Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 25, 2015 10:39 PM

Apr 2012
the Meteor successfully destroyed, bad end route avoided. :D

i got mixed feelings with the ending, Happy that Yuta(Pine) finally reach good ending after after 1 billion times continue to repeat and Sad that Yuta is still dead(well at least only his body lol) and his friendship with Guriko broken for forever?.

can't believe Chiranosuke is life now. :o

in the end Yuta soul possessing Rabura and tell to the Justice Members that he will going make supremely peaceful and happy future.

Go Yuta! to The True Ending! :D

This anime is surprisingly good 8/10 :D
although i quite confused with the story.

oh ya that song is good, fitting the atmosphere :)
AcezHarfianzJun 25, 2015 10:44 PM

Jun 25, 2015 10:59 PM

Jan 2009
another bittersweet ending, oh well
Jun 25, 2015 11:06 PM

Jun 2013
Dude has a tragic hero death and t hey offer up panties for him LOL
Jun 25, 2015 11:41 PM

Oct 2008
Seriously, how is this not the best show ever? For those complaining about the first half, you're not looking at the bigger picture. As someone who enjoys looking at anime as a whole instead of episode by episode, the first half was a brilliant way of not only pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, but also setting everything up - giving the viewer a limited perspective and then building up from there. Many things will make much more sense in retrospect and I love shows like that (Hot Fuzz, Madoka, Haruhi). (Also, you guys are way too hard on ecchi shows.)

This show just hits all the right notes for me. Time travel, action, mecha, super powers, memorable characters, great designs, ecchi, and a brilliantly executed storyline and ending that pretty much accounted for all the plot threads that it set up. In a sense, it's a show that perfectly melds together many aspects of what makes otaku culture great.

I want figures. Badly.
Jun 25, 2015 11:50 PM

Jun 2012
2edgy4me
They tried too hard with the plot
Yuuta was legit, the rest of the cast kinda indifferent

Watching it wasn't a chore though, so there's that
Worth watching for the middle cards as well

Anyway 5/10
Jun 25, 2015 11:56 PM

Aug 2012
If you think about it, there's still a lot in the timeline that has to be fixed to truly get a happy ending so I don't think the latest Pine (Yuta) spirit that travelled back to the past again will be the one who will get the true ending anyway. I'm assuming the true ending that Pine wants is one with nobody dying (from the meteor or whatever reason), he and his childhood friends reunite happily, and have them all return to their own original bodies.

Preventing his death like in the storyline we followed in the anime would probably be easy enough and just require him to stop Chiyoko from transforming at the end cause the asteroid was going to be stopped anyway but we have to take note that they won't be able to return to their original bodies anymore because the three of them would have to transform to do it and since Chiyoko can only transform one last time, one of them will certainly die. Best case would probably be for Pine and Guriko to switch bodies leaving Chiyoko in Guriko's body just to fix the gender issue. Another possibility, hoping that Pine realized it while he was observing everything in spirit form, is for Pine to stop Chiyoko from transforming sometime before the events near the ending so that she can still transform one last time for the body switching. Although, there's a possibility that doing so would severely affect the timeline and prevent the almost happy ending to happen altogether.

I don't really find it sad though that Pine would be sort of cursed in repeating history again and again cause realize that each Pine that's going through the timeline only experiences it once. He's not really experiencing history again and again. It's sad though that the Pine we followed throughout the anime passed away.

I do hope they make some sort of extra episode in the future to show what the true happy end would be.
Jun 26, 2015 2:02 AM
Jun 2015
Had to come out of lurking because this show doesn't seem to be getting its due credit.

Actar said:
For those complaining about the first half, you're not looking at the bigger picture. As someone who enjoys looking at anime as a whole instead of episode by episode, the first half was a brilliant way of not only pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, but also setting everything up - giving the viewer a limited perspective and then building up from there.

Xenobreaker said:
I don't really find it sad though that Pine would be sort of cursed in repeating history again and again cause realize that each Pine that's going through the timeline only experiences it once.

Chiranosuke is a master manipulator. Yuuta getting shot in Kenji costume and MC sacrifice are all part of his master plan. Everything is going smoothly. Dark spirit in the general is true villain. Rabura must have been told how to exorcise it and save the other girls in order to preserve Chiranosuke's timeline which is crucial to the story we're watching. Still all according to plan.

Guriko loves her friends. Wants them to be W's so they can Uberfy, body-swap, live happily ever after, etc. Sees Chiyoko suffering after Uberfying at the shrine. Must convince them to be W's to help preserve her body no matter what. After final battle realizes it's hopeless and Guri resigns herself to be the sacrifice. Spirit Yuuta must watch Pine sacrifice himself -- Chiranosuke says feelings build bonds. Must still be part of the plan.

This entire season is the prologue to Happy Ending next Yuuta will be working to create. Chiranosuke has already seen everything in this season happen before. He keeps Yuuta in the dark as early as ep2. Why would he show his cards now?

If this story gets a conclusion (game, OVA, S2, whatever), I give this a 10/10. Great music, humor, doesn't spoon-feed answers to the viewers. I can overlook the lack of explanation of Uberfication and their childhood, even Guriko's motives after the bridge accident since it could be explained later on.

Actar said:
Seriously, how is this not the best show ever?

Low spirit level viewers are unable to comprehend the absolute and awesome beauty of Punch Line ... or panty lines.
Jun 26, 2015 2:52 AM

Nov 2008
8/10 series.

Superfresh and energetic and emotional.
Jun 26, 2015 2:52 AM

Mar 2013
Damn! What an bittersweet ending that was :(

As much as I admit that the ultimate sacrifices in the end makes it more impact-full and something out of your ordinary box, but it sure leaves a sad and weird taste in my mouth resulting conflicted and mixed feelings. Now I'm not sure how to rate it :/ More rating because of the ultimate sacrifice or a bit less due to the bittersweet taste it left behind? I dunno...

Some questions tho-

1. First, what's the deal with Chiranosuke? Does he forgotten about all the events that happened so far and turned into a normal cat? If yes, then how and why?

2. Does Yuuta's (Pine) embodiment soul forever stuck into that infinite loop?

3. I don't know much, but does an alternate ending exists in this w/e video game or LN? If yes, can someone explain about that ending then? I mean, being happy and truly peaceful one, where Yuuta doesn't have to sacrifice himself and everyone gets to live...
Jun 26, 2015 3:07 AM

Jan 2013
I admire the fact that he sacrificed himself and let the "evil guy" alive to repent for what he has done. Nowadays that doesn't happen.

Other than that, it was still a bit messed up sometimes, it probably would have worked better as a game.
Jun 26, 2015 4:17 AM

Apr 2013
drendren said:
ichii_1 said:

It's more like he went back to make a 100% happy future for everyone with his current knowledge.
Because there is no longer a need for a loop since the meteor is destroyed.
He went back on purpose.

But that doesn't make any sense. The meteor still exists in the past and the only reason they were able to arrive at a future where the earth was not destroyed was because of him going back to the past ie. possessing child rabura and possessing his own body on the 21st. He doesn't have a choice, he has to go back because if he didn't the meika would've never been made and there would've never been a Pine to fight off the W's.

all it takes is one future where yuuta can prevent mikatan from uberfying that one more time.

in that time everyone lives and they can switch back to their own bodies.

great series don't think anyone expected it to go that way.

mikatan/chiyoko in her own body was cute

could have been better here and there but overall really enjoyable. fun and crazy ride

bit confused about chiranosuke for him to appear as a soul someone must have kicked his soul out of his body
Jun 26, 2015 4:52 AM
Jun 2015
FinalFlash18 said:
Some questions tho-

1. First, what's the deal with Chiranosuke? Does he forgotten about all the events that happened so far and turned into a normal cat? If yes, then how and why?

2. Does Yuuta's (Pine) embodiment soul forever stuck into that infinite loop?

3. I don't know much, but does an alternate ending exists in this w/e video game or LN? If yes, can someone explain about that ending then? I mean, being happy and truly peaceful one, where Yuuta doesn't have to sacrifice himself and everyone gets to live...

1. We don't know Chiranosuke's full story yet . I would assume it has something to do with the dark spirit that possessed the general. xSanox is right that at some point (as an adult cat) Chiranosuke uberfied then was kicked out of his body by another spirit. The cat knows about EVERYTHING going on in the timeline we just watched so it's pretty safe to assume he's deceiving Pine/Yuuta for some sort of end game.

2. There is definitely a loop. It is either incredibly complex (requiring 3 Yuutas or more just to complete) or still to-be-determined (we don't know for sure if the truly happy ending has been found -- even if they find it they would still have to kill Pine at least twice to copy the events perfectly). Chiranosuke mentions Pine "laying a new track" but could mean he lays the track that the Yuuta/Pine who follows behind him rides on. Sad.

3. From a storytelling perspective we will eventually see the truly happy ending with continuation of the series in some sort of media; game (which seems to be what everyone is mentioning), more anime, OVA, etc.
Jun 26, 2015 6:08 AM
Jul 2014
Well, the fanservice is back with a vengeance at the end (seriously though, the disconnect between the events happening at the beginning and then interrupted by that OP).

Still, once you get past that, there's an interesting story, and I look forward to the game where it will hopefuly be fleshed out a bit more. Assuming it gets translated, of course.

Overall, though, it was a fun ride. 7/10 from me, add points if you like blatant fanservice,
Jun 26, 2015 6:25 AM

Aug 2011
They could have use some of Muhi's cells to save Guriko's body but nooooo the main Yuuta had to die.With Meika's tech I think she could be save, she just did not consider it.

I really wanted to see them enjoying their own bodies not just Chiyouko.

Hopefully if there is a season 2 it would be the second main Yuuta and he would have better results where the 3 of them would be happy together.

plot holes(?)
Chiranosuke
why Yuuta's spirit does not look like Pine but Chiyouko
Muhi(?)
and I think a lot more but only thought of this so far

Jun 26, 2015 7:55 AM

Nov 2011
A nice episode, the ending is quite touching and funny, overall not a bad TV series but it could do more and brevity, he did not play in his favor. But a doubt grips me, Guriko died or not? Drawings and animations of good, strong performance of the soundtrack. By bringing together the excellent impression made me the final episode and the opening sympathetic, my vote is 7/10. I was very impressed by the scene where the shooting stars fall, because of the OST and the sad face of Yuuta, amazing!
Jun 26, 2015 7:57 AM

Oct 2013
For me, the time loopiness is kind of reminding me of how Steins Gate did it, in which the desired future needed the past to go on the adventure to get the desired ending (in this case, the meteor to not fall, thus it started from the future) It's probably why Chiranosuke wanted Pine to not change history too much from the events he heard in his future as a living cat at that time.
Jun 26, 2015 8:10 AM

Nov 2012
Rest in Pantsu heaven Pine/Yuta :DD 8/10

Jun 26, 2015 8:23 AM

Jun 2013
intense finale
Jun 26, 2015 8:42 AM

Nov 2014
daime17 said:

plot holes(?)
Chiranosuke
Muhi(?)

And i even didn't think of such oblivious things )
Really, why Pine spirit is not Pine-like ?
And what actual(!) role has Muhi and Chiranosuke in this show ? And who they are )

I think there wouldn't be 2 season.
But maybe they do prequel around 6 OVA. Why six OVA ? Because i think it can't handle standard 12 episodes prequel.
Jun 26, 2015 8:57 AM

May 2013
It's Pine vs Guriko, but Chiyoko decides to join in!
Damn, Pine sacrificed himself to let Chiyoko live in her body. RIP Yuuta. (T_T)

Punch Line, like most of people stated, started of weak but ended quite strongly.
This is probably an anime that I would definitely recommend to others who love panties and plot twists.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jun 26, 2015 10:31 AM
Apr 2015
The ending was great... I loved this anime but this end is making me dislike it a little bit.. damn it pine( yuta) whyyy did you have to die.... With the thing at the end could we suspect a season 2? I don't think so but I would want one... or just a few ovas so that we could get the happy end that Narugino wanted... All them together in the end... not like what is currently happening ( everyone separate)... In the end this was a great anime I could rewatch this another five times and still love it... I just want a happy ending. even though I dont like the ending it still was great 10/10
Jun 26, 2015 10:56 AM

Aug 2012
This story is not an end yet. Because only you are in the infinite loop.

Pretty much par for the course ending for Uchikoshi, but still quite hard hitting. Really hope the VN will get a fan translation, we all know it won't get a localization.
Jun 26, 2015 2:04 PM

Dec 2014
I tried so hard to like this show but it just never happened. I don't really know what everyone liked about this so much, to me it was really boring. Though this last episode was the only one I somewhat liked. 3/10
Jun 26, 2015 2:12 PM

Mar 2008
I have one problem with this. Why did yuuta/pine not just go back in time to when they were kids and put everyone in their proper bodies so Guriko never became all fucked up so none of this would have ever happened?

kseon12 said:
daime17 said:

plot holes(?)
Chiranosuke
Muhi(?)

And i even didn't think of such oblivious things )
Really, why Pine spirit is not Pine-like ?
And what actual(!) role has Muhi and Chiranosuke in this show ? And who they are )

I think there wouldn't be 2 season.
But maybe they do prequel around 6 OVA. Why six OVA ? Because i think it can't handle standard 12 episodes prequel.
I think their spirits take on the form of their self image. Being in that body so long its how he saw himself.
Jun 26, 2015 2:25 PM
Jun 2015
traed said:
I have one problem with this. Why did yuuta/pine not just go back in time to when they were kids and put everyone in their proper bodies so Guriko never became all fucked up so none of this would have ever happened?

Probably not a strong enough spirit. It took 49 days after the fact to make going back to Rabura's past to fax documents to the future an option; you know, to escape the strong pull of the titty-valley in time travel (lol). In order to survive the fall they all had to Uberfy so undoing that would risk killing themselves and wouldn't for sure free anyone from suffering in Pine's place.
Jun 26, 2015 5:54 PM

Dec 2010
...where's the punchline ?
Jun 26, 2015 11:03 PM
Jun 2015
Whats OST Name? xD
Jun 27, 2015 5:23 AM

Mar 2012
Poorman`s FLCL, the story doesn`t make any sense, the mystery aspect was so bad.

5/10

This is why many modern original anime always sucks and uninspired.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Jun 27, 2015 6:14 AM

Mar 2015
And who was in colonel body? Qmay Group leader?
Jun 27, 2015 6:50 AM

May 2009
Tlahuizcapante said:

Yes. Was it hard to get it?
Jun 27, 2015 7:33 AM

Mar 2015
bastek66 said:
Tlahuizcapante said:

Yes. Was it hard to get it?

I forget a little, but remember what he left a teacher's body. But his real face is never reveal, right? Or i again forgetting something.
Jun 27, 2015 8:52 AM

Aug 2014
T
drendren said:
ichii_1 said:

It's more like he went back to make a 100% happy future for everyone with his current knowledge.
Because there is no longer a need for a loop since the meteor is destroyed.
He went back on purpose.

But that doesn't make any sense. The meteor still exists in the past and the only reason they were able to arrive at a future where the earth was not destroyed was because of him going back to the past ie. possessing child rabura and possessing his own body on the 21st. He doesn't have a choice, he has to go back because if he didn't the meika would've never been made and there would've never been a Pine to fight off the W's.

The chicken and egg. It's always present but this one is bad. If he didn't go back and possess Rabura until after Dec. 31, how was the past already in place during the other loops when the meteor had hit the Earth? That would mean the number of cycles was already predetermined. But then again, in the first couple episodes he just reverted time without repeating the cycle. What was the initial cause of the first possession when the meteor hit, and why was the cat absent for so long just to appear at the end in his body, and who was this friend that dumped it on them? Guriko? Questions left unanswered are a given, but this was just poor exposition. They did a terrible job of wrapping it up. That ending was kinda an ass pull. Guriko wants everyone dead then decides, "eh, I change my mind". And Yuuta's reasoning to let Guriko live was dumb. Just let her die. Everyone switch bodies back and happy end. Friendships don't last forever, deal. That was a selfish move if anything. I didn't find the battle to be very exciting either. This had some fun moments and a bit of intrigue, but in the end it was meh. I won't be recommending this to anyone. 5
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jun 27, 2015 8:53 AM

Aug 2014
Also, this is surprisingly accurate, LMAO.
Cheermancy said:

My AOTYAY.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jun 27, 2015 9:27 AM
May 2014
Pine, the manliest anime chara this season..

hope the game getting localized
Jun 27, 2015 10:20 AM

Jul 2010
Huge disappointment, the only way the show could have redeemed itself for me was a huge and daring plot twist for the Finale but it's all gone now. I get the morale and everything but still a disappointment to see something of this level from Koutarou.
7/10
Jun 27, 2015 10:38 AM

Apr 2015
The plot left quite a lot of questions.

-The reason why the spirit Chiranosuke exists is hard/impossible to understand.
-Guriko's sudden face turn at the middle of the episode is too abrupt for his antics beforehand. His motives were hard to fathom too.
-Why did Yuuta's foster sister send that suit?

Additionally I have questions myself stemming from not understanding the anine enough, Who is the man who tried to kill Ito? And what happened when the asteroid exploded, wasn't the aim of the mission stopping the missile fire? And wasn't it impossible to destroy it?

7/10 for the series overall, the enjoyment in the late episodes was overwhelming but the last episode is a bit...strange.

Actually it didn't seem like an ending, it seemed more like a reset from which a storyline starts, which makes me think that there is more to the series than the animr. Does it have a companion novel or video game or something?
LanzJun 27, 2015 10:50 AM
Jun 27, 2015 10:50 AM

Mar 2014
Man I was afraid Yuta was not going to make it, it was still really sad
Jun 27, 2015 2:06 PM
Apr 2014
Damn >.> did they really have to kill Yuuta at the end... Just let that bitch die and take your old body back D: But not. better kill yourself and let your successor do this whole shit again.
Jun 27, 2015 3:51 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Punch Line OST got uploaded on YouTube!

Jun 27, 2015 5:01 PM

Sep 2011
Smudy said:

sweet, this was one of those shows where i didnt realize i liked the ost alot until the last few episodes, i hope the insert song from this ep is on there

Loli-Sazanami said:

This is why many modern original anime always sucks and uninspired.
lol
JizzyHitlerJun 27, 2015 5:08 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 27, 2015 5:03 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
NotJizzyHitler said:
Smudy said:

sweet, this was one of those shows where i didnt realize i liked the ost alot until the last few episodes, i hope the insert song from this ep is on there

Unfortunately, it isn't :/
Jun 27, 2015 6:10 PM

Nov 2013
Ending kinda fell flat. I guess it...

*puts on sunglasses*

didn't have enough punch.

*cue CSI Miami theme*
Jun 27, 2015 8:00 PM

May 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
This story is not an end yet. Because only you are in the infinite loop.

Pretty much par for the course ending for Uchikoshi, but still quite hard hitting. Really hope the VN will get a fan translation, we all know it won't get a localization.

You think? Because Uchikoshi's works tend to have more success in the west, giving it a much more likeliness to get localized.
Jun 28, 2015 3:40 AM

Dec 2012
And the cycle goes on. I've gotta wonder why they called it Punch Line. Maybe because of all of the crazy twists and shocking revelations that sucker punched me all throughout. I started this thinking it'd be a silly ecchi, continued pegging it as a sub-mediocre ecchi, and ended it moved and completely in awe. Yuta/Pine's sacrifice was an incredibly emotional moment, especially those last moments between him and Chiyoko. The insert song fit well and once the meteor shower started and it showed all of them wearing their promise rings, I nearly lost it. The show did end on a cute and fun note, but it was still more of a bittersweet end as the happy and peaceful future was created through the protagonist's sacrifice (and continued sacrifice as his other self continues to repeat it).

This was really well thought out. The devil is in the details and Punch Line proved itself meticulous, leaving no stone unturned. Its execution could have been better as episodes 2-4 left more to be desired, but they clicked together and fit into the big picture nicely. Masking itself behind panty shots and immature innuendo lies a deeper and more profound story of destiny and changing expectations. MAPPA has delivered once again and I will continue to blindly pick up any anime original shows they dish out.

8.5/10
ZekkenshinJun 28, 2015 3:45 AM
Jun 28, 2015 7:39 PM

May 2012
What a wonderful ending! Really impressive I must say, the intense action and that dramatic ending was just a the perfect combination! Especially loved how good they managed to combine fan service/panty shots with the whole superhero, spirit and time traveling concept! Together with a bunch of lovely characters this anime sure made it one of the better ones of the season! 9/10
Jun 28, 2015 11:25 PM

Mar 2014
anyway about the ending there is the game coming up for PS4 and Vita which will connect the dots

" The story will follow parts and mysteries not seen in the anime, as well as have different endings. According to scenario writer Kotaro Uchikoshi, the game adds 10 episodes over the 12-episode anime. And the second half of the game will have entirely different mechanisms than the first half (fans of the anime will understand why). "
from Gematsu
Jun 29, 2015 7:49 PM
Dec 2012
Love the series towards the end so much!! c:
but i wonder if it is possible for the to stop the infinite loop of yutas
Jun 29, 2015 11:23 PM
Sep 2014
I want to know one thing though. How will they explain this to Yuuta's sister.
Jun 30, 2015 4:02 AM
Jul 2011
Actually I think Pine sacrificed himself for Guriko, not for Chiyoko.
It was Guriko's original body that was damaged.
Jul 1, 2015 4:59 AM

Aug 2012
Thus.. Guriko change his name to Ginko and begin his journey...
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2015

100 by Obakezoku »»
Jul 28, 2:10 AM

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2015

100 by Ske80 »»
Jul 9, 2:05 AM

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2015

267 by Ronninn »»
Apr 3, 8:23 AM

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2015

120 by Desaturate »»
Feb 17, 3:46 AM

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

96 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 27, 2022 10:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.