Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 6, 2015 3:54 PM
Jul 2015
For the sake of HXH,DragonBall,Naruto, Bleach and other manga/anime that have similarities to one another, can we all just agree to them being inspirations?
Aug 6, 2015 3:55 PM

Mar 2015
Anime_No_Jutsu said:
For the sake of HXH,DragonBall,Naruto, Bleach and other manga/anime that have similarities to one another, can we all just agree to them being inspirations?

I'm pretty sure this thread is just in response to Mikasa's countless "everything ripped off Hunter x Hunter" threads, but repeating an annoying trend just makes you annoying.
Aug 6, 2015 3:59 PM

Dec 2012
ThelMi said:
Even if it was a copy of DB, who gives a shit.

Probably those who think it's the most unique and/or most original battle anime/manga.
Aug 6, 2015 4:00 PM
Oct 2013
Just kill this thread the end.
Aug 6, 2015 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
Not really. All shounens have something (can be plural) in common, but that doesn't mean it is a rip off of a particular series which in this case is DB.
Aug 6, 2015 4:02 PM

Jun 2013
Anime_No_Jutsu said:

Agree. I usually let it pass but I can't say the same with Black Clover.. Have you read it? Boy, if it's animated, hell would break loose. At least in MAL.
Aug 6, 2015 4:03 PM

Nov 2013
No.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 6, 2015 4:27 PM

Jun 2015
I don't get all the Mikasa talk... Can someone explain?
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Aug 6, 2015 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
Calista777 said:
I don't get all the Mikasa talk... Can someone explain?

AttackOnTetris said:

I'm pretty sure this thread is just in response to Mikasa's countless "everything ripped off Hunter x Hunter" threads, but repeating an annoying trend just makes you annoying.
Aug 6, 2015 4:49 PM

Oct 2010
Is Hunter x Hunter (2011) a rip off of the Hunter x Hunter manga? Somebody make a thread for this please.
Aug 6, 2015 4:53 PM

Mar 2015
jal90 said:
Is Hunter x Hunter (2011) a rip off of the Hunter x Hunter manga? Somebody make a thread for this please.
why not anime are rip off of manga instead?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 6, 2015 4:56 PM

Jan 2009
jal90 said:

I dunno about that but I'm pretty sure that Hunter x Hunter(2011) is a rip-off of Hunter x Hunter(1999)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 6, 2015 5:04 PM

Oct 2014
Those stuff you said were not exclusive to DBZ.
VenomousAug 6, 2015 10:03 PM

Aug 6, 2015 5:05 PM

Jan 2013
They're both super generic characters.
Aug 6, 2015 5:07 PM
Mar 2011
every action based manga in the shonen Demographic tarces its roots back Ring Ni Kakero
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 6, 2015 5:08 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yeah HxH is a ripoff of DBZ just because one of HxH's antagonist has green-colored skin and has tail....
Suuurrreeee~

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 6, 2015 5:11 PM

Jan 2009
FGAU1912 said:
every action based manga in the shonen Demographic tarces its roots back Ring Ni Kakero

and it rips-off Ashita no Joe 'cus there's boxing in both of them

Aug 6, 2015 5:12 PM
Mar 2011
_Peksi said:
FGAU1912 said:

no RnK was made as Tribute to Joe
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 6, 2015 5:16 PM

Jan 2009
FGAU1912 said:
_Peksi said:

I stand corrected.
But in that case RnK=AnJ tribute
all battle shounen rip-off RnK
=all battle shounen are a tribute to AnJ

Aug 6, 2015 5:18 PM

Apr 2012
everything is a rip off barney

Aug 6, 2015 5:21 PM
Mar 2011
_Peksi said:
FGAU1912 said:

I stand corrected.
But in that case RnK=AnJ tribute
all battle shounen rip-off RnK
=all battle shounen are a tribute to AnJ

RnK Standardized alot of the tropes ie yelling out a sp Attacks no name the biggest Joe was more if a stright sports tale whiel RnK has Spieacl named attcks like Galtica Magnum ofr exmaple

the manga was made in the 70s the anime was made in the 2000's

Aug 6, 2015 5:29 PM

Mar 2015
Every male character can fit into 4 types, just like every female character can fit into 4 types.. Also, villains are almost always alike in shonen, and a lot of them are similar, especially when you are talking aliens and shit. When your MC is crazy fucking strong, you need to have an almost perfect villain to make it challenging... Derp. I mean unless you want Villains that just get walked on, with no fight whatsoever. But then that would be ripping off SAO.. ;P
Aug 6, 2015 5:40 PM

Jan 2009
jonny5tud said:
Every male character can fit into 4 types, just like every female character can fit into 4 types.. Also, villains are almost always alike in shonen, and a lot of them are similar, especially when you are talking aliens and shit. When your MC is crazy fucking strong, you need to have an almost perfect villain to make it challenging... Derp. I mean unless you want Villains that just get walked on, with no fight whatsoever. But then that would be ripping off SAO.. ;P

Okay this got me kinda interested.
What are those 4 types and are they exclusively for protagonists or do secondary characters also apply?

Aug 6, 2015 5:42 PM

Feb 2010
Regardless of what the OP said being true or not, HxH it's not just the chimera ant arc.
Aug 6, 2015 5:43 PM

Mar 2013
They are tropes. DBZ is based on something else as well.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Aug 6, 2015 6:14 PM
Mar 2014
robis798 said:
It really is awkward when the supposed rip off is miles better than the original.

F/SN and F/Z has a similar awkward relationship. :>

how would F/Z and F/SN be rip off of each other when there the same series[/quote]
Similar, not the same.[/quote]

F/Z is supplementary to F/SN. They're both parts of the same story. Besides, that 'rip off is miles better than the original' thing only applies to the anime versions, so this is a bit different tbh.

In order to not end up too off-topic, I'll stop talking about that, though.

weflynn said:
first thing people might say when reading the question is that dragonball is an influential series that inspired many of the popular manga in shounen jump like one piece (especially this one), bleach, naruto, etc

but hunter x hunter unlike other shounen jump manga seem to have an almost identical ideas and stuff.

examples:

Gon is extremely similar to Goku to start it will thier names are similar and their hairs are similar. Gon's signature attack (rock paper siccosr) is literally the same as Goku's attack on the first half of dragonball minus the aura and nen of course. Goku has a unique weapon when he was a kid (the red staff), Gon had a unique weapon for the first arc of the story (the fishing pole).

Gon's rage for
is very much like Goku's rage when Krillin first died and when he died in the freiza saga (even the same aura like pressure). Gon is selfish sometimes and very determinted about what he wants and Goku can be very selfish, even putting the lives of others and the Earth itself on danger, simply because he wants a good fight (this in particular some people seem to forget). Goku is naive sometimes and very trusting of people when he shouldn't so is Gon.

Personality wise they are exteremly similar cheerful, competitive, like a good fight, trusting, naive, wants to win a fight cleanly, doesn't take people's charity, their rage, etc

Then there is the chimera ant arc and Meruem.

Meruem's character design is pretty much Freiza + Cell. His personality is extremely similar to Cell.

found this post on a site:
''Meruem shares traits with the main villains from the Dragon Ball series. Like King Piccolo, Vegeta, & Frieza, Meruem has a royal epithet ("The King") and various beings who are loyal to him. Also like the previous 3, he is not above showing cruelty and delighting in it. More specifically like Vegeta and Frieza, he isn't above killing those who are loyal to him; Meruem's body also vaguely resembles Frieza's with the purple color scheme (namely, the deltoids and shins) and using his tail to hit others. Meruem's appearance is also similar to Cell's (in particular his hands, tail & color scheme of green & purple). In addition, Meruem shares the same goals as Cell: initially wanting ultimate power, and then later, wishing to test their abilities & enjoy themselves (though in Meruem's case, he mainly does this through gungi with Komugi); they also both represent the idea of perfection in strength, as they are created to be all-powerful. Finally, like Majin Buu, he is significantly changed from a merciless person to a being capable of compassion because of a person who is greatly weaker than him (in the case of Buu, these people are Bee and Mr. Satan)."

Like King Picoolo Meruem invades a palace and take it over.

So Meruem is basically every Dragon Ball Z villain in one.''

So what do you think?

I'm not going to argue against Gon being a Goku rip-off (although some differences make me disagree), but basing half your argument around that is downright silly.

The execution of most scenes that can be compared between the two series is vastly different, such as that of
, which makes the scene far more substantial than Krillin's death in DBZ. It also was not just a consequence-free powerup, but rather
Not to mention that

Also, can you define 'wants to win a fight cleanly'? Gon is naive, but he isn't one of those retarded protags who rush into a battle without any plan and just punch their way to victory. He also isn't nearly as trusting as you make him out to be.

Calling Meruem a Cell rip-off when the latter was pretty 1 dimensional while the former is arguably one of the best anime villains to date is plain stupid. The 'perfect being' thing is kind of implied and the design really is strikingly similar, but that's not enough to make a character a rip off of another. The funny part in this all is that even if you ignore the absurdity of using such a large part of the show's character cast to call a character a rip off, saying that Meruem resembles Buu, Cell, Frieza AND Vegeta all at the same time actually just serves to make him a more unique and interesting character.

so yeh.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Aug 6, 2015 6:16 PM

Apr 2014
Everything is a rip off of Astro Boy, you should know that by now.
Aug 6, 2015 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
laidellent said:
tr1ckst3r said:
Inb4 Mikasa.
Aug 6, 2015 7:14 PM

Jan 2014
Mikasa still hasn't showed up.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 6, 2015 7:15 PM
Jun 2015
Similarities doesn't make something a rip off. Every show has things in common with other shows. What matters is what sets the show apart. And there are way more things about hxh that set it apart
Aug 6, 2015 7:19 PM

Nov 2013
magicalprincess said:
Similarities doesn't make something a rip off. Every show has things in common with other shows. What matters is what sets the show apart. And there are way more things about hxh that set it apart

Yeah, it rips off Jojo too and put in stands.
Aug 6, 2015 7:21 PM
Feb 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Mikasa still hasn't showed up.

saddy34 is him
Aug 6, 2015 7:29 PM

Jun 2015
No it's not a rip-off unless you're saying that every manga and anime that came out after DB is a rip-off.
Also FYI Naruto is a HxH rip-off.
Aug 6, 2015 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
Yes, some things are similar but HELL TO THE NO that it's a copy/rip-off of Dragonball.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2015 9:59 PM

Apr 2015
HUH? RIP-OFF? DB is way better than HxH.

Dragon ball is a legend and pillar of anime. What is Hunter x Hunter? Just bad ass characters you can clone and not even original.
#CHEXIT
Aug 6, 2015 9:59 PM

Apr 2015

Dragon ball is a legend and pillar of anime. What is Hunter x Hunter? Just bad ass characters you can clone and not even original.
#CHEXIT
Aug 6, 2015 10:04 PM
Dec 2011
It has a much worse cast of characters and designs, fails at making an adventurous world and atmosphere and topped off with inferior action. So yes, HxH is a boot-leg version of DB.
Aug 6, 2015 10:34 PM

Jun 2014
Gon is inspired from Goku and Meruem is a Cell homage. Two characters with vague similarities is not enough to make a claim of rip off.
Aug 6, 2015 10:38 PM
Dec 2011
HxH ripped off Naruto.
Aug 6, 2015 10:43 PM

Sep 2014
Aug 7, 2015 12:10 AM

Nov 2013
Is every long running shounen ever rip-off of every long running shounen ever?
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 7, 2015 12:24 AM

Dec 2013
Imeon said:

Double posting makes you even more correct.
Aug 7, 2015 12:32 AM

Feb 2015
No
Aug 7, 2015 1:29 AM

Oct 2014
If anything HxH was similar to the ORIGINAL DB, not DBZ.
Aug 7, 2015 1:33 AM

Jan 2015
Lol this thread made my day.

Definitely a lot of similarities but nothing that truly stands out as "ripping off". If anything Kishi was jut paying Homage to Togashi for in various ways the first few years.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Aug 7, 2015 1:35 AM

Nov 2012
CDXX said:
You should PN Mikasa this theory.
Aug 7, 2015 1:38 AM

Apr 2013
Its pretty obvious dat Togashi is copying Toriyama's works aka Dragonball.

I mean the facts are all out there people.

Togashi puts hunter x hunter on hiatus -> cuz he is too busy playing dragon quest -> dragon quest = art and character designs from toriyama!!!!!

Case closed fools.
Aug 7, 2015 1:45 AM

Aug 2014
HOLY SHIT, I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING. Nen is just Ki with a bunch of words slapped onto it, plus the vows and limitations... Mind = blown.
Aug 7, 2015 1:56 AM

May 2015
Nah, I didn't give a shit. I found DB boring (maybe bcuz it made by Toei in 80s?)

Is "X is a ripoff of Y" thread a thing right now?
Aug 7, 2015 1:58 AM

Jun 2014
Yes.

Just like Kill la Kill is a rip-off of Pokemon since both have an elite four. Damn rip-offs.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1046 by Ougi0Best0Girl »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 15, 2013

162 by samagra7 »»
Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

933 by LizIsListing »»
Sep 18, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 134 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2014

329 by Ravin-AnimeList »»
Sep 17, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeGundam - Oct 1, 2011

406 by chris1763 »»
Sep 16, 9:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.