Sep 9, 2014 10:47 AM

May 2013
Feminine tears were shed.

Sep 9, 2014 10:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
IFuckedAPie said:
kokkoderrisch said:

No it's not. The same rules still apply.
I don't understand, Inferno Cop has splendid animation.
I'm quite sure Inferno Cop would've been a hell of a lot worse had it solely been an audio tape
Sep 9, 2014 10:50 AM

Mar 2012
It's a shame, but Anime has changed a lot over the years. I can completely see someone only being a fan of the old or the new.

There is no doubt in my mind, older anime>newer.

I will leave you with this; I'm certain the stereotype of an extremely socially awkward Weaboo isn't targeted at an old school Anime fan.
Sep 9, 2014 10:56 AM

May 2013
RichtheLionheart said:
It's a shame, but Anime has changed a lot over the years. I can completely see someone only being a fan of the old or the new.

I will leave you with this; I'm certain the stereotype of an extremely socially awkward Weaboo isn't targeted at an old school Anime fan.

A lot of new anime target hikikomoris and greasy otakus. Anime is becoming more and more niche and that's just sad.
Sep 9, 2014 10:57 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
RichtheLionheart said:

A lot of new anime target hikikomoris and greasy otakus. Anime is becoming more and more niche and that's just sad.
wherever the money lies is where the anime industry will go
Sep 9, 2014 11:01 AM

May 2013
HaXXspetten said:
kokkoderrisch said:

The money is in the international market but the Japanese are too xenophobic to even think about it.
Sep 9, 2014 11:03 AM

Mar 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
HaXXspetten said:

The money is in the international market but the Japanese are too xenophobic to even think about it.
Nip pride is a strong thing.
Sep 9, 2014 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
HaXXspetten said:

Not really, not many people in the international market would buy mangas, that only happens in the japanese culture. In fact, I don't even know why do the japs buy mangas if they have access to the internet. Thank god they do though.
Sep 9, 2014 11:05 AM

May 2013
sumusiko said:
kokkoderrisch said:

Not really, not many people in the international market would buy mangas, that only happens in the japanese culture. In fact, I don't even know why do the japs buy mangas if they have access to the internet. Thank god they do though.

Thanks for the input, Mr. Industry Expert.
Sep 9, 2014 11:17 AM

Jun 2014
kokkoderrisch said:
sumusiko said:

Thanks for the input, Mr. Industry Expert.

Oh no, I'm far from it, feel free to prove me wrong though
Sep 9, 2014 11:27 AM

Jun 2007
They tend to confuse "different character designs from what I'm used to" with "bad art" and "only available in SD / made in 4:3" with "bad animation quality."

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Sep 9, 2014 11:30 AM
Oct 2013
Easy answer: They're weebs. Weebs have bad taste all around, bad opinions, and an inability to explain themselves.
Sep 9, 2014 11:36 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
hoodedcult said:
Easy answer: They're weebs. Weebs have bad taste all around, bad opinions, and an inability to explain themselves.
what are bad opinions?
Sep 9, 2014 11:38 AM

May 2013
HaXXspetten said:
hoodedcult said:
what are bad opinions?

Niggers and chinks should be put in cages where they belong.
Sep 9, 2014 11:41 AM
Oct 2013
HaXXspetten said:
hoodedcult said:
what are bad opinions?

Opinions that I don't hold.
Sep 9, 2014 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
I had once such a phase. Now luckily it's over, and I recognize the true value of old school classics.
Aria-da-CapoJan 1, 2016 9:36 AM
Sep 9, 2014 11:57 AM

Jan 2014
I think that's only a matter of taste. Some people do not like old animation or older styles/fashions.
I think we all should just let them go...
Sep 9, 2014 12:10 PM

Sep 2013
johnyjohny said:
There are some old works that are still very watchable this age. Some have even better animation than other new anime theses day still. They are missing out some great works.

Indeed. I haven't seen a modern anime with better animation than most Ghibli films, and some of these are around 30 years old.
Sep 9, 2014 12:30 PM

Jul 2013
They don't remember love
Sep 9, 2014 12:35 PM
Mar 2013
idk why people put old anime on a pedestal. there was just as much shit back then it's just that it was forgotten about.
Sep 9, 2014 12:37 PM

May 2013
It's understandable and I know how they feel, but if they avoid it completely I dislike them a little for being close minded.
Sep 9, 2014 12:41 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
It's understandable and I know how they feel, but if they avoid it completely I dislike them a little for being close minded.
same can be said for people avoiding certain genres as well though

you like what you like, that's all there is to it really
Sep 9, 2014 12:45 PM

Apr 2014
TFO1013 said:
Sometimes I wonder how old (or rather, young) these people are who say they don't like "old" anime. Or at what age they started watching anime. Because I think people who were introduced to anime back in the 90's don't generally have a problem with "old anime. Whereas people who are younger or who have just gotten into anime genreally do.

i started watching about a year ago and some of my favourite shows are beck and gto so your theory doesnt work for me
Sep 9, 2014 12:51 PM

May 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I'm not expecting them to watch all the old classics though, just one from each genre/time period/whatever so they know whether they like it or not. If they do try it, even if it's just one episode (regardless of whether they like it or not), then my respect goes to them, but if you don't at least try something, you'll never know if you like it or not, ya know?

That's how I got into VNs. I had such disdain for them at first for various reasons, but then I tried one and it changed my perspective. Same with Manga except in that case it was because there was no colour. I plan to eventually see what Yaoi is all about too in due time, though I hear it only has generic stereotypes, I'll still at least see what all the fuss is about. Light Novels eventually too, and so on.
Sep 9, 2014 12:53 PM

Nov 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Don't forget types of anime and lengths.

You do like what you like but I think everyone can like some of at least every genre, age, type, etc. People just aren't that patient to take the time to get used to one or find the good anime. So it's more like "you like what you like only because you confine yourself to only those likes".
Sep 9, 2014 12:55 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
HaXXspetten said:

Don't forget types of anime and lengths.

You do like what you like but I think everyone can like some of at least every genre, age, type, etc. People just aren't that patient to take the time to get used to one or find the good anime. So it's more like "you like what you like only because you confine yourself to only those likes".
Pretty much yeah. It takes a while for everyone to dare to step outside their comfort zone after all, regardless of what kind we're talking about here. That doesn't necessarily mean there won't be things outside it they'd like though.
Sep 9, 2014 12:58 PM

Jul 2014
the_twig131 said:
TFO1013 said:
Sometimes I wonder how old (or rather, young) these people are who say they don't like "old" anime. Or at what age they started watching anime. Because I think people who were introduced to anime back in the 90's don't generally have a problem with "old anime. Whereas people who are younger or who have just gotten into anime genreally do.

i started watching about a year ago and some of my favourite shows are beck and gto so your theory doesnt work for me

I did say "generally" meaning that what I said is not always true.
Sep 9, 2014 12:59 PM

Apr 2014
TFO1013 said:
the_twig131 said:

I did say "generally" meaning that what I said is not always true.

fair enough
Sep 9, 2014 1:00 PM

Jul 2013
I don't mind a show being old. I haven't watched many of them, but I don't avoid them either. As long as I can enjoy it, it doesn't matter what age it is.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Sep 9, 2014 1:10 PM

Feb 2011
sumusiko said:
Just ignore people who don't like old animes and you keep enjoying them.

v all said.
each person has their own opinion so, meh.
Personally i like old animes with "bad" animation or not, sometimes i just care for the pplot so ye, and its nice to see old animation, and the evolution of it
Sep 9, 2014 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
I think it's just ignorance.
Sep 9, 2014 1:33 PM

Oct 2013
As long as these old anime doesn't look anything like aku no hana, I'm fine with it. Although Some old anime animation and art can be really displeasing to the eyes and also take me out of the atmosphere in the show.
Sep 9, 2014 1:39 PM

Jun 2013
Old anime will mostly be better for me because I will probably never here of bad old anime, only the good stuff remains relevant.
Sep 9, 2014 1:40 PM

Jan 2012
the only oldish anime where i've hated the animation but loved the story was berserk, i don't mind old anime, but i rarely get chance to watch anything nowdays and older anime (90's mainly) is so hard to come by, i'd much rather stick a 1080p new season anime! but most of the old anime i've seen i really have enjoy so i can't knock it!
Sep 9, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2014
Wait. OP's oldest anime series are NGE and Trigun. I hope that's not the standard for "old". They are pretty similar to modern anime, compared to classics like Saint Seiya or Attacker You!
Sep 9, 2014 2:52 PM

Jan 2013
If people can't stand the older animation, so be it ...
They have every right to say that they dislike an animation style, just like how some people dont watch One Piece because of its animation.

Honestly .. why even care what other people watch.
Sep 9, 2014 3:43 PM

Feb 2010
Okiura said:
(Is this the Old vs New thread of the week ?)

Because animation/sakuga appreciation requires a little more interest and experience than appreciating writing.

I think most of those who refuse to watch old anime (old = aired before they became fans) believing that it has bad animation are new fans that lack experience and/or curiosity, which is perfectly understandable.
For them Animation = how does it "look", colours, resolution and visual effects rather than the actual meaning of the word which defines the quantity of cuts, fluidity of the movement and the creativity/talent of the animator's drawings and poses.

One reviewer of Gauche the Cellist (1982) described the animation that took 7 years to draw as "bad", despite having one of the most detailed depictions of musicians' movements in anime.
If you have little familiarity or interest in wine, you won't be able to distinguish which bottle costs $50 and which one is the $4000.

QFT
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 9, 2014 3:48 PM

Apr 2014
Praland said:
What do you think of these people who stray away from new anime?

I personally can't stand them. I mean, I would at least be able to understand them if their preferences had something to do with the content of the shows. But they don't.

They just think new animation is bad.

And it's not.

lol
Sep 9, 2014 3:52 PM

Feb 2010
Varus said:
Cowboy Bebop is on your favorite Anime's List
Aired: Apr 3, 1998 to Apr 24, 1999

You are currently watching Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Aired: Jan 8, 1988 to Mar 17, 1997

nucblus said:

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.

I'm sorry but are you serious?

Check out recommendation threads for a day or two. Half of them will request nothing older than 2004-2007, and you'll regularly encounter people who even refuse the 2000-2009 decade completely and go for 2010+. The majority of those who don't request it will do so after they get their first 'old' recommendation. They just forgot.
It's a bizarre world out there.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 9, 2014 4:03 PM
May 2007
I say anime made during the Showa period like from Osamu Tezuka in post world war II to 1988 to be old while anything Heisei is pretty much new to me.
Sep 9, 2014 4:28 PM

Sep 2011
Old anime is growing on me. Though nothing before 1980 please.
Sep 9, 2014 4:31 PM

Jul 2013
People who don't watch old anime simply because they think "the art sucks" are idiots.
Sep 9, 2014 4:52 PM
Jul 2014
HaXXspetten said:
AnarchicSloth said:
I'm not masochistic enough to sit through outdated, horrible looking animation for a story that probably isn't even that good. I guess I'm one of these people you're talking about.
even if you're a masochist I'm not sure that would be a factor in this case :3
I'M GONE NOW
Sep 9, 2014 5:30 PM

Feb 2010
I think the same about them as I think about the hipster who say "they don't do good anime anymore". I think both cases are missing on some great anime series.

For me animation is not irrelevant, but it's not a must. Also you can't really group every old anime together. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, for example, would be nice with some 2014 good animation, but it's certainly not neccessary, and wouldn't improve that much, because what's important there is mainly the dialogs, which uses the images in the screen to explain things (like tactics, for example). That combined with character expressions is all you need in animation on that department, so it really doesn't matter.

It would be another story if LoGH was centered in, for example, starship battles doing some spins, dodging enemy lasers and destroying enemy ships... but that is really secondary in LoGH.

A show like Shingeki no Kyojin would've definitely not been the same it was done in the 80s, but, for example, put Gin no Saji in the 80s and it wouldn't suffer that much.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Sep 9, 2014 5:38 PM
Dec 2013
Ojii-sans
Sep 9, 2014 5:56 PM

Apr 2008
It makes me feel older than what I am what some people consider as old anime. To me something old is probably 98 and below, yet still some of my favorite animes are from the 90s. Personally some of the shows had still gorgeous animation , just in a different style. I love anime of today as well, It's just at times...just small small times.. there wasn't so much Computer Generated art. I know when they used cells the art was VERY inconsistent but that was fine too.
Sep 9, 2014 5:57 PM

Jun 2013
People who don't like or won't give an anime a chance just because it came out in a certain year can go suck a dick.
Sep 9, 2014 6:35 PM
Mar 2011
POPEL ARE stupid with how they call age of any thing
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 9, 2014 7:02 PM
Dec 2013
FGAU1912 said:
i rgee
Sep 9, 2014 7:04 PM

Jul 2011
FGAU1912 said:

I agree with the part about cops.
Pages (20) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

197 by WaterMage »»
3 minutes ago

» What are some frequently used plot devices used in anime/manga but are not observed a lot in real life?

Lincompoop - 10 hours ago

8 by Guilmon1 »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - 11 hours ago

18 by Guilmon1 »»
9 minutes ago

» Underrated villains

JoeChip - 50 minutes ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
11 minutes ago

» Could reused Anime themes/cover music likely become a trend in Anime in the near future?

Jozuwa-_- - 6 hours ago

15 by Guilmon1 »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.