Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2008 8:11 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Trading in one form of tyranny for another. From the hints given by the narrator it sounds like the people won't be celebrating their Free Planets Alliance 'liberators' for very long. Wait until they meet the PKC...

Reinhard's plan to essentially bleed the Free Planets Alliance dry as they make their way deeper into Empire territory looks great on the surface. Yang predicted it but he's in no position to impact a major change yet. Now the question is how will the FPA respond and what will the ramifications be in the long run? Even if Reinhard succeeds in driving them back there is still the chance that any reclaimed territories may not want a peaceable return of the old regime.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 10, 2008 9:41 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, Yang now has less than an 8th of contol of the Alliance while Reinhard, Kircheis and Oberstein have 100%. So I am expexting something big for the alliance to make it even close. Though we don't know how many fleets the Empire has yet.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Aug 8, 2008 12:15 PM

Sep 2007
The Alliance is so screwed. I don't think any of the higher-ups believe this will work. Even the guy who made the invasion plan is only using it as a way to get a promotion.
Aug 5, 2009 2:39 PM

Jan 2009
This episode had all kinds of bad vibes coming from it. I'm expecting domination whether it be on the surface or out in space.
Sep 15, 2009 12:07 PM

Nov 2008
Nice ep I guess (better than the 9 and the 12 anyway).
I thought this episode would have some action but at least it didn't have any.
Dec 21, 2009 2:15 AM

Apr 2009
nice ep...
tho it was sad that that lady with her boy didnt come with that man...
anyway next ep should be nice
Jun 16, 2010 3:40 PM

Jul 2008
So... is the entire planet's population concentrated on that one town? :/

BEGINNER
Aug 1, 2010 7:13 PM

Jan 2009
Yeah, that one horse town will really bleed the Alliance fleet of 3.000.000 people dry...
Aug 22, 2010 4:07 PM

Jan 2010
adamantine said:

that's what i was wondering too lol

yeah i don't give the FPA many chances unfortunately :-(

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 16, 2010 2:24 PM

May 2010
Amazing so much emotonal in one episode even though I only got to know them for like 5 minutes.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 10, 2011 8:48 PM

Aug 2010
danz said:
Yeah, that one horse town will really bleed the Alliance fleet of 3.000.000 people dry...

The invasion hasn't even started yet. Wait until they have invaded a long number of planets and their supplies will run short.
Jul 31, 2011 1:01 PM
Jun 2011
30 million soldiers...it just doesn't seem like that would have been an easy task to suply them anyway.
Aug 23, 2011 4:20 PM
Jul 2010
Reinhard: Kircheis... on a beautiful night like this, somewhere a small unnamed star is stealthily going out. Therefore, other stars will increase their radiance in that star's place.
Kircheis: Because of the sacrifice of the star that vanished?
Reinhard: No... because of fate. Tonight will probably be a long night...
--- the next morning ---
Reinhard: It's as if the rain fell somewhere else, isn't it? Strange... when rain is falling, it mysteriously makes the heart heavy. But once it's over, it displays everything beautifully.
Kircheis: Maybe rain is just the tears of that nameless, extinguished star.
Reinhard: You're a poet.
Kircheis: No, just sentimental.

lol those two guys are hilarious. It's like they're pillow-talking astronomers. Still the theme of their conversation was pretty relavent to the Empire's backwater planets. Specifically, the inevitable sacrifices they and their people (including Kesler) are forced to make, for the sake of bigger stars' ambitions.

Kesler isn't personally interesting, even later in the series, but especially right now. His past was such a soldier cliche. Funny though, that while his life seems cheesy, the same idea directly expressed in a conversation comes off better.
Mar 17, 2012 1:33 PM

Feb 2012
This episode showed painfully the weaknesses of most if not all space series. On Earth we not only have many countries, but even within one country there are several cultures. Yet, this series has a huge empire consisting of a number of planets with a seemingly similar culture everywhere. It's the same in all sci-fi so I should probably overlook it: space is treated like an ocean, planets are small kingdoms, and empires spanning hundreds of planets are like countries.

So when it comes to the planet in this episode, not only did it seem that it's one village, but I'm wondering what the inhabitants do all day. The climate looks temperate, perfect for farming, yet they are in desperate need of Spam supplies.

Is it really true then that most planets in the empire are not self-sufficient and the cost of transporting tins of beef from other planets is actually lower than raising cattle locally? Maybe they're mass-producing beef on some single planet. but it hardly makes sense to transport it around the galaxy. Yes, it's possible that the Empire took away this year's harvest, but still there would be cattle left not to mention naturally growing edible things.
Apr 12, 2012 9:57 PM

Feb 2012
Feorg said:
So when it comes to the planet in this episode, not only did it seem that it's one village, but I'm wondering what the inhabitants do all day. The climate looks temperate, perfect for farming, yet they are in desperate need of Spam supplies.

Is it really true then that most planets in the empire are not self-sufficient and the cost of transporting tins of beef from other planets is actually lower than raising cattle locally? Maybe they're mass-producing beef on some single planet. but it hardly makes sense to transport it around the galaxy. Yes, it's possible that the Empire took away this year's harvest, but still there would be cattle left not to mention naturally growing edible things.

You missed the point. Reinhard's scorched earth campaign is a temporary measure: even though the frontier planets will be able to sustain themselves in the future, they've lost their ability to sustain themselves in the present and will be forced to draw from the reserves of the Alliance's invasion force. Having the ability to farm arable land and having the ability to tend to livestock mean nothing when you don't have enough food on hand to last a week.
Apr 20, 2012 5:08 AM

Feb 2012
Hakuromatsu said:
You missed the point. Reinhard's scorched earth campaign is a temporary measure: even though the frontier planets will be able to sustain themselves in the future, they've lost their ability to sustain themselves in the present and will be forced to draw from the reserves of the Alliance's invasion force. Having the ability to farm arable land and having the ability to tend to livestock mean nothing when you don't have enough food on hand to last a week.

Yes, they did lose the ability in the present and that's what ultimately made them angry. But that wasn't my point. I was obviously a bit unclear; I didn't mean to imply that the colonists can get new crops instantaneously. What I wanted to question was the idea that once the Empire took away all the supplies there was nothing left to eat anywhere on the planet. In other words, I find it hard to believe that the Empire is able to cripple the food supply of a colony so completely in a space era.

Imagine Iceland is the only country in the world and their food supplies are taken away. Suddenly aliens from outer space come to rescue. In the LotGH logic the aliens bring tins of Spam from light years away. But the Earth has plenty of wildlife and edible plants even if nothing is left in Iceland. Surely it would make more sense to gather food from uninhabited areas? Because the colonies are so small in population compared to the size of any planet, there should be no need to bring in any supplies if you can travel to the other side of the planet in a matter of minutes if not seconds.
Jul 28, 2012 4:32 PM

Feb 2009
Luthimal said:

Kircheis: Because of the sacrifice of the star that vanished?
Reinhard: No... because of fate. Tonight will probably be a long night...

that look of concern on kircheis spoke volumes, i sure hope Reinhard won't end up taking the wrong path somewhere
Jul 22, 2013 10:47 PM

Jun 2013
All is going well according to Reinhard.....Yang gonna have trouble with this hehe...
Sep 11, 2013 7:14 PM

Nov 2009
Love the plan, my only concern would be what if they alliance didn't immediately charge forward? Instead set up camp on the outer planets they have now "liberated".
Feb 10, 2014 1:47 AM

Sep 2008
Pirating_Ninja said:
Love the plan, my only concern would be what if they alliance didn't immediately charge forward? Instead set up camp on the outer planets they have now "liberated".
That woild be valid concern, except Reinhard probably knows that Alliance leaders are warmongers that just want to kick Empires ass and aren't especially concerned about supply lines.
Jun 2, 2014 8:48 AM

Sep 2011
ok episode but it its all set up for the next episode which seems way more interesting. That guy who likes that one chick(scholarly statement right there) is so dead.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 25, 2014 6:07 AM

Dec 2013
Great episode. I was really captured by the story between Vier and Ulrich. Pity that Vier stayed behind. Young Vier = BEAUTIFUL.

I'm going to be blunt. I disapprove with Reinhard's plan. Yes it is smart, but standing in the citizens shoes I could only feel hate towards the Empire. The "rebels" are invading and here the Empire comes and takes all our food and goods. Lets be realistic, even if the Empire DOES win in the end wouldn't the victims of this plan dislike the Empire even more??! Wouldn't this backfire??
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not on the Alliance's side however I cannot accept the way that the people suffer from this plan.

Oh well. Still a good episode. Looking forward to the next one too!
Oct 29, 2014 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
adamantine said:

Now that I think about it.....lol.
Feb 4, 2015 9:53 AM

May 2012
Nice episode, quite interesting development. Let's see what's next!
Feb 7, 2015 11:58 AM

Aug 2014
This is a very risky strategy they are doing here. If it works out, then they will have a major victory. Lets see who will win.
May 7, 2015 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
Slow episode in the beginning, but its just the calm before the storm, or something like that.
May 23, 2015 3:14 PM
Nov 2014
Weakest episode so far, but still decent.
Jun 20, 2015 5:48 AM

Dec 2013
Alliance are screwed! I await their impending failure :3
Aug 6, 2015 9:40 AM

Jul 2015
good episode cant wait how it plays out
Aug 10, 2015 11:47 PM

Jan 2014
A daring plan. But since it's Reinhard's, it'll be a success for sure! :D
Can't wait to see what will Yang manage to save and how ^-^

Also: "You're a poet.
No, just sentimental."
Sieg is such a charmer :3
Dec 28, 2015 3:17 PM

Oct 2013
This episode was far better than the last episode where the characters sit down in one place and talk for the entire episode. 3/5. Nothing amazing but was fairly enjoyable.
Apr 17, 2016 10:17 PM

Oct 2011
Pretty impressive tactic, however I'm feeling it won't last long and might backfire.
Apr 24, 2016 5:32 PM

Jun 2010
adamantine said:

Given that only three ships apparently stripped the whole planet of supplies, I guess so!

I'm surprised to hear that the population of the Empire is 25 billion given the number of bright dots on that map we keep seeing (it's the Empire on the right-hand side, correct?). It seems a very low figure; that's only a few times the population of Earth at the time this story was written. We've seen that in a large battle that goes badly a fleet can lose millions of soldiers very quickly. How could they sustain this for 150 years? Are big battles are actually very rare?

The latest supposed genius plan is at a bit fishy as usual. Is there some reason Reinhard is completely certain the Alliance will swallow this bait wholesale? What if they realize what he's doing and slow down the invasion so that conquered planets can start supporting themselves again? That would be something of a win for the Empire in delaying the Alliance so much for so little effort, but it would also be a humiliation as the Empire's enemies take and hold territory with no resistance. That affects military and civilian morale and thereby willingness to fight so not it's not merely a matter of pride.

Once again the success of one of this story's two golden boys will depend on their enemies willfully ignoring the basics of warcraft but I have little doubt the plot will accommodate.
May 30, 2016 10:27 AM

Aug 2014
So far everything is going according to Reinhard's plans, let's see how long that will last.
Oct 16, 2016 5:34 PM

Aug 2014
The tactics are simply brilliant.
Great Episode.
Dec 20, 2016 12:00 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Reinhard´s contrivance give his first steps, and this is solid respect the Fork/alianza idea!!!
Feb 6, 2018 11:05 PM
Nov 2017
had great effect, put the device of uprising in there...
Apr 18, 2018 9:09 AM
Sep 2016
Don’t get hung up on details. We only saw three ships, but no local Imperial fleet would have been able to fend the Alliance megafleet off. The episode makes its point, and it’s the emotional weight of the story that counts.

Another solid episode that builds suspense and teases the inevitable (?) clash between Yang and Reinhard.
Aug 29, 2018 3:17 PM

Feb 2017
I respect the choice made my the Viscount. He honoured the Empire's plan, his family, and his subjects to the best he could.
Nov 22, 2018 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
That old man is such a great character
Jan 24, 2019 5:47 AM

Oct 2012
I've been wanting to see more about how the common people live in the empire. So far all we've really seen are aristocrats, but with that usually comes massive poverty. These people seem like they're doing pretty good though. I'd like to see what it's like for the poorest people living under the less than noble lords and know what percentage that is of the population.
Oct 22, 2019 5:15 AM

Oct 2012
At least it's all went according to the plan
And nothing bad is happening.. for now

Surely this won't bite the Freedom guys
"Signature removed"
Aug 10, 2020 6:31 PM
Jul 2016
This is the poorest written episode thus far. The plan to starve planets of their resources so the supply lines of the Alliance are stretched sooner than later is an interesting idea but the way it was handled was piss poor. It is a logistical nightmare. The alliance is sending 30 million men on intragalactic assault that could last up to several months. Ask yourself how much food 30 million men can eat in that time. Enter new planet that is a fief of the Empire but is otherwise ruled by the planet's Monarch family. On this one planet and in this location where the monarchy reigns is a city... er town because their tallest buildings are only two stories tall and the roads are paved with dirt. This town is occupied by people wearing clothes that would fit in with pre-industial civilization from straw hats to suspenders. Not a vehicle in sight. Somehow on this one town, enough food can be demanded by the Empire to starve the entire planet. On the promise of the king, the peasants brought all their reserves of food to be expropriated. This food was brought in wooden boxes mind you, so pre-refrigeration as well, but more importantly was loaded on three starships in about two hours. If this town gave up 100% of its food, it didn't but for argument's sake suppose they did, they could literally harvest most of what they gave away. They're peasant farmers for god's sake! How much reserves could they even have? Do the poor bastards have electricity? What burden of food could a small town of say 1000 people put on a 30 million man fleet. Not much. Supposedly three starships carried away the planet's entire reserves too. Get out of here with that half-assed writing and come back with that good shit.
Nov 11, 2020 3:33 AM

Jul 2016
Sky said:
danz said:

The invasion hasn't even started yet. Wait until they have invaded a long number of planets and their supplies will run short.

How did this person not understand that comment.
Apr 4, 2021 7:48 PM
May 2020
fake it till you make it
Apr 18, 2021 1:57 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

Ulrich Kesler, whom we saw break up Lüneburg's fight with Reinhard in Gaiden 1.

Reinhard's used the scorched earth strategy. Fortunately, it's not a 100% literal one; as Kesler says he wouldn't needlessly starve the citizens. He wagers the Alliance would give the citizens they're "liberating" food.

Viscount Kleingelt, knows he's full of pride but won't drag others down with him and requests Kesler take his grandson Aubend and daughter-in-law Vier to Odin for safety.

Unlike her father-in-law, Vier would keep her relatives back in a potential warzone.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 14, 2021 9:09 AM
Nov 2020
reinhard is genius!
Jan 28, 2022 12:46 PM

Aug 2017
I'm surprised they decided to focus on a side character this time. I wonder if this person is going to be relevant later.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 4, 2022 11:23 AM

Dec 2007
i have mix feeling. on one hand i want reihnard's plan to succeeds, but i don't want the alliance's army to be completely destroyed. which i considering not gonna happen considering the number of episodes lol.

i quite liked how they made entirely story on one character for this lol.
though, again, it felt very americanish.

and of course entire planet will summarise up with one little village, just like star wars lol
Nov 13, 2022 4:25 PM

May 2018
Forks is an idiot. He will cost the lives of the Alliance Fleet
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 25, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.