Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 12, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2009
So Benten was kidnapped by that Tengu when she was a little girl, no wonder she is cold to him now. I wonder if she ever tried to get in contact with her parents.

I wonder if it is the same feeling, sometimes when I see a cute animal I wonder how great it would taste prepared in my favorite ways. Naw that old man is just an eccentric.

Aw man, I wouldn't eat that tanuki who is having a conversation with me even if I think I am imagining things.
Aug 12, 2013 5:02 PM

May 2013
_liar said:
I do not think that a reference to tarot makes a whole lot of sense in an anime that is primarily concerned with Japanese mythology.

I would agree if this was an historical anime, but Souichirou Shimogamo lived japan at the end of the 20th century (an probably lived to see the 21st century) so I see no reason why he could not have been influenced by western culture.

Furthermore it is not "very clearly laid out" as the OP is full of bad English that should not be taken as canon.

Whoa, hold it right there, the OP is not canon? unless you have read the LN and can therefore say the OP contradicts the original source, it is way more canon than the opinion of any fansuber, it is not like it is a common phrase in the english language.

"Idiot's blood" is a good translation of what the characters are saying; it's not like they're saying "burado avu za fooru" or something.

My point is not that it is not an aceptable translation, my point from the start is that it goes against the english text the animators show (for a reason, at first I thought it was odd to show it so clearly), which is a bit awkward but you can always say "Fool's blood" instead.
mangamuscleAug 12, 2013 5:07 PM
Aug 12, 2013 5:46 PM

Mar 2009
The dialogue in this show is absolutely bizarre.
Aug 12, 2013 10:06 PM

Oct 2012
I loved the OST for this episode, it was so nice~

Benten crying under that moon. ;_;

Aug 13, 2013 1:43 AM

Jul 2013
"It's a manifestation of my idiot blood!"

The reason for doing anything out of the ordinary! This OST has got to be one of my favourites this season. Actually, I'd even go as far as saying this year. Just really, really great stuff. Still no sign of Kaisei but Benten crying was quite an eye-opener. Was it out of remorse for eating Shimogamo? Or just because she misses who she used to be? I wonder if she even thinks about that... such a mysterious character.
Aug 13, 2013 11:08 AM

Jul 2013
Great episode. And there were so many beautiful scenes :)
Aug 13, 2013 12:26 PM

May 2012
mangamuscale said:
Whoa, hold it right there, the OP is not canon? unless you have read the LN and can therefore say the OP contradicts the original source, it is way more canon than the opinion of any fansuber, it is not like it is a common phrase in the english language.

The OP is full of terrible English as anime OPs sometimes are—"BLooD of FooL" (original capitalization preserved) isn't even grammatically correct. What likely happened is that someone at P.A. Works thought that it would be cool to have some english in the OP and translated some terms to the best of his or her ability. Should we start saying "raccoon dog" instead of "tanuki" too when discussing this show?

I have not read the novel(s?) and do not have access to a copy, but I am willing to bet that if you were to look in them you would not find "BLooD of FooL," you would not find "blood of the fool," and you would not find "idiot('s) blood" either. What you would find, however, is "阿呆の血(のしから)" and if it weren't for some bad English that someone threw into the OP, nobody would be complaining about the translation "(it's a manifestation of my) idiot blood."

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Aug 13, 2013 1:07 PM
Mar 2012
Meh. It's getting pretty weird.
The Prof's abit stangr. And sorry guys, Benten's a bitch.
Aug 14, 2013 4:43 AM

Sep 2012
I have grown more and more fond of this series. It is really like reading some Japanese literature. People who call it weird should read more highbrow Japanese literature to see what is really weird. This work keeps a popular touch firmly on the ground while gives really mesmerizing portrayal of the Kyoto scenery, care and attention to character depiction and incisive, sometimes even poetic, insight on life, love, family and of course death. Truly wonderful.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 14, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2007
Better episode than usual, for the first time I actually found the pacing not entirely wretched and the dialogue to be kind of interesting. It's definitely better when the Tanuki characters are interacting with the other factions as opposed to among themselves. Some of the metaphors the show uses still have me rolling my eyes and I'm really not sure I care for the Tanuki side of the cast much at all at this point, but the whole discussion about the circle of life slowly coming to the forefront of the tale has at least give me something to latch onto from a semi-intellectual perspective instead of just sitting here and having to listen to the character natter about things I feel don't rely serve the story well in terms of maintaining my interest level.

Anyway I get the sense that the whole "idiot blood" line was supposed to be a big stand out one, but for me it was about the dumbest lines of dialogue I've heard spouted in this whole show. I'm not sure what that means yet, but it kind of had me rolling my eyes at how pretentious it came across.

Mormegil said:
The dialogue in this show is absolutely bizarre.

I agree, but I'd even go a step further and suggest that just because dialogue is unusual or bizarre doesn't necessarily mean it's especially well written or deep. To be honest I fundamentally disagree with the sentiment being espoused surrounding this show that being uneventful, slow paced, subtle and minimalist is somehow a superior form of storytelling and frankly find it more to be a way of cheaping out by essentially getting the viewer to fill in the blanks with something that is always going to be more interesting in interpretation than anything a writer themselves could offer. It's a trend I really don't like in anime storytelling and see more as a glaring weakness than any sort of strength more often than not, but having said that this show is doing a little better with it than most. People can feel free to take that as a compliment if they want.

Anyway I don't know, I'm sort of growing weary of series set in Kyoto that all seem to be like, "Oh this city has so much history, it's so laid back and life is so peaceful and if you go there you can find your true self and purpose" or whatever. I feel like saying, "Okay I've seen this sort of sentiment before in like every slice of life show, show me something different for a change". I guess if you've been there it'd maybe make a difference but for me it's like who damn well cares, you've laid out this story about mythological creatures, bloody well make the most of it and the premise instead of doing the same old things every show set in Kyoto seems to do with their time and this is yet another one that opts not to do so and it's keeping me from finding cause to praise it for anything in particular.

Just because a show slow burns the crap out of it's pace doesn't make it a good story for me and just because a show has a line that sounds vaguely catchy like, "It must be a manifestation of my idiot blood" doesn't make it especially deep so I hope the staff isn't banking on that sort of thing from where I'm sitting because if they are it's never rising above the level of mediocre for me.
PeacingOutAug 14, 2013 12:34 PM
Aug 15, 2013 6:37 PM

Jun 2012
Really good episode again ^^

Aug 17, 2013 12:26 AM
Sep 2011
This one's quickly becoming my favorite for the season.
Aug 18, 2013 9:25 AM

Dec 2009
I feel very melancholic when watching this series for some reason.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 19, 2013 10:20 AM

Apr 2012
scruffykiwi said:
After watching this episode I finally clicked that the Humans (apart from Benten) are unaware that Tanuki are sentinent and can actually talk. The professor seemed to think that Yasaburou's performance was some parlour trick and that Benten could do the same.

If that is true then I can see why the Tanuki see Benten with such fear as she is fully aware yet participates in this 'Friday Fellows'

Same for me. I guess what's why the professor has such a clear conscience. Even though the talk he had with Yasaborou's father should've stirred some feelings of remorse in him, what with all the talk about having raised his kids as good as he could and stuff like that.

With that being said, this show really focuses on the whole "to eat is to love" thing. Kinda disturbing, especially with Benten knowing about the tanuki... Meh, I guess what I'm trying to convey is that I just really don't get this show yet.
Aug 19, 2013 8:37 PM

Apr 2013
I wanna know more about Benten
Aug 20, 2013 8:59 PM

Jul 2007
scruffykiwi said:
After watching this episode I finally clicked that the Humans (apart from Benten) are unaware that Tanuki are sentinent and can actually talk. The professor seemed to think that Yasaburou's performance was some parlour trick and that Benten could do the same.

If that is true then I can see why the Tanuki see Benten with such fear as she is fully aware yet participates in this 'Friday Fellows'

Yeah. I would say Tanuki should have the opportunity to eat human every once in a while too, but I highly doubt humans in general would be accepting of this. =P
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Aug 21, 2013 11:46 AM

Aug 2012
out of all the anime that i watch this season, Uchouten Kazoku is probably the only one that i think getting better and better by each episode. and the OST that played during the rooftop scene was so damn good.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Aug 27, 2013 8:08 AM

Jul 2010
Benten crying? Now I wanna know.
Sep 1, 2013 1:32 AM
Aug 2011
Marow said:
I feel very melancholic when watching this series for some reason.

Same here.

On one hand i'm admiring the atmosphere and the visuals and on the other i'm taking in this quirky dialogue that always carries a hint of sadness through it (well to me at least).

It's a very strange mix of feelings I get while watching.
No other series this season makes me feel quite like this and I guess that's why I like it.
Oct 7, 2013 7:13 PM

Jan 2013
The series is so depressing, but not as a forced melodramatic sobstory. Uchouten Kazoku does such a wonderful job conveying the depressing reality of life and death, along with the harsh beauty of it.
Oct 13, 2013 4:42 AM

Jun 2012
First episode that blew me away. Leaving behind the overly quirky nature and going all philosophical on me. Featuring some gorgeous surreal shots that made me think of a Murakami novel done in anime. And the writing in this is just stunning. Forcing me not to just the read the words but actually consider their meaning. Unfortunately the sentiments and behavior of the characters don't click me with me. Keeping me from being completely drawn into this lovely fairy tale. Actually the second anime this season (silver spoon) that I really want to love but can't because the characters clash with my own. My loss.
Oct 20, 2013 8:28 AM

May 2012
That ending was pretty lovely, really liking the setting while it is a rather sad story it sure manages to make it good!
Nov 7, 2013 12:50 AM

Oct 2012
Oh, Suzuki Satomi was Benten's girl name :)
So Benten be a person like that is Akadama-sensei's fault
Aw, Yasaburou's father is so... how do I explain this.. calm & composed?

Kaisei, the stalker & tsundere girl xD
Bentei-sama, don't cried :(

Lol next ep, it's Bathhouse!! And fanservice.. oh wait
"Signature removed"
Dec 14, 2013 1:51 AM

Apr 2013
What an emotional episode. I wonder why was she crying.
Dec 20, 2013 2:14 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

I found this very sad episode, nice dialogues, are thoughtful, but not boring and not made ​​me hate the professor. The father of an entity Yasaburou was really charismatic! * _ *
Drawings and grandiose scenarios, there is still much to discover about the characters and principlai Kaisei the mysterious! XD
Final rating that passes from 6 to 8/10!
Dec 26, 2013 6:49 AM
May 2012
Wow, that is what you call "Manly Talk", only those who are man enough can understand and feel it ahahaha.

I understand every inch of what they're talking about. I'm proud of them, I'm proud of myself ^_^.

Kaisei and Benten are making me curious about them!!!!!

Really nice episode, nice art, nice dialogue and nice music :D
Dec 27, 2013 3:17 PM

Dec 2011
scruffykiwi said:

Yes it clicked for me as well. At least now I can understand that the humans are just normal humans doing what we all pretty much do. And this does actually make Benten look worst, though it looks like she might possibly feel regret and sadness for eating them, makes me wonder why she does it every year in the first place. But also there is the fact that she was essentially kidnapped by the master Tengu.

However, the father can talk a lot of crap about accepting fate (and I'm okay with acceptance but not the way he actually encouraged the Fellow) and the son can talk about how he likes that Fellow who ate his father and has a crush on Benten, but at the end of the day it's obvious Tanuki love their family and can feel sadness so I don't understand how no negative feelings are coming in to play. It just seems a bit off to me.

At this point I'm not quite sure what to make of Uchouten Kazoku... Think I'd better watch the rest before sorting how I feel about all of this.
LayedBackDec 27, 2013 3:29 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2014 12:43 AM

May 2014
For all that is good in this world, that park scene was on a level unlike any other... I was absolutely breathless. This show deserves absolute applause.
Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.
Aug 9, 2014 6:17 AM

Apr 2009
What the heck! It's 6th episode (halfway into series) and only now i begin to actually like this anime. Things sure moves slowly there.
Dec 5, 2014 3:07 AM

Feb 2013
That first minute was so informative! It aswered a lot of quesion I had about Benten. I wonder why Benten was cryign in the end. Maybe she knows that she will eat Yasaburou and it's just a matter of time. Or she's sad that her life eas taken by that old man. I mean he did kidnap her when she was young. I'm glad the animeis starting to answer some questions.
Apr 6, 2015 11:55 AM
Apr 2015
sooo no cares that the Friday crews next target could be anyone Even his mother or brother
Mar 7, 2016 11:42 PM

Jun 2011
My gawd this is the shit! What a brilliant episode. I was on verge of tears starting from the middle portion of the episode, until the very end. It was absolutely fantastic that we get to see Yasaburou interacts with his father's "killers". Souichirou was an amazing character himself too.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 23, 2016 1:39 PM

Apr 2009
ah, my feels- seriously, i'd be killing every single one in that damned club DX_
secondly- why is this anime so damn deep ;_;'?!
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Jan 2, 2017 8:05 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I am really fascinated and moved by this episode. I do think that this is basicly a culture thing about ''being eaten'' and ''tasting good''. I really loved this episode, wow.

Hotei is incredibly nice.
Mar 29, 2017 10:42 AM

Sep 2015
This episode was even more of those pesky answers I wanted. In the first 30 seconds of the episode it gives us the briefest rundown of Benten's past. And immediately her character like clicked into place for me. Why she's a human with powers of the tengu. Why she avoids the master now. And perhaps most importantly why Yasaburo still likes her so much. When he clearly resents her for eating tanuki at least deep down. Like what a revelatory cold start. I was quite impressed with how quickly it gave us necessary information we've been patiently waiting for.

After a really cool scene on a pretty rooftop garden. As well as a nifty flashback to Benten's first night with the Friday Fellows. We even hear Papa Shimogamo's brave last words as he spoke to Hotei apparently. Yasaburo is charged with returning the drunk Professor back to his home. I don't get why he couldn't transform into something useful. Maybe because he was drunk. But he even gets a crucial assist from Kaisei who I'd really like to know more about soon.

The real centerpiece of the episode though is a conversation between Hotei and Yasaburo about food. While munching on rice balls he explains his internal philosophy. Hotei loves and wants to try all food. He views being eaten (by tanukis in his own case of course) as far preferable to rotting away in the earth after you die. This is strange like really strange. I've seen character whose mantras stemmed from their love of food. But this is super weird. Yasaburo even calls him out on it. But I do find it interesting at the same time. And I think it's the only way to make his and Bentens love of tanukis and desire to eat them reconcilable. Well probably not the only way.

These were two really great episodes. They answered a lot of my questions while leaving a few open for further exploration. Like why Benten's crying at the end. But every time they make that "I'm just a frog in a well" statement. All I can think of is "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage." Like plays in my head every time.
Mar 29, 2017 12:08 PM

Jul 2012
SubscriberSun said:

These were two really great episodes. They answered a lot of my questions while leaving a few open for further exploration. Like why Benten's crying at the end. But every time they make that "I'm just a frog in a well" statement. All I can think of is "Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage." Like plays in my head every time.

I have been lurking your posts as you watch this wonderful series. I find your views of what's going on quite interesting :)

2 notes that I would like to point out. There is heavy use of the Japanese Shinto mindset when dealing with nature, life, and death. I'd try to keep that in mind. The other is the hint in the title of the anime itself; "family".

The way I see it, Benten and Yasaburou are kindred spirits and both have a mantra of "I do what I want, when I want, how I want". Yet they are 2 sides of the coin living like that. After watching the show for a 3rd time recently, I have come to the conclusion that Benten's crying has double meaning. One is that she does feel bad for what she did to Yasaburou's family, and the other is that her way of life is not bringing her happiness.

The story is written by Tomihiko Morimi and a common thread in his works seems to be about finding your direction in life. Yasaburou and Benten are both trying to forge that path while keeping that young/naïve "I do what I want" attitude; the difference is that Yasaburou has a family to support him. Benten does not. Its all very interesting to me when you treat Yasaburou and Benten as two diverging paths due to their character/mindset; where one is not finding happiness but has status, looks, powers (basically she has everything she "thinks" she wants), and Yasaburou is still working things out (the point of the series so I wont spoil :) ).
Mar 30, 2017 10:37 AM

Sep 2015
AholePony said:
Yasaburou and Benten are both trying to forge that path while keeping that young/naïve "I do what I want" attitude; the difference is that Yasaburou has a family to support him. Benten does not. Its all very interesting to me when you treat Yasaburou and Benten as two diverging paths due to their character/mindset;

I like that a lot. It definitely feels important to keep in mind when trying to understand these two characters. Particularly Benten. Thanks for the reply. You've given me something to think about moving forward with this cool weird little series.
Apr 19, 2017 3:06 PM
Aug 2014
So do the Friday Fellows, apart from Benten, know Tanuki are sentient or not. It's a bit confusing to me. Maybe it's the subs, but one moment it seems clear to me they do and then a minute later they don't. Of course if they don't know that changes things quite a bit.

This was the first episode I enjoyed as I'm starting to understand more how Tanuki think. Really liked how Yasaburou pointed out that it's a bit strange how he doesn't hate the professor and even has a crush on Benten. Just by him acknowledging it it's no longer a problem for me.
Jun 9, 2017 7:40 AM
Jun 2012
This endless discussion of eating habits is creepy beyond words. Especially in contrast with otherwise nice and pleasant atmosphere.
Jul 25, 2017 3:09 PM

Jun 2017
I do want to see this series through to the end, because it's very well made, but damn if I can't help disagreeing with the message it appears to be pushing at times. I know this is probably demonstrative of my own immaturity, but I find it difficult to appreciate a work whose outlook I object to on a fundamental level. Nature is cruel, evil even, and I honestly don't want to find something that justifies it.

I digress, for this is all quite apart from the question of the shows aesthetic quality, even if it affects my ability to perceive to some extent
Sep 1, 2017 10:22 AM

Apr 2015
"To eat is to love." I like this guy, but is this really how he's going to explain Benten having to eat him? That's gonna suck no matter what.

"I'd rather be a tanuki's dinner than die in a hospital." Alright, this is more Monogatari-esque dialogue. Up until this point, the cryptic storytelling could have this show described as a Great Value Monogatari, but I really liked this episode. If this keeps up I might bump it up from a 7 to an 8.

Maybe their dad wants all the brothers to live fulfilling lives as tanuki so that they have no regrets when they're eventually eaten by the Friday Fellows. The food chain is inevitable, so you might as well make the best of it, right?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 4, 2017 5:37 PM

Jan 2014
This was a really deep episode about life. the feels.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 13, 2017 4:59 PM

Apr 2013
WTF????
Ok, some nice tips about life and stuff, but common... where are the emotions what has to feel the person who loves his fathers murderer?
Tanuki or no tanuki...such crap. If you loved your father soooooooo much why you don't give a damn now? There is tooooooooooooo much wrong with this show. I can't take it serious anymore.

Dec 6, 2017 11:32 PM

Mar 2015
Wonder why Benten is so sad.. her unpredictability is what makes her so alluring!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 27, 2018 4:09 PM

Aug 2016
I'm happy that Yasaburou admits that it's really weird how he acts towards Benten and the professor since his attidude was somthing that bothered me.

Still have some problems with this anime but after this episode i have some hope that most of them will be cleared out.
May 19, 2018 5:01 PM

Sep 2013
The whole "we don't mind if humans eat us thing" is wearing thin. They need to move to another plot point.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 19, 2020 3:26 PM

Nov 2016
Wow, there was so much to unwrap, very interesting episode. Things add up, especially now that we learned more about the perspective of the tanuki and about Benten. Papa Shimogamu was based af. Nice conversation and quotes to boot.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 21, 2020 7:05 PM

May 2016
From what I understand about this show is that the setting is set that animals
accepted the fact about getting eaten by humans as a normal thing.

but still that Professor I still can't stand him for what he did to their father it's really sad.

@Fmmatron correct me if I'm wrong.
May 22, 2020 5:32 AM

Nov 2016
Raizel said:
From what I understand about this show is that the setting is set that animals
accepted the fact about getting eaten by humans as a normal thing.

but still that Professor I still can't stand him for what he did to their father it's really sad.

@Fmmatron correct me if I'm wrong.

More or less. It's a lot about accepting, making the best out of life and (family) bonds.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 14, 2020 4:56 PM

Jul 2016
ElenirLachlagos said:
Meh. It's getting pretty weird.
The Prof's abit stangr. And sorry guys, Benten's a bitch.

Benten is such a horrible entity.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

106 by Karva1 »»
May 10, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2013

185 by Karva1 »»
May 10, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.