Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2015 5:16 PM

Jul 2012
I was just wondering whether people in this age group or even beyond watches anime or if they think it's too childish for their age. Do you have a friend who watches anime in that age group or are you that person?

Not to be rude or anything. Just wondering.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 22, 2015 5:19 PM

Jun 2014
Yes, my Mom is in her late 40s, and she likes Anime.

There's also a few people on MAL who are 40+ who watch Anime.

Jul 22, 2015 5:19 PM

Nov 2014
Of course.
There are some ojisans in this forum

Jul 22, 2015 5:22 PM

Nov 2014
My 60 year old mother likes a few Miyazaki and Kon movies.

It's also worth noting that a lot of people who make anime are in their 20s, 40s, 60s, and so on, and naturally they watch their own work.
Jul 22, 2015 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
Of course, Ojii-san is stll watching harem and ecchi animu desu ne~
Jul 22, 2015 6:42 PM
Apr 2015
My moms love the stuff I show her, usualy; FMA, One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin, hell she liked FF7 Advent Children. Christ, she LOVED Berkserk and Death Note. My dad had a few chuckle in One Piece, he would probably love other goofy anime like this, probably Gintama or something crazy. Some guy at work mentionned Akira and I was like O.o whuttttt?, did not expect that.

If someone find something they like, they will probably watch it, so chance are there is people in any group of age watching anime.
Jul 22, 2015 6:45 PM

Jul 2015
My dad is getting close to 50, and he watches anime.
"People who neglect to make efforts or who don't take any actions at all are always the ones who dream that someday they will suddenly become wildly successful."-Misaki Nakahara
Jul 22, 2015 6:46 PM

Oct 2014
Seinen is made for men from 17 years old up into their 40s. Josei is the same for women. I'm sure there are people in the west that old who watch anime too, but like everything anime related it is more common in Japan.
Jul 22, 2015 6:48 PM
May 2015
They do, I know some older people who have seen and recognise Ghibli movies. My aunt, who is in that age group watches it, which was surprising when I found out, especially considering it's the dark and violent stuff.

But yeah, they do, although I suspect the vast majority of viewers are teens and twenties, dwindling off after then. I think mid 20's onwards your tastes start to change so less and less stuff becomes appealing. That's what I found. So I'd expect come that age group, it will be quite a small audience and narrow in tastes.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Jul 22, 2015 6:49 PM

Jun 2015
I've never seen one in my place. but I'm sure I'll become one of those in the future :D
ANIME FOR LIFE.
Jul 22, 2015 6:54 PM
Oct 2012
Caticia1 said:
I was just wondering whether people in this age group or even beyond watches anime or if they think it's too childish for their age. Do you have a friend who watches anime in that age group or are you that person?

Yep, self claimed. People who are worried about whether something is "childish" is not much of an adult. Good is good, fun is fun, something that is enjoyable is something that is enjoyable. I have never met a truly intelligent person (and I have met some really smart ones) who couldn't enjoy childish things. The capacity of joy and wonder should never be lost.
Jul 22, 2015 7:42 PM

Jan 2009
im in my 30s now so i will get back to you in 10-20 years
Jul 22, 2015 7:45 PM

Jan 2015
Of course. I am in my 70s but still wasting my time watching Japanimation
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 22, 2015 7:50 PM

Oct 2012
I think that 40-50 year olds WILL watch anime once this generation reaches that age, but the anime boom was fairly recent. Most 40-50 year olds now probably didn't even know about anime when they were young. It's possible that some are introduced to it and love it but ask this question in 20-30 years and you'll get a much better answer.

There's also the issue that in general most 40-50 year olds don't really participate in online communities, again some do but it's not as common for them as it is for younger people who grew up with the internet.
Jul 22, 2015 7:51 PM
Feb 2014
my parents are miyazaki fans and they were the ones who showed me totoro and spirited away
Jul 22, 2015 9:48 PM

Jun 2015
I'm in my early 30s, began watching anime in my late teens, I plan on watching as long as I can, I love the anime hobby, that includes manga, anime, figures and comics sci fi. Why not still like it? Most of the people who run studios etc. are older. Most of the directors, animators, writers and manga creators are really old. But they still love their work. Also, what is so great about anime/manga is that there is something for all ages and so many genres to make your head spin. I think most people will always be young at heart :)
Jul 22, 2015 9:54 PM

Jun 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Caticia1 said:

Yep, self claimed. People who are worried about whether something is "childish" is not much of an adult. Good is good, fun is fun, something that is enjoyable is something that is enjoyable. I have never met a truly intelligent person (and I have met some really smart ones) who couldn't enjoy childish things. The capacity of joy and wonder should never be lost.

Gosh, I have friends in late 30s to 50s and 60s who still love comic books, transformers, star wars etc. so for anime why not? Nice quote there at the end about the capacity of joy and wonder :)
Jul 22, 2015 10:07 PM

Apr 2015
If they can watch TV shows and Hollywood movies then why not anime? Sure there are some who watch anime even in their 40s-50s. It's the same as watching TV shows and stuff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2015 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
I don't have friends around that age group, but I'm pretty sure there's bound to be those who stay true to anime until that age.
Jul 23, 2015 2:33 AM
Feb 2012
Now I can't help imagining that MAL is full of otaku sugar daddies.

Seriously though (as serious as this kind of topic can get, that is), if you're still watching kawaii moe moe girls while in your 40s or 50s then you miiight wanna think about reevaluating your life choices.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jul 23, 2015 2:37 AM

Nov 2011
i'm 52 just like franku and i will molest u

no one will hear you scream

no one will hear you shouting for help

just u & me locked up in my special room
Jul 23, 2015 2:47 AM

Mar 2015
I could see myself going through an anime phase at that age if I hadn't started earlier - there's a lot of good stuff to see out there, but I'm starting to get to the point where I'm running out quickly. I imagine as I get older I'll mostly just be checking out the rare seasonal anime that looks really interesting.
Jul 23, 2015 2:55 AM
May 2009
Rachmaninow said:

Seriously though (as serious as this kind of topic can get, that is), if you're still watching kawaii moe moe girls while in your 40s or 50s then you miiight wanna think about reevaluating your life choices.

If they were single and without children maybe.
Jul 23, 2015 2:58 AM

Aug 2011
zetsu_shoren said:
i'm 52 just like franku and i will molest u

no one will hear you scream

no one will hear you shouting for help

just u & me locked up in my special room
Sounds like a great fun.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Jul 23, 2015 2:59 AM

Feb 2015
Yes esp series with lolies involved id say . Still i am 21 year old so i dont have real clue about it.
Jul 23, 2015 3:21 AM

Dec 2013
Nostalgia is the worst kind of fan
Stuck in their past, loser in their present. Talk like an elitist to prove that they have some knowledge
It doesn't matter whether those 40 or 50 years old watch anime or not, since most of them do nothing at all to the industry, but taking it down with their failure life instead
Jul 23, 2015 6:06 AM

Jun 2015
I am in that age group and have watched anime since I was a teen. I still root for Rick and Lisa.

moonnya said:
Stuck in their past, loser in their present. Talk like an elitist to prove that they have some knowledge
It doesn't matter whether those 40 or 50 years old watch anime or not, since most of them do nothing at all to the industry, but taking it down with their failure life instead

My failure life includes a wife, two daughters, and a good job.

Here's a clue for you: a persons interests and hobbies don't go away just because they have a few extra birthdays.
DariamusJul 23, 2015 9:22 AM
Jul 23, 2015 6:39 AM

Apr 2012
i am 31 and wont stop watching until one piece ends.... so: never :D
NiQue_Jul 23, 2015 6:43 AM
Jul 23, 2015 6:40 AM

Jul 2013
phreeak said:
i am 31 and wont stop watching until one pience ends.... so: never :D
so tell me are you a wizard or nah?
Jul 23, 2015 6:56 AM

Feb 2014
Well my uncle is almost 40 and he's a huge anime fan and he can draw every character he sees, so i think they do exist :D

Jul 23, 2015 7:10 AM
Jul 2015
i'm 70 year old weeaboo
Jul 23, 2015 8:18 AM

May 2014
Might still be watching One Piece by then x))
Jul 23, 2015 8:22 AM

Nov 2014
Dariamus said:
I am in that age group and have watched anime since I was a teen. I still root for Rick and Lisa.

moonnya said:

My failure life includes a wife, two daughters, and a good job.

He's a clue for you: a persons interests and hobbies don't go away just because they have a few extra birthdays.
the truth has been spoken motherfuckers

Jul 23, 2015 8:29 AM
Jul 2013
ChibiRico8 said:
My moms love the stuff I show her, usualy; FMA, One Piece, Shingeki no Kyojin, hell she liked FF7 Advent Children. Christ, she LOVED Berkserk and Death Note. My dad had a few chuckle in One Piece, he would probably love other goofy anime like this, probably Gintama or something crazy. Some guy at work mentionned Akira and I was like O.o whuttttt?, did not expect that.

If someone find something they like, they will probably watch it, so chance are there is people in any group of age watching anime.

You are one lucky bastard, your whole family likes to watch anime.
Jul 23, 2015 8:31 AM

Dec 2013
My dad who is in his mid 40's still occasionally watch's anime. And when I make it to my 40's I still plan to be watching anime as well.
Jul 23, 2015 8:32 AM

Mar 2012
No, they don't. It's physically impossible.
Jul 23, 2015 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
Poll needs more options, and yes people around that age do watch anime.
Jul 23, 2015 8:36 AM

Jun 2014
CG-Silver said:
If they can watch TV shows and Hollywood movies then why not anime? Sure there are some who watch anime even in their 40s-50s. It's the same as watching TV shows and stuff.

no age limit for anime
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 23, 2015 9:31 AM
Jul 2013
Milk_is_Special said:

The more I see your signature, my head is going places where it shouldn't if you know what I mean, ohh well, it can't be helped :D

Fizix said:
But yeah, they do, although I suspect the vast majority of viewers are teens and twenties, dwindling off after then. I think mid 20's onwards your tastes start to change so less and less stuff becomes appealing. That's what I found. So I'd expect come that age group, it will be quite a small audience and narrow in tastes.
My Otaku comrade, this is no a laughing matter, if you love anime <3 <3 <3 <3 so much you will be watching it through your whole life, that is what I will dooo anyway. ^^

jengjeng26 said:
I'm in my early 30s, began watching anime in my late teens, I plan on watching as long as I can, I love the anime hobby, that includes manga, anime, figures and comics sci fi. Why not still like it? Most of the people who run studios etc. are older. Most of the directors, animators, writers and manga creators are really old. But they still love their work. Also, what is so great about anime/manga is that there is something for all ages and so many genres to make your head spin. I think most people will always be young at heart :)

Well the Anime becoming more of a culture tho as we even have our own slang etc, now when it's coming to this whole culture/hobby, there are not only Manga, Anime, Figures, SCI FI but also if you really into Anime that much (<3) and I mean A LOT you can also include Cosplaying which is amazing as we can meet new people there who shares the same passion as us without a fear of rejection from them.

jengjeng26 said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Gosh, I have friends in late 30s to 50s and 60s who still love comic books, transformers, star wars etc. so for anime why not? Nice quote there at the end about the capacity of joy and wonder :)
Well let me explain it to you, stuff like comic books, transformers, star wars and why not is accepted in most of the time in our society as it was developed well before you or I was born and it was carried through so many years that people started accepting this existence, just you wait a bit and that will be the same case with Anime in maybe another 10 - 15 years.

Rachmaninow said:

No wonder current society is screwed ....

Maguro-chan said:
There's also the issue that in general most 40-50 year olds don't really participate in online communities, again some do but it's not as common for them as it is for younger people who grew up with the internet.
Well, it's true cos of the generation time, the last generation most of the time in their past didn't gave a crap about computers as we do now and they even didn't image that computers could control cars (the self-drive cars etc) so I guess that's the main reason for it but since technology is needed for most of the stuff in today's world they starting to developing their skills in that area, even the basic stuff but not everyone tho.
Tomasz-SamaJul 23, 2015 9:37 AM
Jul 23, 2015 9:40 AM

Jun 2015
Tomasz-Samaq said:
Well, it's true cos of the generation time, the last generation most of the time in their past didn't gave a crap about computers as we do now and they even didn't image that computers could control cars (the self-drive cars etc) so I guess that's the main reason for it but since technology is needed for most of the stuff in today's world they starting to developing their skills in that area, even the basic stuff but not everyone tho.

People born in the 70's did not care about computers?

http://www.commodore.ca/commodore-products/commodore-64-the-best-selling-computer-in-history/
Jul 23, 2015 12:28 PM

Jul 2015
Well considering anime started in the 1960's, I would imagine that there are some people that still watch it.
Jul 23, 2015 12:30 PM
Jan 2015
Of course my uncle loves Ninja Scrolls
Jul 23, 2015 1:56 PM

Jun 2015
I can't speak for 50 year olds but I know for late 20s to mid to late 30s, we were part of the pioneering of online communities when America Online just came out and other similar messaging sites. I think young people, early 20s and younger forget that computers have been around for a long time, somebody's generation had to create them, develop them, and actually use the content. There would be no Sentai or Funimation, crunchyroll etc. if it weren't for guys like Viz Video, Manga, Central Park Media, ADV who dared to be great and take this niche hobby to another level.
Jul 23, 2015 2:02 PM

Aug 2014
There probably are
Jul 23, 2015 2:03 PM

Jun 2008
Can't speak for that age but I'm 26 and I'm pretty sure once I hit 40 I'll still be watching :P

I think the question more or less becomes whether you'll have the time to watch...
Jul 23, 2015 4:41 PM

Jun 2015
Einalem said:
Can't speak for that age but I'm 26 and I'm pretty sure once I hit 40 I'll still be watching :P

I think the question more or less becomes whether you'll have the time to watch...

Got kids, family, job, mortgage, you just have to squeez it in, no pun intended
Jul 23, 2015 4:41 PM

May 2012
Tomasz-Sama said:
the last generation most of the time in their past didn't gave a crap about computers as we do now and they even didn't image that computers could control cars (the self-drive cars etc) so I guess that's the main reason for it but since technology is needed for most of the stuff in today's world they starting to developing their skills in that area, even the basic stuff but not everyone tho.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I began using computers at college in 1968. At the time I was submitting programs on punch cards and experiencing three-hour turnaround times to see whether I had made a typo on one of the cards. I've used everything from IBM mainframes to smartphones in the forty-plus years since then. Starting in the mid-1990s I began using Linux, first on servers, and for the past decade, on desktops as well. I have a number of college classmates with similar backgrounds and experiences.

As for the original question, I find fewer and fewer shows worth watching these days. Since the recession the industry has concentrated more and more on productions targeted at adolescents and young adults, so the pickings for older viewers like me have become much slimmer. I still maintain subscriptions at Crunchyroll and Funimation, but I'm down to watching 1-3 shows per season. I watch the occasional moe show if it's well produced. For instance, I followed Hibke! Euphonium last season and Shirobako before that. But I'd still prefer to watch shows like Monster, Uchuu Kyoudai, or Hyouge Mono. There just aren't very many of them being produced any more.
SeijiSenseiJul 23, 2015 4:54 PM
Jul 23, 2015 4:43 PM

Apr 2014
Tomasz-Sama said:
Milk_is_Special said:

The more I see your signature, my head is going places where it shouldn't if you know what I mean, ohh well, it can't be helped :D
Can't help it either. I need something which corresponds with my name so yeah, won't remove it anytime soon.
Jul 24, 2015 10:14 AM

Mar 2012
Rachmaninow said:

I can't say for sure how my general attitude towards anime will change over the years or what life has in store for me, but the dimension where I 'grow out' of K-ON at a certain age is not the one we seem to be living in friendo.

So yeah, you can 're-evaluate' my asshole.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how "loved" is your #1 fave character of all time ?

ame - Jun 25

48 by Zayvex »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime girl's underwear do you wanna buy?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

10 by ColourWheel »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » How hard is watch old animes ?

Henrique-Senpai - 10 hours ago

31 by ColourWheel »»
29 minutes ago

» Which DIRECTION Is Your Waifu Facing?

BerriesSan - 1 hour ago

9 by Archean-Return »»
31 minutes ago

» Best episodic anime

JoeChip - Yesterday

24 by Kdog1998 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.