Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2010 3:11 PM

Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Poor Andre
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Dec 21, 2010 4:59 AM

Apr 2010
This episode made me cry :(

Sep 1, 2011 1:29 PM

Dec 2007
...Er, M. Jarjyes, sir? You can't really have your daughter lead her whole life acting as a male and then suddenly tell her to stop that and be a woman and expect her to like it. That's just sudden and jarring and upsetting.

Also sorry Andre but after you tried to force yourself on her I don't feel bad for you.
Ich verstehe nicht
Sep 12, 2011 2:59 PM

Feb 2010
Oscar laughing in the beginning described very well how I felt about the sudden turn of events. Only on her it looked a bit hysterical.

Anyway, throughout the episode I was thinking Oscar might give in to her fathers wish (especially then after he was shot and almost dead) and I was saying to myself "If Oscar marries now I'll drop the show", but gladly everythign went better than expected.

Also @ Stringed: I think you're not doing justice to Andre. Such an outburst of 20 years suppressed feelings, that he instantly regretted before anything really happened, triggered by the thought of losing eyesight and never being able to see her again is just human. A mistake of course, but it makes him human.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 20, 2013 5:37 AM

Sep 2010
lol Oscar went to the ball dressed in her military uniform. I knew she wasn't going to choose anyone, but I really want to see her in a dress one last time before the series is over.

Still feeling bad for Andre he really loves Oscar and the thought of her getting married to another man just set him off.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 26, 2013 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
Poor guy.To be honest, I really want to see oscar in a dress one last time, but instead a uniform.
Oct 25, 2013 12:35 AM

Jul 2008
Lol, oh what is her dad thinking? First raise her as a man then oops I changed my mind to wear dresses and be a woman starting now. Good for Oscar going to the ball like that.

But poor Andre indeed.
Feb 4, 2014 12:24 PM

Nov 2012
One of the best episodes so far. this anime is getting better and better.
Oct 6, 2014 6:01 PM

Mar 2012
Well played Oscar, well played.
Mar 10, 2015 4:27 PM

Apr 2014
hahahaha I would give up my life for Oscar's amazing laugh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2015 12:41 AM

Jan 2010
Oscar's father accepting Oscar's decision to forsake her womanhood to take up the duties of a man, yet still being torn at what he had done, just upped my respect for this show. A lesser show would have had the father been the cruel uptight figure forcing his daughter to live a certain way. In fact, he had already done that by bringing Oscar up as a man. Instead, he realizes that he succeed far beyond what he hoped, and there's no turning back. Yet, he can't help but feel remorse and sorrow at ruining Oscar's chances at finding happiness as a woman.

Holy crap these are complex characters. And this is on top of difficult gender and sexuality questions with no real answers.

Anyways, I'm having a dilemma with this show. I can't see Oscar as a woman, but I refer to her as a "her" or a "she." It's perhaps the weakness of the English language, or perhaps a weakness of Latin-based languages, I'm not sure. In my mind, I don't associate any feminine traits with her, but as I speak about her, I must refer to her as a woman. It feels so odd having to discern the disconnect between what I think and what I say.
Dec 14, 2015 7:34 PM
Jul 2015
Shocked said:
Oscar's father accepting Oscar's decision to forsake her womanhood to take up the duties of a man, yet still being torn at what he had done, just upped my respect for this show. A lesser show would have had the father been the cruel uptight figure forcing his daughter to live a certain way. In fact, he had already done that by bringing Oscar up as a man. Instead, he realizes that he succeed far beyond what he hoped, and there's no turning back. Yet, he can't help but feel remorse and sorrow at ruining Oscar's chances at finding happiness as a woman.<br />
<br />
Holy crap these are complex characters. And this is on top of difficult gender and sexuality questions with no real answers. <br />
<br />
Anyways, I'm having a dilemma with this show. I can't see Oscar as a woman, but I refer to her as a &quot;her&quot; or a &quot;she.&quot; It's perhaps the weakness of the English language, or perhaps a weakness of Latin-based languages, I'm not sure. In my mind, I don't associate any feminine traits with her, but as I speak about her, I must refer to her as a woman. It feels so odd having to discern the disconnect between what I think and what I say.

Well said!
Jan 9, 2016 3:03 PM
Nov 2014
This episode made me feel like shit, so sad. But well played from Oscar attending the party with her military outfit, cool to see Oscar's father accepting what her decision is.
Feb 25, 2016 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
GG. Oscar plays the game perfectly, better than anyone else. What a way to attend a ball.
Apr 21, 2017 5:29 AM

Jun 2016
I'll confess: I did a fistpump when Oscar's dad got shot - unfortunately, the worst possible outcome happened and he was able to use his condition to emotionally blackmail Oscar into going to the ball. Thankfully, Oscar is going to have none of it. Towards the end, though, her father kinda redeemed himself by deciding to let his daughter find her own happiness, for once.
Jul 7, 2017 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
Really Dad, you can't just raise your daughter as a man for more than 20 years ever since she was born and then ask her to start to live as a girl on cue. It's not like I don't understand where he's coming from but imagine how confusing it is for her. Poor Oscar, really, alas at least she's contented with what she chose in the end. Poor Andre too but I've been saying this ever since Fersen popped up, so.
bossmamaJul 7, 2017 5:54 AM
Jul 11, 2017 8:38 AM

Jul 2015
"Don't lie to yourself that you're a man. You're a woman"

You fucker, I have no words right now.

Oscar gained a bit of respect from my part near the end tho, I definitely can't see her as the character that fans of the anime seem to love, but that was good.
Dec 13, 2017 6:59 PM

Nov 2016
Oscar should follow her own path and eventually find happiness that way, even if her father has good intentions.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 2018 7:36 AM
Jan 2018
O pai de Oscar se arrependeu tarde, mas ele entendeu que agora é ela quem fax as escolhas da vida. Pobre André, sinto tanto por ele.
Apr 24, 2018 12:43 PM

Apr 2016
Respect to Lord Jarjayes! Sadly, I think Oscar's tunnel vision has become too strong; no matter how many times Andre tries to hammer hit into her thick skull, she'll continue chasing after her fleeting idea of happiness in "manhood".

And now, the revolution begins.
Jan 12, 2019 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
It's wonderful to see how Oscar's father starts seeing his sins and regretting what he's done to her since birth.
He saw that he could joy over her as his daughter and not as a son; becauseause her beauty is beyond and she can be desired & loved as a woman.
Jan 7, 2020 12:11 AM
Sep 2013
I appreciate at the end, Oscar's father finally starts to see Oscar as herself. He's been trying to fit her this way and that, into a wholesale "man" or "son" role, then "woman" or "daughter" and it's like the last scene is where he finally lovingly reminisces over her being Oscar.

No wonder she can't she herself as one whole person though. She doesn't live in a world where she can just be a woman who's made of masculine and feminine attributes, with closet space for both elegant dresses AND tight, high wasted pants with billowy pirate blouses.
Sep 11, 2020 1:31 AM

Jul 2015
Even though it's confusing to see Oscar's dad change from raising Oscar as man to woman, I'm glad he realised his mistakes and wishes for Oscar's happiness at the end.

"What a strange ball. Not a single lady is attending" good game Oscar, well played

Jan 22, 2021 9:33 PM

Mar 2020
Amazing episode, best one so far for me. I really like the addition of the french guard tho, that fight scene with Andre was cool. It was nice to see Oscar's dad show some remorse towards what he has done, but him trying to make Oscar marry Girodelle just seemed... confusing? She didn't even have any feelings for him... and she wants to live as a man now so just let her be. That Saint Just guy is crazy tho, I feel like he's the one
that's gonna start the revolution.

This is getting so hype, let's go 10 more to go.
Joe, Joe Forever....
Feb 17, 2021 1:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Poor Andre. It never rains on him, it just comes pouring down. At least he has someone watching his back.

Oscar finally accepts that she'll live as a man. Well done.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 4, 2021 4:47 AM

Nov 2018
GG
well played
I hate everyone equally
Mar 31, 2021 11:19 PM

Aug 2018
Oh fuck off, just get married and become a mother. She is starting to annoy me, acting like marriage is torture of something.

I feel bad for Andre, getting beat up by all those guys.
I also feel bad for Girodelle, but oh well.

Jul 6, 2021 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
Stringed said:
...Er, M. Jarjyes, sir? You can't really have your daughter lead her whole life acting as a male and then suddenly tell her to stop that and be a woman and expect her to like it. That's just sudden and jarring and upsetting.

Also sorry Andre but after you tried to force yourself on her I don't feel bad for you.

I still feel bad for Andre though. Andre is willing to sacrifice his life for her. He also loved Oscar for 20 years regardless if Oscar is manly and tomboyish. It’s remarkable devotion. Oscar somehow liked Fersen instead.

It’s hard for Oscar to change her personality after being raised as a commander and guard for so long.
May 30, 2022 3:28 PM

Dec 2021
Amatniki said:
Oh fuck off, just get married and become a mother. She is starting to annoy me, acting like marriage is torture of something.

I dont think you understand the complexities of a woman raised as a man serving in the army

That's like asking Casca from Berserk to suddenly get married out the blue "cuz she's a woman"

I mean yes , both characters are female ,, but they are far from the traditional "woman" archetypes
Jun 15, 2022 7:06 PM

Apr 2020
Man I’m glad Oscar’s father finally realized his mistakes. Let’s hope Oscar can find her happiness. Also, poor Andre still suffering.
Oct 22, 2022 9:48 PM

Apr 2016
Good to know her dad's reasoning was because he was worried of her well-being especially now that Oscar is working with the guard and is getting not respect but still understand and respect her decision at the end.

Now that was a beating, poor Andre.

Overall, it was a great episode.
Nov 4, 2022 12:29 PM
Jan 2021
This was the best episode so far. Holy... I really REALLY loved how Oscar acted in the ball. Also seeing Oscar and her father's complexity as a character made me amazed of this show.
Dec 1, 2022 2:34 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It was a surprise, Oscar with the military suit!!! kekeke
Jun 2, 2023 8:12 AM

Jan 2021
No, no. To me, that's insolent. After more than 20 years of Oscar having to live her life as a man with all the hardships that come with it, her father asking her to forgive him just like that? That's really disrespecting the feelings and struggles that Oscar has gone through. After Oscar had made up her mind to live the life her father wanted her to live since the age of 14 (when she was appointed to Marie Antoinette for the first time), her father suddenly wanted her to live as a woman now? I'm really sorry but I don't feel sad at all seeing Oscar's father cry....

Oscar attending the ball in her military uniform and saying that there was not a single lady there was very satisfying! Hahaha, just as expected from Oscar! ♡

Anyway.. aaaa.. umm, I actually quite like Girodelle but I don't see any chemistry between him and Oscar, they are just perfect as.. friends? Maybe I'm biased too, because I was rooting for Andre x Oscar from the beginning, hahaha.

Dec 7, 2023 8:31 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to kushmonatl
Amatniki said:

I dont think you understand the complexities of a woman raised as a man serving in the army

That's like asking Casca from Berserk to suddenly get married out the blue "cuz she's a woman"

I mean yes , both characters are female ,, but they are far from the traditional "woman" archetypes
@kushmonatl You're not talking to a human, unfortunately. That guy is the least empathetic and most sexist person I've seen on this site.
Dec 7, 2023 8:32 AM

Apr 2017
Oscar pretty much just gave a giant middle finger to the whole courtship and ball process, and you know what? I'm actually here for it.
Feb 6, 9:52 AM

Jun 2015
Is her father for real? After forcing her to live like a man and forcing her to serve in the royal guards, now he wants to force her to live a normal woman's life? If my math is mathing correctly, she should be thirty now or near thirty. He wasted the rose stage of his daughter's life and now that she chooses to live like men, he wants her to find a woman's happiness? Didn't he consider her age? her ability to bear children? the fact that there's a high probability her body is scarred now because of old wounds? Beautiful as she is, if she gets married, it will be for purely political reasons. She will be treated like damaged goods for the rest of her life. Her husband will act like he did her a favor by marrying her. This is a problem we see in modern society. Now imagine that in 18th century France. Not all men are like Fersen or Andre, or even surprisingly Girodelle, will see her for the beautiful woman she is. They will just see a bargain.

But truly Girodelle rushing to ask for her hand in marriage is surprising. What! Did she captured his heart the moment she kicked his ass? This is the only amusing bit in this whole all hell break loose situation.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.