Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 9, 2015 1:20 AM

Oct 2013
lucidbrandon said:
Was anyone else hoping for Bernard to scream fortissimo

Haha, that would've been a treat for the ears, although that might've also signified him completely loosing it so it's probably better if he doesn't :P
Mar 9, 2015 5:48 AM

Jul 2009
Poor Maria, always sacrificing herself for other! I am glad Galfa didn't rape her! I looking forward to see what Joseph is gonna do with him.
Viv fighting for Maria was epic! so cool!
Bernard is going nuts...
Mar 9, 2015 6:20 AM
Sep 2014
The priest is a sinner now it seems, and the other priest see the escene, so He can speak and blame.
Mar 9, 2015 7:10 AM

Jan 2013
I agree with the posters on Galfa. Lowlife. This just shows he literally means what he spoke of back a few episodes to get to the top as if killing his comrade wasn't enough. I don't got much else to say as I'm struggling to watch all these episodes when it involves those false priests (and other things) who aren't priests at all according to the Bible and their deviant plans in this anime. I know it's just fiction but my zeal I just can't let go and cringe at lie after lie but I understand why the author used this perception and don't really fault him/her for being ignorant and doesn't seem to know Christianity is paganism and is using some history. There's a lot of lies in this anime based on reality that also has lies but again I understand why it's being used and it's fiction. I dunno if the author or the studio wrote that stand on your two feet line that Maria spoke but that had me rolling my eyes. I haven't read the source nor don't know if I plan to if it's pretty much the same.
radleMar 9, 2015 7:18 AM
Mar 9, 2015 10:16 AM

Jul 2012
Wow, I started to watch that anime thinking it would be just another echi... Such a good plot. 10/10 till now.
Mar 9, 2015 10:17 AM

Apr 2012
I don't know why everyone seems to be dumping on Galfa like this is a new low for him. Given what we've seen him capable of thus far, this is really to be expected.

MaxXZoe said:
i'm a catholic and this episode made me flinch hard....
Baptist here and same. Although at the same time my Christianity is what makes this particular anime so interesting to watch. This may be the most biblically accurate anime I've ever seen, or at least goes into the most detail in regards to the actual religion. Most anime, even when usiing religion, don't delve very far into the religion and its beliefs itself, just kind of refer to it as a source/reference. This show goes far deeper into it though.
Mar 9, 2015 10:32 AM

Aug 2013
Best episode so far. Bernard went crazy again.

lucidbrandon said:
Was anyone else hoping for Bernard to scream fortissimo

OMG! If that happened, I would give this show a 10/10 no matter how the last few episodes played out!
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Mar 9, 2015 12:15 PM

Mar 2013
MgMaster said:
But with Galfa, however, I'm thinking that he might not deserve as much hate. Last week I naively thought that Galfa will tell Maria to just run away & threaten her to not get involved in their battles anymore because he's taken a liking to Joseph and knows he's close to her. Talk it out 1st and if she refuses then get violent. Thinking about it though, she'd be in relatively safe position to refuse as Galfa would stand no chance so I can see why he choose to do a sneak attack & disable her 1st. Considering his position & remembering that he's not exactly a paragon of justice, this might've just been the best he could do. A little bit of fingering to weaken/make her temporarily loose her powers instead of a full-blown rape, getting his job done in the process & making sure he doesn't get in trouble. It kind of fit's his character too. The guy can be an asshole, one with high ambitious, but he's not all bad.

I totally agree with you here. If Galfa was an utter piece of shit like everyone seems to think he is, he would have raped her. They already showed us that mercenaries in this war have no qualms about doing that. I don't think it's totally fair for people to hate on him for wanting to take revenge on Maria anyway, though--hitting her isn't that bad when you think about the fact that it's her fault he lost an arm, a lot of his fellow soldiers and mercenaries died, and France lost a battle they were sure to win. It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that Maria not get at least some sort of comeuppance for that. Even with good intentions, she did cause a lot of death and commit an act that could easily be likened to treason, even without her being a heretic.
Mar 9, 2015 12:27 PM

Feb 2013
Rykee said:
Wow, I started to watch that anime thinking it would be just another echi... Such a good plot. 10/10 till now.

yea i'm also surprised. this show has one of the most involved plots of anything i've watched this year so far. it almost reads like a classic fable too, which makes the characters that much more believable. the only thing that really annoys me about the show is joseph and his "huh" reaction to everything. otherwise, the themes are engaging and the plight they face makes me care for maria.

just wish the OST was a bit stronger at this point.
Mar 9, 2015 12:31 PM
Sep 2012
This show continues to exceed every expectation I create for it, especially shown here by staying on-course even through some really dark material, and for handling said material fairly tastefully.

Increasingly I see the show as a giant allegorical depiction of the way that so many groups-- including many religions and governments --define or defined a woman's value (read: power) only by her virginal status, effectively setting women up for sexual violence as a method of devaluing and disempowering said women.

(DISCLAIMER: Note that I said "many" religions and governments, not "all" religions and governments. I am also NOT suggesting that rapists bear no responsibility for their actions-- they assuredly do.)
Mar 9, 2015 1:07 PM

Feb 2012
These last few episodes have been kinda entertaining in regards to how it mixes the religious stuff with the anti-war themes, but I'm not a big fan of how Maria's arguments always boil down to "I hate war", nor am I a fan of Galfa in general. Don't really have an opinion on the "rapey subtext" like some people do. It's there. It doesn't bother me much.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Mar 9, 2015 3:52 PM

Sep 2009
They have 3 more eps. I wonder, what they plan to tell us? Cause it could be easily ended in 1.
Mar 9, 2015 5:13 PM

Nov 2012
I don't really get it, why is this sort of anti god and debating god being non existent, yet have that angel? I think this anime would make much more sense if that angel wasn't around and we could question if god even exists, clearly this is Gods will and he is the creator of all so its hard to not feel like its fine.

I'm glad Galfa didn't rape her, he would of been so uncool if he did.
Jaywalker.
Mar 9, 2015 5:21 PM
Dec 2013
Epicenter said:
I don't really get it, why is this sort of anti god and debating god being non existent, yet have that angel? I think this anime would make much more sense if that angel wasn't around and we could question if god even exists, clearly this is Gods will and he is the creator of all so its hard to not feel like its fine.

It is possible that god doesn't really exist, and the angels created "god".
Mar 9, 2015 5:34 PM

Nov 2012
Motherurck said:
Epicenter said:

Well that's sort of far fetched to me, it would be pretty stupid to bring about sparkling holy angels and then say god doesn't exist.
Jaywalker.
Mar 9, 2015 6:34 PM
Oct 2012
Bernard's cleaning and then kissing of Maria's feet was a role reversal of Mary of Bethlehem anointing Jesus' feet, a sign that he was the true savior. So in Bernard's mind he is doing the same thing in recognizing that Maria has, he believes, shown him the way towards true salvation (she is literally his "Virgin Mary").

As for Bernard's "breakdown". That was 700 years of serious thought broken down into one 3 minute animated run on sentence.

The important piece of it was the reference to Pelagius, a 4th century British monk who wrote that humans were capable of achieving salvation without needing the grace of God. This viewpoint was declared heretical by the Catholic Church (and also the various Protestant sects), but has always kicked around in Christian philosophical debate.

I won't go into the argument because it is complex and because 1600 years make some of the arguments seem bizarre, but basically what it shows is that Bernard has always had doubts about religion, his sympathies has always been with humans, he has been doubting the way the world was, so it really wasn't that she "convinced" him, but rather her example of sacrifice for humanity was greater than his, and he had to recognize it. He is now convinced that he can build a heaven on earth. Humorously not only has he been converted to Mariaism, he is actually a zealot willing to go much further than she. It will be funny to watch her reaction to seeing her ideals being put into practice.

I am not sure how the writer is going to do this, I am hoping that he will go deeper than the superficial argument that trying to do good is always good, but we shall see.
Mar 9, 2015 6:51 PM

Jun 2007
This show may be the MVP of what has been a pretty solid season thus far, though a rather unheralded one by the masses.
Mar 9, 2015 7:57 PM

Jan 2011
Epicenter said:
Motherurck said:

Well that's sort of far fetched to me, it would be pretty stupid to bring about sparkling holy angels and then say god doesn't exist.
Don't you have any imagination?
Mar 9, 2015 11:01 PM
Nov 2014
The most important thing is that "Losing her magic" will never happen like"naturally, suddenly, automatically".

The person(angel) who supposed to be get rid of Maria's power is Michael(in episode3).
We have to remember other witches still use magic without her virginity.
Viv is good example.
So, apparently Michael did nothing to Maria in this episode.
Then, Maria still has possibility to use magic.
right?
Koh01Mar 9, 2015 11:06 PM
Mar 10, 2015 5:39 AM

Sep 2014
So the real question is,
did Garfa stick one or two fingers up there? It wasn't clearly stated.

Kidding aside, I want Maria to gain her powers back, maybe Viv can knock some sense into that Archangel.
Mar 10, 2015 5:41 AM
Jun 2014
i think that this episode was good. glad that Garfa did not do the deed but to be honest i did not like him from the knight fight so i already thought that he was a dickhead.
Also i think that if Bernard faith is so easily broken by the witch then he is not really fit the be a priest. 4/5
Mar 10, 2015 6:34 AM

Nov 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
Epicenter said:

'

It's not about imagination, sure I can "imagine" that suddenly the angel comes out saying there is no god and he was just bsing for whatever, maybe believing humans need a concept of god or something. But it would be lame. Any story that would deny god's existence, and yet have angels pretending to be in his service as smoke and mirrors to me would be cheap as hell to me, especially in this type of setting. They make these religious people out to be villainous and to me this almost seems like a social criticism on real life, but in this setting they're clearly in the right.
Jaywalker.
Mar 10, 2015 10:40 AM
Mar 2009
jdx61 said:
lobkestar said:
I only watched 8 minutes but did Garfa succeeded doing the deed? Have to watch the rest later but I am dying to know.

No he failed to rape her, it gets mentioned that she still has her purity.

Yeah it seems he just convinced her it was best to go quietly because Martha would be in trouble if she didn't. Hence she allowed herself to be beaten and disowned... in the conversation with the priest they discussed it at the start, before the weird monologues.
Mar 10, 2015 12:43 PM

Jun 2008
dropped
Mar 10, 2015 1:32 PM

Jul 2010
This was one of the most effectively uncomfortable episodes I have seen in a long time. The fact that it presented attempted rape with not a single hint of titillation or fan-service angles is much to the show's credit.

So much symbolism in the episode as well... I really can't wait for more!

Do we really not know how many episodes there will be yet? I am assuming it is only one cour...
Epicenter said:
ReaperCreeper said:
'

It's not about imagination, sure I can "imagine" that suddenly the angel comes out saying there is no god and he was just bsing for whatever, maybe believing humans need a concept of god or something. But it would be lame. Any story that would deny god's existence, and yet have angels pretending to be in his service as smoke and mirrors to me would be cheap as hell to me, especially in this type of setting. They make these religious people out to be villainous and to me this almost seems like a social criticism on real life, but in this setting they're clearly in the right.

From the perspective of the show, I don't think there is any attempt by anyone to deny the existence of god, just that, by refusing to intervene in human affairs, god makes his existence irrelevant. Kind of an analog to the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a noise?" philosophical query. "If god exists, yet does nothing, does he matter?"

Mind you, this is fiction and not a real discussion of theology...

Also, has anyone else noticed that, in popular fiction at least, the Archangel Michael is almost always portrayed as a giant jerkwad? (Princess Lucia is one major exception,
)
zensunniMar 10, 2015 1:49 PM
Mar 10, 2015 2:16 PM

Dec 2013
Enigmatica said:
dropped

I don't exactly see why.

Is it the philosophical/theological stuff that did you in, or was it the attempted rape?
Kuro_YuukiMar 10, 2015 2:23 PM
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Mar 10, 2015 4:14 PM
Jun 2014
Kuro_Yuuki said:
Enigmatica said:
dropped

I don't exactly see why.

Is it the philosophical/theological stuff that did you in, or was it the attempted rape?

lol or the fact that by trying to prevent war you only prolong it (or how i see it). maria just wont admit that she is doing wrong. surely you help the people affected by war and not trying to stop the battles.
Mar 11, 2015 1:26 AM

Jul 2009
Dude I was about to get fucking mad

Hope shit gets fixed next week
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Mar 11, 2015 4:49 AM

Jan 2014
Epicenter said:
Motherurck said:

Without michael the whole "Virgin Witch Maria" premise wouldn't be possible,think about it for a second
Mar 11, 2015 5:48 PM

Jun 2010
And thus the first French Deists priest was born.

All it took was for him to be enlightened by a witch and bust a spiritual nut on said witch. XD
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Mar 11, 2015 9:01 PM
Dec 2012
I understand Maria, hating violence and death and trying to put a stop to it sounds good on paper.
On the other hand, you're just extending the war and maybe causing more deaths by doing so.
You can't stop humans, when they want to fight, they'll find a way.
She should just escape the war with Joseph, though that would be anti climactic.
A witches vs angels battle may be one sided but I'd love to see that.
Can't wait to see what happens. The last episode was hard to watch but really made am impact
Mar 14, 2015 8:42 AM

Oct 2011
This episode started like something from Game of Thrones, only to end on a pretty interesting discussion on theology... this series really is full of everything.
Mar 15, 2015 4:27 AM

Dec 2013
Holy shit for a second I thought it actually happened! Glad Maria is still pure :)

That ending was so weird. Seems that priest has just developed a foot fetish lol
Mar 15, 2015 12:51 PM

Mar 2009
People defending Galfa in this thread. LMAO.
Guy's a douche and deserves to die.
Mar 17, 2015 10:04 PM

Jan 2013
Ugh, the rape scene was VERY uncomfortable to watch.

LOL Maria made Bernard realize that he was never a Christian to begin with. He's been little more than a deist masquerading as a pious man all this time and even he didn't know it until now. And now the creeper wants to kiss her feet. Just ew.
Salmon is delicious.
Mar 22, 2015 10:21 AM

May 2012
It seems that I'm the only one who wanted Maria to lose her virginity. I hope the priests will do it in the upcoming episodes.
Mar 22, 2015 5:01 PM

Jul 2009
O_O Oh well ... I thought Galfa really did it ... but it sounds like he didn't actually have sex with Maria? Maybe he used his fingers or something? Idk, I mean she DID lose her magic but she's still a virgin ... hmm, hopefully they explain this later on D:
Pretty rough on her though, first that then having Martha throw a stone at her, now she's in prison and is gonna go on trial ... I wonder how this will turn out? Pretty crazy stuff Bernard was saying too, then ending it all by kissing her feet! O_O My reaction is the same as yours Gilbert ... I'm confused XD He's definitely a bit crazy lol :P
Viv's battle with Michael is pretty legit. Hopefully she can find a way to help Maria along with Joseph and Artemis and Priapus. This is getting good!
Mar 22, 2015 8:13 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
@Priest: Muhfugga dun turned into Frolo.
I'm pretty darn excited to see how this series is going to end. We're at the point where things can only get better or worse!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 25, 2015 1:25 AM

Oct 2008
Confirmed Monk Bernard is a PSYCHO!!!

Mar 25, 2015 7:19 AM

Dec 2012
Wow a bunch of action in this one. Now it is sure, I hate Galfa. Fortunately, he didn't rape her.
Bernard became totally mad at the end (>.<), I wonder what he will do in the next.
Mar 25, 2015 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
So did that dude just change his entire religious view because Maria said like 2 sentances, umm what, I'm not buying it, looks like its gonna turn I to a shitty rushed ending for what I thought was a gem of a show.... :(
Mar 28, 2015 1:08 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode, but yeah i was about to kill Galfa if it weren't for Maria being able to save her virginity for now.

Joseph went berserk at first, but he calmly devise a plan to save Maria. If i were him i would have killed Galfa point blank.

And yeah, Galfa needs to die. I don't know why a new Anime characters gets so much screen time these past episodes. I really hope he gets devoured by a dragon or something.

Yeah Martha is fucking hypocrite. I also these villagers would die a plague just like what happened in the past. She gave you all medicine all these years and this is how you treat her back? Fucking idiots of the church.

I'm glad Vivi is getting some screen time now. Bernard got mind fucked, but he was already crazy in the beginning.

Why would he kiss her feet? Basically offering yourself to her or what?

Michael is crazy. I wonder if he just appears out of nowhere so conveniently.

Can't wait for the next episode! Garfa should die now!
Mar 28, 2015 3:10 AM

Jul 2008
Viv better be alive after her fight with Michael >.< It would be fitting for Bernard and Galfa to die by the end of the series but somehow I think both of them could even survive 0.0
Mar 28, 2015 4:05 PM

Feb 2013
At first I thought "dang Galfa's fast"... but nope.
Apr 3, 2015 8:47 PM

Jun 2007
Not since watching NaTHaT has anime made me so uncomfortable as it did during the 'rape' attempt. Galfa even give Maria a beating, for a good measure. I did not expect that, going into the series. And I mean that in a good way. Anime rarely goes to such... depths.

I like Galfa as a character. Horrible person but he does such nasty things that I can believe he existed as a mercenary during the medieval period. Joseph is too purepure.
Apr 4, 2015 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that ends just at the climax, in a way, I was expecting a possible behavior by Bernard, saw the strange fascination with Maria on him. Garfa instead proves even more vile and petty, I hope it is the same Joseph to make him the butt in the future.
Narration pretty bland as rhythm that I Waiting for it something different, but a faster rate would make the story more exciting.
I hope that the plot gives us some nice surprises in the future.
Drawings and animations discrete, very catchy soundtrack.
Apr 4, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2011
What the actual Fu**?! Maria almost got raped, and got beat up, and taken captive and Viv was fighting Michael and crazy priest foot kissing!

Love this show :D
JerichoxBarronsApr 4, 2015 10:18 PM
Apr 6, 2015 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
The rape was too real for me. Other anime have done it, but that was an interesting way to depict it.

I Galfa using his metal arm is why Marie is able to maintain her purity.
Apr 19, 2015 8:45 AM
Apr 2015
A lot of people seem to be interpreting Bernard's words at the end as him "going crazy" or "losing it". I feel like it is the opposite. He appears to be losing or questioning his faith. The idea of God's omnipresence (with no direct intervention) being comparable to no presence at all is too much for him to handle in a single conversation.

Bernard is cruel, yes, but he was never "crazy". His actions up to this point are the result of his faith and religious views. Bernard being able to confront his views with an opposing opinion shows that he is an intelligent and ratiocinate character.
Apr 26, 2015 3:53 PM

Jun 2008
baracudaboy said:
So did that dude just change his entire religious view because Maria said like 2 sentances, umm what, I'm not buying it, looks like its gonna turn I to a shitty rushed ending for what I thought was a gem of a show.... :(

All the people like you with the opinion that the guy had some big change really fail at watching stuff.
I really don't get you people. Bernard NEVER showed true faith. He morphed the Christian faith to whatever it was convenient for him until now every time. Even acts that according to Christian faith are unquestionable evil he found excuses to go around the faith. Even the words he said about everyone having a devil inside to Galfa etc and his obsession with Maria and all that.
The guy always seemed like a psycho philosopher trying to find his personal truth by using underhanded means if necessary. So NO there was nothing to "buy" from his whole psycho-philosophical babble.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

194 by gswelcome »»
Sep 6, 3:50 PM

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.