Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2008 6:27 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
42,770 ships and 4,608,900 soldiers versus... ???

I want to see how many Reuental can convince to join in his rebellion. Demanding the removal of Oberstein and Lang was a smart move on his part as that could be a galvanizing force to persuade ones on the fence. Oberstein takes the role as everybody's punching bag.

The upcoming battle can prove most dentrimental if Mittermeyer should fail and die. Reinhard has been losing his top admirals one by one. He'll be isolated with rookies if this keeps up.

Hilda won't be able to hide her pregnancy forever. Although it is probably best she keeps it secret while Reinhard has his hands full. Should he learn the news his sense of obligation may take over.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 25, 2008 6:08 PM

Mar 2008
Hilda is a tool for not telling him. I just lost a lot of respect for her.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Jun 26, 2008 5:02 AM

Apr 2007
She just learned of her pregnancy herself and it wouldn't have been the right time to tell him anyway. She knows he's got a big task at hand and needs to focus on quelling the rebellion. It's not like she's doing it to be malicious. Her father even said it himself a few episodes back that she would never use a one night stand as a weapon against Reinhard.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 30, 2008 10:52 AM

Mar 2008
I wasn't saying she should have used it against Reinhard, I was saying she should have told him as soon as she knew. Even if there was a rebellion. My thoughts at the time of my above post were that, Hilda wanted to keep it, and Reinhard probably would not. I also feared for Hilda. I thought if she kept it a secret long enough that it would make Reinhard REALLY angry when he did find out, especially if it was not from Hilda.

This is a REAL spoiler in these tags. Do not open them unless you are ready for it ...

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Aug 19, 2008 3:55 PM

Sep 2007
I don't hate Oberstein. At the beginning of the series, I thought he was purely evil (mostly because Kircheis didn't trust him), but now it's evident that he's just a realpolitik, in the truest sense of the word. He does what needs to be done in the most efficient way possible. I doubt he'll ever betray Reinhard, but his loyalty is frequently more painful than any betrayal could be, most notably in the case of Westerland.

Lang, on the other hand, is conspiring with Rubinsky, who could still be connected to the Terraists. The only really evil people in this series are the upper clergy of the Church of Terra.
Oct 2, 2008 1:48 AM

Feb 2008
naikou said:
I don't hate Oberstein. At the beginning of the series, I thought he was purely evil (mostly because Kircheis didn't trust him), but now it's evident that he's just a realpolitik, in the truest sense of the word. He does what needs to be done in the most efficient way possible. I doubt he'll ever betray Reinhard, but his loyalty is frequently more painful than any betrayal could be, most notably in the case of Westerland.

Lang, on the other hand, is conspiring with Rubinsky, who could still be connected to the Terraists. The only really evil people in this series are the upper clergy of the Church of Terra.

I've pretty much seen Oberstein in the same way as this myself, although Mittermeyer and Reuental probably don't believe this. Oberstein is insanely twisted, but not ambitious like Lang or Rubinsky, so I don't think he'd care to dethrone or rebel against Reinhard, take a quest to grab for more power, etc.

He's kind of grown on me. I didn't like him at first because of Kircheis' feelings towards him that seemed pretty believable, but I guess Oberstein is good at being a hateful bastard (whom doesn't care if he's hated, lol).
Aug 22, 2009 8:39 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I think Oberstein is doing what's best for the survival and prosperity of the Empire. He will purposely brand himself as the "bad guy" and dirty his own hands instead of tarnishing Reinhard's. In that aspect, it's like light cannot exist without shadow, and Oberstein is doing all the dirty work and assimilate all the hate to him.

Since the beginning, I found Oberstein to be a respectable and necessary character even if I don't agree with all his ways and philosophy.

Hilda is pregnant, as expected. This will bring back the age-old issue of heredity in monarchical systems......
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 11, 2009 12:32 PM

Mar 2009
How the hell do you fit so much 'fuck yeah' in one episode?
I started clapping when Mittermeyer approached Lang. It was reckless, as Kesler was awesome enough to point out, but Mittermeyer gets overlooked too often. He and Reuental are such awesome friends.
And I don't think it'd be good to even present the issue of a pregnancy to Reinhard for him to worry about it. He needs to have his head on the matters before him now. Even two weeks later would be better. Regardless of what happens later, Hilda made a rational decision for the situation that's there now. I liked her this episode just for finally bouncing back from her emotional turmoil to be of use again.
Nov 20, 2009 5:19 PM

Dec 2008
That better not have been the kiss of death from Eva. All sympathetic characters should absolutely avoid waving goodbye to, kissing and/or hugging loved ones before heading to battle.

Still, Mittermeyer VS Reuenthal has been in the works for a long time. I remember many many episodes ago that Rheuental said, if ever he was to fight against Mittermeyer, that Gale Wolf would have the initial advantage, but he'd be the one left standing. I wonder if that apparently unimportant remark might be portentious here.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Nov 21, 2009 12:54 AM

Oct 2007
Silverhammer said:
That better not have been the kiss of death from Eva. All sympathetic characters should absolutely avoid waving goodbye to, kissing and/or hugging loved ones before heading to battle.

Still, Mittermeyer VS Reuenthal has been in the works for a long time. I remember many many episodes ago that Rheuental said, if ever he was to fight against Mittermeyer, that Gale Wolf would have the initial advantage, but he'd be the one left standing. I wonder if that apparently unimportant remark might be portentious here.

No. Reuenthal actually refers to Bittenfeld about this. Check eps 28-29(around there I'm sure)
Feb 13, 2010 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
I don't think I've ever cheered on a character harder since Yang's proposal. Wolfgang really felt like a wolf ready to off its prey, and seeing the look of absolute terror on Lang's face brought smiles to mine..... until Char stepped in. While I'd like to curse Char out from stopping Wolfgang, he only acted appropriately as per his title.

I hope Wolfgang walks out of this alive despite hoping to fall in battle. He shouldn't need to wring himself over because of what's been happening to Reuenthal.
May 12, 2010 4:53 PM

Aug 2008
Plot has become so complicated at this point. I think that report made Reinhard snap out of his puerile behavior which was seriously starting to piss me off.

Reuenthal...he really hates himself so much. But for Mittermeyer to agree to fight against him...that is so not cool.
Jul 5, 2010 5:13 PM

Feb 2010
Now Hilda is pregnant? It gets more and more complicated..
I wonder when she will tell him.
Also I'm very glad to see Lang removed from his position. And I was surprised that Mittermeyer seemed to realize, that not Oberstein, but Lang is the bad guy. We haven't actually seen Oberstein doing anything wrong since the bombing incident..
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 26, 2010 6:32 AM

Apr 2008
Here is another character development that I really enjoyed. Mittermeyer is maybe the Yang Wenli of the Empire,he feels so humble,so nice with people and protective too. That's the kind of soldier who gains respect because of his skills for battles, but also
because of his soft words and thinkings.
and it's really moving to see him go back and forth between his desire to personnally prevent another battle to come and to kill Lang, and his will and duty to maintain
the kaiser's hands unsoiled. I felt terribly sorry for him.
Oct 21, 2010 3:03 PM

May 2010
When Eva said goodbye, Brahm's 3rd was playing in the background. Whenever I hear this clip in the series, I can't help but feel like something bad is going to happen. It's such a melancholy piece I can't help but feel that Eva and the Wolf have just said their final goodbyes.
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 28, 2010 5:20 AM

Jan 2010
oh man,i didn't like Eva and Mittermeyer's fairwell scene at all :(,as the guy above me said,there was also that sad song playing,and if i'm right..

Mittermeyer doesn't deserve to die!

other things that happened this episode...let's see
so Hilda's pregnant...i saw that coming for some reason,heh,but i think she should tell him...it might boost his confidence

i'm curious how this will turn out,but i sincerely don't like what's happening

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 14, 2011 10:49 PM

May 2010
I don't hate Oberstein at all, he was just so dull in the beginning that I don't think I could've added him to my favorite character list. But this man is something else.

Thank goodness that fat vermin has been removed.

Hilde made the right choice to not tell Reinhard about it now
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 14, 2011 12:07 AM

Apr 2009
I feel so sorry for Mittermeyer right now...Reuental's pride is too huge for me to feel sorry for him, because he could have still avoided the situation, but poor Wolf...trying so hard to save his friend and yet remain loyal to his Kaiser, can't say it's an enviable situation.

Well, everyone's exclaiming their feelings about Oberstein, and so will I. Can't say I didn't hate him in the beginning, Kircheis being my favourite character at that time, and Oberstein being basically his polar opposite...but a few of his recent appearances made me rethink his character, and I must say, I have newfound respect for the wits and guts of this guy. Hell, he basically stole this episode for me with ONE SHORT SCENE, despite it being mainly about my favourite character, Wolf.

Hilda pregnant, can't say it's really that surprising, considering the Law of Inverse Fertility being omnipresent in fictional works, also the narrator's spoiler at the end of the previous episode, damn. Remind me not to watch those, I haven't for many many episodes and it was just fine.

Hooray for Lang being exposed as the bastard he is!
Wolf, return alive D:
CenedessDec 14, 2011 12:14 AM
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Dec 21, 2011 6:20 AM
Feb 2011
I REALLY don't want anything to happen to Admiral Mittermeyer. Like seriously. But knowing this show...
Feb 18, 2012 8:31 PM

Sep 2009
No no no no.
Mittemeyer. No kissing your wife goodbye.
;-;
Feb 19, 2012 6:20 AM
Nov 2010
So Hilda is pregnant, uh? I look forward to cute little Reinhards running around Phezann.
Oberstein...I still have some kind of hate towards him because of what happened to Kircheis, I know he wasn't responsible but it's because of him that Kircheis didn't carry a gun with himself so...well anyway, I truly respect Oberstein. He's kind of the perfect politic or something like that.

And Reuenthal vs. Mittermeyer, as I said in previous episodes, I'm already crying...to see how desperate Mittermeyer was when talking to Reinhard, he really does love his friend...;-;
I wish he could have at least punched Lang's ugly face, I hate that man.
Mar 16, 2012 1:31 AM

Aug 2010
Awwwwww snap

Next episode is going to be BIG

Twin Stars collide!
May 3, 2012 5:18 PM

Mar 2011
I will turn furniture if the Gale Wolf is about to make his last howl.

Hilda got knocked up, eh? That a boy Reinhard!
May 4, 2012 8:36 PM

Aug 2008
Hilda forgot her promise to answer the Kaiser's marriage proposal upon his return!

Also, Eva is really quite charming.
MerrilMay 4, 2012 10:10 PM
May 28, 2012 5:06 PM

Feb 2012
tainteddonut said:
42,770 ships and 4,608,900 soldiers versus... ???

5,226,400 soldiers, but I don't know if they've given the number of ships in Neue-Land.

However, that's assuming that all of those soldiers join Reuenthal's "rebellion" unilaterally, and assuming that Reuenthal can mobilize all of them immediately. Mittermeyer would have an early advantage, anyway, and it's not like Reuenthal has anyone under him like Wahlen and Bittenfeld.

Of course, it can't possibly be that simple....
May 28, 2012 10:25 PM

Aug 2010
I have a feeling that Mittermeyer is going to die.
Aug 7, 2013 2:11 PM

Jun 2013
Absolutely stunning display of feelings from Mittermeyer!
Oct 1, 2013 6:57 AM

Nov 2009
I honestly would have thought that Hilda would have actually answered Reinhard's proposal upon coming back from such an ordeal, but instead they swept it under the rug? Well that can't continue for more than a few months . . . Oh well. Anyways I kind of fear for Mittenmeyer.

But what was truly unexpected was Oberstein wanting to go to Heinessen . . . Knowing full well that Reuenthal hates him, and to go with Lang no less. Though honestly, Oberstein probably could talk Reuenthal out of this (ironically). Surely Oberstein sees the damage that would be done if Reuenthal were to fall (with regards to the empire, as well as Reinhard personally)
Feb 12, 2014 12:12 PM

Sep 2013
Ok so it's official Reinhard junior is coming.

Really emotional moment by Mittermayer indeed.
Apr 29, 2014 12:26 AM

Sep 2008
Finally that slimeball is somewhat out of picture. Too bad Mittenmeyer didn't shoot him, so I guess Lang will be doing something in the following episodes. Perhaps he tries some kind of revenge to Mittenmeyer since he totally soiled Lang's pants
Aug 12, 2014 5:09 AM

Nov 2013
God dammnit Lang lives yet another episode.

It's sad all the best characters are probably going to be outlived by him, the same goes to Job Truniht. Why did Mittermeyer's kiss with his wife feel like a final goodbye...
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 16, 2014 7:10 PM

Mar 2012
Another dam death flag....
Dec 17, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2013
I always have a hard time understanding what Oberstein and Reuental are thinking.
Jan 7, 2015 5:48 PM

Jan 2014
At least one of the rats got their just dues. Lang out of the picture.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 13, 2015 3:36 PM
Sep 2014
I actually like Oberstein. He doesn't care what those around him think of him, he'll do what he thinks is right regardless. In regards to the Westerland incident, he was probably right about it ultimately saving more lives, though at the time I agreed more with Reinhard's stance.

This season is very entertaining so far, unlike last which really dragged in a few areas, particularly most episodes centering around Isherlon Fortress.
Mar 14, 2015 4:08 PM

Aug 2014
More development this episode. I hope they don't actually have to fight.
Apr 12, 2015 8:40 PM

Sep 2014
Ugh... the death flags.
Jun 5, 2015 8:10 AM
Nov 2014
I don't want them to fight...goddamnit LANG YOU ASSHOLE.
Jun 21, 2015 3:23 PM

May 2012
Hilda being pregnant :o I do wonder when she'll tell and when she will present her decision to Reinhard! Great episode, let's see what's next!
Jun 21, 2015 6:31 PM

Oct 2012
Cmon Hilda. You love him. You know it.

Jul 28, 2015 12:36 AM

Dec 2013
Didn't expect Hilda to get pregnant 0.0
Jul 28, 2015 11:40 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Can't wait to see what Hilda's and Reinhard's kid will be like in the future.

And anyone remember that Oberstein indirectly killed Kircheis?
Aug 27, 2015 2:54 PM

May 2012
and hildas pregers... i knew that was gonna happen lol, but this is quite the development, i could end up turning out any number of ways, i need to know what happens now lol
Jun 24, 2016 5:43 PM

Aug 2014
Hildegarde : "It can't...It was just one night"
I fucking lol'd.
Jul 12, 2016 12:42 PM

May 2016
All it takes is just one time, guh. Sex Ed 101.

I wasn't surprised at all to find out that she's prego. Good to know Lang is finally gone (hopefully). I was getting tired seeing his sorry ass on my screen. Oberstein is a bamf, it cracks me up how almost everyone on the show talks smack about him. Sure, he rubs people the wrong way but he doesn't give a fffff, just the way I like it.
"ドSではない。迢ドSだ." - 蘇芳先生、月華撩乱 Romance

Nov 10, 2016 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
This is the first time i pay attention to Emil, is he REALLY good?
And i knew Oberstien was good and on Reinhard side from episode 26 were he defended Reinhard with his own body.
Dec 31, 2017 3:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Marindorf pregnant!!! this was the best of this episode!!!
Feb 26, 2018 1:46 PM

May 2016
That big idiooooooooot ugh I feel so bad for him, if only Sieg was alive if only.
Apr 20, 2018 11:08 PM

Jul 2017
Looks like Mittermeyer is going to.....
May 21, 2018 12:17 AM
Apr 2018
Mittermeyer's plea to Reinhard was so amazing. He's doing all he can but the two idiots are just too prideful and will kill millions because of it. I really hope he doesn't die yet but it looked just like Kemph's and Lutz's goodbyes....

Lang has been caught. Shame as I thought the prospect of him being dragged in front of Reuetnal but Oberstein sounded awesome.

Hilda's pregnant. Yeah, except that proposal!

Kesler is amazing. He's a no-nonsense dude. Glad he honoured Lutz's request and exposed Lang. He was probably trying to tell Mittermeyer not to kill him knowing full well that Lang was about to go.

Power standings

1) Empire. Three fleets are about to crush Reuetnal.
2) Ruetnal. Don't be an idiot.
3) Julian. Will he decide in the next episode who to support?
4) Earth Cult
5) Rubinski
6) Goldenbaums

MVP: Easily Mittermeyer.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.