Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most intelligent anime you've seen?

New
Pages (18) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2013 11:16 PM

May 2012
Serial Experiments Lain, Gankutsuou, Tatami Galaxy, Paranoia Agent
Feb 5, 2013 1:25 AM

Aug 2012
GodlyKyon said:
The most intelligent anime that was never made: 20th century boys

You have no idea how much I want this to exist! Please Japan, come on make it, save anime!
Feb 5, 2013 8:32 PM

Aug 2012
# EVE no Jikan - Something you gotta read between the lines often to get what the author is trying to portray with images and words. Fitting art style and short series worth watching imho.

# Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei - You can call this random nonsense comedy, sure, but this one has a lot of cultural references both hidden and direct, paired with dark humor. A mix you wont come by often. The art style is also very unique. Aimed at older audiences who can "get" all the jokes.

# Gantz - It is "just" thought-prokoving to most and like eve no jikan, fiction. However, the human interaction was close to what you could expect IRL, so it was interesting to watch.

# Black Lagoon - Intelligent because ... well, it is pulled off decently. You almost forget it's anime. To me this was highly entertaining. The crime/mafia storyline along with character backgrounds give it a little edge over other anime shows i've checked out.
twitch.tv/callmerevy - twitter.com/cmRevy - blog: callmerevy.wordpress.com
Feb 5, 2013 9:31 PM

Sep 2009
nekovision said:
For me it's Akira. Though the ending is still a confusion but I think it must have deeper meaning behind it.
There isn't. The reason was because they compressed 6 (very weighty) volumes into a single movie and the plot suffered as a result.
Feb 5, 2013 9:51 PM

Feb 2012
m3nt0r said:
# Black Lagoon - Intelligent because ... well, it is pulled off decently.

That's it, I'm convinced.
Feb 5, 2013 11:32 PM

Aug 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
m3nt0r said:
# Black Lagoon - Intelligent because ... well, it is pulled off decently.

That's it, I'm convinced.

Lol. On topic: Serial Experiments Lain, although I'll admit there are many intelligent anime that my crucially lacking anime viewing hasn't seen.
Feb 5, 2013 11:50 PM

Jan 2013
Maybe i should check out Monster..
Oct 25, 2013 4:37 PM

Oct 2009
Paranoia Agent, Monster, Lain, Fantastic Children etc.

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Oct 25, 2013 4:43 PM

Mar 2013
k-on it takes a genius to make 13 episodes of people sitting around a table drinking tea entertaining
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Oct 25, 2013 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
Time of Eve and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Oct 25, 2013 4:45 PM

Jun 2013
I'd like to begin by saying that I'm no "Manga > Anime" elitist, or anything like that, but I do find that the most intelligent manga I've read trump the most intelligent anime I've seen.

Anyway, I would say that Oyasumi PunPun and Homunculus (They're both manga) are the most intelligent series I've come into contact with. The former talks about psychological issues, abuse, poverty, and social norms. While the latter talks about expression, immersion, psychological trauma, and what people truly need in life. They just go about them in such intriguing ways, and use such strong, fluid stories to express the themes.

In regards to anime: Revolutionary Girl Utena and Monster.
The former has such a prevalent art style, and it works to express themes of diversity within society. The latter goes through the idea of what classifies one as a human vs. a monster and what is truly moral.

That is all.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Oct 25, 2013 5:04 PM

Apr 2013
LoGT
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 25, 2013 6:49 PM

Jul 2013
Maybe...Hyouka
Oct 25, 2013 6:51 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Well, one that is not intelligent would be Dragonball Z

However, if I were to put one as intelligent, I'd have to say Akira
Oct 25, 2013 6:56 PM

Sep 2011
tatami galaxy

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 25, 2013 7:25 PM

Jun 2012
Texhnolyze. Instead of telling you everything, you're mostly shown what happens. Nothing is really just laid out or entirely clear. It also moves at a slow pace, which fleshes out everything much better.
получить деньги моего друга
Oct 25, 2013 7:28 PM

Apr 2013
samishime said:
Texhnolyze. Instead of telling you everything, you're mostly shown what happens. Nothing is really just laid out or entirely clear. It also moves at a slow pace, which fleshes out everything much better.

Yeah a full episode of mostly heavy breathing is so fleshed out and intelligent. There is slow pace and there is unbearably snail pace.
Oct 25, 2013 7:41 PM

Oct 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:
Yeah a full episode of mostly heavy breathing is so fleshed out and intelligent. There is slow pace and there is unbearably snail pace.
Though the heart wavers,
Wisdom marches to no beat,
Thoughts remain after.

—elite-sama
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 25, 2013 7:42 PM

Jun 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:

Not your cup of tea I guess? I've always loved cyberpunk and Texhnolyze is one of the best cyberpunk shows out there. You must have only watched the first couple of episodes if you think it's all just heavy breathing.
получить деньги моего друга
Oct 25, 2013 7:46 PM

Sep 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:

This. It's a pretentious show that only ends up being boring, apparently its only purpose is to annoy you, there's no entertainment value.
Oct 25, 2013 7:49 PM

Oct 2012
Litrydow said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:

This. It's a pretentious show that only ends up being boring, apparently its only purpose is to annoy you, there's no entertainment value.
Annoyance tickles
the temper of engagement.
One cannot be bored.

—elite-sama
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 25, 2013 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
Steins Gate
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 25, 2013 8:00 PM

Sep 2013
Mars of Destruction
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
Oct 25, 2013 8:56 PM
Jul 2012
Texhnolyze isn't intelligent at all, it was basically a one trick pony. While the setting and mood of the series were menorable to say the least, it's not anything special in terms of story, characters, or directing. GiTS explored more the themes of transhumanism. Only aspect it stands out for using it "intelligently" is the sound

Anyway Lain for me, close seconds are Utena and Eva
Oct 25, 2013 9:27 PM

Feb 2013
Mawaru Penguindrum, Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Oct 25, 2013 9:30 PM

Oct 2012
Tarextherex said:
Texhnolyze isn't intelligent at all, it was basically a one trick pony. While the setting and mood of the series were menorable to say the least, it's not anything special in terms of story, characters, or directing. GiTS explored more the themes of transhumanism. Only aspect it stands out for using it "intelligently" is the sound

Anyway Lain for me, close seconds are Utena and Eva
Texhnolyze isn't really about transhumanism.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 25, 2013 10:15 PM

Oct 2012
Paranoia Agent and Ghost in the Shell SAC series.

Oct 26, 2013 12:10 AM

Jan 2013
Monster..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 26, 2013 12:33 AM
Sep 2013
Litrydow said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:

But it's on your favorites list, I don't understand..
Oct 26, 2013 2:47 AM

Apr 2013
Not sure if I'd call it the most intelligent, but Baccano has definitely some of the best writing I've seen in any anime. The story is very confusing at first but then every thing comes to place perfectly in such a clever way that I was left amazed by the end of it.

I wish I could say the same about Mawaru Penguindrum...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 26, 2013 3:16 AM

May 2013
Death Note most likely..
Oct 26, 2013 3:18 AM

May 2008
Let me have the 600th post. _(:3 」 ∠)_

The most memorable ones for me: Kaiji, Texhnolyze and SEL.
Oct 26, 2013 3:18 AM
Aug 2013
Crassa said:
Death Note most likely..
agree, It has intense plot and character development
Oct 26, 2013 3:19 AM
Aug 2011
I once had a friend whose name was Anime. He is the most intelligent anime I've seen both because I've never seen any anime with any form of intelligence before and he actually had pretty high IQ scores.
Oct 26, 2013 3:23 AM

Jul 2013
Death Note has character development? When? Where?
Oct 26, 2013 3:26 AM

Aug 2013
Death Note and
Code Geass
Oct 26, 2013 3:34 AM

Jun 2010
Death Note [the first half particularly]
Kindaichi Case Files [oldschool feels]
Monster [need I say more]

;]
Oct 26, 2013 3:34 AM

Aug 2013
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Oct 26, 2013 3:39 AM

Feb 2013
Texhnolyze. Did not see LOGH though.
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Oct 26, 2013 3:42 AM
Aug 2013
hybreezy said:
Death Note has character development? When? Where?

Well u do get to know about the characters. They also had a quick change of personality which made it dramatic to the audience between L and light.
Oct 26, 2013 3:47 AM

Jun 2013
Monster, by far. Death Note isn't something to be scoffed at, though. Both L and Light are geniuses and it's very fun to watch their "cat and mouse game".
Oct 26, 2013 6:25 AM
Sep 2012
Monster
Death Note
Elfen Lied
Sword Art Online
Detective Conan
Princess Mononoke
Gankutsuou

And Gantz, to an extent.
Oct 26, 2013 6:33 AM

Jun 2008
I watched monster, death note and code geass and i think they are all excellent series. But honestly speaking, i don't find any of them to be intelligent even with all the anime/manga that i've watched/read depending on what you meant by the term. While anime series do portray some realistic and mature themes and capable of communicating meaningful message to people; it doesn't make them intelligent by all means. Mature? Yes! Intelligent? Not really.
EstherellaOct 26, 2013 6:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2013 6:35 AM

Aug 2013
Estherella said:
depending on what you meant by the term.
K then what is your definition of "intelligent" then.

elite-sama said:
Oct 26, 2013 6:39 AM

May 2013
i haven't see anyone talking about Monogatari (Series)

Nekomonogatari <- A bit ecchi service, but the story and characters is great!
Bakemonogatari <- Like a good conversation all time
Nisemonogatari <- Right this one is pure Ecchi Service forget it haha

Monogatari Series Second Season <- Man i haven't see anything more intelligent like this one, recommend with all my strength!

btw this series is very hard mode, maybe some people can't understand some things about japanese culture.
Oct 26, 2013 6:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Probably Steins.

If VNs are tolerated then Ever17 is the most ingenius story I've ever seen though.
Oct 26, 2013 6:41 AM

Jun 2008
BallsOfShinji said:
Estherella said:

If you meant 'intelligent' as in incorporating mature elements and themes then yes, i suppose they are intelligent. In terms of underlying messages, then no, not really. But if you meant as in life changing views or philosophical elements then it's not so much which is why it depends on what people meant by the term "intelligent". There's no really the most intelligent anime for me because i hadn't seen one yet that really gets my mind-blown and i certainly don't want to make anime out seem to be more mature than it really is .
EstherellaOct 26, 2013 6:45 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2013 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
Estherella said:
BallsOfShinji said:
Estherella said:

If you meant 'intelligent' as in incorporating mature elements and themes then yes, i suppose they are intelligent. In terms of underlying messages, then no, not really. But if you meant as in life changing views or philosophical elements then it's not so much which is why it depends on what people meant by the term "intelligent".

I think what is inferred by the OP here is the earlier of the two meanings that you have given and in the case of the latter I would agree that the two of the three anime that you have mentioned are not intelligent, not including Monster.

elite-sama said:
Oct 26, 2013 6:46 AM

Jun 2012
Gintama

Dat comedy is some intellectual shit
Oct 26, 2013 6:47 AM

Jul 2012
Spiral
Death note
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Pages (18) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Troll the audience episodes

TheBlockernator - 34 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 seconds ago

» Animes you wish had dubs?

Mattenan - Yesterday

28 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago

» Any other Retro Anime watchers only? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - May 30

73 by LostSpectre »»
23 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

314 by alshu »»
1 hour ago

» Are bigger boobs really more of a draw for female characters?

fallout45 - Yesterday

16 by KitsuFrost »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.