Anjuro - Yesterday

32 by Nurguburu »»
16 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 9 hours ago

21 by Spunkert »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » gay or gar anime

deg - Yesterday

10 by alshu »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.