Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people watch anime they consider "bad"?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 2014 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
I continue to watch it because I don't think it's right for ME to judge it and rate it based on what I've seen. Usually if I don't like a show, I will stop and then finish it when I have more free time. Sometimes you might end up watching that one scene that makes the show a bit better and it turns out to be pretty good (or pretty bad haha). :)
Apr 8, 2014 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
I remember I used to do that... Then I figured I watched anime for entertainment and started dropping shows like crazy. Now I think I have struck a nice balance between giving a show a fair chance and not wasting my time when I believe it won't be worth it.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 8, 2014 3:34 PM
Jul 2013
Because I want it on my completed list.
Apr 8, 2014 3:41 PM
Dec 2013
Because everyone is a critic.
Apr 8, 2014 3:43 PM
Apr 8, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 2009
I rate only after I complete whole series - that's my way of ninja (or smth like that).
The Forbidden Four: Clannad, Elfen Lied, Chaos;Head and Higurashi.
You recommend it to me - you die.

If there aren't at least 3 series per year centered around some overpowered badass, voiced by Nakata Jouji then there's something wrong with anime industry.
Apr 8, 2014 3:50 PM
Apr 8, 2014 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
sometimes you can even enjoy a trashy moe show even though it's bad and makes you a pedophile after 5 seconds of watching.
Apr 8, 2014 3:55 PM

May 2013
You'd think it'd be to put it on your completed list, but even back before I joined MAL I didn't like to drop anything.
Apr 8, 2014 3:57 PM

Nov 2010
Dark_Chaos said:
You'd think it'd be to put it on your completed list, but even back before I joined MAL I didn't like to drop anything.
Yeah I only became a completionist after I had completed over 600 anime and realized that the few anime on my dropped list, were anime I wanted to watch one day.
Apr 8, 2014 4:01 PM

Jul 2011
Watching bad things helps you to appreciate more the good ones
Apr 8, 2014 4:10 PM
Aug 2012
As several people have also stated, watching bad shows makes good shows seem better. I also don't like leaving things unfinished, which is why one day I will go back and wade through the shit that is Soul Eater. Just not today.
Apr 8, 2014 4:11 PM

Apr 2009
It's because they don't want to drop it and maybe hoping that it will get better in the end.

Just like what I did to Shinsekai Yori.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 4:12 PM

Oct 2013
I do what i want
[/quote]
Apr 8, 2014 4:13 PM

Apr 2013
ezaya said:
It's because they don't want to drop it and maybe hoping that it will get better in the end.

I'm guessing you didn't like the yaoi/yuri?
Apr 8, 2014 4:13 PM

Sep 2012
So they can shitpost on MAL, why else?
Apr 8, 2014 4:21 PM

Feb 2008
Because there are different shades of bad, ranging from awesome bad to boring bad.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 8, 2014 4:29 PM

Apr 2009
Cupquake said:
ezaya said:

I'm guessing you didn't like the yaoi/yuri?

Yah. Almost dropped it after episode 8. Gladly I finished it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2014 4:35 PM

Dec 2013
bloodiemonster said:
I do what i want

Couldnt be more true
Beta never gives up
Never hide, Never be discouraged
Never accept friendzone
Apr 8, 2014 4:43 PM

Feb 2013
Experience.

Just like the beautiful sorcery genius once said, you can't be the best without learning the big and the small spells.

You gotta watch good and bad anime. Sometimes you watch it not realizing how bad it is/was until the very end anyway.

I stand by my view that Shukufuku no Campanella is hands down one of the worst shows I've ever seen, but I gave it an honest chance thinking it could get better...until the last episode, upon which I realized it wasn't happening.

Then there are some that are just so noticeably bad that you drop them. Haven't had too many of those, thankfully.
Apr 8, 2014 4:56 PM

Jul 2007
I can't speak for other people, only myself. I watch bad anime from time to time because it helps with identifying what elements go into making a good series and how to identify when they aren't present. It also makes so that when I argue if a series is bad, that I can back it up because I saw the entire thing. I rarely comment on series I drop, but if I saw a bad series to completion, I can and will make no small measure of elaborating why. Also, I have masochistic tendancies with pop culture.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 8, 2014 5:17 PM

Aug 2013
InfernCup said:
Thinking something is shit ≠ not enjoying it.

So you're saying it's possible to enjoy watching shitty anime?

K, there goes all the credibility of so-called "critics" on MAL...
"Oooohhh, it hurts so good."
Apr 8, 2014 5:18 PM

Dec 2013
Shitty shows are not enjoyable. People are just being tsundere as fuck when they rate their anime. IT'S NOT LIKE I ENJOY THIS SHITTY ANIME.......BAKKKKA
Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
Apr 8, 2014 5:20 PM

Jun 2012
It depends.

Even though I've considered Naruto to be bad for years, I still read because I used to love it, I've spent money on it, and I want to see how it ends (though I'm slowly selling off my volumes)

Fairy Tail is the epitome of "generic shonen", to the point where I want to believe it's a parody at times. But if you shut your brain off, it's easy to enjoy, the art is detailed, it has some cool character designs, Mashima is good at drawing ecchi, and the author is pretty hardworking/appears to be a cool guy.

As for people watching series they know they probably won't like to begin with? I guess it helps you appreciate the greatness more. Watching Witch Craft Works and then watching GITS/Bebop a few hours later makes those seem even better than what they are. It's a strange but welcome feeling.
Apr 8, 2014 5:21 PM

Jul 2007
Kyuutoryuu said:
InfernCup said:
Thinking something is shit ≠ not enjoying it.

So you're saying it's possible to enjoy watching shitty anime?

K, there goes all the credibility of so-called "critics" on MAL...
"Oooohhh, it hurts so good."

All criticism is subjective. The only objectivity comes from recognizing the viewpoints of people you disagree with and then proving their viewpoints wrong. A critic's credibility is not at stake if they thought something was bad, recognized it was bad, said it was bad, and then said they enjoyed it anyway. They are called guilty pleasures and everyone has them.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 8, 2014 5:22 PM

Sep 2011
Cause i finish everything i start and the only way to tell its bad is to start it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 8, 2014 5:23 PM

Aug 2013
FishTaco said:
Shitty shows are not enjoyable. People are just being tsundere as fuck when they rate their anime. IT'S NOT LIKE I ENJOY THIS SHITTY ANIME.......BAKKKKA

Took the words right out of my mouth, they truly are real-life tsunderes lol
Apr 8, 2014 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
AirStyles said:
bad things can be entertaining

This. just like listening to bad music, i do listen to bad music from time to time. some bad songs can be actually catchy!
but you can say it's pretty shitty.
Apr 8, 2014 5:25 PM

Jun 2008
To see how it ends.
Apr 8, 2014 5:25 PM
Aug 2013
Because they have no taste and they feel need to be enabled via MAL? Or some shit like that, it's pathetic no matter how you spin it.
Apr 8, 2014 6:15 PM

Dec 2012
I always finish what I start, that's just what I do... If you're going to do, or start something then finish it. The same applies when I decide to watch an Anime, where no matter how bad it is I will finish what I start. No real reason for me to drop an Anime. But that's just what I do anyway, not everyone's the same. =^-^=
Apr 8, 2014 10:43 PM
Oct 2013
For the hell of it lol
Apr 8, 2014 10:46 PM
Jan 2014
Because torture breeds short and sharp spikes in pleasure...
Apr 8, 2014 11:29 PM

Jun 2013
I don't know but I get really annoyed when I see anime list where they've seen 500+ anime and almost all of them are rated 5 or below. I don't even understand why they watch anime if they don't enjoy the majority of it.

I just don't like dropping animes. I like seeing them through to the end no matter how bad they are. I don't really rate anime's on how good the are, I rate them on how much I like them. If an anime is highly rated and a lot of people say it's good but I didn't like it I'll rate it low, but still acknowledge the fact that it is not a bad anime.
Apr 9, 2014 12:24 AM
Jul 2018

So we can hate them some more while hating them some more.
Apr 9, 2014 12:37 AM

Sep 2012
This doesn't happen all the time for everybody, but I think some people finish a show to legitimize their complaints.

If you only watch half the episodes, and think the show is terrible, and people who like it are terrible (see Dokuro-chan), when you voice your opposition to the morally abhorred material presented, you'll no doubt be met with "but you didn't even watch it all, your opinion is invalid".

I'm guilty of this, but sometimes people complete things just to avoid that annoying retort and also to flesh out their criticism of the show.

If I think something is immoral, terrible, and should be condemned along with every fucking person who likes the despicable content, I want to be able to explain why, in detail, I feel that way about it, with the hopes of getting other people to reject watching something as disgusting and detrimental to the human condition in the future.

Basically I'm MAL's Jesus. I watch shitty shows for your sins.
Apr 9, 2014 12:40 AM

Mar 2008
Red_Keys said:
Basically I'm MAL's Jesus. I watch shitty shows for your sins.
Praised be he who came among us on this desert land, only to die for us.
Apr 9, 2014 12:52 AM

Aug 2013
Hope is the last thing to die. There's still a chance a bad series does a 180 and surprise me. Then when I realize it's not going to happen, it's almost finished >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 9, 2014 8:43 AM

May 2013
Red_Keys said:
This doesn't happen all the time for everybody, but I think some people finish a show to legitimize their complaints.

If you only watch half the episodes, and think the show is terrible, and people who like it are terrible (see Dokuro-chan), when you voice your opposition to the morally abhorred material presented, you'll no doubt be met with "but you didn't even watch it all, your opinion is invalid".

So you watch anime you don't like in order to win arguments on the internet with complete strangers. Makes sense.
Apr 9, 2014 8:46 AM
Oct 2013
skyzblue said:
Malgraph gives you a cute little achievement for not dropping anime

You need to experience a few bad ones so that you can appreciate the good ones even more.

Basically. And so if someone's like, hey should i watch "---" you can be like, "woah man, hold up, --- was really bad and i did not enjoy it that much"
Apr 9, 2014 12:09 PM

Sep 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Red_Keys said:

So you watch anime you don't like in order to win arguments on the internet with complete strangers. Makes sense.
The lord works in mysterious ways.
Apr 9, 2014 12:24 PM

Nov 2013
Curiosity.

In a good and/or bad way.
Apr 9, 2014 12:29 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Keys is right though, it's usually either "why'd you watch it to completion if you hate it" but if you didn't complete it you get the standard "lol but you didn't even finish it what do you know" type response.
Apr 9, 2014 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
It's mostly because people honestly have different tastes in anime. the main reason for it. some people just consider a anime bad just because it overrated or underrated etc etc.
Apr 9, 2014 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
Some people watch things in the hope of something getting better. Others might watch "bad" stuff to know what their tastes are and get a better idea of what they might like and dislike. Some may just feel like they are doing something wrong if they don't complete it or feel as if completing anime is a sort of acheivement. Some shows might be so bad they are fun to watch.

I watched SAO because it was airing on Toonami and I want to support Toonami. Plus it was fun to watch even if it was bad in my eyes.

I watched Tenchi Muyo GXP because despite being bad I got some sort of weird enjoyment out of it. I don't even know. Plus it was on Toonami.
Apr 9, 2014 2:03 PM

Oct 2012
I have yet completed a single 1, so that's an accomplishment. Arcana Famiglia was close though
Apr 9, 2014 2:05 PM

Jan 2014
Kaimon said:
It depends.

Even though I've considered Naruto to be bad for years, I still read because I used to love it, I've spent money on it, and I want to see how it ends (though I'm slowly selling off my volumes)

Fairy Tail is the epitome of "generic shonen", to the point where I want to believe it's a parody at times. But if you shut your brain off, it's easy to enjoy, the art is detailed, it has some cool character designs, Mashima is good at drawing ecchi, and the author is pretty hardworking/appears to be a cool guy.

As for people watching series they know they probably won't like to begin with? I guess it helps you appreciate the greatness more. Watching Witch Craft Works and then watching GITS/Bebop a few hours later makes those seem even better than what they are. It's a strange but welcome feeling.

I'm sorry but One Piece is the epitome of generic shonen.
Apr 9, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2014
The same reason I watch 70s Godzilla movies with a Ultraman ripoff, because it's so bad it's funny.
Apr 9, 2014 6:36 PM

Mar 2014
that only ever happened to me once..

i continued watching because i make it a point to always finish what anime i started, and when i don't finish, it feels like an itch so i just have to finish, long as i can still tolerate it.

the anime was popular and the rating was pretty good so i kept watching, and waiting, hoping for something good that will happen that will change my opinion of it...

though after finally finishing it, if i were to rate it, i'd probably give it only 4 out of 10. it was disappointing.
“Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know.” - Hayao Miyazaki
Apr 9, 2014 6:38 PM

Mar 2013
Because masochism.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Jun 6

45 by Mayahuel »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

79 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these shonen is the best in your opinion?

Yaaceen - 17 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

55 by I_shoot_kids_fr »»
16 minutes ago

» Are Anime "Controversy" just ragebait?

Dragevard - Jun 2

28 by Mayahuel »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.