Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2017 4:16 PM

Feb 2017
Watching anime while eating is very easy if what you're eating it's something like potato chips or popcorn, but (for me, at least) it was very difficult to pay attention to the anime while eating "plate food". Maybe it was because I don't like to miss details and I'm very selective with what part of my food I'll eat first.
So, I'm a bit curious on your cases. Have you tried it? Is it difficult to you or not?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2017 4:21 PM

Jul 2014
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.
I can only do it if it's dubbed and something that doesn't need my full attention. Otherwise, I'll just munch on snacks or drink something while I'm watching something more... intense, I guess? Something that needs more of my attention than say a show like Bobobo lol.

People have told me that this is weird, though, so I'm happy there are others out there xD
Sep 2, 2017 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
Well, yes. You will have to look down at your food, at the subtitles (there could be multiple set of subtitles too, for when more than one person is talking) as well as what's happening in the story. This doesn't even include looking at details such as continuities.
Sep 2, 2017 4:24 PM

Oct 2012
I don't multitask at all expect for drinks
Sep 2, 2017 4:26 PM

Apr 2017
i don't cus it's very distracting lol and when i have to pause, my hands are dirty;;;;

still life: pink roses
Sep 2, 2017 4:28 PM

Jul 2017
I don't eat food like chips that makes noises because it distracts me
eating plate food on the other hand makes boring anime more enjoyable
Sep 2, 2017 4:29 PM

Feb 2016
I've tried this before and nope it doesn't work, and i think it's cuz i hate missing on anything so much and it'd make me feel that I didn't get the whole thing
Sep 2, 2017 4:31 PM
Jul 2018
When watching:
Dubs-hell no. The noise my mouth makes while eating makes it difficult to hear.
Subs-eh, not really. I still end up eating all the food within a few minutes.
Sep 2, 2017 4:31 PM

Feb 2016
RedInfinity said:
Well, yes. You will have to look down at your food, at the subtitles (there could be multiple set of subtitles too, for when more than one person is talking) as well as what's happening in the story. This doesn't even include looking at details such as continuities.
It would be a big mess alright, expecially if you watch subs
Sep 2, 2017 4:36 PM

Aug 2015
I do do it sometimes, but mainly it's while watching a slice of life or a rom-com. If you miss a few things here or there, it's generally quite easy to fill in the blanks. I also find it quite enjoyable when rewatching a show, as missing things on the rewatch isn't as detrimental to your viewing experience.
Sep 2, 2017 4:40 PM

Apr 2013
Heck yeah I do it, chips, popcorn, mr.noodle with some hot sauce and lime while watching Chinese Cartoons = gud s**t

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Sep 2, 2017 4:43 PM

Jul 2013
I hate eating while watching TV in general. Even when it doesn't involve reading do you miss things because of the noise.
Sep 2, 2017 4:46 PM

Nov 2016
İ think im really used to it my hands automaticly doing it work and with headphones voices is not problem.Minimal focus lose so its not really problem but i wouldn't eat if im watching something i consider masterpiece or something very complex.
Sep 2, 2017 4:54 PM

Jun 2017
When eating I switch to something I don't enjoy much but still try to give a chance
Sep 2, 2017 8:15 PM

Jan 2017
Me too. I always prefer to finish "plate food" real quick and continue on watching anime, it's faster than keeping hitting the "pause" botton while eating and I don't lose any enjoyment this way. Maybe because I am a fast eater >_>

For the snacks, I always choose the ones that dont get my hand dirty.
Sep 2, 2017 8:17 PM

Feb 2015
Mhhh... You created this thread when I hadn't have a proper meal for like 2 days...
Sep 2, 2017 8:22 PM

Jul 2016
I don't like to just be watching anime and nothing else so I need some side task to do like eating. Also had dubbed anime in the background when I played Dark Souls 3 cause I felt like it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2017 8:24 PM
May 2017
Yeah I do eat my dinner watching anime (on my phone). I think that while eating chips and crunchy stuff, I need to increase the volume cause of all the crunching
Sep 2, 2017 8:26 PM

Jun 2015
I can do it easy, but I don't really need subs and I've been doing the eating while watching schtick for years.
Sep 2, 2017 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
Not difficult at all, it's not like I have to analyze every section of every scene and as long as I read the subtitles from my peripherals I still have pretty adequate context for the scene.
Worst case scenario get a tray or hold the plate and have the food right in front of you and just don't bury your face in it. Or if neither of those things are possible if you really feel like you missed an important detail you also have the option to rewind or pause.
GamerDLMSep 2, 2017 8:35 PM
Sep 2, 2017 8:33 PM

Apr 2015
I just stuff my face and don't think to much about it
Sep 2, 2017 8:37 PM
May 2015
BlameSaiki said:
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.
I can only do it if it's dubbed and something that doesn't need my full attention. Otherwise, I'll just munch on snacks or drink something while I'm watching something more... intense, I guess? Something that needs more of my attention than say a show like Bobobo lol.

People have told me that this is weird, though, so I'm happy there are others out there xD
100% THIS ^^

I have an extremely hard time watching anime in subbed while eating so whenever I eat, I make sure that the anime that I'm watching is dubbed. Otherwise, I'm on Youtube.

On the other hand, I can watch some slice of life shows (subbed) while eating at the same time.

Sep 2, 2017 8:38 PM

May 2014
It requires a heavy amount of multi-tasking that I'm just generally not built for.

Saying that, I was so addicted to HxH when I was watching it that I tried to bring huge plates of stuff to my desk (fish and chips, curry, the works basically).

It was then that I understood the true glory of Pizza.
It can be plate food and finger food.

But yeah, as a general rule of thumb I usually drink about 10 cups of coffee when I watch my anime instead. With food, I either eat way too much or drop it all over the place.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2017 8:41 PM

Sep 2016
i only watch anime while eating and i only eat while watching anime. both watching anime and eating are such a waste of time activity, so I just combine it into 1 activity.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 2, 2017 8:51 PM

Mar 2015
aww.. that's soo gross... you know, how about the crumbs? how about your hand? how about your device? yuck...
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/story?id=4774746&page=1

"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 2, 2017 8:51 PM

Jan 2017
I always tease my husband who can't eat and read subtitles at the same time. I don't have a problem with eating and watching unless it's something gruesome but that goes for non- anime too.
Sep 2, 2017 8:56 PM

Sep 2016
ZunuSan said:
Watching anime while eating is very easy if what you're eating it's something like potato chips or popcorn, but (for me, at least) it was very difficult to pay attention to the anime while eating "plate food". Maybe it was because I don't like to miss details and I'm very selective with what part of my food I'll eat first.
So, I'm a bit curious on your cases. Have you tried it? Is it difficult to you or not?

I watch anime and eat a meal at the same time quite frequently.
For subtitled shows, yeah, I do take longer to finish whatever I am eating, but can still accomplish both.

For those of you that are old enough to drive, you'll understand.... it's kinda like when you're driving.
Your main focus is on the road/traffic in front of you (reading subtitles), while also checking your mirrors (the rest of the screen).
While doing all that, you also take quick glances at the dashboard to monitor your speed, fuel level, etc. (looking at your plate to select the next bite)

As with most things in life, the more you practice the easier it gets.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 2, 2017 9:09 PM

Aug 2016
Yes. I do that pretty much eat and watch all the time. There's no problems.

Loud food? No problem. I use earbuds. I can still hear especially watching dubs

I have my bowl or plate in front of me and my laptop further back. Stare at screen while grabbing the general area of your food and proceed to eat. Not difficult.

If I miss something, hit keyboard shortcut to rewind a couple of seconds.

If I'm using my hands and it's greasy food, I make sure to always have one hand not touching any of the contents and use it to navigate when necessary
MechKingKillbotSep 2, 2017 9:13 PM
Sep 2, 2017 9:10 PM
Jun 2017
It may sound weird but I have to look at what I eat. If I don't look at the food while I'm eating, I feel like I could be eating anything. Like, what if a bastard fly landed on my pizza and I took a bite? Ew. Gross. I'll rather die

In all seriousness though, I can't multitask. Reading and eating are impossible for me. Especially if it's "plate food"
Sep 2, 2017 9:13 PM

Apr 2017
why dont you just not eat and spend that money on some weed
always good plan
~
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Sep 2, 2017 9:15 PM

Aug 2016
Unlike you, I can't possibly watch anime while eating potato chips. I usually put on headphones, and when I start eating, all I hear is my teeth beating, crushing, bombing the chips. Well, it's not like I understand what they say but, ya know, it's hard to follow while hearing your devil teeth exploding the poor chips in yar mouth.
Sep 2, 2017 9:16 PM

May 2015
I watch an episode of anime as I eat during my lunch break at work every single workday. Plate food with coffee and a banana. I'm watching on a cellphone though. I don't eat when watching on a TV unless it's something simple like chips or popcorn...
Sep 2, 2017 9:32 PM
May 2015
Yes, anime distracting me from food and food distracting me from anime isn't fun
Sep 2, 2017 9:33 PM

Jun 2015
Lol if that's true then you MIGHT have a concentration problem.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Sep 2, 2017 10:10 PM

Nov 2009
ZunuSan said:

I often do it. Recently I discovered that Isekai Shokudou is a lot better to watch while eating, otherwise you get too hungry watching all those fantasy people eating.

Kuma said:
aww.. that's soo gross... you know, how about the crumbs? how about your hand? how about your device? yuck...

A PC keyboard can store a whole lot of crumbs without impacting its functionality. Try turning yours over and seeing how much stuff falls out.
It is a good idea to keep some tissue or a handkerchief nearby in case you suddenly need to work the controls and your hands are dirty from food. But where I live, most proper meals don't get hands dirty, because they're eaten with a spoon or a fork.
Sep 2, 2017 10:11 PM
Jun 2017
depend on what anime i'm watching
but generally, i can't multitasking
Sep 2, 2017 10:14 PM
Aug 2017
I usually eat while watching anime when I am watching it on T.V. But when I am watching them on my laptop , I never eat anything .
Sep 2, 2017 10:20 PM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
Kuma said:

A PC keyboard can store a whole lot of crumbs without impacting its functionality. Try turning yours over and seeing how much stuff falls out.
It is a good idea to keep some tissue or a handkerchief nearby in case you suddenly need to work the controls and your hands are dirty from food. But where I live, most proper meals don't get hands dirty, because they're eaten with a spoon or a fork.

>clean
>tissue/handkerchief

come back again whn you using water you dirty hand...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 2, 2017 10:29 PM

Nov 2016
I watch every thing subbed & I can't pay attention and eat at the same time. It annoys me. I just end up making a big mess I have to clean (crumbs, sandwich fillings, cream cheese, etc. off of my my sheets, I like laying down because I'm lazy asf) that takes more time away from watching.
Sep 2, 2017 10:37 PM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:
flannan said:

>clean
>tissue/handkerchief

Water doesn't clean much fat. You gotta use soap or wipe hands with tissues.
Sep 2, 2017 10:43 PM

Mar 2015
flannan said:
Kuma said:

>clean
>tissue/handkerchief

Water doesn't clean much fat. You gotta use soap or wipe hands with tissues.

doesn't necessary need soap, you can simply use basil leave...that's if you eating something with fat or oil.. why people soo obsessed with them still beyond me tho...
Sep 2, 2017 11:09 PM

Jan 2010
I don't eat foods nor snacks during my watch. I don't need distractions.
Unless it's an anime I'm not really serious in watching/not a favorite, sometimes I eat snacks. But I can't eat foods while watching anything.
Sep 2, 2017 11:36 PM

Apr 2015
If I'm distracted from anime by eating then it doesn't really deserve my full attention. Thus I always strive to eat while watching.

I often even split the screen and surf the internet. I'm doing exactly that atm
Sep 2, 2017 11:46 PM

Aug 2013
So long as you aren't a slob/fumble finger then eating in front of your computer should be alright.

I enjoy watching anime on the tele a bit more, though. And occasionally will eat a meal in front of said tele no big woop.
Sep 2, 2017 11:56 PM

May 2016
I did it once while watching konosuba and I never did it again because it hurted my stomach for so much laughing.I don't really like to miss details so when I do I try to find opportune moments to eat a little while my eyes are reading subs.I don't really do it much except Isekai Shokudou mainly because it makes me hungry when watching so I only watch it when I eat.
Carbon is a chemical Element with symbol C and atomic number 6. It is nonmetallic and tetravalent—making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds.
Symbol: C
Atomic mass: 12.0107 u ± 0.0008 u
Atomic number: 6
Electron configuration: [He] 2s22p2
Discovered: 3750 BC
Electrons per shell: 2, 4
Sep 3, 2017 12:12 AM

Jun 2008
Yeah sometimes...but I'm kinda germophobic and I hate touching other things when I'm eating so, it depends...
Sep 3, 2017 12:33 AM

Jan 2016
I actually eat both snacks and "plate food" almost every time I watch anime. Don't know why, but if I'm alone I get bored from just eating and not doing something else, so I tend to watch anime while doing so. Normally if I have to cut something on the plate or have to pay attention to the food I just pause what I'm watching or go backwards a few seconds if I think I missed something.
Sep 3, 2017 12:59 AM

Jan 2011
what i've learnt from this thread is a lot of people here can't multitask for some reason which is fine lol

I normally do all my binge watching for the day right when i have my meal since it's the only time i watch anime normally ,knocking two birds with one stone even better when i get some takeout or delivery feelsgoodman eating pizza while watching your favorite shows been doing it for years.

all this talk about getting your stuff dirty is wack though just wash yo hands when your done unless you're out on the go or using some sorta handheld device that's a different story but i don't do that so yeah
Sep 3, 2017 2:53 AM

Apr 2014
I always eat while playing games or watching anime. I don't really see the problem with it. The only thing I'd see a problem with would be the sound but I can just turn the volume up a bit.
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Sep 3, 2017 2:57 AM

Feb 2013
i found school days in particular to work very well while eating
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Could reused Anime themes/cover music likely become a trend in Anime in the near future?

Jozuwa-_- - 4 hours ago

12 by Guilmon1 »»
37 seconds ago

» Do you guys like any of the 4kids openings

HattoriSoul - Sep 13

27 by RareAnimeHunter »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that are lost media

Maciusiek - Apr 27, 2021

47 by pk8list »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers? ( 1 2 )

Reshiram_IX - Sep 20

53 by RareAnimeHunter »»
27 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024? ( 1 2 )

thewiru - Sep 20

56 by Cammell »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.