Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 31, 2019 10:22 AM
May 2017
I really liked this episode, was nice to know the past of Hana-chan, it's touched hard my feelings (TwT)
Aug 31, 2019 10:27 AM

Jan 2018
I love the conclusion no her story. if you have the right people in oyur life, you'll never go "evil" but evil has many meanings but as to stray away from your path can be considered as one. having parents like that which worries and encourages you instead of ignoring and scolding you can really make the difference and especially meeting Tohru. meeting Tohru has really made an impact to her and I really love it.

definitely will be reading the manga after this season ends
Aug 31, 2019 12:14 PM

Apr 2018
Man, this ep really hit me right in the heart. Seeing Saki getting bullied really hit me. This ep was really good as we get to see Saki's past.
Aug 31, 2019 3:09 PM

Jun 2014
KlinyKlinn said:

definitely will be reading the manga after this season ends

You might want to read it from the beginning, because they shuffled some chapters around so things happen in a different order. Also, they changed and added some things too.

Another good episode which didn't happen in the old anime because it happens later in the manga (chapter 51). Uotani got 2 episodes so it's nice that Hanajima got 2 episodes too.

Like KlinyKlinn said, having parents like that which worry and encourage you instead of ignoring and scolding you can really make the difference and especially meeting a person like Tooru. I trully wish I had parents and (a) sibling(s) like that and a friend like Tooru.

Now we will get to the darkest part of 1st season which was also in the last 3 episodes of the old anime (can't wait, it's my favourite part).

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenSep 4, 2019 12:36 PM
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Aug 31, 2019 4:20 PM

Aug 2018
This anime is really consistent with its great episode every week, it never stale like other 2 cour shows.It always play with my emotions.

Finally an episode from my favorite character from this series, Hanajima!!!Fvck I almost cry from this episode like from Uo-chans episode.

I've been waiting for this backstory and they dedicated 2 episode for her like Uo-chan.Both were emotional and i say this ep is one of the best from this anime.

Prayers really do come true

B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 31, 2019 5:26 PM

Feb 2017
This was such a great episode
Aug 31, 2019 6:35 PM

Dec 2018
it got me arrrgh i felt almost tearful throughout its runtime :( bully sucks tbh
Aug 31, 2019 9:31 PM
Feb 2019
another incredible of Fruba, loving this series more and more each week. I have always enjoyed Hanajima's character, and this episode really put the spotlight on her. Her past before meeting Tohru and Uo and after were incredibly well done and made me really feel for Hanajima. Now that we are coming to the final three episodes, I'm really interested in seeing how they end off the first season. I have not read the manga or watched the 01 anime, so this will be really interesting, and I hope it turns out even better than this episode. Again, personal anime of the season and anime of the year so far, keep it up!!!
Aug 31, 2019 11:10 PM
Jan 2018
Her powers were real? Well shit!
Sep 1, 2019 3:34 AM
Jan 2019
the story was bitter and sweet
it was heartwarming episode
I guess that kid deserves that I want him to be dead but obscures the bullying and bad rumors will be a bit harder
that prayer has been answered I'm glad
Sep 1, 2019 4:57 AM

Apr 2018
Oh so Saki's powers are the real deal huh. Saki's backstory is a bit sad but good thing her brother and her friends are there. Uo really looks like Tohru's mom lmao
Sep 1, 2019 6:17 AM

Jul 2014
Have to say, I'm surprised to learn that Hanajima's powers were the real deal, but I suppose it wasn't out of the realms of possibility with the whole zodiac thing. Still, another fantastic episode of this show, making up for last week's episode and then some. It's interesting though how much the framing of the comments towards Hanajima changes our perception of them as viewers: last week, the show attempted to play Yuki's fan club's fear of her and her powers as comedic, but this week it's treated seriously and we see just how much of a negative impact that treatment has had on her.
Sep 1, 2019 7:31 AM

Oct 2008
OH MY GOD! This episode is so emotional it almost made me teared-up!
I'm very happy and grateful for Hanajima that Tohru & Ao-chan met her in her darkest and hardest days/moments!
OST is on spot as well!
5/5.

Sep 1, 2019 1:19 PM
Oct 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
Looks like Fruits Basket continues the trend of having stronger episodes whenever a backstory happens.

I think that's because we haven't reached the best present day chapters yet because oh boy they're something . Get hyped tho because we're finally starting it from next week
Sep 1, 2019 2:36 PM

Jun 2016
This was one of the best episodes of the series. i’ve always loved Hana but her backstory was truly heartwarming. The prayer scene was eapecially well done <3
Sep 1, 2019 6:53 PM

Apr 2012
Arisa throws gay jokes like hotcakes, while Tohru is even more silly than usual. Hmm, the girls have really changed since that times.

Piromysl said:
"If you do not fit in don't change yourself, but your surround."
This episode gave me serious Kotoura-san vibes. 5/5

The same.
Sep 1, 2019 7:29 PM

Nov 2018
The boys who bullied Saki were such disgusting jerks. Huh, the bullying only intensified? Sickening.
Megumi and Saki's conversation was very good.
Matchstick abuse...
It was sad to see Saki keep blaming herself.
Tohru and Arisa becoming friends with Saki and later how two of the students confronted her over the exaggerated+false rumors related to her powers. The way she ran away but Tohru ran after her and on Saki trying to push her away, grabbed her hands. And Arisa appeared and asked her the question. All those tears and her answer. I could literally feel goosebumps over my face.
Kyoko's wise words. I cried.
OrangeCloudsSep 1, 2019 7:33 PM
Sep 2, 2019 11:52 AM

Feb 2008
I remember these chapters makin me bawl back when i read the manga in '06 and im glad it conveyed that same emotion ;w;
Sep 2, 2019 2:13 PM
Jan 2019
This was a very sad episode with such a beautiful ending, that I finished watching it with tears in my eyes. Hana's past at school was bitter, lonely and sad, but she had a gentle family that, despite everything, loved and loves her very much. Megumi, is a great brother, as he said "In this world full of people, it is not possible that there is no person to encourage you," and it is true, Hana met two great people who became her unconditional friends, Tohru and Uo-chan. The words of Tohru's mother said to Hana, they were right, I couldn't have said it better. Another story that leaves me a great lesson.
I definitely can't stop loving this anime, with each episode my love for this story grows more and more.

Ps: It was very surprising to know that Hana really has powers. Wow! And I thought you were joking about that.
Sep 2, 2019 10:43 PM

Jul 2012
Holy hell this anime hits you right in the feels!
To be honest I didn't like last week episode (at least the first half) but I absolutely loved this one.
Megumi is such a nice boy, what a great brother.
Sep 3, 2019 3:13 AM

Dec 2013
the feels were real once again <3 glad that Hana-chan gets the happiness she deserves
Sep 3, 2019 7:52 AM

Aug 2007
I liked how they manage the adaption in here. How they put Saki's feelings, her family, the bulling, etc in the episode. An excellent episode that show that Saki wasn't a strong person at all. Until she met Tooru and Uotani.

The anime is finishing.

Sep 3, 2019 8:19 AM

Jul 2017
Wave Girl Hanajima Saki finally got her backstory, and it's ten, no, hundred times worse than what Uotani Arisa had to go through. A life of tragedy and bullying, so much so that as much as her parents adore her a lot, they made utmost sacrifices for her to grow better.

The moment Tohru and Arisa appeared (already friends beforehand) without prejudice, they treated Saki like a friend, and it's a good thing she adjusted to it quickly, even without her noticing.

It hurts not knowing how much you draw away from people, yet know that people treasure you for who you are.

Lots of emotions and tearjerks certainly, beautiful yet astoundingly dark that ends on a bliss for Saki.

Great episode that ends Saki's backstory on a good note.
Sep 3, 2019 10:32 AM
Aug 2019
Oh my days, this was totally the most powerful, emotional and moving of all of the FB episodes by far and then some IMO ^_^
Sep 4, 2019 12:42 AM

Apr 2016
Goodness! ANOTHER sad backstory with a "I'm not worthy of love" monologue over it with Torhu being the light of hope at the end. I rap on KyoAni and P.A. Works for each of their shows being the same sob story, but Fruits Basket is starting to take the cake for the most amount of rehashes of the exact same story within the same series.

I'm not sure if I said this before, but I love the visuals of the season 2 ending. The song, not so much.

Seriously
We're 22 episodes in and there have been maybe three our four episodes that weren't the same sob story
- Almost every episode starts out with SoL shenanigans
- Torhu bumps into the Zodiac of the week
- Hangs out with the new character. Said Zodiac obviously hints at some sort of self-confidence problem brought upon by a tragic backstory.
- After the halfway way point of the episode (about 12 minutes in) we flashback to the Zodiac's sob story backstory as they narrate with sad piano music playing
- Zodiac has an emotional outburst
- Torhu comes and hugs them and says "no please love yourself!"
- The Zodiac is mindblown and begins crying in Torhu's arms
Exact same formula for nearly 22 episodes!

Make it stop!

DeadlyRavenSep 4, 2019 12:35 PM
Sep 4, 2019 12:05 PM
May 2018
Valyrian1124 said:
Seriously
We're 22 episodes in and there have been maybe three our four episodes that weren't the same sob story
- Hangs out with the new character. Said Zodiac obviously hints at some sort of self-confidence problem brought upon by a tragic backstory.
- After the halfway way point of the episode (about 12 minutes in) we flashback to the Zodiac's sob story backstory as they narrate with sad piano music playing

Make it stop!

Wow, if you don't like this show, why you watch it from the first one ?
Sep 4, 2019 2:03 PM

Apr 2016
SakataZoldyck said:
Valyrian1124 said:
Seriously

Make it stop!

I wouldn't be 22 episodes in unless I was enjoying the show :)
Sep 4, 2019 10:12 PM

Jan 2019
I came in with no expectations, having not watched the original because I believe my rationale at the time was, "Ew that looks like its for GURLZ"

Every episode just hits me in a new way. I appreciate a show that can make me feel things while still having an opportunity to make me laugh when appropriate.

I don't know why I was surprised that Saki's powers are to some extent real- given the Somas exist lol.
Sep 5, 2019 6:51 AM
Jan 2018
ohhh Hanajima focused episode nice and didn't know the wave thing was an actual power though it was one of those things you learn or like fortune telling or something
Sep 5, 2019 5:40 PM

Aug 2019
Valyrian1124 said:
SakataZoldyck said:

I wouldn't be 22 episodes in unless I was enjoying the show :)

Not going to lie you can't blame them for thinking other wise with a post worded like that which sounds like nothing but complaining. Im just wondering what you're expecting out of a Shoujo slice of life, all the stuff you complained about are the norm for this genre. Its easy to make anything sound poorly written on this site.
Byleth-KunSep 5, 2019 5:44 PM
Sep 6, 2019 5:48 AM

May 2016
This show gets me every week.

Hana chan, I never knew her powers were that strong, I'm glad that she met Honda and Arisa, all because of Megu's prayer.
Sep 6, 2019 6:40 AM
Oct 2018
Valyrian1124 said:
Goodness! ANOTHER sad backstory with a "I'm not worthy of love" monologue over it with Torhu being the light of hope at the end. I rap on KyoAni and P.A. Works for each of their shows being the same sob story, but Fruits Basket is starting to take the cake for the most amount of rehashes of the exact same story within the same series.

I'm not sure if I said this before, but I love the visuals of the season 2 ending. The song, not so much.

Seriously

Make it stop!

Ok hear me out. As a manga reader i completely get it. The problem here is that all these backstories are very far apart in the manga.

So when adapted together they feel very repetitive. The author decided to place them all in season 1.

Because in season 2 the story will get pretty dark and will focus on akito and the main trio more, if a backstory was placed there it will just disrupt the flow. I actually agree with this decision.

We're officially done with most of the backstories.From todays episode the main plot will finally start and we'll see more of the main trio.
Sep 6, 2019 9:00 AM

May 2012
ggultra2764 said:
Chapter 51 got adapted in this latest episode covering Saki's past and another instance of manga material that was never covered in the 2001 anime. This episode shortened some scenes from the manga and removed a good chunk of Saki's narration while the episode covered her past. I won't cover all instances where the narration was removed or shortened, but here's all the notable differences I took notice of in this episode:

-Much of Saki’s narration at the start of Chapter 51 was replaced in the anime with her hearing the inner thoughts of everyone around her. In addition, there were a couple additional lines in the manga from her family before realizing how overwhelmed she was with hearing everyone’s thoughts.
-A good chunk of Saki’s narration and interactions with her family upon waking up were removed from the anime. This includes Saki contemplating the problems having her ability has when interacting with others and her family trying to sort out how to have her learn to control her power.
-When going to school while being bullied by some boys, Saki was in a shirt with a long-length skirt in the manga instead of a dress.
-Saki’s narration regarding her school bullying and another scene where boys at school torment her were removed from the anime.
-Saki’s monologue about dressing in black and being bullied was shortened and changed respectively for the manga. In the manga, Saki’s school textbooks were vandalized. The anime scene showing Saki being tripped up by other classmates was taken from a later scene in the manga.
-Some of Saki and Megumi’s conversation was removed from the anime which involved Megumi going into more detail about why he was interested in learning more about curses.
-A scene showing middle school students being intimidated by Saki as she walks through the hallway was removed from the anime.
-While a teacher was reprimanding for Saki for her black finger nails, there is a small bit removed from the anime that showed Saki’s parents allowing her to wear black finger paint in place of not being allowed to wear black at the new school she moved to.
-Saki’s monologue about interacting with Arisa and Tohru was removed for the anime.
-During the gym scene as Saki monologued about her closeness to Arisa and Tohru, Saki and Tohru were wearing gym bloomers in the manga instead of sweatpants.
-During the scene where Saki, her friends, and family members were together, Saki’s father was not present in the manga and the hug that Saki received from her mother in response to controlling her powers was added for the anime. There is also a removed bit from the scene where Saki’s grandmother told Saki that the boy she used her powers on from years ago was doing well now and Saki hoped to someday apologize to him.
-Saki hearing the thoughts of other reacting to her wearing black while in the park was added for the anime.

Thank you for this, absolutely love to know the comparison bit from the manga
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Sep 6, 2019 12:54 PM
Jul 2019
This show... all the feels. Love in all forms is what makes life worth living.
Sep 6, 2019 1:06 PM

Apr 2016
fiza_imran said:
Ok hear me out. As a manga reader i completely get it. The problem here is that all these backstories are very far apart in the manga.

So when adapted together they feel very repetitive. The author decided to place them all in season 1.

Because in season 2 the story will get pretty dark and will focus on akito and the main trio more, if a backstory was placed there it will just disrupt the flow. I actually agree with this decision.

We're officially done with most of the backstories.From todays episode the main plot will finally start and we'll see more of the main trio.

Ah, nice to know! :)
Sep 6, 2019 1:15 PM
Aug 2019
Ooooohhh, super hot new long haired guy character alert!!! Kyo’s shisho (master) is now on the scene!!! ^_^ <3
Sep 6, 2019 7:33 PM

Jun 2013
Hana-chan is my favorite female character in the series, even more than Tohru, Uo, Kissa, etc. I'm glad she got her own two episodes dedicated on telling her story.

Those kids that bullied her were fucking shit but let's be honest, it happens a lot in real life and most of the time, teachers, parents and even classmates don't do anything. In a lot of cases, the other classmates will join in tormenting that person. Teachers and parents ignore it and parents of the bullies will think that their precious little shit is too angelic to harm a fly.

I am also glad that Hana still has her powers, she has accepted it as a part of herself and just like me, she loves the color black and feels more calm when wearing it.
臭い-
Sep 7, 2019 2:38 AM

Oct 2017
Saki's story alsmt made me cry, gd job hanging in there Saki. Even with all those bullying she held on and finally met Tohru and Uotani. Also Megumi is really such a nice brother, glad his prayers were answered.
Btw all this time i thght Saki's power thng was a sort of joke lol.
Sep 7, 2019 12:10 PM

Nov 2009
I find it interesting how ppls here thought her powers were fake...

When throughout the series she has shown evidence that her powers are Real...

In fact, episode 21 was the set up for this episode.

(as for bullying... we already talked about this in a previous episode...)

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1795303&show=50

___ ___ ___

FK Bullies... personally if I had the power, I would have slaughtered all of them like Death Note. Much more enjoyable than being the scapegoat whenever something bad happens to them.

At one point, in school, I actually felt like doing a school shooting, but then decided they're not worth it. (tho I did curse them all to die, and I still do wish they die to this day, can't tell since I moved states, so no idea what happened to them, those bastards) (BTW, this actually includes asshole Teachers that trust other students when they place the blames on me)

___ ___ ___

That's why I can really understand how Hanajima felt, except I had no "real friends" to back me up. Nor am I "kind" like Hanajima that doesn't want to hurt others.

Only thing that kept me sane was watching anime... without anime I would probably killed at least 50 ppls already. (cause I have no other hobbies, I don't listen to Music/ interested in any Band, Don't play ANY Sports nor interested in any sports, don't care about anything related to Real Life in general cause Real Life sucks)

Basically you know that new upcoming "Joker" movie, that would be me if anime didn't existed.
amlgSep 7, 2019 12:32 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Sep 8, 2019 2:50 AM
Sep 2019
I'm so glad that we got to see Saki's backstory. It seems that she's been through a lot. This episode made me really emotional.
Sep 10, 2019 5:12 PM

Sep 2018
Those bully kids, they deserve it! Hana-chan don't do anything wrong, she's only different to other kids.. I really hate bullying!
Megumi is such a kind kid, his prayer has been heard <3 Tohru is really an angel :)
Sep 25, 2019 7:10 AM

Dec 2013
Poor Saki didn’t deserve to get bullied.

This show really loves its school bullying...
Oct 15, 2019 5:56 PM

Jun 2015
megumi is such a sweet brother with good intent, thank god his prayer worked out
Oct 21, 2019 7:37 AM

Oct 2013
This episode made me appreciate Hanajima far more than previously. They should've started with this shit so I wouldn't have spent 20 episodes finding her hipster pseudo-goth supernatural psychic wave schlock obnoxious.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 27, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2017
Much better than the last episode. The bullying here was worse than I imagined.

So, she actually had supernatural powers lol.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 9, 2019 1:02 PM
Mar 2019
This has been my favorite episode of the series. Hana chan has such a painfully sad backstory. And while you could argue the backstories of each protagonist are sorrowful in their own rights; Hana's story had very relatable characteristics to it that I'm sure many of us connected to.
For anyone who finds a deeper connection to this story, there is light at the end of the tunnel, you just have to hold on when you find it and learn to forgive yourself
<3

Zadion said:
This episode made me appreciate Hanajima far more than previously. They should've started with this shit so I wouldn't have spent 20 episodes finding her hipster pseudo-goth supernatural psychic wave schlock obnoxious.

Its funny; I was kind of thinking this exact same thing throughout most of the show. There is a very stark difference between this latter half of the show and the middle episodes that kind of lulled on. I think the emotional impact of these last couple backstories would have worked fine in the middle of the season, but you do have to appreciate the build up and false sense of serenity the direction of this show has created.
KidLeafNov 9, 2019 1:06 PM
Nov 10, 2019 7:48 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
KingLeonard23 said:
Amazing episode..I really love how this show keeps fleshing out characters making you care about all of them and Arisa & Hana-chan are probably my favorite. Their relationship with Tohru is so sweet

So so.
Of the two of them, Hana-chan was my favorite, tbh I do think she is rather cute looking even with all that black, it suits her (specially the nails), and it was endearing to see she having such a great family supporting her, it is what allowed her to meet Tohru in the end...

A really strong episode, in particular the bullying, drama was really good here, managed to make me tear up for a good chunck (also loved the past episode).
Backstories in FB are really interesting~~

Hope Hana-chan meets someone in the future that she can comprehend her and adore her for her own traits, such a good girl.
I in particular adore how much overprotective of Tohru, she is. (there is some potential there for some good yuri, but I will refrain from going further in that direction)
Dec 6, 2019 6:16 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Hana's got powers too!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 7, 2019 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
Hana unintentionally breaking her promise to herself not to use her powers to harm others because of how strongly she didn't want Tohru and Arisa to know about her past got me.

This may be the adaptation's best episode yet. The directing has never been better, which is great because it's been this anime's most negative point.
I was put off by the beginning of the episode. The manga does an amazing job at building up tension with Hana's bullying, so when she almost kills the brat it climaxes. It gives her horror and resolution not to do it ever again more strenght. Her backstory had to fit in a 20 minutes episode though so choices had to be made. Eventually my review is positive because I thought it executed everything else amazingly. Megumi and Saki's siblinghood, the care of her family, Saki's sense of responsability and inner feelings, the impact meeting Arisa and Tohru had on her life, it was all conveyed well. We were even shown Kyouko's bond with Saki.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2019

167 by LucasDoragon »»
Yesterday, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2019

184 by LucasDoragon »»
Yesterday, 3:42 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

233 by kiteall »»
May 12, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

219 by kiteall »»
May 9, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

192 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 8, 8:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.